Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Navintar

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2006
California
I did get a pre-scratched iPhone. The scratch is so small but not in the chrome bezel part but at the metal back of the iPhone. It is possible that this could happen during production or packaging.

However, I do believe that some of the cases, especially incase rubber mold and belkin clear case, do cause abrasion at the bezel. If the surface of the case that touch the chrome part is somewhat solid, any tints and dusts between the case and the body may work as a sand paper.

I did notice a few small scratches after 3 days of using the incase rubber case. Now my iPhone is naked and there is no scratch ever since. I'm still waiting for the Bestskinever shipment.

ecks618

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
NYC
Its just a scratches, I have scratches on my breitling watch and it cost more than 6 times what the iPhone cost. Everything scratches eventually, its life, the more you worry about it and look it, the more its gonna bother you and the more scratches your gonna get.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Its just a scratches, I have scratches on my breitling watch and it cost more than 6 times what the iPhone cost. Everything scratches eventually, its life, the more you worry about it and look it, the more its gonna bother you and the more scratches your gonna get.

Yes! It gives your iPhone character, after all.

Also, I bought the inCase protector. Guess what? The protector itself actually scratches the iPhone's chrome. So, I don't think you can avoid it.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I had this case for the last 3 weeks or so and Im pretty sure its the cause of my chrome getting scratched because it attracts so much dust

Yeah, the rubber cases are accused of attracting dust and trapping them between the inner walls of the case and the outer shell of the iPhone. While the rubber/silicone itself doesn't scratch the trim, large dust/dirt particles can. This doesn't affect the glass front or metal backing much, but the chrome is very susceptible to scratching this way.

I'm still keeping my inCase rubber casing though. The packaging warns that if you don't regularly clean the case and the iPhone exterior, scratching will be a problem. Every other day, I just remove the case, blow out any dust with an air duster, and then wipe down the exterior of the phone and the interior of the case (including the rim that comes in contact with the chrome).

But sadly, that's the nature of chrome plating. i have a chrome plated Cross Ion pen that I've tried to keep pristine, and it's got scratches all over it. The thing about it is, you only really notice it if you look carefully for it. Most people aren't going to carefully examine your iPhone for cosmetic flaws like this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.