PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with my iMac G3?

Luigi239
Jul 15, 2007, 12:26 PM
Hey everybody, I have an old iMac g3 that I got off of ebay for 20$. (I did local pickup) It's an indigo with a 6gb hdd, 333mhz with 64mb of ram. (tray loader) It's in near perfect condition, and works perfectly.

Although it boots OS 9 great, I have no use for OS 9 at all. Do you think this machine could handle Panther? I was thinking of upgrading the ram to at least 256, and probably higher. (Whats the most ram these Rev D tray loaders can handle?) I was also thinking about upgrading the HDD with a faster one. The space isn't the issue, but didn't all the iMacs use slow 4200rpm drives? Is there anything else I should upgrade before putting panther on?

Also, where is the best place to buy ram? Crucial seems expensive, and only goes up to 256mb. Will 3d party ram work ok? I found a few knockoffs online that were cheap, and as long as they work, I don't care the brand. Also, where can I buy a cheap, 5200 or 7500rpm hdd?

CRAZYBUBBA
Jul 15, 2007, 12:35 PM
Hi. I hate to tell you this, but the max ram is 512 on those models. (IIRC)

I have a 350mhz imac g3. I put in a 80 gb 7200 rpm HD and its very quiet and efficent. I also upped the ram to 1 gb (max on my model). Panther runs great.

Luigi239
Jul 15, 2007, 12:43 PM
Hi. I hate to tell you this, but the max ram is 512 on those models. (IIRC)

I have a 350mhz imac g3. I put in a 80 gb 7200 rpm HD and its very quiet and efficent. I also upped the ram to 1 gb (max on my model). Panther runs great.

That's good to hear. I was planning on spending 30$ to get a 256mb stick. That and the 64mb stick would be 320mb, which should be good enough for just word, adium, and camino. Then I can eventually upgrade the ram to the max when I get the money.

hatchet92882
Jul 15, 2007, 01:16 PM
you must of baught yous from the same one i baught mine from. I paid 20 also. mine is a 333 256, 6g hd and running panther, altho a little glitchy it don't do half bad.

Luigi239
Jul 15, 2007, 02:38 PM
you must of baught yous from the same one i baught mine from. I paid 20 also. mine is a 333 256, 6g hd and running panther, altho a little glitchy it don't do half bad.

Heh, no, I live around Baltimore, and unless you flew out from Kentucky, I doubt we bought it from the same person. ;)

What are the glitches that you have experienced? What are the load times like? I'm just trying to figure out if upgrading this is worth the 80$.

Thanks!

hatchet92882
Jul 15, 2007, 04:52 PM
well, i use mine for internet, e-mail. I dunno if its firefox but the internet is glitchy, don't even try myspace, lol. i love the look of the g3 but man are they SLOW!!!

Luigi239
Jul 15, 2007, 05:40 PM
well, i use mine for internet, e-mail. I dunno if its firefox but the internet is glitchy, don't even try myspace, lol. i love the look of the g3 but man are they SLOW!!!

Er...now you're scarring me. :P I want it to be usable, but also don't want to have to wait 10min. for a web page to come up.

Do you really think its worth the 80$ im going to spend on it?

Macky-Mac
Jul 15, 2007, 05:55 PM
I used panther on my G3 400 imac for almost a year. When online, the speed certainly was acceptable and wasn't much of a factor in my desicison to upgrade to a G5 imac a couple of years ago.

Definitely max out the ram and use an external HD if you need more storage space, that's my suggestion

Luigi239
Jul 15, 2007, 06:58 PM
I used panther on my G3 400 imac for almost a year. When online, the speed certainly was acceptable and wasn't much of a factor in my desicison to upgrade to a G5 imac a couple of years ago.

Definitely max out the ram and use an external HD if you need more storage space, that's my suggestion

Allright, well that makes me feel better.

I only plan on using this for internet, so storage should not be an issue. I have an external, but I'm not sure I would want to use it, cause this iMac only has USB 1.1, which is way to slow.

Thanks for all the responses! I plan on buying the 256mb ram stick tonight, and Panther shortly after. (If anybody has a copy of panther for sale...drop me a PM or look at my thread in the marketplace)

gamerz
Jul 15, 2007, 08:30 PM
make it a fishtank :p.

Jk,

What you really should do with it is find out how to mod it somehow.

booksacool1
Jul 15, 2007, 08:34 PM

Jk,

What you really should do with it is find out how to mod it somehow.

