PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases Leopard 9A466 (WWDC Build) to ADC Members

MacRumors
Jul 2, 2007, 08:43 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple is finally seeding the WWDC version of Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) to online ADC members (http://developer.apple.com/) (Select or Premier). Previously, the most recent version of Leopard was only available to developers who attended WWDC.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2007/07/02/leopard_300.png

Apple previewed a "feature complete" version of Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) at WWDC and demonstrated many of the new Leopard features, including new Desktop (http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/desktop.html), Finder (http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/finder.html), Quicklook (http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/quicklook.html), Time Machine (http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/timemachine.html), Spaces (http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/spaces.html) and more (http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/).

The version being distributed is the exact same build as the one distributed on DVD to WWDC members. Leopard is expected to be released in October of this year.

ventro
Jul 2, 2007, 08:47 PM
Leopard needs liquid scrolling like the iphone.

Genghis Khan
Jul 2, 2007, 08:49 PM
hmmm...i was going to torrent it, but i didn't want to make my desktop any less secure and my laptop would run out of battery way to fast...remember guys it's 6GB of torrenting you're looking at....LOOOONNNNG TIIIIIMMMME

twoodcc
Jul 2, 2007, 08:49 PM
awesome! do these members get access to the server version as well?

NewbieNerd
Jul 2, 2007, 09:06 PM
awesome! do these members get access to the server version as well?

Yep, that's up too. I'm downloading the non-server version now. YAY! :) Hopefully it's stable enough to run and develop on.

backsidetailsli
Jul 2, 2007, 09:08 PM
how do you install it? would i have to get rid of my current os with all my apps?

kretzy
Jul 2, 2007, 09:09 PM
I don't really care all that much, but I'm just happy to see something other than iPhone related things on the front page! :D

MajorTom
Jul 2, 2007, 09:11 PM
I have a question for anyone using the Leopard beta:

Apple has stated during Tiger that NetInfo is a legacy technology that they intend to move away from... and from a screenshot of the utilities folder in Leopard i see that NetInfo Manager application is no longer included... it appears to have been replaced with the Directory & Directory Utility applications.

So my questions are:

1. Where can the Root user be enabled in the GUI ? It used to be enabled via NetInfo, can it be done from one of these Directory applications ?

2. I like to move my home folder to a second internal HD. NetInfo was the easiest way for me to do this using the GUI... how can this be done in Leopard ? again can it be done using one of the Directory applications ?

3. A more general question to anyone who knows a bit about the subject - What if any new features have been added to Networking and Directory like applications to make Leopard more compatible with windows based network environments ?

hyperpasta
Jul 2, 2007, 09:11 PM
I don't really care all that much, but I'm just happy to see something other than iPhone related things on the front page! :D

I couldn't agree more! Here's to Leopard!

Peace
Jul 2, 2007, 09:13 PM
It's about frackin time..Better late than never though I suppose.:)

maverick808
Jul 2, 2007, 09:19 PM
1. Where can the Root user be enabled in the GUI ? It used to be enabled via NetInfo, can it be done from one of these Directory applications ?

No, but you can sudo passwd in terminal.

Alloye
Jul 2, 2007, 09:24 PM
Downloading now. It's been very difficult not to grab this from an "alternative source" over the past few weeks. :D

iMeowbot
Jul 2, 2007, 09:25 PM
It's natural to be curious, but this isn't a good place to ask for details. People who should have access to the software would be painting big red targets on themselves for breaking their NDAs, and people who shouldn't have the software would be painting equally big red targets on themselves for swiping it.

UpLeft
Jul 2, 2007, 09:26 PM
I couldn't agree more! Here's to Leopard!

Me too. It would be great to hear some Apple news about the Macs. I for one and looking for some iMac updates.

martijn.s
Jul 2, 2007, 09:34 PM
No, but you can sudo passwd in terminal.

how can u sudo, if there is no root ?

sandyf
Jul 2, 2007, 09:35 PM
Imagine a 'swoosh" tablet like design w/a 20 - 24" footprint that lays horizontal on your desk with all the capabilities of the iPhone. No external keyboard or mouse. So clean and logical...the next step?

backsidetailsli
Jul 2, 2007, 09:39 PM
Imagine a 'swoosh" tablet like design w/a 20 - 24" footprint that lays horizontal on your desk with all the capabilities of the iPhone. No external keyboard or mouse. So clean and logical...the next step?

there would be a rise of back/neck problems due to looking down at it and using it

cowm007
Jul 2, 2007, 09:41 PM
Party time! Time to play with the new UI and figure out what versions of integrated software they have included to get work's network ready for October.

