PDA

View Full Version : HOW-TO to put ringtones on your iPhone !

rwdebes
Jul 12, 2007, 07:54 PM
http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_ringtone_installation.html

the HOW-TO also explain how you keep iphone syncing with itunes, after you put new ringtones.

Djmx
Jul 12, 2007, 08:06 PM
i was gonna post that!! GRrrrrr lol oh well ! i love IRC!!!

Troyte83
Jul 12, 2007, 08:08 PM
yea i dont think its worth the risk of your iPhone s***ing the bed just for some ringtones.

rwdebes
Jul 12, 2007, 08:16 PM
yea i dont think its worth the risk of your iPhone s****ing the bed just for some ringtones.

spoke with the one of the guys who did it , and he told me he is yet to see an iphone brick and could not recover.. 100% could restore.
im just waiting before i try , i can post some updates later.. looks like this is safe and works.. ur iphone will work normal after u put ringtones.

i was gonna post that!! GRrrrrr lol oh well ! i love IRC!!!

;)

rwdebes
Jul 12, 2007, 10:31 PM
they updated the site and is 100% working..

exNavy
Jul 12, 2007, 10:34 PM
Well since someone already posted it, all credit goes to the community who helped me write that. And to those developers that made the programs to do this.

Feel free to mirror or redistribute.

rwdebes
Jul 13, 2007, 12:04 AM
the updated tutorial on how to put custom ringtones and now change system sounds sucha as new email , voicemail , sms are up

Djmx
Jul 13, 2007, 12:04 AM
I DID IT!!! it's soo cool!! it was a lil PAIN IN DA @$$$ but i did it!!! lol

odobo
Jul 13, 2007, 12:43 AM
just a quick question... what program can I use to change mp3 to m4a :confused:

blakbyrd
Jul 13, 2007, 12:59 AM
^ iTunes. :)

Djmx
Jul 13, 2007, 01:21 AM

Does'nt have to be m4a.. just make sure there is no number when u add the file and make sure it's under 30 secs. and it's mp3 Mp3 or m4a both work!! it's soo cool! hope a easier program comes out soon tho! THIS IS ONLY FOR MACS...

loudestnoise
Jul 13, 2007, 01:48 AM
Daaang. I am very tempted to do this. How many people have done this successfully? Are we talking tens of people. Ha, I believe them when they say no iPhone has been bricked yet, but still. It's iPhone. I'm scared!

Djmx
Jul 13, 2007, 02:28 AM
Daaang. I am very tempted to do this. How many people have done this successfully? Are we talking tens of people. Ha, I believe them when they say no iPhone has been bricked yet, but still. It's iPhone. I'm scared!

If you follow the directions carefully u won't brick ur fone as long as ur fone is fully charge u can always use itune restore to bring stuff back... so yea..

Lixivial
Jul 13, 2007, 02:40 AM
Awesome! So replacing the Services.plist file actually did fix all the supposed "symlink issues." Losing iTunes syncing was the one thing keeping me from doing this, but I've done this and successfully resynced. I'm not sure I'd go around recommending this to everyone, but the step-by-step guide sure makes the process accessible to most people. If you're leary of doing this, I'd suggest waiting until a straightforward tool comes about, as it's sure to happen.

I gotta say, Yasunori Mitsuda should go into the ringtone business. Peaceful Days, Far Away Promise, Corridors of Time, and Guardia Millennial Fair? Perfect.

I've been using Quicktime Pro to grab 30 second bits of a song (Garageband, Audacity, or some other ilk would probably work too), export it to MPEG-4 and then changing the extension to .m4a. Otherwise iTunes will do it, as blakbyrd pointed out. To do this:

iTunes Menu -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Importing -> Import Using AAC Encoder. After doing this when right-clicking on a song, it will say "Convert selection to AAC."

loudestnoise
Jul 13, 2007, 03:20 AM
If you follow the directions carefully u won't brick ur fone as long as ur fone is fully charge u can always use itune restore to bring stuff back... so yea..

I guess my phone was pretty close to fully charged, but I did follow the steps and screwed up everything the first time. I used the 'CTU24' ringtone I found online, already in m4a format. The file would not play on iPhone. I then restored iPhone to factory condition and repeated the process again, this time using the CTU24 ringtone with a m4a file I had created with iTunes. I think something about iTunes creates better compatibility. It works just fine. I'm pretty excited.

digitalkid
Jul 13, 2007, 05:19 AM
If you follow the instructions everything works fine. Very little risk involved.
Tested and working with 20 ringtones.. i'm about to attack the system sounds right now.. Letcha know how that goes..

naughtyman89
Jul 13, 2007, 08:50 AM
If you follow the instructions everything works fine. Very little risk involved.
Tested and working with 20 ringtones.. i'm about to attack the system sounds right now.. Letcha know how that goes..

can u still sync with itunes?

jg2000
Jul 13, 2007, 09:40 AM
i'll wait for Apple's update, thanks

hanschien
Jul 13, 2007, 10:22 AM
If you guys want a normal sounding ringtone that's in the commercial, you can find a similar tone if you have GarageBand installed.

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/iLife Sound Effects/Work - Home/Cell Phone Ringing.aif

Convert it to AAC (.m4a) in iTunes.

organik
Jul 13, 2007, 10:27 AM
Just a note that this is for Intel Macs only, for now. I got all setup last night and ready to do it - and found out my G5 wouldn't work. :(

bluewoodboarder
Jul 13, 2007, 11:24 AM
I just got doing this. It worked without any problems. I added a couple ringtones and yes it still syncs just fine with itunes.

Oh on a side note, music downloaded and protected by iTunes didn't work for me (no surprise). It transfered and everything but there is just silence when i go to play it.

Muncle
Jul 13, 2007, 11:30 AM
I just got doing this. It worked without any problems. I added a couple ringtones and yes it still syncs just fine with itunes.

Oh on a side note, music downloaded and protected by iTunes didn't work for me (no surprise). It transfered and everything but there is just silence when i go to play it.

I have a question. After doing all this, say it messes up or you want to start over, when you restore, do you lose all the custom ringtones and have a "fresh" iPhone?

rdrr
Jul 13, 2007, 01:16 PM
I am just too lazy to go through 23 steps to add custom ring tones. I would rather wait <insert number here> amount of months to get the update from Apple.

