PDA

View Full Version : buy.com mocks and copies ITMS ads.

medea
Jul 22, 2003, 07:49 PM
http://www.buymusic.com/

In the first one Tommy Lee bashes a guitar that is almost identical to the one apple uses on it's site, the others have people singing along to songs just like the itms ones.

didn't see this posted anywhere, if I'm wrong I'm sorry.

medea
Jul 22, 2003, 07:49 PM
a rabbi eh?

edit>there was supposed to be a pic in this post, but somehow it has disappeared. hmmm.....

tazo
Jul 22, 2003, 08:10 PM
seems ok. I may buy like 3 songs...just to try it out.

NavyIntel007
Jul 22, 2003, 08:27 PM
Don't buy anything from them !!!!!!

tazo
Jul 22, 2003, 09:18 PM
i wish i had seen the ^ post earlier.

I got screwed by the buymusic.com service.

charges to my card. no music. no way of contacting them.

get on irc for the full story...

Rower_CPU
Jul 22, 2003, 11:48 PM
There's another thread, but the title is misleading:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32895

Nebrie
Jul 23, 2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by tazo
i wish i had seen the ^ post earlier.

I got screwed by the buymusic.com service.

charges to my card. no music. no way of contacting them.

get on irc for the full story...

Contest the charge with your CC Company.

jbomber
Jul 23, 2003, 01:41 AM
what a bunch of wankers. rush to market with a ****** product. hopefully apple will drop a lawsuit on them right before they totally fade into obscurity...

wankers.

jazzman45
Jul 23, 2003, 10:52 AM
If a parody isn't funny...does that constitute copyright infringement? They have "training videos" which seem like a copy of Steve Job's intro speech on iTMS. The only difference is, it's a girl (sex appeal) and talks down to the audience (customer is an idiot). This site sucks, boycott it!

ExoticFish
Jul 23, 2003, 11:54 AM
not only are those commercials rip offs of the apple commercials, but they suck big time! plus i love how they say that songs are from $.79 and on the training video they only show songs for $.99. what a bunch of wankers. plus, just the fact that different songs have different DRM attached so that some songs you will be able to record to cd and other you can't... just a bunch of crap.

Macmaniac
Jul 23, 2003, 12:04 PM
I'm utterly appaled, its such a huge ripoff!!! Sue them Apple!

Jesus on OSX
Jul 23, 2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by jazzman45 This site sucks, boycott it!

Suggesting to boycott BuyMusic.com is futile and waste of precious time.

You cannot kill something that's dead on arrival.

RichP
Jul 23, 2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Jesus on OSX
Suggesting to boycott BuyMusic.com is futile and waste of precious time.

You cannot kill something that's dead on arrival.

well said...look at this..they have to take cheap shots at apple, have a crap site, offering crap service..

And what,those people think that huge hard drive thing they are holding is even in the same league as an ipod?!? im curious to see how this plays out.

Laslo Panaflex
Jul 23, 2003, 01:16 PM
When I watched the commercials and looked at the site, it made me want to throw up. It is such a blatant rip off it should be illegal. All I can say is that buymusic must really be jelous and know that ITMS kicks ass and works, becuase they tried to copy it in every aspect. All I know is that the first training video takes 1 1/2 minutes to explain the system requiremets, with ITMS it takes 1 second "a mac". And the second video emphasizes that they need a DRM compliant portable device like 20 times! (exageration) how many people are going to buy a song and not be able to transfer to their cprappy non ipods? alot.

Well I can't wait to see them go down, because in my opinion, it is easier to use Kazaa than it is to use buymusic. ITMS is the best solution, it works so well and its real easy, but I don't have to comvice many people on this board (if any) of that.

Peas.

acj
Jul 23, 2003, 01:27 PM
Apple mocked intel commercials, was that worth sueing?. The iTMS commercials were not that great. They too are worth mocking. Previous threads agreed.

Rower_CPU
Jul 23, 2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by acj
Apple mocked intel commercials. The Apple commercials sucked. They are worth mocking. Previous threads agreed.

