PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii

iPowers
Jun 30, 2007, 11:46 AM
Does anyone happen to have them in your home? If you don't, it is probably handy for you. Especially Wii Sports. It is good for exercise and building strength (although it could have more options for it. What do you guys think of it?

Dagless
Jun 30, 2007, 11:57 AM
It's the best games system I've bought :) still playing Wii Sports with the family, and that Mario Smash Football game. Whilst Metal Slug and Zelda for the hardcore days. Excite Truck is just plain fun (with your own music on the SD card). And Resident Evil 4 is just :eek:

theLimit
Jun 30, 2007, 01:10 PM
I have still never seen one in person. It's been perpetually sold out everywhere around me. I'll just be patient and get one eventually, maybe by then there will be more than two games that I'd play for over an hour.

atiffarooq
Jun 30, 2007, 01:21 PM
I've had mine since launch day. Zelda is very good, Wii Sports is fun for the family. To be honest I'm a big fan of Nintendo but there isn't enough choice of games yet, hopefully that will change in the lead up to Christmas.

iPowers
Jun 30, 2007, 03:05 PM
It's the best games system I've bought :) still playing Wii Sports with the family, and that Mario Smash Football game. Whilst Metal Slug and Zelda for the hardcore days. Excite Truck is just plain fun (with your own music on the SD card). And Resident Evil 4 is just :eek:

Is the Mario Football game really out? What is it like?

Dagless
Jun 30, 2007, 03:51 PM
Got it a few weeks ago. It's a great game, but really only playable in short bursts. Against human players is as hectic as hell - CPU is quite easy though.

sb58
Jun 30, 2007, 05:46 PM
i have a Wii... all i play is WiiSports and i rarely play that anymore.

AppleGuy08
Jun 30, 2007, 06:32 PM
I bought my Wii about a month ago when i called and someone finally said, "yes, weve got 6 sitting right here." Got it at walmart. The first games i bought were Call of duty 3 and spidey 3. I still havent finished either. I got way to wrapped up in Zelda TP. Now that was a great game, took me about 65 solid hours of play to beat! I have wii sports and wii play for when friends come over. The only wii sports/play games i play by myself are tennis, bowling and billiards. I only play them because i got to pro status and its pretty fun lol.

Right now im on my resident evil 4 fix. I picked that game up the day it came out, wow, what a good game. Lots of blood and gore, great controls and storyline. Not to mention that the pricetag made my wallet happy, only 30 dollars for what can easily been charged 50 for.

The wii channels are decent. I only use internet browser, news and weather on a daily basis. Ever once in a while i go to the mii channel to receive miis that ppl send me. Same goes for everybody votes, i just go on to vote, predict and check results. I cant use the photo channel cause i dont have a compatible SD card. the wii is easily the best system ive owned.

Dagless
Jun 30, 2007, 06:51 PM
I got mine near my birthday. Went to some restaurant in Manchester, had a walk around later and saw that Argos had ~6 Wii's after the pre-orders were filled, though after the next shipment in 2 days time. Put a pre-order down, turned up 2 days later (~Jan 10th) and it was mine :D

Very very lucky. Caroline didn't get hers till a month later despite having 3 pre-orders with different shops. All of which turned up at the same time!

iPowers
Jun 30, 2007, 07:15 PM
I bought my Wii about a month ago when i called and someone finally said, "yes, weve got 6 sitting right here." Got it at walmart. The first games i bought were Call of duty 3 and spidey 3. I still havent finished either. I got way to wrapped up in Zelda TP. Now that was a great game, took me about 65 solid hours of play to beat! I have wii sports and wii play for when friends come over. The only wii sports/play games i play by myself are tennis, bowling and billiards. I only play them because i got to pro status and its pretty fun lol.

Right now im on my resident evil 4 fix. I picked that game up the day it came out, wow, what a good game. Lots of blood and gore, great controls and storyline. Not to mention that the pricetag made my wallet happy, only 30 dollars for what can easily been charged 50 for.

The wii channels are decent. I only use internet browser, news and weather on a daily basis. Ever once in a while i go to the mii channel to receive miis that ppl send me. Same goes for everybody votes, i just go on to vote, predict and check results. I cant use the photo channel cause i dont have a compatible SD card. the wii is easily the best system ive owned.

The main one I use is Everybody Votes Channel. It is so much fun. I like to vote in polls. I wish we could do more though.

The News and weather channel are mostly uselesss because you can just get on the computer.

Photo channel is useless. YOu c an't do anything aft er you store the photos.

the internet browser is useful, and could be handy, but even with the upgrade, it is better just to use your computer.

the Mii channel is for other cases, but none of the other miis visit my channel

:confused:

guitarmaster18
Jun 30, 2007, 07:27 PM
Yeah, I had a wii since launch day, but right now i'm kinda bored with it. I'm waiting for a bigger game selection to come out (Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Metroid Corruption, etc...)

Shotgun OS
Jun 30, 2007, 11:59 PM
I've had mine since the first week in June. I walked into a Walmart, saw a Wii in the case, and bought it. Pure random luck.

I think the Wii is an amazing game system with a ton of potential.