:o

MarkW19
Jul 13, 2007, 01:27 PM

Could you let us know what the more obscure/duplicated system sounds are for - ie. what's the difference between "SIMToolkitSMS.caf", "ReceivedMessage.caf" and "sms-received.caf", and basically which of those 3 would you use to change the SMS received sound?!

fivetoadsloth
Jul 13, 2007, 01:35 PM
There is another guide, (I like it more) at http://www.iphonealley.com

http://www.iphonealley.com/news/guide-for-adding-custom-ringtones-and-tweaks-to-your-iphone

transamman1999
Jul 13, 2007, 02:04 PM
Could you let us know what the more obscure/duplicated system sounds are for - ie. what's the difference between "SIMToolkitSMS.caf", "ReceivedMessage.caf" and "sms-received.caf", and basically which of those 3 would you use to change the SMS received sound?!

i changed "sms-received.caf" to this: http://random.platinum-central.com/mail_mutha****a.wav (in the place of the **** replace the F word, i guess MacRumors is G rated even in links?)

and it works perfectly!!!!

(i also made that sound clip my new email alert)

MarkW19
Jul 13, 2007, 02:08 PM
i changed "sms-received.caf" to this: http://random.platinum-central.com/mail_mutha****a.wav

and it works perfectly!!!!

(i also made that sound clip my new email alert

Cool!

I wonder which one is the calendar sound?

Durandal549
Jul 13, 2007, 02:48 PM
I did it last night. The guide makes it really easy even if you don't know a lot about terminal and command line (like me).

I hit a snag because i put only one ringtone in to test the procedure at first. I tried to add more later and ran into problems on the last step. I could not update the services.plist the second time around (this is the file needed to keep syncing capability with itunes). After the second time my phone in itunes showed only 300mb of capacity and 197mb taken up by "other."

So i did a complete reset and started from scratch. The third time around everything worked great.

If anybody knows if the steps are suppose to be different after the first time it may be helpful.

Tip: if you jack the volume of the files your using as custom ringtones in an audio editor you can get significantly louder ringing than the supplied apple ringers.

itsallinurhead
Jul 13, 2007, 02:52 PM
Is there a way to remove these without doing a hard reset?

MarkW19
Jul 13, 2007, 02:55 PM
Can you add as many new ringtones as you want with this? Or do you have to "replace" just the 25 that are there?

digitalkid
Jul 13, 2007, 03:04 PM
You can add as much ringtones as you want, as long as you have space..

I'm trying to find the tone that sound when you plug the cable into the iphone and the battery icon comes up.. I've tried ussd.caf and short_low_high.caf but it's not those..

I've gotten the Voicemail, Lock, Unlock, new-mail, ReceivedMessage, & Sms-Message all working great.. I'm using a mix between a Star Trek/Star Wars sound themes, so when I lock/unlock my phone it sounds like a light saber..
When I get emails it R2D2 beeps, and when I get sms messages/voicemails The Enterprise's computer lady says "Incoming Transmission.." hahaha

Anyways.. yah just follow the steps and everything works great..
don't forget to update your services.plist EVERYTIME!

MarkW19
Jul 13, 2007, 03:08 PM
You can add as much ringtones as you want, as long as you have space..

I'm trying to find the tone that sound when you plug the cable into the iphone and the battery icon comes up.. I've tried ussd.caf and short_low_high.caf but it's not those..

I've gotten the Voicemail, Lock, Unlock, new-mail, ReceivedMessage, & Sms-Message all working great.. I'm using a mix between a Star Trek/Star Wars sound themes, so when I lock/unlock my phone it sounds like a light saber..
When I get emails it R2D2 beeps, and when I get sms messages/voicemails The Enterprise's computer lady says "Incoming Transmission.." hahaha

What's "ReceivedMessage" for?

And, when you put the iPhone into silent mode, do ALL the sounds turn off (even the sound when you put it in the dock to charge, lock/unlock etc.)?

I take it you can just get all your sounds (ringtones and alert sounds) ready and just put them all across in one go, without having to go back and do each one seperately/updating the services.plist etc.?

digitalkid
Jul 13, 2007, 03:13 PM
What's "ReceivedMessage" for?

And, when you put the iPhone into silent mode, do ALL the sounds turn off (even the sound when you put it in the dock to charge, lock/unlock etc.)?

I take it you can just get all your sounds (ringtones and alert sounds) ready and just put them all across in one go, without having to go back and do each one seperately/updating the services.plist etc.?

Not sure exactly what receivedMessage is for.. But I changed it anyway.. Anything incoming would match the sound I made.. HAHAHA.. If someone could map these sounds out w/ a description that would help a lot too.. I'm kinda lazy to do that, cuz I'll have to restore and reload 8gbs of crap..

And yah, prepping your ringtones (editing the part that you want to hear when ur phone rings instead of the whole song) is highly recommended.. Otherwise when you finally get ready to do it, you have like 1 song to load.. then spend another 2 hours figuring out what you want to load and editing again.. And you have time to search for different system sounds that you want to replace..

Also, when u flick tht silent mode switch.. ALL sounds are muted..

B-Ri
Jul 13, 2007, 03:21 PM
does anyone know where we can download sounds from other phones? i had an ericsson before this one and i really miss ericssons message alert 3 for text messages

MarkW19
Jul 13, 2007, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the help dk.

ian-frs
Jul 13, 2007, 03:42 PM
I'm surprised to how easy this actually was took me about 10 mins to change all tones to custom something or other.

Durandal549
Jul 13, 2007, 03:45 PM
Is there a way to remove these without doing a hard reset?

There is a remove directory command that you can use to remove files without doing a hard reset. This is explained in the instructions as well and is very helpful.

These ringtones are in addition to the apple supplied 25.

Schmoe0013
Jul 13, 2007, 03:47 PM
now what we really need, is to use the "got mail" sound from Euro Trip.

"Mail Mother *********!!"

Durandal549
Jul 13, 2007, 03:53 PM

This may not be the proper place but i couldn't find a forum section on hacktheiphone.com. Do you know what happens/what to do if putfile services.plist fails. I assumed incorrectly that file was already present. I subsequently had to reset and start over. Just wondering and thanks for all the info!

Muncle
Jul 13, 2007, 04:00 PM
Hey guys! I just started making some ringtones, and I made a ringtone from the iPhone commercial.

Here it is!
iPhone Commercial Ringer (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WM518WYM)

P.S. - I haven't put it on my phone yet, but I am planning to add 2 or 3 different songs. Can I add them all at once, or do I have to do each at different times?

Also, can I delete it all and make it a "fresh" iPhone? The reason I ask, is because my iPhone's battery is being repaired and right now I am using the Apple Service Care Phone.

pavvento
Jul 13, 2007, 04:49 PM
I did it last night. The guide makes it really easy even if you don't know a lot about terminal and command line (like me).

I hit a snag because i put only one ringtone in to test the procedure at first. I tried to add more later and ran into problems on the last step. I could not update the services.plist the second time around (this is the file needed to keep syncing capability with itunes). After the second time my phone in itunes showed only 300mb of capacity and 197mb taken up by "other."

So i did a complete reset and started from scratch. The third time around everything worked great.

