PDA

View Full Version : iPhone headset solutiion

AJsAWiz
Jul 14, 2007, 12:06 AM
Just like the Apple earphones for iPods these are too large for my ears. They keep popping out :(
I found a solution for the iPod ear buds by attaching an "adapter" that clips over the ear bud with a rubber tip that goes in the ear. Well, I found a similar device for the iPhone headsets. I've ordered, but haven't received it yet. I expect them to work as well as the ones I use for my iPod. They can be found here:
http://www.eforcity.com/cothxxxxhsp1.html

kalamus
Jul 14, 2007, 12:25 AM
Wow nice find. I havent seen these before. I cant stand the regular Apple earbuds. Those things are huge and hurt my ears after about 30 seconds. I will pick these up and give them a try. When you get yours let us know how they work out for you!

AJsAWiz
Jul 14, 2007, 12:54 AM
Wow nice find. I havent seen these before. I cant stand the regular Apple earbuds. Those things are huge and hurt my ears after about 30 seconds. I will pick these up and give them a try. When you get yours let us know how they work out for you!

I sure will. They are supposed to ship in 1 - 3 days. ;)

megfilmworks
Jul 14, 2007, 08:44 AM
I love the apple headset but like you hate the new buds...thanks for the heads up.

brwnbooger
Jul 14, 2007, 11:14 AM
Sweet these look like they will work!!! Nice find and solution. I'm ordering now. Thanks :)

adamjohn98
Jul 14, 2007, 11:21 AM
I generally prefer silicone over foam tips on earbuds, but I just found these and thought I would share them with you. These are Comply Whoomp earbud enhancers that are compatible with the iPhone's earbuds. These use a type of memory foam that molds to your ear, and may be worth a look. However, these are quite a bit more expensive than the silicone tips from eforcity, totaling $19.99 before shipping costs.

Check them out:
http://www.hearingcomponents.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search=action&category=0141&keywords=all

AJsAWiz
Jul 14, 2007, 12:09 PM
I generally prefer silicone over foam tips on earbuds, but I just found these and thought I would share them with you. These are Comply Whoomp earbud enhancers that are compatible with the iPhone's earbuds. These use a type of memory foam that molds to your ear, and may be worth a look. However, these are quite a bit more expensive than the silicone tips from eforcity, totaling $19.99 before shipping costs.

Check them out:
http://www.hearingcomponents.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?search=action&category=0141&keywords=all

Looks nice but how do you know that they are compatible with the iPhone's ear buds? On the web site it states "Designed for iPod". I've noticed that there is a difference between some iPod ear buds and the iPhone ear buds. The ear bud "adapter" I purchased previously for the iPod ear buds do not fit the iPhone ear buds.

adamjohn98
Jul 14, 2007, 01:20 PM
Ahh good question. I'm assuming that the iPhone earbuds are the same size as the new style earbuds that ship with the iPods, and the comply website clearly states and shows that the new ipod earbuds are compatible. Either way, I've ordered a set and will let you know if they fit.

AJsAWiz
Jul 14, 2007, 01:24 PM
Ahh good question. I'm assuming that the iPhone earbuds are the same size as the new style earbuds that ship with the iPods, and the comply website clearly states and shows that the new ipod earbuds are compatible. Either way, I've ordered a set and will let you know if they fit.

Great! I'll be watching for your post :)
Thanks!

sonictonic
Jul 14, 2007, 01:31 PM
Very cool find. Thank you!

AJsAWiz
Jul 15, 2007, 04:12 PM
Here's another one that's similar. It costs a little more, comes in different colors and sizes (even though I'd only need the small).

http://www.hdaccessory.com/servlet/Detail?no=17

Now keep in mind that it doesn't say they are compatible with iPhone ear buds, just iPod. So, it may not fit. The first site I gave actually gives the diameter. I measured the iPhone ear buds and it looks like they will fit.

