PDA

View Full Version : New Apple Keyboard Coming With iMac Refresh

MacRumors
Jul 9, 2007, 11:51 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

AppleInsider believes that the coming iMac refresh will also bring a new, sleeker keyboard (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/07/09/next_gen_imacs_to_bundle_new_apple_keyboard.html).

Tapping the wizardry of industrial design chief Jonathan Ive and his team, the Cupertino-based Mac maker has reportedly crafted a super-slim external keyboard for the new Macs. It's said to draw upon the aesthetic and feel of the low-profile keyboard which was first integrated with the company's 13-inch MacBook portables in May of 2006.

The last change to Apple's wired desktop keyboard accessory was in 2003, when Apple introduced the aptly named "Apple Keyboard" (http://www.macrumors.com/2003/05/06/apple-keyboard-and-apple-mouse/).

AppleInsider has said that the iMac update can be expected in late July to mid August (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/18/20-and-24-imacs-due-mid-to-late-summer/), with ThinkSecret specifying August (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/06/brushed-aluminum-imacs-in-august/) as the likely arrival timeframe. Both sites expect a trimmed-down frame, with ThinkSecret citing the use of brushed aluminum, perhaps to roughly mirror the looks of the iPhone.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/09/new-apple-keyboard-coming-with-imac-refresh/)

starflyer
Jul 9, 2007, 11:53 AM
Interesting...I like the macbooks keyboard. A welcomed change.

AidenShaw
Jul 9, 2007, 11:54 AM
I'd rather have a laptop with a desktop-inspired keyboard, than a desktop with a laptop-inspired keyboard.

interlaced
Jul 9, 2007, 11:54 AM
ooh i can't wait to see it.

whooleytoo
Jul 9, 2007, 11:55 AM
I'd rather have a laptop with a desktop-inspired keyboard, than a desktop with a laptop-inspired keyboard.

Ditto. I'm not a fan of the MacBook keyboard.

Peace
Jul 9, 2007, 11:56 AM
So it looks like the keyboard could be sold separately ?

longofest
Jul 9, 2007, 11:56 AM

Very true. I hope they aren't thinking about reviving the original iMac keyboard. Although I still use it as my server's keyboard as it is nice as small (so it is easy to tuck away), it is horrendous to type on.

Sandfleaz
Jul 9, 2007, 11:57 AM
Setting a unified appearance with product (iPhone like) starting with the iMac, then the new iPod makes sense. Can't wait to see them!

bretm
Well, once again I'll have to mention that the iPhone, nor any of Apple's products contain brushed anything. The iPhone has a chrome frame with cheap silver paint on the back that scrathes and chips off quite easily. Hope they don't make the iMac after that.

vendettabass
backlighted would be very nice!

devilot
Jul 9, 2007, 11:58 AM
I'd rather have a laptop with a desktop-inspired keyboard, than a desktop with a laptop-inspired keyboard.I dunno, I love Apple's notebook keyboards. More than any other (yes including desktop) keyboards I've ever used. Especially as I type this on a horrifically noisy HP KB that has travel for miles. :p

iMeowbot
Jul 9, 2007, 11:58 AM
If they're to be anything like the IceKey then it's long overdue. The current generation of Apple desktop keyboards is just awful, giant dirt and liquid traps with cheap feel.

BenRoethig
Jul 9, 2007, 12:00 PM
I absolutely hate the feel of the Macbook keyboard. The keys are too big and generally very difficult to type on.

bretm
Jul 9, 2007, 12:00 PM
If they're to be anything like the IceKey then it's long overdue. The current generation of Apple desktop keyboards is just awful, giant dirt and liquid traps with cheap feel.

All keyboards are. It's just that Apple was dumb enough to put them in a nice clear case so you can see all the crap. Lovely.

suneohair
Jul 9, 2007, 12:02 PM
Updated Mac Pros coming soon too :D:confused:

AdeFowler
Jul 9, 2007, 12:03 PM
About time. The current version seems to have been around for years. I hope there's only a wireless version with a detachable usb cable... it seems daft to have two keyboards available when one could do both tasks.

MrCrowbar
Jul 9, 2007, 12:04 PM
Yay, I love the Macbook keyboard. Just make it a little rounded upward, keep the USB Hub and keep it dish washable.

And they can't bring out a new keyboard without cringing out new iMacs, can they? Ok they did so with tth mighty mouse, but c'mon! :o

boxlight
Jul 9, 2007, 12:05 PM
After putting it off since Christmas, I finally went out and bought a new Apple Wireless Keyboard just yesterday! Hilarious.

Also, I specifically didn't buy an Apple Wireless Mouse because I'm hoping for a new "multi-touch" mouse soon. I just hope it comes in white.

AtHomeBoy_2000
Jul 9, 2007, 12:06 PM
Please please please... a keyboard with USB 2.0 and the ability to plug in a flash drive!

rainydays
Jul 9, 2007, 12:08 PM
I'll be very happy if this is true. I love the MacBook keyboard and I've wished many times for there to be an external keyboard like it.

The current keyboard is OK I think, but not as comfortable as the MB keyboard. Also it collects dust like crazy.

madmaxmedia
Jul 9, 2007, 12:09 PM
I think the distance between keys on the MacBook is exactly the same as the MBP's. The spacing does make them appear farther apart, but I think it's mainly psychological.

I think the PB/MBP keyboards are among the best keyboards ever (notebook or desktop) in terms of typing feel.

I hate the current Apple desktop keyboard- the keys are very spongy/mushy. Looking forward to what they come up with.

iSee
Jul 9, 2007, 12:09 PM
Well, once again I'll have to mention that the iPhone, nor any of Apple's products contain brushed anything. The iPhone has a chrome frame with cheap silver paint on the back that scrathes and chips off quite easily. Hope they don't make the iMac after that.

LOL, you should give up on pointing out that Apple's products don't have a brushed look. It's like correcting spelling and grammar in posts: it's not going to accomplish anything, no one really cares, and it's really not that important anyway. :D

Side note: whatever it is on the backs of iPhones, it does NOT scratch or chip off easily--or at all in my case: someone who doesn't coddle his electronics.

Philsy
Jul 9, 2007, 12:10 PM
Funny, I was thinking that Apple was neglecting keyboard design. I always liked the old Apple split keyboard and now use a Microsoft Natural Pro. It's very well made and the contoured design is far easier on your hands if you do a lot of typing.

With Apple's design skills, it should be able to develop something radical that works well and looks good.

JosephEsquivel
Jul 9, 2007, 12:11 PM
how about just a wireless keyboard that charges an internal battery from a USB port? that way it can be both, and you wouldnt need to worry about changing batteries

iMeowbot
Jul 9, 2007, 12:11 PM
All keyboards are.
They can be different. The IceKey does have some spill resistance (undocumented, but I found out the hard way), and the early Apple IIc models even had that feature.

ajhill
Jul 9, 2007, 12:19 PM
Steve Jobs has promised an iMac that's off the charts. Given his track record I wouldn't bet against him. Remember, with all the iPhone hype, Apple Inc. still makes the majority of their money from Mac sales. And the iPhone interest can do nothing but enhance Mac sales.

I would imagine they sold a ton, given the extra traffic into the Apple stores. What with Father's Day, Graduations, and early back to school shopping.

Should be a great year to be an Apple fan.

bretm
Jul 9, 2007, 12:21 PM
LOL, you should give up on pointing out that Apple's products don't have a brushed look. It's like correcting spelling and grammar in posts: it's not going to accomplish anything, no one really cares, and it's really not that important anyway. :D

Side note: whatever it is on the backs of iPhones, it does NOT scratch or chip off easily--or at all in my case: someone who doesn't coddle his electronics.

Why don't you take your car key to it then? Or scratch it with your fingernail? It does. The screen is indestructable, but the silver painted plastic (feels like it's plastic) does scratch and chip very easily.

And I think it's pretty important when rumor says Apple is going to update their products to brushed aluminum. Since Apple has never referred to their products as "brushed" and they're NOT brushed, then I tend to think that the rumor is a bunch of crap and that it was simply made up by someone that doesn't realize that their products aren't brushed. They'd anodized aluminum, etc. A reliable source woul've said it that way.

slffl
Jul 9, 2007, 12:23 PM
I love the current keyboard, and I'm also looking forward to a refresh. Can't wait to see it.

Digital Skunk
Steve Jobs has promised an iMac that's off the charts.

- 30" FAH display... (Flat As Hell)
- Dual 200GB 7200 rpm 2.5 drives
- Single Xeon Dual Core Chip/ Quad Core Chip
- Single user replaceable PCIx slot
- Future design for Apple Cinema Displays

As many others have already said, and despite the fears manifested by some after its release, the MacBook keyboard is probably one of the best keyboard designs by Apple, apart from the supreme Apple Extended Keyboard II.

It's gonna meet the slim form with a full-sized keyboard...there is nothing wrong with that, especially when nowadays' keyboards are bulky and with deep key presses.

Apple will surely excel once more in designing the new iMac, and my credit card will be more than ready to replace my great G5 iMac...just wait and see...:rolleyes:

iMichael72
Jul 9, 2007, 12:27 PM
Apple is making it harder and harder for me not to buy the new iMac!

gloss
Jul 9, 2007, 12:27 PM
I absolutely love the MacBook keyboard, so this is good news to me. Bravo.

zero2dash
Jul 9, 2007, 12:35 PM
- 30" FAH display... (Flat As Hell)
- Dual 200GB 7200 rpm 2.5 drives
- Single Xeon Dual Core Chip/ Quad Core Chip
- Single user replaceable PCIx slot
- Future design for Apple Cinema Displays

You will not see a quad core chip in something that looks like/is designed like that, I guarantee it. Quads run too hot to be in a space that small with little to no airflow.

Duals, maybe. They fit duals into the MBP and iMacs now because they're using the portable duals which require less power and run cooler. I doubt you'll see a desktop model dual in a Mac like that either but you never know.

mathwhiz90601
Jul 9, 2007, 12:37 PM
Here comes our new iMac everyone... I just hope that I don't loose one of the wireless speakers :D

No. The screen is not very bright; anything behind the screen (including the back piece) would distract the user and detract from what was on the screen.

