PDA

View Full Version : AT&T Sold Out of iPhones

MacRumors
Jun 30, 2007, 08:46 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

It appears that most of AT&T's 1800 retail stores sold out (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19525360/) of iPhones within hours of going on sale.
“Virtually all of our stores sold out of the iPhone last night,” AT&T spokesman Mark Siegel said, declining to specify how many units had been sold.
According to anecdotal reports on the forums, some AT&T stores received as few as 20 units for sale, while others claimed in excess of 100.

None of the Apple stores appear sold out, but they reportedly had significant more stock than the AT&T stores.

Frisco
Jun 30, 2007, 08:49 PM
Get them while you still can. iPhones are hot! I am predicting $750,000 sold over the weekend.

BigPrince
Jun 30, 2007, 08:49 PM
Mine had 40. The next nearest one 45.

morse
Jun 30, 2007, 08:50 PM
We have two at&t stores in Boise. I waited at one, but they only had 25 units and sold out within minutes. I drove to the other store around 7:00 because I heard they had "over 100". When I got there there was a 15 minute line, and they said "around 25 left" when I got to the register. I'm betting they had a lot more than a 100 when they opened.

Blue Velvet
Jun 30, 2007, 08:50 PM
Stoking the appetite and then forcing most new Apple customers to enter an Apple store or dealer and walk past all those new Macs and iPods? Because there are weeks to wait online for an order... Not that I'm cynical or anything. :)

inkswamp
Jun 30, 2007, 08:51 PM
I don't want to sound cynical but it's hard not to think that this was planned. If you short one outlet (AT&T stores) then you get the ongoing hype of "OMFG, the iPhone sold out" while there are still plenty quietly on hand at Apple stores everywhere. And then there's that odd 2-4 week delivery time on the Apple site. Hmmm... something doesn't add up and I'm sure Apple and AT&T's marketing people know why. :rolleyes:

MrCrowbar
Jun 30, 2007, 08:54 PM
Stoking the appetite and then forcing most new Apple customers to enter an Apple store or dealer and walk past all those new Macs and iPods? Because there are weeks to wait online for an order... Not that I'm cynical or anything. :)

New Macs and iPods? The iMacs, Mac Minis and iPods haven't been updated in a while. LOL

floatingspirit
Jun 30, 2007, 08:57 PM
I just came from Manhattan Beach, CA and that store was sold out! I said "Wow!" (playing innocent) "Do you know how many you sold yesterday?" Manager-type "Yes I do" Both laugh:) End of conversation.

She said she didn't know exactly when to expect more, but intimated they would come in the next couple/few days.

I also walked into the nearest ATT store and all I said was "Hi, do you have any more?" Employee laughing, "Nope, sorry."

And so it's 2-4 weeks for me. Woulda got one yesterday, but the local ATT was only selling them bundled with accessories (call me peeved!). Too much moola for me... However, Domino's was passing out free pizza, so I still made out! :cool:

Number41
That's because they are all on eBay. Go to ebay and type it in. You'll find more iPhones then the Apple Store in New York or any other Apple store. In fact I would take a guess that 50% of the AT&T iphone sales are on eBay.

Its ridiculous. My bet is on Monday a lot of returns will happen.

biturbomunkie
it makes sense since it would bring more traffic to apple stores.

donlphi
Jun 30, 2007, 08:58 PM
Just won enough money in Vegas to buy an iPHONE, but they were sold out today, so YEAH... they sold out in SOME stores.
:mad:

Whoever is reporting Apple store iPHONE inventory is looking at some fabricated information or they are looking at yesterday morning's information.

dartzorichalcos
Jun 30, 2007, 08:58 PM
No surprise to me. The iPhone was sold off the shelves quickly and is very popular.

sonicboom
Jun 30, 2007, 09:00 PM
Get them while you still can. iPhones are hot! I am predicting $750,000 sold over the weekend.

$750,000 worth is too low.

750,000 units is way too high.

My local ATT store sold out (had < 50), but the Apple Store has plenty (on day two).

I could have bought one today (no line), had it in hand, but then decided not to due to the 10% restocking fee upon return if I found no signal reception in my house.

sonicboom
Jun 30, 2007, 09:02 PM
I don't want to sound cynical but it's hard not to think that this was planned. If you short one outlet (AT&T stores) then you get the ongoing hype of "OMFG, the iPhone sold out" while there are still plenty quietly on hand at Apple stores everywhere. And then there's that odd 2-4 week delivery time on the Apple site. Hmmm... something doesn't add up and I'm sure Apple and AT&T's marketing people know why. :rolleyes:

I share the same theory.

Question is... will it work? Time will tell.

mkrishnan
Jun 30, 2007, 09:06 PM
I share the same theory.

Well, it does appear that AT&T stores even in urban areas are sold out, but with almost 2000 AT&T stores vs. Apple's much smaller chain, they service very different populations and catchment areas.

Besides which... I can't see the Apple execs too thrilled about sending their customers into cell phone stores. Right up there with being inside JCPenney in terms of lack of taste. :(

lu0s3r322
Jun 30, 2007, 09:07 PM
there are apple stores sold out:

Topanga
Bay Street
Burlingame
Corte Madera
The Pier
Penn Square
Glendale Galleria
Irvine Spectrum Center
Century City
Beverly Center
Manhattan Village
Palo Alto
Stanford Shopping Center
Pasadena
San Francisco
Stonestown
Sherman Oaks
Walnut Creek
The Falls
Ala Moana
Fashion Show
The Domain
Willow Bend
Southlake Town Square

Fearless Leader
Jun 30, 2007, 09:07 PM
hmm. well this is just great. I live 5 hours away from the nearest apple store, and 5 min away from the nearest AT&T. Apple could have released a few more to the AT&T stores.

though, I was bummed at first because all we have is "cingular" stores, and an Actual AT&T store. Well the day of I just got out of a movie and saw them hanging plastic banners over the Cingular signs. Every single Cingular store did that. It was kinda pathetic.

Le Big Mac
Jun 30, 2007, 09:09 PM
I share the same theory.

Of course, AT&T probably doesn't need them as much as with a typical phone. Even if you buy at an Apple store, you still activate with AT&T. So it's not like they can do much selling--the stores are selling plans, and throw in a phone in most cases; here it's the other way around.

Cybergypsy
Jun 30, 2007, 09:11 PM
Mine had 30, i was18 but people cut in line.......

henjin
Jun 30, 2007, 09:13 PM
Just won enough money in Vegas to buy an iPHONE, but they were sold out today, so YEAH... they sold out in SOME stores.

Whoever is reporting Apple store iPHONE inventory is looking at some fabricated information or they are looking at yesterday morning's information.

I agree go to:
http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/

Check out NYC it's all green. Las Vegas Fashion week red, two shops in SF red but plenty of places to drive to and buy. Seems like people loved to look but for the hefty price it really was not an impulse buy. So silly to over-hype this already out of date cell. No hands free operation for those iPhone mums taking their kids to school?

It's just bling. It's best feature is the browser but that needs Verizon.

Peter

DakotaGuy
Jun 30, 2007, 09:15 PM
Besides which... I can't see the Apple execs too thrilled about sending their customers into cell phone stores.