Maybe someone will order them and post their opinion :rolleyes:

StophMac24
Jul 15, 2007, 04:28 PM
Like many of you guys, i dont like the apple ear buds.....glad that apple gives you a pair of them with whatever you buy from them, but they fall right out of your ears when you exercise.........however, i have a solution that worked for me, and might work for you depending on your earphones. Usually, earphones come with extra rubber that is usually thicker than it needs to be and is really for look if anything. On some earphones, like the ones I purchased form the apple store (some nike ones), if you take the rubber around the pin off, they fit perfect, sound perfect and dont need an adapter:D

kalamus
Jul 17, 2007, 11:57 AM
Here's another one that's similar. It costs a little more, comes in different colors and sizes (even though I'd only need the small).

http://www.hdaccessory.com/servlet/Detail?no=17

Now keep in mind that it doesn't say they are compatible with iPhone ear buds, just iPod. So, it may not fit. The first site I gave actually gives the diameter. I measured the iPhone ear buds and it looks like they will fit.

Maybe someone will order them and post their opinion :rolleyes:

That website now shows compatible with iPhone! :apple:

Looks like I have a decision to make.

YoMamasPyjamas
Jul 17, 2007, 12:56 PM
This is EXACTLY what I need. I hate Apple's ear buds (what else is new), and was considering splurging on the Vibe Duo's, but was turned off by the lack of the click-button functionality, plus I already have Shure e2c's so it seemed like a possible waste to spend $100 for new iPhone earphones. These tips, if they fit right, are right up my alley. And if better quality earphones with the a good microphone/click-button functionality arrive down the road, I'm golden!

Anyone who gets any of these, please post your thoughts in here. I'm excited to see how they work and if the Apple buds still hurt your ears even with the attachments on.

Peter Kim
Jul 17, 2007, 02:47 PM
I picked up a set of Griffin Earjams (http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-4039-EJAM-EarJam-Enhancing/dp/B0006Q7FFG) last week from Amazon. I found that the sound quality is definitely worse. The bass is too heavy, mid-tones are boxy, and the high end is diminished. Turning on the "treble booster" EQ helps but it's definitely not an ideal solution. But at least they stay in my ears now!

They'll tide me over until Shure releases their iPhone adapter next month. Does anyone have anymore info on those? I wonder how they'll work with my E4C's long cord.

AJsAWiz
Jul 18, 2007, 12:05 AM
That website now shows compatible with iPhone! :apple:

Looks like I have a decision to make.

You're right! The ones I ordered (from the first source I listed) have shipped and I expect to get them soon. I do like the colors on this site. I may order them as well. I have a lot of apple ear buds (from previous iPods) that don't fit my ears so I could probably use the extras :rolleyes:

AJsAWiz
Jul 18, 2007, 12:07 AM
I picked up a set of Griffin Earjams (http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-4039-EJAM-EarJam-Enhancing/dp/B0006Q7FFG) last week from Amazon. I found that the sound quality is definitely worse. The bass is too heavy, mid-tones are boxy, and the high end is diminished. Turning on the "treble booster" EQ helps but it's definitely not an ideal solution. But at least they stay in my ears now!

They'll tide me over until Shure releases their iPhone adapter next month. Does anyone have anymore info on those? I wonder how they'll work with my E4C's long cord.

I use Griffin's Ear Jams with one set of iPod ear buds and they're terrific. Tried them with my iPhone ear buds but they did not fit.

kalamus
Jul 18, 2007, 05:29 PM
I sure will. They are supposed to ship in 1 - 3 days. ;)

You get shipping info on these yet? I ordered them yesterday and I cant even track them yet on the site.

AJsAWiz
Jul 19, 2007, 04:54 PM
You get shipping info on these yet? I ordered them yesterday and I cant even track them yet on the site.

Yep! :cool:

Subject: Shipping confirmation for invoice XXXXXXX
Date: July 17, 2007 11:54:38 AM EDT
Thank you for your recent purchase from Eforcity.

