Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
VA
ok this is very strange i posted this in the software section but could not get info on sh-2.05a#.

when i try to load up osx it stalls on the grey screen with the dark grey apple logo. the on the upper right hand of the screen sh-2.05a# pops up. looks like a dos prompt/ or unix shell? well any how i cant get osx to run but i can type commands after the sh-2.05a# is there a command that well make my osx run. this is the second machine to have this problem in one day. the other machine i just reinstalled osx. i did not yet want to do that on this machine because i wanted to save as much as possible. hoping there is a way around sh-2.05a#. can any one help. the other person sugested to remove nortons and use first aid i did.. nothing happened.
i am using 9 now. but hope i can go back to x

thank you all

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
Try starting up in single user mode. Hold down command-s at startup and youll hopefully get dumped to a command line. Type "FSCK -y" then return. Do that until it no longer reports errors. Then type reboot.

bokdol

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
VA
Originally posted by mikeyredk
Try starting up in single user mode. Hold down command-s at startup and youll hopefully get dumped to a command line. Type "FSCK -y" then return. Do that until it no longer reports errors. Then type reboot.

strated but found no errors and then
sh-2.05a# apeared in the command line again

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
Take it to an Apple Store.

If it's happening during startup (not the OS, the Hardware) then it would be an Open Firmware/Hardware Config issue? If you can type stuff than it sounds like OF, but don't take it from me. I'm just a PC user.

Edit: Try typing "mac-boot" on the next line, when the text pops up.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Sounds to me like one of your system files is missing. Try typing ls (lowercase LS) and see whether you get a list of files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.