Remember, with all the iPhone hype, Apple Inc. still makes the majority of their money from Mac sales. And the iPhone interest can do nothing but enhance Mac sales.

Actually, they made more profit off iPods sometime back.

psxndc
Jul 9, 2007, 12:39 PM
Totally OT: but I'd really like to see a new mac mini as well. New keyboard with a new mac mini? I'm there.

Sorry, but my ventrilo and web server (same machine) are in my living room and the fan is driving me crazy. I really want to replace it with a mini but i just can't knowing that if they haven't killed the mini, an update is right around the corner. If they HAVE killed the mini, well that's a different story. :(

Digital Skunk
Jul 9, 2007, 12:40 PM
No. The screen is not very bright; anything behind the screen (including the back piece) would distract the user and detract from what was on the screen.

No what?... it's a concept. How can you tell if the screen is not very bright or the user is just dimming it on a concept drawing?

This one better for ya?

rikers_mailbox
Jul 9, 2007, 12:46 PM
Desktop keyboard with backlight.

Maccus Aurelius
Jul 9, 2007, 12:46 PM
I'd be very happy to see desktop keyboards akin to the Macbook keys (which is what I'm typing on at this moment). I find it to be the absolute best keypad I've ever used, and I've used plenty. I love it a lot more than the original iMac keyboard. Seems no one keyboard ever really satisfies everyone these days. There are some that completely despise all desktop keyboards altogether. Can't please everyone, and thankfully, no one ever needs to.:rolleyes:

wvtbred
Jul 9, 2007, 12:47 PM
Good, the current Mac keyboard sucks. When I first thought about buying an iMac I made sure I could addd a different keyboard adn mouse to it. Hopefully the new ones are much better.

Object-X
Jul 9, 2007, 12:51 PM
Here is what I think it's going to look like. If you have an iMac, look at the thin border made of acrylic. It is a clear see through form meant to accentuate the white design. Now imagine that as a polished aluminum border similar to what rings the iPhone. Instead of a white background bordering the screen there will be a black background border.

I think it's going to look awesome and make the old iMacs seem lame. Thus, you will feel compelled to buy one even if you don't need it.

When you think about it, this does make sense. If iPhone owners, who don't already own a Mac, see an iMac that looks just like their phone, any positive experience they have with the iPhone will translate to the iMac.

One more thought. If Apple does away with the white iMac design might they not also do away with the white MacBook design? Could they re-design the MacBook to borrow design ideas from the new iMac and iPhone? A super slim design? I mean, I would really like to get out of debt some day Apple!

anti-microsoft
Jul 9, 2007, 12:54 PM
Yay, I love the Macbook keyboard. Just make it a little rounded upward, keep the USB Hub and keep it dish washable.

And they can't bring out a new keyboard without cringing out new iMacs, can they? Ok they did so with tth mighty mouse, but c'mon! :o

Agree! I totally Luv the MacBook Keyboard as it is soft and very ergonomic.
But I think they will introduce the keyboard with the new iMac, and if the iMac is iPhone like (in Black and sleek and, touchable???) a black PRO keyboard would go nice and would look good with the BlackBooks, MBP, and Mac Pros.

Lepton
Jul 9, 2007, 12:56 PM
Multi-Touch displays. Multi-Touch iMacs. Screens that can be near-vertical as usual, or angled low, 20-30 degrees for easy touch. Multi-Touch support in Leopard. Low profile keyboard that when positioned in front of the screen, makes the whole thing sort of look like an opened-too-far laptop.

sam10685
Jul 9, 2007, 12:58 PM
I absolutely hate the feel of the Macbook keyboard. The keys are too big and generally very difficult to type on.

Aren't bigger keys better?

anti-microsoft
Jul 9, 2007, 12:59 PM
Multi-Touch displays. Multi-Touch iMacs. Screens that can be near-vertical as usual, or angled low, 20-30 degrees for easy touch. Multi-Touch support in Leopard.

Yeah possible...
I think if, it's going to be iPhone-ish It could have an accelorometer and the display could turn round; there's a benQ desplay that turns all the way round.

Caitlyn
Jul 9, 2007, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't mind a MacBook inspired Apple keyboard as long is remains sleek looking and slim (not too clunky). Back lighting would be nice. :)

a cat *miaow*
Jul 9, 2007, 01:12 PM
Wow! i didn't realise the macbook keyboard was so popular.. I think it's really ugly.. and so cheap looking..

gloss
Jul 9, 2007, 01:17 PM
Wow! i didn't realise the macbook keyboard was so popular.. I think it's really ugly.. and so cheap looking..

And durable. And it feels fantastic.

also, re: Key Size, I'm pretty positive that the keys and/or the spaces between them are identical to most other keyboards out there.

markfc
Jul 9, 2007, 01:18 PM
keyboard with built in multi touch keypad???? :-)

Jul 9, 2007, 01:18 PM
I would appreciate a desktop keyboard that gives the same typing feel as the MacBook Pro/PowerBook G4 keyboard. I can type much faster on those, and I really like the thin keys. I also like silver better than white.

I used to really like the feel of the old Pro keyboards with the translucent black keys.

Deefuzz
Jul 9, 2007, 01:19 PM
I've always found myself rather partial to laptop keyboards, and the MacBook keyboards are no exception.

Couple the sleek slim form factor possibility with backlit keys and I know I will at least want to upgrade my keyboard :D

devilot
Jul 9, 2007, 01:19 PM
Wow! i didn't realise the macbook keyboard was so popular.. I think it's really ugly.. and so cheap looking..I spend more time using my keyboards than I do looking at them. ;)

Apple keyboards I've owned and used in order of most like to least like:
MacBook > PowerBook > "pro" (desktop) KB > iBook

obilix
Jul 9, 2007, 01:20 PM

Don't you mean IBM PC Jrish ? :D

Linky (http://oldcomputers.net/pics/ibm-pcjr-1.jpg) for those of you who haven't seen one before...

joshwest
Jul 9, 2007, 01:20 PM
im a huge fan of the apple keyboard, esp when you get a brand new one and the keys are kinda rough feeling instead of glossy like they after about a year of typing, ive gone through about 3

vassillios
Jul 9, 2007, 01:21 PM
another vote for backlighting. I use my apple wireless keyboard with my MBP all the time but I need to keep the lights up so I can see the keys...very frustrating.

SamIchi
Jul 9, 2007, 01:22 PM
And durable. And it feels fantastic.

also, re: Key Size, I'm pretty positive that the keys and/or the spaces between them are identical to most other keyboards out there.

Agreed, I love it. Looks really spiffy too. Nice clean design. I hope they add some backlighting to it to make it look uber.

I think with the new iMac and the new keyboard design they should also make a new mouse. Although they did come out with the recent mighty mouse, a new single click mouse would be nice. But then again, I don't even use the single mouse. It does look nice though.

PlaceofDis
Jul 9, 2007, 01:24 PM

the IceKey is great. durable. small. and has an awesome feel to it. i hope they do something similar. although the macbook's keyboard isn't bad at all.

Here comes our new iMac everyone... I just hope that I don't loose one of the wireless speakers :D

i think everyone has seen that image at some time on the forums. no need to repost it again, and again. its a mockup, one thats not feasible at this time(if ever). not to mention that keyboard would be horrendous to type one.

e12a
Jul 9, 2007, 01:24 PM
Finally those people wanting a macbook keyboard for their macbook pro got what they wanted. :)

i may look into one myself.

Markleshark
Jul 9, 2007, 01:26 PM
I'd like to see new Keyboard. I'm in the market for one. *Waiting*

Carrot007
I'm all for a keyboard more like the macbook one, but trimmer, sleaker?

No thanks. For a desktop keyboard making things smaller and thus less functional is annoying.

I wish http://www.pckeyboard.com/ would do a mac model of their wonderful keyboard.

Bye Bye Baby
Ditto. I'm not a fan of the MacBook keyboard.

The macbook keyboard sucks. Better something like the macbook pro keyboard. That would be cool!

Marx55
Jul 9, 2007, 01:28 PM
I only ask for ONE THING on the Apple Keyboard:

A POWER BUTTON!

That comes great when you have the Mac away of reach for noise or other reasons (PowerMac, Mac mini).

Please. Thanks.

oscuh
Jul 9, 2007, 01:28 PM
I just want to see a new iMac ... I've been waiting for 6 months to get my work machine upgraded. Anything has to be better than this 1.83 CD 17" machine ...

Maybe something in the 24" 3.0 Ghz C2D range? :D

And if the keyboard sucks, I'll just buy an aftermarket ...

guzhogi
Jul 9, 2007, 01:34 PM
What would be cool is an OLED keyboard where what each key would be changes depending on what program & language you use. Like if you speak English and someone else who uses the computer speaks Arabic, they don't have to switch out keyboards. Plus, for some programs like Photoshop, one key might be for the paint brush and another for text. Or, even better, a multitouch screen so each button could be individually sized depending on user prefs. Something like Star Trek.

I don't particularly like the MacBook keyboard. If it stays a standard keyboard, I'd want a full size keyboard w/ the full number keypad and Page Up/Down, Home, etc. keypad. Also, power button, upgrade to USB 2.0 ports. One person said here add flash drive support. I've been able to use flash drives w/ current (and even original G3 iMac) keyboards. Slow as heck, but it worked. Backlighting would be nice, too.

Bye Bye Baby
Jul 9, 2007, 01:35 PM
What about a new mouse!!! The mighty mouse??? Please...

trevorlsciact
Jul 9, 2007, 01:38 PM
About time!

