PDA

View Full Version : New iLife Gone Golden Master?

MacRumors
Jul 4, 2007, 04:23 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

MacScoop believes (http://macscoop.com/articles/2007/07/04/next-iteration-ilife-gone-golden-master-coming-leopard) that the new version of Apple's iLife suite has gone "Golden Master" -- meaning it is complete and ready for distribution.
The development of the new iLife suite was actually finished a few weeks ago and nothing prevents Apple from releasing it during the summer or on early September, sources told MacScoop.
Many expected the iLife update at Macworld San Francisco 2007, but Apple made no mention or reference to it.

The last reference was from Apple's 1Q 2007 Financial Conference Call (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/01/17/apple-posts-1-billion-in-profit-1q-2007-and-financial-call-notes/) in which they suggested the iLife update was coming soon:
Q: Is iLife still a January release time schedule? A: We don't comment on unreleased products, but stay tuned

Romanesq
Jul 4, 2007, 04:25 PM
iLife for iPhone. Just kidding. Let's get the 1.1 release though for the iPhone.

psychofreak
Jul 4, 2007, 04:26 PM
At f-in' last...

Dagless
Jul 4, 2007, 04:27 PM
Welcome back iLife, it has been a while.

Hairball
Jul 4, 2007, 04:28 PM
It's about time. When will iWork get updated?:confused:

Spaceman Spiff
Jul 4, 2007, 04:29 PM
First off, if they say nothing's preventing it from being released Summer/September, wouldn't that mean it's not Leopard dependant?

Secondly: FINALLY! I've been waiting for this for a long time! Glee!

xUKHCx
Jul 4, 2007, 04:30 PM
Brilliant, if they release it before Leopard it will be at least a month or so before it is actually released, have to let the iPhone talk die down.

FF_productions
Jul 4, 2007, 04:31 PM
iLife is finally making its 2007 debut!

Queso
Jul 4, 2007, 04:33 PM
This one I hope is true :)

Peace
Jul 4, 2007, 04:34 PM
iLife is finally making its 2007 debut!

If it were actually GM I see no reason for it to be NOT on sale right now.

Much Ado
Jul 4, 2007, 04:36 PM
If it were actually GM I see no reason for it to be on sale right now.

?

Do you mean 'no reason for it not to be on sale right now'?

I'm with the believers that this will ship with Leopard, with some nice Core-Animation effects and full 64-bit support etc.

pknz
Jul 4, 2007, 04:40 PM
Mmmm hopefully there is a big fat iPhoto update.

psychofreak
Jul 4, 2007, 04:41 PM
Maybe its taken so long because its a cross-platform suite...

I'm much more concerned with iWork than iLife (I really only use iTunes...but my grandad uses iPhoto)

Ireland
Jul 4, 2007, 04:41 PM
It's about time? We get rumors everyday.

loudestnoise
Jul 4, 2007, 04:43 PM
New iLife would be good move for back to school? Maybe not, but I'd sure use it.

Ireland
Mmmm hopefully there is a big fat iPhoto update.iPhoto is fat enough as is.

j-a-x
I wish they would hurry up. I'd love to see an updated iPhoto with more features from Aperture!

Why would it be Leopard dependent? are they going to leave out all Mac users still using Tiger? Apple never did that with previous version of iLife, and I don't see them doing it this time. It will AT LEAST support both Tiger and Leopard.

Peace
?

Do you mean 'no reason for it not to be on sale right now'?

I'm with the believers that this will ship with Leopard, with some nice Core-Animation effects and full 64-bit support etc.

Yes that's what I meant.See my edit.

psychofreak
Jul 4, 2007, 04:45 PM

There aren't too many iLife rumours...

p0intblank
Jul 4, 2007, 04:48 PM
I really hope this is true... I miss the iLife updates so much. :( I can't wait to see what new features are implemented into iMovie.

Teddy's
Jul 4, 2007, 04:51 PM
Anything that starts with Golden must be FUN!

SheriffParker
Jul 4, 2007, 04:52 PM
I hope they make iPhoto faster. Its pretty clunky on my MBP.

SmurfBoxMasta
Jul 4, 2007, 04:54 PM

Unless it's drippin on yo head :D

jay-t
Jul 4, 2007, 04:55 PM
I think we will see in iPhoto also something like cover flow...

Nermal
Jul 4, 2007, 04:56 PM
I don't get very excited about iLife. I use iTunes every day but it's not really part of iLife anymore, and apart from that I use iPhoto maybe once a month.