Honestly I don't think Apple execs give a darn where customers are spending money as long as all that money is coming back to Cupertino.;)

slackpacker
Jun 30, 2007, 09:17 PM

There are 1800 AT&T stores .... there are 161 US based Apple stores... its simple stock logic. They had to divide up AT&T's allotment of iPhones between all of their stores.

mkrishnan
Jun 30, 2007, 09:18 PM
Honestly I don't think Apple execs give a darn where customers are spending money as long as all that money is coming back to Cupertino.;)

I do see your point. Money is money. But, I think the amount of effort they put into their store experience, and the (accurate) rhetoric from Jobs about how bad shopping experiences elsewhere are, suggest otherwise...

katanna
Jun 30, 2007, 09:21 PM
According to my boss, our AT&T store didn't run out until Saturday morning...

Matthew

min_t
Jun 30, 2007, 09:22 PM
I know the AT&T store I went too sold out (San Jose, CA). They had 60-80. I think the Valley Fair :apple: store had some left. There was like 400 people in that line so I passed. Would've been nice to talk to "Woz" man himself, though.:rolleyes:

slackpacker
Jun 30, 2007, 09:26 PM
Seems like people loved to look but for the hefty price it really was not an impulse buy. So silly to over-hype this already out of date cell. No hands free operation for those iPhone mums taking their kids to school?

Peter

First of all Verizon sucks - I gave up Verizon because I could never get a signal where I live. You can keep your opinions to yourself though

eazyway
Jun 30, 2007, 09:26 PM
25 Stores indicated that they are now out of iPhones.

CJK
Jun 30, 2007, 09:27 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)
None of the Apple stores appear sold out, but they reportedly had significant more stock than the AT&T stores.

Incorrect -- check the Apple Store iPhone availability tool: quite a few stores are sold out, though the vast majority still seem to have them in stock.

CHROMEDOME
Jun 30, 2007, 09:29 PM
If all the ATT stores got 30 iPhones that would be 54,000. If all 161 apple stores got 400 iPhones it would be just over 64,000. Does anyone have any numbers on how many the apple stores got?

lu0s3r322
Jun 30, 2007, 09:34 PM
it's 185 stores i thought

Paul Turpin
Jun 30, 2007, 09:38 PM
My town has no Apple store - I took the afternoon off and went there at 3pm. There was a line of about 30 people. I figured that they would have about 80 phones - so instead of standing outside for three hours, I went to get online at the coffeeshop across the parking lot. This turns out to have been risky - since my store actually only got 40 iPhones! However - it was also an excellent idea because for the next two hours, it rained quite hard and was windy and cold. When the inclement weather subsided - I got in line at 5pm and there were still only 35 people in line. So I got a phone - but could only buy a 4gb model. I was actually glad to save the $100. Hopefully I won't regret it too much.

However - what I already regret is the activation foul ups! It is now 24 hours later - and I am not activated yet. I am activated according to my AT&T cellular account page - but not according to iTunes. I'm told that within 24 hours of my successful plan change it will be activated. Still waiting..........

arn
Jun 30, 2007, 09:39 PM
updated the story to reflect the apple store sold-out status.

arn

CoreWeb
Jun 30, 2007, 09:40 PM
If all the ATT stores got 30 iPhones that would be 54,000. If all 161 apple stores got 400 iPhones it would be just over 64,000. Does anyone have any numbers on how many the apple stores got?

The AT&T store near us probably had about 100, or even more. Though that is just a guess. But the guy had a big stack of "tickets", and there were plenty left after 50 people had already got one.

inkswamp
Jun 30, 2007, 09:41 PM
There are 1800 AT&T stores .... there are 161 US based Apple stores... its simple stock logic. They had to divide up AT&T's allotment of iPhones between all of their stores.

True, but it doesn't rule out my theory. It just raises the question of why Apple didn't give more to AT&T to divvy up between their stores. If you were planning it in a way that you wanted to maximize availability to everyone, it would have made more sense to send more to AT&T's store and fewer to Apple's own. But it doesn't appear to have been done that way which suggests there might have been a reason for doing so.

I'm not trying to be the typical Apple conspiracy theorist, but I sort of tend to think Apple and AT&T's marketing people understand the PR value that comes with tech gadgets selling out and it's very likely they took that into consideration when planning these things.

Paul Turpin
Jun 30, 2007, 09:43 PM
Oh - I forget to say....

I found it interesting that of the 40 units my AT&T store carried, 30 of them were 8gb and only 10 were 4gb. Also - NO ONE bought a 4GB until the 8GB models were sold out. I thought at least one person would save the $100 - nope.

bigandtasty
Jun 30, 2007, 09:46 PM
We have two at&t stores in Boise. I waited at one, but they only had 25 units and sold out within minutes. I drove to the other store around 7:00 because I heard they had "over 100". When I got there there was a 15 minute line, and they said "around 25 left" when I got to the register. I'm betting they had a lot more than a 100 when they opened.

I am in Boise and went to the Milwaukee store at about noon and was 22nd in line. When I got into the store and up to the cash register I asked and they said they got just over 100 phones at that location.. Bummer there were so few at Broadway, especially with Boise not having an Apple store (Apple are you listening) here.

aLoC
Jun 30, 2007, 09:47 PM
It's interesting that most of Apple's stores are not sold out. I thought this whole thing might be a bit over-hyped.

The iPod was a gradual success, and Mac is gradually growing. I'm not sure Apple products have instant success because they require people to Think Different and that takes time to happen.

minik
Jun 30, 2007, 09:49 PM
Around 1:30pm yesterday at the Bellevue Square, a couple AT&T employees tried to 'steal' iPhone buyers from the Apple Store line. The rep told us AT&T received the same amount of units as the Apple Store did.

Pretty much Apple Store employees kept their lips sealed, but AT&T wasn't.

Abbi
Jun 30, 2007, 09:50 PM
I just checked with more than 50 stores by calling them up. Both models are sold out as of 744pm Pacific. You'll see the red dots later tonight, believe me!

According to 1 source that I talked to, each store recvd 1 UPS shipment of 580 phones, followed by 3 or 4 pallets delivered via Fedex, with the flagship stores receiving more than the smaller (Mini) stores. My prediction is that Apple will have sold more than 300,000 phones within 24 hours.

Abbi Vakil

Abbi
Jun 30, 2007, 09:54 PM
According to Macrumors, the online checker only reveals 24/164 Apple stores are sold out. Believe me, it doesn't take into account West Coast inventory. Check back after 9p Pacific...

tvinay4u
I just checked with more than 50 stores by calling them up. Both models are sold out as of 744pm Pacific. You'll see the red dots later tonight, believe me!

According to 1 source that I talked to, each store recvd 1 UPS shipment of 580 phones, followed by 3 or 4 pallets delivered via Fedex, with the flagship stores receiving more than the smaller (Mini) stores. My prediction is that Apple will have sold more than 300,000 phones within 24 hours.

Abbi Vakil

Some hows the apple store shows green dots in NT store now.. Dint check other stores though..

CoreWeb
It's interesting that most of Apple's stores are not sold out. I thought this whole thing might be a bit over-hyped.

The iPod was a gradual success, and Mac is gradually growing. I'm not sure Apple products have instant success because they require people to Think Different and that takes time to happen.

I think that the Apple stores didn't sell out the first night because Apple wanted to flood the market. However, tonight, it appears most stores may indeed have sold out. Though the one in my city is still in stock and had a line of over 1000 people. The other one in my state, however, has sold out.

I stood in line with a friend for an hour and a half (from 5:10-6:40) at an AT&T and we bought two iPhones. Neither one, unfortunately, is mine. (One is the friend's, the other is a gift for another friend.)

