PDA

View Full Version : Poisoned v. 3 = Kazaa for mac (no compiling!)

AHDuke99
Jul 18, 2003, 05:19 PM
Now, for those who could never get giFT compiled before, Poisoned has the giFT daemon built in, you can have the Fasttrack, OpenFT, and Gnutella rigth at your fingertips. OpenNap coming soon.

tpjunkie
Jul 19, 2003, 10:59 AM
Posioned v .3 has been released, and includedes precompiled versions of giFT and giFT-FastTrack...no more downloading from cvs servers and compiling in the terminal....

http://www.gottsilla.net/software.php?site=poisoned

nuckinfutz
Jul 19, 2003, 10:59 AM
I am hearing VERY good things about his app.

Wow this could be really good. A Mac p2p app with no spyware. That's killer enough right there.

sparkleytone
Jul 19, 2003, 11:07 AM
its a pretty good app. its just too bad that p2p sucks in general anyways. p2p is in a horrible state, is completely unreliable and slow. give me bittorrent or give me death.

benixau
Jul 19, 2003, 11:13 AM
we lazy
give us link

please :D

nuckinfutz
Jul 19, 2003, 11:20 AM
http://gottsilla.net/software.php?site=poisoned

irmongoose
Jul 19, 2003, 11:24 AM
Link! (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20289) I'm downloading it now...

Thanks for the heads up, AHDuke99!

irmongoose

MrMacMan
Jul 19, 2003, 12:17 PM
Its good, I have been using like .131 because in .2 I don't like the menu's...

in .3 is FastTrack and Gnutella already installed, if so that would kick!

nspeds
Jul 19, 2003, 12:18 PM
So far, all I get is "waiting" and no downloads.

Bittorrent is bad, your IP is reported to the BSA and then they label it pirate. REAL bad if you have a static.

mangoduck
Jul 19, 2003, 02:37 PM
oh boy. stats! lots and lots of download stats!

seems to work much more reliably than mlmac so far.

MrMacMan
Jul 19, 2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by mangoduck
oh boy. stats! lots and lots of download stats!

seems to work much more reliably than mlmac so far.

It is because it runs mainly on OpenFT, which is made much better then mlMac.

edit: BTW, it looks like it STILL doesn't have FastTrack compiled anyway, look I only see OpenFT listed on my connected networks. :rolleyes:

tpjunkie
Jul 20, 2003, 08:38 AM
FastTrack is compiled into it, I downloaded the app yesterday...the great thing about the giFT daemon is the way it operates, setting up an http proxy server on your computer instead of directly using the fasttrack and gnutella ports, which my campus network blocked after the RIAA went after RPI (our big football rivals, and neighboring school)...with giFT you can still download right around the firewall!

PS thanks for merging the threads mods, i didn't notice the other when I posted

Stike
Jul 20, 2003, 10:14 AM
I just started it and I get no connections anywhere. No firewall installed/active. Strange.
Does the connection take some time?

bennetsaysargh
Jul 20, 2003, 11:28 AM
i hope this is good. i hate limewire, and aqusution only connects to 5 servers.

ecino1
Jul 20, 2003, 12:19 PM
Works amazingly. Connects to fasttrack super quick, and gets tons of files available. All the downloads I have tried get good speed around 40k/s. Awesome software!

topicolo
Jul 20, 2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by sparkleytone
its a pretty good app. its just too bad that p2p sucks in general anyways. p2p is in a horrible state, is completely unreliable and slow. give me bittorrent or give me death.

Yeah, bittorrent rox! too bad all the tracker sites go down a week after they're put up :(. There are also rumors that the MPAA is starting to track people down on bt.

Stike
Jul 20, 2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by ecino1
Works amazingly. Connects to fasttrack super quick, and gets tons of files available. All the downloads I have tried get good speed around 40k/s. Awesome software!

Do you have a hint for me... it just doesnīt work. There are zeros everywhere, I click conntect, but not one connection is displayed. Searches yield no results either.

EDIT: I figured it out. I used "GiFTBox" once and it updated the ft-daemon. I get connections now with Poisoned :p :)

ecino1
Jul 20, 2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Stike
Do you have a hint for me... it just doesnīt work. There are zeros everywhere, I click conntect, but not one connection is displayed. Searches yield no results either.

