PDA

View Full Version : DVD Jon Activates iPhone

MacRumors
Jul 4, 2007, 02:20 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Jon Johansen (DVD Jon) has posted (http://nanocr.eu/2007/07/03/iphone-without-att/) a method that allows users to take a new iPhone and activate it without connecting to AT&T servers or supplying any personal information.

The method allows users take an iPhone and activate it to allow iPod and Wifi functionality, but without signing up for mobile telephone service with AT&T.

This has also be accomplished by canceling AT&T service (http://alexking.org/blog/2007/07/02/iphone-without-service) in the first few days after activation.

Wingdings
Jul 4, 2007, 02:33 AM
These guys (http://www.hissomnia.com/wiki/) have also succeeded in this (using their own method), and are going for several other achievements such as unlocking it and installing an SSH server on it, as well as getting third-party applications to run on it. I think it's nice that they share all their findings and how the manage to do these things.

yoman
Jul 4, 2007, 02:54 AM
Would the use of this software void the warranty?

iJon
Jul 4, 2007, 03:02 AM
Keep it coming, I want to see all the neat things the hackers can do.

Plus they've already cracked the root and administrator password.

jon

dextertangocci
Jul 4, 2007, 03:56 AM
Would the use of this software void the warranty?

No, of course not! (Sarcasm)

;)

Compile 'em all
Jul 4, 2007, 05:12 AM
About time!! I think we will see soon an unlocked iPhone. And that is when the iPhone won't be At&t-exclusive anymore :cool:

(L)
Jul 4, 2007, 05:13 AM
The big question for me, and hopefully also shared by a genius hacker, is if the iPhone can be made to work with Skype (for free internet calls and for paid Skype calls to normal phones). I don't even use Skype now, with a computer, but as wireless internet becomes more common, this kind of thing should be inevitable.

Compile 'em all
Jul 4, 2007, 05:26 AM
The encrypted dmg file with the iPhone filesystem files was broken TODAY. (http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php?title=Latest_Summary) The complete file list can be viewed here (http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php?title=SystemFileAndDirectoryList).

[04:19] <Omikron> Second, the encrypted 39.dmg image was recently cracked, and the contents of the system files have been dumped. The files are currently being explored for additional information and possible attack vectors.

Music_Producer
Jul 4, 2007, 05:43 AM
Great work by these chaps. I wonder what AT&T are going to think when the iPhone is fully unlocked. Apple is remarkably stupid - they should have just released an unlocked phone.. their sales would have been much more than the current statistics. Not to mention - all the international sales.

I understand higher profits and all that, but I think they would have made up for all the profit, and made much more - because of the sheer volume of iphones sold. Consumers don't like restrictions, and Apple seems to be heading towards a path that I really don't appreciate.

psychofreak
Jul 4, 2007, 05:46 AM
Great work by these chaps. I wonder what AT&T are going to think when the iPhone is fully unlocked. Apple is remarkably stupid - they should have just released an unlocked phone.. their sales would have been much more than the current statistics. Not to mention - all the international sales. Some other carriers do not want to give Apple the special treatment demanded (visual voicemail etc.)

headspace
Jul 4, 2007, 06:19 AM
I notice that the filelist includes carrier images for Vodaphone and T-Mobile as well as AT&T / Cingular. Maybe the closest indication that iPhone will indeed be coming to the UK on Voda / T-Mobile... or both.

/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/Default_CARRIER_ATT.png
/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/Default_CARRIER_CINGULAR.png
/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/Default_CARRIER_TMOBILE.png
/System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/Default_CARRIER_VODAFONE.png

psychofreak
Jul 4, 2007, 06:21 AM
I notice that the filelist includes carrier images for Vodaphone and T-Mobile as well as AT&T / Cingular. Maybe the closest indication that iPhone will indeed be coming to the UK on Voda / T-Mobile... or both.

I have no idea about these things, but couldn't this be for roaming outside of the US?

phatspider
Jul 4, 2007, 06:26 AM
So where do we get an activation token?

Compile 'em all
Jul 4, 2007, 06:32 AM
So where do we get an activation token?

You don't need an activation token if you are going to use Jon's method.

Stella
Jul 4, 2007, 06:39 AM
I have no idea about these things, but couldn't this be for roaming outside of the US?

Roaming usually means you keep using your existing carrier,but you connect to local carriers. They will charge you $$$ for priviledge of using their networks.

If the phone was unlocked ( which would be a great feat ), you'd be able to use any SIM card in your phone, thus any GSM carrier.

I wonder if Apple will disable unlocked / lock up the phones in future updates?

firsttube
Jul 4, 2007, 06:41 AM
This is so great to hear. I've been telling people since January that I hope to have an iPhone on T-Mobile by the end of summer. At this rate, I might have a T-Mo iPhone by the end of this week! :p

I don't plan on switching carriers any time soon (read: I'm married for another year, and at&t is at&t). Keep the news a-comin!

Compile 'em all
Jul 4, 2007, 06:43 AM
I wonder if Apple will disable unlocked / lock up the phones in future updates?

Why would they?. The only loser from unlocking an iPhone is AT&T Because it means you don't need to switch to them to use an iPhone.

phatspider
Jul 4, 2007, 06:43 AM

Ah yes - I was looking at the other method as in post 2 - which seems a lot more straightforward (IF you can get a token)

Jon's method makes no sense to a layman like me!

RedGlasses
Jul 4, 2007, 06:54 AM
can someone explain to me (easily lol) how to use jon's method, i've downloaded everything needed, even an hex editor but i dunno how to use it(i've also added the patch at the etc/hosts file)

i just need to understand the offset thing and i think i'll be done...PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP MEEEEEEEEEE

whooleytoo
Jul 4, 2007, 07:00 AM
That's the good news.

The bad news here. (http://www.newswireless.net/index.cfm/article/3501)
:o

The most serious flaw, reported by Errata Security, resides in the iPhone's Safari browser. By effecting a buffer overflow in the application, an attacker can take control of the browser and run code on the device, said Robert Graham, CEO of Errata.

"The scenario that seems most attractive is to have the phone dial 900 numbers," Graham said, noting an age-old attack that allows criminals with ties to fee-based phone services to profit each time an infected computer dial the number.

foidulus
Jul 4, 2007, 07:18 AM

Keep in mind AT&T allows international roaming. There is a guy at my office here in Germany who lives in the states but brought his iphone here for a couple weeks and it works fine(no idea how much his usage is costing him though)

Mac-Mariachi
Jul 4, 2007, 07:41 AM
About time!! I think we will see soon an unlocked iPhone. And that is when the iPhone won't be At&t-exclusive anymore :cool:

Yeah and itīs gonna be called iPod, a no phone, touch screen iPod + wifi that is.

firsttube
Jul 4, 2007, 07:42 AM
Keep in mind AT&T allows international roaming. There is a guy at my office here in Germany who lives in the states but brought his iphone here for a couple weeks and it works fine(no idea how much his usage is costing him though)

Do you guys work at an apple office, or are you close personal friends of Stevie J?