Both friends have let me use theirs extensively, though, and I love them! Unfortunately, when I get a cell phone (yes, I don't yet even have one, but I will be getting one pretty soon), I'll be getting a RAZR, most likely.

kalisphoenix
Jun 30, 2007, 09:57 PM
Damn. The wife and I drifted over to buy one today, but the store had closed a half-hour earlier. Guess it wouldn't have made much difference, if they all sold out.

And I know we won't be going into Cleveland tomorrow morning to pick one up there :mad:

k2director
Jun 30, 2007, 10:15 PM
19 hours and counting, and I'm still waiting for my activation, AT&T!

What a bunch of bumbling chimps...

blindzero
Jun 30, 2007, 10:20 PM
For those that couldn't get one and don't have an Apple store around...AT&T is offering "direct fulfillment" which basically means it will be mailed to your house. I was quoted as early as a few days and it would arrive "significantly faster" than if I waited to buy at the AT & T store itself.

Worth checking. I still think the Apple Store is 2-4 weeks to ward off people attacking the site...I think it'll get to you faster but what do I know...

I got one last night at Montgomery Mall in Maryland and very happy with the purchase.

NYmacAttack
Jun 30, 2007, 10:22 PM
Judging by eBay looks like more people bought them to resell than to actually activate. WHo would pay more than the already high price for a phone. :confused:

scottij
Jun 30, 2007, 10:23 PM
Like most people, my AT&T store sold out of phones -- they had about 45. I ordered one, which they said would be fulfilled from the AT&T warehouse, but the online status for my order says the phone is "backordered".

Did anyone else who ordered through AT&T get their order filled yet, or have it say anything besides back-ordered?

dogbone
Jun 30, 2007, 10:26 PM
I think a lot of ebay touts have overestimated how stupid people are.

edit, the one for 659 was an 8gig model. So that's one lot of ebays fees off the 10% profit already and it's yet to sell.

bennifer3000
Jun 30, 2007, 10:26 PM
I ordered another one through AT+T at the store, inwhich they said that it would be shipped w/ overnight and arrive shortly. The order was processed and confirmed (not shipped though) on Friday.

So will this effect this order in anyway?

mainomega
Jun 30, 2007, 10:29 PM
Judging by eBay looks like more people bought them to resell than to actually activate. WHo would pay more than the already high price for a phone. :confused:

With tax mine came out to $652. Most on ebay are going for $630-670 (free shipping). I would def. buy it from ebay if I hadn't gotten one. I wouldn't want to wait 2 weeks and even at 670 it would only be an extra 20.

EDIT : dogbone, even at $659 that seller LOST money

Billy Boo Bob
Jun 30, 2007, 10:32 PM
So silly to over-hype this already out of date cell. No hands free operation for those iPhone mums taking their kids to school?

Features available post activation via Customer Care or OLAM:

Early N&W
Roadside assistance
International data (new feature being created)
International calling (AT&T WorldConnect)
Voice Dial
iPhone Data Plan with 1500 or Unlimited M2M SMS
Answer Tones

JGowan
Jun 30, 2007, 10:32 PM
Get them while you still can. iPhones are hot! I am predicting $750,000 sold over the weekend.That's a very low number.

Basically, you're saying Apple/AT&T sold 375 4GB models ($187,500) and 938 8GB models ($562,800) if what I've read is true that the 8GB models outnumbering the smaller one 4-to-1.

1,313 iPhones by your number. Wow. How did you get this number?

Also, if what I hear is true (that there was 400,000 iPhones available at launch) then a total sell-out (at 4/1 iphones of the bigger variety), then the number is quite unbelievable...

300,000 iPhones @ $600 = $180,000,000
100,000 iPhones @ $500 = $50,000,000
-------------------------------------------------
$230,000,000

Almost a quarter of a Billion dollars if they sell all!

Another plug nickel: No matter how big the lines were at Apple or AT&T, God only knows how many phones were sold from Apple.com so far... well God and perhaps Steve Jobs.

mashinhead
Jun 30, 2007, 10:34 PM
anyone else having an issue with the apple online search tool, cos that there isn't working for little ol' me. Link works. but store list is MIA.

kcroy
Jun 30, 2007, 10:41 PM
ATT in Sandusky Ohio had 20 phones total. Ten 8G and Ten 4G.

I was No. 13 and settled for one 4G for my wife. Ordered an 8G from the store. Do you think I might get it sooner since I ordered it just a little past 6:00 on Friday, or does that matter?

dogbone
Jun 30, 2007, 10:41 PM
EDIT : dogbone, even at $659 that seller LOST money

Now I'm sad. Let's have a whip 'round

chairmaneli
Jun 30, 2007, 10:46 PM
First, I think it's pretty clear that Apple and AT&T set up a deliberate choke point on the calendar to create a rush that would captivate the news all day Friday.

That completed, they're now into the second phase, where the make sure to keep the channels full of product, but just barely enough to keep up, so as to maintain the excitement for as long as possible. Toy manufacturers do the same thing around Christmas every year.

Expect Apple stores to move a bunch more iPods, Shuffles, accessories, software, and even laptops and computers in stores where there is a temporary shortage. Bringing folks into the store works.

Apple stores in Hawaii (where I got mine a few hours ago) were receiving multiple shipments of product throughout the day. I actually bought a unit that had just made it to the store as I was walking up. Lots of folks in the store checking out the phone, many impressed looks were in evidence.

Now all I have to do is activate it. :)

Panu
Jun 30, 2007, 10:47 PM
It is very disappointing to go to a store and find that they don't have the merchandise you want to buy, but it costs money to stock stores. There are 1,800 AT&T stores and 162 Apple stores. If we assume a 50% markup on the iPhone, it cost over a half million dollars just to put one iPhone in each store. If each store had an average of 20 iPhones, they had to front over $10 million on speculation that the merchandise would move. That's a lot of money.

Apple and AT&T are businesses, not philanthropic charities, so they have to estimate the demand, figure how much money they can spend on a product launch, the risk of demand not being high enough on the first day, the willingness of the bank to accept their sales projections, the capacity of the manufacturers, the reality of overseas shipping, the capacity of the shipping companies to deliver the merchandise, the capacity of the stores to stock the merchandise, and how many boxes the employees could receive and unpack in the available time.

There was a company that had unprecendented demand for their first computer. They rushed it to market, and as a result, the first run had a lot of quality problems. That earned the computer the nickname "Trash 80" and they never overcame that initial impression.

Apple would rather face a small shortage than destroy its corporate image and lose its customers. So I think they did a good job of balancing all the factors.

Now that they have sold all those iPhones, they have the money for the next batch.

3D-Troll
Jun 30, 2007, 10:49 PM
I went to check out the Appple store at Twelve Oaks Mall (Novi, MI) at 8pm and you were able to pick up an iPhone w/o standing in line. I feel sorry for all the people who camped out.

Steffen

iBookG4user
Jun 30, 2007, 10:50 PM
I hope that they will be in stock when I go to get the iPhone on this coming Saturday. The nearest Apple Store is over an hour and a half away :(.

AppleIntelRock
Jun 30, 2007, 10:54 PM
My local ATT store sold at of 90 phones on launch, and 10 minutes after open today (the day after launch) they got another 10 phones- which were sold out within 30 minutes. I bought an iPhone car-charger today about 10 people were ordering them through att and getting them shipped to there house. honestly, I think a lot of people are thinking "iphone" and going to a cell-phone store to buy one.