I was at a software design "code camp" a couple of months ago and there was one guy who was talking about interface design. He used a Mac, his presentation was definitely in Keynote, and he described iLife as "great demoware". I'm inclined to agree.

As a side note, it was great to go to a Microsoft-sponsored event like that and see half the people on Macs :D

J Radical
Jul 4, 2007, 04:58 PM
iLife is a great package but certain apps could do with major work.

iWeb is the most disappointing imo, and iMovie could do with an overhaul.

iWeb is just useless considering the quality of the other apps it competes against, it is easy to use but offers users almost no freedom to implement their own ideas. iMovie could benefit from some of the older features available in FCP and improved stability. iLife could be the best thing ever for computer users with just a bit more work on these apps.

And Garageband is amazing for an app that comes free on every mac, but Apple needs to stay ahead of the competition.

I wonder if technologies like core animation could be used in iPhoto and iTunes to speed up how they handle photos and album art respectively.

MacsRgr8
Jul 4, 2007, 04:58 PM

Not Golden Girls though....

Anyhow, hurray for this!
But... no rumors on possible new features?

MrSmith
Jul 4, 2007, 05:08 PM
Bring it on, I say. :)

MacFly123
Jul 4, 2007, 05:09 PM
Its about ****** time. All I can say is it better be released before the end of August when I buy my MacBook Pro for school. I'm already gunna have to buy Leopard separate, I better not have to buy iLife separate as well :(

Stridder44
Jul 4, 2007, 05:10 PM

Sure, for the iPhone. :rolleyes:

jtrwallace
Jul 4, 2007, 05:10 PM
Well, I'm happy and sad. If iLife comes out before Leopard then I will be compelled to buy it, which sucks. If it comes our with Leopard, then I have to wait for it... I really do hate iPhoto and, unless it does take on the organizational skills of Aperture, it's still a terrible program in my opinion. I actually like iWeb, I'd just like to see more customization. If iDVD and iMovie become less hogs then I'd use them. Toast, even though its kinda limited in selection and options, just makes DVDs that much easier to make. Garageband has always been on my list of remove immediately from my computer because I don't need something like that. Anyway, I'd rather see iWork updated. I used Pages and Keynote for a while but I need it to be a tad more like NeoOffice.

MacFly123
Jul 4, 2007, 05:13 PM
I really hope this is true... I miss the iLife updates so much. :( I can't wait to see what new features are implemented into iMovie.

Better support all these STUPID Hard Drive camcorders that are out now!!!

ImAlwaysRight
Jul 4, 2007, 05:14 PM
New iLife will be preinstalled on the new iMacs. Just another reason to buy one of the new iMacs when they come out in a month or so.

;) :apple:

Dagless
Jul 4, 2007, 05:15 PM
I can't wait to see what they've done with Garageband. Since I graduated I haven't had chance to use Logic any more, and my USB Midi cable would have gone to waste :o

Also very interested in iPhoto. Don't care much for iMovie or the rest.

Peace
If iLife is indeed GM can anyone give me a logical reason why it's not on sale now?.I Think Macscoops has bad info.

Small White Car
Well, I'm happy and sad. If iLife comes out before Leopard then I will be compelled to buy it, which sucks. If it comes our with Leopard, then I have to wait for it.

SO MANY questions...

1) Why would you have to buy it if it comes out before Leopard?

2) Why would that suck?

3) Why would you have to wait if it comes out after Leopard?

Here's the run-down: iLife comes out -> You either buy it or you don't. The End. What does Leopard have to do with this?

MacFly123
Jul 4, 2007, 05:16 PM
I LOVE iLife and use all the apps all the time. It is one of the coolest features of Macs. I want templates in iDVD to make DVD case covers and disc labels that match the themes. Its annoying to make these cool DVDs then just have them blank in an ugly sleeve :(

andrewm
Jul 4, 2007, 05:18 PM
It's nice to finally see another rumor about something software-related.

I must agree with those who complained about iPhoto--I use it frequently, and I love being able to organize my photos so easily, but it's sort of clunky and needs an overhaul. Additionally, I feel that iWeb could use an HTML editor.

And can we please have a Cocoa iTunes? Even if they call it something else and include it only in the iLife suite? I'm sick of this Carbon junk.

poopooplatter
Jul 4, 2007, 05:19 PM
SO MANY questions...

1) Why would you have to buy it if it comes out before Leopard?

2) Why would that suck?

3) Why would you have to wait if it comes out after Leopard?

Here's the run-down: iLife comes out -> You either buy it or you don't. The End. What does Leopard have to do with this?

