PDA

View Full Version : iPhones have Arrived

MacRumors
Jun 29, 2007, 05:36 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Many users have gotten their iPhones. New iPhone owners, please take advantage of these official threads:

iPhone First Impressions / Reviews (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=321623)
iPhone Questions for Early Adopters (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=322010)
iPhone Unbox/Setup Photos (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=321610)

Photos and Video to come...

Sbrocket
Jun 29, 2007, 05:41 PM
Darn east coasters...:p ;)

PumaGuy
looks sweet :) cant wait for them to come to Canada!

ITR 81
Two negatives in less then 2 mins...
Stop hatting.

PumaGuy
Jun 29, 2007, 05:42 PM
Two negatives in less then 2 mins...
Stop hatting.

Some people are just jealous ;)

KD7IWP
Jun 29, 2007, 05:42 PM
Hallelujah! Oh the months of agony.

Some_Big_Spoon
Jun 29, 2007, 05:43 PM
currently waiting in line at the Pacific Place AT&T store in downtown Seattle. The AT&T guy came out and said they only have 66 phones. Not sure if that's accurate, but that's what we were told. We're around 30 something in line.

Dr.Gargoyle
Finally.... Now lets start speculating when the iPhone will go 3G/GPS...
(like a never-ending nightmare :p )

kalisphoenix
Saw some folks out in front of the AT&T store on Market in Fairlawn, OH. Gave you guys a shout-out, but I dunno if you heard. Enjoy your purchases, guys and gals.

ITR 81
Jun 29, 2007, 05:50 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1173/663749439_e76f457938.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1058/663750637_5606f5b61e.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1248/663750011_24e17d038c.jpg

http://flickr.com/photos/miarka/

ITR 81
Jun 29, 2007, 05:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6S3ALgchow

Youtube unboxing

Blue Velvet
Jun 29, 2007, 05:53 PM
Could we please post pics in this thread? Thanks.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=321610

:)

jameskk
Jun 29, 2007, 05:54 PM
trying to activate mine right now.. getting a message that activation is taking additional time to process. I have been waiting over 30 min. now.

iMikeT
Jun 29, 2007, 06:03 PM
Nice. The dock and charger are included, even nicer!

runninmac
Jun 29, 2007, 06:03 PM
trying to activate mine right now.. getting a message that activation is taking additional time to process. I have been waiting over 30 min. now.

SAME HERE!!! So obnoxious! They say you should be able to use iPhones features... but their not showing up! GRR

chubad
Jun 29, 2007, 06:05 PM
Sweet. Now possibly we can get some more iPhone threads on this site! :rolleyes:

mrchainsaw5757
Jun 29, 2007, 06:06 PM
man i hate you guys. i have to wait till august to get mine

Mr Fusion
Jun 29, 2007, 06:08 PM
Sweet. Now possibly we can get some more iPhone threads on this site! :rolleyes:
iGasm!!! :apple:

Will the rapture arrive at 6pm EDT or PDT? :D

geefunk3
Jun 29, 2007, 06:10 PM
I'm still waiting for my iPhone to activate as well....it's been about 15 minutes! I'm dying!!

greenguy4
Jun 29, 2007, 06:10 PM
when will this come to israel?

twoodcc
Jun 29, 2007, 06:12 PM

i'm having the same problem.....i'm not a happy camper right now

FF_productions
Jun 29, 2007, 06:14 PM
Wow there are over 8000 people visiting the forums right now!

This iPhone is something else..

runninmac
Jun 29, 2007, 06:19 PM
People with activation trouble: I just talked to AT&T and they said they are having an outage with their porting service so thats why their taking forever :(

twoodcc
Jun 29, 2007, 06:22 PM
People with activation trouble: I just talked to AT&T and they said they are having an outage with their porting service so thats why their taking forever :(

great. so any idea on how long it will take?

runninmac
Jun 29, 2007, 06:23 PM
great. so any idea on how long it will take?

Im on the phone with them right now... so far i think they don't know :mad:

dontmatter
Jun 29, 2007, 06:24 PM
So does anybody know if stores are running out, having excess, etc.? I'd love to see some footage of huge lines. Even better would be if someone compiled info on lines from all the stores to figure out how many are sold today. Pretty sweet, though. Can't wait to play with one at an apple store when the pandemonium dies.

dontmatter
Jun 29, 2007, 06:24 PM
So does anybody know if stores are running out, having excess, etc.? I'd love to see some footage of huge lines. Even better would be if someone compiled info on lines from all the stores to figure out how many are sold today. Pretty sweet, though. Can't wait to play with one at an apple store when the pandemonium dies.