If anybody knows if the steps are suppose to be different after the first time it may be helpful.

Tip: if you jack the volume of the files your using as custom ringtones in an audio editor you can get significantly louder ringing than the supplied apple ringers.

I think I ran into a similar problem. I thought it was working but my ringtones didn't show up, and then I click "restore" on itunes and it restored it but still only shows 300mb available, and when I try to open jailbreak it says it couldn't do it. any advice?

Djmx
Jul 13, 2007, 05:23 PM
Do you guys think there might be a Custom Ringtone software made or can you guys think u can create one.. it's be awesome ( Mac Only) what ya think...??

Djmx
Jul 13, 2007, 05:24 PM
I think I ran into a similar problem. I thought it was working but my ringtones didn't show up, and then I click "restore" on itunes and it restored it but still only shows 300mb available, and when I try to open jailbreak it says it couldn't do it. any advice?

Happend to me 2.. restore it agian i freaked out... turn on the fone and do itune restore... and start over...

pavvento
Jul 13, 2007, 05:29 PM
Happend to me 2.. restore it agian i freaked out... turn on the fone and do itune restore... and start over...

I keep starting over and sometimes I get to where I type in 'putfile' but when I turn teh phone on the ringtones aren't there. After the first time you do jailbreak and restart the phone, do you have to do it again before typing in ./iPhoneInterface or do you do it as soon as jailbreak runs the first time?

Durandal549
Jul 13, 2007, 05:29 PM

I don't know. I don't think jailbreak will work with the phone in that condition. That's why I restored when it happened. The restore fixed my phone. It does take a while to restore because itunes has to download the dmg file itself befoe it does anything to the actual phone. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Posted with my iPhone while doing 55mph on the highway (no I am not driving). Damn I love this thing.

cah87
Jul 13, 2007, 05:41 PM
nice freakin find:D:D:D

QuarterSwede
Jul 13, 2007, 05:42 PM
Hey guys! I just started making some ringtones, and I made a ringtone from the iPhone commercial.

Here it is!
iPhone Commercial Ringer (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WM518WYM)
It doesn't loop perfectly and it hits the ceiling a bit but not bad. I'm wondering which commercial you got that from ... is there one where the narrator doesn't speak?

jpsimon
Jul 13, 2007, 05:49 PM
I am using the theme song from the greatest show of all time... Flight of the Conchords:

http://iphonedesktop.net/misc/iTunes-FotCRinger.mpg

Muncle
Jul 13, 2007, 05:53 PM
It doesn't loop perfectly and it hits the ceiling a bit but not bad. I'm wondering which commercial you got that from ... is there one where the narrator doesn't speak?

No, I used the original song. Its called "Perfect Timing (This Morning)" by Orba Squara

fozo
Jul 13, 2007, 05:59 PM
is this instruction for MAC only or for bot PC and MAC?

pavvento
Jul 13, 2007, 06:35 PM
so I was able to add a song, but I tried adding like 5 and only one added, is there a special thing you have to do to add multiple songs?

EDIT: I realized that you can't just do "putfile ringtone.m4a" on each line, that you must do quit after each ringtone, and re enter the ./iphoneinterface and all that just as you had to for the first one. Now I have all hte ringtones and no problems syncing!

slazareth
Jul 13, 2007, 07:27 PM
I've done this twice now. Following both the guide in the first post and the one posted later = http://www.iphonealley.com/news/guide-for-adding-custom-ringtones-and-tweaks-to-your-iphone

Both times I have had problems syncing with iTunes upon restart of my phone. I get the message 'iTunes could not connect to the iPhone "Secret iPhone" because an unknown error occurred (0xE8000022).'

I'm going to restore my iPhone again and then probably leave it alone for now. For other people. Its worth giving it a shot. If this happens you can still restore your phone. So yeah, if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, please let me know. The Ringtones are on my phone and work great. I just can't get iTunes to recognize my phone.

Edit - my phone is named Secret iPhone btw. Just in case you thought that was some cryptic message iTunes spat out.

EDIT - Ok, I tried it for a third time and got it all working nicely. I had forgotten to kill iTunes Helper. After doing that everything went smoothly.

itsallinurhead
Jul 13, 2007, 07:28 PM
What format do the tones have to be in? I tried to upload a song I edited in garageband (converted to MP3) and it didn't work.

lamar777
Jul 13, 2007, 07:59 PM
Did it added 3 Tones and it worked great

EriQ009
Jul 13, 2007, 08:19 PM
I did this using the guide on iPhonealley.com.

I tried the other walk-through, as it seemed to provide better step-by-step instructions. Tried it several times, though, and ran into some difficulties. I ended up having to restore my iPhone through iTunes and start all over.

I then decided to try the iPhonealley guide, and had no problems at all. I had 20+ ringtones that I had all ready to go, and it was just a matter of adding them using the putfile command, one after the other.

Many thanks to the guys who put in their time to make this happen.

itsallinurhead
Jul 13, 2007, 08:31 PM
Did it added 3 Tones and it worked great

What format?

pavvento
Jul 13, 2007, 08:46 PM
What format?

mp3 worked fine for me. I imported some songs into audacity to cut them down adn exported them as mp3 and it worked no prob. Just make sure when you're transfering the song you put the extension, ie "putfile americanbabyringtone.mp3"

Stella
Jul 13, 2007, 08:48 PM
Changing ring tones should be trivial, especially in a $500 phone!

tony710
Jul 13, 2007, 10:07 PM
There is another guide, (I like it more) at http://www.iphonealley.com

http://www.iphonealley.com/news/guide-for-adding-custom-ringtones-and-tweaks-to-your-iphone

Agreed. I like this one a lot more.

CyberGreg
Jul 13, 2007, 10:28 PM
so I was able to add a song, but I tried adding like 5 and only one added, is there a special thing you have to do to add multiple songs?

EDIT: I realized that you can't just do "putfile ringtone.m4a" on each line, that you must do quit after each ringtone, and re enter the ./iphoneinterface and all that just as you had to for the first one. Now I have all hte ringtones and no problems syncing!

I updated both our iPhone's and did not have to restart after each .m4a ringtone. All 13 were copied just fine. I also set my AT&T logo to Apple, then I tried changing my new mail and sms sounds and lost both sounds. All I had was vibrate. I restored and put all my ringtones and Apple 'service' indicator back on. I'll wait on the system sounds.
Frackin' sweet!
:cool:

digitalkid
Jul 13, 2007, 11:08 PM
OMG everybody asks all these random questions that are in the damn guide. TAKE YOUR TIME AND READ.

To clear things up, it needs to be in .m4a (just reencode it in itunes as AAC) it says you can try MP3, but why? Just do AAC and it works, no sense in making things harder.