Your order XXXXXXX has already been processed and shipped via USPS. Orders usually arrive in 4-14 business days of the ship date, but delivery may take longer in some cases, depending on US Postal Service's delivery schedule. Due to the holiday seasons, your delivery may be slightly delayed by US Postal Service.

The package will be delivered to:

Item Num Description Qty RefNum
COTHXXXXHSP1 Universal Headset Earbud Pad Set , White 2 N/A

AJsAWiz
Jul 20, 2007, 02:15 PM

Oh, if you provided your email address when you placed the order they should contact you by email on your order :rolleyes:

kalamus
Jul 20, 2007, 04:32 PM
Yea I got my e-mail but 4-14 days is a pretty broad range. :mad: Pony Express back in business! Lucky I have patience.

AJsAWiz
Jul 20, 2007, 06:01 PM
Yea I got my e-mail but 4-14 days is a pretty broad range. :mad: Pony Express back in business! Lucky I have patience.

I think they use that 14 day window so you won't complain about it not being received when promised. Sort of like how restaurants take your name, give you a 30 minute wait estimate then seat you in far less time ;)

Anyway, the postal service seems to be pretty speedy most of the time (well, that's been my experience). I usually receive postal mail or packages within a week when mailed anywhere in the U.S.

SheepNutz
Jul 20, 2007, 11:00 PM
I got around to buying a set of the JVC Marshmallow earphones, now I just need to take the time to solder them onto the iPhone wires/mic.

AJsAWiz
Jul 21, 2007, 02:19 PM

The eforcity ear bud covers just arrived. Three different sizes (small, medium, large) come in each package. First I tried the small but not a good fit. Then I jumped to the large, okay but not the best. Lastly, I tried the medium, better fit and the ear buds stayed in my tiny ear canal. Now, even though they fit and are worth the price I paid they are not as snug as I'd like. I'll keep looking for something that has a more snug fit. Meanwhile I use these. It beats having the buds constantly falling out of my ears.
Griffin's Ear Jams were PERFECT with my iPod ear buds but don't fit the ear buds for the iPhone. I'd love to find something similar to Griffin's Ear Jams for the iPhone buds. I'll keep looking. ;)

AJsAWiz
Jul 21, 2007, 02:23 PM

Eagerly awaiting your review :rolleyes: I would like to try these next. I noticed that they come in different sizes. I'd have no clue which size to order. Fortunately the ones I received today included 3 sizes so I could try them all for the best fit.

AJsAWiz
Jul 21, 2007, 02:25 PM
I got around to buying a set of the JVC Marshmallow earphones, now I just need to take the time to solder them onto the iPhone wires/mic.

I have those! I use them with my iPods and other portable devices. They have a nice cushiony feel and fit well :D

mkrishnan
Jul 21, 2007, 02:30 PM
Griffin's Ear Jams were PERFECT with my iPod ear buds but don't fit the ear buds for the iPhone. I'd love to find something similar to Griffin's Ear Jams for the iPhone buds. I'll keep looking. ;)

It might be worth it for some of you iPhone owners who want this to contact Griffin and let them know. They've been very nice when I contacted them before. They might even be working on an adaptation already. :)

AJsAWiz
Jul 21, 2007, 02:40 PM

Did you try these with your iPhone buds? I went here:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/earjams/
And every Apple portable audio device is on their compatibility list EXCEPT the iPhone :confused:

mcdj
Jul 23, 2007, 12:22 AM
Did you try these with your iPhone buds? I went here:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/earjams/
And every Apple portable audio device is on their compatibility list EXCEPT the iPhone :confused:

I'm *pretty* sure this is just a matter of Griffin not updating the Ear Jam page in the post-iPhone era. The latest package of Ear Jams contain 2 sets of white covers (not the silicone tips)...one for the old iPod earbuds, and one for the more recent ones that began shipping with the 2G Nano (I think that's when they came out). And AFAIK, the newer buds are identical in size and shape to the iPhone buds. Sooo...if you have an older set of Ear Jams, they won't fit the iPhone/newer iPod buds, but if you go out and buy a brand new set of Ear Jams, you should be in business. Phew.

