Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsnop

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Loving my new iPhone, but the mail app downloaded all my e-mails on the servers - I was wondering if there is an easy way to delete all these e-mails in one swoop.

(As long as I'm asking, is there a way to manually add music to the iPhone?)

cyberone

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2005
Loving my new iPhone, but the mail app downloaded all my e-mails on the servers - I was wondering if there is an easy way to delete all these e-mails in one swoop.

using gmail? under "settings" you have to activate to only download new emails.

sonictonic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2006
San Jose, California
I too am having a little problem where I have my Gmail setup for POP only to allow new messages downloaded from now on, and yet my iPhone will constantly populate with 25 messages... When I start deleting them off the phone, more come in until it reaches 25.

How can I not have any of my old emails come through to my phone? Tips anyone?

Thanks. :)

PS - This device is still really impressing me!!! :D

chriswheat

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Disable recent mode on the iPhone. In this mode (advanced settings for the account) it will always try to pull in 25 (or 50, 100, etc) of your recent emails.

ktb53

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2003
California
too much email

I had this problem too, I actually had to remove a ton of email that was on my web server. I'm still looking into why my pop mail account isn't removing it but once I got it off the server my iphone mail started working properly.

I believe you have to delete all your mail one by one however you can either hit edit, then start hitting the red "no" sign then delete or you can slide your finger across an email to delete it.

terrrrrible

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2007
I turned Use Recent Mode off on both of my gmail accounts, and as I'm going through deleting my e-mails, it keeps pulling more in until it's at 25... what's the deal?

iMichael72

macrumors regular
May 19, 2007
Maryland, U.S.A
Disable recent mode on the iPhone. In this mode (advanced settings for the account) it will always try to pull in 25 (or 50, 100, etc) of your recent emails.

OK dumb question, but how do you get to the Advanced settings?
I thought I got to it before, but can't, for the life of me, find it now.

Thanks.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
OK dumb question, but how do you get to the Advanced settings?
I thought I got to it before, but can't, for the life of me, find it now.

Thanks.

Settings > Mail > Email Accounts - select email account > Advanced

coolosxapps

appleii2mac

macrumors regular
May 23, 2007
I'd like to know how to delete ALL emails in an iPhone in-box...

Well, this probably isn't exactly what you want, but you can delete the account, and then recreate it. All your emails in your inbox are gone (but it may try to download them again).

appleii2mac

macrumors regular
May 23, 2007
Well, this probably isn't exactly what you want, but you can delete the account, and then recreate it. All your emails in your inbox are gone (but it may try to download them again).

Just to clarify, I meant delete the account on the iPhone.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Same here - I believe I am in the correct place too. Help!
OK, something isn't right here. I found the Advanced setting, but don't see anything listed as Recent Mode.

Y'all are using Gmail accounts when doing this, right?

I believe this feature only applies to Gmail accounts, as earlier I was setting up AOL Mail on a friend's iPhone and I couldn't find the option under the Advanced menu to disable recent mail.

So if you can't see it, that may be the problem - that this feature may be Gmail-specific.

coolosxapps

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
Gmail is truly a mess on the iPhone . I've tried all the solutions listed in the various posts, and nothing seems to work. I've gone as far as archiving all the email in my inbox, there are zero emails on inbox and some how my phone still manages to pull old emails from somewhere.

iMichael72

macrumors regular
May 19, 2007
Maryland, U.S.A
Y'all are using Gmail accounts when doing this, right?

I believe this feature only applies to Gmail accounts, as earlier I was setting up AOL Mail on a friend's iPhone and I couldn't find the option under the Advanced menu to disable recent mail.

So if you can't see it, that may be the problem - that this feature may be Gmail-specific.

coolosxapps

OK, no, I'm using Comcast (POP) thanks.

I thought I was losing it there for a second!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.