*Danged macrumors overloading (or rather, iphone having so much draw*

jameskk
Jun 29, 2007, 06:25 PM
I have been waiting for over an hour now and mine still won't activate!! I am on the phone with at&t and they don't have a clue!

DakotaGuy
Jun 29, 2007, 06:26 PM

AT&T is already having problems...imagine that:)

twoodcc
Jun 29, 2007, 06:27 PM
I have been waiting for over an hour now and mine still won't activate!! I am on the phone with at&t and they don't have a clue!

mine hasn't either! i waited in line for 3 hours, paid almost $700, and i want to use it!

dogcowabunga
Jun 29, 2007, 06:35 PM

Shortly after 6PM, I drove past two AT&T stores that had huge lines outside (one at 6:05PM, the other around 6:30PM). So I went to my local Apple Store instead. I got there around 6:40PM, and there was no line outside, just a large crowd inside. There were only two people ahead of me in the checkout line, and I was able to leave the store by 6:50PM with 8GB iPhone in hand (well, in box, I guess).

I was disappointed that they didn't have any of the Apple Bluetooth Headsets; the store staff said they would be arriving next week, but I suppose I'll just order those online.

Anyway, I feel sorry for the chumps who waited for hours, when by waiting until 6:40PM I was able to get in and out in just 10 minutes, and still have my iPhone before 7PM. It was activated about 10 minutes ago, and is syncing even as I write this message; I'm looking forward to browsing it online shortly.

esquared
Jun 29, 2007, 06:37 PM
Just got home, went to an AT&T store for mine. Got there at 5:35pm, about 100 people in front of me. With maybe 15 left in front of me, ran out of 8GB, and I got the last 4GB!! was out of there by 7pm. They then started taking names for future shipments, maybe tomorrow, no guarantees. In Melbourne, FL.

DMann
Jun 29, 2007, 06:47 PM

Activation and phone number transfer took all of 18 minutes to complete.
This little phone is becoming more impressive each minute - ultra responsive,
easier to navigate than imaginable, outstanding resolution, sleek and thin, stunning overall !!

HD303
Jun 29, 2007, 06:51 PM
So who is going to make the first post at macRumors via their iPhone?

artalliance
Jun 29, 2007, 06:54 PM
I know this is easier said then done.
But everyone waiting for activation - get yourself a nice beverage and a good book.

This overload was bound to happen. At least you have one of the first iphones in your hand ;-)

easier to navigate than imaginable, outstanding resolution, sleek and thin, stunning overall !!

Great to hear.
My most important question - how is the actual VOICE quality of the phone?

FF_productions
Jun 29, 2007, 06:56 PM
So who is going to make the first post at macRumors via their iPhone?

I think it already happened.

Romanesq
Jun 29, 2007, 07:05 PM
at&t error

Romanesq
Jun 29, 2007, 07:15 PM

Hey at the AT&T store in Hoboken, NJ (home of Frank Sinatra) another poster said they could handle lines all the way down the block, (trust me it's a long block) and they were out of the 8 GB after less than two dozen people.

And the line was moving very slow. So as I was about no. 25, I watched the line creep along for more than an hour and then hear the big announcement. Only 4 GBs left. I passed.

So can't say how many people choose to pass on the credit check but it was moving slow. There must have been more than 50 people there when I bolted and no way are they getting phones. :eek:

wstohner
Jun 29, 2007, 07:18 PM
AT&T is already having problems...imagine that:)

They're idiots. i waited for over an hour to get an email requesting that i call and give them more information. They claimed that they didn't have my SS, which i did provide on the itunes screens... Then, i am told, by some woman that clearly knows nothing, that my phone *should* activate within 24 hours. i asked her to clarify, specifying that i was under the impression that porting my number could take a while, but that activation would happen relatively quickly. She didn't know anything about this, and had to check. She came back with nothing, other than, you'll just have to wait 24 hours and see. I'm really annoyed right now. Way to go AT&T.

NewMacGirl
Jun 29, 2007, 07:22 PM
Just amazed at peoples reactios to the activation time- Relax. Its an unprecedented demand and in the end its down to people to help you at AT&T-be patient it looks like it will be worth it

Grimace
Jun 29, 2007, 07:36 PM
screw that -- this is ridiculous waiting for so long for AT&T to figure out how to port the numbers. :mad:

twoodcc
Jun 29, 2007, 07:49 PM
screw that -- this is ridiculous waiting for so long for AT&T to figure out how to port the numbers. :mad:

yeah i know, very ridiculous! and now the activation support number is out

jelloshotsrule
Jun 29, 2007, 07:51 PM
just thought i'd mention that i'm another one waiting for activation/porting. at least someone got through though! looking forward to using this puppy

Romanesq
Jun 29, 2007, 07:54 PM
Maybe it was better after all that I declined on a 4GB model when the 8GB ones went bye bye so quick.