Hard-Hat-Mac
Jul 9, 2007, 01:40 PM
Here's how I think multi-touch will be implemented in the coming months/years:

iPhone: June 07
Multi-touch Mouse: Oct. 07 or with new iMac launch
Multi-touch keyboard and Multi-touch Power Portable: Macworld 08
Multi-touch iMac: Spring 08
Multi-touch displays (can be retrofitted to any Mac 2006 on): WWDC 08
Multi-touch consumer tablet/ phone w/video ichat: Macworld 09

I'd hope it would be faster and maybe it will be one giant multi-touch overhaul these are just insights gained from apple's marketing strategy

Tom B.
Jul 9, 2007, 01:41 PM
I too love the MacBook keyboard. It looks really good and makes other keyboards look and feel cheap. I wish the MacBook Pro had one too, but I'm sure it will before the end of this year.
I'll be buying one of these new keyboards as soon as possible to go with my MacBook/Pro. It better be backlit too.
I wonder if there will be a redesigned mighty mouse to match the keyboard? Maybe they could fix some of its issues as well.

a cat *miaow*
Jul 9, 2007, 01:43 PM
I spend more time using my keyboards than I do looking at them. ;)

Apple keyboards I've owned and used in order of most like to least like:
MacBook > PowerBook > "pro" (desktop) KB > iBook

haha, but i've been thinking of upgrading to a macbook - so have spent more time looking at them..:rolleyes:

and the IBM keyboard is THE AWESOME!

AlexisV
Jul 9, 2007, 01:44 PM
Old news! I've been using this on my PC since Christmas:

http://pics.krawall.de/2/speedlink-flat-keyboard_2.jpg

ywshang
Jul 9, 2007, 01:47 PM
Who else is gonna bet on a multi-touch non-keyboard keyboard? Can turn into a gigantic trackpad if there's no need of keyboard. Or, at least one can switch the number keys, as they are idle most of the time, with a trackpad or a writing pad, or any pointing/multi-touch device.

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 9, 2007, 01:47 PM
apple just keeps the hits on coming... this keyboard would be awesome!!

Megabyte
Jul 9, 2007, 01:49 PM
What would be cool is an OLED keyboard where what each key would be changes depending on what program & language you use. Like if you speak English and someone else who uses the computer speaks Arabic, they don't have to switch out keyboards. Plus, for some programs like Photoshop, one key might be for the paint brush and another for text. Or, even better, a multitouch screen so each button could be individually sized depending on user prefs. Something like Star Trek.

If you are feeling thrifty...

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/optimus_maximus_01.jpg

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

MrCrowbar
Jul 9, 2007, 01:53 PM

Optimus Maximus. Optimus Maximus. Optimus Maximus.

And yes, it works well with Macs :D
http://img.artlebedev.ru/blog/Optimus_Win_Square_web.jpg

luke-j-s
Jul 9, 2007, 01:53 PM
how about just a wireless keyboard that charges an internal battery from a USB port? that way it can be both, and you wouldnt need to worry about changing batteries

i agree! this would be a great idea. not sure about it having the same feel as the macbook keyboard though.

MM2270
Jul 9, 2007, 01:54 PM
Funny, I was thinking that Apple was neglecting keyboard design. I always liked the old Apple split keyboard and now use a Microsoft Natural Pro. It's very well made and the contoured design is far easier on your hands if you do a lot of typing.

With Apple's design skills, it should be able to develop something radical that works well and looks good.

Isn't that what we all said about the mouse? And then they released the Mighty Mouse.
Despite the fact that many people like it, the Mighty Mouse is only an average mouse. Truthfully, it is not ergonomically designed, lacks functionality found in other mice in its price range, and that blasted scrollball gets gunked up and stops working in about a month from the time you unbox it. If it had been released by any other company, it would have been panned badly in reviews, because seriously, it ain't all that great.

Let's hope Apple has better design sense when it comes to their new keyboard. In the very least, the keyboard needs an update to match the look of most of their Macs now. If the iMac goes to an aluminum casing, the current keyboard will look as out of place as it does on the Mac Pro.

ywshang
Jul 9, 2007, 01:54 PM

I don't particularly like the MacBook keyboard. If it stays a standard keyboard, I'd want a full size keyboard w/ the full number keypad and Page Up/Down, Home, etc. keypad. Also, power button, upgrade to USB 2.0 ports. One person said here add flash drive support. I've been able to use flash drives w/ current (and even original G3 iMac) keyboards. Slow as heck, but it worked. Backlighting would be nice, too.

Changing the keyboard layout per application sounds like a great idea. At least one can do the following. In each app, there're usually quite a couple hot keys that are handy. But it's always a big pain trying to remember them all. On a virtual keyboard, each app can display some sort of hints, text or graphic, on the corresponding keys and that must be awesome

dlastmango
Jul 9, 2007, 01:55 PM
About time. The current version seems to have been around for years. I hope there's only a wireless version with a detachable usb cable... it seems daft to have two keyboards available when one could do both tasks.

It would be great if the bluetooth keyboard could be recharged via a USB cable. Use the cable if you want it wired, no cable activates the bluetooth for wireless. 1 keyboard-many possibilities!

Chris
**** EDIT *** Looks like i was a little late with this comment. my bad :)

Digital Skunk
Jul 9, 2007, 01:57 PM
i think everyone has seen that image at some time on the forums. no need to repost it again, and again. its a mockup, one thats not feasible at this time(if ever). not to mention that keyboard would be horrendous to type one.[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to sound rude... I am not angry or anything. I just find it funny when someone says that this post/forum/thread has been seen/posted/written so many times before and that there is no reason to post it again like everyone on MacRumors or in the world has seen it before. There are plenty of Newbies that haven't gotten the search stuff down pack, and there are plenty of members that may not have seen the mockup.

As for it not being feasible... okay... what's the point? It is a mockup, touchscreen iMacs are probably more less feasible then this machine. Not that I expect to see one this decade, but a touch screen 24" iMac is kinda useless. I do agree though that the keyboard would just be a plain painful thing to use. It is bent in the wrong direction and looks stiff and solid, but then again... it is a mockup.

p.s. It is a much better mockup then the other ones that just have the chin cut off of the iMac... those have no imagination or Apple flare whatsoever. Then there are the ones that have a black box pasted to the side of a G5, and the awful one that looks like an iPhone which I pray to God will never happen.

link to image (http://img.artlebedev.ru/blog/Optimus_Win_Square_web.jpg)

link to image (http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/optimus_maximus_01.jpg)

This thing is garbage... There is no way anyone with any sense would buy a keyboard that costs more than the computer, when there are people complaining that the iMac/MacPro is too expensive. Like this thing makes people type faster or better. You'd be making $1500 typos.

Jul 9, 2007, 01:58 PM

linked image (http://img.artlebedev.ru/blog/Optimus_Win_Square_web.jpg)

No wonder Apple is genius...it makes top technology accessible for all...

This keyboard offer is ridiculous:

Price: 43 990.00 rub.
approx. 1564.37 US$
approx. 1256.86 €

Not in stock
The new lot is set to arrive on December 20, 2007

In other words, 1500 US$ for a keyboard that is only available by late 2007 from Russia? NO THANKS...I will stick to Apple...:rolleyes:

MrCrowbar
Jul 9, 2007, 01:58 PM

LOL. Beat me to it.

Agent Smith
Jul 9, 2007, 02:03 PM
My absolute favourite keyboard was the Apple Pro keyboards that came with the G4 towers and the earlier i/eMacs. Those things were built like tanks and they weighed a tonne (figuratively speaking, of course). Paradoxically, I also love the PowerBook/MacBook Pro keyboard. In my opinion, it is the epitome of laptop keyboards. I think the MacBook keyboard was a step forward and back at the same time. I like the tactile feedback, but I'm still not a fan of the spacing between the keys (I'm using one right now).

teswa
Jul 9, 2007, 02:05 PM
I hope this time they attempt to coordinate trim options with keyboard options. I always thought the white keyboard looked out of place when paired with a nice brushed aluminum tower and Cinema display.

Dimwhit
Jul 9, 2007, 02:16 PM
This is interesting news. I can't imagine a keyboard being better than my Das Keyboard, but I only use that at work. I'll need something for my new iMac (whenever it is I get that). Can't wait to see what they come up with.

p0intblank
Jul 9, 2007, 02:20 PM
I would love a new Apple keyboard. I want something different from Apple... something innovative that makes it stand out from other keyboards. They'll probably only release a wired one, and hold off on the Bluetooth model until a few months from now. :(

Timothy Flint
Jul 9, 2007, 02:25 PM
Maybe the new wireless keyboard will work with iPhone. ;)

Keebler
Jul 9, 2007, 02:26 PM
hopefully it's ergonomic. i like the functionality of an apple keyboard, but the lack of proper ergonomics is mind boggling...especially from a 'hip' company like apple.

guzhogi
Jul 9, 2007, 02:29 PM
This thing is garbage... There is no way anyone with any sense would buy a keyboard that costs more than the computer, when there are people complaining that the iMac/MacPro is too expensive. Like this thing makes people type faster or better. You'd be making $1500 typos.

People buy iPhones, why not a $1500 OLED keyboard? Okay, $1500 is a LOT, but cool technology nonetheless.

Anyways, why not make an ergonomic keyboard?

trevorlsciact
Jul 9, 2007, 02:30 PM
I hope this time they attempt to coordinate trim options with keyboard options. I always thought the white keyboard looked out of place when paired with a nice brushed aluminum tower and Cinema display.

Why do people always call it brushed aluminum. :mad: It is anodized aluminum, the metal windows, like safari or finder, are brushed metal. :cool: It doesn't bother me that much, but still.....

guzhogi
Jul 9, 2007, 02:31 PM
Changing the keyboard layout per application sounds like a great idea. At least one can do the following. In each app, there're usually quite a couple hot keys that are handy. But it's always a big pain trying to remember them all. On a virtual keyboard, each app can display some sort of hints, text or graphic, on the corresponding keys and that must be awesome

There could be a regular keyboard layout that's system-wide and the user can change it on a per-app basis.

CJD2112
Jul 9, 2007, 02:32 PM
I think it's great that Apple is redesigning new keyboards, but I also find it extremely hard to believe that they haven't addressed their Cinema Display line for years. This is especially annoying as Mac Pro owners can not take advantage of the Front Row/IR Remote feature as Mac Mini, Mac Book and Mac Book Pro owners. The most expensive system in the Mac line-up doesn't have matching display functions that other Mac's have and it seems that Apple is failing to address this sad fact. Apple, it's time you got over your iPhone and started working on what your company was founded on: COMPUTERS (and this coming from an iPhone owner, but seriously, I'm a frustrated Mac Pro owner with a three year old 23" Aluminum Display). :mad:

guzhogi
Jul 9, 2007, 02:34 PM

linked image (http://img.artlebedev.ru/blog/Optimus_Win_Square_web.jpg)

linked image (http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/optimus_maximus_01.jpg)

Already saw those. Pretty cool, but expensive. Maybe do a mixture of that & the iPhone multitouch screen. Something like a Star Trek: The next Genration/DS9/Voyager thing would be cool and useful. And add a way for blind people to use it would be cool! Don't know how to do that, but would be cool.

pake
Jul 9, 2007, 02:35 PM
No, people. It's going to be an entirely revolutionary keyboard: it will sport multitouch! The rumor got it wrong, it's not going to be like the macbook's keyboard, but like the iPhone's. :p

No, seriously; I like the idea of a new keyboard, it is always interesting to see how Apple can improve things.