The reason I ask is because I think the device has only been publicly available for 4 1/2 days. You said he brought it there for a couple weeks? Why weren't you posting more info about the phone before the launch if you had a co-worker who already had one? :D

xUKHCx
Jul 4, 2007, 07:53 AM
Latest update

I present you with a video describing our efforts today
http://www.videosift.com/video/Daft-Hands-Harder-Better-Faster-Stronger (good video by not very relevant - added by xUKHCx)

we are focusing on unlocking
6 people who needed to work on unlocking had unactivated phones
now their phones are activated
now they can work on unlocking

our priorities are in the right order

and there are a bunch of other teams working on unlocking

so if they get there before us, fine
we're not in it for the zomg credit (apparently there are at least 3 teams working on this added by xUKHCx)

is one of them nanocrew?
well
dvd jon was in our dev channel yesterday all day
i'll let you draw your own conclusions

you'll be interested to know we found something....interesting
tripleFingerGestureTriggered

Compile 'em all
Jul 4, 2007, 07:56 AM

At&t has roaming agreements with around 30 carriers worldwide and there are only files for 2 other carriers. So no, these two files definitely have nothing to do with roaming.

phatspider
Jul 4, 2007, 08:04 AM
Do you guys work at an apple office, or are you close personal friends of Stevie J?

The reason I ask is because I think the device has only been publicly available for 4 1/2 days. You said he brought it there for a couple weeks? Why weren't you posting more info about the phone before the launch if you had a co-worker who already had one? :D

I would guess he bought it there in the last day or so and is staying for a few weeks

xUKHCx
Jul 4, 2007, 08:37 AM
Field Test application found

we have found field test
works on unactivated phones
*3001#12345#*
hit send
have a nice day

what does this do?
opens the field test app
basic network and diagnostic info

Plus little update

we can confirm with a reasonable degree of certainty you cannot unlock the phone through the telephony pad
and
there is a GPRS settings preference panel, but we haven't been able to access it yet

Exciting update

here's some good news
new ringtones = easy
call databases = stored as SQL
new video decoders: easy
./VideoDecoders
./VideoDecoders/H264H1.videodecoder
./VideoDecoders/MP4VH1.videodecoder
compiling them: hard
PNG replacement: fairly easy
more later

lag1090
Jul 4, 2007, 09:09 AM

Notice that the poster didn't mention it was an iPhone. People do have phones, other than the iPhone, that they use all over the world. AT&T's roaming policy would therefore logically also apply to the iPhone if it applies to their other phones.

Compile 'em all
Jul 4, 2007, 09:14 AM
Exciting update
here's some good news
new ringtones = easy
call databases = stored as SQL
compiling them: hard

Awesome news. Thanks for the updates. but what does compiling them mean?

xUKHCx
Jul 4, 2007, 09:16 AM
Awesome news. Thanks for the updates. but what does compiling them mean?

I think it meant that compiling new video codecs for the iPhone is hard, but to be honest not really sure, just guessing.

they have a sense of humor
Setting the activation state to Activated
Setting the activation state to MismatchedIMEI. Dude, where's your baseband?
Setting the activation state to MismatchedICCID. Put that other SIM back in.
Setting the activation state to MissingSIM. Put that SIM back in, dude.
Setting the activation state to FactoryActivated. Helloq OQC.
Setting the activation state to SoftActivation. Hello AppleCare.

10.15 update
we are getting closer to unlock by the minute, right now we're just researching
some guys are going to come on stream in the next 2 hours to help
I imagine i'll post another update by 4pm

but I can confirm fo ryou
there is absolutely no 3G
we have totally debunked that (but we already knew this)

appleii2mac
Jul 4, 2007, 09:28 AM
Why would they?. The only loser from unlocking an iPhone is AT&T Because it means you don't need to switch to them to use an iPhone.

Apple is reported to get a slice of the monthly service fees paid to AT&T. So Apple is losing revenue as well.

Perhaps they won't lock/brick the modified phones, but I would certainly expect them to not get any updates.

xUKHCx
Jul 4, 2007, 09:32 AM
Apple is reported to get a slice of the monthly service fees paid to AT&T. So Apple is losing revenue as well.

Perhaps they won't lock/brick the modified phones, but I would certainly expect them to not get any updates.

Until of course the updates get hacked.

LoneWolf121188
Jul 4, 2007, 09:38 AM
Yeah, but how do you use Jon's method? I realize the "magic numbers" are hex offsets, so do you need to decompile iTunes.exe and change some values or what?

Compile 'em all
Jul 4, 2007, 09:39 AM
I think it meant that compiling new video codecs for the iPhone is hard, but to be honest not really sure, just guessing.

I don't see why it would be difficult to compile new codecs for the iPhone. It is just a matter of re-compiling the codecs for the target iPhone ARM processor.

Thanks for the updates once again. I really appreciate it. Are you pulling them out of an IRC channel?

appleii2mac
Jul 4, 2007, 09:41 AM
Until of course the updates get hacked.

Possibly. But my main point was that hacking them doesn't only harm at&t, but Apple as well.

Compile 'em all
Jul 4, 2007, 09:48 AM
Possibly. But my main point was that hacking them doesn't only harm at&t, but Apple as well.

I don't see what is the problem with hacking the phone to work with the operator of your choice. It is not like you are stealing anything. You still pay for the phone and your calls.

Andrmgic
Jul 4, 2007, 09:48 AM
The only thing I'd really like to see is a divx or xvid codec for the iPhone so I won't have to re-encode all of my videos to iTunes compatible h264

Compile 'em all
Jul 4, 2007, 09:50 AM
The only thing I'd really like to see is a divx or xvid codec for the iPhone so I won't have to re-encode all of my videos to iTunes compatible h264

But I thought you will have to re-encode them anyway to fit the phone's resolution, no?

exNavy
Jul 4, 2007, 10:01 AM
Yeah, but how do you use Jon's method? I realize the "magic numbers" are hex offsets, so do you need to decompile iTunes.exe and change some values or what?

Use a hex editor to open the exe, change values and save.

appleii2mac
Jul 4, 2007, 10:10 AM
I don't see what is the problem with hacking the phone to work with the operator of your choice. It is not like you are stealing anything. You still pay for the phone and your calls.

I was just replying to your comment that it only hurts AT&T.

If everyone hacks their phone and uses another carrier, it's less revenue for Apple.

Less revenue to spend on R&D for the iPhone.

Less cool features added by apple to the iPhone.

Do you think that new video codecs, ssh servers, BT tethering, and other features that might be added by hackers are going to be as cool as features that Apple might add?

