Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Private Sector

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2007
haven't tried, but audio can definitely go out through the headphone jack or through the dock, and i would expect the ipod's video cables to work equally well with the iphone. however, the iphone dock does not offer s-video out like the ipod docks do, so i can't be sure.

why would you want to send the video out when you can watch it on the iphones beautiful display anyways?

usasalazar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2006
haven't tried, but audio can definitely go out through the headphone jack or through the dock, and i would expect the ipod's video cables to work equally well with the iphone. however, the iphone dock does not offer s-video out like the ipod docks do, so i can't be sure.

why would you want to send the video out when you can watch it on the iphones beautiful display anyways?

Would like to put the signal through to an LCD projector so i can share that beautiful image with a crowd!

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
One of the early reviewers, Pogue i think, said the iPhone has no video out... Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that it actually doesn't.

NeilP

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
It's been confirmed many times that the iPhone lacks video output. I don't know why you would ask about the audio though. Obviously, the iPhone has a headphone jack.

I would love video out. I have a headset display from 22moo. It works great with my 5G iPod. It's a lot easier to use a headset display than it is to hold the screen up with my hand. I would even like to use the headset display for functions besides movies, such as reading PDF docs and reading web pages.

fanboy

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2007
There must some type of event out or video out from the iPhone. I imagine that's how they were able to demo the unit in MWSF and WWDC.

woodbutcher

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
I have a video dock for my video ipod, it connects via rca cable, it does not work at all with the iphone, but there has to be a way, the iphone that Jobs used in the keynote was connected and had the video out

jmdor

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
Actually, I think I read that Jobs' presentation was a camera on his iPhone, and then a pre-canned demo that he kept up with, so it might not be video-out at all. You would think that a software update could give us video-out, though.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Actually, I think I read that Jobs' presentation was a camera on his iPhone, and then a pre-canned demo that he kept up with, so it might not be video-out at all. You would think that a software update could give us video-out, though.

Kind of. He said he had a 'special card' attached to allow you to see the demo on the keynote screen.

If you look at the iPhone he is holding it has quite a thick cable that seems attached to the phone on the back via a black card/patch. Obviously its not going to be a commercial product but used to show the keynote and was a one off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.