AJsAWiz
Jul 23, 2007, 03:11 PM
I'm *pretty* sure this is just a matter of Griffin not updating the Ear Jam page in the post-iPhone era. The latest package of Ear Jams contain 2 sets of white covers (not the silicone tips)...one for the old iPod earbuds, and one for the more recent ones that began shipping with the 2G Nano (I think that's when they came out). And AFAIK, the newer buds are identical in size and shape to the iPhone buds. Sooo...if you have an older set of Ear Jams, they won't fit the iPhone/newer iPod buds, but if you go out and buy a brand new set of Ear Jams, you should be in business. Phew.

Griffin's response:
Hello,

There is no definite word that the EarJams will be made compatible with the iPhone, but if they are updated, they will be posted here: http://www.griffintechnology.com/devices/iphone/

Regards,

JR

Griffin Technology
Support Technician

Jocko
Jul 23, 2007, 07:41 PM
Hi guys. I decided to give the product from the OP a try. I got them today and the experience prompted me to finally create a forum account so I could share my info.

Those ibuds do NOT fit the iPhone headphones. They are too big and fall off. Sorry. I'm seriously considering switching back to my old iPod (for music listening purposed) until some suitable solution for the headphones comes out. I'm so fed up with the stock ear buds.

jvanlee1
Jul 23, 2007, 09:04 PM

I got my EarJams at Staples. Be sure to get the package that says "Works with old and new Apple earbuds." They have transition tubes for both type earbuds.

AJsAWiz
Jul 24, 2007, 04:17 PM
I got my EarJams at Staples. Be sure to get the package that says "Works with old and new Apple earbuds." They have transition tubes for both type earbuds.

I've already contacted Griffin's tech support. None of the Ear Jams are compatible with iPhone ear buds. I have a pair I use with my iPod and they don't fit the iPhone ear buds.

AJsAWiz
Jul 24, 2007, 04:23 PM
Hi guys. I decided to give the product from the OP a try. I got them today and the experience prompted me to finally create a forum account so I could share my info.

Those ibuds do NOT fit the iPhone headphones. They are too big and fall off. Sorry. I'm seriously considering switching back to my old iPod (for music listening purposed) until some suitable solution for the headphones comes out. I'm so fed up with the stock ear buds.

Irritating, isn't it? :mad: Actually, even though they are a little loose, I got mine to stay on. Not a great fit but it will work till I find something better. Meanwhile I'll probably use the extras with my iPod ear buds . . . and I have a lot of those. LOL Someone, here posted an alternative. I'm waiting on their review :rolleyes:

MACsimus19
Jul 24, 2007, 04:47 PM
Irritating, isn't it? :mad: Actually, even though they are a little loose, I got mine to stay on. Not a great fit but it will work till I find something better. Meanwhile I'll probably use the extras with my iPod ear buds . . . and I have a lot of those. LOL Someone, here posted an alternative. I'm waiting on their review :rolleyes:

I purchased a new set of EarJams and they work perfectly fine with the iPhone...sound isn't great-especially compared to my E4's but with the Bass reducer EQ setting they are much better. Best of all, they stay in my ear!

Really curious to see if the bluetooth headset would actually stay put or if its prone to the same slippage. There's always a silicone cover for it I suppose.

AJsAWiz
Jul 24, 2007, 11:02 PM
I purchased a new set of EarJams and they work perfectly fine with the iPhone...sound isn't great-especially compared to my E4's but with the Bass reducer EQ setting they are much better. Best of all, they stay in my ear!

Really curious to see if the bluetooth headset would actually stay put or if its prone to the same slippage. There's always a silicone cover for it I suppose.

I planned on swinging by the Apple Store tomorrow to check out the Bluetooth headset. I, too, was curious about the "bud" part staying in my ear.