I own Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Resident Evil 4. In the past week, I've spent at least 40 hours on RE4. One of the best games. Ever. The controls are amazing, and it has all the aspect of survivial horror in it.

Wii Sports is a very good game. It strengthened my arm enough for me to be able to hold the Wiimote at the screen constantly in RE4.

Also, I've rented Warioware, Excite Truck, and Super Paper Mario. Warioware was good, until my friend and I beat it in under 2 hours. Excite Truck is very great, and I will end up buying it. SPM was entertaining, just not enough to engross me into the game.

psycoswimmer
Jul 1, 2007, 12:03 AM
I've had a Wii since about February. I used to play it almost every day. Now, I still like it just as much, but I don't really play it. This isn't really so much the Wii, it's more my preference. I'd rather spend my free time surfing the web, or now that it's summer and school is out, going to the beach, swimming, running around, etc. It's still extremely useful when friends come over; if just for YouTube. Also, in my scenario, the Wii is in the basement. I think I'd play it more if it was upstairs in our family room, and just "there". My dad won't let it go in there though, as he thinks I'll smash the new TV or something. :p

InWake
Jul 3, 2007, 06:45 AM
Just bought a wii yesterday and I gotta say it's really fun! Wiisports is addictive and I can't wait to rent some games. Just waiting for SSBB though.

sarcosis
Jul 3, 2007, 09:06 AM
Camped out and got mine on launch day. I have to say i'm thankful too. Since launch, i've seen it on three different occasions. Once at Meijer, Twice at Best Buy. I have to say, I didn't expect the rarity level still as high as it is in July. I was sure that around April these would be on shelves for sure. But 8+ million units sold world wide says something in 7 months.

In any case. Zelda: TP is amazing. I still haven't finished it due to lack of time, that and my Wii is at my finance's place right now. I'm stuck with my 360. Though i really want to finish Zelda, i'm almost done. Wario Ware is tons of fun.

I have Zelda:TP Warioware, Wii Play, Wii Sports, and i think that's it. I did alot of renting via Gameznflix for games, mainly because i'm a bit poor right now. But great fun, good for a party and lots of people. A must at college.

GFLPraxis
Jul 3, 2007, 03:56 PM
C
In any case. Zelda: TP is amazing. I still haven't finished it due to lack of time, that and my Wii is at my finance's place right now. I'm stuck with my 360. Though i really want to finish Zelda, i'm almost done. Wario Ware is tons of fun.

I beat TP this last Thursday :D Finally!

risc
Jul 3, 2007, 04:15 PM
What do you guys think of it?

Other than Wii Sports probably 1 of the most boring consoles I've ever owned. :)

twistedlegato
Jul 3, 2007, 04:16 PM

:eek:

Are you serious? I thought you got yours on launch day! How could you have not of finished it within a month!:D

Dagless
Jul 3, 2007, 04:17 PM

TP will be the first Zelda I look forward to playing through again. Haven't beat Zelda 1-3, I'm feeling no pressure to go back and play them. I just have great memories of playing through TP. On a design level (in maps, music, enemies...) it rules supreme.

GFLPraxis
Jul 3, 2007, 08:13 PM

Are you serious? I thought you got yours on launch day! How could you have not of finished it within a month!:D
I know. Sad :( I've just been ridiculously busy with uni, started a new job, and I've been getting all the high-profile games (Excite Truck, Super Paper Mario, Rayman, Wii Play, etc, etc) for Wii and DS...and I bought 11 Virtual Console games :D

Really, I've been stuck at 35 hours for three months now. I finally cracked down and finished the last 5 hours.

GFLPraxis
Jul 3, 2007, 08:14 PM
TP will be the first Zelda I look forward to playing through again. Haven't beat Zelda 1-3, I'm feeling no pressure to go back and play them. I just have great memories of playing through TP. On a design level (in maps, music, enemies...) it rules supreme.

It was too long though :( I beat Wind Waker in 20 hours, and later went back and went through it again. TP is just soooo long I'm afraid to start a new game.

It was a work of art though.

I remember going back and beating Link's Awakening over and over and over though. :D

OttawaGuy
Jul 3, 2007, 08:28 PM
http://wiiweightlossplan.com/

Another week has progressed and it's been 17 weeks now since I started the Wii Weight Loss Plan. I am now officially 2 pounds away from 40 pounds lost and 2 pounds away from teaching the halfway point in my goal.

Since we're approaching the end of the month I decided to go ahead and measure myself - I've included the measurements of when I started out on the plan:

Feb. 22, 2007 - 270 pounds. Waist - 48.5". Neck - 18.75".
March 20, 2007 - 260 pounds. Waist - 48". Neck - 18.25"
May 1, 2007 - 250 pounds. Waist - 46". Neck - 17"
May 28, 2007: 240 Pounds. 43.5" waist. 16.5" neck.
June 25,2007: 232 Pounds. 42" waist. 16" neck.
Since starting the plan on February 22, 2007 I have lost 38 pounds, 6.5 inches off my waist and 2.25 inches off my neck.

Not too shabby for playing the Wii every day and changing my eating habits.

