PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Now at Apple Store

MacRumors
Jun 29, 2007, 08:36 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

After being down for nearly 3 hours, Apple's online store (http://store.apple.com/) is back up and features the iPhone for sale.

4GB $499: Shipping in 2-4 weeks
8GB $599: Shipping in 2-4 weeks

Apple also published an official guide (http://www.apple.com/iphone/accessories/) of accessories for the iPhone. The $129 Bluetooth Headset was not yet available at retail locations. The iPhone also went on sale tonight at 6pm at retail stores across the country to (reportedly) sell out crowds at many locations (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104).

Iniitial impressions are being posted to our forum (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=321623), but some users have been having activation issues (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=322126).

SkyBell
Jun 29, 2007, 08:37 PM
Sweet, time to check it out!:)

ventro
Jun 29, 2007, 08:38 PM
And us Canadians got a Saskatchewan recycling program. AWESOME!

aswitcher
Jun 29, 2007, 08:39 PM
2-4 weeks. I can see more ques as stock runs out and then is replaced.

kalisphoenix
Jun 29, 2007, 08:40 PM
A relatively uninteresting store update, after all this mess :D

macjackpro
Jun 29, 2007, 08:41 PM
Finally an answer to my question:

AppleCare Protection Plan
For $69, the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone provides an additional year of hardware repair coverage, including coverage for the iPhone battery.
The AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone will be available in July. Customers can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime during the iPhone one-year limited warranty.

--from apple.com under the warranty tab for iphone

Digitaljim
Jun 29, 2007, 08:45 PM

For $69, the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone provides an additional year of hardware repair coverage, including coverage for the iPhone battery.
The AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhone will be available in July. Customers can purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan anytime during the iPhone one-year limited warranty.

--from apple.com under the warranty tab for iphone

This is reassuring; 1st gen hardware and all.

DakotaGuy
Jun 29, 2007, 08:45 PM

Here is an issue that I don't think many have thought about. If the iPhone doesn't have a user replaceable battery does that mean you have to send the phone back to Apple for a new battery? I guess you will be without a phone for a few days, unless you have a landline. If all you have is a cellphone that would really suck.

bytethese
Jun 29, 2007, 08:48 PM
yeah, it was a scene where I bought mine. I am told NY's SoHo Apple store has plenty however. A little tough to type this on my iphone. :)

rocklobzter31
Jun 29, 2007, 08:48 PM
When was the apple website down for 3 hours??? But, anyways, this is great!! (Exept for all those who bought an iphone and put it right on ebay. That won't be working too well at this point.)

Though I did see some bids on one for $900 on ebay. WHAT ARE PEOPLE THINKING. Did they not know that apple.com would be selling them:confused:

Mykbibby
Jun 29, 2007, 08:49 PM
If this is of any interest, I called Apple to ask for clarification on the 2-4 weeks because it was too bad to be true, and I was told that on July 4th, notifications will be sent out to all online buyers telling them the day they will get their iphone. It could be a few days after the fourth, or a few months, depending on when you ordered.

What's going through my head...

IM PISSED RIGHT NOW!!! 2-4 WEEKS!!! THIS IS RIDICULOUS! HOW CAN APPLE ALLOW THIS! WE'VE OVER HALF A YEAR FOR TODAY, NOW WE HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER MONTH!!! COME ON CUPPERTINO!

deannnnn
Jun 29, 2007, 08:51 PM
Well it's past 9... so isn't apple.com/retail supposed to be updated?
It says that all Apple stores have iPhones in stock... AND it says tomorrow's date of July 30th.
Hmm

Weezy
Jun 29, 2007, 08:54 PM
If this is of any interest, I called Apple to ask for clarification on the 2-4 weeks because it was too bad to be true, and I was told that on July 4th, notifications will be sent out to all online buyers telling them the day they will get their iphone. It could be a few days after the fourth, or a few months, depending on when you ordered.

IM PISSED RIGHT NOW!!! 2-4 WEEKS!!! THIS IS RIDICULOUS! HOW CAN APPLE ALLOW THIS! WE'VE OVER HALF A YEAR FOR TODAY, NOW WE HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER MONTH!!! COME ON CUPPERTINO!

I have the same feeling as well!!
2-4 WEEKS!!!!
but after hearing what you said about the notification thing now im even more pissed!!:mad:

Frisco
Jun 29, 2007, 08:58 PM
I have the same feeling as well!!
2-4 WEEKS!!!!
but after hearing what you said about the notification thing now im even more pissed!!:mad:

Now you know why people were waiting in line 24hrs plus. And so many people were critizing them earlier today :confused:

slackpacker
Hi all I'm sending this from my iPhone

The keyboard rocks no issues at all

Regards
SP

joeconvert
Here is an issue that I don't think many have thought about. If the iPhone doesn't have a user replaceable battery does that mean you have to send the phone back to Apple for a new battery? I guess you will be without a phone for a few days, unless you have a landline. If all you have is a cellphone that would really suck.

It has been discussed extensively.

Even discussed the cost of loaner service phones.

overcast
Jun 29, 2007, 09:00 PM
The keyboard rocks issues at all

Clearly ;)

Frisco
Jun 29, 2007, 09:01 PM
It has been discussed extensively.

Even discussed the cost of loaner service phones.

It's a non-issue! The battery will last for a few years. By that time you will be using iPhone G2 or G3. Get over it. Realistically how long does one use the same phone?

Frisco
Jun 29, 2007, 09:04 PM
Hi all I'm sending this from my iPhone

The keyboard rocks no issues at all

Regards
SP

Thanks! I am picking up one tomorrow. Well I hope so. I hear their aren't many left. Go :apple:

zapp
Jun 29, 2007, 09:07 PM
Thanks! I am picking up one tomorrow. Well I hope so. I hear their aren't many left. Go :apple:

bluetooth headset ship from my online order on jul 30

iphone still says 2-4 weeks

bluefire75
Jun 29, 2007, 09:13 PM
2 - 4 weeks. I honestly don't mind the wait. Kudos to those who got there's today!!!

bluefire75
Jun 29, 2007, 09:13 PM
2 - 4 weeks. I honestly don't mind the wait. Kudos to those who got there's today!!!

Konradx
Jun 29, 2007, 09:16 PM
I think people should stop whining. Try getting a Wii..the iPhone would probably be easier.

bigdog
Jun 29, 2007, 09:17 PM
I am writing from an iPhone, as well. Not sure how many they ended up selling at the AT&T store I went to (Brunswick, ME), but the demand was impressive. All told, I think about thirty to fourty people showed up by 6pm. The crowd was told there wouldn't be enough to go around, but no specifics. Most people - myself included - picked up the 8GB model, but I did see a 4GB model sell as I was leaving.

It took me longer to get 10.4.10 installed than to get the phone activated. Though activation timed out my first time through, I got an email with a link to finish the process. It may have been a bit easier for me since I'm an existing AT&T customer, but hey, so it goes.

rocklobzter31
Jun 29, 2007, 09:17 PM
an iphone is currently selling for over $62,322! 1 (one) IPHONE! :eek: I guess 2-4 weeks is really THAT long for some people.

Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iphone-8GB-8-GB-i-phone-Mac-cell-phone-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ290134220620QQihZ019QQcategoryZ64355QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Honestly, I don't blame them. :D

HyperZboy
Jun 29, 2007, 09:19 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

After being down for nearly 3 hours, Apple's online store (http://store.apple.com/) is back up and features the iPhone for sale.

4GB $499: Shipping in 2-4 weeks
8GB $599: Shipping in 2-4 weeks

Apple also published an official guide (http://www.apple.com/iphone/accessories/) of accessories for the iPhone. The $129 Bluetooth Headset was not yet available at retail locations. The iPhone also went on sale tonight at 6pm at retail stores across the country to (reportedly) sell out crowds at many locations (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104).

Iniitial impressions are being posted to our forum (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=321623), but some users have been having activation issues (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=322126).

Here's my iPhone Purchase Horror Story...

The AT&T store I went to is telling people the AT&T warehouse it OUT!

But, I was in line at this AT&T store that had them and I would have gotten one, but the AT&T Store manager gave the last one to his buddy at THE BACK OF THE LINE!
NO LIE! I could NOT BELIEVE IT!
And to add insult to injury, when I complained, they called the security guard (who was asleep at the time)!
Obviously I left quietly after that and ordered one through the Apple store, but I have no idea when I'll receive it since they stated 2-4 weeks (which I assume means back-ordered as well?).

So now even if I get it soon, I'll have multiple credit checks on my Soc# which will look quite ugly.
I was previously optimistic about AT&T. Now that's shot to hell. Thanks AT&T. You suck!

PS: AT&T Store North Salisbury, Maryland

NevadaJack
Jun 29, 2007, 09:24 PM

I ordered online and completed the order at 6:18PM...very slow and the server kicked the order once or twice as busy. I just received a confirmation email that indicates "more precise shipping and delivery dates" by July 4th. So the 2-4 weeks was just an estimate based on demand and number of phones and once they have the orders they can match orders and phones and be specific.

EagerDragon
Jun 29, 2007, 09:26 PM
yeah, it was a scene where I bought mine. I am told NY's SoHo Apple store has plenty however. A little tough to type this on my iphone. :)

I was at the NH store and there were like 150 people in line. Most left with 1 to 2 phones, few left without buying. Plenty of phones at the store it seems.

