PDA

View Full Version : Download images from card/delete/eject?

nycxaro
Jul 4, 2007, 09:54 PM
Is there any way to automate the following by only plugging in the card?

1. download images shot in raw to a specified folder
2. delete the images from the card
3. eject the card

.JahJahwarrior.
Jul 4, 2007, 10:47 PM
No clue on the automation thing, but I format cards in-camera. Some people say doing otherwise is horrible, I just don't see the point. I keep the data on the cards that way until I need the card again, which could be useful, if you accidentilly delete or lose photos before you can copy them to multiple places for safekeeping.

seenew
Jul 5, 2007, 12:07 AM
If you're in OS X, use Automator.

chriscorbin
Jul 5, 2007, 12:08 AM
Is there any way to automate the following by only plugging in the card?

1. download images shot in raw to a specified folder
2. delete the images from the card
3. eject the card

Don't worry about deleting images on the card, just use the camera to re-format them every time you empty your card, as for the automation thing, I don't know how this would be done, but when you find out let me know it could be very useful

bocomo
Jul 5, 2007, 03:05 PM
the latest version of bridge has a "get photos from camera" function that automatically pops up when you attach your card to the computer. other software can do this too, i just can't remember which (can't keep up with them all!)

nycxaro
Jul 5, 2007, 05:41 PM
I have been using Image Capture to automatically download the files from the card and delete the images from the card. I understand that formatting in the camera is better, but I have not had any problems so far. I guess I am the type to change when something bad happens... perhaps I should change that.

What I really hoped for was to find a way to eject the card as soon as the images are finished downloading. I fooled around with automator, but I see no option to eject the card when the download is complete. Anyone else have any ideas?

jburns
Jul 5, 2007, 08:57 PM
I have been using Image Capture to automatically download the files from the card and delete the images from the card. I understand that formatting in the camera is better, but I have not had any problems so far. I guess I am the type to change when something bad happens... perhaps I should change that.

What I really hoped for was to find a way to eject the card as soon as the images are finished downloading. I fooled around with automator, but I see no option to eject the card when the download is complete. Anyone else have any ideas?

I have been shooting digital since a 16MB card was a big one. I have never formated a card. I just delete. At one point I was seeing how many cameras I could have using the same card. I got up to 5 before I lost interest. Each camera made its own directory and there was never any problem using the card in any of the cameras.

YMMV but until I have at least one problem I don't see the need to reformat every time I download images.

bocomo
Jul 7, 2007, 12:50 AM
YMMV but until I have at least one problem I don't see the need to reformat every time I download images.

that's just asking for trouble. is it that big of a deal to hit a couple of buttons on your camera to reformat? i just hate to think of you losing a bunch of important images my friend

ChrisBrightwell
Jul 7, 2007, 01:37 AM
I had a SmartMedia card that got wonky every once in a while doing the old "copy and delete" method. I started formatting it in-camera every data dump or so and never had that problem again.

sblasl
Jul 7, 2007, 07:26 PM
I always re-format my card "in camera" after transferring the files to my Mac.

jburns
Jul 10, 2007, 11:25 PM
that's just asking for trouble. is it that big of a deal to hit a couple of buttons on your camera to reformat? i just hate to think of you losing a bunch of important images my friend
No, but I don't reformat my hard drive every week. I doubt the rate of problems are any different whether you format every time or just delete.