MajorTom
Jul 2, 2007, 09:42 PM
It's natural to be curious, but this isn't a good place to ask for details. People who should have access to the software would be painting big red targets on themselves for breaking their NDAs, and people who shouldn't have the software would be painting equally big red targets on themselves for swiping it.

Yes i totally agree... and there's 300 more interesting questions i could have asked lol but the question about moving the home folder inparticular is something that im really curious about. Surely someone could tell me if it is still easy to do using the GUI - without necessarily revealing any unreleased features ? ;)

(well how could you respect me if i didnt try ?! lol :p )

MajorTom
Jul 2, 2007, 09:44 PM
how can u sudo, if there is no root ?

Theres always a Root user in a unix OS and u can always enable the root password using the Terminal (CLI), but in Tiger you could also enable it using the GUI with the NetInfo Manager application... this was the easiest way for some users.

lamina
Jul 2, 2007, 09:45 PM
When they use the word "seed", do they mean that Apple releases a private torrent to developers?

sandyf
Jul 2, 2007, 09:48 PM
there would be a rise of back/neck problems due to looking down at it and using it

Funny, that's the problem I get with the current vertical screen. Also consider that we all still read & write in a horizontal format...very comfortable for me.

miketcool
Jul 2, 2007, 09:48 PM

I can tell you from virtually all of the applications I use, taking up precious screen space with input devices is not cool. I enjoy being able to visualize everything as I manipulate them when I am doing design work. I enjoy using a Cintiq on occasion, but after 8 hours of staring down and moving a pen, I'm exhausted. I could model in Maya for days with my mouse and nothing more.

The logical step for portable computers is to make them lighter, faster, longer running, more durable and more compatable with wireless syncing features. A tablet I have to get vertigo and tired using is not the future but more a pipe dream as many tablet makers have learned the hard way. However, a device that is like a large iPhone with a manipulative screen for people with disabilities is a real possiblity.

rocklobzter31
Jul 2, 2007, 09:49 PM
Can someone explain how you exactly can do this?

I logged in with my itunes account and it let me in.

What do i do next??

Eric Lewis
Jul 2, 2007, 10:05 PM

What do i do next??

u have to have a adc account....that costs 1grand

guzhogi
Jul 2, 2007, 10:08 PM

What do i do next??

Apple is finally seeding the WWDC version of Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) to online ADC members (Select or Premier).

Are you a Select/Premier member? If not, you're out of luck (Select is $500/year, Premier is something like $3500/year). If you are, go to "Downloads" and it'll pop up. Just click on the link for the DMG file. Then use Disk Utility to burn it to a DL DVD. It'll probably be on a torrent someplace by tomorrow, if you want to go the illegal way. ;)

guzhogi
Jul 2, 2007, 10:09 PM
u have to have a adc account....that costs 1grand

Actually, Select is $500, Premier is like $3500

sandau
Jul 2, 2007, 10:14 PM
It'll probably be on a torrent someplace by tomorrow, if you want to go the illegal way. ;)

that already happened a couple of weeks ago.

not much to see, move along.

inkswamp
Jul 2, 2007, 10:14 PM
Huh? What is this "Leopard" thing and what does it have to do with the iPhone?

:D :D :D :D :D

nattyD
Jul 2, 2007, 10:18 PM
Finally! It's taken them long enough to stick that up there. Seriously, WWDC was a long time ago and its only just up. Anyway I'm downloading it now. Too bad that I missed WWDC this year. Stuck in Australia.

It's pretty. But thats about it. There isnt that much really new and useful features, altho things like quick look will work its way into what I do everyday.

Anyways hopefully we can expect more bug fixes and the like in the comming weeks/months.

BKKbill
Jul 2, 2007, 10:53 PM
It's so nice to be reading something about computing. Keep up the good work.

smitty078
Jul 2, 2007, 10:59 PM

Apple has stated during Tiger that NetInfo is a legacy technology that they intend to move away from... and from a screenshot of the utilities folder in Leopard i see that NetInfo Manager application is no longer included... it appears to have been replaced with the Directory & Directory Utility applications.

