PDA

View Full Version : UK beach gets wireless web

iGav
Jul 16, 2003, 06:41 AM
Very kewl... I used to work on this beach when I got fed up being stuck in the office in London.... and now you can get a net connection from it!! wicked!!

linky dink...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3068915.stm

or full article below...

A group of internet enthusiasts have given a new meaning to the expression of surfing on the beach.

They have set up a wireless network in the English seaside town of Brighton so that you can browse the web or read your e-mails while you soak up the sunshine.

The service, called PiertoPier, is being offered free to anyone who has the right gear and relies on volunteers and donations to keep it alive.

"We all live in Brighton and we want to work on the beach," explained Alex Studd of internet provider Moving Edge which is backing the project.

The organisers have been talking about taking the web to the beach for some time.

But it was only some five months ago when they started work on making this into a reality.

The network went into beta testing at the beginning of July and the backers say they expect to have a full service available within a month.

There is growing interest in wireless technology, called wi-fi, which allows people to connect to the internet at broadband speeds without the need to plug in any cables.

Currently there are about 1,000 so-called public hotspots available throughout Europe in places such as airports, cafes and hotel lobbies. In most cases, these charge for a connection.

By contrast, the idea behind PiertoPier is to make the net as free as the air. It is backed by various internet access and software companies in the Brighton area.

These sponsors have paid for the computer hardware and have donated the internet bandwidth, while volunteers provide the necessary support.

All in all, the cost of setting up wi-fi on Brighton beach has been less than 1,000.

"We like to be cost-effective as we can do more," explained Mr Studd. "In a place like Brighton where there is high connectivity, we can write off the cost."

"And the costs are only ever going to go down. The cost of internet connectivity is becoming cheaper by the month so we don't anticipate any problems in the foreseeable future."

It could be that the best day to go to the beach to use the internet is a cloudy day

The organisers of the PiertoPier project see it as the hi-tech equivalent of community radio.

They are part of a community which aims to allow people to go online from anywhere without having to pay costly bills.

The idea of working from the beach has it attractions, but it can also have its dangers, warn experts.

"If you like the net and you like the beach, this is a great combination," said Ian Fogg, wi-fi analyst at Jupiter Research.

"The real problem - apart from the salt, apart from the sand, apart from the water - is that the screens on many of these PDAs and laptops don't work that well in sunlight.

"It could be that the best day to go to the beach to use the internet is a cloudy day."

pivo6
Jul 16, 2003, 07:17 AM
That's cool. I'm for more access to Wi-Fi in public areas, and it's great to see that there are people willig to make it happen.

iGav
Jul 16, 2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by pivo6
That's cool. I'm for more access to Wi-Fi in public areas, and it's great to see that there are people willig to make it happen.

If I was using it, I'd be donating to the cause, it's such a cool idea!! I hope they can keep it going, and that relies alittle on people that use it, not to take the mick and donate something, no matter how small! it all goes in the kitty!!

But what really surprises me is that there's not more of this type of stuff happening in London, all the squares in the west end would be ripe for this kind of deployment...

tazo
Jul 16, 2003, 02:27 PM
That is a really cool idea, I suppose its sort of like that SanFran organization that is setting up wifi chains all over the city. I heard abotu something like that on TSS at one point.

Anyway those lucky UK sunbathers :)

iGav
Jul 17, 2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by tazo
Anyway those lucky UK sunbathers :)

condensed into 7 days...

Apple would need to make a Rain-proof PowerBook to fully make use of this Wi-Fi location, particularly in the UK's 'Rainy Season' that is usually between May and September every year!! heh-heh!

Abstract
Jul 17, 2003, 12:40 PM
The rainy season is year-round. Horrible, horrible weather. ;)

And I don't understand why ISP's would give away internet access when that is exactly what they sell for money? Without money, they'll go out of business. I understand that some people will donate money, but I wonder how much that would cover?

kiwi_the_iwik
Jul 18, 2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by iGAV - from the BBC
"The real problem - apart from the salt, apart from the sand, apart from the water - is that the screens on many of these PDAs and laptops don't work that well in sunlight."

The REAL problem, is, of course, there's NO SAND at Brighton - just lots and lots of uncomfortable pebbles...

That ain't no beach. It's a gravel pit next to water.

:)

iGav
Jul 18, 2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik
The REAL problem, is, of course, there's NO SAND at Brighton - just lots and lots of uncomfortable pebbles...

That ain't no beach. It's a gravel pit next to water.

:)

It's not the pebbles that are the problem, it's the hypodermic needles and used condoms that you should worry about!!

That's of course if you ain't set on fire by the arsonists first!! heh-heh!! :p :p :p

kiwi_the_iwik
Jul 18, 2003, 09:52 AM
I wonder if they got rid of all that broken glass that was left over from last summer when Fat Boy Slim played on the beach?

...Such a nice place to take kids...

:rolleyes:

iGav
Jul 18, 2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik
I wonder if they got rid of all that broken glass that was left over from last summer when Fat Boy Slim played on the beach?

...Such a nice place to take kids...

:rolleyes:

It's not the cleanest of beaches at the best of times, and some of the stuff that people get up to on there in the middle of the day, is iffy to say the least!! :rolleyes: :eek: :p

mactastic
Jul 18, 2003, 04:11 PM
Usually when I go to the beach, I've got better things to do than check email, or *gasp* even MacRumors! But since my back deck, with AE reception, is only about 2 blocks up from the beach I can see why people would enjoy getting out there. I wonder if I could get reception from my AE down there... I'd need one of those special pringles can's for sure, but I might have internet access at the beach already!