Aranince
Jul 3, 2007, 11:56 PM
Yea I have one. I can't wait for Smash Bros Brawl, Battalion Wars 2, and Geometry Wars. But I need to save money for my first Mac as well...so this is going to be a tough decision. Yay Christmas!

pcypert
Jul 4, 2007, 10:00 AM
I will never play TP again...ever. Too many bits of frustration that came solely from stupidness.

If that little TP girl can sometimes help you jump things she should be a permanent option. Not looking for places where she will actually work.

Ruppees should matter. There should be actual stuff to buy besides the tried and true Zelda fare. More variety in shields, etc would be nice.

Leveling up should matter some. There was no reason to kill enemies so I ended up running past so dang many of them as there was no bonus for killing them.

I have way, way more complaints about control and camera foolishness. Plus Jimmi has no way of saying bad things about Oblivion back in the day with enemies popping up out of nowhere...this happened to me a bunch in this game. I loved the game and am glad I played it. I would never buy it at full price though and would rate it strong but not a best of all time. I think it lays the framework for a potentialy great Wii Zelda in the future though. They have to step up the RPG elements a bit though. It's too expansive to just be an action game.

Paul

seenew
Jul 4, 2007, 11:56 PM
Does anyone happen to have them in your home? If you don't, it is probably handy for you. Especially Wii Sports. It is good for exercise and building strength (although it could have more options for it. What do you guys think of it?

you sound like a bot :p

iPowers
Jul 7, 2007, 01:26 PM
Check out my other posts and I am a bot

I like TP too, but I hate how in certain things I get scared of, like enemies. Otherwise I would of beaten the game right now.

And for Super Smash Bros Brawl, according to their forum, they say that there will be a ton of new characters that weren't used before and I think at least 50 will be there. There is a topic there where you can submit your character and it will be considered. there are over 50 characters already.

SpankyPenzaanz
Jul 7, 2007, 04:26 PM
Got mine in January by pure random luck. Bought Zelda beat it and guess what its still the same game I have been playing for the last 20years. Its good but boring and monotonous. It sat around and collected dust until recently when i bought the Bigs and enjoying it once more. When friends come over we play wiisports but that usually only last about an hour and then we play some RB6vegas, TMNT(Arcade), NHL2K7 and a few others.

With the major ***** up of metroid (no multi - just give us co-op, I dont care about PvP), I don't know what game I will buy next for wii(that has a release date). There's mario galaxy but don't care too much for the platformer. RE4 played it and loved it on GC and will prob get when I can find it for less than $20. Mario Kart only if they make it online. There is a new BrothersIn Arms game for wii coming in september but that is schedduled between release of mass effect and halo3 and the brothersin arms game for x360 is coming in november anyway. Also have 2Worlds coming in end of July and I will finally have a footbal game soon with AllProFootball 2K8. In the meantime I have Lord of the RIngs Online Shadows of Angmar.

GFLPraxis
Jul 7, 2007, 04:55 PM
With the major ***** up of metroid (no multi - just give us co-op, I dont care about PvP),

What are you talking about? Metroid has never had multiplayer. Only two Metroid games have ever had multiplayer in the history of the franchise, and one sucked and the other was a handheld game.

Anyway, here's an answer for you: Smash Bros.

iPowers
Jul 16, 2007, 05:03 PM
Got mine in January by pure random luck. Bought Zelda beat it and guess what its still the same game I have been playing for the last 20years. Its good but boring and monotonous. It sat around and collected dust until recently when i bought the Bigs and enjoying it once more. When friends come over we play wiisports but that usually only last about an hour and then we play some RB6vegas, TMNT(Arcade), NHL2K7 and a few others.

With the major ***** up of metroid (no multi - just give us co-op, I dont care about PvP), I don't know what game I will buy next for wii(that has a release date). There's mario galaxy but don't care too much for the platformer. RE4 played it and loved it on GC and will prob get when I can find it for less than $20. Mario Kart only if they make it online. There is a new BrothersIn Arms game for wii coming in september but that is schedduled between release of mass effect and halo3 and the brothersin arms game for x360 is coming in november anyway. Also have 2Worlds coming in end of July and I will finally have a footbal game soon with AllProFootball 2K8. In the meantime I have Lord of the RIngs Online Shadows of Angmar.

What about Super Smash Bros Brawl?

And TP is the first legend of zelda game I ever bought because at the time it game it, it was the best one and I didn't like them. I tired it and I liked it. But I bet if I tried the others, I may say the same thing, although I have played the others for like 10 mintues and they seem nothing alike to each other.

dodong
Jul 18, 2007, 01:03 AM

I intend to get one in a month or two when I will finally be free of my obligation. I intend to use it primarily to have some exercise because I haven't got time to do it. It should be fun for sure.

MacRumorUser
Jul 18, 2007, 04:20 AM
And TP is the first legend of zelda game I ever bought because at the time it game it, it was the best one and I didn't like them. I tired it and I liked it. But I bet if I tried the others, I may say the same thing, although I have played the others for like 10 mintues and they seem nothing alike to each other.

OK well I'm not sure what to make of your grammar, but in regards to Zelda.