Where did you buy your Ear Jams and how much did you pay for them?

adamjohn98
Jul 24, 2007, 11:38 PM
Comply Whoomp! Mixed (2 slim 2 regular) First Impressions:

Tips are squishy memory foam that will quickly gather earwax if you don't clean your ears often.

They fit the iPhone earbuds quite well and therefore do not fall off easily.

Neither pair fit in my ear, but this is not due to the foam tips, but rather due to the thick rubber material used to hold the enhancer to the earbud. Because of this, my ears start to hurt immediately when I insert them. However, this may not be a problem for everyone, as I had a friend of mine try them and he experienced no discomfort.

Sound quality with these is actually quite good, only muffling the sound a tiny bit (something that was fixed by turning on the acoustic or treble booster EQ)

I also purchased the ibuds from hdaccessory.com and I have to say that the ibuds fit perfectly in my ears. However, the sound quality of them is far below the Whoomp enhancers. The ibuds muffle and weaken the sound much more.

So, I basically need a product with the fit of the ibuds and the sound quality of the Whoomp enhancers. I am keeping both as of now to do further testing.

destroyer4
Jul 25, 2007, 07:01 AM
I received these the other day. Yes they are cheap, but they are also very soft and fall off easy. You get what you pay for. Might try the belkin ones.

AJsAWiz
Jul 25, 2007, 01:29 PM
Comply Whoomp! Mixed (2 slim 2 regular) First Impressions:

Tips are squishy memory foam that will quickly gather earwax if you don't clean your ears often.

They fit the iPhone earbuds quite well and therefore do not fall off easily.

Neither pair fit in my ear, but this is not due to the foam tips, but rather due to the thick rubber material used to hold the enhancer to the earbud. Because of this, my ears start to hurt immediately when I insert them. However, this may not be a problem for everyone, as I had a friend of mine try them and he experienced no discomfort.

Sound quality with these is actually quite good, only muffling the sound a tiny bit (something that was fixed by turning on the acoustic or treble booster EQ)

I also purchased the ibuds from hdaccessory.com and I have to say that the ibuds fit perfectly in my ears. However, the sound quality of them is far below the Whoomp enhancers. The ibuds muffle and weaken the sound much more.

So, I basically need a product with the fit of the ibuds and the sound quality of the Whoomp enhancers. I am keeping both as of now to do further testing.

Thanks for posting your well thought out review :)
Perhaps, through trial and error, we will find the perfect solutionl. It helps when others post their experience with different products here.

I went to the Apple Store again today to voice my displeasure with the iPhone ear buds one-size-does-not-fit-all construction. A Genius I knew gave me 2 pair of those foam pads that fit over iPod buds. I used that under the ibuds (which others have complained about) I ordered. And voila . . . they are now a much better, snug fit (somewhat loose before). I've had them in a few hours and they have not popped out. They are comfortable and I feel like I have almost nothing in my ears. I'll continue to look, though for other solutions.

AJsAWiz
Jul 25, 2007, 01:30 PM
I received these the other day. Yes they are cheap, but they are also very soft and fall off easy. You get what you pay for. Might try the belkin ones.

If you were going to throw them away I'll take them :D

AJsAWiz
Jul 25, 2007, 01:37 PM
Before the Mac Genius came up with a partial solution they offered me the Plaintronics (sp?) head set which came with a 3.5 mm plug as required by the iPhone. I bought and tried them in the store. The head set fit comfortably but no sound! The mute was off and volume turned up to the max but still nothing. They couldn't get them to work either. This was surprising since the package specified iPhone compatibility.
My next stop was Radio Shack where I tried a very comfortable head set that came with a 3.5 mm adapter. Same as in the Apple Store . . . no sound. I think the manager found the problem. Even with the adapter the plug had 2 rings (on the plug) but the iPhone head set plug clearly has 3 rings. So, it looks like you need a 3.5 mm adapter with 3 rings and not 2.
If anyone has one of those adapters, that works, you can check out this 2/3 ring theory. Meanwhile I'll try to find one and try it myself ;)

AJsAWiz
Jul 25, 2007, 04:18 PM
Yep, this works the best so far ;)

Here's what I did:
1) Purchased an iPhone TTYT Adapter from the Apple Store (also available at the Apple Store online)

2) Purchased a Body Glove head set from RadioShack
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2658654&cp=2032052.2032075.2032076.2032085&pg=1&retainProdsInSession=1&numProdsPerPage=100&parentPage=family

3)Put the TTY Apple adapter on the Body Glove head set then plugged it into the iPhone.