DrEwe
Jun 30, 2007, 11:15 PM
I was at the Apple store in Bellevue this afternoon and they had a ton left - hardly any line either. I heard a sales person say that they had gotten a new delivery today, which seems a bit weird (maybe they have a central stash in the Seattle area and distributed according to Friday demand..)

MichaelLatta
Jun 30, 2007, 11:21 PM
It is very disappointing to go to a store and find that they don't have the merchandise you want to buy, but it costs money to stock stores. There are 1,800 AT&T stores and 162 Apple stores. If we assume a 50% markup on the iPhone, it cost over a half million dollars just to put one iPhone in each store. If each store had an average of 20 iPhones, they had to front over $10 million on speculation that the merchandise would move. That's a lot of money.

Apple and AT&T are businesses, not philanthropic charities, so they have to estimate the demand, figure how much money they can spend on a product launch, the risk of demand not being high enough on the first day, the willingness of the bank to accept their sales projections, the capacity of the manufacturers, the reality of overseas shipping, the capacity of the shipping companies to deliver the merchandise, the capacity of the stores to stock the merchandise, and how many boxes the employees could receive and unpack in the available time.

There was a company that had unprecendented demand for their first computer. They rushed it to market, and as a result, the first run had a lot of quality problems. That earned the computer the nickname "Trash 80" and they never overcame that initial impression.

Apple would rather face a small shortage than destroy its corporate image and lose its customers. So I think they did a good job of balancing all the factors.

Now that they have sold all those iPhones, they have the money for the next batch.

I have no problem with them having limited supply and distributing that how they think appropriate. The problem I have is with AT&T refusing to discuss what their inventory levels are on opening night. I waited 3 hours only to find out that they had 2 times as many people waiting in line as they had phones WHEN I ARRIVED. And they tried to avoid admitting they were sold out for a good 20min after they ran out of 8GB phones. AT&T wanted the chance to get people to sign up for drop shipped orders, at the expense of customer's time. That is a very bad PR choice. There were 70 more people in line than they had phones. I called the 2 local Apple stores and they would tell you if they sold out, and if it was close to being sold out, and if they had a line. So after my 3 hour wait in line, I drove another 40 minutes to get one last night, and got a second this afternoon. It is a good thing my activations went well, otherwise I would be truly steaming.

Yankees 4 Life
Jun 30, 2007, 11:22 PM
my att store said they got only 45 iphones, and 18 of them were 8gs. i was first in line, so i didnt care, but i was surprised because i live next to the 3rd busiest store in houston...

twoodcc
Jun 30, 2007, 11:27 PM
i'm not surprised. actually i'm surprised that the apple stores still have some available

Romanesq
Jun 30, 2007, 11:29 PM
I agree go to:
http://www.apple.com/retail/iphone/

Check out NYC it's all green. Las Vegas Fashion week red, two shops in SF red but plenty of places to drive to and buy. Seems like people loved to look but for the hefty price it really was not an impulse buy. So silly to over-hype this already out of date cell. No hands free operation for those iPhone mums taking their kids to school?

Peter

You are on some very good medication. I just hope its prescription. The browser needs Verizon like you need a bong hit. Duh. :rolleyes:

Works perfectly great with my bluetooth (Jabra 500). So hands free enough, unless of course you have to light the bong. :o

Romanesq
Jun 30, 2007, 11:35 PM

Abbi Vakil

I think you are on target overall but more like 175,000 with 300,000 by Tuesday. Quote me if you like. :p

Rooskibar03
Jun 30, 2007, 11:38 PM
Looks like the word is out there are still plenty if you look around.

Most of the eBay auctions ending now are struggling to get much past $600. One just closed at $645 with reserve not met.

This isn't going to play out like Wii and PS3 for sure.

Romanesq
Jun 30, 2007, 11:42 PM
Like most people, my AT&T store sold out of phones -- they had about 45. I ordered one, which they said would be fulfilled from the AT&T warehouse, but the online status for my order says the phone is "backordered".

Did anyone else who ordered through AT&T get their order filled yet, or have it say anything besides back-ordered?

At the AT&T in my neighborhood. Had a guy there so when I got in was no. 25 or so but five ahead of me they announced no more 8 GB. They then started asking people if they wanted the 4 GB and I just walked.

And I'm glad I did. I saw from here the weblink to Apple's inventory of stores and this morning drove over to one and had it in my hands by 10:30 EST. AT&T was offering to "overnight" it within seven days if you filled out the order for one. The guy ahead of me was doing that.

People were yelling at the AT&T people who came outside and asking how many were left. As there were about 60 people, it was unlikely they had that many 4 GB ones left when they didn't even have 24 8 GBs.

My guess is that AT&T knew they would be in the crunch and they were going to do at least 100% or more of the business via the mail fulfillment. But I didn't bite and now I'm very glad I didn't.

Oh yeah, I did walk to the store today and buy a leather case. So there you go AT&T. :p

RustyM
Jun 30, 2007, 11:55 PM
Apple store Sacramento (Arden Fair) is all out of the 8GB phones

thjatty
Jul 1, 2007, 12:05 AM
No hassle. Wife and I went to dinner at 5pm, bookstore at 6pm, took my son to movie and stopped by AT&T store at 9pm. No line, no hassle. Asked for 2 8GB iPhones, got them, left at 9:07...

And those folks with no lives waited in line for what???? Probably the same people waiting in line for Star Wars and Harry Potter premieres...

AppleGuy08
Jul 1, 2007, 12:10 AM
Mine had 30, i was18 but people cut in line.......

Well, you still snagged 2 iphones so life cant be too bad.

Oh yah, RUSTYM, do you live in the sacramento area? Im saving up for an iPhone right now. With my next pay check i should have enough to get one! argh

gerbman
Jul 1, 2007, 12:25 AM
This isn't going to play out like Wii and PS3 for sure.

Off course not.. why would I buy someone else's contract and phone number, I've got my own! ebayers are idiots sometimes, especially the bandwagon type.

1st post for me! wohoo long time lurker.

Iphone in december when my over priced verizon contract expires... i pay close to two grand a year for a ****** razor.

mickeymikey
Jul 1, 2007, 12:29 AM
I got in line yesterday morning around 9:45AM, and while it seems that you can walk in and get a phone today (although my local store is showing out of stock), I don't regret my decision to join the line. It was really fun being part of the launch event, hanging out with the other Apple faithful (wow - never seen so many MacBooks), and getting freebies from Apple and other stores in the area.

Was my wait a waste, you might think so, but I really enjoyed the experience.

When's the next one?

cire
Jul 1, 2007, 12:43 AM
Not only did I enjoy my 13 hours in line, I feel that I contributed to the success of the iPhone. A large portion of the stream of people that will be flowing into the ATT stores are driven by the media buzz about the lines and the excitement. Apple couldn't have bought that kind of publicity. I am glad that I was part of that. Without the lines, Verizon and Sprint would be saying... "See, told ya it would fail!"

SheriffParker
Jul 1, 2007, 12:49 AM
Off course not.. why would I buy someone else's contract and phone number, I've got my own! ebayers are idiots sometimes, especially the bandwagon type.

I think you are confused. The iPhone does not have a contract or a phone number until you activate it through itunes. These are unopened, unactivated iPhones on ebay.

inkswamp
Jul 1, 2007, 12:50 AM
And those folks with no lives waited in line for what???? Probably the same people waiting in line for Star Wars and Harry Potter premieres...

