PDA

View Full Version : Intel Centrino in iBook

andyduncan
Jul 15, 2003, 11:27 PM
according to the New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/16/business/16PLAC.html) Apple uses an Intel Centrino chip (as if it was a single chip anyway) in their iBooks.

The article clearly shows an iBook with safari opened to the centrino website. Along with a caption that states the notebook "uses Intel's Centrino chip."

lol. I bet that McDonald's is right next to a tobacco field as well...

Schiffi
Jul 15, 2003, 11:38 PM
what's centrino's website?

solvs
Jul 16, 2003, 12:13 AM
Uh, the iBook uses an IBM G3. I'm sure this is just bad use of stock images. Remember when Gateway used a PowerBook with their display ads?

Or someone just makes a laptop that looks remarkably similar.

edit: just looked at the Intel site, and the Centrino part, didn't see what you were talking about.

FredAkbar
Jul 16, 2003, 12:34 AM
I didn't read the article, since I don't want to sign up just to read a NYT article, but it seems that the error was just in the article itself, and not on Intel's Centrino page. So I wouldn't look on the Centrino page for the error.

edit: I ended up signing up anyway, and reading the article, and like others here have mentioned, there's no sign of the iBook or Apple.

pretentious
Jul 16, 2003, 01:15 AM
I don't see the pic in the NYT link, nor does it mention Apple or the iBooks.

So what are you talking about?

hacurio1
Jul 16, 2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by pretentious
I don't see the pic in the NYT link, nor does it mention Apple or the iBooks.

So what are you talking about?

This is what he is talking about.......

MacBandit
Jul 16, 2003, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by solvs
Uh, the iBook uses an IBM G3. I'm sure this is just bad use of stock images. Remember when Gateway used a PowerBook with their display ads?

Or someone just makes a laptop that looks remarkably similar.

edit: just looked at the Intel site, and the Centrino part, didn't see what you were talking about.

Centrino is not the processor. The Centrino name describes the combination of the Intel Pentium-M, the chipset, and an 802.11 card. When all these are put together then the laptop can have the Centrino designation. In other words it doesn't mean anything. You can buy a Pentium-M laptop with the same chipset and without an 802.11 card for much less and then buy your own 802.11 card and have the exact same machine for less money.

Most likely the 802.11 card they use is the same as Apples and that is why they are saying the G3 uses a part of the Centrino hardware.

solvs
Jul 16, 2003, 02:51 AM
Um, yeah, I knew that. I was agreeing with the author of this thread.

andyduncan
according to the New York Times Apple uses an Intel Centrino chip (as if it was a single chip anyway) in their iBooks.
The NYT screwed up, but as I didn't want to sign up with them (and misunderstood the post), I went to Intels site to see if it was in their pics. I thought THEY screwed it up. Now upon seeing this pic, I see what he meant.

Sorry, I should have been more clear.

Apple does use Intel networking chips, but the iBook can, in no way, be called Centrino by any means.

XnavxeMiyyep
Jul 16, 2003, 09:53 AM
They got rid of the image.

Das
Jul 16, 2003, 11:33 AM
Speaking of type-o's, I just got the new Dell brochure and it shocases their new thin laptop, only 8" thin!

Wardofsky
Jul 16, 2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Das
Speaking of type-o's, I just got the new Dell brochure and it shocases their new thin laptop, only 8" thin!

Wow!
That's about half the viewing size of a 15" PB, heh, who carse about that when you can get a computer that's as thick as the person making it...

Abstract
Jul 16, 2003, 12:59 PM
The articles also look different.

Hmmm.....screwy. :confused:

tazo
Jul 16, 2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Das

lol don't you love professional typos? I was on the toshiba website looking around and that new toshiba 17'' laptop, comes with a unbelievable 60 mb hard drive :) i was kind enough to email them about it :)

Daveman Deluxe
Jul 16, 2003, 02:32 PM
What pisses me off about typos is that there's always a disclaimer that says, "Not responsible for typographical errors." Last year at Staples I saw a display up selling the Palm m105 for $64. My dad and I had both been wanting a Palm so we checked into it. There were none in stock but they called us when they came in. Come they did. The first one (dad's) arrived about a week later (don't get me started about Staples' warehousing policy) at the advertised price. The next one that came in was reserved for me and arrived a week and a half later. At that point, one of the higher-ups realized they had sold dad's for $64 and told me that I couldn't get mine for less than $90 (which was the proper price). What BS.

donigian
Jul 16, 2003, 02:53 PM
There's no way Centrino is in an iBook. Centrino requires the Intel Pentium-M processor, the Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 Wi-Fi Radio, and the Intel 855 Chipset. NYT just took a picture of someone using a notebook wirelessly at McDonald's and assumed it was a notebook using Centrino technology. This is no biggie.