You can apply more than one ringtone at a time, you DO NOT need to quit then back in again. If you cannot get into recover mode, you need to restore your iPhone before you attempt any of the following steps.

Quick Install Guide:

In Terminal:
type: cd phonedmg
type: ./jailbreak

->PLUG PHONE IN
->HOLD DOWN HOME & POWER for 25sec
->Phone reboots and jailbreak returns back to regular prompt

type: ./iphoneinterface

(FIRST TIME, u need to create a ringtones folder, RETURNING for more, you don't need to recreate)
type: mkdir /var/root/Library/Ringtones
type: cd /var/root/Library/Ringtones

type: putfile blahblahblah.m4a
type: putfile stupidsong.m4a
type: putfile howevermanysongsuhave.m4a
etc...

THEN before you exit: (This is a very crucial step even if you don't add anything to your iphone, everytime you jailbreak ur phone, u need to reapply the services.plist or else your phone will require a restore in iTunes)

type: cd /System/Library/Lockdown
type: putfile Services.plist
type: exit

->UNPLUG ur iphone and reboot it. YOURE DONE.

sportlouis
Jul 13, 2007, 11:14 PM
When i did this, somehow i didnt install the service.plist and now i cant connect to itunes. i also cannot go back and redo the process because it wont let me get past the ./jailbreak part. Is there anyway of restoring the phone without being connected to itunes or are there any other suggestions?

I've done this twice now. Following both the guide in the first post and the one posted later = http://www.iphonealley.com/news/guide-for-adding-custom-ringtones-and-tweaks-to-your-iphone

Both times I have had problems syncing with iTunes upon restart of my phone. I get the message 'iTunes could not connect to the iPhone "Secret iPhone" because an unknown error occurred (0xE8000022).'

I'm going to restore my iPhone again and then probably leave it alone for now. For other people. Its worth giving it a shot. If this happens you can still restore your phone. So yeah, if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, please let me know. The Ringtones are on my phone and work great. I just can't get iTunes to recognize my phone.

Edit - my phone is named Secret iPhone btw. Just in case you thought that was some cryptic message iTunes spat out.

EDIT - Ok, I tried it for a third time and got it all working nicely. I had forgotten to kill iTunes Helper. After doing that everything went smoothly.

i keep getting that error for itunes also. how do you restore your phone if you cannot hook up to itunes???

anyone??

ignus graius
Jul 14, 2007, 01:59 AM
I am using the theme song from the greatest show of all time... Flight of the Conchords:

http://iphonedesktop.net/misc/iTunes-FotCRinger.mpg

jpsimon, that's a great ringtone! Would you mind emailing that to mocboow at gmail dot com?

pavvento
Jul 14, 2007, 02:22 AM
When i did this, somehow i didnt install the service.plist and now i cant connect to itunes. i also cannot go back and redo the process because it wont let me get past the ./jailbreak part. Is there anyway of restoring the phone without being connected to itunes or are there any other suggestions?

Does itunes give you the option to restore? I forgot to do the services but was able to restore and do it again

ignus graius
Jul 14, 2007, 02:57 AM
Does anyone know of a way to copy the files FROM the iPhone using iPhoneInterface? I can view the files that are already on it, copy new files TO the phone, but don't know a command to get files that area already there.

amberashby
Jul 14, 2007, 07:52 AM
Anyone successful in making a "louder" ringtone? All of the stock ones aren't loud enough for me. Maybe I'm getting old and losing my hearing. Can you maybe just take a stock ringtone and run it through Audacity to increase the volume level?

I really don't care for custom ringtones, but if I can get a louder ringtone I'm willing to go through this process.

Thanks.

CyberGreg
Jul 14, 2007, 08:24 AM
Anyone successful in making a "louder" ringtone? All of the stock ones aren't loud enough for me. Maybe I'm getting old and losing my hearing. Can you maybe just take a stock ringtone and run it through Audacity to increase the volume level?

I really don't care for custom ringtones, but if I can get a louder ringtone I'm willing to go through this process.

Thanks.

Yes you can, although when you say 'stock', you are referring to a regular ringtone, not an iPhone ringtone (we can not copy files off the iPhone, yet). So, you find or make your own mp3 ringtone and can very easily tweak the volume with QT Pro or Audacity.

amberashby
Jul 14, 2007, 08:29 AM
Yes you can, although when you say 'stock', you are referring to a regular ringtone, not an iPhone ringtone (we can not copy files off the iPhone, yet). So, you find or make your own mp3 ringtone and can very easily tweak the volume with QT Pro or Audacity.

Cool. I've found and downloaded the Miramba ringtone. I'll try to increase the volume and see how it works.

Thanks.

zapp
Jul 14, 2007, 08:35 AM
Agreed. I like this one a lot more.

me too, even had the CTU ringtone I wanted to put on

pavvento
Jul 14, 2007, 09:10 AM

Thanks.

I raised mine about 6-9db in audacity and they sounded like crap on the phone so I changed them back to zero, but maybe if you try you'll have better luck.

sportlouis
Jul 14, 2007, 10:56 AM

Thanks.

All my new ringtones are ALOT louded. i felt that was one of the major flaws in the current ringtones. NUMEROUS times i have missed a call just listening to the radio in my car or having a conversation with someone because they weren't loud enough. now i dont think ill have that problem

boss1
Jul 14, 2007, 11:14 AM
has anyone been successful in doing this on a non intel Mac ? I want to try it but well, i'm not on an intel Mac.

pghjetta
Jul 14, 2007, 11:21 AM
This is great (really!) but the guide says it won't work for PPC Macs, and that's all I've got. Has anyone had any luck compiling the Universal binary for "the rest of us"? :)

boss1
Jul 14, 2007, 11:23 AM
Ok apparently there are instructions now available for creating custom ringtones on Window (http://cre.ations.net/blog/post/custom-ringtones--sounds-on-your-iphone-using-windows)s. All of a sudden my non intel Mac feels very gimp.

TheBusDriver
Jul 14, 2007, 01:44 PM
I can't get the command line to work i keep getting

steven-maloneys-computer:~ stevenmaloney$ cd ~/Desktop/iPhone\ goodies/tools/
-bash: cd: /Users/stevenmaloney/Desktop/iPhone goodies/tools/: No such file or director

anybody know my problem? I've unzipped them to the desktop and it still won't work.

msw123307
Jul 14, 2007, 05:39 PM
Yeah I tried but my phone went into some kind of disk mode and I only had like 200 megs avaliable. Restored it..seems to be back to normal. I'll wait a little while before I try that again..

Porco
Jul 14, 2007, 07:01 PM
Changing ring tones should be trivial, especially in a $500 phone!

Indeed. This is crazy. It takes me a whole 2 steps to put a custom ringtone on my current Sony Ericsson Phone (Sony of all things!)-

1. Plug in phone via USB (or switch on bluetooth).
2. Drag file to phone.

the end.