I'm sort of disappointed by how hateful some of the comments are toward the people who chose to camp out. Those people weren't necessarily doing it to be first in line. They were doing it for the same reason Grateful Dead fans used to go to GD shows repeatedly--to be part of the hype and joy, to have some fun and be with like-minded people wanting to experience the same. I think that's just fine. I don't get why people dump on those who want to camp out. Big deal. Who are they hurting? I sometimes think people are jealous and would love to be able to be part of that. I don't know. I don't get the judging and condemning going on.

BTW, the Star Wars fans you're alluding to often camp out and link that to charity (i.e., getting people to sponsor them.) These people aren't always just losers who have "no lives."

Tazzy531
Jul 1, 2007, 01:15 AM
Hey guys, wouldn't it be easy to identify the number of phones sold?

Number of Phones sold = Number of Lines Activated
Number of Lines Activated can be inferred by the web order number. If we assumed that these numbers started at 1 and incremented for each activation, we should know the number of activated accounts which would be the number of iPhones sold.

You also need to factor in the orders that were cancelled and reentered due to error in the original activation.

I just got my Order ID. It is 878xxx. Going by this, I would say that around 800K+ iPhones were sold and activated. (Assuming ~50K issues with activation). This would pretty much hit their target for the weekend.

Parky
Jul 1, 2007, 03:10 AM

There ia one problem with your theory - Apple has a cash stockpile of over $10 billion and does not need to borrow money to manufacture / ship / stock the new products.

ladeer
Jul 1, 2007, 03:30 AM

Are you serious? Were you buying an iPhone in Vegas Fashion Show Mall store?

I, like you, tried to gamble my iPhone and lost $600... Then I still couldn't resist the temptation so I still went ahead and buy one (from the Fashion Show apple store). So are you telling me that they sold out already? Whew I am glad I bought it on Friday then.

netdoc66
Jul 1, 2007, 03:36 AM
I waited at a ATT store in Jersey City, they only had 30. I ordered mine but I decided to go over to soho and man, they could have built a wall with the amoutn of inventory they had. I felt dumb for going to ATT and waiting. I also got a preapproval from the ATT store but it was not on my receipt which meant that I had to go back to the ATT store again for them to give it to me. The store manager would not come out from the back area of the store. They would up giving me the wrong number again. They claim they've never seen this number before so they didn't know what it was. I called ATT and finally got someone who knew how to get me the code. I'm gonna blow up every ATT line I can find today and demand the auth code be sent through to my phone immediately until one of those boneheads actually does it. So now I'm the proud owner of 2 8gig :confused: iphones because they wouldn't tell us the truth about the inventory. I will never do business with these people again.:eek:

EDIT: About waiting for a new product to launch. I was at the soho apple store when the 3 gen ipod launched. I had a good time doing that it felt good to get that ipod from apple they made you feel good about the purchase. ATT, I just wanted to take a good shower and try to pretend it never happened. It was that slimy.

SirOmega
Jul 1, 2007, 03:50 AM
Are you serious? Were you buying an iPhone in Vegas Fashion Show Mall store?

I, like you, tried to gamble my iPhone and lost $600... Then I still couldn't resist the temptation so I still went ahead and buy one (from the Fashion Show apple store). So are you telling me that they sold out already? Whew I am glad I bought it on Friday then.

Yea the online indicator shows fashion show out of stock. Which should be no surprise given that its right on the strip. If the other Apple store down near Fry's were open already, they'd have less foot traffic.

I waited 8 hrs at the apple store on friday. Kinda feel bad that I didnt need to wait. But oh well.

AppleIntelRock
Jul 1, 2007, 03:55 AM
Yea the online indicator shows fashion show out of stock. Which should be no surprise given that its right on the strip. If the other Apple store down near Fry's were open already, they'd have less foot traffic.

I waited 8 hrs at the apple store on friday. Kinda feel bad that I didnt need to wait. But oh well.
I camped out over 30 hours for the iPhone- and really enjoyed every minute of it. I met a lot of cool people, and now the people in the ATT store will know me for life :cool:
My brother went down to the local apple store about 11:45 PM and bought an iPhone with NO wait. Do I regret waiting in line? nope. Would I do it again? yes. Am I going to be camping out for the next product that warrents it? 100% yes.

irun5k
Jul 1, 2007, 04:30 AM
It might actually be cheaper to buy a phone on eBay now. For example, I just saw a 8 gig go for $625. That is less than you'd pay in most places when you consider sales tax. Plus it includes free shipping. Finally, if you live a ways (say, an hour or more) from an Apple store, you're saving a lot of money on gas.

It is nice to see all these eBay speculators getting their asses handed too them. Considering they paid sales tax, shipping costs, listing fees, and paypal fees, they're losing $$$. It is like all the idiot investors that drove up home prices over the last few years- now they are foreclosing.

shawnce
Jul 1, 2007, 08:20 AM

flyguy451
Jul 1, 2007, 09:14 AM

Hi Shawn; I've got nothing to say about the iPhone but I love your Steve Balmers links! :D

Iroganai
Jul 1, 2007, 09:32 AM
I just returned from Europe last night and the Continental lost my baggage ...
anyway, where should I go to buy my iPhone ??
there's no Apple store nearby !

paja
Jul 1, 2007, 09:39 AM
It's been a nightmare activation experience and I have been a longtime Cingular customer. :(

iMichael72
Jul 1, 2007, 09:45 AM
I went to an AT&T store in Dunkirk, Maryland. It is somewhat of an rural location.
I was #22 in line. After about nine people were let into the store, we found out they had sold out of the 8GB's.
People in line were upset. You could purchase an 8GB and they would mail it to you. Supposedly faster than if you bought it online.

I wanted the 8GB, but didn't want to wait any longer, so I got the 4GB. I was a little upset, but I don't have an iPod, so I don't have any songs/videos to transfer to my iPhone.

4GB's will suit my needs, but, I can't believe they only had around nine 8GB's in stock.
That is crazy. I know they must have figured (incorrectly, obviously) that most would want the 4GB 'cause it's cheaper, but come on, NINE??

Chupa Chupa
Jul 1, 2007, 10:12 AM
I bought my iPod on launch day at an ATT store in NoVa. Apparently I bought the 2nd to last 8GB, and they shortly sold out of 4GBs. The next day I went back in to buy a case and noticed they had rec'd a few more cases of iPhones, and a couple people were w/ associates buying. So while ATT might have sold out of their paltry stock on launch day (I think the avg store got 30 to 40 in) apparently some restocked the next day. I was in the store around 2pm. No idea if they have any left now, but the iPhones do not seem to be "rare," or hard to find. Apple has done a great job with distribution and supply this time. They have learned from the iPod mini and Nano 1.0 supply fiasco.

Chupa Chupa
Jul 1, 2007, 10:15 AM
It's been a nightmare activation experience and I have been a longtime Cingular customer. :(

I hear reports of this and am totally confused. I activated mine yesterday morning. It took about 2 min. to fill in the info and bam my phone was activated almost instantly. I did do the pre-approval, so maybe that helped. Even if I had activation problems I'm not sure I'd return the phone over that issue. My Treo 700p seems like such an old school clunker now.

Carlos E
Jul 1, 2007, 10:18 AM
Drive into the city. As of last night the Soho and 5th ave store still had stock.

JeffDM
Jul 1, 2007, 10:28 AM
You can keep your opinions to yourself though

I don't get why you would make a comment like that. While it is your right to say that, it's just rude. You are telling other people to just shut up all while not doing so yourself. I call double standard on your part.

