Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BobbyDigital

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Hi everyone...

I love my iPhone so far... the only problems I've had are the low speaker / call volumes, and the chrome getting scratched.

I'm writing this post to warn about how easily the chrome can be scratched. I didn't want to get a case at first (and still would rather not)... so I've been carrying the iPhone in my pocket since I got it.

Well, I was cleaning the fingerprints off my iPhone today with my shirt, and I noticed that some marks on the chrome were not coming off... and upon closer inspection, I discovered that the whole chrome ring had scratches all over it.

I have no idea how this happened. I've been super careful. I'm assuming that I had some grit or sand in my pocket or something. Even so, I just want to warn people about the chrome around the edge as it seems to be prone to scratching.

Anyone else have scratches on their iPhone yet?

brasscat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Nope not yet (luckily)... It's been in my keyless pocket ever since I got it. I'm going to get a protector, though, just in case.

BobbyDigital

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
I read a review of Ice Creme iPod Scratch Remover recently, and it seems to take scratches out of the iPod's chrome... I'm thinking about trying this out on my iPhone's chrome ring.

Anyone ever use this stuff?

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
I've been treating my iPhone like crap, and the chrome looks perfect...

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I have been extra careful and my chrome has scratches too. This is very disappointing. Has anyone tried that chrome stuff on the phone yet?

BobbyDigital

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
I have been extra careful and my chrome has scratches too. This is very disappointing. Has anyone tried that chrome stuff on the phone yet?

Do you know how yours got scratched?

I'm beginning to think mine was scratched from the get-go and I was just too amazed by the phone to notice it until my initial excitement wore off.

I think I'm gonna try that Ice Creme stuff, it's gotten good reviews for taking scratches out of iPods' chrome backs.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Mine had to be from the get go too. Mine has it worst on the chrome that faces the front of the phone. Let me know how that creme works?

BobbyDigital

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Mine had to be from the get go too. Mine has it worst on the chrome that faces the front of the phone. Let me know how that creme works?

Mines exactly the same way... there is only one small scratch on the outer portion of the ring, but on the part that is facing the front of the phone, it is scratched all around the top and left side of the phone.

If I use that Ice Creme stuff, I will definitely write up a review for using it on an iPhone.

It seems weird that we both have scratches on the chrome facing the front of the phone... I wonder if it was something that happened during manufacturing? Anyone else see anything on their iPhones?

BobbyDigital

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about, here are some photos of the mysterious scratches on the chrome.

Please note that the screen just has some fingerprint smears on it, those aren't scratches.

Attachments

• iphonescratch1.JPG
    iphonescratch1.JPG
    126.6 KB · Views: 176
  • iphonescratch2.JPG
    iphonescratch2.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 155
  • iphonescratch3.JPG
    iphonescratch3.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 169

chiefillini

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL.
I just bought the incase model tn563LL/A. One of the mac sales guys had it and looked awesome. Doesn't take away from the screen at all but protects the back and sides.

BobbyDigital

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
I just bought the incase model tn563LL/A. One of the mac sales guys had it and looked awesome. Doesn't take away from the screen at all but protects the back and sides.

Yeah I like that case too, I just hate having to take off a case all the time to dock my ipod... I will probably end up getting one anyways, but I still want to remove these scratches first

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Yeah the scratches are pretty annoying esp consdering such light use with the phone. I need a screen protector because I am not a fan of any of the cases.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
There is a possibly of different rings, whether material or manufacture. My chrome ring looks great still. I do not have a case and it sit in my pocket. I did remove everything else from the pocket though.

BobbyDigital

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006

metanoia

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006

Kurt Hustle

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2007
I had the same prob...I bought a generic holster for the iphone...I like being able to take it in and out quite easy...in fact i got this one below. After a few days I noticed some scratches in the chrome where it snaps in on the bottom. I ordered skins from BSE cause it said total body protection for my iphone, unfort. this is the ONE area the skins do not cover...any shield for this ring of chrome???

8f32_2.JPG

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
I just dropped iPhone for the first time. I of course started to cry, and when I picked up iPhone it did have a little scratching on the chrome. You know what though? It gives it character. That and I have a weird looking speck of something on the back of my iPhone, so no worries about it getting confused in a pile of iPhones. If that ever happens. Not sure why it would.

SDiPhone

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2007
Apple the problem, not the Incase?

Has anyone stopped to think that Apple may have shipped out the iPhone with scratches already on them? The moment I opened my iphone I noticed hairline scratches on the chrome. I bought the Incase and loved it ever since. The scratches have not gotten worse at all which tells me the case is not the problem. I have a hard time believing the case is causing the scratches. I think apple simply had production issues with the chrome and people are just noticing it after reading bad reviews on the incase, removing the case and finding the scratches. If the case stretches, I have found it very useful to run it under hot water. The incase tends to fit very slug again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.