He's thinking that iLife might be part of Leopard. You misread his post. He doesn't say "after Leopard", he wrote "with Leopard".

Maybe you should take the time to RTFP before being a smart-ass?

weezer160
Jul 4, 2007, 05:22 PM
iPhoto is fat enough as is.

No kidding. I regret not opting for an 80 GB HD.

dartzorichalcos
Jul 4, 2007, 05:24 PM
If it's iLife '07, I am not buying. Might as well wait and buy iLife '08 at MacWorld 2008. I wonder if iTunes 8 will come out with this rumored iLife?

SlowX
Jul 4, 2007, 05:32 PM
Here's me hopping it's not Intel only:
<fingersCrossed>:cool: </fingersCrossed>

Random Ping
Jul 4, 2007, 05:35 PM
First off, if they say nothing's preventing it from being released Summer/September, wouldn't that mean it's not Leopard dependant?

Another speculation I have read recently is that iWeb may have iPhone-specific features. In other words, by using iWeb, you automatically follow Apple's guidelines (http://developer.apple.com/iphone/designingcontent.html) for iPhone web development.

It is always fun to speculate. :D

lou2000
Jul 4, 2007, 05:40 PM
New iLife will be preinstalled on the new iMacs. Just another reason to buy one of the new iMacs when they come out in a month or so.

;) :apple:

By putting a new iLife on new iMacs, Apple could reduce some of the sales slow down they get when people start waiting for Leopard. Especially if its timed for the Back-To-School season.

Last time we got a new iLife, Jobs spent at least a half hour demo-ing it. You would think he would want to do that again - it must have some new fancy features its been 1.5 years since the last one came out. Combine that with a new iMac and maybe a software update for the iPhone and it will get a ton of press coverage. Maybe they will rent that theatre in San Jose again, like they did when the last iMac came out.

If I remember right, a lot of iLife does not take advange of 64 bit or multi core processors. So, I would expect to see some significant speed boosts especially when running under Leopard.

I'm also wondering if maybe iLife will have some iPhone things built in. Hmm... you know maybe it will be cross platform and do something for iPhone users. Apple slowly infiltrates and takes over PCs!

I'll still wait for Leopard before i get a new computer, tho.

Random Ping
Jul 4, 2007, 05:45 PM
iWeb is the most disappointing imo, and iMovie could do with an overhaul. .. And Garageband ...

With so much of the value to the consumer for iPod, iPhone, and AppleTV coming from audio and video podcasts, it is in Apple's best interest to increase the number of production quality of podcasts out there. Hopefully Apple's iLife 07 suite will do just this.

barcodebawtv
Jul 4, 2007, 05:47 PM
iMovie needs more titling options

&

iWeb needs the ability to embed youtube/ google video

firsttube
Jul 4, 2007, 05:53 PM
Whoa. Is this a Mac rumor? Am I on the right website?

All kidding aside, this update is long overdue. That is the understatement of the year.

ortuno2k
Jul 4, 2007, 05:57 PM
Glad to see MR talk about something else other than the iPhone.:)

DaiKirai
Jul 4, 2007, 06:03 PM
I hope GB sees some genuine improvements this time instead of just "New GarageBand 4.0: Create your own iPhone ringtones!"

GregA
Jul 4, 2007, 06:05 PM
Brilliant, if they release it before Leopard it will be at least a month or so before it is actually released, have to let the iPhone talk die down.
Do they have to let it die down?

2 alternatives are that
- some news organisations & people may want something to distract from iPhone :)
- this is apple hype on top of apple hype... and in that sense an addition, rather than a distraction.

The most obvious possibilities (I think) are coverflow, better iMovie integration with AppleTV, an iMovie theme like the AppleTV screen saver (and other coverflow movements), and merging iPhoto's slideshows into iMovie's themed handling of photos.

edit: Though I'm not expecting it... with the 160GB AppleTV, there's no reason we can't flip the 'sync' paradigm. ie: The AppleTV becomes the master repository of songs & photos - and syncs (or partially syncs) to my laptop & other computers in the house.
... of course, a master library could reside anywhere... I just want to get rid of multiple libraries on multiple computers.

Rojo
Jul 4, 2007, 06:16 PM
The only thing that will probably get me buying the latest iLife is a MAJOR overhaul/update of iWeb. I'm dying to build some easy websites, but right now iWeb is just too limiting. Don't really use the other apps that much.