Fundamentally the game-play has remained the same for a long while. Some would argue if you have a magic recipe, why mess with it - but at the same time others like Spanky will find the same basic concept of go here, do this person a favor, enter dungeon, solve some elementary puzzles, find map, find compass, find the key to the boss door - enter and kill boss of dungeon 1, return with favor, go to next location, do person a favor, which involved entering a new dungeon, solve some elementary puzzles, find map, find compass, find the key to the boss door, kill boss of dungeon 2 - a tad not necessarily boring, but repetitive and uninspiring.

Yes the basic story changes, but the underlying game-play doesn't. Even when there has been some game-play changes put into the mix - like the boat sections in WindWaker, they have been less than well received by fans.

But what about the alternative dimensions or worlds you ask ? Well most of the games since Link to the Past have had that. Dark world, or time travel, or smaller world (minish cap) all are basic fundamental copies of an idea.

So I'm afraid whilst the games are fantastically popular, they do have a tendency to be 'unoriginal' - but then introducing a load of new things, making fundamental game-play changes - then to be quite blunt.. It wouldn't be Zelda.

pcypert
Jul 18, 2007, 05:27 AM
I agree with MRU. The games are cool for nostalgia for me...I like that there's always Rupees and compasses and Dungeon keys...but I wish they could find a way to expand things or something.

TP for me needed to have more RPG elements...it was almost too much "on rails" for me. There's this big world out there...but not much reward for killing lots of folks or making lots of money.

I'd be really happy if they kept the game looking mostly the same in a sequal...same graphics, characters, etc...but added more dimension to it...more Oblivion like, but with Zelda characters. Plus I'd love to see a love triangle with Zelda and the TP :D

Paul

Dagless
Jul 18, 2007, 06:01 AM
I agree, I think there needs to be a change in gameplay. Twilight Princess, whilst awesome, isn't as fresh feeling as OoT. They need a change there and I thoroughly expect the next Zelda to be a very different experience to fully accommodate motion controls.

MacRumorUser
Jul 18, 2007, 06:48 AM
^ But saying all that I'll be buying Phantom Hourglass 195% :D

But yeah a new more open world Link where you are not basically following the linear plot of go here, next go there. A hyrule where I can go anywhere at any point - without magic barriers holding me back because I havent completed everything in set order.

Where the story evolves around you from the different corners of the world, where in the end it all pulls together, rather than you just been taken on a ride.

Zelda is awesome, but it sits in a gaming universere where we have seen the benefits of open worlds and because it clings to it's old routes so firmly - it's looking a little dated.

I'm not sure motion controls alone can move the franchise to the next level, the basics fundementals have to not necesserily change - but evolve with it.

We probaly wont see another Zelda on the Wii until 2009/10 - and by that time open world rpg's and adventure games will have progressed to the next level - Zelda needs to follow suit.

It needs to be the 'bowie' of action rpg's and whilst constantly adapt and be on the cusp. Ocarina of Time shaped a hell of a lot of games and spawned a whole host of imitators.

Twilight Princess doesnt have the same feel, it mostly feels like an updated imitation of OOT and hence that freshness, that wow factor that influence games after game subsequently is simply not there.

Yes it's a Zelda game in every sense, but on the whole - it's a pretty unremarkable game. Don't get me wrong - it's a great game in it's own right, but it's not the zenith, the pinacle we have come to expect from the gaming franchise.

Somthing needs to be done, the next Zelda needs to set the standard once again.

Dagless
Jul 18, 2007, 07:03 AM
I'm thinking a lot of the next Zelda is going to be based upon Mario Galaxy, in that Galaxy seems to be a rethinking of the platform genre, how could Nintendo rethink the Action RPG genre?

Perhaps Zelda isn't the catalyst for that. Part of me hopes it'll be something new. Nintendo invented so many genres now that it feels we're about ready for a new type of RPG. Open-ended is great and all, but I always find theres lack of goal and much more difficult to come back to mid-way.

I don't mind the handheld versions being odes to the past. Theres a lot of perfection in the formula already. But the next console romp has to be something new, if not to give Zelda a new feel but to inspire the gaming market like they did pre-Gamecube.

Everythings got so recycled and predictable now. Galaxy is the only non-independant, non-art house game that looks to bring something new to the industry to me. I couldn't care less about the majority of these PS3, Wii and 360 games coming out. If I'm interested it's to finish off the story (Prime 3), or have some more mindless multiplayer fun (Mario Kart, Brawl).

If it wasn't for a mini selection of a few modern gems I'd have given up on modern day gaming and stuck to indie. Which reminds me - my friends game Knytt Stories is out soonish. If you don't download you're sad. :p

MacRumorUser
Jul 18, 2007, 07:17 AM
Which reminds me - my friends game Knytt Stories is out soonish. If you don't download you're sad. :p

ha ha your friends got knytt's :D Perscription shampoo for you ;)

remember to post us a link when it's out :)

atszyman
Jul 18, 2007, 08:08 AM

I was about to say I have that beat, but you had your Wii about 6 weeks before I got mine so I've still got about 3 weeks left to finish...

And I thought I was slow...

I finally fired it up for the first time since May 15 last night to try to progress some... I figure I'm about 3-4 hours from completion, but with a newborn and a toddler finding time to play is tough...

Once I finish it'll be about time to start up with Metroid... and that doesn't even account for me wanting to pick up Zelda I&II, and SMB2 for the VC...

