Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacOSXHints publishes a tip about using iPhone's Google Maps to find Wifi spots in your area.
So, let's say that I'm in a neighborhood that I'm not familiar with. I ask somebody nearby what the local zip code is (let's say, 92116), and then I go to the Maps widget on my iPhone. I type in wifi 92116 and then hit Search. Up will pop up a whole array of (usually) free wireless networks -- coffee shops, libraries, book stores.

We previously posted a link to Jiwire which provides a similar service, and allows filtering by "Free" Wifi hotpots. Google's method appears to show both free and paid hotspots.

Article Link

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Very cool - and guess what zip code I live in? 92116 - how is that coincidence. Now I have to figure out who my neighbor is that has an iPhone too! (the zip code is a small area of San Diego) It should be noted that it actually brings up WiFI hot spots outside of the Zip searched too - it just brings up 10 total.

Also you can make bookmarks in Google of frequent wifi searches:)

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
This doesnt really pertain directly to this, but it pertaints to google maps, but is there a way to get rid of the ong name that hides parts of the map i wish to see?

Figured it out. Sorry, that was an easy one.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
You can also type

Wifi City, ST
(where ST is the state abbreviation)

Don't need to have the zipcode :)

You can also do other searches with the zip code...

for example

'92116 Sex' for some reason brings up the Catholic Girls School down the street from me LOL - must be an error LOL.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
You can also do other searches with the zip code...

for example

'92116 Sex' for some reason brings up the Catholic Girls School down the street from me LOL - must be an error LOL.

Must pertain to the fact that its all of the same sex? hahah

TitoC

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
You can also type

Wifi City, ST
(where ST is the state abbreviation)

Don't need to have the zipcode :)

Just remember, Google Maps only gives you TEN spots - no more, so only inputing the city and state limits which spots are revealed (I guess Google decides which ten spots to reveal). So, the more detailed info you give (i.e. zipcode as opposed to only the city and state) the more specific your end results will be. Either way, it's a pretty cool.

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
Just remember, Google Maps only gives you TEN spots - no more, so only inputing the city and state limits which spots are revealed (I guess Google decides which ten spots to reveal). So, the more detailed info you give (i.e. zipcode as opposed to only the city and state) the more specific your end results will be. Either way, it's a pretty cool.

Uh... zipcode in a LOT of areas applies to the whole city anyway. Whether I do my city and state, or it's zip code, I get identical results.

Best thing to do is put in an exact address, or zoom in on your location and then do a search for WiFi (or "sex" if you like, LOL).

TitoC

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Uh... zipcode in a LOT of areas applies to the whole city anyway. Whether I do my city and state, or it's zip code, I get identical results.

Best thing to do is put in an exact address, or zoom in on your location and then do a search for WiFi (or "sex" if you like, LOL).

Good point. I guess the smaller the city or town, the higher the likelyhood that that will happen. Putting in wifi, coffee, city brings only coffee shops with wifi in my area. Another good way to narrow it down.

jrober

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2003
Heathfield, UK
I see an iPhone 2.0 app. Sort of GPS+GoogleMaps+Wifi Finder+Directions. This is where your phone tells you which way to walk (No driving while doing this pls.) to maintain your WiFi signal.

App lasts until 2.0 goes 3G.

:)

John

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003
I see an iPhone 2.0 app. Sort of GPS+GoogleMaps+Wifi Finder+Directions. This is where your phone tells you which way to walk (No driving while doing this pls.) to maintain your WiFi signal.

App lasts until 2.0 goes 3G.

:)

John

I can see it as an iPhone 2.0 game. Sort of a modern day version of "Hot & Cold" :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.