PDA

View Full Version : 'Offensive' car number plate banned

BoyBach
Jul 13, 2007, 07:44 PM
Car licence plates which bear the sequence SN07 were banned from the streets of Edinburgh because they are "offensive", it has emerged.

The plate had been due to follow on from the SN56 registration in March.

Licensing officials at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) changed the plate to TN07 to avoid it being similar to the word "snot".

The change means that cars registered in the capital are the only ones in Scotland not to begin with an S.

A DVLA spokesperson said the decision to change the plates was taken to avoid offending car buyers in the capital.

She added: "It is our policy that any registration mark that can be construed as being offensive to people will be suppressed.

"In this case, the SN07 marks would have been too similar to the word 'snot' and, as that could possibly offend some buyers, they were replaced with new TN07 registrations."

BBC News Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/6897494.stm)

To quote Brian Potter: "Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans!"

What's the world (UK) coming too?

adrianblaine
Jul 13, 2007, 07:46 PM
I don't even know what to say...

mpw
Jul 13, 2007, 07:48 PM
At least PEN15 is still available :D

iMeowbot
Jul 13, 2007, 07:51 PM
I don't even know what to say...
You might think it's harmless, but it's snot.

adrianblaine
Jul 13, 2007, 07:57 PM
You might think it's harmless, but it's snot.

wow, that took me back about 15 years!

Abstract
Jul 13, 2007, 08:06 PM
I always wanted Il1llI.

They'd need more than one glance to read my plate.

mpw
Jul 13, 2007, 10:02 PM
I always wanted Il1llI.
They'd need more than one glance to read my plate.
Wouldn't they just scan it as a barcode?

MrSmith
Jul 13, 2007, 10:16 PM
The obvious question: why are the Edinburgh clan so sensitive about that word? What about everywhere else in the English speaking world?

Eraserhead
Jul 14, 2007, 02:37 PM
If they bad that think whats going to happen when they get to BO08, or SH11, or BO11OCK, or BU11SHT

I really need to get a life.

mpw
Jul 14, 2007, 02:42 PM
If they bad that think whats going to happen when they get to BO08, or SH11, or BO11OCK, or BU11SHT

I really need to get a life.

I saw "Bo08135" or something similar on a BMW 5-series a few days ago :D

I keep seeing a totally blacked-out black 7-series with "NAF 1"

...and while we're talking Reg. plates I while ago I saw a collection of Aston Martins with consecutive plates "AML 001, AML 002..." I think there were 9 in all.

LIVE UPDATE:
Literally 20mins. after this post I was passed by a red Jaguar XJS with pimped body kit and obnoxiously loud exhaust with the reg "G 5POT" :D

Ish
Jul 14, 2007, 04:03 PM
At least PEN15 is still available :D

It was banned for years though before the government decided to release a whole raft of previously banned numbers. I saw it on a black sports car once.

mpw
Jul 14, 2007, 04:04 PM
...I saw it on a black sports car once.
It must be a PEN15 that gets around a lot, cause it was on a motorbike a while ago. One of the British pro-riders was taken to court for shaving his PEN15, he took the corner off the 5.

Eraserhead
Jul 14, 2007, 07:34 PM
LIVE UPDATE:
Literally 20mins. after this post I was passed by a red Jaguar XJS with pimped body kit and obnoxiously loud exhaust with the reg "G 5POT; :D

I wonder what the probability that the driver's ever found it is :rolleyes:.

Counterfit
Jul 14, 2007, 07:41 PM
Rag on Americans for "fear of nudity" all you want, at least we can put "snot" on most of our plates. :rolleyes: (SN07 isn't a valid combination in RI, but SNOT and SNO7 are.)

Jaffa Cake
Jul 15, 2007, 09:09 AM
Rag on Americans for "fear of nudity" all you want, at least we can put "snot" on most of our plates. :rolleyes:See, here's the thing – I really can't think of anyone who would be offended by this plate. At worst, there might be the odd childish titter but I can't imagine a tidal wave of enraged Scots writing angry letters to their MPs and MSPs over this.

Lau
Jul 15, 2007, 09:36 AM
The obvious question: why are the Edinburgh clan so sensitive about that word? What about everywhere else in the English speaking world?

I assume it's more that it's a regional registration, as in SN is for new cars in some part of the Edinburgh area, and, say, GR is in Grimsby and they get GR07. ;) But I dunno.

The whole thing seems ridiculous to me. The only thing I can think of is that if they just ban anything that makes anything resembling a comedy word they won't get into discussions later whether T1T5 should be banned. But yeah, totally silly.

Jaffa Cake
Jul 15, 2007, 09:49 AM
I assume it's more that it's a regional registration, as in SN is for new cars in some part of the Edinburgh area, and, say, GR is in Grimsby and they get GR07. ;) But I dunno.I'd imagine that Grimsby will be either be covered by the Lincoln registration office, in which case their plates would begin with FR or FY, or if they're counting it as part of the old 'Humberside' area (don't get me started on that ;)) then they'll be registered at Beverley and thus carry either YV or YY. I'll leave it to your own mucky mind to see if you can get any offensive words out of those. :p

Ish
Jul 15, 2007, 10:24 AM
It must be a PEN15 that gets around a lot, cause it was on a motorbike a while ago.

I imagine it sells for a fortune. I once looked at whether 15 H was available. It was - for about 30,000 if I remember correctly. No, I didn't buy it.

dmw007
Jul 15, 2007, 10:51 AM
How could SN07 be "offensive"? :confused::rolleyes:

plinden
Jul 15, 2007, 11:04 AM
I don't think it's got anything to do with "snot" at all. It's political ... think about it - SN = "Scottish Nationalists" - and they trashed Labour at the last Scottish elections.

By the way, I lived in Northern Ireland some time ago, and one of the license plates prefixes is xAZ. So, one year it was "NAZ". I don't know if any "NAZ 1..." numbers were banned.

MrSmith
Jul 15, 2007, 11:15 AM
I assume it's more that it's a regional registration, as in SN is for new cars in some part of the Edinburgh area, and, say, GR is in Grimsby and they get GR07. ;) But I dunno.

The whole thing seems ridiculous to me. The only thing I can think of is that if they just ban anything that makes anything resembling a comedy word they won't get into discussions later whether T1T5 should be banned. But yeah, totally silly.
The regional thing would explain it, though I'm surprised this hasn't happened before in different region/rude word situations.

I've copyrighted 81G T1T5 by the way.

miloblithe
Jul 17, 2007, 10:56 PM
When I worked on a DMV software development project, I spent one fun afternoon looking through the database that automatically rejects unallowed vanity plates. I was amazed at how big the database was and how many things were not allowed. My favorite:

867 5309

MrSmith
Jul 17, 2007, 11:11 PM
867 5309
:confused:

Someone has to ask...

LethalWolfe
Jul 17, 2007, 11:18 PM
:confused:

Someone has to ask...

What, is your google finger broken. ;)

Tommy Tutone (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/867-5309/Jenny).

Lethal

MrSmith
Jul 17, 2007, 11:21 PM
:rolleyes: I tried very hard to see letters.

LethalWolfe
Jul 17, 2007, 11:24 PM
:rolleyes: I tried very hard to see letters.

ROFL :D

Lethal

MrSmith
Jul 18, 2007, 12:07 AM
ROFL :D

Lethal
K155 MA55 :D