Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider believes that the coming iMac refresh will also bring a new, sleeker keyboard.

Tapping the wizardry of industrial design chief Jonathan Ive and his team, the Cupertino-based Mac maker has reportedly crafted a super-slim external keyboard for the new Macs. It's said to draw upon the aesthetic and feel of the low-profile keyboard which was first integrated with the company's 13-inch MacBook portables in May of 2006.

The last change to Apple's wired desktop keyboard accessory was in 2003, when Apple introduced the aptly named "Apple Keyboard".

AppleInsider has said that the iMac update can be expected in late July to mid August, with ThinkSecret specifying August as the likely arrival timeframe. Both sites expect a trimmed-down frame, with ThinkSecret citing the use of brushed aluminum, perhaps to roughly mirror the looks of the iPhone.

Article Link

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
I'd rather have a laptop with a desktop-inspired keyboard, than a desktop with a laptop-inspired keyboard.

Very true. I hope they aren't thinking about reviving the original iMac keyboard. Although I still use it as my server's keyboard as it is nice as small (so it is easy to tuck away), it is horrendous to type on.

Attachments

• lovemacs_1953_91903619.gif
    lovemacs_1953_91903619.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 9,754

Sandfleaz

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Setting a unified appearance with product (iPhone like) starting with the iMac, then the new iPod makes sense. Can't wait to see them!

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Nothing brushed

Well, once again I'll have to mention that the iPhone, nor any of Apple's products contain brushed anything. The iPhone has a chrome frame with cheap silver paint on the back that scrathes and chips off quite easily. Hope they don't make the iMac after that.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I'd rather have a laptop with a desktop-inspired keyboard, than a desktop with a laptop-inspired keyboard.
I dunno, I love Apple's notebook keyboards. More than any other (yes including desktop) keyboards I've ever used. Especially as I type this on a horrifically noisy HP KB that has travel for miles. :p

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
If they're to be anything like the IceKey then it's long overdue. The current generation of Apple desktop keyboards is just awful, giant dirt and liquid traps with cheap feel.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
If they're to be anything like the IceKey then it's long overdue. The current generation of Apple desktop keyboards is just awful, giant dirt and liquid traps with cheap feel.

All keyboards are. It's just that Apple was dumb enough to put them in a nice clear case so you can see all the crap. Lovely.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
About time. The current version seems to have been around for years. I hope there's only a wireless version with a detachable usb cable... it seems daft to have two keyboards available when one could do both tasks.

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Yay, I love the Macbook keyboard. Just make it a little rounded upward, keep the USB Hub and keep it dish washable.

And they can't bring out a new keyboard without cringing out new iMacs, can they? Ok they did so with tth mighty mouse, but c'mon! :eek:

boxlight

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2006
After putting it off since Christmas, I finally went out and bought a new Apple Wireless Keyboard just yesterday! Hilarious.

Also, I specifically didn't buy an Apple Wireless Mouse because I'm hoping for a new "multi-touch" mouse soon. I just hope it comes in white.

rainydays

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
I'll be very happy if this is true. I love the MacBook keyboard and I've wished many times for there to be an external keyboard like it.

The current keyboard is OK I think, but not as comfortable as the MB keyboard. Also it collects dust like crazy.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think the distance between keys on the MacBook is exactly the same as the MBP's. The spacing does make them appear farther apart, but I think it's mainly psychological.

I think the PB/MBP keyboards are among the best keyboards ever (notebook or desktop) in terms of typing feel.

I hate the current Apple desktop keyboard- the keys are very spongy/mushy. Looking forward to what they come up with.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
I hope they extent the BRUSHED look to all of their products!

Well, once again I'll have to mention that the iPhone, nor any of Apple's products contain brushed anything. The iPhone has a chrome frame with cheap silver paint on the back that scrathes and chips off quite easily. Hope they don't make the iMac after that.

LOL, you should give up on pointing out that Apple's products don't have a brushed look. It's like correcting spelling and grammar in posts: it's not going to accomplish anything, no one really cares, and it's really not that important anyway. :D

Side note: whatever it is on the backs of iPhones, it does NOT scratch or chip off easily--or at all in my case: someone who doesn't coddle his electronics.

Philsy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
South coast of England
Funny, I was thinking that Apple was neglecting keyboard design. I always liked the old Apple split keyboard and now use a Microsoft Natural Pro. It's very well made and the contoured design is far easier on your hands if you do a lot of typing.

With Apple's design skills, it should be able to develop something radical that works well and looks good.

JosephEsquivel

macrumors regular
May 30, 2007
how about just a wireless keyboard that charges an internal battery from a USB port? that way it can be both, and you wouldnt need to worry about changing batteries

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.