PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking a 1.25Ghz Emac?

RickT67
Jun 28, 2007, 12:57 PM
Hi, I've seen several posts about overclocking the 700Mhz and 800Mhz Emac, but I haven't found anything on the 1.25Ghz. Has anyone done it? If so, what can I expect to gain for speed?
Also, I've read that you can bump the Ram from 1Gb max to 2Gb... has anyone had that work well for them?

Thanks in advance... be gentle, I am a newbie and I appreciate the help.:)

dogbone
Jun 30, 2007, 12:36 PM
Hi, I've seen several posts about overclocking the 700Mhz and 800Mhz Emac, but I haven't found anything on the 1.25Ghz. Has anyone done it? If so, what can I expect to gain for speed?
Also, I've read that you can bump the Ram from 1Gb max to 2Gb... has anyone had that work well for them?

Thanks in advance... be gentle, I am a newbie and I appreciate the help.:)

Yes you can definitely put 2 gig of ram in the 1.25 and 1.42 I'm currently running with 1.5 gig of ram in mine. I had some overclocking info, I'll see if I can dig it out, but I don't think it's really worth attempting it unless you really know what you are doing including disassembling the emac. It's quite tricky.

ob81
Jul 1, 2007, 03:05 AM
Probably better to just drop $900 bucks and get a macbook. Or $500 and get a mac mini

RickT67
Jul 2, 2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the info on the RAM. I will be trying that out.

If you could find that info on overclocking, I would love to see it. From what I've seen online, if it's anything like the older models, it involves the tiny resistors. I have an extremely fine tip soldering iron (low wattage) so I think I'm ok there. I've used the same iron on my iBook when I accidently broke the power switch when I upgraded the hard drive.

I really enjoy my Macs and my goal is to get the $$ together for the 24" iMac. Until then, I am trying to squeeze all the power I can out of what I have. As a "former" pc guy, I can't believe what I really bought into in the windows world... Discovering Macs and what they are all about has been an extreme wake up call for me in regards to actually having fun again with a computer.... Thanks for the help....

dogbone
Jul 2, 2007, 11:02 AM
I couldn't find the site I had. But I found this link to a service manual (http://www.eserviceinfo.com/index.php?is404=true) which still works, and this (http://www.wilko.com/emac/) and a google search for 'overclocking emac' turned up a lot of stuff including an old MR thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=111922) but it's for a 700Mhz model, not sure if it's useful. There's a good chance that one of the google links was the one I can't find.

RickT67
Jul 2, 2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the info :)
I am going to use all the available info that I can get my hands on and take my chances to see if I can make it go faster (no guts, no glory.. right?). If I get it to work, I will surely post my results here. If I turn the Emac into a huge doorstop, I will post it too...along with a proper obituary.
I bought it from my company auction for $100 (sweet) so I won't be too bad off if I make it give up the ghost..
Thanks again for the help!

FF_productions
Jul 2, 2007, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the info :)
I am going to use all the available info that I can get my hands on and take my chances to see if I can make it go faster (no guts, no glory.. right?). If I get it to work, I will surely post my results here. If I turn the Emac into a huge doorstop, I will post it too...along with a proper obituary.
I bought it from my company auction for $100 (sweet) so I won't be too bad off if I make it give up the ghost..
Thanks again for the help!

Why don't you sell the eMac? For paying only 100 dollars for it, you can make profit off of it.

Well, actually sell the eMac when you are ready for the 24 inch iMac, or else you will be without a Mac.

RickT67
Jul 2, 2007, 01:18 PM
I have 2 macs.. the emac and an iBook, so I won't be mac-less.
I am a tinkerer at heart and would love to see what I can do with the emac. I would eventually like to give it an LCD transplant.... that's another topic for another time.:)

FF_productions
Jul 3, 2007, 06:23 PM
I have 2 macs.. the emac and an iBook, so I won't be mac-less.
I am a tinkerer at heart and would love to see what I can do with the emac. I would eventually like to give it an LCD transplant.... that's another topic for another time.:)

LCD transplant? :eek:

Get an iMac G4!

DoFoT9
Jul 3, 2007, 07:56 PM
I would eventually like to give it an LCD transplant.... that's another topic for another time.:)

youre lucky open heart LCD transplants are fairly common and have a high success rate!!! otherwise id highly recommend against it ;) :D

RickT67
Jul 13, 2007, 10:55 AM
Ok... I've still been scouring the internet for any information on overclocking the 1.25Ghz Emac and I haven't found out anything other than how to do it with the 700 or 800mhz models.
So, for kicks and grins I've done a little disassembly on my Emac and removed the DVD drive to expose the tiny little resistors that will supposedly give me the speed boost. I was secretly hoping that the board would look a lot like the 800Mhz model (which it does, but not exactly in the resistor area that would require the surgery).
I am putting it out there once more in hope that someone can point me in the right direction in regards to what resistors to remove, etc..
In looking at the board (with a magnifying glass) I would venture a guess that the overclocking would be with the R260 through R270 resistors.. That looks like the same area that the other Emacs were overclocked. Again, I say that I am guessing. I am not foolish enough to go crazy with the soldering iron (yet).
If I can get this thing overclocked, I plan on upgrading the hard drive from 40GB to 160 GB, the RAM from 1GB to 2 GB, and to see if I can get the screen stretched to an external LCD. Slowing down the fan speed so that I can hear myself think would defintiely be a bonus too. :-)

DoFoT9
Jul 14, 2007, 02:38 AM
wow thats not bad. hope all goes well. try not to go to hard at it!!! *salutes your bravery*