It would be fun trying to seal all the vents... good luck.
Otherwise use it as a fileserver? Some lanbox?
Those machines are too old to have any real use.

ktbubster
Jul 15, 2007, 08:47 PM
If you like the look... do what I plan on doing (in the next few months)

Wait a while until you can afford some better internal parts and use the casing for a kick ass machine. I plan on taking a low end mini i got for cheap a bit and putting it into a imac casing. Apparently a few people have done this and it's possibe with a little fanagling to get the current monitor plugged into it with an adapter or two and mounting it so the drive is usable.

I have to say that is gonna be a joyous project once I get around to it :)

A little more costly then your 80 dollars and I know you don't actually NEED it for anything intensive, but, it could be fun :)

I really loved my old green imac I had. THAT was an AWESOME machine. hehe.

I think your happy little g3 machine will be more then enough for what you need it for after updating the ram though. Goodluck!

hatchet92882
Jul 15, 2007, 09:44 PM
Er...now you're scarring me. :P I want it to be usable, but also don't want to have to wait 10min. for a web page to come up.

Do you really think its worth the 80$ im going to spend on it?

don't get me wrong i love my computer but with it being a "old" mac there really isn't much to do with it. This for me is my feeler mac, i've never owned one and i have to say i love it, my beautiful wife is letting me have some tax money and i'm getting a mini or g4 imac, haven't decided. anything you put in there is going to be better than what it has, worth 80??? thats your call. I dunno what is making it so slow, bet those adds on the side take a while, yahoo mail takes a min, if you don;t mind waiting. Anyways good luck on whatever you decide to do

Luigi239
Jul 15, 2007, 10:54 PM
Thanks everybody for your replies. I think I'm going to go ahead and spend the money...except after opening the case to see how much ram is in it, it won't turn on...hense my new thread. (please don't be a fried logic board)

Gahhh!

brop52
Jul 15, 2007, 11:44 PM
Thanks everybody for your replies. I think I'm going to go ahead and spend the money...except after opening the case to see how much ram is in it, it won't turn on...hense my new thread. (please don't be a fried logic board)

Gahhh!

This is why you need an anti-static wrist band.

Luigi239
Jul 15, 2007, 11:46 PM
This is why you need an anti-static wrist band.

Didn't have one at the time, but I made sure to discharge all of my static several times. I also worked on a concrete floor, not carpet to make sure nothing would happen.

Luigi239
Jul 16, 2007, 05:51 PM
After re-seating the processor card, the iMac now works fine again. I'm going to buy panther and the ram tonight. Thanks again for the input...when I'm done it should be a great little machine.

Royale w/cheese
Jul 17, 2007, 05:12 AM

Ha, I knew I was going to be beat posting this. The mod with the mac mini would be pretty cool though.

DoFoT9
Jul 17, 2007, 05:39 AM
fileserver!!!! hook a few external firewire drives, put in a big internal drive and your laughing... thats what id do.

seems a bit old but it can run tiger, i have a g3 imac dv and it runs it fine.

Duke Mac
Jul 19, 2007, 10:02 AM
Hello,
You might not want to spend the money but there is a
$99 G4 processor upgrade for tray loading iMacs from Daystar.

XLR8 400 MAChSpeed G4 iMac
http://daystar-store.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=337

Cosmoza
Jul 20, 2007, 01:45 AM
Amazingly the latest Tiger (10.4.10) runs about 22% faster compared maxed 10.3.9 on my G3 350Mhz iMac. At the moment have 576mb memory only (trying to locate cheap 512mb module) and 60Gb maxtor hd. Have to install the Tiger using Xpostfacto naturally.

Royale w/cheese
Jul 20, 2007, 01:55 AM
Amazingly the latest Tiger (10.4.10) runs about 22% faster compared maxed 10.3.9 on my G3 350Mhz iMac. At the moment have 576mb memory only (trying to locate cheap 512mb module) and 60Gb maxtor hd. Have to install the Tiger using Xpostfacto naturally.

Why did you have to use Xpostfacto to install?

Cosmoza
Jul 20, 2007, 02:20 AM
Why did you have to use Xpostfacto to install?

Tiger 10.4 installs to Mac's with Firewire only. G3 350Mhz blueberry don't have firewire connector, so only way to install Tiger is using Xpostfacto.

Royale w/cheese
Jul 20, 2007, 04:10 AM
Oh, makes sense. :D I have a 400 mhz Blueberry. Been so long I forgot it was that iMac to implement firewire. :D

shu82
Jul 21, 2007, 01:01 AM
Actually, the 350 is kind of an exception to the firewire rule. It is a slot loading imac. It just doesn't have firewire as a cheapo version that was for sale at the same time as the 400 sl imacs. You should be able to install tiger without xpostfacto. Search the threads, people have done it.