Mgkwho
Jul 9, 2007, 02:40 PM
I hope they announce it soon...like the 31st. That would be sweet.

-=|Mgkwho

guzhogi
Jul 9, 2007, 02:41 PM
I think it's great that Apple is redesigning new keyboards, but I also find it extremely hard to believe that they haven't addressed their Cinema Display line for years. This is especially annoying as Mac Pro owners can not take advantage of the Front Row/IR Remote feature as Mac Mini, Mac Book and Mac Book Pro owners. The most expensive system in the Mac line-up doesn't have matching display functions that other Mac's have and it seems that Apple is failing to address this sad fact. Apple, it's time you got over your iPhone and started working on what your company was founded on: COMPUTERS (and this coming from an iPhone owner, but seriously, I'm a frustrated Mac Pro owner with a three year old 23" Aluminum Display). :mad:

I agree, Apple needs to update their computers. While Front Row & remote would be nice on the Mac Pro, Im afraid Apple thinks that Pro users don't need/want that feature, in which case, they're wrong. Also time to update their displays. The current 17" MBP has a the same resolution as Apple's 20" display. Increase the resolutions on all the displays & add iSights. Unfortunately, I think the 30" is at the highest resolution dual-link DVI/HDMI allow. I'm also afraid Apple's starting to go only after the higher-end markets. If Apple's serious about getting higher market share, they should make less expensive Macs (Mac Mini price range) or at least open up the Mac OS so other companies/people can make less expensive Macs.

Amdahl
Jul 9, 2007, 02:44 PM
I'm all for a keyboard more like the macbook one, but trimmer, sleaker?

No thanks. For a desktop keyboard making things smaller and thus less functional is annoying.

I wish http://www.pckeyboard.com/ would do a mac model of their wonderful keyboard.

They have a USB model; you just flip Option & Command in sys pref. F12 held down is your eject. You do lose the volume control and dedicated eject key, if Mac keyboards have that.

I even use old 101-key keyboards. It is possible to map one of the Alt keys to Option, and use the other as Command.

And just to be on topic, all Mac keyboards suck. The best laptop keyboard is the old Acer laptop keyboards just after they bought Texas Instruments laptop biz around 1998. The best desktop keyboards are IBM genuine, certain Lexmark/IBM, PCkeyboard.com, Northgate, and the Matias isn't too bad either if you need a 'Mac' keyboard.

rwdebes
Jul 9, 2007, 02:45 PM
So it looks like the keyboard could be sold separately ?

of course.. as always, or you think apple will miss this one ?

Scannall
Jul 9, 2007, 02:47 PM
I hope not. I CAN'T stand the Macbook keyboard. :(

kwikdeth
based on macbook pro keyboard? hell yes.
based on macbook keyboard? hell no!
the macbook keyboard is the cheapest thing ever. i dont like how it looks, i dont like how it feels, and i dont like how my hands feel after typing on it.
it's the one and only reason i wont buy a macbook. it's useless.

0racle
If it feels like the MacBook keyboard, I'll probably buy one for my Windows Desktop.

bretm
Jul 9, 2007, 02:50 PM
My absolute favourite keyboard was the Apple Pro keyboards that came with the G4 towers and the earlier i/eMacs. Those things were built like tanks and they weighed a tonne (figuratively speaking, of course). Paradoxically, I also love the PowerBook/MacBook Pro keyboard. In my opinion, it is the epitome of laptop keyboards. I think the MacBook keyboard was a step forward and back at the same time. I like the tactile feedback, but I'm still not a fan of the spacing between the keys (I'm using one right now).

Did it make you spell TON like that?

Cloudsurfer
Jul 9, 2007, 02:53 PM
Fantastic. I love the MacBook keyboard. It has a soft touch to it and doesn't hurt your fingers when you write long articles. Also, it'd be less prone to dust and other dirt. The current Apple keyboard looks downright gross after a few weeks.

freddiecable
Jul 9, 2007, 02:54 PM
well...if you "strikingly" redesign the iMac - it would make sense to change the keyboard with it ;) looking forward to this update...which I have been waiting for to buy :D

last time the rumours said 24" was going to be released I said "no way"...now the rumour says +24"...hm...a 30" iMac...sounds crazy to me...

abrooks
Jul 9, 2007, 02:58 PM

Welcome to a world with more than one spelling of a word :)

P.S. You're wrong.

rwdebes
Jul 9, 2007, 02:58 PM
I hope they announce it soon...like the 31st. That would be sweet.

-=|Mgkwho

me too.. no more waits after the iphone.. just **** realease the keyboard, ipod 6G, new imacs and the new mouse..

you guys think will launch the keyboard only ? what about the mouse ??

well...if you "strikingly" redesign the iMac - it would make sense to change the keyboard with it ;) looking forward to this update...which I have been waiting for to buy :D

last time the rumours said 24" was going to be released I said "no way"...now the rumour says +24"...hm...a 30" iMac...sounds crazy to me...

forget about it man.. no 30" imac... thats im sure.

aswitcher
Jul 9, 2007, 03:00 PM

I would be very happy if Apple did this but more so if they just replaced the whole bit between the number pad and keyboard with a touchscreen for more than just editable buttons. Would be really nicely placed to act as a track pad as well.

rwdebes
Jul 9, 2007, 03:00 PM
cant wait for this keyboard , as i was ready to buy a new wireless because i dropped a can of coke on mine last week and its just working the top half..
sux. :mad::mad::apple::(:o

cliffjumper68
Jul 9, 2007, 03:01 PM
Fantastic. I love the MacBook keyboard. It has a soft touch to it and doesn't hurt your fingers when you write long articles. Also, it'd be less prone to dust and other dirt. The current Apple keyboard looks downright gross after a few weeks.

I couldn't agree more. I hope the previous rumors of a multi-touch wireless mouse complete this set of peripherals.

rwdebes
Jul 9, 2007, 03:01 PM
I would be very happy if Apple did this but more so if they just replaced the whole bit between the number pad and keyboard with a touchscreen for more than just editable buttons. Would be really nicely placed to act as a track pad as well.

im sure i read somewhere a long time ago about a small lcd screen used togehter with a keyboard and a mouse on the macbooks. im sure i read about it.. and saw something on macrumors.com about it.

I couldn't agree more. I hope the previous rumors of a multi-touch wireless mouse complete this set of peripherals.

they will ... fingers crossed.. new mouse and keyboard.. thats what i want.. ;)

lelereb
Jul 9, 2007, 03:05 PM
nope, new iMac will sports the MigthyKeyboard: the entire keyboard surface is a single button, a touch-sensitive technology under the shell detects which part of the keyboard you're clicking. :D

cliffjumper68
Jul 9, 2007, 03:06 PM
they will ... fingers crossed.. new mouse and keyboard.. thats what i want.. ;)

For some reason the metal look always seemed "cleaner" to me. It will be interesting to see if their are any new options/features (such as back lighting) on the keyboard.

raykhrud
Jul 9, 2007, 03:11 PM
Oh no! I hate my MacBook's keyboard!
Actually, I don't, but I prefer good Apple Keyboard of my iMac.

gotohamish
Jul 9, 2007, 03:14 PM
Here's hoping for backlights!

Digital Skunk
Jul 9, 2007, 03:14 PM
Mice are better than trackpads... always have been, always will be.

If Apple takes a laptop keyboard and calls it a desktop keyboard and jacks the price up another $30 I will send Jobs hate mail. Give me a real desktop keyboard and leave out all of the cute

'Imma techie with no job so I don't care how comfortable my keyboard is, give me touchscreen, and crayon colored buttons'

stuff. The only way I can see Apple innovating the keyboard is to get rid of it completely and replacing it with something else that is more precise, more user friendly, and the same price. Multi touch on a keyboard is for people that are still smoking the iPhone fumes. Trackpads on a desktop keyboards are for young kids that don't remember how much they failed when they did them in the 90's. A keyboard made from laptop parts is worse than the desktop made from laptop parts.

How about a keyboard with more USB ports? How about a backlit desktop keyboard that the gamers use? How about a keyboard that I can just stick in the washing machine to clean? How about a keyboard that doesn't give me carpal tunnel like the MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac, Apple Pro Keyboard from the 90's, or every other keyboard in the market except the ugly ergonomic ones that are made of plastic?

Hmm. A keyboard that I can use longer with less painful results... that also looks good next to my computer... sounds like a winner to me.

MrCrowbar
Jul 9, 2007, 03:15 PM
nope, new iMac will sports the MigthyKeyboard: the entire keyboard surface is a single button, a touch-sensitive technology under the shell detects which part of the keyboard you're clicking. :D

PLEASE NO! :p

Seriously. You couldn't hit 2 buttons at the same time anymore. Goodbye shortcuts. :rolleyes:
Still, a mockup of that thing would be cool. :p

nsbio
Jul 9, 2007, 03:17 PM
A knowledgeable source whispered into my ear that the next Apple keyboard will have only one button, to be in style with the mouse, and will be called The Butt_On Keyboard :D

Clive At Five
Jul 9, 2007, 03:18 PM
I'm calling bulls**t on this whole iMac rumor. I mean, yes, I believe new iMacs are in the works, but thinner, aluminum, chin-less iMacs are just a minor modification.

This may sound weird but I'd rather have a "thicker" iMac with more style. Just look at the histry of the iMac: First the revolutionary all-in-one egg Mac. They made you say, "How did they do that?!" Then they went to the swivel-neck Mac and again made you say, "How did they do that?!" Then they went to the panel Mac and made you say, "Where did the computer go?! / How did they do that?!" If they were to go to a slimmer, aluminum, chin-less Display Mac, there won't be a "How did they do that" reaction. It'll be more like, "That's it?"