EDIT: I figured it out. I used "GiFTBox" once and it updated the ft-daemon. I get connections now with Poisoned :p :)

Hmmm.... Well I didn't do anything special to get it working. I did no do any compiling of GiFT or any of that. One thing that may help you is to do procedure written right bellow the download Poisioned link on the site listed in this thread. It is basically a short terminal procedure that deletes a file that may cause problems. But other than that all I did was boot up the app and it connected to all the networks right away. Good luck. Check the screenshot --- TONS of files on the Fasttrack network!!

EDIT: I did NOT change any pref's at ALL in the application. I am not sure if you did change your pref's, or if that could mess it up possibly. But I didnt change anything, including changing the download/upload folder. Hence the screenshot showing only 1 file shared! I guess it would be worth a shot to trash the app and its pref's and reinstall it again. Maybee try it first without changing any settings/prefs to see if you have any luck. Once again, I have no idea if you did/ didnt change anything so forgive me if you havent done this, or already havent tried this.

MrMacMan
Jul 20, 2003, 08:03 PM
Hmmm.... Well I didn't do anything special to get it working. I did no do any compiling of GiFT or any of that. One thing that may help you is to do procedure written right bellow the download Poisioned link on the site listed in this thread. It is basically a short terminal procedure that deletes a file that may cause problems. But other than that all I did was boot up the app and it connected to all the networks right away. Good luck. Check the screenshot --- TONS of files on the Fasttrack network!!

EDIT: I did NOT change any pref's at ALL in the application. I am not sure if you did change your pref's, or if that could mess it up possibly. But I didnt change anything, including changing the download/upload folder. Hence the screenshot showing only 1 file shared! I guess it would be worth a shot to trash the app and its pref's and reinstall it again. Maybee try it first without changing any settings/prefs to see if you have any luck. Once again, I have no idea if you did/ didnt change anything so forgive me if you havent done this, or already havent tried this.

damn, I have files in my .gift folder (hidden) so I'll see if deleting them will let me get access finally!!!

Stike
Jul 20, 2003, 08:05 PM
Hmmm.... Well I didn't do anything special to get it working. I did no do any compiling of GiFT or any of that. One thing that may help you is to do procedure written right bellow the download Poisioned link on the site listed in this thread. Good luck. Check the screenshot --- TONS of files on the Fasttrack network!!

I use Tinkertool, so I didnīt need the Terminal to delete an invisible folder. I trashed the old giFT Folder, and the Poisoned Prefs too!
Suddenly it works!
Thank you ecino! :D

MrMacMan
Jul 20, 2003, 08:20 PM
cool, I trashed the old stuff and it works... but does anyone know why I can't seem to share files?

It is kinda weird and has been syncing files forreevverr. :rolleyes:

Stike
Jul 20, 2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
It is kinda weird and has been syncing files forreevverr. :rolleyes:

Hmmmm!!!
It is still syncing here, but I am not wondering - I guess over 10.000 files take a while :eek: ;)

mac15
Jul 20, 2003, 09:11 PM
thanks now it works, they really need to let people know that you must trash your old prefs and the .gift folder

MrMacMan
Jul 20, 2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by mac15
thanks now it works, they really need to let people know that you must trash your old prefs and the .gift folder

yeah, they should tell people that.

And version .31 need fast sync.

ecino1
Jul 21, 2003, 12:58 AM
Awesome, nice to see everyone is able to enjoy the software now. Man there are tons of files on fasttrack!

job
Jul 21, 2003, 10:05 AM
Has anyone actually been able to download anything?

All I get is 'Waiting.'

void
Jul 21, 2003, 10:33 AM
For Some Reason, i can't open any of the mp3's... iTunes doesnt like them...

job
Jul 21, 2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by void
For Some Reason, i can't open any of the mp3's... iTunes doesnt like them...

That's odd.

mp3s work just fine for me.

Oh, downloading works for me now. I just have to wait for a while. :p ;)

MrMacMan
Jul 21, 2003, 10:55 PM
Yeah I can open all of the files I never downloaded. :rolleyes:

Some stuff on FastTrack has weird file compressions, 191 Kbps? Meh?