Don't get me wrong, I really wish Apple had released a full SDK for the iPhone so developers could create their own applications. Apple developed their business model for the iPhone on the assumption that it was locked and that they would continue to receive revenue from it going forward. If that is not the case, then they have less incentive to invest time and money in improving the product.

It's possible that this "hack" will result in delays of the release of the iPhone into other markets. Maybe Leopard developers will be put back into iPhone development to make it less hackable. Maybe new iPhone updates will be delayed so they can try to make it less hackable. Or maybe Apple assume this would happen all along and/or really don't care.

Compile 'em all
Jul 4, 2007, 10:12 AM
Yeah ok. Sorry, I understood your previous comment the wrong way. :)

jg2000
Jul 4, 2007, 10:26 AM
how about this.....use the iPhone as IT WAS INTENDED TO BE USED. I'm tired of all these people trying to cheat the system, there's nothing wrong with it the way that it is. Stop trying to unlock it, put in different SIM chips, breaking it open to see what's inside, activating with secret phone numbers. if you can't afford it, DON'T BUY IT, if you're not with AT&T , YOUR TOUGH LUCK!

I will say this though, it's just a matter of time before you'll all get what you want, you're just being impatient.

nydoofus
Jul 4, 2007, 10:28 AM
Unlocking the iPhone would be awesome. However, that bit is probably in the firmware and not the OS itself.

Compile 'em all
Jul 4, 2007, 10:32 AM
how about this.....use the iPhone as IT WAS INTENDED TO BE USED. I'm tired of all these people trying to cheat the system, there's nothing wrong with it the way that it is. Stop trying to unlock it, put in different SIM chips, breaking it open to see what's inside, activating with secret phone numbers. if you can't afford it, DON'T BUY IT, if you're not with AT&T , YOUR TOUGH LUCK!

I really don't know where to start. Anyway, Thanks for your contribution
:rolleyes:. Feel free not post on this thread.

nydoofus
Jul 4, 2007, 10:34 AM

I will say this though, it's just a matter of time before you'll all get what you want, you're just being impatient.

My Xbox running XBMC laughs at you. :D

zebu84
Jul 4, 2007, 10:37 AM

Wow...what a ret**d
do you really think it's 'bout not affording it...?

jg2000
Jul 4, 2007, 10:41 AM
Wow...what a ret**d

no i don't think it's about not being able to afford it, it's about something as revolutionary as the iPhone not being 'good' enough for people. what more do you want? if the only thing you got out of my post is the price part, i'd point the insults back in your direction. get a clue pal.

jg2000
Jul 4, 2007, 10:42 AM
Wow...what a ret**d

and how 'bout spelling out the word 'about' it's the same amount of keys.. DUH!

nydoofus
Jul 4, 2007, 10:43 AM
no i don't think it's about not being able to afford it, it's about something as revolutionary as the iPhone not being 'good' enough for people. what more do you want? if the only thing you got out of my post is the price part, i'd point the insults back in your direction. get a clue pal.

People always want more. That's how technology advances. Without it, we would still be in caves.

jg2000
Jul 4, 2007, 10:47 AM
People always want more. That's how technology advances. Without it, we would still be in caves.

i agree with you, but give the thing a chance it's been out 4 days and no updates have been released, people need to chill.

Krevnik
Jul 4, 2007, 10:48 AM
The encrypted dmg file with the iPhone filesystem files was broken TODAY. (http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php?title=Latest_Summary) The complete file list can be viewed here (http://iphone.fiveforty.net/wiki/index.php?title=SystemFileAndDirectoryList).

The interesting thing I see here is that CrashReporter is present. It seems like Apple is serious about being able to collect crash data from iPhones (possibly via EDGE/WiFi or iTunes sync?). It also has OpenGL ES (embedded version of OpenGL).

Other interesting things to keep in mind:

- Only supports MPEG-4 and H.264 for video playback, but video decoder objects can be written if Apple chooses to.
- The multitouch screen is using HID to communicate with the OS.
- A ringtone just needs to be in /Library/Ringtones to get picked up, so something just has to be able to write there.

matthutch
Jul 4, 2007, 10:59 AM
The interesting thing I see here is that CrashReporter is present. It seems like Apple is serious about being able to collect crash data from iPhones (possibly via EDGE/WiFi or iTunes sync?). It also has OpenGL ES (embedded version of OpenGL).

- Only supports MPEG-4 and H.264 for video playback, but video decoder objects can be written if Apple chooses to.
- A ringtone just needs to be in /Library/Ringtones to get picked up, so something just has to be able to write there.

I agree, the information is very interesting, would be interesting to see how the platform develops as time goes by.

The ringtones and support for other video codecs would be cool, not essential but quite cool. It would be nice if there was some way of the phone syncing with the codes that are present in quicktime allowing for greater video support.

Cheers

dr_lha
Jul 4, 2007, 11:05 AM
The interesting thing I see here is that CrashReporter is present. It seems like Apple is serious about being able to collect crash data from iPhones (possibly via EDGE/WiFi or iTunes sync?).
Its already been reported that iPhone crash logs are synced through iTunes and sent to Apple. When you sync your iPhone iTunes asks you if you want to send the crash report to Apple or not.

Krevnik
Jul 4, 2007, 11:11 AM
I agree, the information is very interesting, would be interesting to see how the platform develops as time goes by.

The ringtones and support for other video codecs would be cool, not essential but quite cool. It would be nice if there was some way of the phone syncing with the codes that are present in quicktime allowing for greater video support.

Cheers

The problem with codec syncing is that the iPhone is ARM-based, while the desktop is x86/PPC-based. You would have to compile your codec specifically for ARM, and in this new format I haven't seen before.

nydoofus
Jul 4, 2007, 11:17 AM
The problem with codec syncing is that the iPhone is ARM-based, while the desktop is x86/PPC-based. You would have to compile your codec specifically for ARM, and in this new format I haven't seen before.

ARM has been used for a while in the Pocket PC / Palm world. There are already players and codecs written for PPC and Palm.

Krevnik
Jul 4, 2007, 11:24 AM
ARM has been used for a while in the Pocket PC / Palm world. There are already players and codecs written for PPC and Palm.

But they don't fit into Quicktime. What I am saying is that you won't get to sync any old quicktime component you have installed... component owners will have to at least recompile their existing components before such a feature would work.

mrrory
Jul 4, 2007, 11:30 AM
I'm married for another year, and at&t is at&t).

Me too! I have T-Mobile for another year, and I'm not switching back to AT&T. Awful company. I want an iPhone though!!

Stella
Jul 4, 2007, 11:31 AM

Pressure from AT&T.

Also, Apple would be aware that performance of the iPhone won't be as good, for example, there will be no visual voice mail.