OK, where do you see the mockery?

All I see is blatant imitation.

acj
Jul 23, 2003, 01:37 PM
Regardless of the obvious poor quality of their service, I think their commercials are more effective than Apples. Imitation or mockery, it's a great technique. The flaming intel dancers was great too.

solvs
Jul 23, 2003, 02:12 PM
Remember the Gateway Profile ads aimed at the iMac? Same concept, doomed to failure. Most of these types of commercials don't work well.

Apple mocked the stupid Intel commercials, and slammed Windows with a bunch of "true" stories. BuyMusic blantantly ripped off Apple in several instances, then the CEO makes these comments to everyone who will listen. If BuyMusic is anything like Buy.com, I (and others with the same bad shopping experiances) will not be using it.

They are desperate, and are sinking everything they have in this. Doomed to failure.

edit: BTW, when I saw the ads, I too thought they were for Apple. I hope others don't have the same impression. Go to BuyMusic, think they are Apple related, get screwed, blame Apple.

I hope Apple slams them right back.

Rower_CPU
Jul 23, 2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by acj
Regardless of the obvious poor quality of their service, I think their commercials are more effective than Apples. Imitation or mockery, it's a great technique. The flaming intel dancers was great too.

There's a distinct difference between imitate/copy and mock/parody that I'm not sure that you're getting.

In the Intel ads, Apple poked fun at Intel's commercials by burning the dancing chip fab guys, or strapping a P3 on a snail. Similarly, Gateway poked fun at the FP iMac commercial by having their all-in-one flip around.

The Buymusic.com commercials do not poke fun, but rather copy the exact format - the only difference is that they use multiple people singing a song, where Apple used only one. Is this a mockery of Apple's service being limited to only Macs users (for now)? Maybe, but it's not clear.

acj
Jul 23, 2003, 06:22 PM
Rower_CPU: My intention with my previous post was to say, "Oh, you are right, it IS more like imitation, however either imitation or mockery can be effective.

I agree that this is a bad service and may fail! I'm just saying, from an advertising perspective, they did a great job as far as efectiveness, obviously not originality.

Rower_CPU
Jul 23, 2003, 06:25 PM
OK, so how do you see them being "more effective"?

acj
Jul 23, 2003, 08:25 PM
When an ad appears to be educating the masses about a seemingly comparable product previously unavailable to the masses, for cheaper, it is effective.

My oppinion.

LimeiBook86
Jul 23, 2003, 09:03 PM
i am really mad, I saw the add thinking it was an appel ad until I saw the text, this is really low, very stupid of buymusic.com I hope apple sues the pants off them BWHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :mad:

MacFan25
Jul 23, 2003, 09:23 PM
I think its quite sad that they can't even come up with their own ads. The front page of the story even looks similar to iTMS. :rolleyes:

LimeiBook86
Jul 23, 2003, 09:25 PM
Damn right:rolleyes: :D :cool:

mwpeters8182
Jul 24, 2003, 06:32 AM
It looks like even the price is similar to iTMS -- while poking around the site, I found that most stuff is $0.99, not $0.79... so we aren't paying anything extra for the less DRM.

medea
Jul 24, 2003, 10:01 PM
Hah, I just saw the Tommy Lee ad on the tele and it's even worse than I thought, the editing is totally off.
In the first scene Tommy Lee obliterates the guitar with one smash, yet when the camera cuts back to him he is jumping on the whole body of the guitar..... :rolleyes:

I wonder how many guitars they wasted on this crap.

Rower_CPU
Jul 24, 2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by medea
Hah, I just saw the Tommy Lee ad on the tele and it's even worse than I thought, the editing is totally off.
In the first scene Tommy Lee obliterates the guitar with one smash, yet when the camera cuts back to him he is jumping on the whole body of the guitar..... :rolleyes:

I wonder how many guitars they wasted on this crap.

