PDA

View Full Version : We are doomed: Robots are running from us.


MrMacMan
Jul 16, 2003, 06:07 PM
Not sure if you have read but defiantly a great event.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/south_yorkshire/3060297.stm

Its brain told it to run from obstacles and therefore we were it. ;)

The article does not say if it was captured, but it can last for a week in the air.

medea
Jul 16, 2003, 07:43 PM
well it sounds more like a gust of air took it away, but you never know. My toaster has been acting odd, maybe it knows something.....

P-Worm
Jul 16, 2003, 08:31 PM
Just in time for Terminator: Rise of the Machines.

P-Worm

MrMacMan
Jul 16, 2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by medea
well it sounds more like a gust of air took it away, but you never know. My toaster has been acting odd, maybe it knows something.....

Yeah, I watched a story on the daily show about a talking toaster, they partner together and... well you know...
Originally posted by P-Worm
Just in time for Terminator: Rise of the Machines.

P-Worm

I was thinkins such as well.

FriarTuck
Jul 17, 2003, 07:46 AM
This is where we find the silver lining in Microsoft's dominance of the computer landscape: we never have to worry about our machines being smarter than humans, or invulnerable to attack.

Mr. Anderson
Jul 17, 2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by FriarTuck
This is where we find the silver lining in Microsoft's dominance of the computer landscape: we never have to worry about our machines being smarter than humans, or invulnerable to attack.

Ah, that's until the machines start making their own machines - that's when things get interesting...

There was another incident of a robot *escaping*

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_611290.html?menu=news.latestheadlines

good stuff :D

D

phrancpharmD
Jul 17, 2003, 09:30 AM
Hmmmmm, both robots escaped from the SAME research facility. Do robots have the same rights as humans and animals and do these escapes indicate that they are being treated inhumanely? Should we "save the robots?"

:)

Billicus
Jul 17, 2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by phrancpharmD
Hmmmmm, both robots escaped from the SAME research facility. Do robots have the same rights as humans and animals and do these escapes indicate that they are being treated inhumanely? Should we "save the robots?"

:)

Are we going to debate robot rights? :D My question is how does the robotic plane know where it can and can't land?

medea
Jul 17, 2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Ah, that's until the machines start making their own machines - that's when things get interesting...

There was another incident of a robot *escaping*

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_611290.html?menu=news.latestheadlines

good stuff :D

D
hmm same Magna center for both articles, I thought the quote at the end of that last article was amusing. "But there's no need to worry, as although they can escape they are perfectly harmless and won't be taking over just yet."

Just yet eh?

Das
Jul 17, 2003, 11:22 AM
So the prophetic visions of Short Circuit are coming to pass! Johnny five alive! Johnny five alive!

Mr. Anderson
Jul 17, 2003, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by medea
hmm same Magna center for both articles, I thought the quote at the end of that last article was amusing. "But there's no need to worry, as although they can escape they are perfectly harmless and won't be taking over just yet."

Just yet eh?

Yeah, doomsday, terminator and all - the potential is there for some serious crap - I just hope things don't ever get out of hand....:(

All it takes is one individual trying an *experiment* that doesn't go quite the way they planned and you've got problems. This goes for biotech, nanotech as well...

D

macguymike
Jul 17, 2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Yeah, doomsday, terminator and all - the potential is there for some serious crap - I just hope things don't ever get out of hand....:(

All it takes is one individual trying an *experiment* that doesn't go quite the way they planned and you've got problems. This goes for biotech, nanotech as well...

D

Speaking of which. Has anyone here read Michael Crichton's "Prey"? Its a good read dealing with the possibility of nano/biotech gone wrong.

Kid Red
Jul 17, 2003, 03:51 PM
How does cowardly robots running for there lives equal doom for us?

MrMacMan
Jul 17, 2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
Ah, that's until the machines start making their own machines - that's when things get interesting...

There was another incident of a robot *escaping*

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_611290.html?menu=news.latestheadlines

good stuff :D

D

BTW, I wrote that story, its faked. :rolleyes:


Originally posted by Kid Red
How does cowardly robots running for there lives equal doom for us?

Their Adapting.
What? What do you mean Adapting? (If you know where that is from :) )

macguymike
Jul 18, 2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
Their Adapting.
What? What do you mean Adapting? (If you know where that is from :) )

I know that quote just can't place the movie...

They're adapting... hmm... best guess is Dr. Grant in Jurassic Park?