However at the AT$T store in the same mall as the Apple store, they had but a few phones and sold out in 15 minutes. They had like 10 iPhones.

siurpeeman
Jun 29, 2007, 09:26 PM
i'm glad i went to my local apple store this afternoon. i was around 100th in line and got one fairly quickly. i don't know how i could have waited 2-4 weeks.

DakotaGuy
Jun 29, 2007, 09:29 PM
It's a non-issue! The battery will last for a few years. By that time you will be using iPhone G2 or G3. Get over it. Realistically how long does one use the same phone?

I hope your right and it will be perfect, however I usually go through a cell phone battery in a year or so. It still works, but it is getting weaker. Also, I did own a 3G iPod and we all know about how great those batteries were.

pale9
Jun 29, 2007, 09:35 PM
just a few hours after the phone goes on sale there is a several week wait for apple store sales?

makes no sense to me. maybe just a ploy to make the phone seem sooooooo in demand....

1QukMINI
Are you serious?? Have you guys seen this on eBay? This is ridiculous!
jason
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iphone-8GB-8-GB-i-phone-Mac-cell-phone-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ290134220620QQihZ019QQcategoryZ64355QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

adroit
Here's my iPhone Purchase Horror Story...

The AT&T store I went to is telling people the AT&T warehouse it OUT!

But, I was in line at an AT&T store that had them and I would have gotten one, but the AT&T Store manager gave the last one to his buddy at THE BACK OF THE LINE!
NO LIE! I could NOT BELIEVE IT!
And to add insult to injury, when I complained, they called the security guard (who was asleep at the time)!
Obviously I left quietly after that and ordered one through the Apple store, but I have no idea when I'll receive it since they stated 2-4 weeks (which I assume means back-ordered as well?).

So now even if I get it soon, I'll have multiple credit checks on my Soc# which will look quite ugly.
I was previously optimistic about AT&T. Now that's shot to hell. Thanks AT&T. You suck!

PS: AT&T Store North Salisbury, Maryland

I'm sorry to hear about that. :(

I think you should call either Apple or the main AT&T (or both) and file a complaint about it. I'm pretty sure you can get the manager in trouble for that.

I hope you will get your iPhone soon.

zombitronic
Jun 29, 2007, 09:37 PM
I'm posting this with my iPhone! Really easy to type in landscape. Met some really cool people in line. I got to go to a grand opening store. Free shirts! Go, Apple!!!

chubad
Jun 29, 2007, 09:37 PM
I cruised by our local ATT Store at 8pm. They had balloons out and a few people in the store but it looked like a normal Friday night. I wonder if they even had the iPhone.

Consultant
Jun 29, 2007, 09:43 PM
If you are in the Washington DC, Virginia area, the Tyson's Corner Apple store still have iPhone in stock as of 10:30 pm EST tonight.

geoffy
Jun 29, 2007, 09:45 PM
jason
http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iphone-8GB-8-GB-i-phone-Mac-cell-phone-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ290134220620QQihZ019QQcategoryZ64355QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It obviously isn't a real bid. I was thinking about bidding it up.

HyperZboy
Jun 29, 2007, 09:47 PM
I'm sorry to hear about that. :(

I think you should call either Apple or the main AT&T (or both) and file a complaint about it. I'm pretty sure you can get the manager in trouble for that.

I hope you will get your iPhone soon.

Honestly, I had no intentions of doing anything or making trouble. In fact, I expected that they would be out of them since I'm in somewhat of a remote place with no big cities nearby and no Apple store. I'm only mad because they knew what they did and it was obvious and that's why they called the security guard over before I even got mad (actually they woke him up!). Well, then, you BET I was mad! Probably the worst treatment I've had at any retail store that I can remember ever.

I still want the iPhone though (I'll have to wait like others which is fine), but boy the AT&T people sure know how to take the fun out of it. :-(

1QukMINI
It obviously isn't a real bid. I was thinking about bidding it up.
Certainly someone is going to get screwed. You can buy them Buy It Now for around $900 for the 8gb, or just cruise to the store now and pick one up for normal price...
jason

brandon6684

I've had my phone for three years. I would probably still have my old phone if I didn't switch carriers.

deral
Jun 29, 2007, 09:48 PM
The only thing I want is an option to laser engrave like an iPod

Royale w/cheese
Jun 29, 2007, 09:50 PM
Ha! Looks like people are just messing with the seller. The bids are at over 52 million now. That is a hell of a eBay seller fee. :D

1QukMINI
Jun 29, 2007, 09:53 PM
Current bid is $86,298,667.11!!! Man, someone's getting screwed...

1QukMINI
Jun 29, 2007, 09:54 PM
It just went to $99,000!!!

Multimedia
Jun 29, 2007, 09:58 PM
Queue of maybe 200-250 was flushed through in little more than one hour. Steve Jobs and his stunning blonde wife arrived about 6:10 and hung out for about 45 minutes. While the store has all iPhone posters, Macs & iPods are still out as well. Using the Safari browser in landscape mode makes the virtual keyboard pretty easy to use. But it sure ain't anything like typing. Still, it looks like a hit from Steve's home store. Pics to follow. :)

Press was a mob scene. Satellite uplink to ABC in New Jersey and then out to the world. All the Bay Area network affiliates were on hand as well. When the doors opened there was like a giant crowd out front. Now all is calm, all is bright and this store alone probably grossed $1 Million in that first hour.

1QukMINI
Jun 29, 2007, 10:07 PM
This stupid listing is up to $99,999,999.00. What does that mean, and who takes the crapper on it?
jasn

acrafton
Jun 29, 2007, 10:10 PM
Wow - went into the Apple store in Southlake at 7:30-8 expecting craziness and. . .nothing. Not any more busy than any other Friday night. Two cops standing around wondering what they were doing. I chatted with several employees I know and they said after the folks that were lined up bought they haven't sold that many and haven't had many lookers. I had no wait to play with one nor did my wife. Maybe 30 people in the store TOTAL (and it is a big store with creative bar. . .).

I asked if they were staying open late and he said that were not sure because they certainly didn't need too . .

Plenty of phones here. . .

Royale w/cheese
Jun 29, 2007, 10:13 PM
This stupid listing is up to $99,999,999.00. What does that mean, and who takes the crapper on it?
jasn

Well now it is an invalid item number so eBay took the item off. Nobody takes the crapper on it, seller just has to relist if he wants. He will probably be trying to return them to the store. I hope he opened them first. :D

rocklobzter31
Jun 29, 2007, 10:14 PM
Looks like the link I provided for ebay was "invalid". This just happened to me when I clicked on it to check up on it. So, either it was all fake and the ebay staff people took it down, or someone got seriously screwed. :eek:

I guess having a $1,000,000 iPhone is better than not having one though.

(tear forms in my eye) :apple:

shawnce
Jun 29, 2007, 10:14 PM
I should have driven to an Apple store one hour south of me but instead I decided to wait in line at a local AT&T store about 3 hours before the iPhone went on sale. I was about #40 in line and by the time 6 PM came around the line was up to just over 90 folks.

By about 7:30 PM they had only processed about 12 folks... 12 folks in 1.5 hours... they even had 5 folks working the registers... amazing example of efficiency.

Around that same time the manager came out of the store and told folks that they have less then 30 phones total... to bad they didn't inform folks 2 hours earlier about what to expect.

So I guess I wont have one to play with on my vacation next week.

:(

(have always hated cellular stores...)

Apple!Fre@k
Jun 29, 2007, 10:16 PM
Uh, oh! I just called the Tampa International Apple Store and asked if they had any iPhones left. Current time is 11:15PM and they said they have "PLENTY!" Looks like Apple might have flooded the market and theren't aren't as many people interested in them as they may have thought. This means the stock could be due for a mighty big drop on Monday or soon after. :eek:

mrbrown
Jun 29, 2007, 10:18 PM
SO can we really expect 2-4 weeks out of Apple?

I actually had to call the credit card company tonight because they froze my account when a charge from Apple for $652 appeared. I didn't think they charged until they shipped?

DaBrain
Jun 29, 2007, 10:19 PM
jason

This Listing Is Unavailable

This listing (290134220620) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.
If the listing was removed by eBay, consider it canceled. Note: Listings that have ended more than 90 days ago will no longer appear on eBay. :eek:

shawnce
Jun 29, 2007, 10:21 PM

I actually had to call the credit card company tonight because they froze my account when a charge from Apple for $652 appeared. I didn't think they charged until they shipped?

I am fairly sure they are giving themselves a some wiggle room with current shipping estimates... I bet on average they will arrive sooner then estimated (if you ordered today).

chubad
Jun 29, 2007, 10:24 PM

They don't charge your account until it ships but they do "ping" your account to see if you have enough credit. It will disappear after a day or two then get charged for real when it ships.

johnbro23
Jun 29, 2007, 10:25 PM
I'm just starting to familiarize myself with the keyboard. This thing is absolutely incredible! Its really smart...the online videos don't do it justice. I'm already typing probably twice as fast on this than I do with t9 and obviosly a lot slower than a normal keyboard.

michelle21
Jun 29, 2007, 10:27 PM
I tend to agree, the 2-4 weeks is a rough estimate, I think thats pretty well implied by the first of the two emails they sent, I completed my online order at 6:05, and received the first email at 6:26, than about an hour later the get ready email.

I don't recall but I think they did the same thing when final cut studio first hit the site, than a few days later the 2 - 4 weeks changed to days. I think apple online just wants to give themself some wiggle room. and not have to keep moving the date out, or state that the product is out of stock.

