PDA

View Full Version : PowerMac G5 Television Ad seen on CNBC. (mp4 file)

Freg3000
Jul 15, 2003, 12:31 PM
I was sitting on my bed, using my laptop, not paying attention to the TV. I was watching CNBC but it was on commercial, and I was tuning out the noise. I heard a crashing noise in the commercial, which made me look up, and then I saw the G5. It was sitting on a desk at night with an Apple display to the right of it (from our perspective). You could see the left side of the G5 (the side you can't remove). Then apple.com/g5 appeared on the screen. I missed most of the commercial, but it was definitely not the normal white screen we have seen with the iPod and Switch commercials.

Very exciting! :)

Edit: I am going to record CNBC during the commercial break to see if I can capture the G5 ad.

Eniregnat
Jul 15, 2003, 12:33 PM
I don't have a TV.
Is it like the PowerMac QT video (http://www.apple.com/powermac/video/)

Freg3000
Jul 15, 2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Eniregnat
I don't have a TV.
Is it like the PowerMac QT video (http://www.apple.com/powermac/video/)

Well I can definitely say that it is not the promo video. I assume that it is only a normal 30 second commercial. But then again I only saw the last 5 seconds or so.

Eniregnat
Jul 15, 2003, 12:55 PM
Ether way, it’s the Weapon of choice. (http://www.gutterandstars.com/).

In responce to Tzao below->
I didn't mean to be obtuse. I thought the connection was clear.
I havn't found a link to a spooled copy of the ad, and hope somebody posts one when it does happen.

tazo
Jul 15, 2003, 02:33 PM
I am confused eniregnat, how does fatboy slim relate to the G5? Ugly? :) Seriously though whats with the link to fatboy slim's site?

-tazo

Schiffi
Jul 15, 2003, 02:53 PM
The G5 promo plays Weapon of Choice in the BG.

Freg3000
Jul 15, 2003, 03:43 PM
Update: I just came home and started recording again and just caught the end of the commercial. It features Jeff Goldblum. Here it is:

http://homepage.mac.com/freg3000/.Movies/G5.mp4

To download it, click here:

http://homepage.mac.com/freg3000/

Once again, this is only a partial ad. i will work on getting the rest of it.

Abstract
Jul 15, 2003, 04:01 PM
Whoa, Jeff Goldblum!!! Imagine how hard it was to hire an actor of Mr. Goldblum's stature and credentials. They must have bargained with Mr. Goldblum for months, maybe years, to get him to shoot another Apple commercial, what with his hectic acting schedule and all. ;)

Next, they should hire Mr. T to shoot a commercial. "I pity the foo......I pity the foo who doesn't buy this computer."

michaelrjohnson
Jul 15, 2003, 04:19 PM
great job freg3000!!! good work! thanks!

can't wait to see it.

MacFan25
Jul 15, 2003, 04:23 PM
That's great. Good commercial. Simple, but it gets the point across.

Thanks Freg3000! :D

MacBytes
Jul 15, 2003, 04:48 PM
Category: Photos
Link: PowerMac G5 Television Ad seen on CNBC. (mp4 file) (http://homepage.mac.com/freg3000/.Movies/G5.mp4)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

KentuckyApple
Jul 15, 2003, 04:49 PM
Maybe I'm a bit slow, but what does the breaking glass have to do with anything?

Abstract
Jul 15, 2003, 04:59 PM
Good question. Freg3000 said that he missed the beginning of the commercial, so I don't know why there was glass breaking at the beginning of the file, but there was also glass broken at the end of the commercial. We saw the entire ending, and it just didn't make any sense. :confused:

Flowbee
Jul 15, 2003, 05:01 PM
That's it? No one can ever accuse Apple of the 'hard sell.'

Das
Jul 15, 2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by KentuckyApple
Maybe I'm a bit slow, but what does the breaking glass have to do with anything?

nonono, that's the sound of my wallet.

bobindashadows
Jul 15, 2003, 05:06 PM
Hmm... not bad. I like it more than most commercials i see nowadays, with their bad plot-lines and silly antics. No i can't really give an example, but i bet you can.

nagromme
Jul 15, 2003, 05:08 PM
That can't be the whole ad. What is that room full of junk? What are those crashing sounds? Why is the light so dim? There must be a point to it, and we're only getting part of the ad.

Odd that the link (/g5) at the end goes to a rather technical page on the G5 architecture, rather than to the mini-site on the PowerMac G5 itself.

Abstract
Jul 15, 2003, 05:13 PM
Did you really record it? This was posted in the Hardware Forum:

Originally posted by MacBytes
Category: Photos
Link: PowerMac G5 Television Ad seen on CNBC. (mp4 file) (http://homepage.mac.com/freg3000/.Movies/G5.mp4)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

From "MacBytes". It seems to be the same file as yours, since it's "incomplete" as you have mentioned. They stole it from you very quickly!!!

szark
Jul 15, 2003, 05:24 PM
MacBytes = MacRumors = arn

The link goes to Freg3000's site.

LimeLite
Jul 15, 2003, 05:26 PM
In another thread, the person who recorded this noted that he only caught the last part of it. This is not the whole ad.

Freg3000
Jul 15, 2003, 05:28 PM
I have the worst luck. I just caught the ending again. I am just dedicting my recorder to CNBC and leaving it on. They broadcast apple commercials a lot. Actually, it is the only place I have seen it.