Cosmoza
Jul 23, 2007, 11:38 PM
Actually, the 350 is kind of an exception to the firewire rule. It is a slot loading imac. It just doesn't have firewire as a cheapo version that was for sale at the same time as the 400 sl imacs. You should be able to install tiger without xpostfacto. Search the threads, people have done it.

Hmm, really? That's not what i've heard before, but i'll take your word for it. I finished installing the 10.4 already with Xpostfacto and the iMac is running happily it right now :)

shu82
Jul 24, 2007, 05:44 PM
Hmm, really? That's not what i've heard before, but i'll take your word for it. I finished installing the 10.4 already with Xpostfacto and the iMac is running happily it right now :)

If its done and works great, good for you. But the 350 and the 400 have the same MB less the physical firewire. So OSX "thinks" it has firewire.

Tom B.
Jul 24, 2007, 06:04 PM
I really thought my mum's iMac G3 500MHz could not run Tiger :confused:

I guess i'll have to try again, then. :o

BornAgainMac
Jul 24, 2007, 06:19 PM
Want to have this iMac scream? Allow you Mac to startup with the prompt for a user name and password. (System Preferences / Accounts / Login Options / Name and Password clicked)

At the login prompt, type in >console after the name.

The screen will clear and you have a pure *NIX environment. With no Aqua in the way, your G3 will scream faster than you can say OS9.

Killyp
Jul 24, 2007, 06:21 PM
Want to have this iMac scream? Allow you Mac to startup with the prompt for a user name and password. (System Preferences / Accounts / Login Options / Name and Password clicked)

At the login prompt, type in >console after the name.

The screen will clear and you have a pure *NIX environment. With no Aqua in the way, your G3 will scream faster than you can say OS9.

Not when it comes to PhotoShop...

BornAgainMac
Jul 24, 2007, 06:25 PM
Not when it comes to PhotoShop...

Yea, but vi .... "TextShop" runs quick.

motulist
Jul 24, 2007, 06:31 PM
Want to have this iMac scream?...At the login prompt, type in >console after the name.

Yeah, and if you pull the power cord out and shove the whole computer into a cannon and shoot it out then your computer will fly really fast also. ;) My point is, the only aspect of computer speed that matters is how fast it will allow you to do what you want to do. And for most people, the command line will not allow them to do anything that they want to do. So how fast it runs things that that don't care about is irrelevant.

I appreciate the point you make though.

Cosmoza
Jul 25, 2007, 07:08 AM
Seems that my iMac can't run youtube videos smoothly either. What a bummer. I guess 350Mhz isn't just enough for that.

DoFoT9
Jul 25, 2007, 08:19 AM
i shall have to test this out on me imac dv :) its gonna be intersting to see what kind of performance increase their is, if any at all...

shu82
Jul 25, 2007, 10:40 AM
Seems that my iMac can't run youtube videos smoothly either. What a bummer. I guess 350Mhz isn't just enough for that.

If you click the box on the bottom right of the youtube video, it makes its smaller and you can stream it better. Its still not bad for a 7 year old video card:) Also, make sure only your browser is running when you do it.

motulist
Jul 25, 2007, 11:11 AM
Also, on any computer you use, but especially on slow computers, you should open up activity monitor and check that no background tasks are taking up precious CPU power. Make sure to have the view pull down menu set to "all processes" amd not just "my processes." That's how I just found out recently that on my G4 400 Mhz sawtooth that my stupid printer/scanner by Hewlett Packard was running a ridiculous and unneeded root process that was always running even when I wasn't using the device and it was always taking up 25% of my CPU!

Remember kids, always check activity monitor's all processes to see if a thief is stealing your computer power.

Frisco415
Mar 28, 2009, 02:29 AM
I've got an old imac G3 ruby. It's 400mhz 320 ram 10.0 gb hhd.
When I purchased this computer it had os 10.4 installed on it. A while back, while downloading updates, one of the updated didn't download correctly and when I rebuted the computer it only showed a grey screen and failed to start up! after many failed attempts I installed a copy of os 10.3 I was given. the Computer was super slow, but still worked fine. Recently the imac started failing to open certain websites and others load but all the features don't work! web sites such as, You tube, and ESPN don't work correctly and others such as MLB.com make the internet shut down when opened! I've tried reinstalling os 10.4 but get an error stating that this comp is uncapable of running os10.4. I only use this machine for internet and itunes! Is this comp just ready to retire of or can these problems be rectafied? anyone???
Thanks!

brop52
Mar 28, 2009, 02:58 AM
I think the computer has seen better days. Using my iMac G3 500MHz even with an upgraded 120GB 7200 RPM HDD and 768MB of RAM it is still kind of painful to do browsing. The CPU is just too slow.

I think it's time for you to get a newer computer. It's not worth the suffering and time wasted waiting for things to load.