Nice site, I just joined this forum to discuss the iphone, but will probably stick around a bit.:)

mrbrown
Jun 29, 2007, 10:28 PM
They don't charge your account until it ships but they do "ping" your account to see if you have enough credit. It will disappear after a day or two then get charged for real when it ships.

Well I knew they did an authorization charge - but I usually just thought it was for a nominal amount (like $1 charges at the gas station, etc.). Suppose I thought wrong. :-P

inkswamp
Jun 29, 2007, 10:29 PM
I sure hope there are some serious Mac updates in the pipeline because with the iPhone on the Apple store, it just makes the Macs look all that more neglected, especially the iMac.

JShock
Jun 29, 2007, 10:30 PM
At 11:00am central time I ordered the IPhone from AT&T 800 business service line and they stated delivery by Thursday ! So why not just go thought the instead of Apple. Saves 2-4 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!! I do spend $2 grand a month with them though.

inkswamp
Jun 29, 2007, 10:31 PM
Uh, oh! I just called the Tampa International Apple Store and asked if they had any iPhones left. Current time is 11:15PM and they said they have "PLENTY!" Looks like Apple might have flooded the market and theren't aren't as many people interested in them as they may have thought. This means the stock could be due for a mighty big drop on Monday or soon after. :eek:

Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. I know people who are interested but didn't want anything to do with the early rush or wanted to wait to see what the general feeling was. Not everyone is caught up in the hysteria.

michelle21
Jun 29, 2007, 10:31 PM
standard practice is to post a dollar authorization to the account, I actually have 3 seperate transactions for a dollar, I think it had something to do with the server issues they had. No big deal they disappear after 3 days with most banks.

Also if you used a credit card like me it will not post until shipped if it was a debit card the amount is debited immeadiately.

Multimedia
Jun 29, 2007, 10:42 PM
Uh, oh! I just called the Tampa International Apple Store and asked if they had any iPhones left. Current time is 11:15PM and they said they have "PLENTY!" Looks like Apple might have flooded the market and theren't aren't as many people interested in them as they may have thought. This means the stock could be due for a mighty big drop on Monday or soon after. :eek:I agree the hype may have overreached reality. While it's a cute conversation piece, I can't see getting one for now at all. Palo Alto University AV store has a ton in stock. I doubt they will ever run out.

Customer here told me that AT&T stores are letting people stand in line for hours knowing they don't have enough to sell and are making them wait all that time to ask the customer how they would like their iPhone shipped to them. Can you believe it?!?!

AT&T really blows and couldn't be a WORSE partner for Apple to team up with. :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

Posting this from the Mac Pro in the corner. Typing on the iPhone is PAINFUL. :eek: It was fun to see the Steve Man Up Close for a change. His wife is unbelieveably beautiful.

I'm outa here. Bye 4 now. :)

NewSc2
Jun 29, 2007, 10:45 PM
holy ****, a $129 bluetooth headset? does it come with an iPod shuffle?

JShock
Jun 29, 2007, 10:48 PM
holy ****, a $129 bluetooth headset? does it come with an iPod shuffle?

Have you purchased a good head set lately. My Motorola cost me that!

michelle21
Jun 29, 2007, 10:54 PM
The sad truth is that the least appealing aspect of the iphone is the phone feature and web browsing over edge is going to be slow. however I still ordered one. What got my attention is wifi and embedded mac osx. Apple only occassionally screws up and I don't think the iphone is one of those instances.

Wifi, push email , and vpn support makes the iphone a tablet computer that also acts as a phone. And as a tablet computer it is quite capable.

Also I think the iphone and appletv are going to become more integrated, I would not be surprised if you see either a streaming video app ala slingmedia or somekinds of itunes client.

If you can stream utube content you can stream other content, and it might even be possible to do some kind of homebrew streaming , look at how quickly the appletv was hacked.

Multimedia
Jun 29, 2007, 10:58 PM
Have you purchased a good head set lately. My Motorola cost me that!Only $80 at Fry's last weekend it hangs on a lanyard or clips to your shirt pocket. Has a 3.5 mm headset jack and a mic in it. You can listen to Bluetooth stereo with your own headphones and still take calls from everyone. Bargain priced. Way better solution than what Apple is trying to sell for way lower price.

NewSc2
Jun 29, 2007, 10:59 PM
Have you purchased a good head set lately. My Motorola cost me that!

yeah, i bought my motorola for $29. works like a charm~

JShock
Jun 29, 2007, 11:00 PM
Only $80 at Fry's last weekend it hangs on a lanyard or clips to your shirt pocket. Has a 3.5 mm headset jack and a mic in it. You can listen to Bluetooth stereo with your own headphones and still take calls from everyone. Bargain priced. Way better solution than what Apple is trying to sell for way lower price.

But do you have have Apple style,fit and envy?

Sideonecincy
Jun 29, 2007, 11:06 PM
This morning, there were about 32 postings on ebay for the iphone...there are now almost 2000

michelle21
Jun 29, 2007, 11:08 PM
I was hoping they would come out with at BT gps for it , because thats something that is sorely lacking. You have those big beautiful google maps and no internal gps , or locator service. (well they could use IP but a gps radio would be better).

JShock
Jun 29, 2007, 11:11 PM
I was hoping they would come out with at BT gps for it , because thats something that is sorely lacking. You have those big beautiful google maps and no internal gps , or locator service. (well they could use IP but a gps radio would be better).

I would not be surprised to see it in about 6 weeks with a firmware upgrade.
but at a cost$.

michelle21
Jun 29, 2007, 11:11 PM
This morning, there were about 32 postings on ebay for the iphone...there are now almost 2000

That is just plain stupid , same thing happened with the ps3 and the psp, even though you could find those days after the launch.

I believe apple will reach its goal , but it seems like they were prepared with inventory (try and find a wii for instance). So shortages will be more gradual.

And I suspect that 2-4 week online estimate is a very rough estimate.

ksg089
Jun 29, 2007, 11:12 PM

michelle21
Jun 29, 2007, 11:16 PM
I would not be surprised to see it in about 6 weeks with a firmware upgrade.
but at a cost$.

I don't think you could do that, unless someone who's taken it apart spotted a gps antenna, no antenna no gps. Just like the htc's, nice phones but no gps antenna.

Sorry, externals the only way. I suspect you will see a firmware update, I would be really surprised if somekind of streaming client is released. This thing is so similar in concept to appletv. I think the following unrelated launches have a lot to do with the iphone. (or maybe I'm overreaching)

1) appletv
2) safari for windows

Draelius
Jun 29, 2007, 11:16 PM
...and had sold "about 50" as it was put to me at 10 pm.

No wait, but granted, we are just a medium sized market.

michelle21
Jun 29, 2007, 11:20 PM
It's about 12AM EST and apparently, according to the iPhone availability checker online [http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/], there seems to be not a single Apple Store in the nation that's sold out of iPhones.
?

Were was it ever stated that apple expected to sell out the first day. If there's any rumor to the inventory that was quoted then I don't see how that would be possible.

Apple uses a completely different strategy than Sony and Microsoft which maybe purposely don't put out enough inventory launch day.

JShock
Jun 29, 2007, 11:21 PM
I don't think you could do that, unless someone who's taken it apart spotted a gps antenna, no antenna no gps. Just like the htc's, nice phones but no gps antenna.

Sorry, externals the only way. I suspect you will see a firmware update, I would be really surprised if somekind of streaming client is released. This thing is so similar in concept to appletv. I think the following unrelated launches have a lot to do with the iphone. (or maybe I'm overreaching)

1) appletv
2) safari for windows

most phones today have built in gps which is starting to be required by most major cities for 911 purposes why not just activate it for the consumer's!
CELL TOWERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

BKKbill
Jun 29, 2007, 11:24 PM
This all sounds great it really is to bad we are just to foreign over here. Have to go now to take my daughters macbook in for repairs.:(

michelle21
Jun 29, 2007, 11:27 PM
most phones today have built in gps which is starting to be required by most major cities for 911 purposes why not just activate it for the consumer's!

agps (I think the acronoym stands for assisted gps, not sure) is what a lot of phones have, not full gps systems which require actual antennas. All these are are simple locator services that allows 911 to locate the phone.

I'm sure there are people in this forum that know more about that then me and can offer a better explanation, but bottom line, no gps.

This whole campaign is going to be studied by marketing and psychology students for some time, it has all the earmarks of a political campaingn. I can't ever remember a product launch like this.

Raidersmojo
Jun 29, 2007, 11:29 PM
bought mine today stood in line at the novi mall for 6 hours was 36th then about 150 people behind me. not bad waiting around had a blast with some really funny people. the apple reps greeted people at the door for cheers and people gathered outside the store to watch people come out with iphones just people walking around were all looking.

good job steve jobs PR at its finest

oh then you touch the thing and you see what they are talking about. the apple reps came out with a half an hour left and said "just wait till you get your hands on this" he was right this is the most amazing device I've ever touched (keyboard is hard to get used to then when you think you got it down...you don't) edge is slow (of course but being a college kid wifi all over campus score!)

had my friends girlfriend when I got home just drool all over the device saying "oh my god this is so cool" "I want one of these so bad"

you need to just play with one my roommate who loves his black berry said "expletive my blackberry I'm taking that piece of expletive back to the store and getting a iphone"

also when passing by the sprint store with my 8gig iPhone I held it up (I had nextel "sprint") and said "sprint sucks sprint sucks!" crowd of people weren't to pleased but my god do I hate nextel...also beat mine tonight with a baseball bat and my other one is to follow tomorrow)

anyhoo long post sorry but really excited

michelle21
Jun 29, 2007, 11:33 PM
In the end I decided to keep our sprint service, but got the iphone as a second phone rather than adding a phone to our sprint contract.