One Bad Duck
Jul 1, 2007, 10:30 AM
So with all these numbers being sold being thrown around, has the launch been successful? How many do apple need people to buy for it to be in profit and to silence the critics? I guess we'll find out at the next keynote.

whatever
Jul 1, 2007, 11:00 AM

Let's do some quick math. If all of the 1,800 AT&T store got 20 iPhones that would be 36,000 and let's just say they were all the 4GB model (I know that is not true but let's keep this simple), then 36000 x 499 = $17,964,000.00.

Now that's an impressive number for two days of sales, let's cut that number in half and we have $8,982,000.00.

Again, an impressive number. And that's not counting the Apple Stores.

The initial run of iPhones is 3 million units. So if Apple sold just 1/3 of those that's $499,000,000.00.

I can't wait to see this quarter's numbers!

CharlesDWard
Jul 1, 2007, 11:10 AM
I was one of the last people (2nd or 3rd to last) that was able to get an 8 gig iPhone at the Nashville, TN Apple store on Saturday. One of guys working there said that they are opening at 9:00 AM everyday and expect to have a new shipment of phones everyday (for at least the next couple of weeks).

I don't know how many they had when they opened but by 11:30 or so they where out. There where some 4 gigs left (not for sure how many but maybe around 15 or 20)

mashoutposse
Jul 1, 2007, 11:23 AM
The Apple stores got absolutely massive shipments. From the number of people in and out of the the 5th Avenue store, I would estimate that they received something like 3000 units on day one. Apple Stores still having stock means nothing.

You can be sure that Apple paid attention to the screwups repeatedly made by the video game console makers and determined that they weren't going to let the units and dollars go to speculators. The strategy of letting AT&T stores sell out will prove to be genius as they will have it both ways (the hysteria causes by "shortages" and the goodwill of customers who enjoyed a smooth purchasing experience at the Apple Stores).

Romanesq
Jul 1, 2007, 11:32 AM

Last time I checked, only Atlantic City was out in New Jersey. You could make a jaunt to the Short Hills Mall or another of the Apple Stores and you'd probably do just fine.

It's certainly worth the trip and I'd give a store a call but I didn't. :cool:

tirerim
Jul 1, 2007, 11:35 AM
It might actually be cheaper to buy a phone on eBay now. For example, I just saw a 8 gig go for $625. That is less than you'd pay in most places when you consider sales tax. Plus it includes free shipping. Finally, if you live a ways (say, an hour or more) from an Apple store, you're saving a lot of money on gas.

It is nice to see all these eBay speculators getting their asses handed too them. Considering they paid sales tax, shipping costs, listing fees, and paypal fees, they're losing $$$. It is like all the idiot investors that drove up home prices over the last few years- now they are foreclosing.

They may not all have paid sales tax -- not all states have it (Delaware and New Hampshire spring to mind, and I'm sure there are others). At $650, eBay fees would come to $26.42, so it is possible that at least some eBay sellers are making a small profit even once shipping is taken into account. Certainly not enough to justify the time they spent, though. If the iPhone actually sold out everywhere and stayed sold out for any significant length of time, they would do well, but Apple clearly has enough inventory that that's not going to happen.

pyramid6
Jul 1, 2007, 11:37 AM
I bought my iPhone on Saturday morning at an AT&T store. I called before I went and they told me that as far as they knew they still had some. I went home and activated it. Only took a few minutes. Can't complain.

I would like to see numbers. Sold out means nothing. Selling 500,000 is something impressive.

P6

Mtn Tamale
Jul 1, 2007, 12:09 PM
Actually, Apple's Quarterly numbers will barely be affected. Apple announced not long ago that they wouldn't recongnize iPhone revenue right away. Instead they would treat it like a subscription and recognize it over 8 quarters.

Let's do some quick math. If all of the 1,800 AT&T store got 20 iPhones that would be 36,000 and let's just say they were all the 4GB model (I know that is not true but let's keep this simple), then 36000 x 499 = $17,964,000.00.

Now that's an impressive number for two days of sales, let's cut that number in half and we have $8,982,000.00.

Again, an impressive number. And that's not counting the Apple Stores.

The initial run of iPhones is 3 million units. So if Apple sold just 1/3 of those that's $499,000,000.00.

I can't wait to see this quarter's numbers!

swdesignr
Jul 1, 2007, 12:14 PM
My local AT&T store had 105 and sold out immediately.

I was told that the reason apple.com has a 2-4 week ship is that the orders go through AT&T because they are warehousing a lot of the stock.

That would maybe explain why AT&T can get their customers an iPhone in 3-5 days while Apple is less specific. Also why the Apple stores got so much more initial inventory.

They also said that Apple is handling ALL of the activations -- they're not involved.

Not sure how accurate some of this is, but I'm throwin' it in for what it's worth.

inkswamp
Jul 1, 2007, 12:48 PM
Here's a link to an interesting iPhone story that I ran across in an unrelated news search. This one cites actual sales numbers. Not sure where the author is getting the numbers, but it's interesting. If accurate, it looks like the iPhone's first day saw about 200K phones sold.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aUIjMF2enOFY&refer=home

mcrain
Jul 1, 2007, 01:13 PM
There was on 4gig and one 8gig in stock when I went late yesterday afternoon. I want one way too much, but with wedding plans and air tickets, couldn't afford the luxury.

M

Diode
Jul 1, 2007, 01:26 PM
The Apple stores got absolutely massive shipments. From the number of people in and out of the the 5th Avenue store, I would estimate that they received something like 3000 units on day one. Apple Stores still having stock means nothing.

I can attest to this. I went to the Tysons Apple store in DC around 7:30 PM on launch day and was able to buy one ... they said they had already sold a couple hundred. Not bad for the first hour and a half ehh?

tfh1013
Jul 1, 2007, 05:52 PM
hey-

i was wondering, would it make sense to buy one of the online apple store, but keep looking for one locally? i mean, could i cancel my order before they ship it if i end up finding one at a local apple store?:p

thanks

AppleIntelRock
Jul 1, 2007, 05:54 PM
hey-

i was wondering, would it make sense to buy one of the online apple store, but keep looking for one locally? i mean, could i cancel my order before they ship it if i end up finding one at a local apple store?:p

thanks

as long as the shippment hasn't started to process... you'll be fine. so order it, and if you find one locally, make sure apple.com gives you a "cancel order" option :)

ZaoPetra
Jul 1, 2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks to all those people who worked on the iPhone. Thanks for polishing what you could in a reasonable time and not taking another year to add everything that some people continue to complain about. I'm glad to have the phone NOW! I hate my Treo so much I'm going to keep it around to curse. I can't believe the difference now that I have an iPhone to compare to.

Also, Thanks to the people who designed the 'Notes' app. I like it. I figure if Apple stays true to the past they will add other functions as they are able. And again I am very glad they didn't wait another year to add more options. The options they have now are overboard nice. Notes on the Treo are ****.

I love my iPhone. It took me 5 minuites to activate it on Friday night at 7P. I have never had an experience like this. It was beautiful. And I continue to find nice touches that don't have to be there.

I'm so happy right now. I wish people would shutup with their complaining about future features.