Apple want optimal user experience.

nydoofus
Jul 4, 2007, 11:34 AM
But they don't fit into Quicktime. What I am saying is that you won't get to sync any old quicktime component you have installed... component owners will have to at least recompile their existing components before such a feature would work.

Ah, I get what you were trying to say. Yeah, hopefully Perian can be recompiled to ARM soon.

notsofatjames
Jul 4, 2007, 11:59 AM
But you'd have to convert them for iTunes to pick them up to sync them.

MacPhreak
Jul 4, 2007, 12:32 PM

I believe Apple is getting a portion of the monthly fees, too. If that's the case, then they would have a dog in the fight, so to speak.

*oops, someone else already made the same comment

r4m3n
Jul 4, 2007, 01:23 PM
So has anyone tried the DVD Jon method? Since it's only a Windows PC solution right now, I'm curious to see if the unactivated iphone will work fine if you plug it into a Mac.

so...
-run DVD Jon's hack on Windows PC
-plug iPhone into Windows PC
-remove iPhone
-plug "hacked" iPhone into Mac

=> Works fine??

I'm also stuck on my t-mo contract for another year but what I'm reading on this thread is good news...

hkbeejay
Jul 4, 2007, 01:27 PM
So has anyone tried the DVD Jon method? Since it's only a Windows PC solution right now, I'm curious to see if the unactivated iphone will work fine if you plug it into a Mac.

so...
-run DVD Jon's hack on Windows PC
-plug iPhone into Windows PC
-remove iPhone
-plug "hacked" iPhone into Mac

=> Works fine??

I'm also stuck on my t-mo contract for another year but what I'm reading on this thread is good news...

Don't know about PC/Mac arrangement but I activated it using DVD Jon's method on one PC (PC1), then sync'ed the iTunes library from a second (another) PC (PC2). Worked fine.

Only problem is that I'm not seeing my home Wifi. It is an Airport Extreme base station, and I have set the wireless option to b/g without password, but still the iPhone is not recognizing that there is a wireless network at all. I'll have to try elsewhere to find an open network.

xUKHCx
Jul 4, 2007, 01:28 PM
Latest Update hot off the press

we are working on trying to gain access to the phone via either debug image service or afc
either one is an option
we have field test working (obviously), codes are on the wiki
we are working on unlocking
we are NOT creating any token generators
if you need one use jon's token or find a bud with a token
do not ask for tokens in this channel
we did get interviewed yesterday in network world
google for 'sumner lemon' (Link (http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,134152-pg,1/article.html))
that is the guy who interviewed us
we want to thank the guys that did some hard work
so I will be providing some shirts to those who have contributed code or assistance to us
i'll be back in a couple of hours with a status update
thanks

a Note iPhone Ring tones were made with iTunes v6.0.5 Quicktime 7.1.2
the User Interface sounds are .caf files

rjwill246
Jul 4, 2007, 01:58 PM
jg2000 how about this.....use the iPhone as IT WAS INTENDED TO BE USED. I'm tired of all these people trying to cheat the system, there's nothing wrong with it the way that it is. Stop trying to unlock it, put in different SIM chips, breaking it open to see what's inside, activating with secret phone numbers. if you can't afford it, DON'T BUY IT, if you're not with AT&T , YOUR TOUGH LUCK!

I really don't know where to start. Anyway, Thanks for your contribution
:rolleyes:. Feel free not post on this thread.

jg2000-- I agree with you.

Actually, Compile, your attitude is symptomatic of what has gone wrong in society. Respect for property, in this case IP and R&D, from Apple and ATT is attempting to be been trashed. The fact that this phone is here is due in no small measure to an historic linking of Apple to ATT. That involved a lot of money in R&D and more than a little give-and-take for both parties. So, piss on it... after all, it costs you nothing to break something that is not yours.

Why anyone thinks he/she has a right to buy the iPhone, then violate the very agreements that he/she agreed to is beyond my comprehension. This does NOTHING to make the future better and indeed, it is usually this sort of thing that brings in more and more restrictions. To all of you who don't like the iPhone restrictions and ATT's plan-- DON"T BUT ONE. Not one human is twisting your collective arms to have one, so don't!

If Apple and ATT respond in a draconian fashion-- and ATT has a lot to lose here-- I can't see you guys being the first to apologise to the rest of us who would rather play by the rules we agreed to at the time of purchase and who will be the ones to suffer the consequences...

Either greed, egos, envy or stupidity is driving this and none of them is a virtue.

It would be nice, though, to have the phone recognize when it is in a region outside the US and permit a SIM card to to be installed. I see no reason to agree to ATT's gouging when roaming-- that is not part of the US agreement. I just hope a legal means becomes available soon.

xUKHCx
Jul 4, 2007, 02:04 PM
Latest update:

"06 07 2A 86 48 86 F7 14 04"= "Microsoft file formats";
"06 08 2A 86 48 86 F7 14 04 02"= "Microsoft Word";
"06 08 2A 86 48 86 F7 14 04 03"= "Microsoft Excel";
"06 08 2A 86 48 86 F7 14 04 04"= "Microsoft Project";
"06 08 2A 86 48 86 F7 14 04 05"= "Microsoft PowerPoint";
"06 08 2A 86 48 86 F7 14 04 06"= "Microsoft Works";

ok overview of what we can actually do...
we can start services with AMDeviceStartService
and access values with AMDeviceCopyValue
we can get full access to files in the chroot jail
we can download activation plists to the phone
so far we still have no idea how to run programs
or modify files other then the ones in the chroot jail
i see four things to do right now
1. modify and reencrypt dmg
+we know its doable
+it'll get files on the device
-it may be signed or checksummed
-we aren't sure if itunes dls to the big dmg
2. disasm lockdown and see how the activation plists are validated
+plist generator :-)
-we aren't sure lockdown validates them
-crypto may be really complicated
3. Fetch the activation-record from activated phone
+May just be a call to AMDeviceCopyValue
-May not be saved
+Didn't someone know the dir where the activation.plist goes
4. Try to make fake update .pkg
-We don't know where these go
-They are probably signed

here is what we can and can't do
we can start services on the phone
we can access values
we can access files in the chroot jail
we don't yet have any idea of how to run programs
we have some good ideas on how to get access to the phone e.g. via tty or ssh
we have four angles we're working right now, we'll let you know when one turns out

dr_lha
Jul 4, 2007, 02:16 PM
jg2000 how about this.....use the iPhone as IT WAS INTENDED TO BE USED.
How about this: People are going to hack the iPhone. Apple knows this, AT&T hopefully knows this. Even if the thing is cracked, the majority of iPhones will be used normally. Only a small minority is going to be tech savvy enough to want to hack their phones.

Let the hackers have their fun, even though I don't have much interest in hacking the iPhone, what they are finding out is fun and interesting to me.