If the iphone was 3g it would be a different story, but edge in no ways competes with evdo, and my other phone is a ppc-6800 which is really sweet , and I have slingplayer running on it.

another reason of course is I would of had to pay an early termination fee anyway.

jat543
Jun 29, 2007, 11:34 PM
i think there was a slight misallocation of iphones. ATT stores around where i live (and i dont live in some small backwater place) were given around 30 phones, 20 8gb and 10 4gb. These places had lines with over 100 people in them, and they were running out way too fast. I was 22 in line at a place in a mall and they ran out of 8gb phones ON ME, the people in front of be bought 2 and i was left with none, so i ordered from the store to ship to my house (hopefully comes faster than 2-4 weeks). Apple stores were overstocked and ATT stores were understocked, and there are way more ATT stores, so i think some of the phones should have gone to those stores instead of being overstocked at the apple stores.

michelle21
Jun 29, 2007, 11:37 PM
i think there was a slight misallocation of iphones. ATT stores around where i live (and i dont live in some small backwater place) were given around 30 phones, 20 8gb and 10 4gb. These places had lines with over 100 people in them, and they were running out way too fast. I was 22 in line at a place in a mall and they ran out of 8gb phones ON ME, the people in front of be bought 2 and i was left with none, so i ordered from the store to ship to my house (hopefully comes faster than 2-4 weeks). Apple stores were overstocked and ATT stores were understocked, and there are way more ATT stores, so i think some of the phones should have gone to those stores instead of being overstocked at the apple stores.

And no one knows how may Iphones were sold thru the apple online store, maybe a lot of slackers like me who haven't waited in all day lines since star wars just ordered it through the web.

We won't know for several weeks if this was sucessfull or not on apple's part, to use my earlier analogy , whats going on with this thread is similar to exit polling. And thats usually way off.

ajhill
Jun 29, 2007, 11:50 PM
Got to the Manhattan Beach, CA Apple store at 5:30pm and the line was HUGE (About 350-400 people), so I decide to go see a movie to kill some time, "Live free or Die Hard" was playing. When the movie started, there he was, co starring with Bruce Willis was "Mac" (Justin Long). This had to be a sign. After the movie I headed to the Apple store at about 7:30pm and the line was down to about 150. 1 hour 15 minutes later I was an iPhone owner.:)

When I left arround 9:20pm they still had about 75 people in line. They kept coming out and counting people to see when they would run out.

One guy drove by in an Escalade and offered to sell his for $1200, to which we all told him what he could do with his iPhone.

There were a lot of people in the line who had come over from an ATT store. Apparently things got ugly there. Very low stock and they were only swiping CCs for units to be shipped out for fulfillment.

Glad I got mine.

p0intblank
Jun 29, 2007, 11:59 PM
2-4 weeks?! Wow! It makes me even more glad we got two iPhones today. :D

(Sorry, I just had to do it)

michelle21
Jun 30, 2007, 12:06 AM
2-4 weeks?! Wow! It makes me even more glad we got two iPhones today. :D

(Sorry, I just had to do it)

can't find it , and I'm tired but wasn't there a similar thread on final cut studio 2, people were griping here that the product was delayed once already and when it was finally released it had a ship of several weeks.

than I few days later people starting seeing there credit cards debited, seems like these online sales follow a trend.

michelle21
Jun 30, 2007, 12:13 AM
Sorry, I just had to do it)

Thats ok, its always the first batch of any product that has the most issues.
(. just kidding maybe?)

ps Sorry, I just had to say that.:)

oh.. just one more thing...

I've ordered a lot from apple and never go an email with this particular phrase, these will probably ship sooner anyway.

You will also be receiving an email with more precise shipping and delivery dates for your iPhone order by July 4th.

TuffLuffJimmy
Jun 30, 2007, 12:21 AM
The most amazing device ever created! And I never even got to see one that was activated. I just played with unlocking and locking it.

macEfan
Jun 30, 2007, 12:23 AM
watched the news... steve jobs was at the palo alto apple store.... woz was there too I think... wish I was there to take some pictures!

Billy Boo Bob
Jun 30, 2007, 12:24 AM
I think the following unrelated launches have a lot to do with the iphone. (or maybe I'm overreaching)

1) appletv
2) safari for windows

Well, one reason for Safari on Windows is for Windows developers to have a test bed for AJAX apps... In theory, if it works on Safari for Windows it will work for Safari on iPhone.

bretm
Jun 30, 2007, 12:53 AM
I think people should stop whining. Try getting a Wii..the iPhone would probably be easier.

Errr, I walked into my Apple store at Perimeter Mall in Atl GA at 10:30pm. They said they have tons left. Hundreds probably. Not a problem. I bought an 8gig.

neutrino23
Jun 30, 2007, 12:55 AM
The Burlingame, CA store sold out around 10:00PM. An employee said that they expected another shipment in the morning.

gschumsky
Jun 30, 2007, 12:55 AM
Now you know why people were waiting in line 24hrs plus. And so many people were critizing them earlier today :confused:
Huh, I went to a mall, had a nice dinner, went over to the Apple store and parked right in front of it (7:30). Walked in, checked out the phones. About 3 people in line (after a hundred or more just before). Plenty still in stock. Why do it on Apple.com?

miketcool
Jun 30, 2007, 01:39 AM
Huh, I went to a mall, had a nice dinner, went over to the Apple store and parked right in front of it (7:30). Walked in, checked out the phones. About 3 people in line (after a hundred or more just before). Plenty still in stock. Why do it on Apple.com?

This isnt aimed at you, i just need to further your last point. Apple is brilliant! This product was so overhyped because of the culture that follows Apple. Of course they could give you a phone in 1 day shipping if they wanted too, but why? Tell them it takes 2-4 weeks, a nice vague period of time far outside of NOW and force people to go to the store. Go to the Apple store. Its brilliant, all around brilliant! What other company can say the same? You have to go to the center of all things Apple and see and touch what else there is to offer.

Holy cow, the millions of people being switched is enormous. The next thing they release will have a bigger following. It is all gaining momentum and it will all fuel Mac into the years ahead. "2-4 weeks shipping" is the greatest switch add ever!

macenforcer
Jun 30, 2007, 01:45 AM
Went to the mall to check out the iphone. Walked right in at about 7pm. No line. They had tons of them. I got 2. One for my wife and one for me. Got the 8gb model. When we left the line turned into like 20 people. I said "WOW we got the last 2". LOL. I know, not nice but funny.

Got it home to activate which went smoothly. Found out one of them had a bad pixel. Went back to the apple store at 11:30pm and swapped it for another new one no problem, they had hundreds in stock.

Feel bad for the people in line for days. Really bad. :eek:

Phone is just unbelievable. I wan't going to get one but then I found out that there is no 3G service in Colorado and then figured what the hell.

WildPalms
Jun 30, 2007, 02:02 AM
Claerly ;)

hehe, might do better with an iPhone keyboard :p ;)

geoffy
Jun 30, 2007, 02:23 AM
This is Conan's parody of the iphone. Look how versatile it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLo1USJIkgY

SPG
Jun 30, 2007, 02:24 AM
Since I had better things to do for most of the day, I cruised over to the Apple store at 5:30 to see what the scene was like. If it was crazy, I'd wait a couple weeks. The line was kind of long, 300?, 500?, two news satelite trucks, and even funnier a Verizon billboard truck circling the parking lot. One of the guys in line said "he's looking for parking so he can buy an iphone" which got a few laughs.
Anyway, one hour later out the door with an iphone. Impressed. The hype was right on the money this time.

rob@robburns.co
Jun 30, 2007, 02:51 AM
agps (I think the acronoym stands for assisted gps, not sure) is what a lot of phones have, not full gps systems which require actual antennas. All these are are simple locator services that allows 911 to locate the phone.

I'm sure there are people in this forum that know more about that then me and can offer a better explanation, but bottom line, no gps.

This whole campaign is going to be studied by marketing and psychology students for some time, it has all the earmarks of a political campaingn. I can't ever remember a product launch like this.

My understanding is quite the opposite. Assisted GPS is already in the phone. It's required in the United States by the FCC. So I don't think the phone would have gotten FCC approval without it. AGPS also works more reliabily without line-of-sight to the GPS satellites because it also uses triangulation with the cell phone towers. My understanding is that the service providers have resisted making this information available to customers because it might creep them out to know this information is available to the service provider.

ajhill
Jun 30, 2007, 02:52 AM
Now I know why all the reviews seemed so negative. Because the first reaction to this amazing phone is wooooooooow, cooooooool, oh, my god, that was cool...

In a word this phone floored me. I mean I expected it to be good, but the interface is so polished it's amazing. Read the manual? Why? Just pick it up and start using it.

I had spent time transfering video and music for my iPhone, now I have to work on the contacts and find some photos to put into it.

Just amazing. It does everything you'd want, effortlessly. Yes, edge is a little slow, but I'll wait and save the $40 per month that 3g would cost. It's not that much faster and EDGE is workable. Most webpages load in 30-40 seconds, not the 1-2 minutes as previously reported.

Just stunning. I'm looking forward to fine tuning the setup and filling up my contact and calendar. Finally a device that does Everything I want/need it to do. What took so long?