So my questions are:

2. I like to move my home folder to a second internal HD. NetInfo was the easiest way for me to do this using the GUI... how can this be done in Leopard ? again can it be done using one of the Directory applications ?

3. A more general question to anyone who knows a bit about the subject - What if any new features have been added to Networking and Directory like applications to make Leopard more compatible with windows based network environments ?

1) The only way i have found to enable root is to boot from the install cd and use the change password utility to change the password of root.

2) There is no equivalent of NetInfo Manager in Leopard. You will have to figure out an alternate way of doing this. Perhaps a symlink?

3) I have noticed that there is exchange support in mail and ical. There is also improved support for windows file sharing and printer sharing (for one thing it is implemented seamlessly into the sharing preferences, as opposed to being "Windows File Sharing"

aLoC
Jul 2, 2007, 11:13 PM
Finally another Leopard build. It's been ages...

korndog2003
Jul 2, 2007, 11:19 PM
I got it!!!!! Waiting on mbp to ship :)

liberty4all
Jul 2, 2007, 11:19 PM
iPhone 10.4 or 10.5 based? Will the core of it be open-sourced, as it is a stripped down version?

anyone heard?

Iroganai
Jul 2, 2007, 11:38 PM
I don't understand why people need to enable root.
To do some `root' stuff, you don't need to `su root',
all you have to do is to include yourself in the sudoers
(or set yourself as an administrator in System Preferences).
Then just typing sudo rm -rf / and giving YOUR password
deletes everything !

Could you give me some example when it's necessary to set the password to root ?

iMeowbot
Jul 2, 2007, 11:52 PM
I don't understand why people need to enable root.
To do some `root' stuff, you don't need to `su root',

Right, and if you are an sudoer you can simply use sudo sh, no need to give the account a password.

As a general note, it would be wise to take any statements seen on forums about features missing from or present in Leopard with a grain of salt. Misunderstandings tend to flow freely as 'fact', and features present today may or may not be exactly the same as what appears in the final shipping product. This is one of the reasons why prerelease software is often confidential, it can give potential buyers the wrong impression.

Capn_Moho
Jul 2, 2007, 11:54 PM
Could you give me some example when it's necessary to set the password to root ?

Well, if you want to login to Mac OS X as root, for example. There's nothing like installing hoards of software without typing your password a million times. (LaCie, for example, has a ghetto driver PKG that doesn't request authentication before installing the driver. I could have installed it through the terminal. But it was easier to log in as root.)

I think it's a personal preference. Some just don't like sudo.

ventro
Jul 3, 2007, 12:24 AM
iPhone is 10.5 based, just because of all the crazy core animation stuff.

ortuno2k
Jul 3, 2007, 12:32 AM
Good sign that Apple still cares about us who enjoy their software and Macs.

ethernet76
Jul 3, 2007, 01:29 AM
hmmm...i was going to torrent it, but i didn't want to make my desktop any less secure and my laptop would run out of battery way to fast...remember guys it's 6GB of torrenting you're looking at....LOOOONNNNG TIIIIIMMMME

It's also unstable. Very unstable. iChat crashes a lot, sleep didn't work, and dashboard crashed about half the time I pulled it up. Also OpenGL performance is half that of 10.4.

I did an archive and install. Trying an erase and install to see if that's better.

Edit: Erase and install is a lot better. Things I just noticed. System preferences isn't in the dock on default. Spaces defaults to a Mac OS blue desktop background when using the expose-style F8 button. Stacks are either the curved view or the grid view based on how many items are in the stack, no way to force one or the other. Sleep does work, just not as quickly as Tiger. Battery life seems around the same. 4:10 with lcd dimmed to the lowest and just letting the computer sit doing nothing(Macbook CD). OpenGL seems to have gotten a huge boost. Same macbook ran a 266 in an xBench OpenGl test. I don't think that's right and it might have something to do with not running a full test.

DoFoT9
Jul 3, 2007, 02:17 AM
so hows it performing???? nice and stable or still a bit buggy ???