And Apple would be smart to include some kind of iPhone support for iLife/iWork. Imagine being able to update your website from your iPhone! Also, might be nice if the first editable files on the phone would come from Pages or the rumored spreadsheet app. Might be enough to make the non-Mac iPhone users finally switch...

macinfojunkie
Jul 4, 2007, 06:31 PM
The most obvious possibilities (I think) are coverflow, better iMovie integration with AppleTV, an iMovie theme like the AppleTV screen saver (and other coverflow movements), and merging iPhoto's slideshows into iMovie's themed handling of photos.

some great, if not revolutionary ideas there. But very worthwhile natural progressions nonetheless. It would be good to see some of those features make it into iLiFe '07 (heck they might even just go ahead and call it iLife '08. It is about time apple started to make more of the integration between iLife and AppleTV.

edit: Though I'm not expecting it... with the 160GB AppleTV, there's no reason we can't flip the 'sync' paradigm. ie: The AppleTV becomes the master repository of songs & photos - and syncs (or partially syncs) to my laptop & other computers in the house.
... of course, a master library could reside anywhere... I just want to get rid of multiple libraries on multiple computers.

Only viable if you have a tiny library I guess. I can't even fit all my music on an ATV let alone movies, photos and tv shows. That's what the Mac Mini is for! To act as a headless media server for the ATV :-)

Bill Av
Jul 4, 2007, 06:42 PM
iDVD:
1) Auto play
2) Play All

Toast does it. Is it too much to ask for?

Hairball
Jul 4, 2007, 06:43 PM
And Apple would be smart to include some kind of iPhone support for iLife/iWork. Imagine being able to update your website from your iPhone! Also, might be nice if the first editable files on the phone would come from Pages or the rumored spreadsheet app. Might be enough to make the non-Mac iPhone users finally switch...

The rumored spreadsheet app. More than iLife, this is what I'm really waiting for.

twoodcc
Jul 4, 2007, 06:45 PM
it's about time

solvs
Jul 4, 2007, 06:48 PM
iPhoto is fat enough as is.
Good one. :p

That would be cool, and at this point, I'd be surprised if they didn't.

That could be one of the reasons they're holding back. Some big event where they release both. Maybe even a new Mac. I hope it isn't just some quiet update.

If iLife is indeed GM can anyone give me a logical reason why it's not on sale now?
Could be lots of reasons. Maybe they're trying to get it work right with new hardware or software. Maybe they're waiting until later in the year, especially after Leopard and/or the new iMacs. Maybe they just don't want to.

If it's iLife '07, I am not buying. Might as well wait and buy iLife '08 at MacWorld 2008. I wonder if iTunes 8 will come out with this rumored iLife?
I doubt iLife '08 will be out just a few moths later. This probably will be iLife '08. Or just iLife 7.

Here's me hopping it's not Intel only:
<fingersCrossed>:cool: </fingersCrossed>
I doubt that. Also doubt it will be Leopard only. Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot if it's either.

I quickly upgraded past iMovie and iDVD to FCS, but iWeb is cool for quick and easy personal pages and I love GB. I'm not really the target audience though. For my parents, iPhoto is indispensable. For friends of mine, iMovie and iDVD are perfectly fine for what they do. I see a push towards more Youtube like stuff. Where they want to show you how easy it is to edit and share. Either that, or just a quiet release with some new hardware or software, with some mentions later on.

Maybe we'll see something at one of the European MacWorlds.

Twiztedklown316
Jul 4, 2007, 06:55 PM
iMovie...
:rolleyes:
Thats all im saying.

steve_hill4
Jul 4, 2007, 07:31 PM
iDVD:
1) Auto play
2) Play All

Toast does it. Is it too much to ask for?

I was almost thinking is it just me after iDVD updates? I just don't think it's functional enough for auto-play and the like. I don't use it that much, but I find it hard to show people how easy it is to use.

It does support auto-play already though, (go to DVD map view and drag content to box). I just don't think for the average joe it's straight forward enough or gives enough control. Perhaps it's just too simplified for me to properly understand.

morphineseason
Jul 4, 2007, 07:43 PM
From my perspective, I'd say that iDVD needs the most work. I went to use it for the first time the other night, just trying to do a simple task of copying a video file to a dvd, and it was almost unusable. I have a 1.83ghz intel core duo iMac with 2 gigs of RAM, and iDVD just beachballs constantly, to a point where it was literally unusable. During the times when it wasn't beachballing, it was just loading things extremely slow. I'd hate to see what that program does to my iBook G4 (my guess is it would go up in flames immediately).

iWeb, like others have mentioned, has a serious lack of options. Pre-made layouts might attract myspace users, but for web designers it's a joke. The program, overall, just feels like an ad for .Mac.