Live and let live, and stop wasting your breath because no matter how many rants you go on, its not going to stop the iPhone getting hacked.

PoitNarf
Jul 4, 2007, 02:26 PM
xUKHCx, any chance on somehow adding 802.1x capability to the wireless utility?

xUKHCx
Jul 4, 2007, 02:31 PM
xUKHCx, any chance on somehow adding 802.1x capability to the wireless utility?

Suppose i should have added a note to all of my previous posts. When it says "we" these are the words of the users gj and geohot. These are people who are deep in the hackintosh underworld. These are just the morsels of information they are passing out to the general public via irc. However it seems as if they are getting a bit annoyed at engadget and as such the information has slowed down.

I personally have no hacking ability and am not a part of the process, just the messenger.

If i was apart of this team then i certainly wouldn't be posting in such a public place. To get deep inside you have to be invited in and to do so have to show that you have some experience in such areas as ARM decompiling etc.

rjwill246
Jul 4, 2007, 02:37 PM
How about this: People are going to hack the iPhone. Apple knows this, AT&T hopefully knows this.
Live and let live, and stop wasting your breath because no matter how many rants you go on, its not going to stop the iPhone getting hacked.

Oh, silly me!!! Of course, THAT makes it right!!!

Diode
Jul 4, 2007, 02:41 PM

I've had a pop-up when connecting to itunes asking if I wanted to send a crash report to apple.

diamond.g
Jul 4, 2007, 03:21 PM

Wow, I find it interesting. These people are basically trying to find all the lil goodies that Apple may have had hidden in the phone. It may not be right, but if Apple was so afraid of this happening they could have gone the hypervisor/cell route (think ps3). The funny thing is due to people like them we do get cool features in future products XBMC is a prime example of this. With out it MS may have never did the market place/Media extender thing. Even Apple does it (I've heard of things in OS X that were 3rd party app at first).

Besides I figure if Apple gets too irritated there are always cease and desist letters, suing people, and plugging the holes.

All IMHO.

Ugg
Jul 4, 2007, 03:21 PM
jg2000 how about this.....use the iPhone as IT WAS INTENDED TO BE USED.

The fact that this thread hasn't been deleted is proof that Apple expected this and is going to let it pass, for now at least. Apple wants to sell as many iPhones as possible.

edesignuk
Jul 4, 2007, 03:25 PM
AT&T don't subsidise the handset, you pay full whack for it. It's not illegal to unlock mobile phones FFS. Calm down rjwill246 :rolleyes:

mrkramer
Jul 4, 2007, 03:34 PM

There is nothing illegal about trying to unlock the phone that you have bought. and when it comes to Europe it will be illegal for it not to be able to be unlocked, so just calm down.

biturbomunkie
Jul 4, 2007, 03:46 PM

how about this (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/06/21/BUG9VJHB9C1.DTL)?

i agree with you, but give the thing a chance it's been out 4 days and no updates have been released, people need to chill.

irrelevant - no updates from apple will unlock the iphone. however, i do agree that some folks, especially newbies and iphone fan boys, need to chill.

jg2000-- I agree with you.

Actually, Compile, your attitude is symptomatic of what has gone wrong in society. Respect for property, in this case IP and R&D, from Apple and ATT is attempting to be been trashed. The fact that this phone is here is due in no small measure to an historic linking of Apple to ATT. That involved a lot of money in R&D and more than a little give-and-take for both parties. So, piss on it... after all, it costs you nothing to break something that is not yours.

Why anyone thinks he/she has a right to buy the iPhone, then violate the very agreements that he/she agreed to is beyond my comprehension. This does NOTHING to make the future better and indeed, it is usually this sort of thing that brings in more and more restrictions. To all of you who don't like the iPhone restrictions and ATT's plan-- DON"T BUT ONE. Not one human is twisting your collective arms to have one, so don't!

If Apple and ATT respond in a draconian fashion-- and ATT has a lot to lose here-- I can't see you guys being the first to apologise to the rest of us who would rather play by the rules we agreed to at the time of purchase and who will be the ones to suffer the consequences...

Either greed, egos, envy or stupidity is driving this and none of them is a virtue.

It would be nice, though, to have the phone recognize when it is in a region outside the US and permit a SIM card to to be installed. I see no reason to agree to ATT's gouging when roaming-- that is not part of the US agreement. I just hope a legal means becomes available soon.

LOL. i like how you are all holly at the start, and then at the end saying it'd be justified to unlock the iphone since roaming "is not part of the US agreement." :D

meagain
Jul 4, 2007, 03:50 PM
The unlocking though will only work with GSM SIM cards - right? And the only other service out there would be T-moble - Right? So this only benefits T-Mobile people (and maybe some other smaller providers I've never heard of).

Do I have the above correct? I hope not. :)

g.c.
Jul 4, 2007, 03:53 PM
The unlocking though will only work with GSM SIM cards - right? And the only other service out there would be T-moble - Right? So this only benefits T-Mobile people (and maybe some other smaller providers I've never heard of).

Do I have the above correct? I hope not. :)

You're hopes are right. That is not the only benefit. I live in Canada and don't want to pay roaming for the phone, so it benefits me as I will be able to use the iPhone with a Canadian provider. Same goes for people in other countries.

P.S. xUKHCx I'm having trouble even finding DVD Jon's token... any thoughts? I PM'd you as well. I've just had the hardest time trying to figure out this activation.

rjwill246
Jul 4, 2007, 04:14 PM
how about this (http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/06/21/BUG9VJHB9C1.DTL)?

i like how you are all holly at the start, and then at the end saying it'd be justified to unlock the iphone since roaming "is not part of the US agreement." :D

Er, if you can read, you will notice that I said that signing up for the iPhone does not include an agreement with ATT to use their system overseas... I did not ask for it to be illegally unlocked-- I said LEGALLY!!! Thus, not holy at all. I just detest cheaters (losers) who want to steal and justify it simply because they want it that way. Read what I wrote again!

biturbomunkie
Jul 4, 2007, 04:22 PM
Er, if you can read, you will notice that I said that signing up for the iPhone does not include an agreement with ATT to use their system overseas... I did not ask for it to be illegally unlocked-- I said LEGALLY!!! Thus, not holy at all. I just detest cheaters (losers) who want to steal and justify it simply because they want it that way. Read what I wrote again!

er... if you can read, perhaps you would notice that people have already told you that unlocking phones in the US is not illegal.

perhaps your holiness can tell us the difference between unlocking the phone "legally" and "illegally."

xUKHCx
Jul 4, 2007, 04:37 PM
@ g.c. replied

One slightly odd thing is that the iPhone filesystem is HFS+ case-sensitive.

appleii2mac
Jul 4, 2007, 04:44 PM
The fact that this thread hasn't been deleted is proof that Apple expected this and is going to let it pass, for now at least. Apple wants to sell as many iPhones as possible.

