Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geoff Myers

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2007
I've got a 350 MHz Power Mac G4 "Sawtooth" lying around and I'm wondering what I should so with it. It only has a 10 GB hard drive and Rage 128 Pro graphics. I thought about turning it into some sort of server, but I already have a computer doing all the "serving" I need. Any ideas?

Gav

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2007
Oooh. Turn it into a supercomputer :D

Dual 1.8Ghz G4s
Super Drive
2GB RAM
Dual 120GB Hard Drives (More if you put a SATA PCI Card in)
Radeon 9800 Graphics

:D

NJuul

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2006
Boston
I think the only real use for it is as a file server. Unless you are willing to spend a lot of bucks upgrading an otherwise obsolete machine. Of course if you already have a fileserver, you can sell it or donate it to someone else. The problem about these old powermacs, great as they are (have a 400 mhz myself, still running after 7 years), is that they are so damn loud! And they take up quite a lot space as well.

Doraemon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2001
Europe (EU)
I have just recently upgraded a G4/400. I added RAM (now 768 MB), a second HDD (now 1x 10 GB and 1x 40GB), added CD-RW/DVD-combo drive, replaced the PRAM battery and finally replaced the ATI Rage by a Radeon 8500. Oh, and it's running OS X 10.4.10.
It serves just fine as a MS Office/Internet machine. I was amazed how well it handles OS X 10.4. Before it was running MacOS 9.0.4, but really, as long as you don't try to do heavy computing with it, it really still is a decent computer.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
It can do so much, don't under estimate those old machines. Just set it up in a different room than your main computer so you can use it to add most computer uses to that room. I'm just bought a B&W G3 (for $10) that I'm gonna setup in my bedroom and network to my main computer so I can do computer stuff in my bedroom, such as light web surfing (i.e. everything besides myspace and youtube), word processing, iTunes mp3 player playing the songs on my main computer over the network, NES emulator games, torrent download station, possibly DVD playing, etc etc etc. There are SO many uses for these old machines that the question should really be, what can't you do with it?

l'homme

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2006
-selling it in parts could be the more profitable option
-buy an infrared receiver/controller and use it as a jukebox
-use it as a test drive machine to fellows that want to make the switch.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I'd LOVE to have such computer.
- As said before, torrent download/upload/music. Use the existing HD for system and put a new one in it. My MacBook Pro just hasn't enough HD space for this
- Folding would be a good idea too.
- If noise is a concern, and you live in a big house, you can always put the computer in another room, and run cables for the screen/keyboard/mouse You'd have the most silent computer ever! The company I used to work for had done this and it was a pleasure to work with this computer (except for the fact that it was Windows NT 4.0). You can also use wireless keyboard and mouse.
- You can also use it as a backup, depending on your needs. Always good to have another copy of your valuable data in another room.
- Give it to someone who needs it.

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
since you obviously dont really need another computer, why not do something fun with like like putting it next to the TV as a media drop box. if you use pacifist you can put front row on there and just stream from your other computers.

on a more realistic note, you should just part it out and sell it that way. maybe even put your pc in the powermac case for good measure;)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
no offense or anything, but i wouldnt expect someone with a mbp to be "needy"

:p

hhmmm good point i suppose. i did save up 3 years for it. lucky dad gets a small discount and could salary sacrafice or wateva its called, saved me heeps

BTW: wats the diff between the g3 400mhz and g4 400mhz????? (besides the obvious

awmazz

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2007
Buy an EyeTV firewire unit (with remote control) and a 24" LCD screen and use it as a high definition television! You may need to upgrade the graphics card if you do though. And also maybe a SATA card and large drive or two to store all the shows you'll be 'Tivo-ing".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.