The other part of this is capability: If the iMac keeps getting thinner/smaller, it'll never have more capability than a MacBookPro. Personally, if I am forced to accept the drawback of not being portable, I'd expect a trade-off: more power. That's something that can't come with a slimmer design. While the iMacs of yore were amazingly designed, they were still just one step behind the PowerMac. That's part of what the iMac so astonishing. Today's iMacs are three steps behind the Mac Pro and are only as amazing as the MBP... i.e. not very.

I used to be able to buy an iMac and be a Prosumer. That is no longer true. The iMac needs more power, and I'd be willing to sacrifice thickness for it. It's a desktop anyway! Why are we caring about how small it is?

I WOULD MAKE AN EXCEPTION TO THIS UNDER ONE CIRCUMSTANCE:

If the iMac became a lighter-powered convertable. That's right, a desktop-to-portable unit.

There are two ways I could envision this working:

Option A: Give it a "base station" with a nice GPU, HDD, extra RAM, USB ports (for keyboard, mouse and others), optical bay, and a PSU, all sitting on a nice clear acryllic stand. The display detaches (and becomes multi-touch capable (which would obviously not be viable for a 20-24" screen)), the unit complete with mo-board (using integrated graphics), some RAM, 16GB SSD (enough for OSX and some free space), Wi-Fi, and a battery for a good 5 hours of detached life. A good ol' tablet if you will.

Option B: Just a multi-touch detachable display (again, 17" or less), Wi-Fi, and a battery, loaded with enough guts to act as a "remote desktop" interface to the base station.

Out of the two choices, I'd say a bulkier desktop is more likely but I'd love, love, love to have Option B.

mmmmmmmmm detachable display....

Oh, and by the way, I would hunt down and obliterate Johny Ive if he ruined the iMac's keyboard by making it Chicklet-Style. Seriously, there would be a rampage... and then I would buy a 3rd party keyboard.

-Clive

MrCrowbar
Jul 9, 2007, 03:19 PM
How about a keyboard that I can just stick in the washing machine to clean?

It's not documented in the manuals, but you can actually dishwash the current apple keyboards. Just use the program you use for very fragile dishes and your keyboard comes out like new. The traditional way is to pull out all the keys, put them in a cloth bag and put it in the washing machine.

Dimwhit
Jul 9, 2007, 03:21 PM
Hmm. A keyboard that I can use longer with less painful results... that also looks good next to my computer... sounds like a winner to me.

Welcome to Dvorak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard). I haven't needed an ergo keyboard since switching. Plus I type faster.

Make that switch, ergo won't be as important, and a whole new world of pretty keyboards is opened up to you.

dswoodley
Jul 9, 2007, 03:23 PM
The MB keyboard is ok/borderline satisfactory. But every time I use, I can't help but think of my old 12in PB keyboard. That was the best keyboard I ever used. I also wish Apple would make something like Adesso's combo keyboard/trackpad device. I use Adesso's with my MacMini (the original Apple TV). http://www.adesso.com/products_detail.asp?productid=281

MrCrowbar
Jul 9, 2007, 03:26 PM
Welcome to Dvorak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard). I haven't needed an ergo keyboard since switching. Plus I type faster.

Make that switch, ergo won't be as important, and a whole new world of pretty keyboards is opened up to you.

Agreed. But Dvorak seriously rocks on those spit ergo keyboards from Microsoft (yea, I know, but they do make good hardware).

SeaFox
Jul 9, 2007, 03:29 PM

Here, here!

Bring back the ADB Keyboard II in brushed steel.

Agent Smith
Jul 9, 2007, 03:29 PM

Imperial ton: 2 240 pounds (I think)

Metric tonne: 1 000 kilograms (I know)

:rolleyes:

I hope that the keyboard fits with the aesthetic of the Mac Pro. I don't see the Ive design team coming up with a new design for that anytime soon, seeing as it has a tonne (couldn't resist) of functionality in an arguably still modern looking case.

a cat *miaow*
Jul 9, 2007, 03:30 PM
A knowledgeable source whispered into my ear that the next Apple keyboard will have only one button, to be in style with the mouse, and will be called The Butt_On Keyboard :D

Really? that's the best news EVER! all these buttons.. waaaa confusing me!!

MrCrowbar
Jul 9, 2007, 03:30 PM
The MB keyboard is ok/borderline satisfactory. But every time I use, I can't help but think of my old 12in PB keyboard. That was the best keyboard I ever used. I also wish Apple would make something like Adesso's combo keyboard/trackpad device. I use Adesso's with my MacMini (the original Apple TV). http://www.adesso.com/products_detail.asp?productid=281

dswooley, you have the sam macrumors number as me... how do I activate my avatar?

dswoodley
Jul 9, 2007, 03:32 PM
dswooley, you have the sam macrumors number as me... how do I activate my avatar?

go to the top of the page, click USER CP on the MacRumors Forums menu bar. There should be an edit avatar link on the left. If not, it might take a day or two if you just hit your 500th post.

Dimwhit
Jul 9, 2007, 03:36 PM
Agreed. But Dvorak seriously rocks on those spit ergo keyboards from Microsoft (yea, I know, but they do make good hardware).

Hmm, I should try that. I love the Das Keyboard/Dvorak combo I'm using, but I've never used a split keyboard much since switching to Dvorak.

Object-X
Jul 9, 2007, 03:39 PM

I think they have new displays, but they can't release them until Leopard ships. During the Apple Tech Talk I attended there were several references to next generation displays that will have much higher DPI specs and how Leopard will take advantage of this. Leopard was originally slated to ship in June but has been pushed back. I think new displays will be part of the Leopard release because of resolution independence.

The current generation displays are good and the only reason to change them would be to add new technology. I imagine Apple planned to release them by now, but sometimes things don't always go as planned. Don't be mad :mad: be patient :cool:. It's coming.

Frankly, I think you are in a minority. For the few folks who are buying Mac Pro's with Cinema displays, only a small percentage of those actually need an iSight camera. A lot of Cinema display buyers are using them with their MacBook Pros and thus already have a camera, and a number of Pro users don't need iSight in the display because of how they are using them; that leaves a small minority of users who use a Mac Pro and Cinema display who would otherwise want the camera. So, in my humble opinion Apple has chosen to wait rather than release an integrated camera in their existing displays.

deannnnn
Jul 9, 2007, 03:39 PM
All keyboards are. It's just that Apple was dumb enough to put them in a nice clear case so you can see all the crap. Lovely.

Hahah, yeah my keyboard has become pretty gross over the years.
I clean the top of the keys and the slits between F13/F14 and between F16/Volume Down... but thats it... I really want to take out all the keys and like really clean it... but I think it's easier to just buy a new one ;) (not to mention I hate cleaning, lol)

arkmannj
Jul 9, 2007, 03:44 PM

That's what I was thinking.

MrCrowbar
Jul 9, 2007, 03:49 PM
I think they have new displays, but they can't release them until Leopard ships. During the Apple Tech Talk I attended there were several references to next generation displays that will have much higher DPI specs and how Leopard will take advantage of this. Leopard was originally slated to ship in June but has been pushed back. I think new displays will be part of the Leopard release because of resolution independence.

New York 2007 Tech Talk, too? :p
I've been to the resolution independence session. "Be ready for 2008" they said, as some people already pointed out in these forums. Basically they target 400 dpi displays (yea, I know) and tell you to make your icons 512x512 pixels. I guess they will demo it for good at macworld, I think it's a great feature.

I don't think Apple will put a camera into the cinema displays. Most pros that have them have 2 next to each other, so haveing 2 iSights attached to one computer can be annoying... or extremely cool if the other person has a holographic display and can see you in 3d. :D

elppa
Jul 9, 2007, 04:01 PM

dish washable :eek:

Please expand.

Also, I have used MacBook for over a year. Are the people who have complaints about the keyboard regular users, or have they just tried it for a short time (e.g. using a friends computer or in a store?). Because I think it is a fantastic ergonomic design and fantastic to type with.

eddx
Jul 9, 2007, 04:13 PM
It is surely going to be much thinner like the newer Logitech and Microsoft keyboards.

I wonder if they will have backlighting on the keyboard, similar to the macbook pro???

Digital Skunk
Jul 9, 2007, 04:14 PM
It's not documented in the manuals, but you can actually dishwash the current apple keyboards. Just use the program you use for very fragile dishes and your keyboard comes out like new. The traditional way is to pull out all the keys, put them in a cloth bag and put it in the washing machine.

:eek: WOW... That is the best keyboard advice I have gotten in a few years. When I get a dishwasher I am going to try that out. Especially if Apple makes a new keyboard. I might try the one where I take all the keys out, but I might as well throw the rest of the keyboard in with it since it is just as dirty as the keys.

I might have to check this out more. I would like to give it a try before I jump on one and start typing like a computer n00b again.

CJD2112
Jul 9, 2007, 04:20 PM

1 TONNE = 1,000 kilograms...

Dimwhit
Jul 9, 2007, 04:22 PM
I might have to check this out more. I would like to give it a try before I jump on one and start typing like a computer n00b again.

Check out http://www.dvzine.org/. They've collected a lot of useful info about it. Gives a very good background, and I think they have tips, tutorials, and such.

It took me 2 weeks before I was comfortable switching full-time. I was back to my old speed within a month or two, if memory serves.

And the nice thing is, Apple supports that layout, so it's easy to switch over.

CJD2112
Jul 9, 2007, 04:25 PM

No! Seriously? I never knew that. Wouldn't that cause rusting of metal parts or is the whole thing plastic? Water and electronics??? God, I feel stupid LOL.

MrCrowbar
Jul 9, 2007, 04:26 PM
:eek: WOW... That is the best keyboard advice I have gotten in a few years. When I get a dishwasher I am going to try that out. Especially if Apple makes a new keyboard. I might try the one where I take all the keys out, but I might as well throw the rest of the keyboard in with it since it is just as dirty as the keys.

Don't dishwash the wireless keyboard. There's actually some fragile technology in it.