I'll wait for the Edge network and save the money for something else. Did someone say new MacBook Pro???

Cloudsurfer
Jun 30, 2007, 03:05 AM
Great. Now we can finally put all this iPhone crap to rest and focus back on Mac.

swdesignr
Jun 30, 2007, 03:31 AM
Whatever "strategy" might be behind the 2-3 weeks ship time, it totally pissed me off. I got on apple.com at 6:01, put an 8GB iPhone in the cart, went to check out, chose the 2-3 day delivery and then saw the shipping time and said "screw you Apple!" After waiting all these months, the Apple website can't even ship out the product they've been hyping non-stop for maybe 2-3 weeks?! To me, that's ridiculous. Why didn't they allow pre-orders online so that they could gauge their inventory better? Or why not have several thousand available for shipping right away and then go to 2-3 weeks for later orders? As someone who's purchased a MacBookPro, G5, G4, iMac, 80GB iPod, iPod Shuffle, etc., etc. I was really excited about getting an iPhone. But now that I see how difficult Apple is making it to actually GET the product they've been dangling in front of people for months, I'm not so excited. It's like over-hyping a movie and then when you get to the theatre premiere they tell you can buy the ticket -- but you have to wait a few weeks before you can go in and see the movie. The Apple Online Store with no immediate delivery for their latest product? To me that's just not good customer service! For someone who's been a loyal customer and has spent thousands with Apple, I would have thought they'd have made it easier to actually buy and RECEIVE what they sell. I'm sure I'm not the only one who went online eager to spend $600 and then had second thoughts when the delay became apparent. I guess 'instant gratification' isn't part of their sales strategy...

toxer
Jun 30, 2007, 03:36 AM
Am I the only one who does not give a damn about iPhone? Bring on Leopard, iLife an Mac updates!!!

A Pittarelli
Jun 30, 2007, 03:43 AM
ha, ill second that!

MacSA
Jun 30, 2007, 03:54 AM
ha, ill second that!

Third..... lol

AppleMan101
Jun 30, 2007, 04:18 AM
...fourth...

deadkenny
Jun 30, 2007, 04:33 AM
Is it possible to connect to the iTunes Store with an iPhone?
I wish Apple would offer something like an "online-library" or maybe this "at home feature" that Leopard will have for the iPhone :)

twoodcc
Jun 30, 2007, 04:39 AM
great! now that i'm back at home from a party, my iPhone is finally activated! now i can talk on it tomorrow when i get up!

CJD2112
Jun 30, 2007, 04:46 AM
LOVE IT. Have no problem using it with WiFi in NYC. Somehow, no matter where I am, I'm able to find an unsecured network and I'm good to go. =)

Adamo
Jun 30, 2007, 04:55 AM
an iphone is currently selling for over $62,322! 1 (one) IPHONE! :eek: I guess 2-4 weeks is really THAT long for some people.

Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iphone-8GB-8-GB-i-phone-Mac-cell-phone-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ290134220620QQihZ019QQcategoryZ64355QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Honestly, I don't blame them. :D

Just shill/spoilt bids dude.

Adamo
Jun 30, 2007, 04:59 AM
For someone who's been a loyal customer and has spent thousands with Apple, I would have thought they'd have made it easier to actually buy and RECEIVE what they sell. I'm sure I'm not the only one who went online eager to spend $600 and then had second thoughts when the delay became apparent. I guess 'instant gratification' isn't part of their sales strategy...

What difference does it make that you're "loyal"? Plus, where else would you go?

They have made it easier to buy and receive the item, you click buy, it comes in the post. It couldn't be easier!

When they have to ship out tens of thousands of them, delivery won't be immediate, that's why it's an online service, people have to process and post them out - just like any other product. The 'wait' time will just be an over-estimate, I bet you'd get it long before then anyway, it's just to cover their backs.

Instant gratification is not possible when shopping online, that's why people go to shops. :rolleyes:

snowfall
Jun 30, 2007, 05:51 AM
Am I the only one who does not give a damn about iPhone? Bring on Leopard, iLife an Mac updates!!!

Yay iPhone!

Now can we get back to rumors about macs? :p

VaDor
Jun 30, 2007, 06:38 AM

I think the same... bring innovation to Mac:apple:

mccldwll
Jun 30, 2007, 06:38 AM

Why is Apple!Fre@k posting negative comments about a flooded market and big hits to stock price??????????? This sure looks like the kind of crap that is posted by "bashers" (those constantly posting negatively intended to move stock price down for their own purposes, or paid to do so by hedge funds who can make $$$ on small price drops) on financial message boards such as the now discredited yahoo. Look at the yahoo financial message board for aapl sometime and you'll see exactly what I mean. Or like the negative "hit pieces" which have been run on cnbc recently.

slackpacker
Jun 30, 2007, 06:55 AM
:D Can we all Laugh at the ebayers ... is that politically correct? :D

Because anyone who wants one got one and Available from the Apple store locations. Finally someone does not try to pull a Nintendo and create a constrained product.

I got one no waiting ... its awesome of course but finally I did not have to go wild and line wait for a Hot new gadget.

slackpacker
Jun 30, 2007, 07:08 AM
Apple!Fre@k

Why even post that so the Bone Head media can do what they always do create news out of nothing. But actually MSNBC did a good review just now.

For Once they made enough to satisfy demand..once people find out they can actually puchase it like a normal human they will get it. Its not a toy for Johnny and Briana for Christmas...its an amazing phone.

I for one am Very happy with my purchase

Digitalclips
Jun 30, 2007, 07:28 AM
I agree the hype may have overreached reality. While it's a cute conversation piece, I can't see getting one for now at all. Palo Alto University AV store has a ton in stock. I doubt they will ever run out.

Customer here told me that AT&T stores are letting people stand in line for hours knowing they don't have enough to sell and are making them wait all that time to ask the customer how they would like their iPhone shipped to them. Can you believe it?!?!

AT&T really blows and couldn't be a WORSE partner for Apple to team up with. :eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

Posting this from the Mac Pro in the corner. Typing on the iPhone is PAINFUL. :eek: It was fun to see the Steve Man Up Close for a change. His wife is unbelieveably beautiful.

I'm outa here. Bye 4 now. :)

What a load of negativity, not feeling well? :)

Digitalclips
Jun 30, 2007, 07:36 AM
Why is Apple!Fre@k posting negative comments about a flooded market and big hits to stock price??????????? This sure looks like the kind of crap that is posted by "bashers" (those constantly posting negatively intended to move stock price down for their own purposes, or paid to do so by hedge funds who can make $$$ on small price drops) on financial message boards such as the now discredited yahoo. Look at the yahoo financial message board for aapl sometime and you'll see exactly what I mean. Or like the negative "hit pieces" which have been run on cnbc recently.

I think you probably got it right in there somewhere ;) . Hey just ignore these types.

I can't wait for mine and the vast number of rave reviews last night were overwhelmingly; not just "It's ok" ... but "It is mind blowing!"

The main issue seems to be slowness of other carriers to allow switching ... Oh what a surprise! I can just imagine (NOT) Verizon et al had their staff staying up late and especially trained to ensure all their customers could transfer out smoothly .. yeah right! ... :D

Adamo
Jun 30, 2007, 07:38 AM
Apple!Fre@k

Why even post that so the Bone Head media can do what they always do create news out of nothing. But actually MSNBC did a good review just now.

For Once they made enough to satisfy demand..once people find out they can actually puchase it like a normal human they will get it. Its not a toy for Johnny and Briana for Christmas...its an amazing phone.

I for one am Very happy with my purchase
Exactly, it's like he wants people to struggle to find one. No one wants that. If they have enough stock to supply demand, that's a good thing. Even though it means some people camped for no reason (unless they had fun, which I hope they did).

cleanup
Jun 30, 2007, 07:40 AM
While I would love an iPhone, I don't think it's quite worth the investment, especially with cellphone service so expensive. I already pay enough as it is just for voice and text, which to me, is much more important than data transfer. For the average consumer, the iPhone is superfluous. But a lot of people on here seem to have bought it just because it's Apple and it's cool and you can swipe your finger across it to do cool stuff. I imagine that a lot of people will pull out the iPhone and use its amazing web browser and whatnot just because they have it, not because they actually need to.

But to those few people who truly need something like the iPhone, to keep up with business easily and whatnot, congratulations to you. The wait is over.

Now, if Apple released a nice touchscreen tablet using iPhone's technology and Leopard's resolution independence... then I'd listen up.

How about an iPhone without the phone? iPod with web browser and Wi-Fi? Make something for the masses, Apple!

Digitalclips
Jun 30, 2007, 07:50 AM
Now, if Apple released a nice touchscreen tablet using iPhone's technology and Leopard's resolution independence... then I'd listen up.

How about an iPhone without the phone? iPod with web browser and Wi-Fi? Make something for the masses, Apple!

I think (hope) you may be seeing both quite soon. The number of possible spin off products from this technology is huge. Both simpler as in a wi-fi (but no phone service) iPod (with all the apps) to a tablet with optional mouse, keyboard and pen seem to me to be do-able. I am drooling at the thought!

zapp
Jun 30, 2007, 07:56 AM

my account was pinged twice when I ordered , headset and iphone. sometime last night two charges were placed on the account for the iphone and expedited shipping. This usually indicates that it is going to ship soon. When I ordered my macbook pro this month, the charge didn't post till it was ready to ship. My order went through at 6:15 PDT.

mccldwll
Jun 30, 2007, 08:08 AM
I think you probably got it right in there somewhere ;) . Hey just ignore these types. ... :D

The problem is that some people who don't realize what might be going on pay attention to those kinds of posts. It's a kind of "swiftboating"--coordinated attacks with an ulterior motive. And it gets picked up and echoed elsewhere.

