PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 Failure Rate as High as 33%?

bluebomberman
Jul 3, 2007, 04:23 PM
Is this for real (http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=119888)?

"After contacting several retailers from various regions in North America, the responses were unanimous: the Xbox 360 is the least reliable gaming console in recent history," reports Daily Tech after polling several retailers on 360 failure rates including EB Games, GameStop, and Best Buy.

MacRumorUser
Jul 3, 2007, 05:00 PM
If it's true then I must be very lucky. My launch 360 still going strong and my core 360 is working perfect too. So either I'm the 2/3 or that percentage is wrong. Who knows ?

Cromulent
Jul 3, 2007, 05:18 PM
Mines dead in the water at the moment. I really should get it sent off for repair.

Coded-Dude
Jul 3, 2007, 05:32 PM
You'll never get a straight answer from anybody.
Microsoft would be committing suicide if they acknowledged/admitted such a high defect rate.

We all know how much guff Sony got for DRE, which was way smaller than this defect rate.

hollerz
Jul 3, 2007, 05:45 PM
I know this means nothing but I've got 6 friends (including me) with 360's, 2 of them failed - Thats 33% :D

Of course, one of them was mine so I'm bitter :P

Dagless
Jul 3, 2007, 06:37 PM
The 360 I was given was a launch model and it's still working. Surely thats an Achievement?
Apart from that every other 360 owner round here has got the Red Ring of Death at one point :o

sikkinixx
Jul 3, 2007, 07:11 PM
*knocks on wood* My launch 360 is still going strong! As long as it lasts me through Mass Effect and Halo 3 I am happy :D

psychofreak
Jul 3, 2007, 07:12 PM
Including myself, I don't know any 360 owners who haven't had to have their console repaired/replaced...

Cristian
Jul 3, 2007, 07:20 PM
I got mine in February and the disk tray is starting to mess up.

GFLPraxis
Jul 3, 2007, 08:16 PM

I know very, very few people in RL whose 360's have not failed. I'd believe it.

One person took 1 year and 2 months. Heh.

GFLPraxis
Jul 3, 2007, 08:17 PM
Including myself, I don't know any 360 owners who haven't had to have their console repaired/replaced...

I only know one who hasn't.

sb58
Jul 3, 2007, 08:28 PM
i've never had one go bad. cept when i dropped it once, but i should have expected that :D and no one i know has had one go bad.

Creeping-Death
Jul 3, 2007, 08:37 PM
Unlucky me, mine just messed up last week (It won't read any sort of disc anymore). Strangely, it did that the same day I bought my Wii, maybe it's some sort of allergic reaction!?

Mackilroy
Jul 3, 2007, 09:54 PM
Mine hasn't had a single issue, and I've had it since January 1, 2006.

sb58
Jul 3, 2007, 10:31 PM
oh and btw, when it says "recent history" isn't that like 5, 10 years at the most? and thats like 1 or 2 game generations... if its just 1 generation, then that means its less reliable than the Wii and PS3... something has to be.

2nyRiggz
Jul 4, 2007, 05:26 AM
I'm on my second box and as well as people I know.....I've seen so much failures and stories about it. MS will never announce that the machine has a proplem...people were reporting that there refurbish machine has an extra heat sink in it to keep it cool which is fine by me but MS still twist it up to make it seem as if its just updating the system.

Bless

applekid
Jul 4, 2007, 08:18 AM
I hope all of this bad news for the 360 will eventually get Microsoft to confess to the problems and do a recall or install the new heatsinks. A pipe dream, perhaps, but I wouldn't mind my 360 being more up to date than my retarded August 2006 model that could use a better disc drive.

I don't think I've personally met anybody with a broken 360, yet. Not that many of my friends have 360's, but I sometimes hang out at a gaming center here where they have 5 Xbox 360's and not a single one has been repaired or replaced. The place has been open since last spring. So, call me skeptical about broken 360's, but the Target warranty I got was affordable enough :)

Jovian9
Jul 4, 2007, 09:17 AM
I am on my 2nd 360 as my 1st began scratching and having problems reading disks. I have 3 friends who have had zero problems with theirs.

bluebomberman
Jul 4, 2007, 01:50 PM
Seems like the design is fundamentally flawed - doesn't sound like a few new heat sinks will help much. One has to wonder if Microsoft's lack of hardware experience outside of the original Xbox, the Zune (which is just a retrofitted Toshiba model, and it shows), mice and keyboards is really hurting them here.

The last time I went through repair hell was with a Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop - several motherboard replacements didn't help because the motherboard design was flawed from the very beginning.

G5Unit
Jul 4, 2007, 01:52 PM
I retuned mine to costco just because I was scared it would die. I had one of the early ones.

stagecustom
Jul 4, 2007, 11:10 PM
i could believe that stat.. i just shipped off my third one. and i barely play it. maybe thats the problem! it always seems as though when i go to play it after a few months of not, it just doesn't work:o :mad:

hegor
Jul 4, 2007, 11:55 PM
I used to manage a Gamecrazy and I can tell you I've had a few graveyards of defective 360s in my backroom I've had to warranty out. The fun times are when the replacement 360 dies on the owner. Outside of games, performance, and online play the 360 by its own merits as an engineered consumer product is a turd.

seenew
Jul 5, 2007, 12:01 AM
It's because of this that I'm scared to buy one-- still. I thought surely after this long they'd be working consistently. But nope.