If you don't hav a diswasher yet, pull out the keys (a teaspoon works best to pop out the keys without damage). Put the keys in a piece of cloth and sew it close and put it intoo your washing machine. The keys mustn't fly around in the washing machine, else they get severely dented (scrape againes the metal barrel) and could potentially get stuck and destroy your wahing machine. I know a magazine around here where the keyboards are regularly collected and washed over the weekend all at once.

MrCrowbar
Jul 9, 2007, 04:31 PM
No! Seriously? I never knew that. Wouldn't that cause rusting of metal parts or is the whole thing plastic? Water and electronics??? God, I feel stupid LOL.

Modern dishwashers dry the stuff after washing. 1 hour of wetness won't make it rust. Chips are sealed and work under high temperatures. Your CPU for example gets damned hot and it still works. Actually the only thing that could get damaged is the plastic shell when it's not well made. The Apple keyboard are made of pretty tough material luckily.
The logic boards can take high temperatures too, they have to elso they would melt when soldering stuff on. When you've soldered electronics before, you may have melted some boards, but a soldering iron tip get considerably more hot than your average dishwasher. Water is only a problem when electricity is flowing so items with integrated batteris shouldn't be washed.

My roommate once had his apple remote (with the battery) washed with his underwear. Came out nice and clean and stll working.

I hope no one will try to dishwash his laptop tho... There have been pictures of powerbooks that had the plastip parts, keys and display pretty messed up. But still working. Washing your mouse is bad since the water can't get out of the thing easily. Same thing goes for hard drives... they all have a breather hole so they can adapt to different outer pressure levels. I'd say everything that has no fixed battery and no moving parts or can be dishwashed as long as the water can flow out easily.

ImAlwaysRight
Jul 9, 2007, 04:44 PM
the macbook keyboard is the cheapest thing ever. i dont like how it looks, i dont like how it feels, and i dont like how my hands feel after typing on it.
it's the one and only reason i wont buy a macbook. it's useless.

One thing I notice -- the majority of those who like the MacBook keyboard actually own a MacBook. The majority of those who hate the MacBook keyboard have at best just typed on one while standing up at the Apple Store display counter.

After over a year with my MacBook, I can say I like the MacBook keyboard better than the keyboard from any iBook or Powerbook I have owned in the past.

Also, why no comments about the iLife news at the bottom of the AppleInsider article?

According to a separate series of unconfirmed reports, the company recently began preparing some of its high-level suppliers for the next iteration of its iLife digital lifestyle software suite, due sometime in the August - September time frame.
I sure hope the new iMacs come with the updated iLife upon release. Otherwise I'll have to decide between buying now or waiting until Oct. to buy when I can basically get the iLife + Leopard upgrades for free.

NadeemF
Jul 9, 2007, 05:03 PM
Wireless - no thanks, my keyboard is pretty close to my iMac.
Short-travel keys - sure I liked my Pismo keyboard
USB2 (and powered hub) - yes, yes, yes.
I'm sick of my standard Apple Keyboard dumbing-down one whole bus to USB1; that only leaves 2 others on my iMac for 2 scanners, a printer, my iPod lead, my digital camera, my microSD reader, VOIP handset and 2 external hard disks. Sure I could buy a cheap USB2 powered hub but from what I read (and my own experience) they seem worth avoiding.

AlexisV
Jul 9, 2007, 05:16 PM
I think Apple Insider is wrong and rubber keys will be making a comeback!

http://www.severnsolutions.co.uk/twblog/photos/allnewzxspectrum/759f9_001.jpg

F.D.
Jul 9, 2007, 05:27 PM
Both sites expect a trimmed-down frame, with ThinkSecret citing the use of brushed aluminum, perhaps to roughly mirror the looks of the iPhone.

Not to mirror the brushed aluminium look of the Mac Pros then, eh.

How in the hell can somebody manage to squeeze a reference to the bloody iPhone into a rumour about a damn keyboard. This is just getting stupid.

Tom B.
Jul 9, 2007, 05:40 PM
What about a built in iPod/iPhone universal dock. Maybe you could even use it to type on your iPhone. Of course it would have to be USB 2 as well.

JGowan
Jul 9, 2007, 06:01 PM
Well, once again I'll have to mention that the iPhone, nor any of Apple's products contain brushed anything. The iPhone has a chrome frame with cheap silver paint on the back that scrathes and chips off quite easily. Hope they don't make the iMac after that.I have heard nothing of this. Do you have firsthand knowledge? Photos that you could share with the Board? Thanks.

Konradx
Jul 9, 2007, 06:14 PM
I'm not particularly fond of the Apple laptop keyboards, then again i dont own a laptop, but everytime i use my friends idont like it. I hope its just a cooler, sleeker Apple Keyboard not a mock laptop one

phalewhale
Jul 9, 2007, 06:41 PM
I find I make a lot more mistakes whilst using the macbook keyboard... Just thought I'd contribute.

aspro
Jul 9, 2007, 07:14 PM
If it comes out around August it will be perfect timing, my keyboard is beginning to get a little too dirty! (Damn clear sides!) :P

For a laptop keyboard I find the Macbook's great, I'm not sure how exactly they would translate it into a full-size keyboard however.

lar34
Jul 9, 2007, 07:27 PM
Almost anything but the Original iMac keyboard would be welcome. I had to switch to the old macally iKey even though it is bigger, it is nice.

I particularly like how the Macbook keyboard functions even if i don't like how it looks. I tried the ikeyslim and that thing feels miserably cheap. the optimus keyboard is really nice looking but I refuse to pay more than 100$ for a keyboard let alone 1500$.

of course one can dream...
http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/3/33/TCARS_navigation_panel.jpg

Stridder44
Jul 9, 2007, 07:33 PM
I agree, Apple needs to update their computers. While Front Row & remote would be nice on the Mac Pro, Im afraid Apple thinks that Pro users don't need/want that feature, in which case, they're wrong. Also time to update their displays. The current 17" MBP has a the same resolution as Apple's 20" display. Increase the resolutions on all the displays & add iSights. Unfortunately, I think the 30" is at the highest resolution dual-link DVI/HDMI allow. I'm also afraid Apple's starting to go only after the higher-end markets. If Apple's serious about getting higher market share, they should make less expensive Macs (Mac Mini price range) or at least open up the Mac OS so other companies/people can make less expensive Macs.

I'm thinking they'll update them soon. Front Row comes with Leopard, all you'd need is an iSight +remote. I bet we'll see an ACD update (with iSight +remote, among other things) very soon.

wallaby
Jul 9, 2007, 07:49 PM
Ugh, if Apple's going to go with flimsy laptop-thin keyboards for its new desktops, then I'm going to continue plugging in 3rd party keyboards that can take my fingers' punishment. Form AFTER function, Apple, form AFTER function...

shabbasuraj
Jul 9, 2007, 07:57 PM
The MacBook Pro/PowerBook keyboards are the REFERENCE STANDARD for keyboards.

Not the MacBook... chiclets ...BARF.

http://www.cadburyschweppes.com/NR/rdonlyres/4406B65D-A2DA-4FE7-8C0B-A1A041E6AE1B/0/chiclets_lo_res.jpg

Zwhaler
Jul 9, 2007, 08:10 PM
A MacBook keyboard for a desktop? Ew, no thank you. I like my keyboard... and iMac.

PVguy
Jul 9, 2007, 08:43 PM
"Trackpads on a desktop keyboards are for young kids that don't remember how much they failed when they did them in the 90's."

Mice are better than keyboards when you are at a desk. What I want is a laptop keyboard and trackpad that works by bluetooth. Then I can run the Mini from the sofa. What am I supposed to mouse on while sitting on the pillow infested sofa? (S.O. loves pillows :rolleyes: )

Adesso makes almost what I want, but it isn't bluetooth, they use some proprietary radio dongle.

oldwatery
Jul 9, 2007, 09:02 PM
The macbook keyboard sucks. Better something like the macbook pro keyboard. That would be cool!

I agree.
I was shocked at how nasty feeling and looking the latest MB keyboard is.
The MBP is really nice however :)

oldwatery
Jul 9, 2007, 09:06 PM
A MacBook keyboard for a desktop? Ew, no thank you. I like my keyboard... and iMac.

and that's the thing.
Why would anyone want a portable keyboard for a desktop. machine:confused:

That's one reason to use a desktop.
Like many, I use an Apple KB with my MBP when it's docked to my big monitor.

Let's hope Apple do something new and revolutionary.
Not a just repackaged portable KB.

twoodcc
Jul 9, 2007, 09:11 PM
I'm looking forward to this.

samh004
Jul 9, 2007, 09:51 PM

That could be a good feature, it's on a pro laptop, so I don't see why it can't be on a pro-desktop too.

I dunno, I love Apple's notebook keyboards. More than any other (yes including desktop) keyboards I've ever used.

I like them too, but they're significantly shrunk because they are places on something that's mobile. I'm not sure I'd be happy with a desktop keyboard the size of the laptop ones. They better not shrink it and get rid of the keypad etc...

I hope there's only a wireless version with a detachable usb cable... it seems daft to have two keyboards available when one could do both tasks.

Two revenue streams.

Please please please... a keyboard with USB 2.0 and the ability to plug in a flash drive!

Upgrading the hub to USB2 is long overdue and I'd imagine will be a feature. Flash drives ? You mean the cards that go in cameras, seeing as there are so many I doubt Apple will support any, as for thumb drives, USB2 will handle them.

Just like the entire iPod line and now iPhone, what happens when the internal battery stops working, should we send the keyboard in to have the battery replaced, or throw it away and buy a new one ?

Sounds like something Apple would do, also something very stupid.

I'm not sure what I'd like to see in a re-design, I quite like the current design and I use an iSkin to stop stuff getting between the keys. However my space bar is playing up now, after only 2 months of use, so I will be taking it in for service or replacement, and thus, better durability would top my list of improvements to the current design.

Followed closely by a USB2 hub... and then keeping the standard keyboard size. It's for a desktop after all, I don't want something the size of a laptop keyboard where the keypad is integrated in with the middle of the keyboard etc...

Finally, when will it also include an iPod dock (not that I'd want one built-in at all) and how about instead of backlighting, taking a cue from the Optimus KB and using OLED displays for each key.

ppnkg
Jul 9, 2007, 10:03 PM
Let's see. Personally, I like the current mac keyboard.