NevadaJack
Jun 30, 2007, 08:25 AM
Whatever "strategy" might be behind the 2-3 weeks ship time, it totally pissed me off. I got on apple.com at 6:01, put an 8GB iPhone in the cart, went to check out, chose the 2-3 day delivery and then saw the shipping time and said "screw you Apple!" After waiting all these months, the Apple website can't even ship out the product they've been hyping non-stop for maybe 2-3 weeks?! To me, that's ridiculous. Why didn't they allow pre-orders online so that they could gauge their inventory better? Or why not have several thousand available for shipping right away and then go to 2-3 weeks for later orders? As someone who's purchased a MacBookPro, G5, G4, iMac, 80GB iPod, iPod Shuffle, etc., etc. I was really excited about getting an iPhone. But now that I see how difficult Apple is making it to actually GET the product they've been dangling in front of people for months, I'm not so excited. It's like over-hyping a movie and then when you get to the theatre premiere they tell you can buy the ticket -- but you have to wait a few weeks before you can go in and see the movie. The Apple Online Store with no immediate delivery for their latest product? To me that's just not good customer service! For someone who's been a loyal customer and has spent thousands with Apple, I would have thought they'd have made it easier to actually buy and RECEIVE what they sell. I'm sure I'm not the only one who went online eager to spend $600 and then had second thoughts when the delay became apparent. I guess 'instant gratification' isn't part of their sales strategy...

I understand your frustration and I also almost cancelled on the final page. But I decided to order it at 6:18PM and then I got the email indicating more precise shipping and delivery times would be in an email by July 4th based on first come, first served. I think shipments will start very soon for most of the buyers who tried at 6:00.

mccldwll
Jun 30, 2007, 08:29 AM
I think (hope) you may be seeing both quite soon. The number of possible spin off products from this technology is huge. Both simpler as in a wi-fi (but no phone service) iPod (with all the apps) to a tablet with optional mouse, keyboard and pen seem to me to be do-able. I am drooling at the thought!

I agree. I may buy an iPhone just to play with the technology, but would love to have an iPhone nano (just phone), iPhone P-nano (w/ camera), iPhone V-nano (w/ video camera), and iPhone Beachcomber--9" x 12"x 1/2" tablet which you could use on the beach to read/surf about anything without worrying about wind, etc. (or on subway/bus/train, but that's boring).

BTW, everyone keeps talking about how expensive it is, without looking at the big picture. It's not really $600, and it is subsidized. AT&T's plans are priced anywhere from $10 to $20/mo. under what they reasonably could be. That translates to a subsidy of anywhere from $240 to $480 over the contract term. At the mid-point of $360 ($15.mo.), you're really paying only $240 for a handheld OSX enabled computer/ipod/phone/camera/wifi/etc., plus an additional $1.25/day ($35) for unlimited data/wifi on the fly. That's less that a small cup of plain coffee/day.

Digitalclips
Jun 30, 2007, 08:49 AM
The problem is that some people who don't realize what might be going on pay attention to those kinds of posts. It's a kind of "swiftboating"--coordinated attacks with an ulterior motive. And it gets picked up and echoed elsewhere.

True

fluidinclusion
Jun 30, 2007, 08:57 AM

ALL of the Yahoo message boards for stocks I used to read disintegrated into crap over the last 2-3 years. Now I don't read them at all. I read investorvillage.com. They're better for the ones I read about, but yahoo's boards just have losers.

rjwill246
Jun 30, 2007, 09:00 AM
First off- it is simply WAY better than I thought it would be. The reviewers have been very cautious. It is heavier than I thought it would be but the screen seems huge and the quality of the image is astounding.

The keyboard. There is audible feedback and that helps but in fact I was doing reasonable two thumbs typing immediately. I made less mistakes over the time it took to do two emails and the error correction facility is superb-- you just have to trust it and not backspace to correct errors!!!

The sycing of almost 2G of music took the same short time it did for my other iPods. The contact list was PERFECTLY imported with all my annotations coming over just a they are laid out in my Address Book. My other phones never could do this right, often making multiple entries under the same name with the fields incorrectly populated... not so, the iPhone.

This is one stunning device-- there IS NO other phone like it no matter what the panicked competitors are saying.

A word of praise for the ATT store-- they had about 100 phones and informed the 100th person that that was that-- some 5 hours before we got into the store which was great. They also kept a list of the order that people lined up, assigned everyone a number and let the first 5 people in at 6pm.
They had an escort who thanked each person for his/her patience, introduced you to your server based on whether you wanted a 4G or 8G iPhone, who said to pick accessories while a "runner" got the phone. In less than 5 minutes it was all over! Well done! I hate phone stores but this time it was a pleasure to go there. The staff was not very clued up about OSX but my server said, "After what I keep hearing from you guys, I am getting a Mac!" "So am I," said the escort. I think this phone is going to increase Mac sales no matter what analysts might say.

paja
Jun 30, 2007, 09:15 AM
I decided to skip yesterday's insanity and order on line. :)

I went to the Soho story at 9:15 this morniing to check the display iPhone out and was pleaantly surprised they still had plenty of 8 and 4 GB iPhones. I was out of there and back home in 10 minutes. Cancelled on-line order and unboxing 8GB iPhone now.

:)

shawnce
Jun 30, 2007, 09:32 AM
My understanding is quite the opposite. Assisted GPS is already in the phone. It's required in the United States by the FCC. So I don't think the phone would have gotten FCC approval without it. AGPS also works more reliabily without line-of-sight to the GPS satellites because it also uses triangulation with the cell phone towers. My understanding is that the service providers have resisted making this information available to customers because it might creep them out to know this information is available to the service provider.

AGPS is not required and AGPS is much different then triangulation.

E911 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E911) is what is required, which can be satisfied using AGPS among many other things.

IN other words the iPhone can fully support E911 requirement but that doesn't imply that the phone knows anything about its actual location.

dwsolberg
Jun 30, 2007, 09:37 AM
I got to my local mall about 2 hours and 20 minutes before 6, and the line of about 40 people was a blast. Everyone was excited and fun. The guy next to me even got our group a beverage from Starbucks. Speaking of Starbucks, they actually rolled a cart along the line and distributed free coffee and water. Godiva chocolate distributed coupons for a free chocolate, too. During the wait, we talked with others in line, read a little, and worked on the computer. It was definitely a fun way to spend the afternoon.

Also, the store manager came around and assured us that everyone would get an iPhone, and if there was some hiccup, we could call him and he'd make it right. I wish Apple retail employees were always this thoughtful. Again, the whole experience was great fun.

shawnce
Jun 30, 2007, 09:47 AM
Also, the store manager came around and assured us that everyone would get an iPhone, and if there was some hiccup, we could call him and he'd make it right. I wish my AT&T store experience (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=3844285&postcount=50) was even close to 1/4 your experience at the Apple store... :(

Raidersmojo
Jun 30, 2007, 10:11 AM

no one feels sorry for you. in fact, if you wanted the device so badly, you wouldn't of been lazy and tried to order it online but got IN LINE with everyone else.

so stop crying about "not being able to order from apple online and waiting 2-4 weeks"

While I would love an iPhone, I don't think it's quite worth the investment, especially with cellphone service so expensive. I already pay enough as it is just for voice and text, which to me, is much more important than data transfer. For the average consumer, the iPhone is superfluous.

going to have to say your wrong here, its simply better than other phones and you will never know until you get your hands on it. the commercials do no jusitce. this is a device you have to touch to believe

mccldwll
Jun 30, 2007, 10:28 AM
I got to my local mall about 2 hours and 20 minutes before 6, and the line of about 40 people was a blast. Everyone was excited and fun. The guy next to me even got our group a beverage from Starbucks. Speaking of Starbucks, they actually rolled a cart along the line and distributed free coffee and water.

Wait for the cross-promotions, discounts, etc. with Starbucks, MacDonalds, and everyone else with WIFI.

Jun 30, 2007, 10:40 AM
I'm using the iPhone to type this post. Watching the news coverage and reading the blogs I think a lot of people are missing the point.

Yes the features are incredible and some of them also need some work. That will come, as it usually does with technology. And in the case of iPhone, the beauty is that those design improvements can largely be addressed in software updates that will be very easy to run from the iTunes management.

The real point here is the overall concept. We can talk about features all we want but the real advantage iPhone has over the competition is in the usability and elegance of the user interface and service.

This not only includes the phone itself, which has a very intuitive interface, but also the management of content, upgrades,even initial setup and registration. In addition to the ridiculously easy setup, consider the planning and execution around getting hundreds of people through the Apple stores so quickly and with courtesy. I went to a store at 6pm and there were 400 to 600 people who all got one or two iPhones within an HOUR. How many stores have you been to where you wait 15-20 minutes for service when the place is hardly busy?

The real revolution here is that Apple has raised the bar tremendously on service and usability, the user experience and expectations.

macEfan
Jun 30, 2007, 11:43 AM
I'm using the iPhone to type this post. Watching the news coverage and reading the blogs I think a lot of people are missing the point.

Yes the features are incredible and some of them also need some work. That will come, as it usually does with technology. And in the case of iPhone, the beauty is that those design improvements can largely be addressed in software updates that will be very easy to run from the iTunes management.

