PDA

View Full Version : Leopard on iBook G4?

pink-pony115
Jul 5, 2007, 12:56 AM
Hey.
Sorry to make a new thread about this. If there is any other threads similiar, please point me into the right direction. I have an iBook G4 1.2 GHz ppc. I know for sure that I will have to upgrade memory, but is there anything else? Or would it be better to just get a new MacBook? I'm very aware of my member status, so I plead some of you "MR Lords" take me under your wing. :p

Thanks for your time.

mad jew
Jul 5, 2007, 01:00 AM
It should be fine with leopard. How much RAM do you currently have? :)

iBookG4user
Jul 5, 2007, 01:01 AM
You should be able to run Leopard, although you'll want to max out your RAM to get the best performance.

iW00t
Jul 5, 2007, 02:12 AM
I think you should just buy a used Macbook (seriously)

You are looking at paying $129 to get Leopard onto your iBook. Come october you can probably get a first gen CD MacBook for around $600. Just sell your iBook off for some dough and top up a bit, and voila!

iBookG4user
Jul 5, 2007, 02:20 AM
I think you should just buy a used Macbook (seriously)

You are looking at paying $129 to get Leopard onto your iBook. Come october you can probably get a first gen CD MacBook for around $600. Just sell your iBook off for some dough and top up a bit, and voila!

But you're still going to have to buy Leopard for the MacBook. The OP could see how Leopard is on the iBook and see if they see the need to buy a MacBook after. And if they do just use the Leopard copy they bought on the CD MacBook after they sell the iBook.

Blueprint
Jul 5, 2007, 04:32 AM
Hey.
Sorry to make a new thread about this. If there is any other threads similiar, please point me into the right direction. I have an iBook G4 1.2 GHz ppc. I know for sure that I will have to upgrade memory, but is there anything else? Or would it be better to just get a new MacBook? I'm very aware of my member status, so I plead some of you "MR Lords" take me under your wing. :p

Thanks for your time.

I would just say wait until Leopard is out, see if people who have the same setup as you can run it well or not and if they are unable to then buy the cheapest MB pre-loaded with Leopard,

Eraserhead
Jul 5, 2007, 05:32 AM
I'd have thought it'd be fine with Leopard, probably similar to Tiger, you probably need 1GB RAM or so.

Though an MB would provide a significant performance boost, it depends how much you have or want to spend.

DoFoT9
Jul 5, 2007, 05:52 AM
so a 1.2ghz g4 with 1.5gb ram will easily run it???

janey
Jul 5, 2007, 05:55 AM
so a 1.2ghz g4 with 1.5gb ram will easily run it???

why not?

and fwiw, in your sig, core duo is more commonly known as CD not C1D, it was never called a core 1 duo...

mad jew
Jul 5, 2007, 05:56 AM
Yeah, it should be fine. :)

DoFoT9
Jul 5, 2007, 05:58 AM
why not?

and fwiw, in your sig, core duo is more commonly known as CD not C1D, it was never called a core 1 duo...

noob mistake there. every1 makes them. mybad

Edit: lol now my CD runs 2.16ghz (as in compact disk)

Blueprint
Jul 5, 2007, 06:23 AM
noob mistake there. every1 makes them. mybad

Edit: lol now my CD runs 2.16ghz (as in compact disk)

Thats because most people who run CD 2.16GHz would just put 2.16GHz :p

I still stand by getting yourself a new MB or MBP pre-loaded with Leopard - obviously depending on finances - the 2.0GHz white one is $990 with discount

DoFoT9
Jul 5, 2007, 06:26 AM
Thats because most people who run CD 2.16GHz would just put 2.16GHz :p

I still stand by getting yourself a new MB or MBP pre-loaded with Leopard - obviously depending on finances - the 2.0GHz white one is $990 with discount

oohh yea true.....i spose i shouldnt reveal that ive still got the CD aye...lol

mb is $1599 where i am (aussie $$$$ lol)
still in school...finances....minimal :( actually their non-existant

Blueprint
Jul 5, 2007, 07:00 AM
oohh yea true.....i spose i shouldnt reveal that ive still got the CD aye...lol

mb is $1599 where i am (aussie $$$$ lol)
still in school...finances....minimal :( actually their non-existant

I guess then your best to sit tight and see what other people with the same setup think of running leopard – there’s no point in buying something new if your current system will run it fine :), you could always save up birthday money but that might take a while, Could try asking for one for Christmas although it is a very expensive present lol

GL with what ever you decide to do though because any choice you make should be a good one, unless its moving to a new laptop pre-loaded with Vista :D

DoFoT9
Jul 5, 2007, 07:05 AM
I guess then your best to sit tight and see what other people with the same setup think of running leopard – there’s no point in buying something new if your current system will run it fine :), you could always save up birthday money but that might take a while, Could try asking for one for Christmas although it is a very expensive present lol

GL with what ever you decide to do though because any choice you make should be a good one, unless its moving to a new laptop pre-loaded with Vista :D

dadda said hes getting a new imac when their out... soo excited lol. ok so g4 ibook with max ram is fine :) awsome

AlexisV
Jul 5, 2007, 09:07 AM
Some of the Core Animation stuff won't work on older video cards so you might lose a couple of the fancy features on older Macs.

pink-pony115
Jul 5, 2007, 11:10 PM
It should be fine with leopard. How much RAM do you currently have? :)

256 MB. I'm still in decision making. The eaisest option considering with my family, will be to hold out until christmas for a MB. With a performance boost, iLife upgraded (hopefuly), and leopard built in, less stress is the best! :)

mad jew
Jul 6, 2007, 02:40 AM
Well you'll need a lot more than 256MB. If you can upgrade your machine to 640MB or preferably to over 1GB of RAM then you'll be right. Otherwise just stick to your current OS.

HaveBlue83
Aug 5, 2007, 08:07 PM
I am waiting to see how they will work as well. I already upgraded to the 1GB RAM, so i am good there. and 1.42Ghz is working for me right now.

Hopefully it works witout a hitch, so i can stay in the loop......lol...

DoFoT9
Aug 6, 2007, 01:39 AM
i recon thtl easily run leopard. apple isnt, microsoft, the OS will actually run faster!!!! not slower (thts the plan neway)