Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Ok guys, half an hour ago i was playing with a new G5 on a product demo here in Portugal.

All I can say is... WOW!!!! Im really amazed with this new machine. The touch of it its awsome and the design is something really out of this world. The photos on the apple website dont make it enough justice. Taking out the cover is easy and the inside of the machine is outstanding! Those heatsinks are a work of art! Taking out the fans is easy as well, you just need to pull them off.

Now for the tests... The machine was a Dual G5 with 1GB of RAM running 10.2.7(of course). It didnt had internet so i couldnt get some bench tools to try it on, but i did some common benchs. Boot up time was 51 seconds, from Chime to working Dock and Finder. Photoshop took 3 bounces to open on a cold start and it was photoshop 7.01, so it wasnt ready for the G5. Finder search or anything you do on the finder is fast, when i say fast im comparing it to my QuickSilver Dual G4 1Ghz. Resizing windows was excelent.

The G5 had FCP 4 on it and all i can say that i was amazed with it, both the software and the hardware performance. Its fast doing the LiveType renders on some complex stuff.

A friend of mine that was with me, is a photoshop geek, so he runned the PS benchmarks of is own. Radial blurs after radial blurs the machine hanged in there fast, taking both processors to the max for several minutes. You could hear the fans starting to blow a bit stronger, with all the effort that it was making. Oh, yeah, the sound of the machine is almost not hearable. Im used to constant fans, but this PM sure isnt constant at all. Its always adjusting the fan speeds to the inside temperature. But fear not, you cant hear a damn thing until the sucker goes to the max! And... Its still damn quiet! My Quicksilver is noisier, much noisier! Jonathan Ive really deserves congratulations on this one! You can feel the heat coming out of the back, it really blows a lot heat, but the fans remain quiet. Its amazing.

On Multitasking... well, we had photoshop doing a Radial Blur on a big file and we opened all the apps on the dock ( FCP 4, iDVD, iTunes, Safari, Lightwave, Quark 6, Address book, etc) and there wasnt a performance hit at all! If the machine did that with only 1GB of RAM i can only imagine the behaviour of that beast with 8GB of RAM.

In conclusion: This is one hardcore PowerMac!! I think that the only thing that its holding its legs is the software, even the OS! Its beatifully designed, its quiet, its awsome just to stare at the insides of it, its easy to expand (taking the HD out takes 10 seconds and the same amount of time to put one in) and its fast, very fast! With Panther that "kick ass" Powermac will fly! Its a machine that I advise to all Power users, but you make sure to get a lot of RAM, those G5's are hungry!

I dont know what more can I say, its already 2:27 AM here, so if you have any questions please feel free to make them. I'll try to post some photos later.

Photos: http://www.iclub.com.pt/art_pmg5_live.html

P-Worm

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Your title "Just Been with a G5" brought some weird sexual images to my head. Ahhh! Get them out!

But seriously, this sounds like a rocken machine. I have the Dual 1 Ghz also and if you are blown away with the g5's speed it must rock.

P-Worm

CaVoLo

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2003
sweetness...im so excited....im ordering my G5 in a couple weeks...i just got all my "accesories" tonight (mouse, speakers, etc.)

can't wait!!

evil

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
Originally posted by P-Worm
Your title "Just Been with a G5" brought some weird sexual images to my head. Ahhh! Get them out!

But seriously, this sounds like a rocken machine. I have the Dual 1 Ghz also and if you are blown away with the g5's speed it must rock.

P-Worm

hahah i thought the same weird thing.

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
I've been thinking about being with a G5 for months...When I finally see it in person I will have to keep reminding myself that I'm taken......

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
sounds great i cant wait to try one at my apple retailer..
when it shows up.

i just wonder how much faster it is clock for clock over a g4

if you have a dual 1ghz g4.. well the dual 2ghz g5 should atleast seem twice as fast.. just for the mhz

so even if the new machine was a dual 2ghz G4! it should seem very quick

some of the info ive read.. online.. doesnt really give a good indication of how much the g5 is faster then the G4 when at the same clock speed.

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
I've got a Dual 800 G4 and its speed is awesome in Final Cut Pro, running with two 22-monitors, this machine sounds kickass

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
since i love laptops so much, i wonder when apple will go mobile with the processor

amd already has their athlon64 in a working pc laptop, so i hope apple has their powerbook g5 soon

that being said, i know i will be very excited when i see the new g5 desktop:)

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
Yeah, nice. Definitely gonna grow on some people. The back seems a little PC-like, but probably because they've had that crappy-looking galvanized stuff or whatever for the backplate for a while.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Photo

Attachments

• g5.jpg
    g5.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 487

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Thanks for the little review! The Powermac G5 sounds more and more beastly (in the good sense) as weeks go by :)

The fan cooling system sounds like it will prove to be another great Apple 'mac only' innovation. Although I have slight concerns about the software needed to govern it. Imagine this scenario -
- Boot up in a different OS (some kind of unix for example)
- Do some hard processing for 5 minutes
- Smell that burning PPC 970 and watch the plastic zone divider ooze out through the front grill. Could be quite messy :/

On a side note... A few others noticed this - "Just been with a G5!" sounds fairly sexual. If you said that here, maybe 90% of the population would think you've slept with it. Only the small percentage of mac users would understand why ;)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Ooh, sexy.

Originally posted by TMA
The fan cooling system sounds like it will prove to be another great Apple 'mac only' innovation. Although I have slight concerns about the software needed to govern it. Imagine this scenario -
- Boot up in a different OS (some kind of unix for example)
- Do some hard processing for 5 minutes
- Smell that burning PPC 970 and watch the plastic zone divider ooze out through the front grill. Could be quite messy.
Could've sworn this was already mentioned, but actually it's the opposite. The fans slow down through software. And it's possibly in the firmware. If it's not enabled, the fans will run at full speed, not slower or shut off. They'll be really loud, but really cool. You could take them out, but it would probably void your warranty.

Originally posted by solvs

You could take them out, but it would probably void your warranty.
no it wouldent, the powermac line would alow you to take anything out and swap in anything else you can imagine, just as long as you dont open the little boxes with the processers inthem im sure apple wont care, for instince, someone may wanna replace the fans with diffrent fans that are a diff color, or blacklight sensitive, and then toss in a blacklight in your case and run it with just the plastic side pannel and youve got your self a funny looking computer

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
I meant "take them out", as in "no fans" take them out. :D

Sorry, I should have made a smilie face or something to note sarcasm. :p

That would void you warranty. But I suppose you could just put them back in. "Uh, it just melted. No, I don't know why".

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
Well, one thing that they warned us about was that the software that controls the Fans is still in development. So they told us that IF in the bootup the G5 sounded like a jet plane, it was due to the software. We all waited in quiet... And the G5 didnt make a single jet noise. The fan system is one thing that will surprise you all! Its really amazing.

To the sexy comments: Isnt any encounter with a Mac a sensual and "erotic" experience, where you find yourself touching the Mac with tender, whispering that only you understand its beauty, its power? :D Now Imagine that with such a Hardcore Mac as the G5!!! Its a sexy machine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.