They still work though.

job
Jul 22, 2003, 01:07 AM
Some stuff on FastTrack has weird file compressions, 191 Kbps? Meh?

It's probably due to the encoding.

An odd ball number like 191 would tend to mean the song was encoded with VBR.

MrMacMan
Jul 22, 2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by job
It's probably due to the encoding.

An odd ball number like 191 would tend to mean the song was encoded with VBR.

Still really weird. Do they think it sounds better then 190 Encoding? :p

bennetsaysargh
Jul 22, 2003, 12:00 PM
i don't download anything lower than 128Kbps. except that one file that was 127Kbps.:p i even saw a 99Kbps one there. odd odd people:p

arn
Jul 22, 2003, 12:09 PM
Still really weird. Do they think it sounds better then 190 Encoding? :p

um... VBR = Variable Bit encoding. You set a target bitrate, but you give it room to encode at higher bitrates or lower bitrates depending on the complexity of the music.

The resultant bitrate is the average.

arn

MrMacMan
Jul 22, 2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by arn
um... VBR = Variable Bit encoding. You set a target bitrate, but you give it room to encode at higher bitrates or lower bitrates depending on the complexity of the music.

The resultant bitrate is the average.

arn

Um, I knew what he meant, but thanks for the... clarification (for others who don't).

In some parts of the song it could be higher, and in some parts of the song it could be lower, averaging out to the encoding they set it to.

yada yada, etc, etc.

Xero
Jul 22, 2003, 04:32 PM
ok this program is working nicely for me but theres one big problem. this app uses almost constant 100%CPU. that reall annoys me, as my fan is going full blast when it shouldnt be. man i hop they fix this.

tpjunkie
Jul 22, 2003, 05:40 PM
ok this program is working nicely for me but theres one big problem. this app uses almost constant 100%CPU. that reall annoys me, as my fan is going full blast when it shouldnt be. man i hop they fix this.

I'm not sure what problem you're having, it uses about 8% of my CPU according to top in terminal...

Xero
Jul 22, 2003, 05:51 PM
well the program itself doesn't show any suspicious use of CPU [in process view]. but when running the cpu monitor app, its shows almost constant 100%cpu usage. and when i quit poisoned, it drops back to normal.

Balin64
Jul 22, 2003, 06:19 PM
Wow. I just downloaded mlMac last week and Poisoned today. Good Bye LimeWire! I like the interface on both apps, and I get constant downloads in the 30 K range. I did notice a bit of a slowdown when running Poisoned on my iBook. But my G4 Power Mac does not slow down a bit!

MrMacMan
Jul 22, 2003, 10:22 PM
Yeah both mlMac and Poisoned seem to use alot of CPU when open but a ton less when closed, even though both is only a GUI for the thing that really does the work, the Protocol or daemon.

capitalhood
Jul 22, 2003, 10:31 PM
i just used poisoned and its awesome once you figure out where all of its pieces are... hmmm it needs better interface

bennetsaysargh
Jul 22, 2003, 11:13 PM
one feature that i love in acquisition is the ability to delete search results. i think that should be in every P2P app.

MrMacMan
Jul 23, 2003, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
one feature that i love in acquisition is the ability to delete search results. i think that should be in every P2P app.
Well you can only delete the search itself not items, which I find good enough, just click the search in the drawer and then hit delete!

MrMacMan
Jul 23, 2003, 09:04 PM
Version .311 has been released, Gnutella has been updated

No more 'max/top' 999/1000 user limit, Go grab it today!

BTW, if you have a sugestion your advice will be taken into consideration for the next version, he updates frequently because it is a great product.

Huked on Fonick
Jul 31, 2003, 03:06 PM
does its till create a space saver the size of the file for every download?

saint.duo
Aug 4, 2003, 02:38 AM
Do you have a link to back this claim up? I'm having trouble finding any information either way.

Considering that BT was originally developed to ease the load of downloads on servers, using distribution, I doubt that this is true.

Originally posted by nspeds
Bittorrent is bad, your IP is reported to the BSA and then they label it pirate. REAL bad if you have a static.