Thanks everyone.

Tiauguinho
Jul 15, 2003, 05:30 PM
Thanks Freg3000! Wondefull job! Im watching CNBC now, to see if i can catch the beggining of the ad! :D

sparkleytone
Jul 15, 2003, 06:11 PM
Apparently (http://www.macnet2.com/) the commercial depicts someone being thrown into the room and then blown out of the room through the window. Also on that link is speculation of a new LCD, but it looks like a "normal" 23" Cinema to me. Wonder if that means no new displays?

Sauron's Master
Jul 15, 2003, 06:26 PM
I too saw this commercial except on MTV and not CNBC. (haha, gotta love MTV. macs always seem to pop up on their shows). I missed part of the beginning but the commercial features apparently a woman standing there I think, and then the camera going through several broken walls to the room where the G5 is. Then the clip that was recorded follows with the some guy saying something like "The Power Mac G5, world's fastest personal computer." I think the idea of the commercial is that the G5 is so powerful that it can blast through walls. Funny to say the least. And it features the G5, which makes it absolutely awesome. :D. On a side note, notice the monitor. Apparently unrevised old Cinema HD Display. And keyboard which seems to be the Apple Keyboard. This seems to be a huge blow to the rumors of new keyboards, mice, and monitors. Why not just use a protoype model in your ad to show what the consumer will get? Unless they're not planning to release it anytime soon.

applemacdude
Jul 15, 2003, 06:34 PM
Cool commercial, finally Apple showcases their products. The powermacs looks rendered though...

MacFan25
Jul 15, 2003, 06:35 PM
I just turned it on CNBC for a few minutes wondering if the commercial would be on there, and I saw it. A guy is blown out of his house (apparently by the speed of the PowerMac :D ) and then the camera zooms onto the PowerMac G5. Good Commercial.

I wonder if Joswiak will say anything about the commercial tomorrow. :confused:

Freg3000
Jul 15, 2003, 06:36 PM
Ok, I got the whole thing. I captured in on MSNBC. Give me a minute to get the link up.

Edit: The same links still work. Have fun!

szark
Jul 15, 2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Sauron's Master
Why not just use a protoype model in your ad to show what the consumer will get? Unless they're not planning to release it anytime soon.

Because this is Apple, and they like surprises! :D

thebossisback
Jul 15, 2003, 06:47 PM
That was a cool comercial but it seems a different style than what they usualy do.

Stike
Jul 15, 2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by MacFan25
I just turned it on CNBC for a few minutes wondering if the commercial would be on there, and I saw it. A guy is blown out of his house (apparently by the speed of the PowerMac :D ) and then the camera zooms onto the PowerMac G5. Good Commercial.

Looks like they took the quote "a kick-ass machine" literally...

Edit: I love the irony of your new commercial capture, as the commercial interrupts Motorola forcasts on Quarter 3 :p :D

SlimHades
Jul 15, 2003, 06:54 PM
As for it being a new display, I understand after watching both the old (truncated) and new recordings how one might get confused.

The first recording has a stock ticker at the bottom, squashing the commerical horizontally, which gives the display a wider-looking appearance. The un-squashed version clearly shows the current display.

Freg3000
Jul 15, 2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by SlimHades
As for it being a new display, I understand after watching both the old (truncated) and new recordings how one might get confused.

The first recording has a stock ticker at the bottom, squashing the commerical horizontally, which gives the display a wider-looking appearance. The un-squashed version clearly shows the current display.

I understand what you mean. I am trying to attach screen captures showing this, but I don't know how.

Edit:
Originally posted by Stike

Edit: I love the irony of your new commercial capture, as the commercial interrupts Motorola forcasts on Quarter 3 :p :D

That is too funny. I just noticed it too. Bye bye Moto...

Freg3000
Jul 15, 2003, 07:02 PM
And here is the non-squashed pic: (sorry for the triple post)

MrMacMan
Jul 15, 2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by szark
The link goes to Freg3000's site.

I am so glad I wasn't loosing my mind, why didn't are just link the the thread?

:p

Freg3000 -- very nice.

chewbaccapits
Jul 15, 2003, 07:39 PM
I saw it on a commercial break during the all-star game...was funny and surprising....No rumors that this would happen right?

zulgand04
Jul 15, 2003, 07:49 PM
Apple Also had a spot at around 8:30 on Fox dureing the alstar game not the same comercial but, it looks like it was the last part of the cnbc ad.

-Neal

oops look like chewbaccapits beat me to this. :( lol

themadchemist
Jul 15, 2003, 08:20 PM
How can it be the end of the commercial? Right before we see the commercial part of it, we see at the bottom of the screen (right athe beginning) the CNBC ticker. So shouldn't that suggest that the commercial begins right after CNBC goes to break, and that we're seeing the whole commercial?

Or is that some other recording before it Freg?

If this is the whole commercial, it's pretty stupid.

Freg3000
Jul 15, 2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by themadchemist
How can it be the end of the commercial? Right before we see the commercial part of it, we see at the bottom of the screen (right athe beginning) the CNBC ticker. So shouldn't that suggest that the commercial begins right after CNBC goes to break, and that we're seeing the whole commercial?

Or is that some other recording before it Freg?

If this is the whole commercial, it's pretty stupid.