Damn you Nintendo, why did you have to make me want to play old and new games again?

mpcoady
Jul 18, 2007, 08:26 AM
I've never been a huge gamer, but the Wii is pretty sweet. I liked the fact that it was reasonably priced & had a pretty decent selection of games. I have Wii Sports, Tiger Woods '07 and Super Paper Mario.

Haven't played recently, but was working on Super Paper Mario. It's a pretty fun game with cool visual effects.

dodong
Jul 21, 2007, 09:50 PM
I happened to see this last night. Introducing Wii Fit (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ifgYGGb--vM). I don't have an idea what the others can say about it. In my opinion, this could be trouble to them.

Dagless
Jul 21, 2007, 10:00 PM
I happened to see this last night. Introducing Wii Fit (http://youtube.com/watch?v=ifgYGGb--vM). I don't have an idea what the others can say about it. In my opinion, this could be trouble to them.

Definitely. WiiFit is going to be astronomical for the casual and keep-fit gamers markets.

zero2dash
Jul 22, 2007, 12:16 AM
Definitely. WiiFit is going to be astronomical for the casual and keep-fit gamers markets.

In a post-DDR/PIU/ITG gaming world...no. Not astronomical.
The only thing WiiFit has going for it is it's less intimidating than the aforementioned Bemani games, but I guarantee it's overall impact on exercise/weight loss (compared to those Bemani games) will be laughable.

GFLPraxis
Jul 22, 2007, 02:53 AM
I'm thinking a lot of the next Zelda is going to be based upon Mario Galaxy, in that Galaxy seems to be a rethinking of the platform genre, how could Nintendo rethink the Action RPG genre?

Perhaps Zelda isn't the catalyst for that. Part of me hopes it'll be something new. Nintendo invented so many genres now that it feels we're about ready for a new type of RPG. Open-ended is great and all, but I always find theres lack of goal and much more difficult to come back to mid-way.

I don't mind the handheld versions being odes to the past. Theres a lot of perfection in the formula already. But the next console romp has to be something new, if not to give Zelda a new feel but to inspire the gaming market like they did pre-Gamecube.

Everythings got so recycled and predictable now. Galaxy is the only non-independant, non-art house game that looks to bring something new to the industry to me. I couldn't care less about the majority of these PS3, Wii and 360 games coming out. If I'm interested it's to finish off the story (Prime 3), or have some more mindless multiplayer fun (Mario Kart, Brawl).

If it wasn't for a mini selection of a few modern gems I'd have given up on modern day gaming and stuck to indie. Which reminds me - my friends game Knytt Stories is out soonish. If you don't download you're sad. :p

Reminds me of that Zelda April Fools...
http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/BlindsideDork/futuristic-zelda-thoughts-make-believe--33877.phtml

twoodcc
Jul 25, 2007, 09:51 AM
so is the Wii in stores now, or mainly sold out everywhere?

Mr. MacBook
Jul 25, 2007, 10:07 AM
I'm a die-hard nintendo fan-boy from SNES to GameCube, with GB color and GBA SP/Micro, but i'm planning to sell my wii for a 360 cause wii has absolutely no good games, except for SSBB and Mario Galaxy.

Ja Di ksw
Jul 25, 2007, 10:19 AM
^^

I have been Rick Rolld, and I hate you for it :D.

At the risk of feeding the troll, you have to be joking that those are the only two games coming out (or even out) that look good. Ok, stopping myself before I feed it too much.

kgarner
Jul 25, 2007, 11:17 AM
so is the Wii in stores now, or mainly sold out everywhere?
I think it depends on the region. I got mine as a gift and my Mom bought it back in Washington, but they are in a small town. It wasn't until just the other night that I saw some Wiis actually in stores here where I live.

Dagless
Jul 25, 2007, 11:33 AM
I'm a die-hard nintendo fan-boy...

No, you're not. I'm a Sega and Nintendo fan and I'm loving what the Wii has to offer. I also have other systems mostly so other folk can't just chant "fanboy" without making them look like lemons.

twoodcc
Jul 25, 2007, 11:33 AM
I think it depends on the region. I got mine as a gift and my Mom bought it back in Washington, but they are in a small town. It wasn't until just the other night that I saw some Wiis actually in stores here where I live.

after calling around, only 1 place i found that has one. why are they sold out everywhere?

and is there any rumors of an updated Wii for next year?

GimmeSlack12
Jul 25, 2007, 11:39 AM
I sometimes think the Wii is a little too much work.

I just bought "The Bigs" and honestly, do I have to swing my arm around to throw the ball? Or to dive? These actions don't even simulate throwing a baseball, you're just swinging your arm around.

Ja Di ksw
Jul 25, 2007, 11:51 AM
I sometimes think the Wii is a little too much work.

Every time I see a comment like this I wish I had the addy for that old picture of a fat kid eating chips and watching tv while complaining that he would have to *move* to play the Wii :).

Honestly, when we were kids we use to just run, nothing else, *just run* for fun. Now we don't want to move our arms because it's too tiring?

