PDA

View Full Version : Car chargers?

Kingsly
Jun 30, 2007, 11:11 PM
I tried my car charger for iPod and, while the iPhone appears to recognize the charger (the battery icon shows a lightning bolt) the iphone battery never seems to fill up.

Shouldn't it work?

Has anyone used the iPhone chargers sold at the Apple store?

thomasfxlt
Jun 30, 2007, 11:28 PM
I tried my car charger for iPod and, while the iPhone appears to recognize the charger (the battery icon shows a lightning bolt) the iphone battery never seems to fill up.

Shouldn't it work?

Has anyone used the iPhone chargers sold at the Apple store?

I bought the Griffen iJolt. I had it plugged in for a few hours last nite. It definitely charged my battery.

Diode
Jul 1, 2007, 06:03 PM
I use the xtreme mac incharge auto charger

Works perfectly

YoMamasPyjamas
Jul 2, 2007, 11:01 AM
I had the same problem with my car charger. The iPhone recognized it and displayed the lightening bolt as though it was charging, but after a 1 hour car ride, the battery was exactly where it started. I'm pretty sure this is from an older DLO cassette adapter, car charger kit. Pretty bummed if I have to buy a new one...

aricher
Jul 2, 2007, 05:14 PM
My old iPod charger (Belkin) won't work - the iPhone gives me a message saying that the accessory is not made to work with iPhone - bummer.

mac jones
Jul 2, 2007, 05:45 PM
I have a couple of those auto lighter adapters with a USB port on the top.

Haven't tried it but it has to work.

Problem is you really need a second cable if you don't want to carry yours around.

I also have a lighter adapter (firewire) for a gen1 iPod.
But I imagine these are putting out 9V which even though may not burn up the iPhone immediately, would be a very bad idea unless we hear otherwise from apple.

note: USB=5V
firewire=9V

a three volt difference may work but could brick the iPhone after a while (if there's a spike, etc..)

Katmyth
Jul 2, 2007, 06:13 PM
I got the Griffin one in the store on Sat as I had no ipod car charger and it's great for $20. :)

cpgodf
Jul 2, 2007, 10:43 PM
Has anyone tried the Igo charger with the ipod tip for the iphone; does it work or does it just show connected and not charge?

PieMac
Jul 4, 2007, 10:47 AM
I would like to know this too...I have the XtremeMac 12 volt car charger that I bought a year or so ago for my video iPod and it fits the iPhone perfectly but I haven't tried to charge it yet for fear of possibly damaging it. I e-mailed XtremeMac and they say that the circuitry is different between the iPhone and the iPod and they have a different/new charger available specifically for the iPhone...but they also advertise that this new charger works with the iPod as well....seems a bit contradictory to me. Hmmmm.

Cybergypsy
Jul 4, 2007, 11:00 AM
I bought a monster cable on on ebay and will try it when i get it :( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110144481972&rd=1&rd=1 nt bad for 13.99

TydalForce
Jul 4, 2007, 11:27 AM
I bought a monster cable on on ebay and will try it when i get it :( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110144481972&rd=1&rd=1 nt bad for 13.99

I actually just posted a thread asking about that very adapter:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=325119

I'd bet good money that the charging ability will work fine, but please post if the audio out jack works or not! Thanks ;-}

Cybergypsy
Jul 4, 2007, 02:04 PM
I should have it tomorrow.........i will post :)

Ha ze
Jul 4, 2007, 02:50 PM
i got an overpriced Griffen TuneFlex at the Apple store, but I really like it.
It chargers it, but as of right now the audio playback won't wont cause it wasn't designed for an iPhone (software update!)

This is how it sits:
http://images.associatedcontent.com/150_0000018047_0000020584.jpg

some guy actually pulled up next to me the other day and asked "Is that the iPhone?"
wuttacreep

Cybergypsy
Jul 6, 2007, 07:46 PM
By the way the monster works great

Xuff
Jul 13, 2007, 02:17 PM
Cybergypsy: So the line out does work for sure? And it does charge?