I don't use iPhoto, mainly because I don't have my own digital camera and I'm not a serious photographer or anything. It seems like a decent organizational program though, but the whole separate trash thing is kind of confusing. iMovie is pretty easy to use and runs pretty well. GarageBand is fun to work with and I could see myself using it for serious audio editing if they brought some more features to it.

I think at this point I'd rather see an upgrade to iWork. I'd really like to see it become a full-fledged Office-like suite. The lack of a universal binary Office suite is really killing me. It would definitely help push more copies of iWork and we wouldn't have to wait forever for Microsoft to put software on a platform that they could obviously care less about (until they're designing a new OS of course).

lamina
Jul 4, 2007, 07:46 PM
Glad to see MR talk about something else other than the iPhone.:)

Actually, I'm glad to see MR talk about something other than something other than the iPhone :) :)

GregA
Jul 4, 2007, 08:17 PM
some great, if not revolutionary ideas there. But very worthwhile natural progressions nonetheless.
Yeah, I was going for some obvious ones.

I'm not sure how much slideshows and movies should merge, but both programs could gain from each other.

Only viable if you have a tiny library I guess. I can't even fit all my music on an ATV let alone movies, photos and tv shows. That's what the Mac Mini is for! To act as a headless media server for the ATV :-)
Yeah, using the AppleTV limits you to 150GB or so - but that's much more space than I can spare on my MBP. Anyway, I'm interested more in the concept of a central library (wherever it may actually be stored) of which I can have a subset on my laptop.

Ideally :) .Mac could keep my whole library... and I could have a subset of content on any of 'my devices' (iMac, AppleTV, iPod, MBP) . And those devices would get that content from each other in preference to downloading from .Mac.

Data
Jul 4, 2007, 08:26 PM
Am i the only one that still hears Steve say that leopard will be fully featured , meaning iLife apps will be part of Leopard on the wwdc last year.

I gues i'll have to wait and find that out come october.

Erasmus
Jul 4, 2007, 08:35 PM
OK, this may be a stupid question, but With Student ADC membership, there's a good chance I'll get Leopard some time after it is released. I suppose iLife and/or iWork as well would be pushing it a bit?

Multimedia
Jul 4, 2007, 08:39 PM
If it's iLife '07, I am not buying. Might as well wait and buy iLife '08 at MacWorld 2008. I wonder if iTunes 8 will come out with this rumored iLife?I doubt they'll release an iLife '07 when the year is more than half over. More likely they'll call it iLife '08 and it'll work with Tiger as well as Leopard although there may be some Leopard Eye Candy. :)

dartzorichalcos
Jul 4, 2007, 09:18 PM
I doubt they'll release an iLife '07 when the year is more than half over. More likely they'll call it iLife '08 and it'll work with Tiger as well as Leopard although there may be some Leopard Eye Candy. :)

What do you think the new features are in the rumored "iLife '08"?

chem
Jul 4, 2007, 09:18 PM
Most important question: if I buy a MacBook Pro, and the new iLife debuts in stores a week or two after I receive my MBP, will I be able to get the new iLife as a free upgrade to the iLife installed on my MBP?

How has Apple handled that in the past for applications?

miloblithe
Jul 4, 2007, 09:43 PM
There are definitely a number of things they could do to improve all the programs. I'd like to see more retouching tools in iPhoto and slightly more complex tonal adjustment options. I'd also like the full info box to be able to be displayed onscreen when in the black background editing mode. I agree iWeb is underdeveloped and could provide a lot more options for people to be creative with their own websites. I'd also like to see real blogging ability, meaning you could log in from a non-mac and update your blog. I don't use iMovie enough to know what I'd want, and I've never used iDVD.

Small White Car
Jul 4, 2007, 09:50 PM
Maybe you should take the time to RTFP before being a smart-ass?

I gave him a chance to answer. You simply interpreted the original post as proof that the poster is stupid. That doesn't sound any nicer to me.

stagi
Jul 4, 2007, 09:54 PM
I doubt they'll release an iLife '07 when the year is more than half over. More likely they'll call it iLife '08 and it'll work with Tiger as well as Leopard although there may be some Leopard Eye Candy. :)

I agree I bet they will call the next release iLife '08

ghall
Jul 4, 2007, 10:00 PM
I'm a strong believer that iLife will be a part of Leopard. It's how it should have been from the start.