Or maybe the fact that Federal Courts are closed today....

edesignuk
Jul 4, 2007, 04:46 PM
Or maybe the fact that Federal Courts are closed today....Or (as has already been said) unlocking mobile phones is not illegal!!!!!

<deep breath>

:rolleyes:

appleii2mac
Jul 4, 2007, 04:50 PM
Or (as has already been said) unlocking mobile phones is not illegal!!!!!

<deep breath>

:rolleyes:

True. But I was pointing out the folly of saying that the fact that this thread was still open/not deleted was proof that apple wanted the phone unlocked.

Besides, it's not like Apple has ever been shy about throwing lawsuits around.

Ghibli
Jul 4, 2007, 06:10 PM
True. But I was pointing out the folly of saying that the fact that this thread was still open/not deleted was proof that apple wanted the phone unlocked.

Besides, it's not like Apple has ever been shy about throwing lawsuits around.

I think that, If Apple had the way to stop this (i.e. if unlocking the phone was illegal), the usual "cease and desist" letter would have already been out.

If it is true that maybe courts are on vacation today, it is also true that you do not need to go to court to send a "cease adn Desit" letter. You just need a lawyer... and usually you can find a nice lawyer willing to write such a letter for a correct amount of money (even if it is the 4 of july...).

By the way.. I think those guys over there are doing a really nice and Damnly fast job...

I thought it would have taken more time...

jg2000
Jul 4, 2007, 06:45 PM
i didn't mean to get everyone all bent out of shape about this. I realize that hackers are going to hack and that's fine. My point is if they want to hack, hack something like a Zune so it actually works.

rjwill246
Jul 4, 2007, 07:15 PM
er... if you can read, perhaps you would notice that people have already told you that unlocking phones in the US is not illegal.

perhaps your holiness can tell us the difference between unlocking the phone "legally" and "illegally."

True, from Nov 27 2006 it is legal to unlock a phone-- perhaps it would have been better had I said that it is not part of the agreement with ATT. So, technically it is not illegal, but a circumvention of the agreement. You are right. I would not do it as it is not part of my agreement with ATT.

And I agree, nerds are going to do it regardless of the consequences.

appleii2mac
Jul 4, 2007, 07:26 PM
I think that, If Apple had the way to stop this (i.e. if unlocking the phone was illegal), the usual "cease and desist" letter would have already been out.

If it is true that maybe courts are on vacation today, it is also true that you do not need to go to court to send a "cease adn Desit" letter. You just need a lawyer... and usually you can find a nice lawyer willing to write such a letter for a correct amount of money (even if it is the 4 of july...).

By the way.. I think those guys over there are doing a really nice and Damnly fast job...

I thought it would have taken more time...

It's possible that Apple doesn't have a legal leg to stand on, but that's a far cry from not caring.

Assume the following:
Apple gets $10/month from AT&T for each subscriber.
Over 2 years that's an extra $240 in revenue per iPhone sold.

So if 10% of subscribers decide to hack their phone, that's the equivalent of reducing Apple's projected revenue per phone by ~$25. If they sell 10 million phones/year, that's $250 million/year they're losing.

Will apple make this up in extra volume from people who don't want to switch carriers or whatever? Maybe.

But their agreement with AT&T (and other carriers) may require them to take additional action in order to prevent this sort of thing.

What if apples response it to delay any additional shipments of iPhones until the problem is fixed. Or maybe Leopard is delayed until January while it's fixed. Or the rollout in additional markets is delayed. Maybe the iChat update is delayed while they fix it. Would the "hacking" be worth it if any of those were their response?

Mostly a rhetorical question, and I can't say that I believe any of those responses is likely, but they're certainly possible.

Finiksa
Jul 4, 2007, 07:52 PM
perhaps it would have been better had I said that it is not part of the agreement with ATT. So, technically it is not illegal, but a circumvention of the agreement.
What agreement are you talking about?

Purchasing an iPhone does not require a service contract to be signed, that's optional after the fact. You buy an iPhone at full retail price, you pay your monies and leave the store, the contract of sale is complete. The iPhone is now yours to do with as you wish. You may lick it, smash it, hug it tenderly, hack it or sign up to an AT&T 2yr service agreement. None of these options are a requirement and I'm sure there are many more possibilities. Why don't you try and think of some at home?

meagain
Jul 4, 2007, 08:04 PM
Ya know, I love Apple as much as the next guy but the exclusive with AT&T and Edge makes it so many folks can't get the iPhone. I have no problem with unlocking to give people choice and avoid this ridiculous lock in. I'd like for anyone who wants an iPhone to be able to have one and use it. As it should be.

rjwill246
Jul 4, 2007, 09:40 PM
What agreement are you talking about?

Purchasing an iPhone does not require a service contract to be signed, that's optional after the fact. You buy an iPhone at full retail price, you pay your monies and leave the store, the contract of sale is complete. The iPhone is now yours to do with as you wish. You may lick it, smash it, hug it tenderly, hack it or sign up to an AT&T 2yr service agreement. None of these options are a requirement and I'm sure there are many more possibilities. Why don't you try and think of some at home?

Obviously you don't know what an EULA is so there is no point responding.

Ugg
Jul 4, 2007, 09:45 PM

Show me the EULA.

iW00t
Jul 4, 2007, 10:10 PM

What EULA?

Finiksa
Jul 4, 2007, 10:16 PM

Like the others have said, what EULA? anyway EULAs are unenforceable, you can't dictate terms of sale after the fact.

SeaFox
Jul 4, 2007, 11:40 PM

Who said it makes it "right"? They're just working for the consumer.

If you don't want to use the iPhone until it's properly released on other carriers, no one is forcing you to get an AT&T iPhone and hack it.

YoNeX
Jul 4, 2007, 11:45 PM
Let me put it this way. I have Cingular right now, if iPhone gets fully unlocked, I will buy the iPhone and stick with Cingular. If it doesn't, I'm getting one of those new phones from Europe and switching to T-Mobile. I want my phones unlocked so I'm not tied down to a carrier or their 2 year contract. 1 Year contract I've done, but 2 year is too excessive.

edesignuk
Jul 5, 2007, 03:42 AM
True. But I was pointing out the folly of saying that the fact that this thread was still open/not deleted was proof that apple wanted the phone unlocked.Apple may not want the iPhone unlocked. After all the trouble they've gone to with AT&T they probably don't. None of that changes the fact they have no right to tell people what they can and can't do with their iPhones that they have bought and paid for.

