Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DZL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Pasadena, CA
Hi all -

I am a new switcher - and I originally ordered a MBP 17", but after careful deliberation, decided to go instead with the Mac Pro (I do 3D and video work).

However, I'd still like a laptop for presentation purposes. And I was thinking of buying a pre-owned Powerbook from powermax(dot)com. I wanted a little more power than what a macbook would give me, as well as a larger screen (17"), but not have to spend as much as a new macbook pro.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks -

Matt

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The PowerBooks are great machines, a little slow now, but if you already have a MacPro then that should not matter, so I would say to get one.

DZL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Pasadena, CA
bootcamp?

I forgot - would I be able to run bootcamp on the Powerbook's processor?

Thanks,

Matt

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
No you will not be able to run BootCamp on the powerbook, because it has a PowerPC processor and BootCamp requires an Intel processor.

DZL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Pasadena, CA
thanks -

Hey, thanks for the responses... I doubt I'll do any 3d work on this machine (maybe a little photoshop work), and video presentations; so it might do.

I figure i'll pay 1K on an older powerbook 17" and get a little more juice than i would with a brand new macbook.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Is there a reason you wouldn't get a macbook? Might get a lot more gusto for your money that way. (other than screen real estate)

DZL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Pasadena, CA
Is there a reason you wouldn't get a macbook? Might get a lot more gusto for your money that way. (other than screen real estate)

good question - other than screen size, i guess there'd be no problem with the macbook...

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I think that the only reason to get the powerbook over the macbook would be for the screen size, but I havn't looked at what the powerbooks were selling for recently but I thought that they were going for less than 1K if they are really going for 1K then unless you need the larger screen I would go for a refurb MacBook.

DZL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Pasadena, CA
I think that the only reason to get the powerbook over the macbook would be for the screen size, but I havn't looked at what the powerbooks were selling for recently but I thought that they were going for less than 1K if they are really going for 1K then unless you need the larger screen I would go for a refurb MacBook.

excellent point - i was looking at this machine:

Powerbook

i guess what i'm really paying for is more screen space...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.