Random Ping
Jul 4, 2007, 10:40 PM
Actually, I'm glad to see MR talk about something other than something other than the iPhone :) :)

Silly you :p The primary updates for iLife will be to support the iPhone. :D

sisyphus
Jul 4, 2007, 11:17 PM
AVCHD support in iMovie!

Claypidgeon
Jul 4, 2007, 11:40 PM
Most important question: if I buy a MacBook Pro, and the new iLife debuts in stores a week or two after I receive my MBP, will I be able to get the new iLife as a free upgrade to the iLife installed on my MBP?

How has Apple handled that in the past for applications?

Doubtful, I believe you'd be buying a new iLife.

Gymnut
Jul 5, 2007, 12:06 AM
Here's hoping they package iWork with the iLife suite.

Sped
Jul 5, 2007, 12:20 AM
AVCHD support in iMovie!

I'm in complete agreement. I've thought about buying a new HD camcorder, but the lack of AVCHD support in iMovie gives me pause. I don't really need FCP, but I don't think FCE can handle AVCHD. Apple needs to get this one solved because it used to have a stranglehold on easy home movie making under mini DV.

heisetax
Jul 5, 2007, 01:21 AM
Am i the only one that still hears Steve say that leopard will be fully featured , meaning iLife apps will be part of Leopard on the wwdc last year.

I gues i'll have to wait and find that out come october.

That means we're down to about 17 weeks now. For those that are not iPhone users or supporters we were forced to wait for about 21 weeks. When I sold computers that would be a complete computer cycle. Even for Apple that's half of a computer cycle.

Bill the TaxMan

GregA
Jul 5, 2007, 02:50 AM
Silly you :p The primary updates for iLife will be to support the iPhone. :D
And Apple TV!

From my perspective, I'd say that iDVD needs the most work. I went to use it for the first time the other night, just trying to do a simple task of copying a video file to a dvd, and it was almost unusable. .. .beachballs constantly

iWeb, like others have mentioned, has a serious lack of options. Pre-made layouts might attract myspace users, but for web designers it's a joke. The program, overall, just feels like an ad for .Mac.
iDVD & iWeb probably have the greatest scope for upgrades, so much is changing in those areas. I'd like to see iDVD support BluRay & HDDVD of course... not that I can use it yet.

But how about
a) High Def (h264) video burned onto standard DVDs which play on BluRay/HDDVD players & Macs (Bluray="BD9", HDDVD="3xDVD").
b) Create an iWebsite from an iDVD source
c) iDVD direct to AppleTV

MacinDoc
Jul 5, 2007, 02:54 AM
Could be lots of reasons. Maybe they're trying to get it work right with new hardware or software.
In that was the case, then the rumor would be wrong, because if iLife is GM, then it should already work with any other Apple product that is nearing release. There's no point in having a release candidate that won't work with whatever you're planning to run it on.

superleccy
Jul 5, 2007, 03:16 AM
Questions.

Typically, how long after a product goes "Gold Master" is it normally announced and available to the general public?

And would they have bothered to go Gold Master if they weren't going to release it within those timescales?

SL

Shadow
Jul 5, 2007, 03:31 AM
Questions.

Typically, how long after a product goes "Gold Master" is it normally announced and available to the general public?

IIRC, Vista went RTM (Release to Manufacture, like GM) in November 2006, to be released in January 2007.

mooty
Jul 5, 2007, 03:44 AM
IIRC, Vista went RTM (Release to Manufacture, like GM) in November 2006, to be released in January 2007.

Erm no. Vista went gold, and was released to Business in Nov/Dec, and to Consumers in January 2007, so it could be a matter of weeks. Tiger went gold about 2 weeks before the release date.

BKKbill
Jul 5, 2007, 03:48 AM
I don't understand what has this got to do with iPhones.

ppnkg
Jul 5, 2007, 04:08 AM
What about iWork...?

xUKHCx
Jul 5, 2007, 04:10 AM
What about iWork...?

Well if they have finished iLife then a lot more people can move over to develop iWork.

BrokenChairs
Jul 5, 2007, 05:00 AM
I'm a little excited about this, however I do hope that iMovie and iPhoto get a decent upgrade and that iPhoto can do a little more 'editing' that what it has (but then again that would move into Adobe's ground!). :eek:

Perhaps a new little app to surprise us all??? :)

superleccy
Jul 5, 2007, 05:14 AM
...and that iPhoto can do a little more 'editing' that what it has (but then again that would move into Adobe's ground!).

Agreed. But I know that photo editing "has always been Adobe's ground" - but design of iPhoto and the other iLife apps blows Photoshop Elements away. Adobe really need some proper competition in the entry level / intermediate space, and I'd love that to come from Apple.

