Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shotgun OS

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2006
Ohio
is Super Paper Mario any good? (and why is it called paper?)

It's alright. Not a game you can get deep into, though. Play it for about an hour and it will get boring, but in small doses its good. It's called Paper because all of the graphics appear as if they are drawn, or cardboard cutouts. When to flip into 3D mode, most of the environment is flat.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
is Super Paper Mario any good? (and why is it called paper?)

It's pretty good. Very humorous, and fun.

The Paper comes from the fact that it has a very distinctive art style where the entire world is 2D, with the characters being like sheets of paper. Mario gains the ability to move into the third dimension, while the stage and characters remain 2D and paper-thin, resulting in some interesting puzzles.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
It's alright. Not a game you can get deep into, though. Play it for about an hour and it will get boring, but in small doses its good. It's called Paper because all of the graphics appear as if they are drawn, or cardboard cutouts. When to flip into 3D mode, most of the environment is flat.

It's pretty good. Very humorous, and fun.

The Paper comes from the fact that it has a very distinctive art style where the entire world is 2D, with the characters being like sheets of paper. Mario gains the ability to move into the third dimension, while the stage and characters remain 2D and paper-thin, resulting in some interesting puzzles.

thanks guys. i might have to try it out. not sure if it should be the first game that i buy or not though (only game i've bought is Wii Play b/c it comes with a controller)

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I liked it (Super Paper Mario) fine. There's a few extra challenges to do after you've beaten it...kind of hard too. A little too much talking for me though. It's funny dialogue, but I was wanting to move a bit quicker through things. If you relax and move through it slowly discovering all the hidden characters and what not it's pretty fun.

Paul

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
thanks guys. i might have to try it out. not sure if it should be the first game that i buy or not though (only game i've bought is Wii Play b/c it comes with a controller)

Hm, I may not recommend it as the first game you buy; it doesn't really take advantage of the Wii that much. It could really be played with an NES controller.

Zelda is really fun, but LONG and no multiplayer. 40+ hours to finish the single player game skipping all side quests. If you like deep adventure games...

Excite Truck is relatively short, but it's a blast. It's an over-the-top racing game, kind of like burnout. You steer using the Wii remote, and can go off ridiculous jumps while boosting and adjusting your pitch and angle by tilting the remote. It's ridiculous, and it's fun.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rny3xbuoMpo

Rayman: Raving Rabbids is something of a comedy game. It's a collection of shorter games (sort of like Wii Sports or Wii Play), but it's got around 70 of them, and it's about evil retarded bunnies that want to take over the world. Really funny. Great for multiplayer with friends, as they'll laugh like nuts at it.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I liked it (Super Paper Mario) fine. There's a few extra challenges to do after you've beaten it...kind of hard too. A little too much talking for me though. It's funny dialogue, but I was wanting to move a bit quicker through things. If you relax and move through it slowly discovering all the hidden characters and what not it's pretty fun.

Paul

thanks, it seems interesting. i watched the video review and it seemed pretty cool (gamespot)

Hm, I may not recommend it as the first game you buy; it doesn't really take advantage of the Wii that much. It could really be played with an NES controller.

Zelda is really fun, but LONG and no multiplayer. 40+ hours to finish the single player game skipping all side quests. If you like deep adventure games...

Excite Truck is relatively short, but it's a blast. It's an over-the-top racing game, kind of like burnout. You steer using the Wii remote, and can go off ridiculous jumps while boosting and adjusting your pitch and angle by tilting the remote. It's ridiculous, and it's fun.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rny3xbuoMpo

Rayman: Raving Rabbids is something of a comedy game. It's a collection of shorter games (sort of like Wii Sports or Wii Play), but it's got around 70 of them, and it's about evil retarded bunnies that want to take over the world. Really funny. Great for multiplayer with friends, as they'll laugh like nuts at it.

thanks. yeah, it seems everybody likes excite truck, and i like trucks (i drive one), so i might get that one. i'll check out Rayman too, b/c it seems interesting based of what you described

MacTCP

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2007
I have a Wii. The games I have are Wii Sports, Elebits, Super Paper Mario, and Cooking Mama: Cook Off.

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
Got a Wii and playing Super Mario Strikers till my eyes bleed. Then warming up with WiiSports. Haha.

Fun stuff, let me tell you. The Wii is a real innovation for games, they're not boring anymore!

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
I can't wait for Madden '08 on the wii. Although given the great reviews that Mario Strikers has been getting, it might be a tough decision between the two...

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
I can't wait for Madden '08 on the wii. Although given the great reviews that Mario Strikers has been getting, it might be a tough decision between the two...

Between those two titles, yes, it is a tough decision. Mario Strikers is great and I'm throughly enjoying it.

giganten

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2006
Anyone now when they will release Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure? The game is looking cool, love the art stile.

phanboyjohn

macrumors member
May 18, 2007
I hate to be a lamer, but am I the only person that loves the fact that a game character is called "Wiki"? Imagine the scenarios:

Wiki is the ultimate team player, who only gains in power as people utilize his powers
Wiki can be corrupted by a small group of power players who exploit his teamwork to evil ends

...imagine the possibilities...

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
I didn't want to start a new thread but I think this is so true....I love the Metriod series but I think the Big N is not really checking for the title anymore...Read on....I agree with this article.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/811/811682p1.html

Bless

I agree as well, and [hate to open another can of worms, but] Nintendo is horrible at marketing their upcoming games. Seems like they only advertise a couple, and they usually don't do a good job at picking which ones to advertise; ie they choose ones that will undoubtedly sell less to advertise than ones that would sell better.

Case in point - Mario Party 8. We've all seen ads for MP8. Hell, truthfully, we've all seen a million ads for MP8 because we've seen ads for MP1, MP2, MP3, MP4 etc. etc. And I would bet that MP3: Corruption sells more copies than MP8 does when all's said and done, but which game did they choose to advertise? MP8. Why? If they advertised MP3:C, it would sell even better than it will without advertising. Yet they advertise the weaker of the two, for no conceivable reason whatsoever other than "they're stupid". (Sorry.) :rolleyes:

Nintendo is fabulous at making games, but often poor at everything else. Man I remember as a kid that it seemed like 2 out of 3 commercials were for Nintendo or Super Nintendo games...what gives these days? Granted though, I can't fault them too much because I see more Wii commercials than Ps3 commercials, so Sony's doing an even worse job at advertising their product. (Meanwhile the 360 advertising department is kicking @$$ and taking names.) Stuff like this, it's elementary school smarts...not rocket science. The most glaring problem (shown by that article) is that the Metroid website doesn't even have anything to really showcase MP3:C, they're still talking about MP:Hunters...WTF? Someone contact Nintendo HQ and tell them to update that website, stat! :p

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The only adverts you see here are film licensed games and Wii/DS adverts on Channel 4. The DS sponsors a lot of Channel 4 'adult' comedies. Or they did (remembers back to the one about the ¨it's not your kid¨ ad). ¨this is living¨ only seems to crop up at cinemas and the 360 adverts have pretty much vanished.

iPowers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2006
Arizona
Yeah i'm curious about that too.

and does anyone like Super Mario Strikers Charged? It came out reciently and I am wondering whether I should get it or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.