Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProstheticHead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
Seattle, WA
So today I got back to the house, to find my iMac had turned itself off somehow in the hour that I was away, and when I went to reboot it, it turned on like normal, but the fans began blaring very loudly. When I checked out the speeds in iStatpro, the hard drive fan was going at about 3700rpm and the optical drive fan was around 2900.

Has this happened to you guys before? The fans normalized shortly thereafter, but I don't know if this is cause for concern, or just a little random kink.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Try opening Activity Monitor and see if anything is running with very high CPU usage. Sometimes programs can run out of control and the high CPU usage makes the fans come on.

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
Funny you metion this, I was using my iMac tonight and, for seemingly no reason, my hard drive fan came on. I check on iStat pro and it was going at 5500rpm approx. The optical was only going at 999rpm and the cpu fan was also going at 999rpm. The fan gradually slowed down and is now spinning normally - 1199rpm.

I did notice that my CPU A was at about 50 degrees c. Not sure if this had anything to do with it.

I don't think it's anything to worry about....

I posted some screenshots too, do your temps look similiar to these?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 151
  • Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 160

ProstheticHead

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
Seattle, WA
Yeah, my temps look about the same as yours. Bizarre. Ah well, maybe my iMac was trying to tell me it wants to run some more intense apps. :)

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
Yeah, my temps look about the same as yours. Bizarre. Ah well, maybe my iMac was trying to tell me it wants to run some more intense apps. :)

I found out what kicked mine into overdrive - Colloquy. It's an IRC app and it was using 90% CPU at the time. I got rid of it.

Just think, it'd be worse if the fans weren't coming on :)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
FAR OUT!!! youve downlaoded 4gb in one day!!!!!! wats ur downloads per month!

i ahvent even done that in 13 days....

your computer seems pretty fine to me., judging from the picture it seems ok.. but if the hdd is at like 3000 all the time..thats a bit wierd.. do u reckon there could be lots of dust built up or something??

bingefeller

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Northern Ireland
FAR OUT!!! youve downlaoded 4gb in one day!!!!!! wats ur downloads per month!

i ahvent even done that in 13 days....

your computer seems pretty fine to me., judging from the picture it seems ok.. but if the hdd is at like 3000 all the time..thats a bit wierd.. do u reckon there could be lots of dust built up or something??

My downloads per month.....not sure Perhaps 10 - 15gb.. Sometimes I'd have downloads going all the time, then I mightn't download anything for weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.