Anyway, this is just great timing. :rolleyes: Was going to order a MBP today... guess I'll wait for a few days to see how this pans out.

SL

kcroy
Jul 5, 2007, 06:45 AM
I hope this is true. I would really like to see a new version of iWeb with some much-needed additions.

psychofreak
Jul 5, 2007, 06:50 AM
In that was the case, then the rumor would be wrong, because if iLife is GM, then it should already work with any other Apple product that is nearing release. There's no point in having a release candidate that won't work with whatever you're planning to run it on.

Maybe iLife will require 10.4.10v3, or another OSX update...

Hopefully it will have all the Core Animation goodness...as I doubt many apps will when Leopard is released...

thecritix
Jul 5, 2007, 07:35 AM
Agreed. But I know that photo editing "has always been Adobe's ground" - but design of iPhoto and the other iLife apps blows Photoshop Elements away. Adobe really need some proper competition in the entry level / intermediate space, and I'd love that to come from Apple.

Anyway, this is just great timing. :rolleyes: Was going to order a MBP today... guess I'll wait for a few days to see how this pans out.

SL

Personally I wouldn't expect it to pan out in the next few days, two or three weeks maybe, i suspect they can't release iLife as all of apples dispatch/warehouse team are to busy with some phone thing.

surferfromuk
Jul 5, 2007, 07:50 AM
...and he described iLife as "great demoware". I'm inclined to agree.

ooohh, that's a little harsh and I'd have to disgree with that chap.

I think for 70% of home mac owners the facilities in iLife more than exceed the requirements for what I'd term 'occasional use'.

iMovie/iDVD is at least functionally equivalent, (and certainly operationally superior) than the 'out of the box' Pinnacle Studio. The media integration from iTunes/iPhoto alone puts it to shame.

iBunny
Jul 5, 2007, 08:10 AM
I just hope its faster. Needs better multicore support.

iPhoto just sucks with 10000 photos.

Kashchei
Jul 5, 2007, 09:32 AM
Unless it's drippin on yo head :D

You beat me to it--good on ya!

Foggy
Jul 5, 2007, 09:34 AM
For me I am hoping for better organisational ability in iPhoto. I find their keywords a bit messy, the tagging system in adobe photoshop elements was really good, could organise a nice structured tree of tags.

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 5, 2007, 09:59 AM
i love ilife, but i dont think a new one is coming for a few more months.. :(:(

localoid
Jul 5, 2007, 10:11 AM
Summer NAMM (http://www.summernamm.com/) take place near the end of July, which might be a fitting occasion for Apple to unveil a new and improved GarageBand. Updates for Logic and Logic Express would also be a good thing, but I'm not holding my breath… :rolleyes:

guzhogi
Jul 5, 2007, 10:36 AM
Yay iLife! If it IS GM, then it'll take awhile for them to make all the install discs & packaging. Don't know how long that takes, but a while. I can see iLife as being like Quartz & Quartz Extreme: it'll work on Tiger, but all the really cool features will need Leopard. As for iWork, I don't care. I don't really use it. Maybe if they added a basic drawing program, it'll be better. I work @ an elementary school and Kindergarten, 1st, 2nd grades & some art classes still use it. The drawing feature in it is great for them. Simple but useful. 3rd-5th sometimes uses it, but the district is really pushing to move to MS Office, but there aren't any really good kid-friendly drawing programs for actual work and not just play. We use Kid Pix, but it's too hard to copy to PowerPoint presentations or whatever. So here is what I see needs to be done to the iLife/iWork apps:
-Everything can use Core Animation effects and be faster/more efficient
-New drawing program or add to iPhoto
-iMovie: more HD formats
-iWeb: less of a .Mac ad. For text, leave it as text, not convert to pictures. Add HTML editing.

Other than that, I can't think of anything.

Devil's Refugee
Jul 5, 2007, 10:45 AM
I hope iWeb gets an update. Agree with the HTML editing and text on websites instead of embedded in a picture.

More features please. Can't be hard to produce something which is a cross between iWeb/ Rapidweaver and Dreamweaver in terms of WYSIWYG editing for those with limited web skills or who want a quick web presence.