Abstract
Jul 16, 2003, 06:52 PM
Nah, they probably just wanted a "nice" looking notebook to be in the picture. ;)

NavyIntel007
Jul 16, 2003, 07:15 PM
Yeah and there are three words for this...

New

York

Times.

Enough said. :cool:

funkywhat2
Jul 16, 2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Wardofsky
Wow!
That's about half the viewing size of a 15" PB, heh, who carse about that when you can get a computer that's as thick as the person making it...

Not to be a pervert or anything (as if I'm not) but someone could really take that the wrong way.:eek:

MrMacMan
Jul 16, 2003, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by NavyIntel007
Yeah and there are three words for this...

New

York

Times.

Enough said. :cool:

Comeon man, they are more honest, that goes on ALL the time the New York Times just stood its ground and was reputable.

Wardofsky
Jul 16, 2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by funkywhat2
Not to be a pervert or anything (as if I'm not) but someone could really take that the wrong way.:eek:

Are you a pervert :D
Nah, you'd have to be really thick :D

Royal Pineapple
Jul 17, 2003, 04:26 AM
well speaking as aphotographer i think that perhaps the person who was told to shoot this was simply told "we need a shot of a laptop using wireless internet for our wireless story" so the photographer delivered and it went to "press" its good to see that the error has been fixed but does it really matter, most users wouldent recognise that as being an ibook running osx they would look at it as being a computer in macdonalds surfing the web.
edit: at least their using safari :D

rt_brained
Jul 17, 2003, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Das
Speaking of type-o's, I just got the new Dell brochure and it shocases their new thin laptop, only 8" thin! That's not a typo.

celaurie
Jul 17, 2003, 06:59 AM
A mix-up with stock photos or wishful thinking on behalf of Intel!?

Gus
Jul 18, 2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit
Centrino is not the processor. The Centrino name describes the combination of the Intel Pentium-M, the chipset, and an 802.11 card. When all these are put together then the laptop can have the Centrino designation. In other words it doesn't mean anything. You can buy a Pentium-M laptop with the same chipset and without an 802.11 card for much less and then buy your own 802.11 card and have the exact same machine for less money.

Most likely the 802.11 card they use is the same as Apples and that is why they are saying the G3 uses a part of the Centrino hardware.

Actually, the way I understand it, Centrino IS a chipset. That is why it was such a big deal, and in order for a manufacturer like Dell to put the label on it, it MUST have the new chipset. That is why the battery life is so much better, and the clock speeds are different than just the regular Pentium-M chipset.

Regards,
Gus

mrjamin
Jul 18, 2003, 05:00 AM
NTL advertise their 1 megabit broadband as 1 megabyte.

Nermal
Jul 18, 2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by Das

I've got an old Dell brochure from 1998, and it's got 5 screenshots, all taken from System 7.5/OS 7.6. To get the timeframe in your head, their "Leading Dell Product" uses the "NEW Intel® 400/100MHz, 350/100MHz or 333/66MHz Pentium® II Processor (with MMX™ Technology)" and the "NEW Intel 440BX Chipset" :D

I had great fun putting the ® and ™ in there...

jefhatfield
Jul 18, 2003, 07:17 AM
long before the pc world had a wireless, small form factor, long lasting laptop, we had the ibook with airport

it's about time the pc world catches on

MacBandit
Jul 18, 2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Gus
Actually, the way I understand it, Centrino IS a chipset. That is why it was such a big deal, and in order for a manufacturer like Dell to put the label on it, it MUST have the new chipset. That is why the battery life is so much better, and the clock speeds are different than just the regular Pentium-M chipset.

Regards,
Gus

The Centrino name can only be placed on the laptop when it has the Pentium-M, the chipset, and the mobility card all together.