The head set fits (YES, inside my tiny ear canal). I can make and receive calls with this set up. AND the "pause" button on the Body Glove head set works just like Apple's as far as pausing the music while you take or make calls.

No one at the Apple Store knew about this set up working. The manager at RadioShack helped me on this one! :D He figured out the problem with the other 3.5 mm adapters. They only had 2 rings on the plug vs the 2 rings on Apple's headset. I knew about the TTY iPhone adapter which had the 3 rings! So I put the 2 (my idea and the RadioShack manager) together and it worked. Woo Hoo!

AJsAWiz
Jul 25, 2007, 04:39 PM
On the set up I just posted . . . sound only comes out of the right bud. So, no stereo but everything else works so I'm satisfied.

I imagine that the Apple TTY adapter will work with any head set you select that will fit your ears :cool:

Lodoss
Jul 25, 2007, 04:54 PM
I just placed an order for one of these
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=DB861236&nplm=TN544LL/A

Here's a review of the adapter
http://iphone.macworld.com/2007/07/handson_with_shure_music_phone_1.php

AJsAWiz
Jul 25, 2007, 08:58 PM
I just placed an order for one of these
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=DB861236&nplm=TN544LL/A

Here's a review of the adapter
http://iphone.macworld.com/2007/07/handson_with_shure_music_phone_1.php

I heard about that :) Now that has to be the best solution posted here!
Shure is a company that produces quality merchandise so I know these will work as advertised. Please come back and tell us what you think.
Also, thanks for posting the review as well :D

BTW, I can't tell by looking at the picture so could you please let me know how many "rings" are on the plug end of this thing?
Just curious . . . to see if my theory has some truth in it.

Bressler
Jul 25, 2007, 10:40 PM
the other ring is for the mic

Lodoss
Jul 26, 2007, 06:53 AM
Sure thing it shipped out yesterday and should be here on Tuesday. One other thing I had the v-moda duo's and they had 3 rings on the plug as well so your theory could be correct.

AJsAWiz
Jul 26, 2007, 02:33 PM
Sure thing it shipped out yesterday and should be here on Tuesday. One other thing I had the v-moda duo's and they had 3 rings on the plug as well so your theory could be correct.

Great! I'll watch for your post next week ;)

destroyer4
Jul 26, 2007, 04:19 PM
Just for the record, these do not fit on the apple bluetooth. I tried. :-(

AJsAWiz
Jul 26, 2007, 10:13 PM

What doesn't "fit" on Apple bluetooth? How does something "fit" on bluetooth? :confused:

AJsAWiz
Jul 26, 2007, 10:50 PM

Oh . . . wait a minute . . . did you mean that something mentioned here does not fit on the ear piece of Apple's bluetooth headset?

climr
Aug 2, 2007, 08:31 PM
I'm curious to see what you guys think of these as far as sound quality goes. I tried a set and found they greatly helped bass response, but seemed to muffle the mids/highs quite a bit. This was actually my last ditch effort before I gave up and started making my own!

Brad
www.ultimatebuds.com

AJsAWiz
Aug 3, 2007, 03:00 PM
I'm curious to see what you guys think of these as far as sound quality goes. I tried a set and found they greatly helped bass response, but seemed to muffle the mids/highs quite a bit. This was actually my last ditch effort before I gave up and started making my own!

Brad
www.ultimatebuds.com

Now those look NICE . . . pricey but nice. I would LOVE to see a review from someone who purchases them here.