Pikemann Urge
Jul 5, 2007, 07:02 AM
i didn't mean to get everyone all bent out of shape about this. I realize that hackers are going to hack and that's fine.
That wasn't your tone a couple of pages back. But hey, whatever, you can't agree with everybody.
My point is if they want to hack, hack something like a Zune so it actually works.
Zune? No, waste of time even thinking about it.

xUKHCx
Jul 5, 2007, 07:16 AM
we can't get the dmg onto the phone yet but we might look at that later today
we can however
do some very interesting things with restored
and we got out of the sandbox
we have made some good progress on the serial side of the device and today will be brutal, we have some crosscompiling to do and some other **** in order to try to get the device in an accessible state
yesterday's work was not for naught but it was a lot of dead ends
I hope today will be better
most of us are sleeping now
expect another update around noonish

nplima
Jul 5, 2007, 07:52 AM
One thing that bothers me about this discussion about unlocking phones is that I think that SIM/Network locks shouldn't be legal to begin with.
Here's a little story:
Joe User buys a phone locked to AT&T in the USA. For the upcoming 24 months he's going to pay US$20 per month for a number of minutes talk time;
Joe goes to Portugal for 6 months;
Joe has a look around on the market and realizes that there are 3 mobile network operators which are licensed to provide GSM services. This is a state awarded license, there will be no other operators in the next 10 years;
Joe needs to talk to people locally and compares the prices of phone calls:
National charges: EUR0.15 per minute;
Roaming charges with AT&T: EUR1 per minute.

Now, Joe could remove his US SIM card and use a new one from a local operator, he'd still pay his US$20 per month as his contract with AT&T dictates and get minutes that he wouldn't use. But no. Since his phone is locked, this consumer cannot choose between AT&T and other supplier, losing some functionality (he cannot use his US number if he chooses another SIM card) but also losing the possibility of paying less for a different service.
Who makes this restriction for the user in Portugal? a company that has a license to operate a GSM network in the USA. How's that legal?

Back to the iPhone case:
If I understand correctly, the user may or may not activate AT&T services (with their monthly fees) after purchasing the iPhone. In that case, user ends up with a wi-fi enabled media player and there is no money to be paid to AT&T or Apple after the purchase.

So, exactly why are people fearing for the long term profitability of Apple in the case that people activate some other SIM card instead of AT&T? It's not like Apple has a right of demanding people to use iPhones to make phone calls.

appleii2mac
Jul 5, 2007, 08:06 AM
So, exactly why are people fearing for the long term profitability of Apple in the case that people activate some other SIM card instead of AT&T? It's not like Apple has a right of demanding people to use iPhones to make phone calls.

Well, it is a phone after all. And if you're not going to use the iPhone to make phone calls, what's the point of putting other SIM cards in it?

vassillios
Jul 5, 2007, 09:36 AM
AT&T should offer to buy out contracts of other carriers. I know I would switch right now if AT&T would offer to pay my verizon early cancelation penalty fee. It may be expensive for AT&T in the short term, but they would only gain from it in the long run.

appleii2mac
Jul 5, 2007, 11:51 AM
AT&T should offer to buy out contracts of other carriers. I know I would switch right now if AT&T would offer to pay my verizon early cancelation penalty fee. It may be expensive for AT&T in the short term, but they would only gain from it in the long run.

Why should they do that? People are already switching, and they can't supply enough phones. They can just wait for your current contract to expire. No need to have everyone switch at the same time.

AtHomeBoy_2000
Jul 6, 2007, 10:14 AM
just wait a few months until Apple releases a Phoneless iPod with the same style as the iPhone.

vassillios
Jul 6, 2007, 10:48 AM
Why should they do that? People are already switching, and they can't supply enough phones. They can just wait for your current contract to expire. No need to have everyone switch at the same time.

let's do the math....they pay $150 to end my verizon contract (of which I have a year and a half left).

they (AT&T) have me paying $80 a month * 18 months = $1440 - 150 = $1290 in their pocket that I would have been giving someone else.

And that's JUST me. Let's say they do this for at least 1000 people. Now we're looking at $1,290,000 (roughly of course).

Of course there would have to be stipulations that would ensure they don't loose money (say someone only has 1 month left on their onther plan yet AT&T pays $150 for them...then they loose money).

But you know what...maybe you're right. I really want more space on my iPhone and I might be tempted to get one now, if AT&T offered this option, instead of holding out for the next revision.

unity
Jul 6, 2007, 11:22 AM
Paying termination fees was a tactic used years ago - when people actually PAID for their phones. Now days it not benificial since phones have become much more subsidized to the point where many are offered free.

appleii2mac
Jul 6, 2007, 03:02 PM
let's do the math....they pay $150 to end my verizon contract (of which I have a year and a half left).

they (AT&T) have me paying $80 a month * 18 months = $1440 - 150 = $1290 in their pocket that I would have been giving someone else.

And that's JUST me. Let's say they do this for at least 1000 people. Now we're looking at $1,290,000 (roughly of course).

Of course there would have to be stipulations that would ensure they don't loose money (say someone only has 1 month left on their onther plan yet AT&T pays $150 for them...then they loose money).

But you know what...maybe you're right. I really want more space on my iPhone and I might be tempted to get one now, if AT&T offered this option, instead of holding out for the next revision.

You act like all the money you pay them is pure profit. Like I said, they are having problems keeping up without paying to terminate people's contracts. There is also a shortage of phones.

Feel free to wait. I'll be enjoying my phone for the next 6+ months.

Besides, one of the "game changing" things about the iPhone was that it wouldn't be subsidized by the carrier.

phatspider
Jul 7, 2007, 09:23 AM
Cool

Followed Jon's instructions and got my iPhone activated on my windows machine - but was worried as all my pics, movies, tunes etc were on my mac.

I'd heard people say that it was still ok and just ignore the not activated message then drag music across in itunes. But i wanted to sync movies, contacts etc.

So when i got the not activated screen i just simply hit 'Cancel' It said warning this will stop current activiation so I took a gamble and hit ok. It did not 'deactivate' the phone. So know its happily syncing away putting on my contacts, music, photos, 24 season 6 and a few movies

Now if I can get it working as a phnoe with my UK Sim at some point i'll be well chuffed.

aaarrrgggh
Jul 7, 2007, 11:02 AM
You act like all the money you pay them is pure profit.

That isn't so far from the truth. Each incremental customer has almost no incremental cost to the company. Since they have gotten heavy subsidies from the government over the years to build their networks, the only reason they have the overhead they do is bad management.

MacDonaldsd
Jul 7, 2007, 12:31 PM
Cool

Followed Jon's instructions and got my iPhone activated on my windows machine - but was worried as all my pics, movies, tunes etc were on my mac.

I'd heard people say that it was still ok and just ignore the not activated message then drag music across in itunes. But i wanted to sync movies, contacts etc.