Not to mention that the sole purpose of the ad is to poke fun at Apple. Most people won't even get the reference and just think it's Lee acting the ass...

I can't wait for Jobs to rip into them the next chance he gets - maybe Apple Expo Paris. :)

MrMacMan
Jul 25, 2003, 01:04 AM
Someone send a letter to apple legal.

SUCH utter bull.

Totally copying.

ollywilson2003
Jul 27, 2003, 11:03 PM
[i]I can't wait for Jobs to rip into them the next chance he gets - maybe Apple Expo Paris. :) [/B]

Heheheh me either

Mercury
Jul 28, 2003, 12:01 AM
Ugh, what loads of crap. I saw the commercial, recognized the guitar, and then proceeded to vomit my innards all over my khakis and remote controls.

It's not as if anyone will get the reference-the iTMS isn't even a competitor yet. I love how the buymusic.com won't even let you look at their stuff if you're on a mac, you have to trick it into working for you.

jadariv
Jul 28, 2003, 01:01 PM
I think buy.com is making some big mistakes here.

1. The itunes music store, right now, is available on macs in the U.S.. And if i am right, can't remember, Itunes 4 is only on OS X. How many users can that be? Buy.com is attacking something that is available to a very small portion of computer users. Actually, the people they are trying to get, i would guess, don't watch Steve Jobs addresses, or even care or even know about anything apple does.

There are always exceptions to the rule. But do you think that all the PC users out there care about the Apple or Itunes, and on that end whether or not it is coming to the PC? Buy.com is wasting their advertising money on stupid commercials mocking apple that anybody outside the mac community (about 90% of computer users) are not even going to get. DUH.

They should be touting their service as the first on the PC and act like ITMS doesn't even exist. Instead, they are helping let people know that there is another possibly better alternative.

2. Any company that restricts users to their product is going to fail. I mean, cmon, you have to have internet explorer on a pc. If I was trying to sell something on the internet, i would make sure every browser (down to shareware and freeware browsers) and all operating systems were catered to. That way you get the most users to buy from you.

This is definitely destined to fail.

G4scott
Jul 28, 2003, 03:34 PM
Don't know if there's another thread about this, but I thought it was funny.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2003-07-28-buymusic_x.htm

Apparently, the music won't play on supported digital music players.

They also say that their figures for their first week of business are not in the millions, while Apple had over 1 million their first week...

EAT IT MR. BLUM :mad: :mad: :p :D :cool:

Huked on Fonick
Jul 28, 2003, 03:55 PM
[i]
I can't wait for Jobs to rip into them the next chance he gets - maybe Apple Expo Paris. :) [/B]

If there still around then........

DakotaGuy
Jul 28, 2003, 06:39 PM
Apple gets copied again. Imagine that. You know it's funny all the people over the years that have predicted doom for Apple, Inc. Yet they are the most copied company in the tech business. There are so many examples of Apple's ideas and even commercials getting copied, (ie Gateway Profile) it makes me sick. Apple is the only orginal company out there it seems.

mwpeters8182
Jul 28, 2003, 07:58 PM
My dad was looking at the buymusic.com (some people must stick to the windows platform, i guess.) He was looking at some songs, and they cost 1.19!!! That's 40 cents more than the "starting at" price. Once again, iTMS comes out on top. I'd rather all at .99 than a few at .79 and more at 1.19

MP

idea_hamster
Aug 18, 2003, 02:07 PM
This quote from the article that G4Scott referenced says it all for me:

"BuyMusic.com's tech support staff was of little help when contacted Thursday. An e-mail response read: 'We are unable to provide technical assistance after you have downloaded the music ... to your primary computer. In addition, we are unable to credit you back for failed or damaged copies once you have successfully downloaded the music.'"

What kind of "service" is that? I've never heard of anything so unresponsive from anyone -- not the Post Office, not *anyone*. It's not even clear to me that this complies with New York's anti-gambling law: If you're paying money for the *chance* of getting a song, doesn't that sound like some sort of virtual slot machine?