PDA

View Full Version : Restore AppleTV to its original state with nothing

taylorwilsdon
Jul 5, 2007, 07:47 PM
Long story short, I formatted my AppleTV harddrive assuming the OS image I downloaded from the internet would just restore right onto it and things would be back to OEM. However, thats not the case and I'm hoping somebody can lead me back to the AppleTV as just an AppleTV (I'd been running OSX on it for a while)

Links to downloads, instructions on a restore that brings it back to the correct file system and other tips would be much appreciated. I have a PC and a Mac to work with so instructions with either are fine.

Thanks!

taylorwilsdon
Jul 7, 2007, 12:49 AM
Halp?

I don't want to run back to hackintosh with my tail between my legs.

taylorwilsdon
Sep 3, 2007, 03:31 AM
Help again :(

ClassicBean
Sep 3, 2007, 08:27 AM
1) Unplug the :apple:TV from the back

2) Wait 45 minutes

3) Hit yourself on the forehead three times as you shout "Stupid...Stupid...Stupid"

4) Plug the device back in. If the :apple:TV is not restored, repeat steps 1, 2, and 3 again up to three times.

5) If step 4 fails, you're f@cked up the @rse.

MikeDTyke
Sep 3, 2007, 08:30 AM
Beg someone to give you a valid image.

Or buy another, image it and then try and return it. You'll probably have to cough up 20% restocking fee. Or perhaps give it away as a gift?

:rolleyes:

MikeDTyke
Sep 3, 2007, 08:32 AM
Long story short, I formatted my AppleTV harddrive assuming the OS image I downloaded from the internet would just restore right onto it and things would be back to OEM. However, thats not the case and I'm hoping somebody can lead me back to the AppleTV as just an AppleTV (I'd been running OSX on it for a while)

Links to downloads, instructions on a restore that brings it back to the correct file system and other tips would be much appreciated. I have a PC and a Mac to work with so instructions with either are fine.

Thanks!

Gotta ask the dumb question, is the dmg corrupt? If not and it's putting files in the right place, your probable issue is that you've not blessed the drive after the restore. :D

taylorwilsdon
Sep 22, 2007, 05:25 PM
Beg someone to give you a valid image.

Or buy another, image it and then try and return it. You'll probably have to cough up 20% restocking fee. Or perhaps give it away as a gift?

:rolleyes:

Given that some thought but its dishonest. I'd have to pay 10% (about $30) which is worth it, but I don't want to physically crack it open and return it warranty less.

Would anybody here take a full image of their appletv and send it to me somehow? I could set up a FTP server that they could upload it to. I'd really appreciate it!

taylorwilsdon
Oct 13, 2007, 05:48 PM

pseybold
Oct 13, 2007, 06:25 PM
i have a apple tv that has not been hacked in anyway (and i dont ever planb on it). if i can make an image without hacking anything ill send it to you...youll just have to tell me what to do. hope this helps.

taylorwilsdon
Oct 14, 2007, 03:12 PM
i have a apple tv that has not been hacked in anyway (and i dont ever planb on it). if i can make an image without hacking anything ill send it to you...youll just have to tell me what to do. hope this helps.

I appreciate it I'll try to find a method for unhacked atvs.

taylorwilsdon
Nov 11, 2007, 06:13 PM
Still looking :eek:

taylorwilsdon
Mar 19, 2008, 06:59 PM
I'm downloading this from apple:

http://mesu.apple.com/data/OS/061-2988.20070620.bHy75/2Z694-5248-45.dmg

Here's to hoping I can get my Appletv that only worked for the week they came out back up and running!

Cave Man
Mar 19, 2008, 07:37 PM
I'm downloading this from apple:

http://mesu.apple.com/data/OS/061-2988.20070620.bHy75/2Z694-5248-45.dmg

Here's to hoping I can get my Appletv that only worked for the week they came out back up and running!

I seriously doubt that'll work. That probably only has the OSBoot partition, and not the bootloader. You didn't image your ATV drive? That's a bummer.

taylorwilsdon
Mar 19, 2008, 08:21 PM
I seriously doubt that'll work. That probably only has the OSBoot partition, and not the bootloader. You didn't image your ATV drive? That's a bummer.

I did and then the drive it was saved on corrupted.

Cave Man
Mar 19, 2008, 08:48 PM
Do you have iPartition?

taylorwilsdon
Mar 24, 2008, 06:47 PM
Do you have iPartition?

I don't, but I wouldn't mind buying it. What would I need it for?

smen
May 21, 2008, 10:30 AM
I have te same problem, no complete backup and a really screwed up appletv.

So is there any one who has SSH en FTP installed on his/her Appletv and can make a dd image of the complete harddrive... or the efi, recovery en OSBoot partition.

I will provide a FTP server or whatever is needed to get that image.

taylorwilsdon
May 21, 2008, 11:25 AM
I have te same problem, no complete backup and a really screwed up appletv.

So is there any one who has SSH en FTP installed on his/her Appletv and can make a dd image of the complete harddrive... or the efi, recovery en OSBoot partition.

I will provide a FTP server or whatever is needed to get that image.

smen, if you pm me your address then I can send you a CD with the full image to restore your appletv.

Or, if you prefer, I could probably upload it to the FTP server as well.

MLBuccheri
Oct 16, 2008, 09:59 PM
smen, if you pm me your address then I can send you a CD with the full image to restore your appletv.

Or, if you prefer, I could probably upload it to the FTP server as well.

Hey I could use tis can you contact me?

-M

cedricchase
Dec 18, 2008, 01:07 AM
Terribly sorry to bump an old post, but I am also in need of a vanilla appletv image. My atv has a corrupted something or other and i need to restore the original stuff to the HDD. Thanks for any help!

Johnbmtl
Mar 8, 2009, 02:18 PM
Not sure if you're still looking but you can get the complete disk image from Apple.

http://mesu.apple.com/data/OS/061-4632.2080414.gt5rW/2Z694-5428-3.dmg

Cave Man
Mar 8, 2009, 02:39 PM
Not sure if you're still looking but you can get the complete disk image from Apple.

http://mesu.apple.com/data/OS/061-4632.2080414.gt5rW/2Z694-5428-3.dmg

That's only an OSBoot partition. That will not salvage a hard drive.

smen
Mar 9, 2009, 02:24 AM
see:
http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/ATVBackup

At the end of the page is a section: "Oops i did not make a backup".
That worked for me.

danielpepe
Aug 11, 2010, 04:21 AM
see:
http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/ATVBackup

At the end of the page is a section: "Oops i did not make a backup".
That worked for me.

I am afraid none of the dmg to download from apple are available. Any other places to get it???

If someone could please be so kind to share a copy. I am also here with a nice box doing nothing....