PDA

View Full Version : Ordered ny First Mac! 1.6 G5


adamfilip
Jul 21, 2003, 02:24 PM
Okay i cant wait i just placed my order for my first Mac through the Canadian source for the apple student developer.

im a heavy PC user and cant wait to switch! over
i also ordered an isight. with the new 1.6ghz G5

unfortunately im guessing it will be around the end of Sep before i get this thing

cause the order guy said there are 200! orders in front of mine.
and they arent shipping yet.

either way i cant wait.. glad to officially join the mac community.! finally!

cc bcc
Jul 21, 2003, 02:44 PM
I also just ordered a 1.8 G5+ati 9800 pro, although it isn't my first mac. I'm still excited though!

Congratulations to us both! :D

job
Jul 21, 2003, 02:48 PM
Congrats. :)

I envy you. ;)

daveL
Jul 22, 2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by adamfilip
Okay i cant wait i just placed my order for my first Mac through the Canadian source for the apple student developer.

im a heavy PC user and cant wait to switch! over
i also ordered an isight. with the new 1.6ghz G5

unfortunately im guessing it will be around the end of Sep before i get this thing

cause the order guy said there are 200! orders in front of mine.
and they arent shipping yet.

either way i cant wait.. glad to officially join the mac community.! finally!
I checked deliver dates at the Apple Store on the 18th and they were showing 4 - 6 weeks for the single CPU G5s and 7 - 10 weeks for the duals. You may still see it by the end of August.

I haven't ordered yet. I want to make sure I can get another consulting gig going this year before I commit. I figure playing around with the Panther Betas will keep me off the street until then :-)

Abstract
Jul 22, 2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by adamfilip
Okay i cant wait i just placed my order for my first Mac through the Canadian source for the apple student developer.


How much did the Apple Student Developer membership cost you, and how much did you end up saving? :confused: I want purchase a 12" iBook or PB, or maybe a 15" PB. Not sure yet.

adamfilip
Jul 22, 2003, 09:47 PM
okay well if i didnt sign up as a student dev

the system and Isight would be $3018 plus tax so.. $3470. Canadian

i ended up paying $2783 with tax.. but not incl the $150 to sign up for as a dev..

so i saved $537

not bad and i get some resources cause of the developer..

can i buy the panther beta?

Jerry Spoon
Jul 22, 2003, 10:20 PM
Welcome to the club. We'll teach you the secret handshake later.;)

FredAkbar
Jul 22, 2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by adamfilip
can i buy the panther beta?

No, if you have signed up with Apple with the developer thing, then you might get a Dev Panther Seed or something. Otherwise, you just have to wait until the full version comes out, or else download it illegally.

benixau
Jul 22, 2003, 10:58 PM
tich tich tich - suggesting he use illegal software - not on these forums.

pseudobrit
Jul 22, 2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by benixau
tich tich tich - suggesting he use illegal software - not on these forums.

It's only illegal to share it, not to download it. Afterall, it's not for sale.

Nebrie
Jul 23, 2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by pseudobrit
It's only illegal to share it, not to download it. Afterall, it's not for sale.

PS, the $10 law classes are much better than the $5 ones.

daveL
Jul 23, 2003, 12:06 PM
No, you can't buy it. I received the CDs in my July Dev mailing. I expect a newer beta in the August mailing, which should go out the end of this week or early next week. I've heard Apple does not plan on putting the images up for download on the ADC site.

The one I received in the July mailing was the same one distributed at WWDC.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 23, 2003, 12:37 PM
i have a few questions about student discounts.
how old or what grade do you have to be in?
does it only apply to certain products?

thanks for any help:)

adamfilip
Jul 23, 2003, 04:36 PM
I believe its only available for Post Secondary students. ie.. college, universities

in canada its handled throught a 3rd party.. and they have a price list with 95% of the hardware products.. no software

in the states.. its just like the apple store

bennetsaysargh
Jul 23, 2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by adamfilip
I believe its only available for Post Secondary students. ie.. college, universities

in canada its handled throught a 3rd party.. and they have a price list with 95% of the hardware products.. no software

in the states.. its just like the apple store

argh.
thanks:)