EDIT:aah i see the guy above kinda answered that 4 me

rickster2k
Jul 3, 2007, 04:01 AM
Can anyone speculate when in October Leopard will be released? I've heard towards the end, so on that I would estimate 29 - 30th (Mon/Tues).

ampd
Jul 3, 2007, 07:37 AM
I can speculate heh. I think Apple will release Leopard on the second tuesday of Oct. which is the 9th. I have absolutely nothing to back that up with besides the current state of the build (bugs, features that need completion, refinement), the iphone's released which means the company will be able to focus on their new deadline. I believe that Apple gave themselves a large amount of breathing room when they gave the Oct. release month and think that the release should take place in early to mid Oct.

DoFoT9
Jul 3, 2007, 07:46 AM
I can speculate heh. I think Apple will release Leopard on the second tuesday of Oct. which is the 9th. I have absolutely nothing to back that up with besides the current state of the build (bugs, features that need completion, refinement), the iphone's released which means the company will be able to focus on their new deadline. I believe that Apple gave themselves a large amount of breathing room when they gave the Oct. release month and think that the release should take place in early to mid Oct.

mmmnnn id say thats a fairly good estimate. anytime before than is a blessing. i surely hope its worth it !!! all i really want is spaces :) great app. oh and the rest of the stuff aswell, thats good too :P

ImAlwaysRight
Jul 3, 2007, 07:49 AM
Maybe Apple will put Leopard on the new iMacs ... that would be sweet, even if it were a prerelease version. Then when Leopard is released in OCT it would simply be a software update to get the final release version.

Then again, maybe they won't do this... :o

overcast
Jul 3, 2007, 08:14 AM
Maybe Apple will put Leopard on the new iMacs ... that would be sweet, even if it were a prerelease version. Then when Leopard is released in OCT it would simply be a software update to get the final release version.

Yeh that makes total sense, let's release a developer release of a beta OS on a production line of machines. *smacks forehead*

tmoney468
Jul 3, 2007, 08:15 AM
Too bad this isn't available to student developers...Anyone know if student developers will get the final Leopard OS shipped when it's released? I've read on some other forums that we would.

pcguru83
Jul 3, 2007, 08:30 AM

Wow. Just...wow. :rolleyes:

oogje
Jul 3, 2007, 09:13 AM
Well, if you want to login to Mac OS X as root, for example. There's nothing like installing hoards of software without typing your password a million times. (LaCie, for example, has a ghetto driver PKG that doesn't request authentication before installing the driver. I could have installed it through the terminal. But it was easier to log in as root.)

I think it's a personal preference. Some just don't like sudo.

I think logging into the window manager as root is fraught with problems. There are things happening there that aren't immediately obvious and that's not a good thing when you're root. One minor example is littering the file system with root owned .DS_Store files which will bite you later.

starnox
Jul 3, 2007, 09:22 AM
It has some nice features.

Network System Preferences has been greatly improved.

Software Updates are a lot better. It logs you out when installing to stop all those awful bugs, when people where editing files with software update was installing.

Printing is also a LOT better.

Among other things Leopard is going to be good :)

Digital Skunk
Jul 3, 2007, 09:53 AM
Now that the iPhone is out and complete maybe Apple can put more attention on Leopard and we can actually get it on time. Hopefully earlier.

nomore
Jul 3, 2007, 10:51 AM
I hate the 3D Dock. It takes up too much space. They have a big gap under the icons just to show the reflection. If you shrink the dock, due to the size of the gap, the icons become too small even though the dock is about the size you want it to be. Also, because it is "3D"... it looks a lot more cluttered and messy than the 2D dock.

I haven't found a way to turn off the translucent menu bar either. If you have a busy background, then it becomes very hard to read the text on the menu bar.

New Finder is a good improvement in terms of UI and network drives.

Boot time is 2-3 times longer than Tiger (17" MacBook Pro CD with 2GB RAM), but I suspect this is probably due to logging.

It's a good improvement over 9A410, but still far from finished IMO.

Maccus Aurelius
Jul 3, 2007, 12:08 PM
I hate the 3D Dock. It takes up too much space. They have a big gap under the icons just to show the reflection. If you shrink the dock, due to the size of the gap, the icons become too small even though the dock is about the size you want it to be. Also, because it is "3D"... it looks a lot more cluttered and messy than the 2D dock.

I haven't found a way to turn off the translucent menu bar either. If you have a busy background, then it becomes very hard to read the text on the menu bar.

