PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone found an adapter for using different headphones?

squall1
Jun 30, 2007, 08:54 PM
Has to be one of the more bone-headed design decisions I've ever seen from Apple. Thanks in advance!

mkrishnan
Jun 30, 2007, 09:04 PM
Belkin appears to have been hard at work on it, although their design seems to have been beaten into completion with the ugly stick.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/belkin-headphone-adapter-for-iphone/

AkenanM
Jul 1, 2007, 12:15 AM
Yeah I'm really kind of pissed about this. I went to the store to see if they had any affordable headphones and of course they don't. I absolutely hate the earbuds because they fall out of my ears too easily. I searched all over for an adapter that wasn't ugly as sin like the Belkin one. BLAH!!! Ah well, guess I can still use my iPod until someone comes out with a decent and affordable pair of headphones.

mduser63
Jul 1, 2007, 12:50 AM
I love my iPhone despite a few minor software glitches because these can be fixed in software updates. However, this stupid decision to recess the headphone jack is making me mad. Why in the world did Apple think that was a good idea?! That Belkin adapter is hideous and looks like a good way to break the headphone jack (long lever arm). I'm making my own adapter from using the plug from a pair of broken iPhone earbuds but Apple needs to release a well thought out, cabled adapter and update the design to remove the stupid recessed jack so that normal headphones will work in it.

flybriz
Jul 1, 2007, 12:59 AM
I saw that Belkin adapter for sale at our new Apple store in Tulsa today. It extraordinarily long... Way longer than it needs to be, and I agree a good way to break your headphone jack if you're not careful. It's $9.99 at the Apple store, probably the same everywhere else. I thought about getting it nonetheless for my Shure E3c headphones but I think I'll grin and bear it with the stock headphones until Shure releases their adapter/microphone kit in August. Yuk.

elyliu
Jul 1, 2007, 01:01 AM
the belkin thing might not be too bad. The descriptions say that the plastic mid section is flexible, not hard plastic.

ctakim
Jul 1, 2007, 08:38 AM
Check out the Griffin adapter dongle

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/headphoneadapter/

It is listed as coming soon.

mduser63
Jul 1, 2007, 09:09 AM
Check out the Griffin adapter dongle

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/headphoneadapter/

It is listed as coming soon.

That looks better although like elyliu said, apparently the Belkin adapter is actually flexible so it might not be so bad.

squall1
Jul 1, 2007, 09:28 AM
Griffin has that splitter thing out now, does anyone know if that works? I'm going to Radio Shack today to see if they might have something...they usually do. I just can't believe people have to hack their headphones or make their own, how dumb is that?

I know this is the iPhone, but it is an iPod as well and you should be able to plug whatever headphones you want into it. I don't want to carry two devices when I travel, that's one of the main reasons I bought this thing. 500-600 bucks and people are hacking up solutions or, even more insulting, having to buy an adapter! Come on Apple....

erichacker
Jul 1, 2007, 11:54 AM
Just take an x-acto knife or other sharp blade and trim off a few millimeters around the plug on the headphones. I've already done this the volume cable to connect to my old CSW Microworks system and it worked fine.

If the headphones you want to use are too expensive, then buy a Y adapter for three of four bucks and cut that. It's only a few inches long and even let's one share the tunes with someone next to you.

It's really quite easy if one is patient and uses a good sharp blade. Just make sure to hold the plug so that if the knife slips it doesn't go into fingers or anything else vital.

Julien
Jul 1, 2007, 12:35 PM
Just take an x-acto knife or other sharp blade and trim off a few millimeters around the plug on the headphones...

That is what I did also. It is rigged but hopefully UE's is working on a iPhone cord.
http://photos.imageevent.com/williamjulien/forsale/huge/iPhone%20001.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/williamjulien/forsale/huge/iPhone%20003.jpg

greymouser
Jul 1, 2007, 02:12 PM
I just want an adapter for my Aux jack in my car, so I can play the ipod features while driving.

The Belkin adapter seems perfect for me, but I hope that JBL makes iphone compatible headphones; their earbuds are the best I've had.

squall1
Jul 1, 2007, 05:05 PM
I bought this:

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4178

It was all they had at our Apple store that would fit. Ugly and one more thing to lose, but it works for now.

mchank
Jul 1, 2007, 05:31 PM
Designed for Shure owners, but should work for anyone who wants to have answer ability without taking out your iphone:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/shure-music-phone-adapter-mpa-3c/

Comes out in August.

Stewie
Jul 2, 2007, 03:39 PM
But the iPhone headphones has the mic double as a button for pausing songs and skipping to the next track. I think that is a really good feature of some otherwise standard looking headphones.

Xenious
Jul 3, 2007, 12:36 AM
My suggestion was to take the old "Water tight" adapter cable that came with shuffle 1.0 water "proof" cases and dremmel it down to fit. its about 3 inchest long, but just a flexable cord and would make an easy extension to most headphones.

gr8tfly
Jul 3, 2007, 12:41 AM
Much as I'd like a molded adapter, no one has one around here at the moment.