Sky Blue
Jul 25, 2007, 11:54 AM
picture of a fat kid eating chips

http://www.comegetyousome.com/images/sc_fat_kid.jpg

Ja Di ksw
Jul 25, 2007, 12:05 PM
Ha, thanks, that is a fat child. There was some Wii picture before it came out that was circulated around, though. It had a kid on a couch, the chips were all over his shirt, and some quote saying "What, you want me to move?!" or something like that.

Good to know there are plenty of fat kid pictures out there, though. I feel good about being an American.

MacRumorUser
Jul 25, 2007, 12:45 PM
Love the Alf T-Shirt :)

http://friends.timway.com/photos/Eddielwy/fat%20kid12.jpg

GimmeSlack12
Jul 25, 2007, 02:06 PM
Honestly, when we were kids we use to just run, nothing else, *just run* for fun. Now we don't want to move our arms because it's too tiring?

I guess this is the part where I defend myself by saying I'm a tri-athlete or something (I'm not) and am in great shape (I kinda am). But I won't.

Some games for the Wii are more or less ports from other systems and have had the control scheme redone. It just doesn't make sense in having to flail my arms to throw to 2nd base.

If you're a fatty who plays too many video games, I'm sorry to hear that. Get a Wii and eat a salad. But for those who do work, and do exercise, and do get tired by the end of the day. The idea of playing the Wii is a bit too much work as well as confusing with some of these lame control schemes. I am thinking of selling my modded Wii (WiiKey) to get a 360.

Dagless
Jul 25, 2007, 02:16 PM
I go for treks on the moors and do fell running, I regularly use our multigym and treadmill. I do a lot to tire myself out but I've never found anything as basic as playing Wii Sports (other than Boxing, depending on opponent that game really tires me out!), Exite Truck, Zelda etc and my arms aren't even that big.

If you're going all out when playing Wii games (flailing arms you said) then you're playing wrong. You don't have to go all out when playing since few games have 1:1 controls.

GimmeSlack12
Jul 25, 2007, 02:28 PM
I am not playing wrong. I do just fine in the games I play. But the Wii is just not quite what I thought it would be. I think the games still have a ways to go, mainly 3rd party.

Dagless
Jul 25, 2007, 02:35 PM
So you're saying I'm fat? Or that I should buy a 360?

If you're going all out when playing Wii games (flailing arms you said) then you're playing wrong.

-

twoodcc
Jul 25, 2007, 05:13 PM
well i actually just bought a Wii, since i found a store that had them. i figure if i don't like it, then i'll take it back.

so far, it's great though. only have Wii Sports right now though

how is excite truck?

MacRumorUser
Jul 25, 2007, 05:21 PM
how is excite truck?

excite truck is the marmite of Wii games.

You either love it or hate it.

twoodcc
Jul 25, 2007, 05:28 PM
excite truck is the marmite of Wii games.

You either love it or hate it.

do you get to play with real trucks?

MacRumorUser
Jul 25, 2007, 05:39 PM

No that would make the game quite pricy, and most stores wouldn't have enough shelf room ;)

Shotgun OS
Jul 25, 2007, 05:41 PM

Well, the trucks look (sorta) like real trucks, except they hate names such as Wolf and Firefly. The word 'real' gets stretched when you fly over canyons. ;)

Dagless
Jul 25, 2007, 05:46 PM
It's just before Mario Kart and F-Zero on the "real" scales. And is tremendous fun. There are 3 distinct vehicle classes - trucks, strange little nippy things and jeeps.

pcypert
Jul 25, 2007, 09:32 PM
I was on an island this past weekend with excite truck like terrain...kept thinking what it would be like for real to drive like that there...actually not a pleasant thought. Put me in the camp that likes it though. Loads of quick fun.

Paul

twoodcc
Jul 25, 2007, 10:19 PM
It's just before Mario Kart and F-Zero on the "real" scales. And is tremendous fun. There are 3 distinct vehicle classes - trucks, strange little nippy things and jeeps.

thanks. i'll look into it. any other games you suggest for the Wii?

Shotgun OS
Jul 25, 2007, 10:50 PM
thanks. i'll look into it. any other games you suggest for the Wii?

Resident Evil: 4 is a very great game, even if it is just a port.
Super Paper Mario is good in small doses: Gets boring very quickly.
WiiPlay is ok.......I got it mainly for the controller, but it has a few decent games.
Excite Truck is amazing. Definitely a must have.
Warioware: Rent it, don't buy it. I beat it in about 2 hours.

pcypert
Jul 26, 2007, 01:17 AM
Res 4 for sure if you haven't played already

Paper Mario was fun, but too much dialogue for me to play through again probably. They should have a feature that lets you turn story mode off and straight platforming after you've beaten it...

Strikers

I love Brain Age

Madden is pretty fun and I don't like US football games typically

loads others...PoP is fun, Godfather, etc...

Paul

Dagless
Jul 26, 2007, 03:16 AM
Strikers is a whole world of fun.
Metal Slug for comedy and action.
WarioWare, RE4 are good buys.

twoodcc
Jul 26, 2007, 06:19 AM
thanks for the suggestions guys. i'm not sure which game i'm gonna buy first.

phanboyjohn
Jul 26, 2007, 07:50 AM
Definitely second a lot of these recommendations, but do keep in mind your situation when buying Wii games--some of them are fantastic in a group but utterly awful otherwise. I play WiiPlay, for example, because I know someone that is into some of the games. That makes the game fun. Playing the games otherwise is pretty awful--it's basically a glorified Flash game.