The one you probably saw was the one recorded from MSNBC. It has the crawl at the bottom of the screen before it fades out. Then the entire commercial begins. On the MacBytes site it still says partial, but it is now complete. The commercial is just under 30 seconds.

e-coli
Jul 15, 2003, 09:25 PM
It looked rediculous next to that screen and keyboard. Totally didn't match. Just my $.02 :rolleyes:

solvs
Jul 15, 2003, 09:45 PM
Reread Fregs comments. He posted the tail end first, then the whole thing later. The first time he didn't catch the whole commercial.

Saw it. Wasn't bad. Funnier than some of the other stuff out there. But you guys do realize that this will be mercilessly made fun of, right? It's no where near as good as "1984" (but then again, what is?), but it certainly gets your attention.

Maybe that's what Apple wants. Extra publicity. They make outrageous claims, Windows users bite back, flame wars continue. Then, analysts give their half @$$ed uninformed comments, and hilarity ensues. All the while, Apple reaps the benefits.

No publicity is bad publicity.

cr2sh
Jul 15, 2003, 10:31 PM
They just showed another apple commercial.. this one was a VW BUG commercial in which they were using iPODS.. at the end it said "IPODS UNITE" and a VW logo.. I dunno what thats all about. Anyone else see it?

sparkleytone
Jul 15, 2003, 10:36 PM
yeah...buy a vw bug get a free ipod.

zuggerat
Jul 15, 2003, 10:36 PM
buy a VW bug get an ipod with a car adapter...hence the pods unite

Chaszmyr
Jul 15, 2003, 10:37 PM
I'd like to point out that is the eMac keyboard that its sitting next to. However, it seems that there is no mouse depicted.

Jerry Spoon
Jul 15, 2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by MacFan25
That's great. Good commercial. Simple, but it gets the point across.

Thanks Freg3000! :D
True enough. I just saw an ad in the front inside cover of Newsweek that basically just states that the new G5 chip is made through cooperation with IBM and Apple and that it rocks...no web site to go to, just a simple message.

paulworthington
Jul 15, 2003, 11:34 PM
I've got the whole 30 second ad in QuickTime, captured off of Animal Planet, of all places.

http://www.lauraworthington.net/g5/G5-15July2003.mov

nagromme
Jul 16, 2003, 12:00 AM
I see the male is the power user while the woman is in the kitchen with the dishrag. Way to Think Different!

I can only assume that because this ad is so much like so many others--from the gender stereotypes to the goofy catastrophe reaction--that it will prove highly successful.

marquitin
Jul 16, 2003, 12:56 AM
>>I see the male is the power user while the woman is in the kitchen with the dishrag. Way to Think Different!

I can only assume that because this ad is so much like so many others--from the gender stereotypes to the goofy catastrophe reaction--that it will prove highly successful.<<

In fact, aside from being in the kitchen, the woman is highly "un-"stereotypical. Just checking things out, very little reaction.

icrew
Jul 16, 2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Chaszmyr
I'd like to point out that is the eMac keyboard that its sitting next to. However, it seems that there is no mouse depicted.

Look closely--there is a mouse in the commercial--the guy still has it in his hand when he hits the tree....(it's a couple of frames before the 5 second mark)

gotohamish
Jul 16, 2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by icrew
Look closely--there is a mouse in the commercial--the guy still has it in his hand when he hits the tree....(it's a couple of frames before the 5 second mark)

Good call...and it's WIRED!

Porshuh944turbo
Jul 16, 2003, 02:02 AM
way too much analysis going on here...

apple isn't going to show us new stuff in a g5 commercial..

WM.
Jul 16, 2003, 02:22 AM
OK, I'm a little bored and I don't have a scanner, so I figured I'd transcribe the ad on the inside front cover of the 7/21 issue of Newsweek, for those who don't have access to a copy or are too lazy to get one. Here goes:

--------------------

[The text is mostly black, although the captions and perhaps the fine print (it's hard to tell, I'm in pretty bad light right now) are a medium gray. The background is stark white, and as far as I can tell there's nothing on the page except what I've noted--pretty typical Apple in that way. Admittedly, I'm too lazy to do much real formatting on this.]

The dawn of a new PC era. The 64-bit processor.

For the last decade, every processor chip in every personal computer in the world has been based on 32-bit architecture. It was the best technology we had. Until today. Introducing the revolutionary PowerPC G5 processor, the world's first 64-bit processor for personal computers.

[Just to the left of the last line of this paragraph is a photo of a 12-inch wafer of G5s/970s, obviously in IBM's new fab. The photo is captioned: "The world's most advanced personal computer chips are manufactured in the world's most advanced semiconductor factory." Just to the right of the first two lines of the next paragraph is an IBM logo.]

Before now, a chip this formidable could only be found in the world's fastest servers and supercomputers. Which is precisely where the G5 chip came from. Developed by IBM and Apple, the G5's DNA is from the core of IBM's highest performance POWER4 processor. But just as impressive as the G5's pedigree is how it's manufactured. In IBM's (and the world's) most advanced semiconductor facility, the G5's 12-inch silicon wafers are untouched by human hands as robots guide them through 500 processing steps, creating 58 million transistors and connecting them with over 1000' of copper wire that's less than 1/800th the width of a human hair.

[Just to the right of the first half of the next paragraph is a photo of the side (not sure which) of the PMG5, captioned: "The world's first 64-bit desktop processor can only be found in one place: Inside the new Power Mac G5, the world's first personal computer." On the opposite side of the paragraph is a gray Apple logo, the same size as the IBM logo near it.]