The real point here is the overall concept. We can talk about features all we want but the real advantage iPhone has over the competition is in the usability and elegance of the user interface and service.

This not only includes the phone itself, which has a very intuitive interface, but also the management of content, upgrades,even initial setup and registration. In addition to the ridiculously easy setup, consider the planning and execution around getting hundreds of people through the Apple stores so quickly and with courtesy. I went to a store at 6pm and there were 400 to 600 people who all got one or two iPhones within an HOUR. How many stores have you been to where you wait 15-20 minutes for service when the place is hardly busy?

The real revolution here is that Apple has raised the bar tremendously on service and usability, the user experience and expectations.

wow that must have taken a while to type on the iphone! Do you like the virtual keyboard? Do you find it takes a while to type, or just about the same as a trio or something...?

swdesignr
Jun 30, 2007, 11:44 AM
"Raidersmojo

no one feels sorry for you. in fact, if you wanted the device so badly, you wouldn't of been lazy and tried to order it online but got IN LINE with everyone else.

so stop crying about "not being able to order from apple online and waiting 2-4 weeks"

Not looking for anything from anyone -- just relating my experience. If I could have been in line at AT&T I would have. And there is only 1 Apple store in the entire state and it is not close by.

My point was, for all the "loyal" and new customers who were ready to buy on the spot and couldn't get to an Apple store or their AT&T store ran out, apple.com should have been a more viable option. A 2-3 week wait, after whipping up a frenzy to get people to buy the product for the last 6 months, seems counter-productive to cashing in on the hype. But that's just my reaction -- I expected to be able to buy one online with express shipping.

I'm sure the shipping times will shorten after 7/4, but the initial shipping delay yesterday gave me time to think twice instead of just hitting that "buy" button. Not what you want someone to do in a sales situation. But I'm talking to Mac maniacs here, so I don't expect much sympathy. Just trying to look at it from the perspective of people who may have been on the fence about buying and got caught up in wanting one on June 29th or soon after. Apple didn't deliver online and that's just my opinion.

And not to belabor the point, but according to the Houston Chronicle today, AT&T will be shipping phones in 2-3 DAYS to the people who couldn't get one after they ran out...

"June 30, 2007, 10:37AM
On your mark, get set, activate that iPhone

By PURVA PATEL, ASHLEY HARRIS and DWIGHT SILVERMAN
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

They waited. They bought. They activated.

On Friday evening, buyers of iPhones in Houston, some of whom had waited in line all night, finally got their bragging rights.

After months of hype and at least a week of hysteria, the phone went on sale at 6 p.m. Friday at five Houston-area Apple stores and about 50 AT&T stores.

Forty-nine of 50 AT&T stores were sold out by 8 p.m., spokesman Dan Feldstein said. Apple did not have a sales report available. AT&T stores with no iPhones in stock will take reservations and ship them to consumers on a first-come, first-served basis in three to five days, he said. Apple also began online sales Friday evening."

BigTicket285
Jun 30, 2007, 12:07 PM
I am pumped about the new iphone and have made a new blog. Please come and post anything you have on your mind about it, My blog also has many links about anythng you need to know about the iphone.

Thanks, chris

shawnce
Jun 30, 2007, 12:36 PM
So I drove about 45 mins south to the nearest Apple store this morning and picked up an iPhone. ...just waiting for iTunes 7.3 and 10.4.10 to download on my MBP before the fun begins.

The device feel VERY solid... liking it so far. Also I played with one in the store while waiting in line... the virtual keyboard works well for me and I was able to type fairly well with two thumbs from the get go (I have average sized hands)

Object-X
Jun 30, 2007, 12:44 PM
This thing is amazing! I love it. Way better than I thought it would be. Major lust factor will keep em' selling. The T-Mobile store across from the Apple store last night looked really pathetic. :)

I can only imagine what the CEOs of major phone companies are thinking as they try this thing.

Apple does it again. :apple:

Rus Shackleford
Jun 30, 2007, 12:48 PM
count me as also a little pissed about the 2-4 weeks listed on the apple site. I missed getting an 8gb at my local at&t hole....errr, store by about 8 people. The line moved soooo slow there and the nearest apple store is 2 1/2 hours away from me. If that 2-4 weeks doesn't change in the next couple of days i'm going to rage. I haven't heard of one apple store selling out but the online store is a 2-4 week wait??? :mad:

Multimedia
Jun 30, 2007, 12:53 PM
Great. Now we can finally put all this iPhone crap to rest and focus back on Mac.Thank you.Am I the only one who does not give a damn about iPhone? Bring on Leopard, iLife an Mac updates!!!Nope You're not alone at all.ha, ill second that!Third..... lol...fourth...Yay iPhone!

Now can we get back to rumors about macs? :pReally.I think the same... bring innovation to Mac:apple:Zactly. Bring on the Stoakley-Seaburg 8 Core Mac Pros in August please.While I would love an iPhone, I don't think it's quite worth the investment, especially with cellphone service so expensive. I already pay enough as it is just for voice and text, which to me, is much more important than data transfer. For the average consumer, the iPhone is superfluous. But a lot of people on here seem to have bought it just because it's Apple and it's cool and you can swipe your finger across it to do cool stuff. I imagine that a lot of people will pull out the iPhone and use its amazing web browser and whatnot just because they have it, not because they actually need to.

But to those few people who truly need something like the iPhone, to keep up with business easily and whatnot, congratulations to you. The wait is over.

How about an iPhone without the phone? iPod with web browser and Wi-Fi? Make something for the masses, Apple!Yes.I think (hope) you may be seeing both quite soon. The number of possible spin off products from this technology is huge. Both simpler as in a wi-fi (but no phone service) iPod (with all the apps) to a tablet with optional mouse, keyboard and pen seem to me to be do-able. I am drooling at the thought!
Cant Get Video Out From Headphone Jack in Video iPod or Web Mode
Can't Record Video With The Camera
Can't Use Voice Commands To Make Calls Which I Use All The Time In The Car
Can't Use iPhone As Modem For a Mobile Mac which most others allow
Typing on the Virtual Keyboard is Quite Tedius although it may get easier over time

These are the reasons the "Frenzy" is on hold for me. Without Video output and recording capability and Voice Command, I can't rationalize buying one at any price.

Raidersmojo
Jun 30, 2007, 01:01 PM
2 1/2 hours away from me. If that 2-4 weeks doesn't change in the next couple of days i'm going to rage. I haven't heard of one apple store selling out but the online store is a 2-4 week wait???

I drove from mount pleasant mi to novi (like a 2 hour 45 minute drive or so when you stop for gas)

then I stood in line for 6 hours and waited for the phone was 36th in line!

shoulda drove ;)

Jun 30, 2007, 01:02 PM
wow that must have taken a while to type on the iphone! Do you like the virtual keyboard? Do you find it takes a while to type, or just about the same as a trio or something...?

You'll have to pardon my laborious response but I think it's important to take a step back and lay some foundation so you really see why I have the opinion I do of the keyboard...

I'm a rather fast typer as it is... but I hate the Treo and the Blackberry. In fact, I've hated PDA's so vehemently I originally refused to buy one until speech to text dictation was incorporated and highly accurate.

I'm typing this from my laptop just so I can get a lot of thoughts through faster... my previous post was just to serve as a sort of "proof of concept" that hey, look, I'm using the iPhone to do this... and it works well.

Here's the thing... I haven't spent much time on a Treo or Blackberry, chiefly because three minutes of fiddling with pulldown menus, etc. drove me up the freaking wall. The interfaces are so nonintuitive that whatever speed is gained on the keyboard is lost in other areas of productivity.

Where most companies tend to approach the problem of UI design like this, "Everyone likes small keyboards, we need a small physical keyboard," that doesn't really solve any problems other than how to be like the next guy to hopefully squeeze out some sales. But innovation requires a different mindset... The kind of mindset that asks, "How and why did it come to BE this way?"

We weren't always using small keyboards. There was a time people had to get used to them. How and why did we go that route? Is there a better way?

Well, there are tremendous gains in productivity and speed from navigating the iPhone interface and those cannot be overlooked... web browsing is ridiculously easy, navigating with depth-nested menus (click an icon, the next set of nested options takes its place, etc.) instead of two-dimensional small-print pull downs that could be endlessly messy and hard to immediately spot where you want go... and so on.

So then we come to the keyboard and it seems like a lot of people think this is going to slow you down. I submit to you that in less than a day I was typing faster on it than the Treo I wanted to throw through the window.

The key is, and this is not Apple RDF or fluff... you really do benefit by starting slow. This will give you time to see how the thing responds, where the buttons are, get the feel for how the auto-correction works, etc, without reading a tutorial. You can read all the tutorials you want, but there's no substitute for patience and experience... you might not notice something if you try going too fast. For example: In a few minutes I noticed that if I hit the wrong key and DON'T lift my finger but slide it to the correct key, wait a fraction of a sec for the key "blowup" confirmation and THEN release, it'll register that letter instead. A physical keyboard WON'T do this... fatfinger and "slide" over and you'll have two keystrokes and need to correct one of them.

Then you've got the autocorrection... It works similar to T9 prediction but a little smarter because the correcting word appears next to, not inline with, the text you're typing. Knowing when to hit the spacebar to accept the correction will seriously speed you up.