Similarly, WarioWare is a really great game if you're playing with a big group doing wacky motions, but seems ridiculous playing alone (similar to playing Karaoke Revolution alone, for example).

Just my two cents.

Dagless
Jul 26, 2007, 08:29 AM
but do keep in mind your situation when buying Wii games--some of them are fantastic in a group but utterly awful otherwise.

This is true. The Wii is the first console I've owned that would never go in the bedroom. It's our first console in the living room. Part of the reason I put off buying RE4 was to buy some multiplayer VC games.

Even Galaxy has multiplayer support (which is funny, it's been semi-confirmed for a very long time now. some online shops had it listed as 1-2 players way before the co-op announcement). It's really inspiring to see this.

GFLPraxis
Jul 26, 2007, 12:34 PM
Even Galaxy has multiplayer support (which is funny, it's been semi-confirmed for a very long time now. some online shops had it listed as 1-2 players way before the co-op announcement).

Wait, that hadn't been announced? A Nintendo rep told me at E3 2006 that a second person could use a Wii remote as the pointer for co-op.

2nyRiggz
Jul 26, 2007, 02:35 PM
Okay now if they ever bring this over(Which I know they will sooner or later) to the wii then I'll be all over the wii again.

http://silenthillorigins.com/
(check out the youtube movie on the page)

Bless

Jack Flash
Jul 27, 2007, 11:55 PM
I've gotta say just go for a walk daily if you want to improve your health. It's a pretty simple way to do so!

But concerning games, I think the Wii has a fair amount to offer.

Right now it's pretty bleak. I'd say current releases (I'll count August in this)

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Wii Sports
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Wario Ware: Smooth Moves

In the future, though, I foresee the following to be good choices

Zack and Wiki: The Quest for Barbaros Treasure
Battalion Wars ii
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Mario Kart Wii

twoodcc
Jul 29, 2007, 12:10 AM
is Super Paper Mario any good? (and why is it called paper?)

Shotgun OS
Jul 29, 2007, 01:08 AM

It's alright. Not a game you can get deep into, though. Play it for about an hour and it will get boring, but in small doses its good. It's called Paper because all of the graphics appear as if they are drawn, or cardboard cutouts. When to flip into 3D mode, most of the environment is flat.

GFLPraxis
Jul 29, 2007, 01:38 AM

It's pretty good. Very humorous, and fun.

The Paper comes from the fact that it has a very distinctive art style where the entire world is 2D, with the characters being like sheets of paper. Mario gains the ability to move into the third dimension, while the stage and characters remain 2D and paper-thin, resulting in some interesting puzzles.

twoodcc
Jul 29, 2007, 10:17 AM
It's alright. Not a game you can get deep into, though. Play it for about an hour and it will get boring, but in small doses its good. It's called Paper because all of the graphics appear as if they are drawn, or cardboard cutouts. When to flip into 3D mode, most of the environment is flat.

It's pretty good. Very humorous, and fun.

The Paper comes from the fact that it has a very distinctive art style where the entire world is 2D, with the characters being like sheets of paper. Mario gains the ability to move into the third dimension, while the stage and characters remain 2D and paper-thin, resulting in some interesting puzzles.

thanks guys. i might have to try it out. not sure if it should be the first game that i buy or not though (only game i've bought is Wii Play b/c it comes with a controller)

pcypert
Jul 29, 2007, 10:44 AM
I liked it (Super Paper Mario) fine. There's a few extra challenges to do after you've beaten it...kind of hard too. A little too much talking for me though. It's funny dialogue, but I was wanting to move a bit quicker through things. If you relax and move through it slowly discovering all the hidden characters and what not it's pretty fun.

Paul

GFLPraxis
Jul 29, 2007, 11:46 AM
thanks guys. i might have to try it out. not sure if it should be the first game that i buy or not though (only game i've bought is Wii Play b/c it comes with a controller)

Hm, I may not recommend it as the first game you buy; it doesn't really take advantage of the Wii that much. It could really be played with an NES controller.

Zelda is really fun, but LONG and no multiplayer. 40+ hours to finish the single player game skipping all side quests. If you like deep adventure games...

Excite Truck is relatively short, but it's a blast. It's an over-the-top racing game, kind of like burnout. You steer using the Wii remote, and can go off ridiculous jumps while boosting and adjusting your pitch and angle by tilting the remote. It's ridiculous, and it's fun.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rny3xbuoMpo

Rayman: Raving Rabbids is something of a comedy game. It's a collection of shorter games (sort of like Wii Sports or Wii Play), but it's got around 70 of them, and it's about evil retarded bunnies that want to take over the world. Really funny. Great for multiplayer with friends, as they'll laugh like nuts at it.

twoodcc
Jul 29, 2007, 01:24 PM
I liked it (Super Paper Mario) fine. There's a few extra challenges to do after you've beaten it...kind of hard too. A little too much talking for me though. It's funny dialogue, but I was wanting to move a bit quicker through things. If you relax and move through it slowly discovering all the hidden characters and what not it's pretty fun.

