PDA

View Full Version : Konami exec. says Metal Gear Solid may go to other consoles

zero2dash
Jul 10, 2007, 10:29 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/10/konami-exec-says-metal-gear-solid-may-go-to-other-consoles/

Konami executive Kazumi Kitaue, head of Konami North America and European ops, dropped a bombshell today saying that Metal Gear Solid 4 may move to other consoles in an attempt to recoup development costs. He also said the PS3 price drop may not turn the ship around. The natural assumption, given the console hardware technology, is that Metal Gear Solid 4 will see its day on the Xbox 360, destroying one of the final feathers in Sony's hat of exclusives.

In regards to the PS3 price cut, Kitaue unleashes the backhand with quickness. "I don't expect a substantial impact ... with $500, you can buy a personal computer," Kitaue told Reuters. It's been surprising to see the mainstream media pick up on the $100 price drop without acknowledging that there is a new "better" model at the same price which caused all the calls for a price drop in the first place.

But for gamers, the first acknowledgment that Metal Gear Solid might find its way to other consoles is what's really going to shake things up. Kitaue says, "Since Metal Gear Solid was born for the PlayStation, we would like to keep it a PlayStation game. But we might have to take some steps." Whether those steps are announced this week or if this is some last ditch effort by Konami to force Sony to pony up exclusivity cash, which they say they do not do, is worth wondering about. If MGS goes to the Xbox 360 ... well, all eyes will be on Final Fantasy XIII as the last famous third-party man standing.

No matter what system(s) you are a fan of, you can't argue with the reasoning behind the rumor.

Development costs are skyrocketing and console exclusives just aren't lucrative enough anymore for 3rd party developers.

Sky Blue
Jul 10, 2007, 10:40 AM
Metal Gear Solid 4 for DS confirmed!!!

BoyBach
Jul 10, 2007, 10:40 AM
Don't forget that Konami (and Capcom) have been struggling with their bottom line recently.

Bearing this in mind, it would make sense for them to release their flagship titles on more than one system, be it PS3, PS2, Xbox360, Wii, PC or whatever.

zap2
Jul 10, 2007, 10:43 AM
PC and Xbox 360 I'd bet....anything else it would be cut down too much I think

e˛Studios
Jul 10, 2007, 10:54 AM
Kojima has already stated that MGS4 is PS3 only, its his studio, he calls the shots and has his own funds.

Keep dreaming.

Ed

BoyBach
Jul 10, 2007, 11:09 AM
Kojima has already stated that MGS4 is PS3 only, its his studio, he calls the shots and has his own funds.

Keep dreaming.

Ed

If the accountants at Konami say that MGS4 is being released on more than one system, then it will be released on more than just the PS3.

And that's a fact!

e˛Studios
Jul 10, 2007, 11:12 AM
If the accountants at Konami say that MGS4 is being released on more than one system, then it will be released on more than just the PS3.

And that's a fact!

It's a fact says you? Great, i believe you now! ;)

Konami may publish the game, but Kojima is the studio and they say where it goes. It is a fact that Kojima said it will be PS3 only because neither of the other systems could handle the game. See facts are only facts if you can back them up, search around and you will find the article im talking about.

Or you can just make more assumptions and misrepresent them as facts :p

Ed

Dagless
Jul 10, 2007, 11:17 AM
Oh come on. It's too obvious it's coming to either the 360 or the PC. Always has done.

How on earth do Konami hope to make a profit on MGS4 if it's being released on just 1, 3rd place console? When you consider that MGS3 is the only MG game to never be released on another console out of, how many games? And that the cost of production for this game is going to be astronomical.

Then the accounts go and say we should expect it on other systems?
Funny thing is. The longer this is in development for the more its going to cost. The more they can't risk a loss on 1 system.

(not that I'd buy it. I'm no MGS fan. I <3 the first and aren't keen on the rest)

mrgreen4242
Jul 10, 2007, 11:30 AM

Konami may publish the game, but Kojima is the studio and they say where it goes. It is a fact that Kojima said it will be PS3 only because neither of the other systems could handle the game. See facts are only facts if you can back them up, search around and you will find the article im talking about.

Ed

Who makes the game is completely irrelevant. Who OWNS the rights to game are all that matters. I don't know who owns the rights for MGS4, if it's the studio or the publisher. But, that's the deciding factor, not the guy who makes it.

As for no other system being able to handle it... well, we'll see what it looks like, but point out a PS3 game that looks as good as GoW on the 360 let alone better and maybe you'll get some support for that. The only edge that the PS3 has on the 360 is disc size, as far as any real world game performance has shown so far. Maybe MGS4 will be so huge it couldn't possible fit onto DVD9 and would be split onto two discs, but at that point (18gb) I'd be very shocked to see it needing more room unless they're doing a ton of HD FMV, which is stupid anways and cold be compressed with slightly lower resolutions and quality, etc. Two discs would be a hassle, but not a deal breaker.

Dagless
Jul 10, 2007, 11:37 AM
Who makes the game is completely irrelevant. Who OWNS the rights to game are all that matters. I don't know who owns the rights for MGS4, if it's the studio or the publisher. But, that's the deciding factor, not the guy who makes it.

Exactly. That's how it goes. Whoever actually owns the game can take it to another developer, or middleware company, and ask them to port it. Which confused the hell out of me as a kid, I thought Factor 5 developed R-Type :D

BoyBach
Jul 10, 2007, 11:37 AM

Ed

No, Kojima Studios are the developers. Konami are the publishers (who presumably pay the overheads?), so they decide where the game goes.

Would it be foolish for Konami to tread on the toes of their superstar developer? Absolutely. Is it beyond the realms of possibilty? Not at all.

Is it a fact? Probably! ( ;) )

Haoshiro
Jul 10, 2007, 11:40 AM
Ed H, it really sounds like you don't understand how these things work.

Right or wrong, publishers pretty much control what happens, and they are the ones spending most of the money - that gives them the say in these matters.

There are a few companies, like Valve, who can call their own shots (they have Steam, etc) - but I highly doubt Kojima Productions is one of those companies.

e˛Studios
Jul 10, 2007, 11:44 AM

Right or wrong, publishers pretty much control what happens, and they are the ones spending most of the money - that gives them the say in these matters.

There are a few companies, like Valve, who can call their own shots (they have Steam, etc) - but I highly doubt Kojima Productions is one of those companies.

Hao, Kojima calls the shots and has its own bean counters. Maybe you should teach yourself a little something someday ;)

Ed

Haoshiro
Jul 10, 2007, 11:57 AM
Hao, Kojima calls the shots and has its own bean counters. Maybe you should teach yourself a little something someday ;)

Ed

Heh, whatever you say. I mean, since you say it, it must be right!

Kojima is an employee of Konami. He was the vice president of KCEJ (Konami Computer Entertainment Japan), a subsidiary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsidiary) of Konami.

KCEJ was turned into "Kojima Productions", so that Hideo himself wouldn't have to mess around with the business/management side and focus on developing games.

So now he has more time for games, but the business side of things he isn't even in charge of. Now how can you "call the shots" if that isn't your position? He's still Konami's employee, they still pay the money, he makes the games - Konami decides the business moves, such as platform.

michaelltd
Jul 10, 2007, 11:57 AM
You know though, didn't the guy in charge or developing Resident Evil 4 originally say that RE4 was going to stay exclusive as well?

I have no doubt it'll be exclusive for PS3 for now, but I think sooner or later we're goning to see it somewhere else.

e˛Studios
Jul 10, 2007, 11:59 AM
Heh, whatever you say. I mean, since you say it, it must be right!

Kojima is an employee of Konami. He was the vice president of KCEJ (Konami Computer Entertainment Japan), a subsidiary (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsidiary) of Konami.

KCEJ was turned into "Kojima Productions", so that Hideo himself wouldn't have to mess around with the business/management side and focus on developing games.

So now he has more time for games, but the business side of things he isn't even in charge of. Now how can you "call the shots" if that isn't your position? He's still Konami's employee, they still pay the money, he makes the games - Konami decides the business moves, such as platform.

Whatever makes you sleep better ;)

2nyRiggz
Jul 10, 2007, 12:05 PM
I'm sure MGS4 will port over to the 360 but I don't think it will at the same time as for the PS3. Just as I see Bioshock coming over to the PS3 maybe next year the same goes here....but by that time I'll already flip over MGS4 twice.

Bless

GFLPraxis
Jul 10, 2007, 01:48 PM

Ed

And really, who do you think tells the accountant that the game is coming to XBox 360? Hmmm...I'd guess Kojima.

Coded-Dude
Jul 10, 2007, 02:04 PM
buwhahahahahahaha.......

As Ed already stated - MGS4 is confirmed PS3 exclusive. This comment was not from the Japan studio, but from their NA counterpart, and if it does go to "other" platforms, it will be a new title or a spin-off(or a very long timed-exclusive). I highly doubt he is talking about MGS4, but MGS in general. ;)

zero2dash
Jul 10, 2007, 02:06 PM
Kojima has already stated that MGS4 is PS3 only

Mikami also said RE4 would not appear on any other consoles than Gamecube or he'd chop his own head off.

Funny how times change...:rolleyes:
and AFAIK, his head's still intact. :p

Kojima has no say where the game is published. If he's so adamant about it, he'd cease developing the game now and cut his losses. Of course he wouldn't get paid and the game would never see the light of day.

buwhahahahahahaha.......

As Ed already stated - MGS4 is confirmed PS3 exclusive. This comment was not from the Japan studio, but from their NA counterpart, and if it does go to "other" platforms, it will be a new title or a spin-off(or a very long timed-exclusive). I highly doubt he is talking about MGS4, but MGS in general. ;)

Just like Devil May Cry 4, Assassin's Creed and Virtua Fighter 5 were Ps3 exclusives. :p

Sorry to both of you...wake up and smell the coffee. Any third party title anymore is not a guaranteed exclusive. In-house, ok. I don't expect to see Dave Jaffe demoing God of War 3 on the 360 or Bungie showing Halo 3 on the Ps3. But come on already. :rolleyes: All the "guaranteed exclusives" have went out the window and are no longer "guaranteed". The only one left is Final Fantasy, and even that one's in question.