TYU
Jul 9, 2007, 11:07 PM
One thing I notice -- the majority of those who like the MacBook keyboard actually own a MacBook. The majority of those who hate the MacBook keyboard have at best just typed on one while standing up at the Apple Store display counter.

After over a year with my MacBook, I can say I like the MacBook keyboard better than the keyboard from any iBook or Powerbook I have owned in the past.

I'm sorry, but I have to completely disagree. I've owned my MacBook for over a year, as has my roommate. My MacBook had the keyboard replaced two times due to the spongy trackpad button issue. I can easily say it's the worst keyboard I've ever used.

I've been typing for years (fast and accurate on a good keyboard). Nothing is more frustrating than a keyboard that fails to register keypresses that the tactile-feedback mechanism has told you have been pressed.

This is exactly what the four MacBook keyboards I've used have done. On this particular keyboard, at least 4 keys have this problem. Unless I type with considerably more force than I use with any other keyboard, the results are a mess. Scrolling with the arrow keys is also annoying because unless I hold down the keys with a little force, the keyboard doesn't register that I'm still holding down the key even though it's clearly pressed (both visually and by feel).

The keyboard and spongy trackpad button issues have convinced me to pass on future MacBook purchases until these issues are demonstratively resolved.

Best keyboards I've ever used: iBook G3 (IceBook), MacAlly IceKey (own 4 of them), and the IBM "Clicker" (the heavy one with buckling springs).

swordfish5736
Jul 9, 2007, 11:24 PM
maybe we'll get a laser mouse or multi-touch like mouse

NickElls
Jul 10, 2007, 12:10 AM
Something like this would be nice. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=303127&highlight=Aluminum+Keyboard+Mockup) :D

kalisphoenix
Jul 10, 2007, 12:21 AM
I'm, uh, indifferent about all of my keyboards. They're @#$%ing keyboards. If they don't work, I beat them against something until they do.

samh004
Jul 10, 2007, 12:33 AM
Something like this would be nice. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=303127&highlight=Aluminum+Keyboard+Mockup) :D

If it was standard size for a desktop keyboard still, then maybe. I'd want the arrow keys moved to the right; delete, page up, page down, etc added back and the keypad there too...

BKKbill
Jul 10, 2007, 01:32 AM
Why do people always call it brushed aluminum. :mad: It is anodized aluminum, the metal windows, like safari or finder, are brushed metal. :cool: It doesn't bother me that much, but still.....

Seems like it bugs you enough to make the post. Brushed aluminum,anodized aluminum, purled aluminum, dimpled aluminum. We get it everyone know what the intent is unless your a metallurgist.

Infinity
Jul 10, 2007, 01:36 AM

I'm down with this too!

RoDe
Jul 10, 2007, 03:39 AM
The biggest complaint heard by me from other Apple users is the fact that it's so damn hard to clean. Also little pieces of dirt have the ability to crawl in to spaces you can't clean. Now this wouldn't be a biggie if the the keyboard was non see thru, but the Apple keyboard is. And after a while becomes ridiculously filthy.

I sincerely hope Apple has made an effort to making this keyboard easier to clean and nicer to type on.

It's to loud for my liking and I would like a firmer touch. Typing should be less of an effort (not that a new keyboard will make me type faster) after typing on the current keyboard for an hour or so I feel that my typing becomes less accurate my hand become carmped and I feel I have to stop typing(I know that typing long periods at a time is never a good idea). But I also have an Macally Icekey which is perfect you don't have to push the key as hard and I don't get tired of typing as I get on the Apple keyboard. Only problem it's so damn ugly.

I don't know if a keyboard like the MacBook is going to make a better keyboard. I still find my self getting used to the keyboard every-time I type on one. It just feels awkward. But I must admit I don't type on the keyboard for long periods, It must just be that it needs some getting used to.

edesignuk
Jul 10, 2007, 03:42 AM
I really hope not. The MacBook keyboard keys look the same as the latest Bloomberg keyboards do, the things are horrid to use :(

koobcamuk
Jul 10, 2007, 04:23 AM

Tonne is a legit spelling. Check your Apple dictionary...:rolleyes:

F/reW/re
Jul 10, 2007, 04:41 AM
About time! The white slow-typing keyboards Apple deliver now is the worst stuff ever!

Please Apple, make something like this:
http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/2088/logitechultraxkeyboardau9.th.jpg (http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/2088/logitechultraxkeyboardau9.jpg)

drivera
Jul 10, 2007, 06:27 AM
Aah thats great to hear their is more speculation about iMac updates. I was about to update my comp, but I felt the wait will be worth it.

Hopefully this update will be!

Steve Partos

info@lookyoungandbeautiful.net
Look Young and Beautiful Skin Care
http://www.lookyoungandbeautiful.net

aafuss1
Jul 10, 2007, 07:01 AM
Hope that there'll be some hot keys-perhaps super slim keys near the top. Plus PC/Bootcamp compatible wireless version.

chaosbunny
Jul 10, 2007, 07:59 AM
Why don't you take your car key to it then? Or scratch it with your fingernail? It does. The screen is indestructable, but the silver painted plastic (feels like it's plastic) does scratch and chip very easily...

Omg, you are complaining that the paint scratches when you treat it with a car key? That's your own fault then. Imo it's like complaining "omg my car is broken after I drove it into a wall, what a crap car manufacturer."

Digital Skunk
Jul 10, 2007, 08:02 AM
"Trackpads on a desktop keyboards are for young kids that don't remember how much they failed when they did them in the 90's."

Mice are better than keyboards when you are at a desk. What I want is a laptop keyboard and trackpad that works by bluetooth. Then I can run the Mini from the sofa. What am I supposed to mouse on while sitting on the pillow infested sofa? (S.O. loves pillows :rolleyes: )

Adesso makes almost what I want, but it isn't bluetooth, they use some proprietary radio dongle.

Good point. Since I believe Apple will do away with the MacMini and make either the :apple:TV Pro or :apple:TV 2.0 that will replace the mini it would make since to have a keyboard and mouse combo that you can use from the couch... I love sofas too.:D

Meh.... it's okay... I like it for it's size... if it could fold up it could be the portable keyboard for the iPhone 2.0 that has smartphone features but I would shoot myself in the face if I had to type on that tiny little thing in front of a 30" display.

Tonne is a legit spelling. Check your Apple dictionary...:rolleyes:

I think that is the British way of spelling it... I could be wrong, it just could be an alternate standard english form of the word, just mentioning it.

About time! The white slow-typing keyboards Apple deliver now is the worst stuff ever!

Please Apple, make something like this:
http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/2088/logitechultraxkeyboardau9.th.jpg (http://img489.imageshack.us/img489/2088/logitechultraxkeyboardau9.jpg)

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D:D:D

This is the best joke ever man! What computer is that ugly keyboard from anyway?

AidenShaw
Jul 10, 2007, 09:28 AM
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D:D:D

This is the best joke ever man! What computer is that ugly keyboard from anyway?

Some people prefer function over form - they're more concerned with the quality of the keyboard and its typing feel than about its appearance. A beautiful keyboard that feels like it's chiclet-based doesn't cut the mustard.

For example, that striking keyboard in the "transparent iMac mockup" (http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=78983&d=1184001796) would be brutal on the hands. The curvature is the reverse of all of the ergonomic keyboards like the Microsoft Natural. Nice for a museum design collection, horrible for the desk.

Keyboards should be designed first by ergonomic experts - then let the "fashionistas" like Ives put some bling on the design.

ps: If you'd looked at the picture, you would have noticed that it's a Logitech aftermarket keyboard.

MonkeyClaw
Jul 10, 2007, 10:01 AM
i dont understand what the big deal is with the current apple keyboards. they are simple and type great. sure they may not be thin or have the wonderful media keys but does anyone really use those? oh well maybe im the only one that likes mine, hah.

Digital Skunk
Jul 10, 2007, 10:57 AM
Some people prefer function over form - they're more concerned with the quality of the keyboard and its typing feel than about its appearance. A beautiful keyboard that feels like it's chiclet-based doesn't cut the mustard.

For example, that striking keyboard in the "transparent iMac mockup" (http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=78983&d=1184001796) would be brutal on the hands. The curvature is the reverse of all of the ergonomic keyboards like the Microsoft Natural. Nice for a museum design collection, horrible for the desk.

Keyboards should be designed first by ergonomic experts - then let the "fashionistas" like Ives put some bling on the design.

ps: If you'd looked at the picture, you would have noticed that it's a Logitech aftermarket keyboard.

I really didn't know that you were serious but I do agree with you. The keyboard should be easy to use first. I think I had a rant on this thread about how I would die if Apple made a keyboard for a desktop out of laptop parts, that would be the worse than replacing a mouse with a track pad for the Mac Pro. I don't mind the current Apple keyboards at all. I think some of the people that hate them are too used to typing on whatever machine they currently use. MacBook user love the MacBook keyboard and MBP users love the MBP keyboard. I use both a MBP and Apple keyboard so I don't really care... as long as the keys aren't sticking I am happy.

I also agree with you on the mockup. I think the mouse and keyboard the guy rendered are terrible. The speakers look ridiculous as well. But having a controlled by the user, transparent 30" display and aluminum stand with the entire computer locked inside the round (stolen from G4) ball is the type of design I would love to have for some future iMac.

As for the keyboard. I just hope Apple doesn't take a step backward and give us something that is just a pain to type on, or is too small to be a desktop keyboard.

i dont understand what the big deal is with the current apple keyboards. they are simple and type great. sure they may not be thin or have the wonderful media keys but does anyone really use those? oh well maybe im the only one that likes mine, hah.

I am in that boat with you to man. I don't mind many keyboards... the worst one I have every typed on was this Dell one that was on every computer on my campus about 5 years ago. Before I had my first computer I had to use the computer labs and their keys stuck ALL THE TIME! Not to mention that the enter button, backspace, and shift key were just not in the right spot.