I've decided I'm not going to buy an iPhone in the UK unless+until this kind of nonsense is sorted out, it's just silly.

skiwildcat7
Jul 14, 2007, 07:22 PM
Does anyone know what all those "dtmf" named files are? They're under the system sounds.
Thanks

MarkW19
Jul 14, 2007, 07:24 PM
Does anyone know what all those "dtmf" named files are? They're under the system sounds.
Thanks

"Dual Tone Multi-Frequency":-

They're the digital tones that each number key makes when you press it, when in "old fashioned" dial mode. A different sound for each number (just like a standard landline).

obeyz
Jul 14, 2007, 07:30 PM
this is amazing! only after 3 resets haha i finally put 6 custom ringtones i made in garageband 3. no matter if you really mess up (trust me, i got ever single message everyone keeps saying they got) all you need to do is restore your iphone to factory settings and POOF! you can try again until you get it!

next i'll change the sounds for email, sms, and other random stuff! and i SUCK at computers =]

MarceePauff
Jul 14, 2007, 07:46 PM
Honestly, I know nothing about the terminal, or any of this hacking/programming stuff - and I added about six new ringtones on my first try. No problems at all. I LOOOOVE these people! I'm so excited.

Next, I was going to try to tackle some of the message alerts, but I've yet to find anyone who's actually mapped which alerts are which. Maybe I'll just try one or two of the obvious ones, like 'new-mail.caf'.

Yay customized phone!

CyberGreg
Jul 14, 2007, 08:10 PM
Indeed. This is crazy. It takes me a whole 2 steps to put a custom ringtone on my current Sony Ericsson Phone (Sony of all things!)-

1. Plug in phone via USB (or switch on bluetooth).
2. Drag file to phone.

the end.

I've decided I'm not going to buy an iPhone in the UK unless+until this kind of nonsense is sorted out, it's just silly.

Your loss.... :p

MBHockey
Jul 14, 2007, 09:33 PM
Does anyone know where to find the ringtone from the commercial? (Not the Marimba one from the keynote -- the very cell phone sounding ringer from the TV commercial.) If i can download that ring tone i will look into this further. It seems pretty easy from the instructions, i just don't have any good ring tone files :)

badtzmaru
Jul 14, 2007, 09:43 PM
if you base your iphone purchase decision on custom ringtone availablity, its not for you!

itsallinurhead
Jul 14, 2007, 10:08 PM
So what is the cause of the "can't connect to iTunes" problem? I followed the guide step by step and I am still getting that error. The ringtone is on the phone, but I don't want to restore it till activation goes back up.

odobo
Jul 15, 2007, 12:00 AM
So what is the cause of the "can't connect to iTunes" problem? I followed the guide step by step and I am still getting that error. The ringtone is on the phone, but I don't want to restore it till activation goes back up.

you need to put the Services.plist file on your iphone again

itsallinurhead
Jul 15, 2007, 12:02 AM
you need to put the Services.plist file on your iphone again

I did, didn't work though. Maybe I typed it wrong. There is no way to put it back on without restoring the phone is there?

hanschien
Jul 15, 2007, 12:13 AM
Does anyone know where to find the ringtone from the commercial? (Not the Marimba one from the keynote -- the very cell phone sounding ringer from the TV commercial.) If i can download that ring tone i will look into this further. It seems pretty easy from the instructions, i just don't have any good ring tone files :)

do you have GarageBand installed? If you do, look inside /library/audio/apple loops/apple/iLife sound effects/work - home/

Djmx
Jul 15, 2007, 01:01 AM
is this instruction for MAC only or for bot PC and MAC?

MAC ONLY! INTEL MAC that is..

Djmx
Jul 15, 2007, 01:05 AM
Any progress on maybe having a Software made tha can easily do the ringtone u just add the ringtones to da fone...? It's be AWESOME!!

badtzmaru
Jul 15, 2007, 01:27 AM
i followed the Windows version instructions and it worked like a charm! i have been able to put mp3 and AAC ringtones on my phone. Very happy!!!

Joshua8o8
Jul 15, 2007, 03:54 AM
So i have been contemplating weather or not i should give this a try or not, and finally i couldnt take it any longer and decided to go for it. After about the third step i managed to do something wrong and had to restore my iphone. Lucky me at&t is doing some maintenance or something like that so im going to have to wait untill 3 P.M. eastern central time to try and reactivate my iphone. I hope its going to work! Talk about bad timing, this really sucks! Luckily for me i live in Hawaii so 3 P.M. EST is only 9 A.M. over here but still i dont feel rite with out my iphone working properly. I dont know if i will be able to sleep tonight! I guess this is a sign for me. I dont think im going to try again, i might do something even worse to it if i give it another go. Too bad i really wanted some custom ringtones on my phone. O well

pghjetta
Jul 15, 2007, 05:48 AM
Thanks

Now I'm really glad I don't have an Intel Mac. I'd be sooo tempted to replace those with recordings of myself going "boop" "boop" "beep"! :p

cediger
Jul 15, 2007, 06:59 AM
I was able to follow the 'hacktheiphone' instructions with no problems. I've loaded 8 custom ringtones - this is great! It went very quick also - it takes me about 2 minutes to load ringtones using this method.

One note - not sure anyone has said this here or not - the name for the ringtone listed in the 'Ringtones' menu takes itself from the filename. I originally thought it was reading the ID3 tags. I went in, deleted the original files I had put there the first name, renamed the ringtones on my Mac & ran through the process again.

Thanks!

CyberGreg
Jul 15, 2007, 08:59 AM
Following THESE INSTRUCTIONS (http://www.iphonealley.com/forums/showthread.php?p=650) I was able to replace my carrier (AT&T) logo.

I'm a little too old for 'pwn3d' so I created my own. My iPhone now says "Apple" where the AT&T logo was.

Sweet...

Edit: Man that's hard to see, anyhow, it's white "Apple" text
Edit 2: Sorry, forgot the black text

MBHockey
Jul 15, 2007, 09:19 AM
do you have GarageBand installed? If you do, look inside /library/audio/apple loops/apple/iLife sound effects/work - home/

Ah, perfect. Got it on, sounds great. Thanks for the tip.

kvtp
Jul 15, 2007, 09:59 AM
Quick q to you guys, when you put ringtones from iTunes is it the whole song or is there a way to clip it to like 10-15 seconds of what you want to play?

Jul 15, 2007, 10:41 AM
To Steve TheBusDriver

-bash: cd: /Users/stevenmaloney/Desktop/iPhone goodies/tools/: No such file or director

Steve it looks like the script is not properly escaping the directory name with the embedded space or else that directory doesn't exist.