I have to move my phone number over and it sounds like it would be no easy task. This is only the beginning as we are on the East Coast. Can't imagine it gets any easier for folks as we move West.

Although Apple should be pleased with the reception, I don't think Steve Jobs will be happy if this rollout stalls all night.

It does sound like a fine product. We just can't get word on any users actually making phone calls and reporting first hand the sound quality, or other aspects.

Oh well, another week to figure it out, buying that is.

floatingspirit
Jun 29, 2007, 08:00 PM
So I'm in line at the local att store waiting, waiting...the guy is counting who wants the 8 gig'er. he counts again. we wait. "Everyone: the 8 Gig is 699. We only have bundled phones (4 gig too) with the bluetooth ear piece"

I left....that was so Big Cell Phone Company-esque. I don't need the dang ear piece...

geefunk3
Jun 29, 2007, 08:02 PM
I was told by an AT&T technician on the phone that:

a.) because I had been with AT&T so long, my account was not transferrable to an iPhone account, and I would have to go BACK to the AT&T store to have my account converted into a NEW AT&T/Cingular account in order for the activation on my iPhone to complete. I guess this is how loyalty is rewarded.

b.) activation via AT&T could take up to 6 hours.

NOT a happy camper considering the 12 hours I waited in line and the 3 since purchasing the phone.

Quicksilver867
Jun 29, 2007, 08:06 PM
Hmm, the iTunes activation could be the Achilles heel of the iPhone, well at least for now when thousands of people are simultaneously attempting it.

oogje
Jun 29, 2007, 08:10 PM

It's been over an hour here. There are many dozens of posts about the activation issue at the Apple Discussion Forums. People have been told it's AT&T's problem and others told it was Apple's systems causing the delay. I was told it will be activated in 1-6 hours by an AT&T rep.

Of note, I upgraded to Mac OS X 10.4.10 and iTunes 7.3 this evening as required. iTunes now gives me "The iTunes Library file cannot be saved. An unknown error occurred (-50)." when I moved through pages in the activation process. I find this particularly amusing in light of Mac guy's claim in the PC/Mac ads that "Macs don't get those cryptic error messages."

California should start activating any moment now - good luck with that.

I hope the activation issue is resolved soon.

jameskk
Jun 29, 2007, 08:17 PM
I am going on 3 hours here!

now when I call at&t customer service a recording comes on saying they are experiencing technical difficulties and to call back later!

I bet Steve Jobs is pissed!

Grimace
Jun 29, 2007, 08:33 PM
has anyone had success in PORTING their number yet?

Digitaljim
Jun 29, 2007, 08:34 PM
Is the rear of the phone as ugly as it looks in these initial pictures?

To my eye, it's got that Compaq Presario circa 1999 look about it :(

jmulder
Jun 29, 2007, 08:39 PM
Well, I gotta say that Apple's not doing too much better than AT&T.

I ordered an 8GB on Apple's online store, but the confirmation timed out. Now I have no idea whether I've ordered or not, whether my card will be charged or not, and I don't want to repeat the order proces in case my card was charged.

Suck.

Tampa Tom
Jun 29, 2007, 09:21 PM
Look...there's STAMPS on his desk! :)

audiophile74
Jun 29, 2007, 09:39 PM
I have an 8 GB and waiting on activation too.. I have a feeling this is going to take a looooong time. I can't wait to use it!

Kingsly
Jun 29, 2007, 09:56 PM
Just got mine. Activating now using Apple's WiFi. :D

DMann
Jun 29, 2007, 09:58 PM

easier to navigate than imaginable, outstanding resolution, sleek and thin, totally stunning overall !!

Kingsly
Jun 29, 2007, 10:07 PM
Activation done. Über easy!

Look at my post times... super fast! :D

jburns
Jun 30, 2007, 10:32 AM
Great to hear.
My most important question - how is the actual VOICE quality of the phone?

You don't really intend to use it as a phone do you? That's so 1990s. :) :rolleyes:

BigTicket285
Jun 30, 2007, 12:12 PM
I am pumped about the new iphone and have made a new blog. Please come and post anything you have on your mind about it, My blog also has many links about anythng you need to know about the iphone. Please help me get the ball rolling.

Thanks, chris