The new PowerPC G5 has a 1-gigahertz frontside bus* that moves data in and out of the processor almost twice as fast as the competition, removing a key bottleneck that limits performance. And it can support more than 200 in-flight instructions at a time--71% more than the 32-bit Pentium 4. Perhaps most importantly, the G5's 64-bit architecture can address dramatically more memory--over 4 billion times more than 32-bit chips--so that systems built around the G5 can shatter the 4-gigabyte memory ceiling that limits every other PC on earth. The 64-bit PowerPC G5. It's not just a new chip. It's the next chapter in personal computing.

[Occupying about the bottom third of the two-page ad is the top part of a 12-inch wafer, and it appears to be slightly bigger than actual size. Near the very bottom of the page, superimposed on the wafer, is the fine print, which reads: "TM and (C)2003 Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved. IBM and PowerPC are registered TMs of IBM. *Select models. For more information, call 1-800-MY-APPLE or visit www.apple.com.]

--------------------

OK, I think that about covers it. Hopefully I described it well enough, and there weren't any typos or anything. I hope at least someone found that useful. :)

WM

chewbaccapits
Jul 16, 2003, 02:41 AM
Dang...your one heck of a scribe...

Chaszmyr
Jul 16, 2003, 04:56 AM
That mouse and keyboard are white! Ick! I miss the black keyboards and mice

AhmedFaisal
Jul 16, 2003, 06:10 AM
Personally thats a pretty bad commercial from Apple. Everybody still remembers the whole fuss about the too loud Dual G4s, now with everybody knowing the G5 has yet more fans if it turns out the G5 is noisy too this commercial could be interpreted as "blowing you out of your house because of those jetplane fans". :mad:
Cheers,

Ahmed

killmoms
Jul 16, 2003, 06:30 AM
Everybody still remembers the whole fuss about the too loud Dual G4s, now with everybody knowing the G5 has yet more fans if it turns out the G5 is noisy too this commercial could be interpreted as "blowing you out of your house because of those jetplane fans". Except that everyone who's really interested already knows that the G5 is quieter. This is something I think Apple will capitalize on.

robotrenegade
Jul 16, 2003, 06:31 AM
Nice Ad

Mr. Anderson
Jul 16, 2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by AhmedFaisal
"blowing you out of your house because of those jetplane fans"

I didn't get that impression from the ad - to me it wasn't the fans on the box, but the power of the machine itself.

It didn't show any fans in the ad, so its a bit of a leap.

I do think they could have done a little better though....but it was good seeing it - I saw it on the Discovery Channel last night. :D

D

XForge
Jul 16, 2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by nagromme
I see the male is the power user while the woman is in the kitchen with the dishrag. Way to Think Different!

I can only assume that because this ad is so much like so many others--from the gender stereotypes to the goofy catastrophe reaction--that it will prove highly successful.

If they'd shown the woman getting blown out of the house and smacking against a tree they'd have been called misogynists for depicting a woman getting hurt. You cannot win in this game. This was the best way to do it.

djtet
Jul 16, 2003, 07:22 AM
i just think it's great that apple is advertising its products...especially on FOX, MTV, etc...

droid
Jul 16, 2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by nagromme

Puleeze... I see your 'male power user' as a punk teen age kid and your 'dishrag wielding woman in the kitchen' as a Mother in full control of her house. She is obviously doing pretty well w/ that MC Escherish artwork hanging on the walls and that Stainless Steel refrigerator, not to mention the G5 and flatscreen. If that is a stereotypical commercial, let me in, I want to get my kids G5s too.

jayscheuerle
Jul 16, 2003, 07:51 AM
All about style and references to power, but nothing here will increase their market share. It's still "one of those computers that doesn't run Windows, right?".

Apple needs a compelling commercial showing what you can DO on these machines, why you don't NEED to run Windows, how much BETTER the experience can be. This ad will only appeal to Mac-heads that know that the G4 has been seriously weak for years.

- j

dongmin
Jul 16, 2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
Apple needs a compelling commercial showing what you can DO on these machines, why you don't NEED to run Windows, how much BETTER the experience can be. This ad will only appeal to Mac-heads that know that the G4 has been seriously weak for years.

- j

Hmmm, you must have missed the whole Switch campaign. It was all about things you can do and do better with the Mac.

Whatever. Different commercials for different purposes. This one is obviously aimed at power users, pros who defected to PCs because they was faster. It's trying to correct the image that Apple is slow and behind in technology.

thebossisback
Jul 16, 2003, 08:20 AM
I f you want to be realy fair you should show a transexual getting blown out of the house

jayscheuerle
Jul 16, 2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by dongmin
Hmmm, you must have missed the whole Switch campaign. It was all about things you can do and do better with the Mac.

Wrong. It was people mumbling about what they could do with a Mac with quirky music in the background.

Whoop de friggin' doo...

Apple needs to SHOW people how easy it is, not showcase cutesy anecdotes. Show them that OSX is DIFFERENT and BETTER and MORE EFFICIENT at getting their work or play done. They've never even shown OSX's desktop on a commercial! If the Apple experience is so much better, then SHOW THE EXPERIENCE!!