Jul 15, 2007, 10:56 AM
Hi, FWIW just wanted to share my own failed attempt with you. I was unsuccessful following the HackiPhone instructions due partly to the format of the ringtone. I used Fission to create what were supposedly iPhone formatted tones which it saved as a .m4v not .m4a. iphoneInterface happily put several of them onto the phone but then produced an error Signal report without much detail. I then tried to put the Services.plist back and it failed. I then tried to restore using iTunes and got unable to connect to iphone on sync with the 0xE8000022. Further attempts to run either jailbreak or iphoneInterface failed with an unable to connect to phone AFC error. at this point, iPhone was still working fine but was unable to sync and if iTunes could not connect to it, no restore was possible. Even the dudes at the Apple store were unable to restore it. i was still within the 15 days of purchase, so i got a new phone, but you might not be so lucky...

MarceePauff
Jul 15, 2007, 11:02 AM
Hi, FWIW just wanted to share my own failed attempt with you. I was unsuccessful following the HackiPhone instructions due partly to the format of the ringtone. I used Fission to create what were supposedly iPhone formatted tones which it saved as a .m4v not .m4a. iphoneInterface happily put several of them onto the phone but then produced an error Signal report without much detail. I then tried to put the Services.plist back and it failed. I then tried to restore using iTunes and got unable to connect to iphone on sync with the 0xE8000022. Further attempts to run either jailbreak or iphoneInterface failed with an unable to connect to phone AFC error. at this point, iPhone was still working fine but was unable to sync and if iTunes could not connect to it, no restore was possible. Even the dudes at the Apple store were unable to restore it. i was still within the 15 days of purchase, so i got a new phone, but you might not be so lucky...

I used Fission too, but after cutting it up and making it sound the way I wanted to, I brought it into itunes and under the "Advanced" menu it allows you to "convert selection to AAC". That makes it an .m4a and they all worked perfectly.

I even changed out my new mail and new text notifications. WOOHOO!

MBHockey
Jul 15, 2007, 11:35 AM
What are those sound files called? I'd like to replace them, but i'm not sure how to remove/how to overwrite the existing ones.

usasalazar
Jul 15, 2007, 12:33 PM
Wow it worked perfectly! I made 30 ringtones and they all work!

Can this phone get any cooler?!:apple:

Check it out at: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=christophersalazar
:D

Porco
Jul 15, 2007, 12:37 PM
Your loss.... :p

Yes, it is my loss, which is a shame, because otherwise I think the iPhone looks mostly awesome. I don't like that on this occasion Apple have made such silly, pointless decisions that cause me to decide to not buy one.

if you base your iphone purchase decision on custom ringtone availability, its not for you!

It's not just the actual ringtone issue per se, as I've posted before it's the whole ethos of being so tied to making money out the consumer even after they've bought the product and pay a subscription/contract charge for service to the point of blocking functionality that should be there and is there on plenty of rival products.

I understand limiting app development to web 2.0, I understand (and like) the idea of not having a physical keyboard... but the ringtone issue is, to my mind purposefully crippling the device for lame commercial/political reasons, not for any benefit to the consumer. That is what I object to.

I wasn't criticising anyone who hacks the phone to do stuff it should do anyway, it's just ridiculous it's necessary.

MarceePauff
Jul 15, 2007, 01:05 PM
What are those sound files called? I'd like to replace them, but i'm not sure how to remove/how to overwrite the existing ones.

The "how to" linked in this thread has a list of which soundfiles are used for the applications. The ones I replaced were the obvious ones: new-mail.caf and sms-received.caf.

You have to create your sound file first, then convert to quicktime aiff, then change the name to whatever you want to replace (new-mail.caf), then change directory (cd) to the one they give you... It's something like /System/Soundfiles/UI but not that-so you'll have to look that up at hacktheiphone. Then you putfile new-mail.caf and voila. New mail sound. But once you write over that file the original is gone.

Good luck.

usasalazar
Jul 15, 2007, 01:11 PM
Well, I hope you think they are cool.

http://homepage.mac.com/usachris/FileSharing4.html

They are in the proper format and 30 sec or less and they all work!:D

Enjoy!

MBHockey
Jul 15, 2007, 01:17 PM
thanks yeah i missed that list. Ill just cp over all the default sounds first.

TheBusDriver
Jul 15, 2007, 01:54 PM
To Steve TheBusDriver

Steve it looks like the script is not properly escaping the directory name with the embedded space or else that directory doesn't exist.

English please :D or rather how do I fix it.

CyberGreg
Jul 15, 2007, 02:00 PM

If you find a way to do that please post. Inside the iPhoneInterface shell, there is no cp or getfile listed. Only putfile. :(

MBHockey
Jul 15, 2007, 02:10 PM
Yeah, i just found this out too -- oh well! you can get the sounds from the decrypted disk image, though.

itsallinurhead
Jul 15, 2007, 02:15 PM

You just hold down Home and Sleep/Wake. When it says connect to iTunes it is in recovery mode and you can restore it.

212rikanmofo
Jul 15, 2007, 02:42 PM
is there a way to do this for PPC macs? I don't have an intel mac... sigh... :(

TheBusDriver
Jul 15, 2007, 02:47 PM

yes go to www.apple.com/store and upgrade :p not that I know of no but I don't know every thing, only most things :D

MarceePauff
Jul 15, 2007, 03:31 PM

Hey, just realized that once you're in the ringtones or sounds directory:

Library/Ringtones (for ringtones)
or
/System/Library/Audio/UISound (for the message received and other app sounds)

you can type "ls" to get a list of files in that directory
when you're in those directories, you can putfile (to put a file, duh)
or rmdir (to remove a file)

For example, I didn't need the dog bark or harp in my ringtones folder, so I:
cd Library/Ringtones
ls (to find out what they were called)
rmdir Harp.m4a
rmdir Bark.m4a
quit

and then *poof* they were gone.

I still don't know exactly what sounds do what in the UISound folder; I've only changed the new-mail and sms-received and so far, so good. I don't think I'll go any further yet, though.

Have fun!