MacRumorUser
Jul 10, 2007, 02:08 PM
It's like being on vacation in Egypt round here.

I see a lot of people in d'nile ;):D

Coded-Dude
Jul 10, 2007, 02:12 PM
tries to find old jpeg with MGS4 for 360 image
(showing a 20 dvd set.....lol)

zero2dash
Jul 10, 2007, 02:18 PM
...because swapping discs is so horrendously bad and ruins the experience, doesn't it? :p

LOL :rolleyes:
whatever helps you sleep at night, knowing that the Ps3 is closer to losing another exclusive ;)

MacRumorUser
Jul 10, 2007, 02:23 PM
tries to find old jpeg with MGS4 for 360 image
(showing a 20 dvd set.....lol)

It's probably next to the quote that each level of Lair takes 9GB and that all PS3 games will require huge storage space.....

And we have to remember BluRay will not result in developers filling it with just cheesy extra content to bump up the disc usuage at all will it.....

But oh wait... what about Warhawk being downloadable, and the only benefit of buying it on disc is loads of making of movies filling the disc....

mmmmmm.

Seriously WHO CARES if MGS4 goes Multiplatform. People need to get off their high horses. At the end of the day this makes financial sense for konami especially considering the poor sales of ps3 in Japan so far.
Kojima wants his gme to be a commercial success, for that he needs multiplatform.

2nyRiggz
Jul 10, 2007, 02:25 PM
Whats the reall sense of it....MS lost a lot of "exclusive" too but I hear nothing about it...it makes sense for games to go this route but being smart biz players Sony and MS will pay a little extra to keep the software a timed exclusive.

I see no problem here....I still rather MGS on the PS3 and thats what I'll buy it for...more money for them...more gaming for me.

Bless

Coded-Dude
Jul 10, 2007, 03:42 PM
With Sony dropping the price of the PlayStation 3 by $100, Konami is now saying that it just isn’t enough to turn the fortunes of the console.

In an interview with Reuters, Kazumi Kitaue, the head of Konami's North American and European operations said, “I wonder if Sony can win back user support by the price cut of just $100. I don't expect a substantial impact ... With $500, you can buy a personal computer."

Kitaue also mentioned that Konami may need to start developing Metal Gear Solid for other consoles in the future in order to recoup development costs.

"Since Metal Gear Solid was born for the PlayStation, we would like to keep it a PlayStation game. But we might have to take some steps," Kitaue said.

Konami expects to grow in the next business year, starting April 2008. With an estimated 5 percent growth for this year, the user base for the Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, and PS3 continues to expand.

"Next year is still a growth period. I think we will grow, and so will the industry," he said

thats says in the future...FUTURE TITLES - meaning there is currently NO intention to have MGS4 on any consoles except the one it was specifically designed for. case closed.

Oh, and btw........we got one back(kind of).
IGN.com has a playstation only news podcast running now and that new podcast is now on its third episode. In the most recent episode, Jeremy Dunham (previous editor of ign playstation channel) states that a previously thought multiplatform game will be announced to be a ps3 exclusive by that third party come wednesday morning.

Possibles: Fatal Inertia (LOL), Beautiful Katamary, Haze, RE5, Assassin's Creed, GTA IV (LOL), UT, Burnout Paradise, Devil May Cry, Lost Planet 2, Dead Rising 2?

MacRumorUser
Jul 10, 2007, 04:10 PM
Oh, and btw........we got one back(kind of).

Possibles: Fatal Inertia (LOL), Beautiful Katamary, Haze, RE5, Assassin's Creed, GTA IV (LOL), UT, Burnout Paradise, Devil May Cry, Lost Planet 2, Dead Rising 2?

HAZE I'd say. There's no way any of the rest will be exclusive on PS3

Dagless
Jul 10, 2007, 04:13 PM
Heh, before your post MRU I was predicting Haze too, purely because Timesplitters had 1 game exclusive to the PS2 before hand. Or perhaps a Burnout spin off.

2nyRiggz
Jul 10, 2007, 04:20 PM
My money is on Haze, heavy rain or Dark Sector.
Haze is looking rather good although I'm not interested in it....have to see more before I get on the bandwagon.

Isn't burnout a timed exclusive?

Bless

Coded-Dude
Jul 10, 2007, 04:30 PM
I believe Heavy Rain is already exclusive as well.
(either way, i don't believe it was previously THOUGHT to be multi-platform)

MacRumorUser
Jul 10, 2007, 04:46 PM
I believe Heavy Rain is already exclusive as well.
(either way, i don't believe it was previously THOUGHT to be multi-platform)

Heavy Rain's the one from the guys who brought us Farrenheit/Indigo Prophecy yes ? If so I'll be getting that in a flash.

Haze has never been announced as multi-platform either, it's just being assumed.

Coded-Dude
Jul 10, 2007, 05:18 PM
The french development studio Quantic Dream was founded in 1997 by David Cage. Already Quantic Dream has made a reputation for themselves in the videogames industry, in particular for interactive narration and emotional content. The most important realisations form this studio are: Fahrenheit (called Indogo Prophecy in the USA and Canada), a game that has won a price in 2005 and mixes game and cinema, completely renewing the adventure genre.

.....yes

MacRumorUser
Jul 10, 2007, 05:27 PM
.....yes

Sweet... :cool:

I really enjoyed Indigo Prophecy. Very few games these days keep me playing to completion, but it did and pretty much played it from start to finish in one long sitting. I really got immersed in it, if Heavy Rain is as good - I'll be in seventh heaven.

Sod MGS4 - give me that instead :D

zap2
Jul 10, 2007, 06:26 PM
.MS lost a lot of "exclusive" too but I hear nothing about it

While MS may have lost some, not as many as Sony did,nor as big as the ones Sony lost. Some of Sony's biggest games were from 3rd parties , and most of them are on non-Sony systems now.

Or the forms hate Sony, and love MS.

Yup, thats it, Mac forums are full of MS fanboys ;)

Coded-Dude
Jul 11, 2007, 10:51 AM
"Kitaue is constantly trying to force Kojima to drop the game's PS3 exclusivity, which Hideo refuses point blank to do."
source (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=167633)

Dagless
Jul 11, 2007, 01:40 PM
Did anyone point blank refuse porting Resident Evil 4 and other "exclusive" games?

zero2dash
Jul 11, 2007, 02:19 PM
Did anyone point blank refuse porting Resident Evil 4 and other "exclusive" games?

(posted on page 1)
Mikami also said RE4 would not appear on any other consoles than Gamecube or he'd chop his own head off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_4#Nintendo_GameCube_exclusivity

As a result of heavy losses incurred in 2002, the company later confirmed that not all the Resident Evil series games were actually exclusive to the console, with the exception of Resident Evil 4. Shinji Mikami, in an interview with a Japanese magazine, claimed that he would "cut [his own] head off" if Resident Evil 4 came to the PlayStation 2.[citation needed]

After the announcement of the exclusivity policy, Capcom still announced two Resident Evil titles for the PlayStation 2; Gun Survivor 4 (Resident Evil: Dead Aim) and Outbreak. Capcom stated that those games were side stories and not subject to the GameCube policy, adding that the games also required the use of additional peripherals (a light gun and online support) that were not available for the GameCube.

On October 31, 2004, Capcom officially announced that Resident Evil 4 would come to the PlayStation 2 near the end of 2005, citing increased profit, changing market conditions, and increased consumer satisfaction as the key reasons (this, and that Capcom was equally pleased with the sole sales of Resident Evil Outbreak). Resident Evil (remake) and Resident Evil Zero would remain GameCube exclusives.[citation needed] Mr. Mikami did not, in fact, cut off his own head.

Once again, let's reiterate that Kojima is a developer, not a publisher, and the publisher is in charge of what consoles the game is released on.

Coded-Dude
Jul 11, 2007, 03:35 PM
Last MGS game being done by HIDEO and the last with the current characters.
Konami may make more, but they will not be the same.

So the legend that is "Snake!" will be born, and die on PlayStation exclusively.

Dagless
Jul 11, 2007, 04:50 PM
So it wasn't Snake in MG?

Coded-Dude
Jul 11, 2007, 04:55 PM
oh snap! get all technical on me...I was just gonna say the MGS series, but I figured you'd get my drift. :p
Anywho, it will be interesting to see what direction Konami goes in AFTER Hideo leaves....:confused:

Dagless
Jul 11, 2007, 04:58 PM
Actually that was a question, since I never played the originals :p :D

Coded-Dude
Jul 11, 2007, 05:02 PM
No...it was Solid Snake - the original game was his first mission as a FOXHOUND member. :D

Antares
Jul 11, 2007, 05:27 PM
How does the Gamecube version (update) of Metal Gear Solid fit into the whole exclusivity notion?

Chone
Jul 11, 2007, 05:44 PM
I've been out of the Metal Gear loop since I finished MGS3 and got bored with it.

But, didn't you play Big Boss (from MGS3) in the MSX metal gear games?

I thought it was Metal Gear Solid (hence the title) the game where Solid Snake was first introduced.

Anyways, on the whole topic... I've given up hope on the PS3 and will be getting a 360 simply because all the games that kept me tied to the PS3 are now going to be released for the 360... then I'll buy a Wii and then I'll buy a PS3 (possibly a PSThree if they are ever able to shrink that thing ;)) near the end of the generation when its cheap to play all the exclusives (if there are any :() that I missed.

Also, is katamari still on board for the PS3?

Coded-Dude
Jul 11, 2007, 05:48 PM
Big Boss was the leader of FOXHOUND in the MSX days

Dagless
Jul 11, 2007, 05:55 PM
How does the Gamecube version (update) of Metal Gear Solid fit into the whole exclusivity notion?