BOOM!! G5 SMASH HOUSE LIKE HULK!! NO LIKE PUNY HUMANS!!

cubist
Jul 16, 2003, 08:48 AM
Apple needs to SHOW people how easy it is, not showcase cutesy anecdotes. Show them that OSX is DIFFERENT and BETTER and MORE EFFICIENT at getting their work or play done. They've never even shown OSX's desktop on a commercial! If the Apple experience is so much better, then SHOW THE EXPERIENCE!!

BOOM!! G5 SMASH HOUSE LIKE HULK!! NO LIKE PUNY HUMANS!!

I agree. This is a stupid commercial. It won't sell computers, it'll just make people say "I'll be sure not to buy THAT!"

jayscheuerle
Jul 16, 2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by cubist
I agree. This is a stupid commercial. It won't sell computers, it'll just make people say "I'll be sure not to buy THAT!"

Yeah, look what it'll do to your house!

yzedf
Jul 16, 2003, 09:30 AM
Pretty lame advert. Just because you can use a rendered product instead of the real deal, doesn't mean you should! :mad:

My fav is the lack of cables behind the tower. :rolleyes:

chubakka
Jul 16, 2003, 09:34 AM
It's an attention grabber... that's all it's supposed to be.

"Check out the New Superfast G5 Mac" is what it's saying.

You can't sell a new product until people know that it exists.

And you can't sell it to people looking at $600 Gateways...

no matter how fast and feature packed... most people just say...
I'll take the CHEAP one. And Apple isn't interested in selling to that market.
Dell and Gateway and Compaq have cornered the market and the PC as commodity. They just want to move product out the door. Design, ease of use, innovation ... all that is completely secondary to them.

I think that the percentage of people who look for the things that apple supplies will always be a smaller percentage of the PC market. Yes Apple needs to grow market share... but I don't think the expect to ever get above 10%... which would be great... tripling their current 2.9%. They have increased their share of the consumer market from 1.9% to 3.5%. They have also more then doubled their share of dollars spent on consumer PCs rose from 2.3% to 5.2%.

So they are doing better in the consumer market. And now that they have the G5... power users have something to be buying without hesitation.

AndrewMT
Jul 16, 2003, 09:56 AM
Do the new beetles have an integrated system where you can plug your ipod into the deck, or do they just give you the crappy radio or cassette kits that enable you to listen to music through the car radio? I've always thought that Apple could reach an even greater music-listening market if they built a sleek iPod deck where you can either slide your ipod in like a memory card or attach the iPod so the face becomes the radio's controls.

kansast
Jul 16, 2003, 10:11 AM
It appears that all that happens before the user even plugs in the computer ? I can't see a single power chord or anything hanging out of that computer or monitor.

Goblin2099
Jul 16, 2003, 10:27 AM
I'm really unimpressed. I can't think of a particular commercial, but this feels like it was trying to copy the slapstick of a bunch of other spots, it's not original at all. Which is a pity, because from Apple you expect originality. I think it's time to hire new PR guys...the old artsy style was okay, but now we know it's just because they can't set up a full scene well.

MhzDoesMatter
Jul 16, 2003, 10:36 AM
For the life of me, I have no idea how anyone can complain about any commercial Apple releases not being good enough. I'm willing to bet most of those complaining are probably new to the fold. Cause you obviously don't remember a time when the only publicity and press we got were bad publicity and press, some from Apple itself.

Commercials that actually fit in with the rest of television, that speak the same language as the market they're going for (power obsessed elitist computer geeks)? Yeah, those are total pointless, uncreative and bound to be totally fruitless. They're not meant to entice u, you already got a mac. They've already suckered you.

How come all the marketing geniuses always thinks a commercial has to actually be good to attract customers? Go find some numbers about the Switch campaign. Hell, how many of us bought our first Macs or returned to the fold by way of the performas because of those horrible 30 minute informercials? (God help me, bad taste and gullible.....)

-Hertz

BTW, how many computer commercials have you seen where they actually showed the myriad cords connected to the minitower? That would be rather unattractive don't u think?

solvs
Jul 16, 2003, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by MhzDoesMatter
For the life of me, I have no idea how anyone can complain about any commercial Apple releases not being good enough. I'm willing to bet most of those complaining are probably new to the fold. Cause you obviously don't remember a time when the only publicity and press we got were bad publicity and press, some from Apple itself.

I remember. I remember "1984". That was a commercial. This new one isn't any dumber than most other computer, electronic, or whatever commercials, but that's the point. It should be smarter. Not boring, just should say more.

As I said earlier, this one is going to be made fun of, mercilessly, by PC users.

As well it should.

chubakka
Jul 16, 2003, 11:09 AM
It's not like there's alot you can say without piling on the ************.

All they need to say is that it's a Mac and it's Powerful. And they did.

It won't make you taller... more appealing to the oppostite sex or cooler.

Say it's the best and you've said all you need to.

The PC crowd had the Dell DUUUUDE and a fricking COW selling PC's... bring it on!

iMark44
Jul 16, 2003, 12:02 PM
The Honda Element and the Saab 9-3 both have a jack for plugging your iPod into. They have commercials showing an iPod in use. Apple should promote that too...not just the VW with an adapter...hell, give away an iPod with all of them

AndrewMT
Jul 16, 2003, 12:36 PM
Can Apple please get someone else besides Jeff Goldblum? How about Clint Eastwood! Now you are talking!

chubakka
Jul 16, 2003, 12:39 PM
He says one line! What's the big deal?