I'll probably cave for Halo 3 around Christmas. All then a slew of other games I've been dying to play.

michaelltd
Jul 5, 2007, 11:41 AM
I must be very lucky.

I'm still on my first one that I recieved in December 2005.

Once in a while, though, I will get a "disc not readable" message ( Has happened maybe 6 times since I got it ) or on a very rare occation, the game would freeze (Happened maybe 3 times since I got it), but I've luckily never gotten the red ring of death.

greatdevourer
Jul 5, 2007, 12:37 PM
Including myself, I don't know any 360 owners who haven't had to have their console repaired/replaced... Whereas I don't know a single person who has :confused: Maybe we're stealing all your luck :D

takao
Jul 5, 2007, 01:36 PM
i seriously doubt 33%.. that simply sounds too much.. on the other side i would have easily believed 10 to 15% as reasonable

pcypert
Jul 5, 2007, 01:38 PM
In Thailand you can only buy Japanese import ones...and modded to boot. That's your only option for the most part. So I had one of those...the first one was scratching disks or just being a bit picky about playing disks so the shop I bought it from replaced immediately with a different one...but I was too nervous having one as they only guarantee for as long as they remember you or one month :D . I wouldn't care at all if I lived in the US and had their warranties...but not so much in Thailand with modded boxes...pretty sure I'm not getting a one year with that one .

Paul

Dagless
Jul 5, 2007, 01:57 PM
It's because of this that I'm scared to buy one-- still. I thought surely after this long they'd be working consistently. But nope.

Same reason why I wouldn't buy one either. When everyone elses system has broke you tend not to risk buying one yourself.

srobert
Jul 5, 2007, 02:09 PM
Mine hasn't broken so far but it has been misbehaving' since day one. It often crashes mid-game giving me the "Unable to read from the disc. Please check if the disc is dirty or damaged." message. I should have exchanged it but I somehow decided to keep it. I still love the little bugger. More RPGs please. ^_^

deggs37
Jul 5, 2007, 03:21 PM
I personally know 3 people who have had their xbox crap out on them. Other than that mine is running fine and was manufactured Oct. 2005.

adroit
Jul 5, 2007, 05:00 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6275728.stm

Microsoft facing $1bn Xbox bill

Some Xbox Live gamers have complained about fraud
Microsoft has said that it is facing a bill of more than $1bn to cover the cost of offering extended warranties, after failings with its Xbox 360.
The company admitted it had been forced to make "an unacceptable number of repairs" to the consoles after key hardware failed.

Customers who suffer the problems will now be given a free three-year warranty, the company said.

The failures are indicated by three red flashing lights on the console.

Microsoft, has not revealed how many of its machines have suffered the problem, but said the number was "bigger than we are comfortable with."

It added that the move - which will also see some people reimbursed for postage and repairs on consoles which were out of warranty - was aimed at keeping the loyalty of its customers.

"The majority of Xbox 360 owners are having a great experience with their console and have from day one," said Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's Entertainment & Devices Division.

"But this problem has caused frustration for some of our customers and for that, we sincerely apologise."

It added its Xbox division was still expected to make a profit during the financial year beginning 1 July 2007.

Migration manoeuvre

Separately the company has announced an October launch of its advanced version of the Xbox - the Xbox 360 Elite - in Japan, where it lags behind Nintendo and Sony in the console market.

And the company has also unveiled plans to open a software development centre in Canada which it said was a way of hiring talented people from abroad who would struggle to obtain a US working visa.

The Vancouver location would "allow the company to continue to recruit and retain highly skilled people affected by the immigration issues in the US", Microsoft said.

Coded-Dude
Jul 5, 2007, 05:05 PM
more red ink, with no positive numbers in sight.........this is getting kind of ugly.

Dont Hurt Me
Jul 5, 2007, 05:07 PM
Based on the ....G5 need we say more. Apple booted them quick, Microsofts problem now:D

MacRumorUser
Jul 5, 2007, 05:09 PM
Based on the ....G5 need we say more. Apple booted them quick, Microsofts problem now:D

Are you sure, I thought G5 powerbooks were due next tuesday ;) :D

applekid
Jul 5, 2007, 05:38 PM
So much for buying my extended warranty... :D

bluebomberman
Jul 5, 2007, 06:02 PM
Ugly, indeed. 3-year warranties and a billion in repair charges? (http://www.reuters.com/article/technology-media-telco-SP/idUSWEN917620070705)

Here's hoping the folks at Redmond have actually figured out what's wrong - extended warranties are great and all but I don't think Microsoft or console owners want to send their bricked Xbox 360s back and forth every couple of months for repairs.

EDIT: Looks like the extended warranty only covers the red rings of death (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/resources/warrantyfaq.htm).

2nyRiggz
Jul 5, 2007, 08:41 PM
They really need to redesign this thing and get it working properly...although I like the fact that they owned up to it and will extend warranty WORLDWIDE they still need to get to the bottom of this red light issue.

Bless