So when i got the not activated screen i just simply hit 'Cancel' It said warning this will stop current activiation so I took a gamble and hit ok. It did not 'deactivate' the phone. So know its happily syncing away putting on my contacts, music, photos, 24 season 6 and a few movies

Now if I can get it working as a phnoe with my UK Sim at some point i'll be well chuffed.

How much did you manage to get one for ?

kuebby
Jul 7, 2007, 02:04 PM
That isn't so far from the truth. Each incremental customer has almost no incremental cost to the company. Since they have gotten heavy subsidies from the government over the years to build their networks, the only reason they have the overhead they do is bad management.

There is some incremental cost. I'm not sure exactly how GSM works but with CDMA there is a limit of users on each tower. So as more customers are added in each area your cell company has to add new towers or you won't get a signal since the tower capacity is reached. But you are right that much of their income should be profit, if the companies were managed well.

phatspider
Jul 8, 2007, 07:12 AM
How much did you manage to get one for ?

$599

Oh plus 6% tax

Nice to have a friend in CT who happened to arrive in UK two days ago :)

jimN
Jul 8, 2007, 02:56 PM
$599

Oh plus 6% tax

Nice to have a friend in CT who happened to arrive in UK two days ago :)

Don't suppose you want to arrange regular demonstrations somewhere in the UK (preferably London).

hkbeejay
Jul 8, 2007, 10:32 PM
Has anyone managed to get Youtube working under Wifi with your iPhone activated using this method? Thanks.

lmcintyre
Jul 8, 2007, 10:46 PM
Has anyone managed to get Youtube working under Wifi with your iPhone activated using this method? Thanks.

that's exactly what I want to know

phatspider
Jul 9, 2007, 11:01 AM

Nope

Not heard of anyone who can either

Does anyone know if a normal AT&T customer who activated properly can use the application over WiFi when theres no EDGE coverage?

unity
Jul 10, 2007, 10:48 PM
Does anyone know if a normal AT&T customer who activated properly can use the application over WiFi when theres no EDGE coverage?

You mean YouTube over WiFi? Ya, works fine under normal activation. I dont see why it would not activating the other way too. Its just another "app" like the widgets.

Tallest Skil
Jul 11, 2007, 08:09 AM
I've had the same problem with YouTube. Not too important, as I hate that site anyway. Oh, and any way to have iPhone NOT sync with iTunes EVERY TIME I PLUG IT INTO MY COMPUTER? It deletes what's no longer on my iMac on itself. I kind of just want to have it plugged in to charge and don't want all my music on my iMac at once. That's what my Nano (and supposedly my iPhone) are for! Oh, and hurry it up with that unlocking of the SIM.* I need to wow my friends with a Verizon-based iPhone. :cool:

*All readers must realize that this is, in all honesty, a joking comment. Those programmers working tirelessly to unlock the iPhone are doing their best, we both know that. It will be unlocked when it's unlocked. My guess? Before the month is out.

phatspider
Jul 11, 2007, 09:58 AM
I've had the same problem with YouTube. Not too important, as I hate that site anyway. Oh, and any way to have iPhone NOT sync with iTunes EVERY TIME I PLUG IT INTO MY COMPUTER? It deletes what's no longer on my iMac on itself. I kind of just want to have it plugged in to charge and don't want all my music on my iMac at once. That's what my Nano (and supposedly my iPhone) are for! Oh, and hurry it up with that unlocking of the SIM.* I need to wow my friends with a Verizon-based iPhone. :cool:

*All readers must realize that this is, in all honesty, a joking comment. Those programmers working tirelessly to unlock the iPhone are doing their best, we both know that. It will be unlocked when it's unlocked. My guess? Before the month is out.

There is a tick box to automatically sync on main iphone page in itunes - just untick it

Tallest Skil
Jul 11, 2007, 10:43 AM
...and in doing so, you delete all music on your iPhone. No. The opposite of what I want. Also, the same for pictures, but in this case I don't want the pictures on my iPhone at all. Could someone assist me on the proper way to cheat the system?

Edit: Got what I wanted with photos. Sorry, I'm better than I thought I was... So music-wise, why can't we just drag and drop without synching?

Music_Producer
Jul 11, 2007, 09:18 PM
Oh, and hurry it up with that unlocking of the SIM.* I need to wow my friends with a Verizon-based iPhone. :cool:

Verizon? They don't work on GSM technology.. so they don't use SIM cards. An unlocked iPhone would only work with Cingular, T-Mobile in the US, and other GSM providers.. it won't work with sprint or verizon.

Tallest Skil
Jul 13, 2007, 09:21 AM
So how hard is it to modify this? Forgive my lack of phone knowledge, but until I won my iPhone I couldn't have cared less about how my cell worked. Are these technologies hopelessly incompatible or has someone managed to write Verizon tech to a SIM card ever? If the former is the case, then I suppose I'll be keeping my old phone for longer than I thought...

SeaFox
Jul 13, 2007, 03:34 PM
So how hard is it to modify this?
Working on Verizon's network would require changing the radio equipment inside the phone, so we would need to replace the entire circuit board.

Forgive my lack of phone knowledge, but until I won my iPhone I couldn't have cared less about how my cell worked. Are these technologies hopelessly incompatible
Yes.
...or has someone managed to write Verizon tech to a SIM card ever?
You're comparing Apples and Oranges (or Lemons since we're talking about Verizon). CDMA does not use SIM cards at all and does not support them at all, and as I said above CDMA uses a different radio than GSM. What keeps the iPhone off T-Mobile is politics. What keeps the iPhone off Verizon is that the current iPhone model cannot speak to a CDMA (Verizon, Sprint, Alltel) network.

MarkW19
Aug 23, 2007, 01:40 PM
Has anyone that's used the DVD Jon activation hack upgraded their iPhone's software to 1.01, and then 1.02?

If so, any problems, and were you forced to restore? If so, did the hack work again after the upgrade(s)?

diamond.g
Aug 23, 2007, 05:19 PM
Working on Verizon's network would require changing the radio equipment inside the phone, so we would need to replace the entire circuit board.

Yes.

You're comparing Apples and Oranges (or Lemons since we're talking about Verizon). CDMA does not use SIM cards at all and does not support them at all, and as I said above CDMA uses a different radio than GSM. What keeps the iPhone off T-Mobile is politics. What keeps the iPhone off Verizon is that the current iPhone model cannot speak to a CDMA (Verizon, Sprint, Alltel) network.
Well technically there is a version of SIM for CDMA it is called RUIM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Removable_User_Identity_Module). Now the real question is who is going to be the first to implement it.

jlforester
Sep 3, 2007, 06:20 PM
After applying the hack, is there a way to restore the iPhone to its original out-of-the-box state so that when AT&T finally completes their merger with Dobson, I can activate the phone with them? I'd like to get the phone now and start using the iPod and wifi.

Or, better yet, is it even necessary at all to restore the iPhone before activating phone service?