How do the PC and Xbox MGS2 fit in either?
The GC one was really over the top. The cheesy cutscenes just complimented the cheesy everything else in the whole series, at least the PS1 version was a little more subtle. Great game actually. Love it on both systems. Little bit linear though.

Also, is katamari still on board for the PS3?

Nope. 360 and Wii, no DS though.

Coded-Dude
Jul 11, 2007, 06:07 PM
Metal Gear was the original and other other titles folowed the same premise: Codename Solid Snale has to destroy the latest Metal Gear.

Metal Gear Solid was supposed to be one of the GREATEST VIDEO GAMES EVER MADE, and its target was PlayStation. Metal Gear Solid has not seen a game on any other console. Ghost Babel, for example was merely titled Metal Gear for marketing reasons, not because it was part of the series(per se - more like an alternate to the series).

Dagless
Jul 11, 2007, 06:18 PM
Codename Solid Snale
It's not important, but that made me giggle a bit :)

Metal Gear Solid has not seen a game on any other console.

http://www.gametab.com/images/ss/gcn/2321/box-l.jpg http://cdn.channel.aol.com/ch_gamedaily/bs/xbox/111/453.jpg

Say HI!

Timed exclusives?

edit: ooh, I FORGOT ABOUT THE PC VERSION OF MGS1 TOO. Sorry, caps disease must be spreading!

Coded-Dude
Jul 11, 2007, 06:21 PM
"an enhanced remake" of MGS with MGS2 gameplay.

What I'm saying is every "Metal Gear Solid" games was developed for the PlayStation.
All the others are remakes/spin-offs. (if that makes sense)

Dagless
Jul 11, 2007, 06:25 PM
Hmm, so what you're saying is Sony machines get the first game, then they are later remade better for other machines?

Integral (which was even published by Microsoft :D) , Twin Snakes, Substance...

Coded-Dude
Jul 11, 2007, 06:28 PM
The story is never advanced on any other platform.......they are either remakes (yes, with enhanced gameplay/visuals :p) or spin-offs/alternates to the actual storyline.

The Metal Gear Solid story is done on PS first and every thing else second(if at all). ;)

XNine
Jul 11, 2007, 10:06 PM
Hmm, so what you're saying is Sony machines get the first game, then they are later remade better for other machines?

Integral (which was even published by Microsoft :D) , Twin Snakes, Substance...

Of the MGS series, anything that was not on the Playstation was terrible. Twin Snakes, the ONLY reason I ever had a GC, was garbage. the MGS2 port to Xbox, just as bad. While it was essentially the same game, it was remarkable at how little effort (just running in the rain on the deck of the ship) would make the game slow down. The PS2 version took me throwing grenade after grenade and all of the explosions and guards running and shooting at the same time to make the game slow down.

MGS4, as of today's E3 announcements, is still PS3 exclusive. And while I will miss Hideo's vision in the games, I think 4 games to the series has been exceptional, not counting the spin-offs and remakes (which also includes VR Missions, which was awesome too).

2nyRiggz
Jul 11, 2007, 10:19 PM
Everytime MGS is ported over it feels shady...the controls suck or the game is down right sucky. Yeah they really "polish" em when they port it...polish it so much that they run like crap.

Some games just don't feel right on another system....I wonder how RE5 will feel on the 360...Silent Hill felt sloopy on the box.

Bless

Haoshiro
Jul 12, 2007, 08:47 AM
At this point everyone should just agree to a simple consensus:

Kojima is dumb if he makes MGS4 a PS3 only title, and he isn't helping Konami any either.

At this stage, they should have been cross-developing a title like MGS4 and shoveled all the money into their vaults. Same with Square and FF13.

There isn't a good reason for either of those to be PS3 exclusive, especially FF13, isn't that being created on UE3?

I'm sure people would come up with a few reasons: Blu-ray, HDD, extra developing expense, etc. But the truth is, with blockbusters like these those issues aren't big enough for them to be determining factors.

Make the 360 use multiple disks if needed, require the harddrive if you have to (you shouldn't have to, but MS would probably let them get away with it or help them with an alternate solution), and the extra expense - pointless considering the extra revenue they would make.

Coded-Dude
Jul 12, 2007, 10:41 AM
Considering its the end of the "series" (per se), and the lifespan of the PS3, I'd say it should do very well over the next 5-6 years. Plus Konami said they'll make up any losses on future multi-platform titles. I think a port would leave most disappointed, as most are with current/previous ports of older games in the series.

Dagless
Jul 12, 2007, 10:56 AM
Oh (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/review/589712.html) yea (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/review/561507.html)? hmm (http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/review/367316.html)...

They do look like terribly received games to me.

Chone
Jul 12, 2007, 11:26 AM
You do realize the whole argument is pretty much pointless?

I mean, MGS4 will be released on the PS3 and thats the only thing that matters. Now things like the PS3 ACTUALLY losing Katamari, now thats what sucks.

MacRumorUser
Jul 12, 2007, 03:29 PM
Just downloaded the trailer on PSN.

Again what is it with the textures. Things like crates, walls and a lot of the clothing have awful texture detail.

The kung fu bits at the end were pretty savage though, even if they seemingly looked more like a traider for a new soul calibur style beat-em-up than a stealth em up.

Coded-Dude
Jul 12, 2007, 04:08 PM
We'll see Hideo demo the game next week at PlayStation Premiere. ;)

seenew
Jul 12, 2007, 04:49 PM
You do realize the whole argument is pretty much pointless?

I mean, MGS4 will be released on the PS3 and thats the only thing that matters. Now things like the PS3 ACTUALLY losing Katamari, now thats what sucks.

No, it doesn't matter that it's on the PS3, because if it's on other systems as well, people will not buy a PS3. Most people already have a 360 or Wii (or both) so if it came out on a system they already own, why would they buy a new system? It's bad, bad news for Sony if (when) it goes multiplatform.

Haoshiro
Jul 12, 2007, 05:04 PM
Just downloaded the trailer on PSN.

Again what is it with the textures. Things like crates, walls and a lot of the clothing have awful texture detail.

The kung fu bits at the end were pretty savage though, even if they seemingly looked more like a traider for a new soul calibur style beat-em-up than a stealth em up.

It's a PlayStation trend it seems, the hardware is usually the least friendly to good textures as Sony pushes polycount over texturing.

I think that has just bled into the PS developer community, and even when they can do better they just don't prioritize it... which is sad, because textures are hugely important. :rolleyes:

It's been a trend on every Sony system... I was honestly expecting that to end with PS3!

Chone
Jul 13, 2007, 12:10 AM
No, it doesn't matter that it's on the PS3, because if it's on other systems as well, people will not buy a PS3. Most people already have a 360 or Wii (or both) so if it came out on a system they already own, why would they buy a new system? It's bad, bad news for Sony if (when) it goes multiplatform.

Well but you said it yourself... bad news for Sony but not for gamers, if people already have a PS3 then why would they care if Xbox360 owners will also be able to play MGS4 if they can too? Like I said, exclusives are what really affects gamers because that means more consoles to buy or not being able to play a game you really want because you only have a console. I think we can all argue that from a gamer's point of view, it can only mean bad things when a console loses a game rather than winning one.

Bad news for Sony? Well, I hate to break it to you Mr. Playstation but you CAN indeed buy any console you damn want :)

For gamers exclusivity means bad things, sharing all the loot between consoles means good things... can anyone argue with this?

Haoshiro
Jul 13, 2007, 08:34 AM
For gamers exclusivity means bad things, sharing all the loot between consoles means good things... can anyone argue with this?

Sure. Exclusives are often considered of higher quality then a dedicated multi-platform title. Because when you develop for multiple systems, compromises are bound to be made.

If the game is exclusive to a system, the developers can dedicate all of their time and effort on a single platform, and it's hard to argue the results of that would be bad.

In the end, though, it's still better for consumers in terms of choice and having to spend less money; if games are not exclusives, though.

Chone
Jul 13, 2007, 11:19 AM
Sure. Exclusives are often considered of higher quality then a dedicated multi-platform title. Because when you develop for multiple systems, compromises are bound to be made.

If the game is exclusive to a system, the developers can dedicate all of their time and effort on a single platform, and it's hard to argue the results of that would be bad.

In the end, though, it's still better for consumers in terms of choice and having to spend less money; if games are not exclusives, though.

Then again I can definitely see your point there, multi platform games sometimes tend to show some shortcomings... the problem with the gaming industry is that its becoming too commercial.

This is probably why I've taken a step backwards and started playing very few games lately, games just don't get me as excited as before and I know why because they are not as good.

zero2dash
Jul 13, 2007, 01:05 PM
After a few days of thought...I hate to say it but I really don't care either way whether MGS4 comes to the 360, because I'll have Splinter Cell: Conviction to play, and given the last few "stealth action" titles that I've played (Splinter Cell and MGS2), I'd rather have the Splinter Cell offering than the MGS one. ;)

(And I swear I say that with the utmost sincerity; I'm not just saying that as a revenge/poke in the eye since SC:C is a 360 exclusive. :))

XNine
Jul 13, 2007, 04:56 PM
After a few days of thought...I hate to say it but I really don't care either way whether MGS4 comes to the 360, because I'll have Splinter Cell: Conviction to play, and given the last few "stealth action" titles that I've played (Splinter Cell and MGS2), I'd rather have the Splinter Cell offering than the MGS one. ;)

(And I swear I say that with the utmost sincerity; I'm not just saying that as a revenge/poke in the eye since SC:C is a 360 exclusive. :))

Play MGS3, it's a lot better than 2. And splinter cell is the KMART version of MGS. Just like Gobots were the KMART version of Transformers.

The fact that some say Kojima is "stupid" if he doesn't go multi-platform makes me laugh. You're talking about the most innovative game director in the industry being stupid. Perhaps money isn't everything to him? And that's all I hear about companies like EA who puts out crappy titles left and right; that all they want is money and don't care about the gamers anymore. So why bitch about Kojima actually caring about how is product turns out? Because it costs you money? Pft. You can't take it with you and it's not like you won't make more.