I wouldn't mind hearing Angelina Jolie say the one line though.

jayscheuerle
Jul 16, 2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by chubakka
It's not like there's alot you can say without piling on the ************.

All they need to say is that it's a Mac and it's Powerful. And they did.

It won't make you taller... more appealing to the oppostite sex or cooler.

Say it's the best and you've said all you need to.

The PC crowd had the Dell DUUUUDE and a fricking COW selling PC's... bring it on!

The problem is that most people don't know what a Mac is except for the fact that it isn't the same and isn't compatible with what they've been using for years OR if they think it's the same, they can't understand why anyone would pay so much for a computer when they can get one for half the price.

Saying it's the best is worthless. Everybody does that. Show people why it's the best and maybe they'll understand why Mac users are taller, sexier and cooler.

For years, while defending our underpowered (in comparison to top of the line PCs) G4s, we claimed that it wasn't the speed of the machine, but the user experience that made Macs superior. Let's show that.

Have a series of commercials titled "Photos", "Music" and "Movies", etc. Show how you just plug your camera in, hit one button to publish to your website, one button to print, one to see a slideshow, etc. Show the elegance, the effortlessness of the Mac experience. Who gives a rat's arse if it blows holes in your walls.

All this commercial shows is that Apple is impressed with themselves... a little too much and for the wrong reasons. Anyone who's extremely concerned with pure power has already ditched their Mac for a PC. Everyone who's been hanging onto their Mac in hopes of it getting faster already knows about the G5. Who is this ad targeting?

I'd be surprised if Apple sold a single computer based on this ad... - j

dilg
Jul 16, 2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by yzedf
Pretty lame advert. Just because you can use a rendered product instead of the real deal, doesn't mean you should! :mad:

My fav is the lack of cables behind the tower. :rolleyes:
And did you notice the placement of the desklamp? It's standing UNDERNEATH the desk for what it seems no other purpose but to stylize the G5. Ok, call me weird, but I usually spend more time analyzing interior design then actually paying attention to sitcoms and commercials!

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=421446

AndrewMT
Jul 16, 2003, 02:09 PM
The desk lamp fell down when the guy was shot through the house. Isn't that the Pixar desk lamp?

mkaake
Jul 16, 2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by AndrewMT
The desk lamp fell down when the guy was shot through the house. Isn't that the Pixar desk lamp?

pixar desklamp? don't you mean imac? :o)

seriously, i remember when the lcd imac came out and all mac fans were up in arms about how much we were going to be made fun of for them...

and look what happened.

for goodness sakes, its' a comercial, it does what commercials do. it gets your attention. you would have a harder time finding commercials that meet all of your criteria for what a commercial should be than what it's worth...

matt

chubakka
Jul 16, 2003, 02:39 PM
How could you possibly show all that... you put up software on a screen...
talk about what it does... people will glaze over.

They did the switch campaign... which did exactly what you're tallking about in a different creative manner.

All this ad does and is supposed to do is notify the public. It's an introduction.

The ad has been running all of what? ... one day. After the introduction is over... maybe they'll run different ads. But for now this is what they need.

AndrewMT
Jul 16, 2003, 04:35 PM
I'll take this ad any day over the standard white background and Jeff Goldblum "You're going to want one" deal. Non Uber-Mac geeks will be able to appreciate this mac commercial. We just hold Apple to a higher standard ourselves.

Makosuke
Jul 16, 2003, 05:03 PM
Yes, the ad is rather dumb, a bit silly, and aiming for the lowest common denominator. Good.

That's EXACTLY the kind of ad I've been wanting to see out of Apple for years. The Big/Small ads are pretty darned funny, but I've been waiting for Apple do move away from the sterile, mellow ads and smack the viewing public with something blunt and to the point.

Apple already showed us how cool the iPod is via informational commercials. They mellowly talked about how cool Macs are. But like Microsoft, or IBM, you just can't show off a complex piece of software, much less an OS, in 30 seconds without people completely glossing over--heck, I'm a Mac geek and a non-TV-soundbyter, and I'd gloss over. It just won't work.

What you want to do is make them chuckle and take notice. Then, maybe, the next time they walk by an Apple store, they'll walk in and have a look. Boom.

Like the Dell dude sat around showing off design or how useful their software package was... all he did was be incredibly annoying but likable enough that people paid attention, which is the purpose of an add (paying attention, that is).

Apple is saying "Hey! Boom! Our computers kick ass!" Peroid. Cool.

gopher
Jul 16, 2003, 05:44 PM
My PC coworkers were impressed by the commercial and told me so at work without my saying anything!

MhzDoesMatter
Jul 16, 2003, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't want an OS that could be sufficiently showcased in a 30 second spot.

Apple's commercials have always been too smart. 1984 was too smart. Great commercial, whatever. Only to film/sci-fi/mac geeks. It's about time they stopped preaching to the choir, lowered their standards, and actually market something. Who cares if they're marketing a User Experience, Hardware Innovation, or fabricated perception of speed. Sell the damn computers already.

And stop worrying about what these freaking geniuses think. They already bought Macs. Sell more. Make more money.

-Hertz

Hulk smash? How much money did The Hulk gross in theaters? Am I the only one who thinks it's time Apple became a blockbuster instead of some artsy-sundance-indie-flick?

cr2sh
Jul 16, 2003, 06:18 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it's time Apple became a blockbuster instead of some artsy-sundance-indie-flick?