New Finder is a good improvement in terms of UI and network drives.

Boot time is 2-3 times longer than Tiger (17" MacBook Pro CD with 2GB RAM), but I suspect this is probably due to logging.

It's a good improvement over 9A410, but still far from finished IMO.

Nice to see the improvements so far. I'm looking forward to it.

Because I'm on a macbook, I don't have much real estate to play with so I hide the dock. If it can still be hidden then the qualms with the 3D are a non-issue for me.

0racle
Jul 3, 2007, 01:04 PM
Software Updates are a lot better. It logs you out when installing

That doesn't sound better to me at all.

macUser2007
Jul 3, 2007, 01:11 PM
Tons of permissions issues, which I was unable to repair from the install disk. These in turn affected the keychain in ways that could drive one crazy (constantly asking for permission.) Similar permission problems with stuff like FontExplorer. LittleSnitch doesn't work and Apple's implementation of a firewall is not nearly as good.

FrontRow is improved, it is black like ATV now, and it can actually see Video_ts files, but no art. Similarly for DIVX (must install own codecs.) Vista's MCE front-end UI still makes FronRow look a bit primitive, even if it's too busy. Apple is missing an opportunity here, imo. Video quality is improved, but still not as good as that of the better codecs available for Windows. FrontRow crashed a few times during the time I played with it.

The dock is..., whatever. I actually like seeing network drives mounted on the desktop - Leopard has removed this. Search functions are better.

Overall, I like the look, but I have my doubts Leopard will be ready and bug-free by October.

Fukui
Jul 3, 2007, 04:04 PM

IMO.

Please file bugs on this, I am. Its the only way they will listen...

heffeque
Jul 3, 2007, 04:23 PM
Overall, I like the look, but I have my doubts Leopard will be ready and bug-free by October.

ARGH! I hope not! :eek: :(

Fukui
Jul 3, 2007, 04:34 PM
ARGH! I hope not! :eek: :(

Yea, the improvements in usability are huge, but the graphics are.... blah. Its very grey... I just find myself booting into tiger and appreciating how much 'happier' everything looks compared to leopard which is a bit drab. (As screen shots can attest to)

Capn_Moho
Jul 3, 2007, 05:04 PM
I think logging into the window manager as root is fraught with problems. There are things happening there that aren't immediately obvious and that's not a good thing when you're root. One minor example is littering the file system with root owned .DS_Store files which will bite you later.

It's not for the faint of heart, yes. But the .DS_Store files, if they didn't exist already, are created with appropriate group and permissions.

I mention the GUI only as an example, since I use sudo 99.9% of the time. (I had to enable the root user for the LaCie install.) If you know what you're doing and are comfortable with the potential consequences, there's no problem with root.

So on a single-user machine, there's no more danger with su root than sudo. If someone hacks my machine, I assume they're going to swab the logs anyway. And sudo doesn't protect the clumsy, who carelessly typed "sudo rm -rf * \(Mac\ OS\ 9\)" in the days before Mac OS X had a clean install option.

Capn_Moho
Jul 3, 2007, 05:06 PM
the graphics are.... blah. Its very grey... I just find myself booting into tiger and appreciating how much 'happier' everything looks

I love it. It's so neutral. The interface is finally is second to why we use computers: to get stuff done. Edward Tufte says that an OS should get out of your way and that's exactly what 10.5 does.

Except for Time Machine.

And it's a huge contrast to the darker, shiny eye candy on steroids that is Vista.

Fukui
Jul 3, 2007, 05:25 PM
I love it. It's so neutral. The interface is finally is second to why we use computers: to get stuff done. Edward Tufte says that an OS should get out of your way and that's exactly what 10.5 does.

Except for Time Machine.

And it's a huge contrast to the darker, shiny eye candy on steroids that is Vista.

Right, well, I don't mind the subtleness, I just don't like how its so gloomy. If it were a little brighter, then I wouldn't have a complaint.....except for that menu bar.....

Capn_Moho
Jul 3, 2007, 05:28 PM
Right, well, I don't mind the subtleness, I just don't like how its so gloomy. If it were a little brighter, then I wouldn't have a complaint.....except for that menu bar.....

I see your point. I might have liked it even more if they had made it the shade of Tiger's mail. And I'm not sure about the menu bar either.