ReanimationLP
Jul 15, 2007, 11:05 AM

Kojima is dumb if he makes MGS4 a PS3 only title, and he isn't helping Konami any either.

At this stage, they should have been cross-developing a title like MGS4 and shoveled all the money into their vaults. Same with Square and FF13.

There isn't a good reason for either of those to be PS3 exclusive, especially FF13, isn't that being created on UE3?

I'm sure people would come up with a few reasons: Blu-ray, HDD, extra developing expense, etc. But the truth is, with blockbusters like these those issues aren't big enough for them to be determining factors.

Make the 360 use multiple disks if needed, require the harddrive if you have to (you shouldn't have to, but MS would probably let them get away with it or help them with an alternate solution), and the extra expense - pointless considering the extra revenue they would make.

Final Fantasy XIII is being developed on Squares' White Engine, that was developed for Cell.

And the MGS2 port to Xbox blows. God, is the framerate horrible. Ditto for the PC port.

I personally dont really care for the series that much. The only time I ever bothered to play them, was when I could get them for under 10 bucks.

seenew
Jul 15, 2007, 05:30 PM
You're talking about the most innovative game director in the industry being stupid.

hahaha. Most innovative? In the industry? :rolleyes:

Dagless
Jul 15, 2007, 05:34 PM

He's a fan of MGS, let him have his cake ;)

XNine
Jul 15, 2007, 08:38 PM

I don't see what's funny, it's true. How much detail are put in his games? No one else has that level of detail in their game, either in story or game play. Infra-red beams holding you up? Have a cigarette! Shaking hands while sniping? Have a cigarette!

In all seriousness, you won't find the level of interaction in any other game out there, on any platform. He builds you into a 16 hour long spy movie.

Chone
Jul 15, 2007, 09:30 PM
I don't see what's funny, it's true. How much detail are put in his games? No one else has that level of detail in their game, either in story or game play. Infra-red beams holding you up? Have a cigarette! Shaking hands while sniping? Have a cigarette!

In all seriousness, you won't find the level of interaction in any other game out there, on any platform. He builds you into a 16 hour long spy movie.

Please stop, I love Metal Gear Solid just as much as the next guy (as long as that guy is not Jimmy :D) and I really mean love but even a blind man 10km away from you could see you're a fanboy :rolleyes:

MacRumorUser
Jul 16, 2007, 06:07 AM
He builds you into a 16 hour long spy movie.

A 16 hour epic filled with non sensical plot lines, very poor dialogue, terrible acting, and the campest set of characters outside of priscilla queen of the desert.

Great stuff sign me up ;):D

Dagless
Jul 16, 2007, 06:21 AM
You want to play a game with details and interactivity? You haven't played Half Life 2 or Metroid Prime have you?
Or what about Kings Quest games, notorious for details (You tripped over a cat!).

or what about Smash Bros Melee? Where you could breed Mr. and Mrs. Saturns by throwing them at each other, and the physics engine that controlled everything. After playing through MGS1 I'd say Melee has more attention to detail. Hideo's even working on Brawl :D

MacRumorUser
Jul 16, 2007, 07:01 AM
This has probably been posted. This was AFTER the Sony E3 announcements

E3 07: Konami mulling multiplatform MGS4
Japanese publisher doesn't expect a "substantial impact" from $100 PS3 discount, says game's exclusivity is in question.

SANTA MONICA, Calif.--Earlier this week, Sony dropped the price on its PlayStation 3 60GB model from $599 to $499. Analysts responded favorably to the announcement, saying it would put pressure on Microsoft to drop the price of its Xbox 360 system, the priciest configuration of which currently costs $479. But while analysts might think the cut is enough to make the PS3 cost-competitive, one of Sony's biggest publishing partners appears underwhelmed.

Speaking with Reuters, Konami North American and European operations head Kazumi Kitaue expressed doubt. "I wonder if Sony can win back user support by the price cut of just $100," Kitaue said, adding, "I don't expect a substantial impact...With $500, you can buy a personal computer."

Kitaue no doubt would like a cheaper PS3 in order to spike sales of the machine and have a larger installed user base in place for Konami's highly anticipated PS3 exclusive Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. However, the executive said Konami might have to bring the series to non-Sony systems in order to make its development money back.

"Since Metal Gear Solid was born for the PlayStation, we would like to keep it a PlayStation game," Kitaue said. "But we might have to take some steps."

What I expect to happen.

MGS4 will remain a PS3 exclusive in Japan
MGS4 will be a timed exclusive in North America & Europe

Either way, I won't be buying it for either format.

2nyRiggz
Jul 16, 2007, 09:37 AM
You want to play a game with details and interactivity? You haven't played Half Life 2 or Metroid Prime have you?

I'm agreeing with you on HL2 & MP....but the others. MGS is very detailed I must agree with Oni.

16 hour epic filled with non sensical plot lines, very poor dialogue, terrible acting, and the campest set of characters outside of priscilla queen of the desert.

Ummm this is the case with every game except 16 hours bit...which I like about MGS.

There are only those rare games where the acting doesn't suck or the script is very bad...games that can get to you without words(I'm looking at ICO & SoTC)

MGS has its moments where it shines and its always a ride to go through...even if that ride is kinda confusing along the way;)

Bless

Coded-Dude
Jul 16, 2007, 09:51 AM
This was AFTER the Sony E3 announcements

No it wasn't.
The price cut was announced before E3, and this statement was made a day before the Sony press conference. MGS4 will almost definitely remain exclusive.

7/11/07:
* 9:00am - Nintendo Press Conference
* 9:00am-5:30pm - Meeting suites open at the Fairmont Hotel
* 11:30am - Sony Press Conference
* 1:00-6:30pm - Barker Hanger open to view games
* 2:00pm - Electronic Arts conference
* 3:15pm - Activision conference
* 4:30pm - Midway conference
* 5:45pm - Konami conference

Konami makes statement on 7/10/2007 (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26543)

;)

2nyRiggz
Jul 16, 2007, 09:57 AM
Indeed...the coded one is right...that statement was before sonys E3 conference...you will not see MGS4 on another system until 2009(if ever).

Bless

MacRumorUser
Jul 16, 2007, 11:56 AM
Oops should have checked the date more closely. Maybe that fact I didn't really care could have played a part in my lapsidaisical research ;):D

coffey7
Jul 17, 2007, 09:00 PM
I always hated those games. The controls and the camera angles drove me nuts. I hope it goes to the 360 just to make the ps3 fanboys get mad.

Chone
Jul 17, 2007, 09:52 PM
I always hated those games. The controls and the camera angles drove me nuts. I hope it goes to the 360 just to make the ps3 fanboys get mad.

my, aren't we bitter today huh?

2nyRiggz
Jul 18, 2007, 10:32 AM
Even more MGS action plus new IPs...looks like PS3 owners will be getting a totally online MGS.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/805/805704p1.html

If you look closely you can see a reason why the PS3 didn't get Beautiful Katamari....new title for that system.

Bless

Coded-Dude
Jul 21, 2007, 05:53 PM
GameInformer: Is Metal Gear Solid 4 still exclusive? Is that solidified and will never appear on the Xbox 360?

Harrison: Yes. We said it was an exclusive title.

case closed

Dagless
Jul 21, 2007, 06:32 PM
So... it takes some execs to say it will be multiplatform, but the ones who say it won't be get a "case closed"? :rolleyes:

GFLPraxis
Jul 21, 2007, 06:48 PM

Compared to Metroid Prime where you can X-Ray the bones in your hand, see the reflection of your face when a nearby explosion goes off by your visor, everything has a heat signature, water runs off your visor when you get out of the water, etc, etc...

Don't make bold statements like "most innovative in the industry". And I think calling someone the "most innovative" for having a lot of detail is a very poor way to judge when they are standing next to people like Shigeru Miyamoto.

e˛Studios
Jul 21, 2007, 06:49 PM
So... it takes some execs to say it will be multiplatform, but the ones who say it won't be get a "case closed"? :rolleyes:

Compared to Metroid Prime where you can X-Ray the bones in your hand, see the reflection of your face when a nearby explosion goes off by your visor, everything has a heat signature, water runs off your visor when you get out of the water, etc, etc...

Don't make bold statements like "most innovative in the industry". And I think calling someone the "most innovative" for having a lot of detail is a very poor way to judge when they are standing next to people like Shigeru Miyamoto.

http://image.bizrate.co.uk/resize?sq=100&uid=374497285&mid=82610

GFLPraxis
Jul 21, 2007, 06:51 PM
case closed

Oooh, a Sony exec says it's still exclusive. No way.

Look, I frankly don't care in the slightest which way MGS4 goes. I've seen enough rumors flying either way that I wouldn't be surprised if it goes multiplatform, and I won't be surprised if it doesn't.

Whatever. In all likelyhood MGS4 will probably pull a Resident Evil 4; launch as an exclusive, then 6 months later once the exclusive deal ends re-launch on an opposing platform and sell much better. Resident Evil 4 launched on GameCube, sold well, then relaunched on PS2, and sold better.

zap2
Jul 21, 2007, 06:51 PM
case closed

For now, yes. But I bet if you had asked Nintendo if RE4 was an only for NGC, they would have said yes......I can see MGS4 pulling a RE4 and getting ported to other systems.

Or maybe, the PS3 will sell enough units to make MGS4 going to other systems, not make sense.

Personal, I think Capcom may have thrown the idea around but for now, its not really on the table.

GFLPraxis
Jul 21, 2007, 06:52 PM
http://image.bizrate.co.uk/resize?sq=100&uid=374497285&mid=82610

Your response is a wrench? What? Articulate please.

applekid
Jul 21, 2007, 08:52 PM
Metal Gear Online... :confused: If it's really like the one from Subsistence, I'm going to be disappointed. Metal Gear and online deathmatches didn't work out. If it was more like Splinter Cell where one team gets a first-person view and the other team gets a third person view, I might be interested. Haven't played Portable Ops yet, so I don't know how that's like, but the Subsistence online game was terrible. They really need to design this one well.