Went to Radio Shack and bought a "Y" adapter.

Knife and shrink-tube (to bring it up to the diameter of the Apple Plug), and it seems to fit nicely.

QuarterSwede
Jul 3, 2007, 12:50 AM
What they need to come out with is an adapter that looks like the iPhone cord (with one button remote and mic) that allows you to plug in any set of phones you want. Come on Apple, everyone knows your earbuds suck.

Heck Apple may as well substitute the earbud cord/remote for the adapter/remote + earbuds and make it easier for everyone.

Private Sector
Jul 3, 2007, 12:57 AM
this is a baffling aspect of the design of the iphone. i could see potentially if apple had made the adapter, but it's not even their own profit if they're using this crazy design to sell a belkin/other 3pp product.

the iphone is sexy as hell, but i'm kind of astonished at the need to buy an 1/8" to 1/8" adapter to make it work with any other headphones.

gr8tfly
Jul 3, 2007, 12:58 AM
What they need to come out with is an adapter that looks like the iPhone cord (with one button remote and mic) that allows you to plug in any set of phones you want. Come on Apple, everyone knows your earbuds suck.

Heck Apple may as well substitute the earbud cord/remote for the adapter/remote + earbuds and make it easier for everyone.

This is pretty close: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/headphoneadapter/

I'm still going to order these, when available (need 2 :) ). Not to happy with the look of the Belkin. My "McGyver'd" "Y" adapter will suffice in the mean time.

gr8tfly
Jul 3, 2007, 01:00 AM
this is a baffling aspect of the design of the iphone. i could see potentially if apple had made the adapter, but it's not even their own profit if they're using this crazy design to sell a belkin/other 3pp product.

the iphone is sexy as hell, but i'm kind of astonished at the need to buy an 1/8" to 1/8" adapter to make it work with any other headphones.

It seems to function as a strain relief for the jack itself. With the barrel of the plug in the recess, the case takes the strain, not the jack.

jstennis1591
Jul 3, 2007, 08:11 AM
Just a heads up, I have the Belkin adapter, and it DOES bend......like it bends fully so that i can touch the end where you plug yours in, to the other tip that goes into the iphone......

It's not just like one hard piece of inflexible plastic.

iSaint
Jul 3, 2007, 08:58 AM
I just remembered that the AT&T store where I bought my iPhone had some Shure headphones on the iPhone accessory rack. They were packaged different, and had a different model number than the e2c, e3c, etc. I didn't look closely at them, so I wonder if they have the correct plug for the iPhone? They were $99.

EDIT: I found them on the AT&T site. Apparently you do need the adapter, but they don't sell it. Nice!

woodbutcher
Jul 3, 2007, 10:40 AM
I purchased a set of the shure headset from the ATTt store, and was very excited owning 2 sets of shure earphones already> ec5's for my ipod 80 gig, and a second set of ec3 for my old 40 gig (I leave that in the car for my car stereo interface, and sometimes I forget my other ipod at home, so a second set of earphones comes in handy) The ATT store would not let me try them, so I purchased them and went to my car to try them out. The sound quality was pretty good until I tried a phone call. Both on my end, and on the callers end sounded like you in a barrel, echo with crackles and pops. I thought maybe i had a defective pair, and tried a second pair with the same results. Returned them without ever leaving the ATT parking lot. I was very disappointed. So for now I am stuck with the stock headphones with a pair of griffin earjams.

http://www.smalldog.com/product/32900

rapps
Jul 3, 2007, 10:50 AM
I purchased a set of the shure headset from the ATTt store, and was very excited owning 2 sets of shure earphones already> ec5's for my ipod 80 gig, and a second set of ec3 for my old 40 gig (I leave that in the car for my car stereo interface, and sometimes I forget my other ipod at home, so a second set of earphones comes in handy) The ATT store would not let me try them, so I purchased them and went to my car to try them out. The sound quality was pretty good until I tried a phone call. Both on my end, and on the callers end sounded like you in a barrel, echo with crackles and pops. I thought maybe i had a defective pair, and tried a second pair with the same results. Returned them without ever leaving the ATT parking lot. I was very disappointed. So for now I am stuck with the stock headphones with a pair of griffin earjams.

http://www.smalldog.com/product/32900

I'm about to pick up a pair of Shures. Why was the sound quality poor on the calls? Wouldn't you just be using the regular mic to speak into and the shure's to hear the other end? Please let me know!

basicfiend
Jul 3, 2007, 10:55 AM
Has to be one of the more bone-headed design decisions I've ever seen from Apple.

