PDA

View Full Version : ok thats it...I need a folding system...

pfranzen
Jul 14, 2003, 05:31 PM
Do you guys think the G5 will be the one or do I have to build a water cooled AMD/Intel folding animal?

Actually, is the AMD processor better at folding or do you get more performance from a HT intel system?

P

hvfsl
Jul 14, 2003, 06:17 PM
I know that AMD chips are faster at folding than the P4, but I don't know what kind of difference HT makes. So a 3000XP is faster than a 3Ghz P4 at folding (at least in my experience).

Also the G5 is meant to be the fastest out of the Athlon XP or P4 when the folding apps have been optimised for the G5. However the new Athlon 64 may be even faster, it will be launched in Sept

iJon
Jul 14, 2003, 06:42 PM
why the hell would you want a machine just for folding, what a waste of money.

iJon

NNO-Stephen
Jul 14, 2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by iJon
why the hell would you want a machine just for folding, what a waste of money.

iJon

well, some people have that kind of money to waste... guess that's why I won't ever buy a machine just for folding unless I'm making about 2 million a year... (HA!)

pfranzen
Jul 14, 2003, 07:11 PM
there are a few business apps that i have to run painfully slow in VPC6 so if I had to buy a new system then it might as well benefit the team dont ay think?

P

Mr. Anderson
Jul 14, 2003, 08:47 PM
That's an interesting idea - I have a several things that I could use a PC for, but I don't know if I'd ever just get a machine for folding. Especially if I'm getting a new G5 sometime soon.

Good luck,

D

pfranzen
Jul 14, 2003, 09:23 PM
I ordered a dual 2 G5 already...what you guys think it will do for Virtual PC?

p

MrMacMan
Jul 14, 2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by pfranzen
I ordered a dual 2 G5 already...what you guys think it will do for Virtual PC?

p

It might give you a Slow P4.

Seriously VPC sucks currently.

I mean my 800 iMac emulates a PII so... :rolleyes:

And iJon I will not even comment.