Yes. The day that all my friends realize how much better my mac is than their pc.. and they run out and buy one, will be bitter sweet. It is currently defined in good and evil, if they buy in... who's the bad guy? When MS goes bankrupt I'll be happy, but the next day I'll wake up and be bored...

Plus, I'd prefer to see smart yet edgy commercials, attacks that are funny... but intelligent. Not just I dunno.. whatever you're suggesting. :)

MhzDoesMatter
Jul 16, 2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by cr2sh
Yes. The day that all my friends realize how much better my mac is than their pc.. and they run out and buy one, will be bitter sweet. It is currently defined in good and evil, if they buy in... who's the bad guy? When MS goes bankrupt I'll be happy, but the next day I'll wake up and be bored...

Plus, I'd prefer to see smart yet edgy commercials, attacks that are funny... but intelligent. Not just I dunno.. whatever you're suggesting. :)

Exactly. Most of peoples responses to these generic, cookie-cutter lowest common denominator commercials is based on some elitist bull crap attitude that we've all developed from being Mac users. (I'm realizing more and more that so many Mac Users are really just reverse conformists, that would probably leave the Mac platform if it ever became more of a popular choice.)

But back to the point, I'll probably become a wandering nomad the day the evil empire is crushed and Supreme Chancellor Jobs takes over the world, just like every other die hard. But dam, Apple needs a larger market share and greater revenue yesterday. And they're not gonna get it catering to our need to be outcasts. Think of the platform.

Or even think of yourself (no stretch there,) and realize that the larger Apple's reach becomes the greater incentive developers would have to write for the platform and greater motivation for Apple to keep improving.

-Hertz

Phil Of Mac
Jul 16, 2003, 09:44 PM
I thought it was a rather clever ad. I think they left unstated (but shouldn't have) the obvious tagline--"It'll blow you away."

Oh, and that guy's at least 20, and so is that girl. Considering their apparent economic status, they are probably both around 25 or 30. A mother-son relationship would cause the woman to be more concerned than she obviously is.

There is a second lamp, which is off, suspended above the Power Mac.

And yes, it does look like the Pixar lamp :)

cr2sh
Jul 16, 2003, 09:45 PM

Or even think of yourself (no stretch there,) and realize that the larger Apple's reach becomes the greater incentive developers would have to write for the platform and greater motivation for Apple to keep improving.

Sure sure, but I dont think the way to get there is through HULK commercials. How much GOOD software is there for windows? I mean seriosuly, if that is the goal.. to have a ton of really bad programmers writing for us than lets go for it... and i wont even get into the conversation about believers and disbelievers.. not after the week ive had.

I enjpy the sommercials, i wish they had a little more bite to them.. but apple is what it is.. you dont **** with perfection.

jayscheuerle
Jul 16, 2003, 10:01 PM
Everybody already has a computer. Most are fast enough to get the job done. They may want to upgrade in the next few years, but these are people that just use what came with the machine. They don't upgrade their OS's. If it works good enough, it works good enough and from what they've heard from their friends, all computers have problems once in a while, things are supposed to be frustrating... "Darn Computer!"...

What does the machine in this ad offer them? Nothing. Maybe some cool visuals. Not a single reason to buy one of these "incompatible" computers by Apple. This is not marketing unless it's a preview to a real ad.

Sure, it gets their attention. So did the "Switch" ads. This ad isn't smart or edgy, or even remotely compelling after the first viewing. It's cute. Friends don't just "realize" that a Mac is better than a PC. They have to experience it and not by walking blindly into a Best-Buy. They need to be shown. Nobody's talking about showcasing an OS in 30 seconds, but even a student director could sum up iPhoto or iTunes in that time and make it look like something worth having.

You don't need to abandon substance to abandon pretension. Even the "lowest common denominator" isn't going to shell out $1700 without a good reason and I see no reasons here...

"He done flied through the air!"
"Hit a tree he did!"
"Duuuuuuude! Look at the hole in that house!"
"Whoa... a computer done blowed up his house with all its meggyhurtz... I is gonna go buy one right now!!"

- 2 weeks later
"I done followed the instructions and I can't get this GEEEE Five to blow up nuttin'... Dat's some falsified advertising."
"Let's go buy a Dell dude... with money left over for some Skittles and some Dew..."

Like hotcakes.... right...

MhzDoesMatter
Jul 17, 2003, 03:50 AM
What does the machine in this ad offer them? Nothing. Maybe some cool visuals. Not a single reason to buy one of these "incompatible" computers by Apple. This is not marketing unless it's a preview to a real ad.

Sure, it gets their attention. So did the "Switch" ads. This ad isn't smart or edgy, or even remotely compelling after the first viewing. It's cute. Friends don't just "realize" that a Mac is better than a PC. They have to experience it and not by walking blindly into a Best-Buy. They need to be shown.

You don't need to abandon substance to abandon pretension. Even the "lowest common denominator" isn't going to shell out $1700 without a good reason and I see no reasons here...

This isn't a substance ad. This is an "Oh *****" ad. You just happen to be watching TV, see this commercial, and chuckle "Oh *****." It's slapstick. It's amusing. And that sticks into your head more than a brief glimpse at an utopian computing experience.

This isn't a complete campaign unto itself. Odds are this is the beginning of a brand image building campaign. All this does is set a foundation for further marketing, simply by leaving that "oh *****" in your head, associated with Apple computers.