So Apple probably approached the problem by first trying to make the overall user experience a lot more direct... there's nothing more intuitive to a human being than manipulating objects in the real world and developing direct hand-eye motor coordination skill. Psych studies show that toddlers who play educational video games do not learn nearly as fast as kids who get more physical hands-on input in the real world. The problem is not the nature of simulation itself... it's how simulation is done. In those educational games, as long as they keep mashing a button eventually some button will produce the right result and often the wrong button will not produce a detrimental response.

Look at the iPhone interface... when you scroll slowly, there's no retained momentum... scroll-stop. Apply more force, and there's momentum... screen keeps scrolling a while. Apply even more force, even more residual scrolling. That's physics simulation. There are many different ways in which these clever design attributes have been incorporated into iPhone to replace the lack of tactile feedback with several layers of feedback.

If you're one of those people like me who stopped after a few minutes of using the iPhone wondering why it feels weird when you go back to a normal computer and why you got acclimated to the iPhone interface so quickly... it's BECAUSE of the way they combined direct object manipulation (e.g. pinching/stretching instead of using a magnifying glass icon and repeatedly clicking) with some basic physics simulation and responses that make operating the iphone as simple as knowing how to move objects anywhere in the real world.

That is the genius of multitouch. Apple would have been fools to put the question backwards and start with a physical keyboard to satisfy current market desire and try to get everything else other than text input to work harmoniously with such a clunky, non-direct input device.

Granted, I can type a LOT faster on a full-size keyboard than a multitouch interface... BUT, let's take a second to think about that. I've been typing on full-size keyboards for almost 30 years. Of COURSE I'm faster on this keyboard... I'm many, many times faster on this than I am on a small Treo keyboard. But within less than a DAY, I'm already typing many times faster on the virtual keyboard than I ever did on a Treo, or a Blackberry or the god-awful conventional phones I've had til now where while using SMS you have to click through each letter on the 10-digit keypad.

I will always be faster on a conventional full-size keyboard as long as I keep using it while I'm using multitouch... Perhaps check back with me in thirty years and see how lightning fast I am on a multitouch keyboard.

It's pretty amazing, I think, how they worked in additional features on the multitouch keyboard (such as the one-touch magnifying glass edit mode) to compensate for where you might ordinarily lose speed... Consider how any other company would have implemented a multitouch keyboard. Do you think with their tendency to follow linear, gradualistic progression (one baby-step tweak at a time, instead of paradigm shifts) that they would have anything even remotely as intuitive if they attempted (and they will very soon) to mimic the iPhone's way of doing things?

I always ask myself what would the iMac have looked like if Dell made it. They'd have started by insisting it cost less than half the iMac and then that condition would hang like a noose around their neck forcing use of cheaper materials... you can just imagine a display swivel arm made of cheap plastic with two tightening knobs at each joint... "Hilarious" is a word that comes to mind.

Digitalclips
Jun 30, 2007, 01:19 PM

Can't stop moaning, :rolleyes:
Don't buy one then. Jeez!

The iPhone is to the Phone what the Mac Plus was to the personal computer. Maybe it isn't doing everything that everybody can think up (it doesn't double as an egg beater either) but it is a paradigm shift of immense proportions.

inkswamp
Jun 30, 2007, 02:05 PM
I'm sort of amazed and disappointed at how myopic some of the opinions expressed here are about the iPhone. Some of you keep saying things about how you're tired of hearing about a phone and want some Mac news. Well, hullo... pay attention. You're seeing Mac news--it's just not labelled as such. The "iPhone" is really a tiny, mobile Mac that can make phone calls and emulate an iPod. Considering that it runs OS X, it's a little hard to argue otherwise.

If you're a Mac fan and want to see the Mac marketshare increase, you should be 100% behind the iPhone. In a sense, it's a trojan horse for getting OS X into people's lives--directly this time, not just by stirring interest amongst iPod owners. If the iPhone sees even a fraction of the success that the iPods saw, I think we're going to see an amazing halo effect and a considerable increase in interest in Macs.

I just don't get why some people are so down on the iPhone. Despite the name, it's really the newest addition to the Mac line.

Multimedia
Jun 30, 2007, 02:30 PM
Can't stop moaning, :rolleyes:
Don't buy one then. Jeez!

The iPhone is to the Phone what the Mac Plus was to the personal computer. Maybe it isn't doing everything that everybody can think up (it doesn't double as an egg beater either) but it is a paradigm shift of immense proportions.

Those are all normal included features in almost all other cell phones and the iPod - which is what part of the iPhone is advertised to be. I'm not buying one. I thought I made that abundantly clear. And I'm not moaning. I'm shining a light on some rather obvious glaring omissions I've not seen others post here.

someninjamaster
Jun 30, 2007, 03:15 PM
"The haters offer their assessment. The forums are ablaze with vitriolic rage. Haters pan the device for being less powerful than a Cray X1 while zealots counter that it is both smaller and lighter than a Buick Regal. The virtual slap-fight goes on and on, until obscure technical nuances like, “Will it play multiplexed Ogg Vorbis streams?” become matters of life and death."

stolen from http://www.misterbg.org/AppleProductCycle/

Jun 30, 2007, 03:32 PM
I think you hit on something with the observation that it's like a mobile mac. There's enough evidence that Apple is going into mobile computing and communications, and that the iPhone is really the toe in the water product that will usher in a series of multitouch platforms with wifi, 4G/wimax or whatever comes next.

I'm sort of amazed and disappointed at how
myopic some of the opinions expressed here are about the iPhone. Some of you keep saying things about how you're tired of hearing about a phone and want some Mac news. Well, hullo... pay attention. You're seeing Mac news--it's just not labelled as such. The "iPhone" is really a tiny, mobile Mac that can make phone calls and emulate an iPod. Considering that it runs OS X, it's a little hard to argue otherwise.

If you're a Mac fan and want to see the Mac marketshare increase, you should be 100% behind the iPhone. In a sense, it's a trojan horse for getting OS X into people's lives--directly this time, not just by stirring interest amongst iPod owners. If the iPhone sees even a fraction of the success that the iPods saw, I think we're going to see an amazing halo effect and a considerable increase in interest in Macs.

I just don't get why some people are so down on the iPhone. Despite the name, it's really the newest addition to the Mac line.

michelle21
Jul 1, 2007, 10:28 AM
"The haters offer their assessment. The forums are ablaze with vitriolic rage. Haters pan the device for being less powerful than a Cray X1 while zealots counter that it is both smaller and lighter than a Buick Regal. The virtual slap-fight goes on and on, until obscure technical nuances like, “Will it play multiplexed Ogg Vorbis streams?” become matters of life and death."

stolen from http://www.misterbg.org/AppleProductCycle/

I think this is a little off but extremely amusing. Let me state I would buy a mac over a windows pc any day, I have several of both 4 windows machines , 5 macs , 2 of them notebooks the macs are less troublesome. AND most importantly I have more confidence if I install an update that it won't be taking away or limiting functionality based on some obscue law. Much easier to backout changes on a mac since its more unix based, and no dlls or registry's to work with.

I think somehow the appletv and iphone are part of the same overall business model, and sometime soon will see some kind of integration.

What I'm hoping for, is that slingmedia does somekind of deal with apple . Appletv looks great on my htc 6800. And would dearly love to see that on my new iphone.

I think You must carefully read between the lines in the statements by apple. No sdk, means no 3rd party apps... Not quite true.. No third party apps without apple developing them.

There have been pleanty of companies that work in cooperation, No SDK doesn NOT mean there's no api, just means it may only be available to apple programmers and companies that work directly with apple and maybe smart hackers. (it was only a few weeks before the original xbox 1 sdk was leaked) sdk's are software class libraries, no software company in its right mind with more than 1 or 2 developers works without first developing a class library of functions.

Do you see an appletv sdk.
All this is speculation on my part, but again I think it depends what model apple chooses to follow.

1) the sony/microsoft model, try unsuccessfully to block any homegrown software (psp)

2) The tivo model , Ignore homebrew and hacks unless they involve stealing service (it took awhile for tivo to release an sdk for anything)

Based on what seems to be happening with appletv I think it might be 2.

again everything here is just speculation, but I'm really tired of the apple bashing. This is a new market for apple and I can't blame them for taking it somewhat slowloy.

slackpacker
Jul 1, 2007, 10:41 AM
Jeazzz....

They will get to it ... the device has been out 1 day now give it a rest with the 3rd Party apps. As of Vorg Orbis why can't you get with the program and encode your music in MP3 or AAC its been advertised that thats what the ipod uses for ages.... get with the program thats what the iPhone uses and its fine...

The iPhone does what it does and it does it well. I bought it for the ease of use... and it has excelled beyond my wildest dreams.

Rant over..... for now!

rob@robburns.co
Jul 1, 2007, 08:16 PM
AGPS is not required and AGPS is much different then triangulation.

E911 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E911) is what is required, which can be satisfied using AGPS among many other things.

IN other words the iPhone can fully support E911 requirement but that doesn't imply that the phone knows anything about its actual location.

I understand that E911 can be satisfied in various ways. However, how do you think the phone can tell the 911 authorities where it is, but not the user of the phone. Does that use the magic protocol? Its information available and should be made available to the user of the phone (not just to warrant-less authorities).

NevadaJack
Jul 2, 2007, 01:52 PM
Just received this from Apple Store...ships on July 6th.

mrbrown
Jul 4, 2007, 10:54 PM
Just received this from Apple Store...ships on July 6th.

You must be Mario, because you just got one-upped!! - shipped TODAY! :-D

http://homepage.mac.com/mrbrown2195/images/iphoneshipped.png
(of course, it shipped directly from the Chinese facility...)