I won't be surprised if Metal Gear Solid 4 will show up repackaged like Substance or Subsistence and show up multi-platform. However, I will be sure to buy a PS3 version of MGS4 and wait for a reasonable PS3 price drop or an Xbox 360 version, whichever comes first.

michaelltd
Jul 21, 2007, 10:20 PM
I won't be surprised if Metal Gear Solid 4 will show up repackaged like Substance or Subsistence and show up multi-platform. However, I will be sure to buy a PS3 version of MGS4 and wait for a reasonable PS3 price drop or an Xbox 360 version, whichever comes first.

That's what I am thinking.

Coded-Dude
Jul 23, 2007, 10:33 AM
So there's absolutely no way Sony could ever get a Gears of War type IP(even though its rumored as well), but you all believe this will drop multi-platform(based on rumors). :confused:

MacRumorUser
Jul 23, 2007, 10:39 AM
So there's absolutely no way Sony could ever get a Gears of War type IP(even though its rumored as well), but you all believe this will drop multi-platform(based on rumors). :confused:

I think where the shining $ is concerned - there's a good chance of both.

I remember years ago when they said Sonic would never appear on a Nintendo console no matter what........

Antares
Jul 23, 2007, 01:08 PM
I think where the shining $ is concerned - there's a good chance of both.

I remember years ago when they said Sonic would never appear on a Nintendo console no matter what........

Yep, that's a common theme that's been echoed for a while now. 3rd party exclusives will be happening less and less. Most will probably end up just being timed exclusives. There's much more money to be had in multi-platform releases now.

Oh, and MacRumorUser, did anyone ever mention that that picture in your avatar looks a bit like Matt Cassamasina from IGN?

Dagless
Jul 23, 2007, 01:12 PM
Oh, and MacRumorUser, did anyone ever mention that that picture in your avatar looks a bit like Matt Cassamasina from IGN?

I'm not entirely sure why but the eyes remind me of the Ood.

http://blog.project76.tv/ood1.jpg

Chone
Jul 23, 2007, 02:09 PM

*shudders*

Those things look so frightening but on the plus side they remind me of the S'pht in Marathon for some reason.

MacRumorUser
Jul 23, 2007, 02:31 PM

In reality I'm more like a combo of the two ;)

Good job you didn't look at my profile pic then :D

Dagless
Jul 23, 2007, 02:31 PM
They're awesome as enemies in Doctor Who, just puppets being controlled by "satan" in an episode too reminiscent of Doom.

zero2dash
Jul 23, 2007, 04:51 PM

http://palgn.com.au/article.php?title=Gears+of+War+PS3+rumour+squashed&id=8276

Gears of War PS3 rumour squashed
"Complete nonsense."
Rumours have been flying fast and furious since 1UP's speculation on a number of podcasts that Epic Games had plans to extend the Gears of War franchise onto the PlayStation 3. Understandably, the comments made in the podcast created somewhat of a storm in a teacup, with many Xbox 360 fans rather unhappy with Epic's apparently lackadaisical approach to exclusivity.

However, Epic's Mark Rein recently contacted PSX Extreme to clarify the situation. In short? Bollocks.

Being blunt, Rein said that the rumour was "complete nonsense". Leaving no room for doubt, he added, "We've shot down this Gears of War on PS3 idea about a hundred times already - Microsoft is the publisher of Gears of War. Unless Microsoft wants to publish it on PS3 then it won't be published on PS3."

No Gears on Ps3. :D
case closed :p

MacRumorUser
Jul 23, 2007, 05:29 PM
No Gears on Ps3. :D
case closed :p

In fairness - even though its a third party developer (EPIC) the IP (Gears O War) remains owned by the publisner and therefore Epic are quite right. The only way it could be released on PS3 is if the publisher allows it to be so. It's as good as a first party title.

MGS4 on the otherhand is not published by Sony - it is still published by Konami, and so remains a third party IP, and can therefore still move with the tides if needs be.

Personally - didn't enjoy Gears - or any MGS games I've played.

Coded-Dude
Jul 23, 2007, 05:50 PM
I think Kojima has more pull than some are willing to admit.

He says he wants his character on WIi, and what happens.
He says he doesn't want MGS4 on anything but PS3, and what do you think is gonna happen?

I'm sure we'll see something from Kojima go multi-platform, or even 360 exclusive,
but hoping/assuming/pondering/thinking that MGS4 will go to the 360 is a wast of time - IMHO.

The only person, with clout, that has said anything remotely close to "MGS is going to 360" was Konami's head of US and European operations, Kazumi Kitaue.
Who said that even though Metal Gear Solid was born for PlayStation, and the firm would like to keep it that way, steps may have to be taken.
Although we know how adamant Kojima is against it.

They'd have to port the code, cut out a lot of content and/or lose quality(even if they decided to use multiple DVD's).
It would take a LOT longer than a few months.........
I wouldn't put it pass MS/Konami to have been in negotiations, but if it was for sure - you can bet your ass Peter Moore would have announced it at E3.

Rumors have been out since this game was announced, but nothing substantial has ever come from it....and until it does, I still say case close(because I highly doubt it ever will happen)

Of course I could be wrong, and this may be the reason Kojima is not doing another game
(politics are starting to creep back into it), but that is anyone's guess.

2nyRiggz
Jul 23, 2007, 07:36 PM
Personally - didn't enjoy Gears - or any MGS games I've played.

I can't say that I enjoyed Gears myself...it was very bland to me but it sure looked good. MGS is a different story..I love the series even if it goes too far out of reach.

I can't believe this is still going on here...MGS4 is an exclusive to PS3....and if it comes out a year later on the 360 who the hell cares...by that time the game will be worn out.

Bless

Dagless
Jul 23, 2007, 08:31 PM
I can't believe this is still going on here...MGS4 is an exclusive to PS3....and if it comes out a year later on the 360 who the hell cares...by that time the game will be worn out.

I've never understood that. How can a game get worn out if you've never played it?
I didn't play Yoshis Island till the GBA remake and it felt as fresh as a daisy...

2nyRiggz
Jul 23, 2007, 08:50 PM
^When I say that I'm refering to the game already being released and played by millions(even though PS3 install base is not as big as xbox owners..yet) The hype and everythihng has faded and all you got left is a port.

Bless

Dagless
Jul 23, 2007, 09:13 PM
I suppose, same could be said for Rainbow 6 and Oblivion on the PS3. Yet there will be people very excited to be playing them who missed the PC/360 versions.
And maybe it's me but I can build up my own hype :D my GBC will be here in a few days and I really can't wait for it. Probably just me. Yea. It's quite silly really.

zap2
Jul 23, 2007, 09:26 PM

Here Here! I fully agree....if your a MGS fan, you're going to want a PS3. Just like if you were a RE4 fan you wanted an NGC. Yea, the PS2 got it later, but by that time, everyone who loved the series had played it.

MacRumorUser
Jul 24, 2007, 03:56 AM
Here Here! I fully agree....if your a MGS fan, you're going to want a PS3. Just like if you were a RE4 fan you wanted an NGC. Yea, the PS2 got it later, but by that time, everyone who loved the series had played it.

True I guess because the fact it sold better on PS2 than it did on GC ;)

2nyRiggz
Jul 24, 2007, 05:23 AM
And on some other bright PS3 news....1.90 update is almost here and it looks to please(come on in game XMB)

Oh yeah, Heavenly Sword Demo this Thursday.....Looks like I'll be whooping some ancient arse that day.

Bless

MacRumorUser
Jul 24, 2007, 08:28 AM
And on some other bright PS3 news....1.90 update is almost here and it looks to please(come on in game XMB)

Oh yeah, Heavenly Sword Demo this Thursday.....Looks like I'll be whooping some ancient arse that day.

Bless

With proper dashboard photo customisation :) No more sickly yellow glowy thing for me.

:D

Demo on thursday - but I'm not expecting much other than a very generic slash em up. I dont think it's going to be as good as people hope, and pail against the quality of God Of War.

It's the one PS3 games that's been so hyped, but has never wowed me.... ever.....

And the new gameplay footage I saw where they were talking about how 1 cell is used on her hair :rolleyes: and yet in the footage it was like dried spagheti with as much fluidty as a 90 year old with prostate cancer.

So I will download, but I'm expecting rubbish.

SpankyPenzaanz
Jul 24, 2007, 10:10 AM
With proper dashboard photo customisation :) No more sickly yellow glowy thing for me.

:D

Demo on thursday - but I'm not expecting much other than a very generic slash em up. I dont think it's going to be as good as people hope, and pail against the quality of God Of War.

It's the one PS3 games that's been so hyped, but has never wowed me.... ever.....

And the new gameplay footage I saw where they were talking about how 1 cell is used on her hair :rolleyes: and yet in the footage it was like dried spagheti with as much fluidty as a 90 year old with prostate cancer.

So I will download, but I'm expecting rubbish.

One way to be impressed is to expect nothing

on a side note not a pretty image there:eek:

Coded-Dude
Jul 25, 2007, 03:02 PM
futher confirmation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFYmrz4XoP0) :p

2nyRiggz
Jul 25, 2007, 07:01 PM
^He he....priceless.

Bless

Dagless
Jul 25, 2007, 07:13 PM
Can anyone with half a brain please explain why MGS4 won't fit on a DVD9? The graphics (textures and low poly- check out the angular wheels ftw) are subpar compared to some PC and 360 games I've seen (Crysis, Episode 2, Gears of War...). Am I missing something? I'm racking my brains and asking around all the console dev teams I'm in contact with and they just don't know. All they can think of is HD video, are they still doing that in 2007/8?