And I'm thinking Apple doesn't care about people who think whatever they have is enough when they're marketing their pro-computers. They just shove an ugly eMac or over-priced iMac at them and walk away. (Weee, pretty.) But when it comes to targeting a market for their G5 line, they're looking at people who need the power, or just want it. The latter of which, myself included, pretty much climaxed during the four seconds the computer was actually on the screen.

-Hertz

jayscheuerle
Jul 17, 2003, 08:17 AM
But when it comes to targeting a market for their G5 line, they're looking at people who need the power, or just want it. The latter of which, myself included, pretty much climaxed during the four seconds the computer was actually on the screen.

-Hertz

Exactly. But all these Mac power users already know about the G5 and what kind of power it's bringing to the platform. If by some chance they haven't been keeping up on Apple's progress (and still consider themselves power users?), this ad is no different than the G4 ad with the tank and "supercomputer" line– just more Apple hyperbole.

PC users may think the commercial is cool, but that's around how deep this ad is.

If a commercial introducing a product that you've already known about for weeks (and have probably seen every image on the web and have read every spec and benchmark) gets you to climax, then more power to you! :D

Orome
Jul 17, 2003, 09:01 AM
Alright, I'm pretty sure that everyone has seen this thing by now, but I just quickly scanned all the posts and I didn't see a link to the official page for this ad on apple.com, so here it is in case someone wondering surfer happens by looking for it...

http://www.apple.com/hardware/ads/g5/

BTW, the point of the ad is to stress that this is a fast and powerful machine. It may be a little exaggerated, but I think they got the point across...

jayscheuerle
Jul 17, 2003, 09:25 AM
Imagine how powerful this thing would be if they actually plugged it in! And, it looks like the days of cordless keyboards (and monitors) are upon us!

:p

MhzDoesMatter
Jul 17, 2003, 12:18 PM
Exactly. But all these Mac power users already know about the G5 and what kind of power it's bringing to the platform. If by some chance they haven't been keeping up on Apple's progress (and still consider themselves power users?), this ad is no different than the G4 ad with the tank and "supercomputer" line– just more Apple hyperbole.

I didn't say Mac power users, I said power users. Geezus. I know of a lot of people who need powerful computers to get through their work that don't visit rumor sites, didn't sign up for the eNews and never visit the Apple site. Video pro place bought three xServes, don't know **** else about the platform except their own purchase.

There are Apple users who do real work on their computers. The "power user" distinction (which you introduced, not me.) has little do with how hardcore of a fan and rumor monger you are. I'm on news sites everyday. I've been ranting in this thread religiously. That doesn't make me a Power User, that makes me pathetically fanatical.

-Hertz

jayscheuerle
Jul 17, 2003, 12:57 PM
I didn't say Mac power users, I said power users. Geezus. I know of a lot of people who need powerful computers to get through their work that don't visit rumor sites, didn't sign up for the eNews and never visit the Apple site. Video pro place bought three xServes, don't know **** else about the platform except their own purchase.

There are Apple users who do real work on their computers. The "power user" distinction (which you introduced, not me.) has little do with how hardcore of a fan and rumor monger you are. I'm on news sites everyday. I've been ranting in this thread religiously. That doesn't make me a Power User, that makes me pathetically fanatical.

-Hertz

Exactly. If you don't know anything about the platform, you wouldn't realize how far behind the G4s were. You'd be buying them anyway along normal upgrade cycles. The G5 isn't a big deal to these people. I make my living on a Mac & work with 10 other Mac users, most of whom draw little distinction between G3s and G4s (except for the cases) and have no idea what OSX even is (which is good because they're afraid to mess with my machine!). These people are typical of non-fanatical Mac users. Their machines work and they use them until they don't or someone "upgrades" them. At which point they get upset because the new system doesn't work like the old one did. The 19 or so PC users on my floor know even less about Macs, other than that certain types of files they send us don't come across correctly.

Simply, my deeply buried point is that this commercial does nothing to distinguish the new G5 from the old G4s other than the form factor. Apple has always claimed its computers were fast. This commercial excites you because you understand they type of leap that the G5 is making. Yeah, it's powerful and yeah, you want one, but not because of the commercial, but because you're fanatical.

Geezus yourself! :p

Das
Jul 17, 2003, 01:47 PM
I for one am relieved. With the whacked out design, I thought they were going to do some abstract commercial like a perfume ad. You know, a fat naked guy with a clown hat jumps off a cliff holding a snow globe that contains a frail poodle of discontent repeating the phrase "existential" then a fade to a G5 logo.

jayscheuerle
Jul 17, 2003, 03:04 PM
How about a scene of snow falling against a black background, tilting up to a G5 being used as a cheese grater to make the snow. Fade to black then "Apple Macintosh G5. Christmas comes early this year."

:cool:

AndrewMT
Jul 17, 2003, 08:14 PM
I am so pissed off at the idiocy of this iPod-Bettle deal. Why couldn't Apple and VW have made a custum cd deck for the ipod to slide into? If I bought a new beetle, I wouldn't want the power cord and the cassete cord hanging over the finely detailed interior and the iPod dock filling up my cup holder. I am just amazed that car radio companies have not designed a dock the replaces a car's cd deck. Does the remote output no have enough access/bandwidth to display the ipod menu on another screen when an ipod is slided in the deck?