Iroganai
Jul 1, 2007, 06:26 PM
Last time I checked, only Atlantic City was out in New Jersey. You could make a jaunt to the Short Hills Mall or another of the Apple Stores and you'd probably do just fine.
Thanks for the suggestion. I was struggling with jet lag and when I woke up
NJ apple stores are closed already :eek:

Nearby AT&T stores didn't have any iPhones. bah.

floatingspirit
Jul 1, 2007, 06:37 PM
there are apple stores sold out:

Topanga
Bay Street
Burlingame
Corte Madera
The Pier
Penn Square
Glendale Galleria
Irvine Spectrum Center
Century City
Beverly Center
Manhattan Village
Palo Alto
Stanford Shopping Center
Pasadena
San Francisco
Stonestown
Sherman Oaks
Walnut Creek
The Falls
Ala Moana
Fashion Show
The Domain
Willow Bend
Southlake Town Square

Now you can add Santa Monica, CA and The Vineyard in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

macidiot
Jul 1, 2007, 07:27 PM

I don't think it was planned. I think AT&T is just incompetent.

My experience:

Got in line ~4:30pm, Santa Monica AT&T store on Wilshire (apparently a "flagship" store, and the only one in Santa Monica), about 80 people in front of me. An employee comes out, I ask if they have iPhones for everyone. The employee states smugly, "we have enough."

Line starts moving at 6pm. By this time, there are another 50+ people behind me. As reported, AT&T processing systems bogged down (they use Windows, btw). It takes 3 hours to take care of the first 60 or so people in line. A woman periodically comes out, and repeatedly when asked states, "we have enough iphones."

When I ask if they actually have an inventory count of phones and why the vague answer, she states "we know, but I will get fired if I give an exact number." WTF.

About that time, a woman comes out, stating that they are just about out of iPhones. She looks at the line and points to a guy about 5 spots ahead of me, saying he will be the last to definitely get a phone. I say WTF, how hard is it to count the number of phones then count the number of people in line?"

A few minutes later, she comes out and says, finally, we have 39 phones left, and most of them are 4GB. This after waiting in line for 3 hours.

I state the obvious and say, "why did you make people, who had no chance of getting a phone wait in line for 3 hours?" She again stated that it was company policy. Nice answer.

I should have walked over to the Apple store and got one of the several THOUSAND they had in stock. However, since I had just WASTED 3 HOURS in line, I stupidly waited some more and got a 4GB. Which, when I actually got into the store, was fairly painless, taking about 10 minutes, mostly due to my cingular account (some changes needed to be made). The guy helping me in the store was very efficient.

I'm guessing they had about 100-150 phones, with about a 60-40 split between 8 and 4GB.

BTW, my friend, at another AT&T store, had a very similar experience. He was 4th in line when they said they were out of phones. Then, after complaining, they said oh, we still have some 4gb in stock. WTF.

Summary:

AT&T policy was insane. They could have simply counted the number of phones they had and handed out numbered pieces of paper to people that could actually get a phone. Instead, they purposely made people wait in line, when they had no chance of getting a phone. This on top of prior genius stuff like having no clearcut policy on existing customers until DAYS before the launch, no plan pricing until days before launch, and other stunningly incompetent management of the launch.

The AT&T store manager should be fired. Period.

The AT&T POS system is actually a POS.

As for my phone...

I love it, except I've already run out of capacity. I'd return it and get a 8gb at the Apple store, but AT&T said that there is a 10% restocking fee, those ********.

The case I bought for it is useless. Adds bulk, not much in protection, and poorly designed. And after watching the stress tests on the internet, there appears to be little need for a case. $25 wasted.

Activating the phone for me was pretty painless. After updating to 10.4.10 and iTunes 7.3 (took about 10 minutes or so), the actual activation took about 5 minutes. It actually took longer than it could have since I was looking for more stuff to do... it was that easy.

However, there was a problem with visual voicemail. When someone called me and it went to voicemail, they got an answer that "the number you called is not in service." This required a call to AT&T. Apparently, it is a known problem with routing on their end and they fixed it for me. This took about 20 minutes on the phone. Works fine now.

FYI, this phone rules. It is ridiculously cool. Amazing attention to detail in the software. I mean, just play with the alarm clock or timer. And mind blowingly easy to use... no manuals necessary.

angelwatt
Jul 1, 2007, 07:51 PM
I went by a store (Columbus, OH) today (Sunday) and they still had about 30 left that I could see, and like 6 on display to play with. Wasn't looking to buy though so kept walking.

stagi
Jul 1, 2007, 08:11 PM
I hope they sold over 200,000 I think with all the hype that people are expecting more sales. Maybe some numbers will be realesed tomorrow?I bought 2 and there were about 300 others I line with me Friday most who I saw were buying 2 also

HyperZboy
Jul 1, 2007, 09:50 PM
My local AT&T store had 105 and sold out immediately.

I was told that the reason apple.com has a 2-4 week ship is that the orders go through AT&T because they are warehousing a lot of the stock.

That would maybe explain why AT&T can get their customers an iPhone in 3-5 days while Apple is less specific. Also why the Apple stores got so much more initial inventory.

They also said that Apple is handling ALL of the activations -- they're not involved.

Not sure how accurate some of this is, but I'm throwin' it in for what it's worth.

That cannot be true because all the AT&T stores I went to all said their warehouse was out of stock and that the item would have to be back-ordered from Apple with NO TIME FRAME GIVEN (unlike the Apple store which clearly states 2-4 weeks). This is why I stormed out of the last AT&T store I went to (although that was mainly because the North Salisbury MD AT&T store manager gave the very last iPhone to his buddy at the back of the line)

My next question though is, if the Apple store is not shipping for 2-4 weeks, doesn't that make their on-line store completely out of stock also?

thjatty
Jul 1, 2007, 10:42 PM
I'm sort of disappointed by how hateful some of the comments are toward the people who chose to camp out. Those people weren't necessarily doing it to be first in line. They were doing it for the same reason Grateful Dead fans used to go to GD shows repeatedly--to be part of the hype and joy, to have some fun and be with like-minded people wanting to experience the same. I think that's just fine. I don't get why people dump on those who want to camp out. Big deal. Who are they hurting? I sometimes think people are jealous and would love to be able to be part of that. I don't know. I don't get the judging and condemning going on.

BTW, the Star Wars fans you're alluding to often camp out and link that to charity (i.e., getting people to sponsor them.) These people aren't always just losers who have "no lives."

OK. So a person who dresses up as Chewy or Padme' does have a life. And the Mayor of Philly waited in line for an iPhone starting at 230pm on Friday; not that he shouldn't or couldn't have done city business.

I'm just as liberal as the next person, and probably more so. At my law office I have nothing but Macs. I detest PCs and Big business (which is ironic since we're dealing with Apple and AT&T).

MY POINT was Apple and/or AT&T should do something different to quit making people act like idiots by waiting in lines. Thank God I didn't hear any stories about fist-fights over them like tickle-me-elmo.

Now; I'll give you one of mine. I go to NASCAR races for 3 days or more at a time. Guess I have no life either.... at least I can play with my iPhone at the track next time...