The Apple keyboards are pretty comfortable and I can type on them for hours without getting carpal tunnel that bad. Now that I found out that I can dishwash them I like them even more.

jjd
Jul 10, 2007, 11:00 AM
I'd like to see some media controls integrated to the new keyboards. I can imagine a simple scroll wheel with just a few buttons - along the lines of the Apple Remote. yes, I know they will ship with the Apple Remote, but it is far less intuitive to reach for a remote when using a keyboard than to slide the hand across to a keyboard based control. See Logitech...

Backlighting would be sweet too. And yes the clear case has got to go

koobcamuk
Jul 10, 2007, 11:01 AM

I like mine too... I also find the MacBook keyboard easy to type on. I used to make a few mistakes, but it really is the same spacing - unlike PC keyboards (for laptops). I made more mistakes on my mate's dell than on any of my Apple stuff (but I am not used to the Dell).

I would buy a MBP if I didn't prefer going on holiday and have bugger all funding to get one. Self-funding my computer has meant I sold my iMac recently and got a MB. Oh well.

CJD2112
Jul 10, 2007, 11:16 AM
Frankly, I think you are in a minority. For the few folks who are buying Mac Pro's with Cinema displays, only a small percentage of those actually need an iSight camera. A lot of Cinema display buyers are using them with their MacBook Pros and thus already have a camera, and a number of Pro users don't need iSight in the display because of how they are using them; that leaves a small minority of users who use a Mac Pro and Cinema display who would otherwise want the camera. So, in my humble opinion Apple has chosen to wait rather than release an integrated camera in their existing displays.

I beg to differ. A lot of Mac Pro users aren't just Professional's who use the computer only for work. In fact, some of my photographer friends who do use their Mac's for work also use them for entertainment and business. We both use our iSights to keep in touch, and some of my other business friends use their iSights for telecommuting and meetings. Another example, my friend wanted to show his work to clients using Front Row with the IR Remote on his Mac Pro, but as there is no IR sensor in the tower OR in the 30" Cinema Display he was at a loss.

Originally Posted by MrCrowbar
I don't think Apple will put a camera into the cinema displays. Most pros that have them have 2 next to each other, so haveing 2 iSights attached to one computer can be annoying... or extremely cool if the other person has a holographic display and can see you in 3d.

A lot of people use iSights with their Mac Pro's, so having one built in to the display would make perfect sense. I'm certain that if two Cinema Displays were side by side with built in iSights, only one would function, canceling the other out. There could easily be a preference switch within iChat software or System Preferences in Leopard that would allow the user to select which iSight display to use.

The point is, when a consumer is spending close to $3,000 for a tower, and over $1500 for a display, why are they denied the same hardware as lower-end consumers? That's tantamount to someone walking into a BMW showroom and being told only the low end models have leather seats and airbags. Doesn't make sense Apple... :confused:

Fuzilah
Jul 10, 2007, 12:15 PM
Art Lebedev Studio in Moscow has made the best keyboard in the world.
This is what I would like to see from Apple:

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/demo/

See it for yourself. Common sense.

Fluoxetine
Jul 10, 2007, 12:31 PM

Well, if anyone could get away with charging $1200 for a keyboard, it'd be Apple...

Fuzilah
Jul 10, 2007, 12:58 PM
Well, if anyone could get away with charging $1200 for a keyboard, it'd be Apple...

That's true. But don't forget that Art Lebedev's keyboard costs that much because its production is very limited. If you produce 1 million of those, the price would probably drop to something more real, like half the price of less and as a piece for complementing Mac Pro's.

The more you produce, the cheaper it gets.

LoganT
Jul 10, 2007, 01:11 PM

It's also incredibly pointless. I really don't think people are going to care about switching from QWERTY to DVORAK when they don't use it. Shortcuts don't matter because most of time you know them by heart without looking.

Digital Skunk
Jul 10, 2007, 01:31 PM

Said it once before and I will say it again... what common person in this world is going to buy a $1200 KEYBOARD... computer yes... keyboard no! And it isn't that practically at all. The thing is obviously marketed to pros that have applications with a plethora of shortcuts that they will either memorize or pay a hundredth of the price for keycaps or replacement keys.

Jul 10, 2007, 01:40 PM
Said it once before and I will say it again... what common person in this world is going to buy a $1200 KEYBOARD... computer yes... keyboard no! And it isn't that practically at all. The thing is obviously marketed to pros that have applications with a plethora of shortcuts that they will either memorize or pay a hundredth of the price for keycaps or replacement keys.

Not only 1500 US$ for a damn keyboard, but you're gonna have to wait until December 2007 for it to come from RUSSIA...trustworthy shopping? No, thanks.

Sabon
Jul 10, 2007, 03:15 PM
I've got an idea. How about a wireless keyboard where typing actually helps charge it?

dontwalkhand
Jul 10, 2007, 04:14 PM
I just bought a white Apple keyboard to replace my aging MS keyboard to type on the MBP. I think its a very nice keyboard to type on, but I can't wait to see what Apple has in store for us on this new keyboard. I may be buying it just to use with the MBP as well.

danielwsmithee
Jul 10, 2007, 04:34 PM
I love the MacBook keyboard. I would love to see keyboard similar to the Logitech DiNovo Edge (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/192&cl=us,en) but with the MacBook's keys.

verniesgarden
Jul 10, 2007, 10:36 PM
so there's people that would actually buy a macbook style keyboard for a macbook?
kinda silly if you ask me... but i always thought plugging a keyboard into something that had a built in keyboard was kind of an oxymoron.. a mouse i can see though

more than likely it will be a standard style apple keyboard but the tappers on the keys will be gone and there will be a border inbetween, plus backlighting and hopefully powered usb2 ports? i'd love to use my extra port for my ipod shuffle. maybe even a built in wireless usb hub... that would be sweet

dontwalkhand
Jul 10, 2007, 10:41 PM
so there's people that would actually buy a macbook style keyboard for a macbook?
kinda silly if you ask me... but i always thought plugging a keyboard into something that had a built in keyboard was kind of an oxymoron.. a mouse i can see though

more than likely it will be a standard style apple keyboard but the tappers on the keys will be gone and there will be a border inbetween, plus backlighting and hopefully powered usb2 ports? i'd love to use my extra port for my ipod shuffle. maybe even a built in wireless usb hub... that would be sweet

yes in fact, for people like me who use their mac laptops as desktops (external monitor, etc)

sushi
Jul 10, 2007, 10:47 PM
Likewise.

I still love my IBM keyboard because of the key feel. That thing is built like a tank.

Awesome looking keyboard.

But at $1,500, I doubt we will see it mainstream any time soon. Especially when you can get a regular keyboard for less than $10.

As time goes on and prices drop we may see something like this. But it will be a while before it would ever reach consumer pricing.

We got a new Vaio laptop for the office. Surprised how nice the chicklet keyboard feels. Not bad at all.

Jul 11, 2007, 12:32 PM
I only ask for ONE THING on the Apple Keyboard:

A POWER BUTTON!

That comes great when you have the Mac away of reach for noise or other reasons (PowerMac, Mac mini).

Please. Thanks.

I agree. My Mac mini is the nosiest thing on this planet. Well, compared to a PC it is nothing, but it is a pretty loud machine compared to my iMac.

I agree though. I would love a power button on the keyboard. Reaching behind the back on my iMac is not fun.

MonkeyClaw
Jul 11, 2007, 04:33 PM
I like mine too... I also find the MacBook keyboard easy to type on. I used to make a few mistakes, but it really is the same spacing - unlike PC keyboards (for laptops). I made more mistakes on my mate's dell than on any of my Apple stuff (but I am not used to the Dell).

I would buy a MBP if I didn't prefer going on holiday and have bugger all funding to get one. Self-funding my computer has meant I sold my iMac recently and got a MB. Oh well.

I absolutely love the MacBook keyboards. If they were to update the current keyboards (which I still don't think its really needed) I would be the first in line. But I mean, literally I switched over to Macs bout 2.5 years ago.

Before then I was a hardcore PC windows user since really the days of DOS. And by far my Apple Keyboard is the best one I have ever EVER used. Its quiet, comfy, simple and out of the way. I can't ask for anything more.

mathwhiz90601
Jul 12, 2007, 05:57 PM
Very true. I hope they aren't thinking about reviving the original iMac keyboard. Although I still use it as my server's keyboard as it is nice as small (so it is easy to tuck away), it is horrendous to type on.

My iMac's keyboard (just like yours) is horrendous to type on simply because the return/enter keys, shift keys, command key, control key, option key, space bar, caps lock key, and arrow keys don't work.

mathwhiz90601
Jul 12, 2007, 06:09 PM
No what?... it's a concept. How can you tell if the screen is not very bright or the user is just dimming it on a concept drawing?

This one better for ya?

Yes.

mathwhiz90601
Jul 12, 2007, 07:53 PM
I've been able to use flash drives w/ current (and even original G3 iMac) keyboards. Slow as heck, but it worked.

What, newer keyboards than the original g3 don't work with flash drives?!? No way!

mathwhiz90601
Jul 12, 2007, 09:21 PM
Imperial ton: 2 240 pounds (I think)

Nope, 2000 pounds... still crazy, eh?

MrGouda
Jul 13, 2007, 01:10 AM
I hope the new keyboards come in different colours other than just white. Black or silver ones would be nice. Silver would nicely match my MBP.

Hopefully they also redesign the mighty mouse around the same time too. Again, black and silver models please!

juanm
Jul 14, 2007, 05:04 AM
Just curious... Could it be Mac Mini's substitute?

I mean... Mac Minis are long overdue for a refresh...

How cool would it be to just plug your screen to your keyboard, or insert a CD in it? I know, it's old (80s), but something like a screenless MacBook would be nice... I know if I had my laptop screen die outside warranty, I'd take it off, an use it with an external monitor...

Bye Bye Baby
Jul 14, 2007, 05:08 AM
I'd like to see some media controls integrated to the new keyboards. I can imagine a simple scroll wheel with just a few buttons - along the lines of the Apple Remote. yes, I know they will ship with the Apple Remote, but it is far less intuitive to reach for a remote when using a keyboard than to slide the hand across to a keyboard based control. See Logitech...

Backlighting would be sweet too. And yes the clear case has got to go

Yep and some form of an in-built trackpad would be good too. Something like a touch screen interface with the possibility of cursor functions.

Come on Apple enough hype- more beef!