PDA

View Full Version : new iMac G5 mock-up

vitruvius
Jul 15, 2003, 01:06 PM
this one is for the "headless" imac fans :D

ddtlm
Jul 15, 2003, 01:19 PM
Hmm, I'm still a fan of the current design. Why does everyone want to replace it?

vitruvius
Jul 15, 2003, 01:32 PM
i also think the current iMac design is awesome, but this design adresses some thoughs about the next generation, how it will dissipate the heat of the new chips, and the need of a headless iMac, to lower the price and since monitors sizes are growing, someday the imac base will not be able to support bigger monitors. anyway this is just for fun :D

augustfall
Jul 15, 2003, 04:42 PM
How much you selling that blender for?

gotohamish
Jul 15, 2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by vitruvius
i also think the current iMac design is awesome, but this design adresses some thoughs about the next generation, how it will dissipate the heat of the new chips, and the need of a headless iMac, to lower the price and since monitors sizes are growing, someday the imac base will not be able to support bigger monitors. anyway this is just for fun :D
I think it's incredible. Good work. Go get hired by Apple!

Abstract
Jul 15, 2003, 04:52 PM
So would I just put the monitor on top? :D

Me miss the monitor. :( Without the monitor, its just a "thing". Its not pretty without the monitor.......its just a "thing" with no desirable features, like communism, or Martha Stewart.

CrackedButter
Jul 15, 2003, 05:09 PM
The G5 Powermac is a cheese grater.
This G5 iMac is a blender and i suppose for the ultimate in kitchen wear the PowerBook is going to be a chopping board!

visor
Jul 15, 2003, 05:23 PM
looks like an oversized ashtray, or trashcan without the input hole...

LimeLite
Jul 15, 2003, 05:24 PM
It looks *A LOT* like the second part of the TAM (Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh). Does anyone else agree?

Laslo Panaflex
Jul 15, 2003, 05:30 PM
Whats the point of this, I thought that the whole point of the iMac was that it was a complete system. This headless mockup is just a mockup of Powermac G5 in another case.

\\

Peas.

vitruvius
Jul 15, 2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by LimeLite
It looks *A LOT* like the second part of the TAM (Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh). Does anyone else agree?

yes, i realize that after render it, i guess that image was in my subconscious :rolleyes:

vitruvius
Jul 15, 2003, 05:55 PM
for those of you that miss the monitor....:D

hvfsl
Jul 15, 2003, 06:07 PM
How long does it take you to make models like that, I had to model a room with a tank crashing through a wall for some coursework and it took me about 20hours.

This is my idea for a new Apple phone (iPhone?). I know its not very good but I got bored after 5minutes.

Sun Baked
Jul 15, 2003, 06:18 PM
Looks like one of those HEPA air cleaners. :p

At least if somebody does a headless version of the current iMac, it would be long before the Disney version is released with Mickey Mouse speaker ears.

Or a Goofy Mac that spits out the CD/DVDs through Goofy's mouth.

vitruvius
Jul 15, 2003, 06:40 PM
hey hvfsl, thats a nice model, maybe the buttons are too "analog" for a hi-tech phone...:)

the first model take me about 6 hours to model and 1 hour to render using radiosity and HDRI (by the way if someone knows where can i find nice and free HQ HDRI maps, please let me know), the blender one took me about 10 minutes to model and 25 sec. to render ( without radiosity of course)

Tommy!
Jul 15, 2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by gotohamish
I think it's incredible. Good work. Go get hired by Apple!
I agree. I wouldn't dub it the iMac, but I think it's a really good design for that stand-alone inexpensive computer everyone seems to want. Maybe with a G4 in it at 1.2 GHz or so? The handle looks really convienient... Nice!

rainman::|:|
Jul 15, 2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by Tommy!
I agree. I wouldn't dub it the iMac, but I think it's a really good design for that stand-alone inexpensive computer everyone seems to want. Maybe with a G4 in it at 1.2 GHz or so? The handle looks really convienient... Nice!

Yeah, it's a nice design and all, but it's NOT an iMac... an iMac by definition is an all-in-one system that is internet capable, thusfar only having two necessary cables for basic internet functions. A headless iMac, therefore, is not an iMac at all.

Like i said, it's still a nice design. It will beinteresting to see whether the next iMac will be metal or white... Tho I think it's about 1.5-2 years away...

pnw

medea
Jul 15, 2003, 07:48 PM
uh the first on looks like an elongated version of those smokeless ashtrays.....
lets just hope that design never see's the light of day.