To each his own :) :apple:

lu0s3r322
Jul 1, 2007, 10:47 PM
more sold out today, this is the full list:

California:
Burlingame
Topanga
Otay Ranch
Corte Madera
South Coast Plaza
Bay Street
Fashion Fair
Glendale Galleria
Irvine Spectrum Center
Century City
Beverly Center
Manhattan Village
Mission Viejo
Fashion Island
Northridge
Palo Alto
Stanford Shopping Center
Pasadena
Stoneridge Mall
Victoria Gardens
Arden Fair
UTC
Stonestown
Oakridge
Higuera Street
Valley Fair
Santa Rosa Plaza
Sherman Oaks
Simi Valley
The Oaks
Walnut Creek

Florida:
Aventura
The Galleria
The Falls
Lincoln Road
Millenia

The Perimeter(GA)

Hawaii:
Ala Moana
Kahala

Northbrook(IL)

Woodland(MI)

Minnesota:
Mall of America
Southdale
Rosedale Center

Nevada:
Fashion Show
Summit Sierra

Smith Haven(NY)

Penn Square(OK)

Suburban Square(PA)

Green Hills(TN)

Texas:
The Domain
Barton Creek
NorthPark Center
Knox Street

The Gateway(UT)

Washington:
Bellevue Square
Alderwood Mall
Southcenter

Looks like theres about 56 stores out.

Xyl
Jul 1, 2007, 11:14 PM
I counted 59 on the website...

And I count 58 on your list, not sure which one you're missing. :p

HyperZboy
Jul 2, 2007, 12:38 AM
I don't think it was planned. I think AT&T is just incompetent...........

.......... The AT&T store manager should be fired. Period.

The AT&T POS system is actually a POS.

Wow, and I thought my experience was bad. I didn't wait nearly as long to be told they were out (& I was told they had enough also), but I did drive a good distance since there was no AT&T store or Apple store in my rural area. It definitely must have been AT&T company policy to never state how many they had because they wouldn't tell me either. But, I doubt it was AT&T company policy to do what the North Salisbury, Maryland AT&T store manager did... He gave the last one to a friend at the BACK OF THE LINE! And of course, when I complained, they called the security guard over to ask what my problem was. What a hassle the whole ordeal was, not to mention the fact that my credit report's been pinged more times in 24hrs than a ping pong table.

By the way, you can cancel your Apple online store order and still head to an Apple store that has them (that's what I eventually did). The local Apple stores will even let you use their phone in the store to cancel your online order, which is very cool. The Apple stores and their employees put the AT&T people to shame.

FYI: I also love the phone. :-)

stagi
Jul 2, 2007, 12:38 AM
Cool, looks like all of CA is sold out now other than San Fran. I hope they release some #'s tomorrow, might be a good day for apple stock :)

yayaba
Jul 2, 2007, 12:50 AM
Damn I just got back from camping today and I couldn't find one anymore in Sacramento. Sacramento for pete's sake!

Apple Store in Sac is out and the 3 or 4 AT&T stores around me are all sold out except for one store which only had a couple of 4 gig iPhone's left. I want an 8gig one though... grr.

According to the availability site, most of CA is out of stock with no new shipments coming at all?

Carlos E
Jul 2, 2007, 12:53 AM
Damn I just got back from camping today and I couldn't find one anymore in Sacramento. Sacramento for pete's sake!

Apple Store in Sac is out and the 3 or 4 AT&T stores around me are all sold out except for one store which only had a couple of 4 gig iPhone's left. I want an 8gig one though... grr.

According to the availability site, most of CA is out of stock with no new shipments coming at all?

I checked Apple's site at 7/2/07 1:50am, it shows stock at:

San Francisco, Stonestown
San Francisco, San Francisco

It shows the rest of the Apple stores in CA out of stock.

Road trip?

yayaba
Jul 2, 2007, 12:55 AM
I checked Apple's site at 7/2/07 1:50am, it shows stock at:

San Francisco, Stonestown
San Francisco, San Francisco

It shows the rest of the Apple stores in CA out of stock.

Road trip?

I was actually in the Bay Area today too but I was dead tired from camping so I didn't think to check SF. If I had checked I would've gone somewhere in San Jose instead but even those stores are out.

Wow, didn't expect this at all. Guess I'll keep checking over the next few days until the Arden Fair one in Sac has more stock.

Carlos E
Jul 2, 2007, 12:59 AM
I was actually in the Bay Area today too but I was dead tired from camping so I didn't think to check SF. If I had checked I would've gone somewhere in San Jose instead but even those stores are out.

Wow, didn't expect this at all. Guess I'll keep checking over the next few days until the Arden Fair one in Sac has more stock.

The stock check is for the following day. You can check after 9pm and purchase at 9am the following day. Just keep an eye on it at night so you know where to go in the morning. Good luck.

MacsomJRR
Jul 2, 2007, 01:51 AM
Do you think it's going to be awhile before the Apple stores get a second shipment in? I'm hoping it isn't 2-4 weeks just like the online store but it doesn't make sense for the stores to get them in first right? Any thoughts?

afkbradshaw
Jul 2, 2007, 06:56 AM
bbc news web site quotes LA Times

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6260618.stm

525,000 sales for the weekend

Apple Architect
Jul 2, 2007, 07:37 AM
Report from Reuters

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=hotStocksNewsUS&storyID=2007-07-02T115045Z_01_N02331804_RTRUKOC_0_US-MARKETS-STOCKS-BEFORETHEBELLapp.xml

jeffwingo
Jul 2, 2007, 08:05 AM
I arrived at my local AT&T store at 5:30. I wanted to avoid the 30 minute drive and long lines at the Apple store. I was #21 in line.
When the doors opened they let in 4 people at a time. It took 20 minutes for each set of 4 to go through. I thought, "Activation is on line; all they have to do is sell the phone." A little while later they revealed that all the 8 gb were sold out and when I finally got to the door, the last 4gb sold to the girl in front of me. The AT&T staff encouraged me to go ahead and do a pre-order, so I did. It took 15 minutes to go through AT&T's system because they had to do a credit check just like I was activating the phone right there. I finally got home with no phone but a promise that one would be shipped as soon as possible.

That night I went on line and saw that the inventory light was green next to my Apple store on the Apple site...it was green at EVERY single store. No store sold out that night. I went into the Apple store the next morning. I walked in, walked up to the counter, paid for my phone and walked out. I took more time bantering with the staff the actual transaction. They said the lines the night before went just as smoothly. In fact, it took more time to cancel the previous nights order at the AT&T store. (Which could not be done on line or on the phone.) Activation was smooth at 10 am.

I wish that Apple would start selling cars.

Iroganai
Jul 2, 2007, 07:18 PM
Nearby AT&T stores didn't have any iPhones. bah.
I went to Apple Store @ Freehold NJ and got mine :)
I just moved to the US last year and have no credit history at all, but AT&amp;T allowed me a pre-paid account.
Activation took only one and a half hour. It seems I was lucky after reading all the horrible stories on activation.

Now my iPhone 4G is syncing ... :D

JeffDM
Aug 26, 2008, 07:46 PM
First of all Verizon sucks - I gave up Verizon because I could never get a signal where I live. You can keep your opinions to yourself though

Wow, what a jerk you are.

macwall
Aug 27, 2008, 02:11 AM
selling out the phones is such a scam. the apple store idiots had the audacity to tell me on a tuesday morning at a mall that they get daily shipments of 25 iphones each morning. :rolleyes: really, because apple wastes all that effort/money/time on arranging the logistics of that kind stupidity.

MacsBestFriend
Nov 5, 2008, 10:47 PM
Liar!!!! I remember a year ago walking into the AT&T store nearby and asking about the iPhone and playing on it the day after release (Saturday). I asked if there was stock left when I left and they said, "Yup." Hahahaha:D

may11
Nov 6, 2008, 05:39 PM
Can anyone tell me how to put ringtones on my IPhone. I have Windows Vista. Thank you!