There's an industry lol at Factor 5's claims of every Lair level taking up 4gb :D these guys must be terrible coders.

michaelltd
Jul 25, 2007, 07:15 PM
Can anyone with half a brain please explain why MGS4 won't fit on a DVD9? The graphics (textures and low poly- check out the angular wheels ftw) are subpar compared to some PC and 360 games I've seen (Crysis, Episode 2, Gears of War...). Am I missing something? I'm racking my brains and asking around all the console dev teams I'm in contact with and they just don't know. All they can think of is HD video, are they still doing that in 2007/8?

A hell of a lot of audio? *shrugs*

I recall MGS2 and MGS3 having a lot of codec/radio calls, but then again, those games are on DVDs.. so..

Dagless
Jul 25, 2007, 07:23 PM
Codec scenes would be mono, voices are always mono they're just placed around in an environment to give the surround effect. They could fill a DVD with years of vocal mono audio.

michaelltd
Jul 25, 2007, 07:30 PM
Well, it wouldn't be HD video. Kojima only uses very very very little FMV in MGS games.

So, really, I don't know.

GFLPraxis
Jul 25, 2007, 07:48 PM

There's an industry lol at Factor 5's claims of every Lair level taking up 4gb :D these guys must be terrible coders.

It's mainly because Sony wants everyone making games for the PS3 to imply that it's impossible without the storage space.

Remember the "Oblivion will ship for 360 on four disks LOL" rumor?

MacRumorUser
Jul 26, 2007, 04:29 AM
It's mainly because Sony wants everyone making games for the PS3 to imply that it's impossible without the storage space.

Remember the "Oblivion will ship for 360 on four disks LOL" rumor?

Or how LAIR uses 9gb for 1 level :rolleyes:

So please can someone at Sony explain to me that

1) WARHAWK is a downloadable game, looks just as impressive as any other ps3 game, and yet when we know how vital BluRay media is, how is this possible ?
2) So if I do decide to plump for buying WARHAWK on a BluRay format, the only benefit is that it's got lots making of movies, when we all know that BluRay storage will not be used/filled with superfluous material like FMV - how this too is possible ?

:rolleyes:

BluRay and storage........ people need to get over it.
It is not as 'vital' as you would have us believe, and if it was then how come the only source it's coming from is seemingly Sony propaganda.

Dont get me wrong, I like BD movies - but I'm not a sucker - for games at this stage it's 'necessity' is utterly overblown.

At the end of the day the PS3 would have been just as good a 'GAMES CONSOLE' without BD support, it would have been $150-200 cheaper at retail, and would be selling a damn site more units than it currently is now.....

As it stands cost is the most detrimental factor to PS3, BluRay is the biggest culprit and should Sony not manage to regain momentum (because even with the inevitable Price cuts, you have to remember 360 & Wii will both see those come Christmas too - it could always be playing the chasing game...

Yes people are waiting for the big name games to sell units and undoubably this will help... But do you not think when games like Mario Galaxy, or Halo 3 come out that the other two manufactures are going to see just an equal serge in sales ?

If HiDef movies are such a system seller, please tell me why 360 and Wii (especially the wii) are consistantly outselling it...

Simple... GAMERS & PEEPS IN GENERAL DONT CARE....

Dagless
Jul 26, 2007, 08:33 AM
Or how LAIR uses 9gb for 1 level :rolleyes:

It's almost as if the Kutagari virus is spreading.
See where these studios probably get a pat on the back for talking nice about consoles, they lose a lot of respect from the industry. I don't even know why they bother with comments like that.
-Devs know it's pure BS.
-General Public and its army don't care.

Who's left? Folks on forums it seems.

MGS4; .PSD's for textures and needless, lossless surround sound codec conversations, uncompressed HD video confirmed.

2nyRiggz
Jul 26, 2007, 08:59 AM
I'm going to tell everyone how it is just to kill this once and for all...
The Cell has life of its own and it needs to have a large capacity storage to space out and do its thang and....I don't freaking know but we've discussed this before and lets just put it to a rest shall we...

The link the coded one put up was a joke....lets leave it that way ok.

Bless

Haoshiro
Jul 27, 2007, 02:52 PM
So they finally showed MGS4 gameplay footage (http://www.gametrailers.com/game/1743.html) and it just left me wondering what happened to Kojima?

Snake Eater just looked great, and MGS1 basically defined a genre - and a system.

What I'm seeing in MGS4 makes me not even care about it anymore. I've hoped it would come to 360 because I was really interested in it, and didn't want to buy a PS3 for it. Now I'm thinking, who really wants this?

It looked and felt clunky, like a PS1/PS2 game that get some updated graphics. It doesn't look smooth or have the gameplay polish of it's nearest competitor - Splinter Cell.

Look at that camo suit, what the heck... it can copy a texture and put it on Snake? Nice... look at him laying on that floor with a floor texture on his body - he is so ridiculously visible. Same for when he is up against a wall.

And look at him with that RPG, standing out there in the middle of gun fire, taking his time to aim at the guy on the top of the building. Nice.

"We can now hide in a barrel" - wow, nice feature.

"If you roll around he throws up" - umm, okay... great.

"You can look at a men's magazine to help your health!" - amazing, Snake is in the middle of a battlefield and after rolling around in a barrel and getting sick, he'll take a break to look at some ladies in a magazine... you know... spread it out on the war-torn ground and goggle at the girlies. Revolutionary, man... Kojima obviously needs a new franchise - maybe a new career.

Seriously, this game went from "incredible" to "incredibly dumb" in about 5-10 minutes.

I wonder how well this will really sell when more people see more of it... :rolleyes:

2nyRiggz
Jul 27, 2007, 03:40 PM
It has been seen by alot of people yet they still want it...I still want it.

You sound really angry....whats your real beef with this game?

Bless

e˛Studios
Jul 27, 2007, 03:46 PM
It has been seen by alot of people yet they still want it...I still want it.

You sound really angry....whats your real beef with this game?

Bless

He is a staunch Xbot that hates Sony as much as Jimmi, thats his beef. Though neither of them will ever admit to it ;)

Ed

Coded-Dude
Jul 27, 2007, 03:48 PM
Wow, another "PS3 game looks horrible" thread by Haoshiro. :rolleyes:
This game has alway been about the story......if that doesn't interest you, then don't buy it.
(pretty simple)

*waits for the next "PS3 game looks horrible" thread*

zap2
Jul 27, 2007, 04:40 PM
2nyRiggz, Coded-Dude and Ed H......come on. Its possible that people are dissapointed with MGS4. And that has nothing to do with PS3...I know, hard to believe in.

From what I've seen, Snake is sick, and looking a magazines heals him? That sounds stupid to me.

I don't think that people on this forum, are always out to point that "X" system is bad...maybe I'm just out of the loop.

2nyRiggz
Jul 27, 2007, 04:49 PM
Zap, I'm not trying to get on him for it being a PS3 title(although if it was a 360 title I don't think he would push it this hard)....Things that are in this game have been in past MGS games...I just don't get it.

Some of the things he is pointing out are just plain old nitpicking and thats fine but we have a MGS4 thread already...I don't think this warrants another one where we will discuss exactly the same thing.

All this will do is start another stupid thread about PS3 VS 360....its rather nuts.

Bless

Haoshiro
Jul 27, 2007, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I noticed one of my older threads (re: Socom) has been getting replies lately... and I'm adding another "disappointed in this PS3 game" thread. But oh well. This isn't even the same, I was criticizing the released screenshots. MGS4 looks pretty darn good, my complaints are for the game itself, and specifically the demonstration of it being played.

I said in the OT, I was looking forward to this game and it was definitely something I personally considered a AAA title that I'd like to have.

I may not have wanted to buy a PS3 for, but that doesn't mean it's not "about the games".

I expected more, evidentally the few of you that responded have low expectations already.

Come on people, all you can do is complain about who is posting rather then make a real response?

I brought up points you're not even willing to mention, I honestly expected better content in your posts - even if you all are often labelled "SDF"

Yeah, I'm pretty annoyed the live demo of MGS4, a game I had high hopes for, was so ridiculously stupid. That is pretty frustrating, I've always liked MGS.

e˛Studios
Jul 27, 2007, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I noticed one of my older threads (re: Socom) has been getting replies lately... and I'm adding another "disappointed in this PS3 game" thread. But oh well. This isn't even the same, I was criticizing the released screenshots. MGS4 looks pretty darn good, my complaints are for the game itself, and specifically the demonstration of it being played.

I said in the OT, I was looking forward to this game and it was definitely something I personally considered a AAA title that I'd like to have.

I may not have wanted to buy a PS3 for, but that doesn't mean it's not "about the games".

I expected more, evidentally the few of you that responded have low expectations already.

Come on people, all you can do is complain about who is posting rather then make a real response?

I brought up points you're not even willing to mention, I honestly expected better content in your posts - even if you all are often labelled "SDF"

Yeah, I'm pretty annoyed the live demo of MGS4, a game I had high hopes for, was so ridiculously stupid. That is pretty frustrating, I've always liked MGS.

Yeah man, MGS4 suddenly went from being the most desired PS3 exclusive to be ported to 360 to "This sucks, who could possibly want this?" :rolleyes:

No wonder you are bitter... Your points are asinine thats why you aren't getting much response. It's easy to nit pick any game and make it seem as bad as you want it to in your own little Wii60 worlds.

Ed

Haoshiro
Jul 27, 2007, 04:59 PM
Zap, I'm not trying to get on him for it being a PS3 title(although if it was a 360 title I don't think he would push it this hard)....Things that are in this game have been in past MGS games...I just don't get it.

Some of the things he is pointing out are just plain old nitpicking and thats fine but we have a MGS4 thread already...I don't think this warrants another one where we will discuss exactly the same thing.

All this will do is start another stupid thread about PS3 VS 360....its rather nuts.

Yes, I would complain the same. That, in fact, is one of the main points. I really wanted this to come to 360.

My thread is about the Live Demonstration, showing the gameplay, and wondering what the heck other people's reactions are to it.

I'm peeved that it hasn't seemed to evolve, and instead they are "showing off" stupid little things.