Jul 15, 2007, 04:00 PM
You just hold down Home and Sleep/Wake. When it says connect to iTunes it is in recovery mode and you can restore it.
Thanks I knew that but recovery mode did not allow me to restore as iTunes would not connect to the phone. Something basic got whacked on the phone so that the AFC file system returned errors and caused iTunes to error-out. game over... :(

itsallinurhead
Jul 15, 2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks I knew that but recovery mode did not allow me to restore as iTunes would not connect to the phone. Something basic got whacked on the phone so that the AFC file system returned errors and caused iTunes to error-out. game over... :(

Ah, sorry to hear that.:(

bijanm
Jul 15, 2007, 04:51 PM
gollum!

ekahialoha
Jul 15, 2007, 08:58 PM
hey everyone. this is so cool :)
the sound quality kinda sucks but its still better than nothing.
but now i have a question.
if im on a PC, how do i REMOVE ringtones?
I uploaded a ringtone to my phone that doesnt work.
so how do i remove?
thanks in advance

CyberGreg
Jul 16, 2007, 12:10 AM
Hey, just realized that once you're in the ringtones or sounds directory:

Library/Ringtones (for ringtones)
or
/System/Library/Audio/UISound (for the message received and other app sounds)

you can type "ls" to get a list of files in that directory
when you're in those directories, you can putfile (to put a file, duh)
or rmdir (to remove a file)

For example, I didn't need the dog bark or harp in my ringtones folder, so I:
cd Library/Ringtones
ls (to find out what they were called)
rmdir Harp.m4a
rmdir Bark.m4a
quit

and then *poof* they were gone.

I still don't know exactly what sounds do what in the UISound folder; I've only changed the new-mail and sms-received and so far, so good. I don't think I'll go any further yet, though.

Have fun!

Dude - you ROCK

Thanks - I finally got rid of the lame sounds that I will never use like Dog Bark, Crickets, Motorcycle to name a few.

Awesome...

@ekahialoha
This post describes how to remove your uploaded ringtone. Just repeat the entire process but once you get to /var/root/Library/Ringtones type ls and you'll see all the files you've uploaded. Now type rmdir ringtone.m4a or .mp3. Just make sure you match the case exactly.

sealab2021
Jul 16, 2007, 12:41 AM
check out my youtube video demonstrating this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lwIWpW655Q (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lwIWpW655Q)

Joshua8o8
Jul 16, 2007, 12:52 AM
whats up everyone. So i tried to do this process a few times and i cant quite get it to work. i selected the songs i wanted in itunes, converted it to AAC, and then edited it to 30 seconds in garage band. eveything goes good as i follow the guide on how to hack the iphone untill i turn my iphone off and back on again to try to listen to my new ringtone on my phone. It reads that its there but it just wont play. What am i doing wrong?!? i tried to install some of the ring tones that people maid ( the links above ) and they worked just fine on my phone. but my problem is that i cant get any that i made to work on my phone. Any suggestins/help would be greatly appreciated! Also any other pre maid ringtones would also be appreciated!

bijanm
Jul 16, 2007, 01:10 AM
dont use aac format. use mp3 or mp4 onlywhats up everyone. So i tried to do this process a few times and i cant quite get it to work. i selected the songs i wanted in itunes, converted it to AAC, and then edited it to 30 seconds in garage band. eveything goes good as i follow the guide on how to hack the iphone untill i turn my iphone off and back on again to try to listen to my new ringtone on my phone. It reads that its there but it just wont play. What am i doing wrong?!? i tried to install some of the ring tones that people maid ( the links above ) and they worked just fine on my phone. but my problem is that i cant get any that i made to work on my phone. Any suggestins/help would be greatly appreciated! Also any other pre maid ringtones would also be appreciated!

CyberGreg
Jul 16, 2007, 07:38 AM
whats up everyone. So i tried to do this process a few times and i cant quite get it to work. i selected the songs i wanted in itunes, converted it to AAC, and then edited it to 30 seconds in garage band. eveything goes good as i follow the guide on how to hack the iphone untill i turn my iphone off and back on again to try to listen to my new ringtone on my phone. It reads that its there but it just wont play. What am i doing wrong?!? i tried to install some of the ring tones that people maid ( the links above ) and they worked just fine on my phone. but my problem is that i cant get any that i made to work on my phone. Any suggestins/help would be greatly appreciated! Also any other pre maid ringtones would also be appreciated!

Save it as an AIF, then use iTunes to convert it to AAC or MP3.

PS AAC (m4a) files work just fine, at least mine do, from iTunes.

tuner4life
Jul 16, 2007, 08:22 AM
hey guys i was just curious on if this only works for macs or i could do it just fine on my pc??? sorry if this was asked already didnt feel like readin through the whole thread

benspratling
Jul 16, 2007, 09:51 AM

yeah, somebody needs to click a check box... In case *cough*that person*cough* doesn't know how, here's a link to how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcfGsOKXO5M

CyberGreg
Jul 16, 2007, 09:58 AM
hey guys i was just curious on if this only works for macs or i could do it just fine on my pc??? sorry if this was asked already didnt feel like readin through the whole thread

Link for Lazy Windows Users ;-) (http://cre.ations.net/blog/post/custom-ringtones--sounds-on-your-iphone-using-windows)
:D

ichii
Jul 16, 2007, 12:39 PM
What's a good free program to make ringtones?

exNavy
Jul 16, 2007, 01:42 PM
What's a good free program to make ringtones?

Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

ichii
Jul 16, 2007, 03:41 PM
having problems, I tried the steps, but when I try to creat the folder it would not work, "mkdir /var/root/Library/Ringtones" I am using http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_ringtone_installation.html steps. I retried doing the steps over after exiting terminal, but I would get an error when jailbreak is detecting the iPhone. The iPhone still get's detected on the iTunes.

MarceePauff
Jul 16, 2007, 03:57 PM
having problems, I tried the steps, but when I try to creat the folder it would not work, "mkdir /var/root/Library/Ringtones" I am using http://www.hacktheiphone.com/iphone_ringtone_installation.html steps. I retried doing the steps over after exiting terminal, but I would get an error when jailbreak is detecting the iPhone. The iPhone still get's detected on the iTunes.

I actually suggest using the instructions at iphonealley. They're a bit more concise and, for me, easier to understand.

Make sure you download THEIR goodies, though. Otherwise, your directories will be wrong.

Good luck.

skiwildcat7
Jul 16, 2007, 04:35 PM
With all this modifying, has anyone explored around and figured out if you can change the background of the homescreen? not the one when you unlock it, the main screen with all the buttons. thought it would be fun to play around with that.
Thanks.

ichii
Jul 16, 2007, 04:37 PM
when i type cd ~/Desktop/iPhone\ goodies/tools/
in terminal it said No such file or directory, I have the folder iPhone goodies on my desktop. :confused:

pghjetta
Jul 16, 2007, 04:47 PM
when i type cd ~/Desktop/iPhone\ goodies/tools/
in terminal it said No such file or directory, I have the folder iPhone goodies on my desktop. :confused:

Try just cd'ing one directory at a time (i.e. "cd desktop", "cd iPhone\ goodies", "cd tools") instead of all at once, or even typing cd and dragging the folder you're trying to get into on to the terminal window. Much easier.

nystigmus
Jul 16, 2007, 05:08 PM
works great. just uploaded about ten tones to my iPhone. They all work great. One thing though, while using iPhoneInterface I would have found it helpful to be able to putfile *.m4a. Don't do this! it actually creates a file on the iphone called *.m4a (not sure if that'll mess anything up but at least it doesn't function as one would hope). Also, white space is not used as a delineator and thus no quotes must be used. Just thought this might help some of you out there with questions still.