Lesser Evets
Jul 5, 2007, 11:28 AM
Dear Apple,
Please make iWeb WYSIWYG and have more possibilities for customization.
Amen, geeks.

youngestchild
Jul 5, 2007, 05:20 PM
so what happens to all the ilife 06 discs sitting in warehouses around the world when the next ilife comes out? discounted? trashed? coasters?

i agree with the iphoto update!! it's way to clunky to update photo information... my library is a mess!! :o

Kashchei
Jul 5, 2007, 05:25 PM
Does anyone know how reliable MacScoop generally is? I'd love to hang onto a solid Mac rumor right now since I have little interest in the iPhone for the moment.

Thomas2006
Jul 5, 2007, 06:02 PM
I am sure Apple has worked on making the individual applications more multi-threaded than they already are, but my wants from the individual applications are:

iPhoto

have multiple libraries or able to change libraries from within iPhoto instead of having to hold the option button while iPhoto starts when you want a different library
option to password protect each library
ability to cut/copy/paste or drag-and-drop between film rolls even when a search is used.

iWeb

able to add a link to the navigation menu that can link to a page that is not an iWeb template.
able to publish directly to non .mac web site.

iMovie

make it so we can copy clips so we can get more than one use out of each one.
improve the timeline editing to support 2 video and 3 audio tracks.

iTunes

Get music videos, video podcasts, TV Shows, and movies to play sound through speakers connected to the AirPort Express with AirTunes

Bendit
Jul 5, 2007, 07:14 PM
iLife 07/08 will be released at the same time, or after, Leopard (and require it). It will be the killer app that will want to make normal consumers want to upgrade.

ChrisA
Jul 5, 2007, 07:56 PM
I bet the new iLife has something in it that is iPhone related. If so this could explain the timing. They had to wait until the iPhone was out the door.

Likely some way to download your photos, movies, slide shows and web pages onto the iPhone. Or maybe the iPhone camera can send photos and video to iLife apps.

EagerDragon
Jul 5, 2007, 10:07 PM
finally non-iPhone related rumors.

EagerDragon
Jul 5, 2007, 10:19 PM
I like to see imovie let me import clips, create a project and allow me to save the clips under the file system as separate clips so they can be used in multiple projects. Right now the clips are part of the project and can not be used in other projects.

JFreak
Jul 6, 2007, 12:32 AM
iPhoto have multiple libraries or able to change libraries from within iPhoto instead of having to hold the option button while iPhoto starts when you want a different library

That would be great; however, what's wrong in changing the library manually? It's still a whole lot easier than changing iTunes Library compared to that, changing iPhoto Library is a snap.

MacFly123
Jul 6, 2007, 02:20 AM
That would be great; however, what's wrong in changing the library manually? It's still a whole lot easier than changing iTunes Library compared to that, changing iPhoto Library is a snap.

How do you change iTunes library??? I didn't know you could do that.

BWhaler
Jul 6, 2007, 03:30 AM

Agreed.

iWork has such potential. If Apple would just stop treating iWork like a .mac for business, and instead treat it like the mod-tier, small & medium business document creator, they will get more SMB business....

Thomas2006
Jul 6, 2007, 07:29 AM
I have two libraries, one for personal photos like family, friends, vacations, etc. and another for photos that I want to keep but are not personal to me. The photos in the second library usually come in forwarded emails and consist of things like cloud formations, tornadoes, ice sculptures, funny signs (i.e. Welcome to Heavenly Hills population 666), animals, etc.

If someone sends me an email with photos of themselves and of something I want to keep it is an inconvenience to have to switch between libraries to get them sorted properly. I am using iPhoto Library Manager right now, but as good as it is, it still takes some work to get photos moved/copied.

MikeTheC
Jul 6, 2007, 08:56 PM
I'm glad to hear Apple is keeping the iLife suite alive. It really helps to add value to Apple's hardware and software product line.

As for myself, I really only use iTunes and iPhoto. I don't have a video camera (and don't plan on buying one anytime soon) so iMovie and iDVD are pretty useless to me personally, though I certainly feel they're very nice tools. And every once in a while I break out Garage Band to mess around with.

gauchogolfer
Jul 6, 2007, 09:13 PM

If people are looking for an easy way to manage iPhoto Libraries, I highly recommend iPhoto Buddy. It's been nice for me keeping work and family pictures separate on my laptop.

mintlivedotcom
Jul 29, 2007, 01:19 AM
If people are looking for an easy way to manage iPhoto Libraries, I highly recommend iPhoto Buddy. It's been nice for me keeping work and family pictures separate on my laptop.

I love iPhoto Buddy, but not it's swiftness. Beachballs are burned in my retinas from it.

Will_reed
Jul 30, 2007, 02:09 AM
I wanna see some big garageband updates, Not entirely sure what those will be but maybe if It had skype recording?
that would be awesome.