Fukui
Jul 3, 2007, 05:33 PM
I see your point. I might have liked it even more if they had made it the shade of Tiger's mail. And I'm not sure about the menu bar either.

Yea, mail was perfect in that regard.... I wonder why it is that whatever iTunes ends up doing UI-wise, the rest of iLife, then the OS follows...

patseguin
Jul 3, 2007, 06:59 PM
Anyone daring enough to run it as main OS?

macUser2007
Jul 3, 2007, 07:58 PM
Anyone daring enough to run it as main OS?

I did. Mainly because I had been meaning to reinstall the OS on my Intel iMac forever (had an years-old drive image transfered on it.)

Too many problems for daily use, in my experience. Some essential to me apps don't work. Permissions are screwed up (run Disk Utility and it keeps telling you that it can't correct dev permissions because access is denied.) This screws up Keychain. FontExplorer will not start (with a permissions message.) And so on.

My personal hope was that I can switch to the new FronRow from Vista MCE for my HT, but after seeing it, I don't think it's going to cut it. It improves on the initial FronRow, but it's still way too limited ("simple" is good, but this is more like "stripped".) Amazing that Apple wants to be in the living room, but doesn't provide (direct) input for stuff like subtitles. We do watch movies with subtitles sometimes, you know. And hey, most of us use universal remotes, so no need to be so faithful to, and limited by, the little Apple remote:-)

Anyway, I just installed Tiger back as the daily OS.

DoFoT9
Jul 3, 2007, 08:05 PM

just get a brighter desktop background :)

Peace
Jul 3, 2007, 08:11 PM
Just out of curiosity have any of the above people actually downloaded it "legally" from the ADC site and been a real developer and read the seed notes?

If so you should know about what the known problems are.

bankshot
Jul 3, 2007, 08:56 PM
Right, and if you are an sudoer you can simply use sudo sh, no need to give the account a password.

Or even better, just sudo -s.

I have to agree that enabling the root user is never, ever necessary. Having it completely disabled is one of the few things Mac OS X got right with respect to default user privileges. If only they'd handled administrator privileges as well...

It doesn't matter if you're the most experienced guru on the planet - everyone mistypes or clicks on the wrong thing by accident from time to time. Running stuff as root is asking for trouble. Even when I need to get a shell via sudo, I get in, do my business, and get out. Anything more is not only asking for trouble, it's living life on the edge. Fine if you like it that way, but please don't encourage others to do the same who may not know any better. :rolleyes:

Back to Leopard...

bankshot
Jul 3, 2007, 09:13 PM
Amazing that Apple wants to be in the living room, but doesn't provide (direct) input for stuff like subtitles. We do watch movies with subtitles sometimes, you know.

Yeah, it's frustrating that FrontRow doesn't handle ripped VIDEO_TS folders from DVDs. This would solve the subtitle problem and many others. I did have some pretty good success with DVDAssist (easily found with google), but it hasn't compelled me to get the Mac mini I was thinking about for a HTPC yet. I was kinda hoping Leopard's FrontRow would include this feature, but definitely not holding my breath. It's really too bad.

If Apple wants to dominate in the living room, they need to give us iTunes for movies. Not just the video features iTunes has now, but the ability to rip DVDs, keeping all menus, subtitles, etc intact, plus a nice FrontRow interface to it all. I doubt that'll ever happen, though. Unlike in music, where ripping CDs is accepted as legal exercise of fair use rights, ripping DVDs is muddled by the encryption and US law. Steve Jobs has already made comments to the effect that he doesn't see movies the same way as music, which is utterly ridiculous and only pandering the movie studios who have the law on their side (and Disney who owns Jobs' other company!).

Too bad.

And hey, most of us use universal remotes, so no need to be so faithful to, and limited by, the little Apple remote:-)

Right, that's exactly what learning remotes are for. Mine picked up the Apple remote's codes without any trouble.

zorneatsham
Jul 3, 2007, 10:22 PM
I'm curious about third part apps that use brushed metal. What do they look like in Leopard? I have played with some brushed metal apps in Interface Builder to aqua-ify them, but some come out looking horrible. Will developers have to redo their UIs or will they continue to be brushed metal in Leopard?

