PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook?

DZL
Jul 9, 2007, 01:47 PM
Hi all -

I am a new switcher - and I originally ordered a MBP 17", but after careful deliberation, decided to go instead with the Mac Pro (I do 3D and video work).

However, I'd still like a laptop for presentation purposes. And I was thinking of buying a pre-owned Powerbook from powermax(dot)com. I wanted a little more power than what a macbook would give me, as well as a larger screen (17"), but not have to spend as much as a new macbook pro.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks -

Matt

mrkramer
Jul 9, 2007, 01:50 PM
The PowerBooks are great machines, a little slow now, but if you already have a MacPro then that should not matter, so I would say to get one.

DZL
Jul 9, 2007, 01:52 PM
I forgot - would I be able to run bootcamp on the Powerbook's processor?

Thanks,

Matt

iBlue
Jul 9, 2007, 01:55 PM
I forgot - would I be able to run bootcamp on the Powerbook's processor?

Thanks,

Matt
No, only on the intel machines (macbook, macbook pro)

mrkramer
Jul 9, 2007, 01:55 PM
No you will not be able to run BootCamp on the powerbook, because it has a PowerPC processor and BootCamp requires an Intel processor.

DZL
Jul 9, 2007, 01:58 PM
Hey, thanks for the responses... I doubt I'll do any 3d work on this machine (maybe a little photoshop work), and video presentations; so it might do.

I figure i'll pay 1K on an older powerbook 17" and get a little more juice than i would with a brand new macbook.

iBlue
Jul 9, 2007, 02:00 PM
Is there a reason you wouldn't get a macbook? Might get a lot more gusto for your money that way. (other than screen real estate)

DZL
Jul 9, 2007, 02:04 PM
Is there a reason you wouldn't get a macbook? Might get a lot more gusto for your money that way. (other than screen real estate)

good question - other than screen size, i guess there'd be no problem with the macbook...

mrkramer
Jul 9, 2007, 02:04 PM
I think that the only reason to get the powerbook over the macbook would be for the screen size, but I havn't looked at what the powerbooks were selling for recently but I thought that they were going for less than 1K if they are really going for 1K then unless you need the larger screen I would go for a refurb MacBook.

DZL
Jul 9, 2007, 02:08 PM
I think that the only reason to get the powerbook over the macbook would be for the screen size, but I havn't looked at what the powerbooks were selling for recently but I thought that they were going for less than 1K if they are really going for 1K then unless you need the larger screen I would go for a refurb MacBook.

excellent point - i was looking at this machine:

Powerbook (http://www.powermax.com/product/Certified_Pre-Owned_Aluminum_PowerBook_G4_1.5_GHz/c-u62037.html)

i guess what i'm really paying for is more screen space...