Paul

thanks, it seems interesting. i watched the video review and it seemed pretty cool (gamespot)

Hm, I may not recommend it as the first game you buy; it doesn't really take advantage of the Wii that much. It could really be played with an NES controller.

Zelda is really fun, but LONG and no multiplayer. 40+ hours to finish the single player game skipping all side quests. If you like deep adventure games...

Excite Truck is relatively short, but it's a blast. It's an over-the-top racing game, kind of like burnout. You steer using the Wii remote, and can go off ridiculous jumps while boosting and adjusting your pitch and angle by tilting the remote. It's ridiculous, and it's fun.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rny3xbuoMpo

Rayman: Raving Rabbids is something of a comedy game. It's a collection of shorter games (sort of like Wii Sports or Wii Play), but it's got around 70 of them, and it's about evil retarded bunnies that want to take over the world. Really funny. Great for multiplayer with friends, as they'll laugh like nuts at it.

thanks. yeah, it seems everybody likes excite truck, and i like trucks (i drive one), so i might get that one. i'll check out Rayman too, b/c it seems interesting based of what you described

MacTCP
Aug 1, 2007, 12:47 AM
I have a Wii. The games I have are Wii Sports, Elebits, Super Paper Mario, and Cooking Mama: Cook Off.

progx
Aug 6, 2007, 10:34 PM
Got a Wii and playing Super Mario Strikers till my eyes bleed. Then warming up with WiiSports. Haha.

Fun stuff, let me tell you. The Wii is a real innovation for games, they're not boring anymore!

steamboat26
Aug 7, 2007, 07:44 PM
I can't wait for Madden '08 on the wii. Although given the great reviews that Mario Strikers has been getting, it might be a tough decision between the two...

progx
Aug 7, 2007, 08:01 PM
I can't wait for Madden '08 on the wii. Although given the great reviews that Mario Strikers has been getting, it might be a tough decision between the two...

Between those two titles, yes, it is a tough decision. Mario Strikers is great and I'm throughly enjoying it.

2nyRiggz
Aug 9, 2007, 06:36 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread but I think this is so true....I love the Metriod series but I think the Big N is not really checking for the title anymore...Read on....I agree with this article.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/811/811682p1.html

Bless

giganten
Aug 10, 2007, 12:18 PM
Anyone now when they will release Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure? The game is looking cool, love the art stile.

plinkoman
Aug 10, 2007, 12:35 PM
Anyone now when they will release Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure? The game is looking cool, love the art stile.

October 16th

http://wii.ign.com/index/release.html

phanboyjohn
Aug 15, 2007, 09:51 AM
I hate to be a lamer, but am I the only person that loves the fact that a game character is called "Wiki"? Imagine the scenarios:

Wiki is the ultimate team player, who only gains in power as people utilize his powers
Wiki can be corrupted by a small group of power players who exploit his teamwork to evil ends

...imagine the possibilities...

zero2dash
Aug 15, 2007, 10:09 AM
I didn't want to start a new thread but I think this is so true....I love the Metriod series but I think the Big N is not really checking for the title anymore...Read on....I agree with this article.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/811/811682p1.html

Bless

I agree as well, and [hate to open another can of worms, but] Nintendo is horrible at marketing their upcoming games. Seems like they only advertise a couple, and they usually don't do a good job at picking which ones to advertise; ie they choose ones that will undoubtedly sell less to advertise than ones that would sell better.

Case in point - Mario Party 8. We've all seen ads for MP8. Hell, truthfully, we've all seen a million ads for MP8 because we've seen ads for MP1, MP2, MP3, MP4 etc. etc. And I would bet that MP3: Corruption sells more copies than MP8 does when all's said and done, but which game did they choose to advertise? MP8. Why? If they advertised MP3:C, it would sell even better than it will without advertising. Yet they advertise the weaker of the two, for no conceivable reason whatsoever other than "they're stupid". (Sorry.) :rolleyes:

Nintendo is fabulous at making games, but often poor at everything else. Man I remember as a kid that it seemed like 2 out of 3 commercials were for Nintendo or Super Nintendo games...what gives these days? Granted though, I can't fault them too much because I see more Wii commercials than Ps3 commercials, so Sony's doing an even worse job at advertising their product. (Meanwhile the 360 advertising department is kicking @$$ and taking names.) Stuff like this, it's elementary school smarts...not rocket science. The most glaring problem (shown by that article) is that the Metroid website doesn't even have anything to really showcase MP3:C, they're still talking about MP:Hunters...WTF? Someone contact Nintendo HQ and tell them to update that website, stat! :p

Dagless
Aug 15, 2007, 11:20 AM
The only adverts you see here are film licensed games and Wii/DS adverts on Channel 4. The DS sponsors a lot of Channel 4 'adult' comedies. Or they did (remembers back to the one about the ¨it's not your kid¨ ad). ¨this is living¨ only seems to crop up at cinemas and the 360 adverts have pretty much vanished.

iPowers
Aug 25, 2007, 01:00 PM
Yeah i'm curious about that too.

and does anyone like Super Mario Strikers Charged? It came out reciently and I am wondering whether I should get it or not.