"Next-Gen" is more and more about immersion, and the last thing I was able to do watching that demo was be "immersed".

If you think it was all great, fine, say so. Have a good counter to my complaints? Post it.

If you are just going to complain about "me", don't reply :P :rolleyes:

Haoshiro
Jul 27, 2007, 05:01 PM
2nyRiggz, Coded-Dude and Ed H......come on. Its possible that people are dissapointed with MGS4. And that has nothing to do with PS3...I know, hard to believe in.

From what I've seen, Snake is sick, and looking a magazines heals him? That sounds stupid to me.

I don't think that people on this forum, are always out to point that "X" system is bad...maybe I'm just out of the loop.

Spot On, thanks.

Dagless
Jul 27, 2007, 05:02 PM
I was very impressed with that first trailer, the "this is MGS" one.

I'm very dissapointed with the newest one. That's if it's the same one they have rolling in Gamestations on the PS3 display unit. All I saw was some kind of semi-sephia transparency over the lens, with ultra block textures (I've seen Dreamcast games that have smoother looking wheels).

I was impressed by the facial features but everything else looked like an upscaled PS2 game.

Always thought that MGS4 would be the game to show off the PS3 hardware too.

I sit in absolute disbelief that this game can't fit on a DVD with textures that bad.

Haoshiro
Jul 27, 2007, 05:03 PM
:rolleyes:

No wonder you are bitter... Your points are asinine thats why you aren't getting much response. It's easy to nit pick any game and make it seem as bad as you want it to in your own little Wii60 worlds.

Ed

Oh really? Did you even watch the demonstration?

I pretty much talked about nearly every point shown off in the demo. If these are "nit picks", then why did they specifically call them out and detail them?

This is the first showing off of the game, and you're trying to tell me I should ignore the majority of what they talked about because I would be "nit picking"? Don't be silly :P

Coded-Dude
Jul 27, 2007, 05:08 PM
15 minutes of game-play(from an alpha demo) for an IP that won't be out for another 8-9 months.
yeah.....lets base the final product on that. :rolleyes:

Seriously, this game went from "incredible" to "incredibly dumb" in about 5-10 minutes.

I would be curious to see what the effects would be if I started nit picking every little nuance in games I never had an interest in from the start either.
The game has always been exclusive I guess some people are just in denial. If you can't appreciate Hideo's game/story delivery(There has always has been subtle humor in the way Hideo develops the game/gameplay. ), thats fine, you are entitled to your opinion....but its been the same throughout the series. Why bash it now like this is new? The above statement is not necessary and will only invite the kind of comments that were posted above.

How about the electric shock knife, or the real-time battle going on all around you that never ends the same, or the ability to change a battle your self by making allies with a certain side. Oh, and I'd guess you'd prefer to walk around in a box the whole time(instead of rollong enemies of in a barrel). Dynamically cast lighting, Just as many polygons in Snake's mustache as there were in an entire enemy in MGS3. Realistic dust/smoke. Bullets kicking up dirt trails as they race across the ground. Fully controllable camera. Jump into a diving roll, etc. etc. etc. I could give you hundreds of reasons why this exclusive IP is goign to be one of the best selling games of this gen, but would it really matter. You've already dismissed it.

They showed of some of the NEW features........though I am sure there are mcuh more. But like I said teh story has always been about the gameplay/story(not graphics - which are stellar).

Dagless
Jul 27, 2007, 05:13 PM
So they're reducing the number of polygons for important things like wheels and barrels by making a very detailed mustache?

Coded-Dude
Jul 27, 2007, 05:15 PM
keep dismissing and complaining jimmi.....I know you really wanted this title.
(it was in regards to the level of detail that went into the character you will be comanding throughout the game)

Who really cares about a barrell you'll only see a few times.:rolleyes:

Haoshiro
Jul 27, 2007, 05:19 PM
15 minutes of game-play(from an alpha demo) for an IP that won't be out for another 8-9 months.

I would be curious to see what the effects would be if I started nit picking every little nuance in games I never had an interest in from the start either.
The game has always been exclusive I guess some people are just in denial. If you can't appreciate Hideo's game/story delivery(There has always has been subtle humor in the way Hideo develops the game/gameplay. ), thats fine, you are entitled to your opinion....but its been the same throughout the series. Why bash it now like this is new? The above statement is not necessary and will only invite the kind of comments that were posted above.

How about the electric shock knife, or the real-time battle going on all around you that never ends the same, or the ability to change a battle your self by making allies with a certain side. Oh, and I'd guess you'd prefer to walk around in a box the whole time(instead of rollong enemies of in a barrel). Dynamically cast lighting, Just as many polygons in Snake's mustache as there were in an entire enemy in MGS3. Realistic dust/smoke. Bullets kicking up dirt trails as they race across the ground. Fully controllable camera. Jump into a diving roll, etc. etc. etc. I could give you hundreds of reasons why this exclusive IP is goign to be one of the best selling games of this gen, but would it really matter. You've already dismissed it.

This was a gameplay demonstration, they were showing off the game. Yeah, you can expect official demos like this to be a base for opinion.

Like I said, the graphics were good.

But don't complain because it's always "been this way"? That's why a lot of people complain. Imagine if Mario platformers had not evolved from SMB. Or if MGS games were only visually better then the old Metal Gear games.

I'm looking for improved controls, not Tomb Raider syndrome ("well we did it like this in TR1, we'll do it in every other TR game too") - AND refined gameplay and immersion. Better presentation *during* gameplay (not just cutscenes). True innovations and evolution *leaps* - not baby steps.

A lot of the things you mention are just standard fare these days. Dynamic lighting and shadows, high poly counts, Dust/smoke, bullets kicking up dirt, fully controllable camera. I've played plenty of games where you could jump and dive, why should that impress me? Because all this is finally in an MGS game?

Sure, story and events could be great. Maybe he should make movies, not games.

I didn't complain about knifing someone, or the controllable Metal Gear, or the graphics. Clunky animation, unbelievable "hiding" mechanics, and focusing on barrels and magazines as health... man.

And no, I'd rather not run around in a box either. That wasn't the best idea ever, and changing it to a barrel doesn't make it better.

Dagless
Jul 27, 2007, 05:21 PM
keep dismissing and complaining jimmi.....I know you really wanted this title.

You fail at reading people it seems. My MGS collection consists of MGS1 and Twin Snakes, after the dogs breakfast they made of 2 and by 3 (which hasn't evolved much from MGS1) we had a better tactical espionage action game in the form of Splinter Cell which does seem to evolve at a better pace.

So the FPS MGS video wasn't real time after all? I'm doubting that now.

zap2
Jul 27, 2007, 05:58 PM

True...graphics should be judged much until release. Maybe "oohh, that looks bad, but they'll have time to improve it", or "wow, thats amaazing, and it still has a while until launch"

Osarkon
Jul 27, 2007, 06:03 PM
Well I for one was quite impressed with the demonstration. Yes, the comic idea for healing is a bit daft, but overall it looked impressive to me.

Mind you I'm not prepared to buy a PS3 just yet, and if I ever do end up buying one MGS4 will be a platinum release by then, but it still looks like a very solid game.

michaelltd
Jul 27, 2007, 08:07 PM
Those little things are silly and rediculous, but that's part of MGS.

They had a freakin' guy that could pee on you in MGS2 after all.

EDIT: I do want to point out that I do love MGS and my comment just above this is not meant to be negative. I do enjoy those silly things. It's part of MGS's charm. :)

applekid
Jul 28, 2007, 12:53 AM
One minute everybody is saying MGS4 will be on the 360, next minute they're expressing their hate for the game. Huh?!

MGS has always been known for tongue-in-cheek humor.

Nothing beats MGS3 as far as the story goes. I think it's just ingenious what The Boss told Naked Snake and very relevant to the times. MGS4 without doubt commentary about the world now and the future. Chaos in the Middle East? Private military companies? War economy? Sounds familiar...

The only complaints I have about the graphics are jaggies I see in some of the shadows and the character models. I'm watching the HD gameplay demo where the van blow-up, and I see tires that looks perfectly round to me... Character animations could use a few extra frames here and there, not that Splinter Cell was smooth as butter either. I enjoyed Double Agent, but it felt clunkier than MGS. Compared to a game like Gears of War which is supposedly the best looking game out there right now, Metal Gear Solid 4 looks comparable and better in most places.

Silly fanboys, you're all complaining just because it's on the PS3. MGS hasn't changed.

michaelltd
Jul 28, 2007, 02:35 AM
On the note of silly things, Johnny better be in it as well as his... problem. :D

BoyBach
Jul 28, 2007, 06:15 AM
I've just finished watching the in-game video and I think it looks a pretty intense experience.

However, I do not like the stop-start nature of using those menus to select weapons, camouflage etc. For me, it kind of spoils the 'flow'.

applekid
Jul 28, 2007, 09:16 AM
I've just finished watching the in-game video and I think it looks a pretty intense experience.

However, I do not like the stop-start nature of using those menus to select weapons, camouflage etc. For me, it kind of spoils the 'flow'.

I hear you. Although the menu loads instantaneously now, at least. In MGS3, it took a moment for the menu to pop up, which killed the flow for sure.

fishkorp
Aug 5, 2007, 11:49 AM
apparently HMV is taking pre-orders for the 360 version of MGS4...so....

Here we go again. The latest 'MGS4-going-multi-platform' rumour is interesting for two reasons. Mega entertainment retailer HMV is taking pre-orders for the 360 version right now and the firm even dates both version of the game.

Metal Gear Solid 4 will apparently be available from April 18, 2008 on PlayStation 3 only according to the listing. Then, just over five months later, the Xbox 360 will be blessed with Solid Snake's presence on September 26 (one year exactly after the launch of Halo 3, trivia fans).

progx
Aug 6, 2007, 10:25 PM
Metal Gear Solid 4 for the Xbox 360?