Capn_Moho
Jul 4, 2007, 01:37 AM
I'm curious about third part apps that use brushed metal. What do they look like in Leopard? I have played with some brushed metal apps in Interface Builder to aqua-ify them, but some come out looking horrible. Will developers have to redo their UIs or will they continue to be brushed metal in Leopard?

There is only one UI. Everything looks like iTunes 7.3.

solvs
Jul 4, 2007, 02:03 AM
Just out of curiosity have any of the above people actually downloaded it "legally" from the ADC site and been a real developer and read the seed notes?

Don't know about them, but I downloaded it legally. Didn't read the notes though. For those wondering, it's awesome. But very buggy. Very buggy.

macUser2007
Jul 4, 2007, 02:05 AM
....Right, that's exactly what learning remotes are for. Mine picked up the Apple remote's codes without any trouble.

Hm, the idea is that in the damned Vista MCE, I can change aspect ratio, turn on/off subtitles or closed captioning, replay/skip, jump to my photos, etc., without navigating 5-deep into various menus, but just by touching one button on my universal remote. Some of the stuff is not on the MS Vista remote, but the key combos are available and mapped out in every major universal remote brand. Kind of makes it all seem just like a regular stand-alone DVD player..., just much better.

Now that they've got in our pocket (with the iPhone, I mean:-), Apple should try to get into the living room in a more serious way.

Unfortunately, Leopard so far doesn't look like it's going to make it there. Hope I am wrong, but I guess I've seen the future:-)

Counter
Jul 4, 2007, 04:35 PM
Huh? What is this "Leopard" thing and what does it have to do with the iPhone?

:D :D :D :D :D

Not sure. It must be the OS for iPhone 2.0. Looks alright!

dv64villa
Jul 4, 2007, 09:39 PM

Actually, there is a way, using Directory Utility, go to Edit on the Apple menu, Enable root user. :D

Cheers!

DV

kanketsu
Jul 4, 2007, 10:05 PM
Has someone tried to install it on a Macbook?

I've been wondering if Leopard will strain it more than Tiger, resulting in more heat/ fan noises, etc..

twoodcc
Jul 4, 2007, 10:11 PM
so has anyone installed leopard server?

solvs
Jul 5, 2007, 05:35 AM
so has anyone installed leopard server?

Yes.

monty77
Jul 5, 2007, 08:45 AM
Has someone tried to install it on a Macbook?

I've been wondering if Leopard will strain it more than Tiger, resulting in more heat/ fan noises, etc..

I have it on mine ... seems pretty much the same in heat/fan noise respect, some of the animations are a bit clunky though - hoping that's just because everything isn't optimized yet. Runs great otherwise.

Adam

cage07
Jul 6, 2007, 01:03 AM
I downloaded the latest 9A466 Leopard release dmg from the developerís site, and used toast 8 to burn it to an DL DVD. I verified the dmg is fine, but when I start the Powerbook from the DVD, the little startup wheel just spins forever (I gave it 15 minutes). Does anyone step-by-step instructions on how to get the newest Leopard dmg onto DVD properly?

Alloye
Jul 6, 2007, 09:34 AM
I downloaded the latest 9A466 Leopard release dmg from the developer’s site, and used toast 8 to burn it to an DL DVD. I verified the dmg is fine, but when I start the Powerbook from the DVD, the little startup wheel just spins forever (I gave it 15 minutes). Does anyone step-by-step instructions on how to get the newest Leopard dmg onto DVD properly?

I use Disk Utility to burn my Leopard DVDs. Simply drag the dmg into the source list, select it, then press the burn button in the toolbar. This will verify the dmg, burn it, then verify the DVD.

ACoolie
Jul 6, 2007, 11:05 PM
Although i agree logging in to root is a bad idea, it is possible to do so in Leopard in GUI. There is a new application (i believe it was in 10.4 Server) called Directory Utility. It is used to find Directory servers. There is an option in the menu to "Enable Root User" that will prompt you for a new password. I tested it and it works fine. You can also disable root user.

ktappe
Jul 16, 2007, 04:04 PM
Does anyone step-by-step instructions on how to get the newest Leopard dmg onto DVD properly?

DVDs are so slow, I simply don't use them for Leopard. I have my HD partitioned so that whenever a new Leopard build comes out I restore it to a small partition dedicated to installs. I then boot from the partition and install Leopard on the main partition. You will save a lot of time this way.