(a little late but hey, i was freaked about doing this at first too)

ichii
Jul 16, 2007, 05:20 PM
I have a message "sorry, apparently things just didn't work out. It was in the process waiting for iPhonte to finish booting.. moving files into place... problem ditto: 6

212rikanmofo
Jul 16, 2007, 05:47 PM
yeah, somebody needs to click a check box... In case *cough*that person*cough* doesn't know how, here's a link to how to do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcfGsOKXO5M

well can that somebody with the source code please make a PPC version for us old school MAC people who don't have intel macs but want to change our ringtones also... :(

MacUser4_20
Jul 16, 2007, 05:58 PM
Worked without a hitch, I have 13 new ringtones, and looking forward to adding more as I come across them, thanks everyone for your efforts!

flipto
Jul 16, 2007, 06:16 PM
ringtones are working great but i tried changing the sound system for new mail and i couldnt get it to work..i followed the instruction but everytime i put this in "putfile /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/.caf"..iphoneinterface crashes..help please

tuner4life
Jul 16, 2007, 08:08 PM
ok im havin problems with the zip file....is it just one big file or a bunch of individual files???

MacUser4_20
Jul 17, 2007, 12:56 AM
You should decompress the file so that it is a folder with all the individual files inside.ok im havin problems with the zip file....is it just one big file or a bunch of individual files???

Just another major prop to all involved to get this to work!
I spent a little time cutting mp3's, loading them to iTunes and then dragging them to my folder upon completion. All my ringtones from my library I edited came out perfect, and sound perfect on my iPhone even the volume is much better. This was my 3rd time adding tones and it has worked perfectly each time! Thank u again all who contributed!

Joshua8o8
Jul 17, 2007, 03:19 AM
All right everyone, i finally got my ringtones working. What i was doing wrong was that i would convert my song in itunes to AAC then i would drag them to GarageBand to edit them. So after a lot of trial and error i edited my songs in GarageBand then shared it to itunes. The 30 second clips went into their own folder and then i converted them to AAC, then they would go back into the library and i would drag them to my desktop so i could tell they were in the correct format. another thing i was doing wrong was that i was just editing my songs in GarageBand and renaming them as m4a which i found out is not the correct to do it. I was using hacktheiphone program, for me the directions was easier to follow and i had no problems once i figured out how to get the songs in the correct format. Hope this helps someone. Thanks everyone for the help!

exNavy
Jul 17, 2007, 11:23 AM
Some of us have different guides out there. If one method does not work for you then try another. Once you have gathered all the download files you need this shouldn't take you 5 mintues to put a ringtone on a phone. I've done it fast on Mac and on PC. Maybe you're reading the wrong guide if it's taking longer.

boss1
Jul 17, 2007, 12:02 PM
I'm still starring at my PPC mac and my PPC mac is staring back. It's pretty sad lol . who do we have to hunt down and press to get a universal binary version working?

TwoSyllables
Jul 17, 2007, 03:07 PM
I'm still starring at my PPC mac and my PPC mac is staring back. It's pretty sad lol . who do we have to hunt down and press to get a universal binary version working?

Ugh. Me too. I even went ahead and made some ringtones already. How lame is it that Windows users have had a way to add ringtones for DAYS already and PPC Mac users don't?

I was so excited to get an iPhone because it was going to work seamlesslessly with my computer unlike Windows Mobile devices, and now Windows users are able to do more with their iPhones than I am. So much for that theory.

Heaven forbid Apple do it themselves...

odobo
Jul 17, 2007, 04:02 PM
anyone notice the volume of the ringtone is pretty low compare to the songs in ipod mode? I have the same song in there...I even amplified the signals when I cut out the songs in audicity so I can have a louder ringtone, but still the volume is quite low compare to ipod. Anyone think there is a setting in there that might limit the volume of the ringtone or something?

billchase2
Jul 17, 2007, 04:24 PM

nooooooooo kidding. hook us PPC users up!!

exNavy
Jul 17, 2007, 05:06 PM
nooooooooo kidding. hook us PPC users up!!

We'd all love to see a developer step up to the plate and code this. You'd be a hero. There's a big crowd of people being left out of the game here. Maybe a certain someone will come through again....

tuner4life
Jul 17, 2007, 05:22 PM
im having a problem....when i start jailbreak and its looking for my iphone its giving me a message that says "USBMuxListenerCreate: No error"

anyone no what im doing wrong???

btw i am using windows

achis
Jul 17, 2007, 05:57 PM
someone please help me i'm trying to put ringtones on my iphone but cant, when i put (./jailbreak) i get this (-bash: ./jailbreak: cannot execute binary file) can anyone help me pleeeeeaaaaassse.!!!!!!
thanks!

pghjetta
Jul 17, 2007, 06:37 PM
someone please help me i'm trying to put ringtones on my iphone but cant, when i put (./jailbreak) i get this (-bash: ./jailbreak: cannot execute binary file) can anyone help me pleeeeeaaaaassse.!!!!!!
thanks!

That sounds like the infamous "you're on a PPC Mac" message. Join the club. :p

Seriously, though. I haven't seen the source code to jailbreak anywhere, and the version floating around now is unfortunately Intel-only. My only advice is "learn to love Marimba."

tuner4life
Jul 18, 2007, 06:22 PM
for the people using audacity.....what are the settings that u are changing the songs to, to make them louder but not as bass-y???

mav347
Jul 23, 2007, 08:50 PM
so I followed the instructions and have 30 new ringtones on my phone!!! No problems at all with the phone. Took about 20 min just cause I type like crap. One last thing for all those who said this phone wouldn't catch on.... Eat your words. I'am the envy of many and know of 3 ppl who are waiting for their's to ship, just cause they played with my phone for 10 Min . One last thing, I registered with mac rumors, wrote this post, and did all on my iPhone using the edge network and it took all of 5 Min to do!! Thanks again to all those who helped bring ringtones to the iPhone masses.
Mac

tooshaggy
Jul 23, 2007, 08:53 PM
Great!
I just wish us PPC folks could do ringtones.
I made a bunch for my razr with audacity.

Hollywoodsvt
Aug 6, 2007, 04:53 PM
I just downloaded this from www.iphoneringtonemaker.com

Its 10 bucks but it works like a champ, no effort whatsoever and it does exactly what it says.

Hollywoodsvt
Aug 6, 2007, 04:53 PM
Jailbreak is cool just way too much effort.

sva
Dec 6, 2007, 11:04 AM
Is there a way to get custom SMS tones? I'm so used to having CTU24 as my message tone.