I agree that it's quite annoying. Although I think the engineers at Apple might have been trying to solve a problem that plagued some early generation iPods. In that case, the headphone receptacle was made of aluminum (a soft metal) and would become warped after repeated use. Presumably the iPhone design keeps the jack from wiggling (that's the highly technical term for it) and ruining the connection.

woodbutcher
Jul 3, 2007, 10:55 AM
They have a mic built in with supposed noise cancelation. I also forgot to mention there is no switch on the headset. With the call sound quality so poor the no switch design was not as big of an issue. For $100 I expected a better performing unit.

rapps
Jul 3, 2007, 11:11 AM
They have a mic built in with supposed noise cancelation. I also forgot to mention there is no switch on the headset. With the call sound quality so poor the no switch design was not as big of an issue. For $100 I expected a better performing unit.

Are you referring to the e530s or the e210s? Did you combine the Shure's with a different adapter?

woodbutcher
Jul 3, 2007, 11:16 AM
Are you referring to the e530s or the e210s? Did you combine the Shure's with a different adapter?
I am sorry, I did not look at the model number, there was only one choice at the ATT store, They did not need an adapter, it had the reduced diameter plug. The box said it was made for an iphone. Again, the phone call prtion of this headset made was so poor I returned it immediatly.

rapps
Jul 3, 2007, 11:21 AM
I am sorry, I did not look at the model number, there was only one choice at the ATT store, They did not need an adapter, it had the reduced diameter plug. The box said it was made for an iphone. Again, the phone call prtion of this headset made was so poor I returned it immediatly.

Are you sure you aren't referring to the V-Moda headsets that were available for $100. I agree...those were horrible and included a mic. Currently, there are no "Shure" headphones that include a phone mic portion. I remember them selling an older model that had the headphone portion. If thats what you were referring to, then I apologize. You're absolutely right...those got horrible reviews!

woodbutcher
Jul 3, 2007, 11:45 AM
Are you sure you aren't referring to the V-Moda headsets that were available for $100. I agree...those were horrible and included a mic. Currently, there are no "Shure" headphones that include a phone mic portion. I remember them selling an older model that had the headphone portion. If thats what you were referring to, then I apologize. You're absolutely right...those got horrible reviews!

I am positive this was SHURE product I am sorry I did not get the model number. It was packaged in a Yellow ATT box, showing the ear buds and connector end on it. I live in Chicago and Shure is in a very nearby suburb, maybe they only released it in this area.

gr8tfly
Jul 3, 2007, 12:43 PM
Just a heads up, I have the Belkin adapter, and it DOES bend......like it bends fully so that i can touch the end where you plug yours in, to the other tip that goes into the iphone......

It's not just like one hard piece of inflexible plastic.

Thanks. That's good to know. Might take another look, as it is a bit smaller/shorter than the Griffen.

imwoblin
Jul 3, 2007, 12:58 PM
I ended up getting the Belkin adapter. For $10 its a no brainer.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=374491

frogblender
Aug 7, 2007, 11:10 AM
Does anyone know the actual diameter of the iphone's headphone jack recess?

To measure, you need a Vernier Caliper; a ruler is NOT good enough.

mustang_dvs
Aug 7, 2007, 01:56 PM
Has to be one of the more bone-headed design decisions I've ever seen from Apple. Thanks in advance!

I agree that it's quite annoying. Although I think the engineers at Apple might have been trying to solve a problem that plagued some early generation iPods. In that case, the headphone receptacle was made of aluminum (a soft metal) and would become warped after repeated use. Presumably the iPhone design keeps the jack from wiggling (that's the highly technical term for it) and ruining the connection.

Actually, it was the 1Gen iPod that had the headphone jack issue that the engineers are trying to avoid by adding a deeper, reinforced recessed jack for the iPhone.

The original iPod was designed to use a collar-type remote connector that fit around the headphone jack. Unfortunately, the jack was surrounded by thin plastic (necessitated by the remote's collar design), so if you didn't have the remote (and those of us who bought the iPod in the first ~6 months didn't because the remote wasn't announced yet), lateral forces on the headphone plug (even just putting it in your pocket) would snap the surround and you'd have a useless iPod or a 5/10GB firewire drive.

Big-TDI-Guy
Aug 7, 2007, 05:38 PM
You can buy this adapter at your local home depot. (See Step # 1)

3 bucks for 50 of em.

stankyfish
Aug 13, 2007, 11:59 AM
That Belkin adapter is hideous and looks like a good way to break the headphone jack (long lever arm).

That's a very good observation -- and one I wish I had made before I bought and used the awful Belkin adapter. I think the bending of the adapter (which was necessary to make it fit in little storage spaces while using in my car, on a treadmill, etc.) seems to have permanently pushed a contact or contacts in the headphone jack inward enough to prevent reliable contact with the adapter resulting in sporadic disconnects, pops, and triggering of the pausing feature when the headphones are removed. The $10 adapter is now useless and may have compromised the performance of my $600 phone. Needless to say, I'm not at all happy with the Belkin adapter.