New Apple Keyboard Coming With iMac Refresh

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 9, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

AppleInsider believes that the coming iMac refresh will also bring a new, sleeker keyboard.

The last change to Apple's wired desktop keyboard accessory was in 2003, when Apple introduced the aptly named "Apple Keyboard".

AppleInsider has said that the iMac update can be expected in late July to mid August, with ThinkSecret specifying August as the likely arrival timeframe. Both sites expect a trimmed-down frame, with ThinkSecret citing the use of brushed aluminum, perhaps to roughly mirror the looks of the iPhone.

Article Link

2. macrumors 6502a

Starflyer

Interesting...I like the macbooks keyboard. A welcomed change.

3. macrumors G5

AidenShaw

I'd rather have a laptop with a desktop-inspired keyboard, than a desktop with a laptop-inspired keyboard.

4. macrumors 6502a

interlaced

5. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Ditto. I'm not a fan of the MacBook keyboard.

6. macrumors P6

Peace

So it looks like the keyboard could be sold separately ?

7. Editor emeritus

longofest

Very true. I hope they aren't thinking about reviving the original iMac keyboard. Although I still use it as my server's keyboard as it is nice as small (so it is easy to tuck away), it is horrendous to type on.

Attached Files:

8. macrumors regular

Setting a unified appearance with product (iPhone like) starting with the iMac, then the new iPod makes sense. Can't wait to see them!

9. macrumors 68000

Nothing brushed

Well, once again I'll have to mention that the iPhone, nor any of Apple's products contain brushed anything. The iPhone has a chrome frame with cheap silver paint on the back that scrathes and chips off quite easily. Hope they don't make the iMac after that.

10. macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

11. Moderator emeritus

devilot

I dunno, I love Apple's notebook keyboards. More than any other (yes including desktop) keyboards I've ever used. Especially as I type this on a horrifically noisy HP KB that has travel for miles. :p

12. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If they're to be anything like the IceKey then it's long overdue. The current generation of Apple desktop keyboards is just awful, giant dirt and liquid traps with cheap feel.

13. macrumors 68030

BenRoethig

I absolutely hate the feel of the Macbook keyboard. The keys are too big and generally very difficult to type on.

14. macrumors 68000

All keyboards are. It's just that Apple was dumb enough to put them in a nice clear case so you can see all the crap. Lovely.

15. macrumors 68020

suneohair

16. macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

About time. The current version seems to have been around for years. I hope there's only a wireless version with a detachable usb cable... it seems daft to have two keyboards available when one could do both tasks.

17. macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

Yay, I love the Macbook keyboard. Just make it a little rounded upward, keep the USB Hub and keep it dish washable.

And they can't bring out a new keyboard without cringing out new iMacs, can they? Ok they did so with tth mighty mouse, but c'mon! :eek:

18. macrumors member

After putting it off since Christmas, I finally went out and bought a new Apple Wireless Keyboard just yesterday! Hilarious.

Also, I specifically didn't buy an Apple Wireless Mouse because I'm hoping for a new "multi-touch" mouse soon. I just hope it comes in white.

19. macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

Please please please... a keyboard with USB 2.0 and the ability to plug in a flash drive!

20. macrumors 6502a

I'll be very happy if this is true. I love the MacBook keyboard and I've wished many times for there to be an external keyboard like it.

The current keyboard is OK I think, but not as comfortable as the MB keyboard. Also it collects dust like crazy.

21. macrumors 68030

I think the distance between keys on the MacBook is exactly the same as the MBP's. The spacing does make them appear farther apart, but I think it's mainly psychological.

I think the PB/MBP keyboards are among the best keyboards ever (notebook or desktop) in terms of typing feel.

I hate the current Apple desktop keyboard- the keys are very spongy/mushy. Looking forward to what they come up with.

22. macrumors 68040

iSee

I hope they extent the BRUSHED look to all of their products!

LOL, you should give up on pointing out that Apple's products don't have a brushed look. It's like correcting spelling and grammar in posts: it's not going to accomplish anything, no one really cares, and it's really not that important anyway. :D

Side note: whatever it is on the backs of iPhones, it does NOT scratch or chip off easily--or at all in my case: someone who doesn't coddle his electronics.

23. macrumors 6502a

Funny, I was thinking that Apple was neglecting keyboard design. I always liked the old Apple split keyboard and now use a Microsoft Natural Pro. It's very well made and the contoured design is far easier on your hands if you do a lot of typing.

With Apple's design skills, it should be able to develop something radical that works well and looks good.

24. macrumors regular

how about just a wireless keyboard that charges an internal battery from a USB port? that way it can be both, and you wouldnt need to worry about changing batteries

25. macrumors G3

iMeowbot

They can be different. The IceKey does have some spill resistance (undocumented, but I found out the hard way), and the early Apple IIc models even had that feature.