Damn. It would definitely be probably less than an eighth of what the game is for the PS3. The 360s DVD's couldn't hold all that data.

Wow. Metal Gear Solid Episodes. If you don't have Xbox Live, you're screwed. Haha.

And Metal Gear Solid 2 will be announced for the Wii. With Metal Gear Solid 3 following next year.

zero2dash
Aug 7, 2007, 12:25 AM
Metal Gear Solid 4 for the Xbox 360?

Damn. It would definitely be probably less than an eighth of what the game is for the PS3. The 360s DVD's couldn't hold all that data.

I bet you'd be surprised once you see how large the game actually is, compared to the BS binary data padding job they do on the BD-ROM.

Whoops...didn't mean to spoil your biased tirade there.

And Metal Gear Solid 2 will be announced for the Wii. With Metal Gear Solid 3 following next year.

Whew, that's good news. Considering that both were created on the DVD format, so, you know, they won't have to cut anything out. After all, with all that space on BluRay, well, it has no substitute when porting games designed for it. :rolleyes:

Cranberry24
Jun 22, 2008, 11:20 AM
...because swapping discs is so horrendously bad and ruins the experience, doesn't it? :p

LOL :rolleyes:
whatever helps you sleep at night, knowing that the Ps3 is closer to losing another exclusive ;)

You haven't played MGS4 apparently, should I point out a quote from the game to you? Yeahh, I think I should :D

Otacon:
"Ok snake, time to switch the disc! Look for a disc labeled "disc 2"

Snake:
"What?"

Otacon:
"You need to look for disc 2!"

Snake:
"What are you talking about?"

Otacon:
"Oh wait! We're on the PS3! No need for swapping discs!"

Blablabla.

LOL, even the producers make fun of non-bluray consoles :)

(Otacon says something in the lines of: Bluray, dual layered etc etc...)

Just couldn't keep that to myself :D

;)

zap2
Jun 22, 2008, 11:23 AM
You haven't played MGS4 apparently, should I point out a quote from the game to you? Yeahh, I think I should :D

Otacon:

Snake:
"What?"

Otacon:

Snake:

Otacon:

Blablabla.

;)

Yea, shockingly enough a quote from 2007 involves people who never played MGS4 at that time....who would have thought!

Edit- Who comes to a Mac site to troll about video games?

Dagless
Jun 22, 2008, 11:30 AM
Yea, shockingly enough a quote from 2007 involves people who never played MGS4 at that time....who would have thought!

That wasn't his first post was it?

Oh, it was!

Did they sell the 2 million in a day (or whatever they claimed)?

Cranberry24
Jun 22, 2008, 12:24 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyaPRQ8sKFw

Dagless
Jun 22, 2008, 02:12 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyaPRQ8sKFw

"What will they think of next?"

Rumbling controllers that don't interfere with BT radios? Systems that sell? Exclusive AAA titles that get more than 90%? 10 minute game installs before each act? Dual 1080p60 120fps 4D graphics?

I dunno, what will they think of next? :D

michaelltd
Jun 22, 2008, 09:49 PM

Otacon:

Snake:
"What?"

Otacon:

Snake:

Otacon:

Blablabla.

;)

They also later make fun of the lack of rumble much later if you're using a SIXAXIS. :D ;)

michaelltd
Jun 22, 2008, 09:51 PM
10 minute game installs before each act?

About 10 minutes only for the beginning. Three to Five minutes between Acts.

Cranberry24
Jun 23, 2008, 07:43 AM
"What will they think of next?"

Rumbling controllers that don't interfere with BT radios? Systems that sell? Exclusive AAA titles that get more than 90%? 10 minute game installs before each act? Dual 1080p60 120fps 4D graphics?

I dunno, what will they think of next? :D

If you've played MGS4, which you have not, you'd know it's an AAA title with more than 90%... You're one of those who has studied phrases out of his head like: "We have GOW and Halo and other pieces of sci-fi crap that nobody cares about!", right?

Whats an owner of microsoft garbage doing on a mac forum anyways... I'd buy MGS4 just because Otacon uses my MBP in it, not to mention for the amazing story, and basically everything a gamer that likes the genre wishes for in a game.

Oh, and I don't miss the rumble feature, maybe your girlfriends have needs that you guys can't fulfill, so she needs the rumble feature in a controller, mine doesn't, and I'm glad with my wireless & precise controller, without rumble :D
(No need to take everything serious though, it's the internetz!)

Dagless
Jun 23, 2008, 08:00 AM
I wasn't being serious, hence the jokey message :rolleyes:

And way to miss the mark completely. I'd go over how wrong pretty much all of your post was but I'm trying to unlock the Pyro achievements and my HL2.exe just crashed.

Btw, isn't Metal Gear sci-fi? What with the crazy tech they have in there, reminds me of earthbound Who episodes. Walking tanks, nano enhanced soldiers, invisibility suits, bionic ninjas...

MacRumorUser
Jun 23, 2008, 08:19 AM
If you've played MGS4, which you have not, you'd know it's an AAA title with more than 90%... You're one of those who has studied phrases out of his head like: "We have GOW and Halo and other pieces of sci-fi crap that nobody cares about!", right?

Whats an owner of microsoft garbage doing on a mac forum anyways... I'd buy MGS4 just because Otacon uses my MBP in it, not to mention for the amazing story, and basically everything a gamer that likes the genre wishes for in a game.

Oh, and I don't miss the rumble feature, maybe your girlfriends have needs that you guys can't fulfill, so she needs the rumble feature in a controller, mine doesn't, and I'm glad with my wireless & precise controller, without rumble :D

What a silly tirade!

You have to be one of the most juvenile posters that has been on MacRumors in a long time. You make fleeting assumptions on people and your arguments hold absolutely no validity to any rational thought process.

If you plan on hanging around on the MacRumors Forum, then I only hope that you adapt, grow up and begin to think before you type.

GFLPraxis
Jun 23, 2008, 11:53 AM
You know, I bet this thread has some great old quotes. Let's see what a brief lookthrough finds.

There's even a few amusing old arguments from me, though I never really take a side either way. Everyone who keeps insulting Ed just looks funny though.

And that's a fact!

Oh come on. It's too obvious it's coming to either the 360 or the PC. Always has done.

How on earth do Konami hope to make a profit on MGS4 if it's being released on just 1, 3rd place console?

MacRumorUser
Jun 24, 2008, 08:13 AM
^ Very funny history quotes indeed.

Either way, I won't be buying it for either format.

^ LOL!!! The only real boob I made in this thread. :D Of course I ended up buying it. :):p:)

Chone
Jun 24, 2008, 12:18 PM

Don't be mac elitist please, they are among the worst (and most immature) kind of people.

And yeah, MacRumors is not GameFAQs, I love this forum because the community is great, don't poison it with your silly posts.

Cranberry24
Jun 24, 2008, 12:49 PM

You guys obviously missed the part where I made it clear that I was joking! (No need to take everything serious?)

Don't feel like discussing this any longer, as all of the sudden I'm a mac elitist and what not (after just a few posts, of which only one contained the word microsoft).

(How can you call me an elitist anyway? I said Microsoft-crap, yeah, I think microsoft is crap, you should know that I've been on a regular laptop for some 5 years, until I recently switched to mac, and I have had NOTHING but trouble with microsoft, but does that make me a mac elitist? No, just a microsoft hater :) )

Oh yeah, theres a PS3 in MGS4, and snake uses a PS3 controller to control the MK.II, how's that going to work out on xbox 360 :D

Antares
Jun 24, 2008, 02:28 PM
Metal Gear Solid 4 on Wii would be interesting.....not that it's ever going to happen, but I wonder how the game would look on the Wii.....

Dagless
Jun 24, 2008, 02:54 PM
Metal Gear Solid 4 on Wii would be interesting.....not that it's ever going to happen, but I wonder how the game would look on the Wii.....

Somewhere between MGS3 and 4 with compression given the systems specs...

GFLPraxis
Jun 24, 2008, 04:06 PM
You guys obviously missed the part where I made it clear that I was joking! (No need to take everything serious?)

Don't feel like discussing this any longer, as all of the sudden I'm a mac elitist and what not (after just a few posts, of which only one contained the word microsoft).

(How can you call me an elitist anyway? I said Microsoft-crap, yeah, I think microsoft is crap, you should know that I've been on a regular laptop for some 5 years, until I recently switched to mac, and I have had NOTHING but trouble with microsoft, but does that make me a mac elitist? No, just a microsoft hater :) )

Oh yeah, theres a PS3 in MGS4, and snake uses a PS3 controller to control the MK.II, how's that going to work out on xbox 360 :D

The way your post was written sounded like only the last statement (about girlfriends) was in jest, not the entire post. Sorry for any confusion :)

As for the elitist statement, some people get annoyed because some Mac users go overboard. Personally, I use a Microsoft mouse on my Mac. Some people would give me a ten page rant on why I'm stupid for doing that because it's a Microsoft product and thus sucks. A lot of people like the XBox and it can't be dismissed just because of the branding on the box.

However, I CAN dismiss it because it has shoddy build quality and I hate console FPS and sports games and the system doesn't offer any variety outside of that. So eat it XBox fans. :P

Dagless
Jun 24, 2008, 05:21 PM
Barring a couple of clicking issues I hearts my Microsoft/Razer mouse but I also hate console FPS. I also don't like paying to play games online, so eat that too Xbox fans too if you have enough room in your stomach that is harhar!

pcypert
Jun 24, 2008, 10:18 PM
Put me down in the microsoft mouse on my mac camp. Just wish the side to side scroll thingy moved quicker. It's ghastly red and clashes so much with my beautiful macbook pro :D

I love looking at what all everyone said building up to this. Great job!

Paul

Cranberry24
Jun 25, 2008, 07:24 AM
I broke a MS mouse once, nothing special though, standard two clicks and a scroll wheel... Using a logitech G5 now, when I use a mouse that is, for graphic work I often use my tablet, for the rest I'm happy with my touchpad thingy...