PDA

View Full Version : Sims Bowling for iPod

MacRumors
Jul 16, 2007, 11:19 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Electronic Arts has released Sims Bowling (iTunes link) (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewGame?id=259509302&s=143441) for the iPod.

Join The Sims for fun bowling action! Enjoy challenging, realistic bowling anytime. Use the Click Wheel to control, aim, adjust your power, add spin, and then send the ball screaming down the lane. The Sims Bowling party comes to life with vibrant graphics, sound effects, and multiple game modes. Enjoy "Sims Life," in which you create a Sim and compete in a popularity contest, or bowl against a friend in "Pass-n-Play." Listen to your fans roar -- roll strikes and make The Sims crowd go wild!

The game requires a 5th generation iPod with iPod Software 1.2 or later. Apple notes that they are not compatible with the iPhone.

Electronic Arts (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/05/08/4-new-electronic-arts-ipod-games-coming-ms-pac-mac-demo/) had previously revealed that Sims Bowling was coming to the iPod, and that 3 other titles can be expected from them this year.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/17/sim-bowling-for-ipod/)

DaftUnion
Jul 16, 2007, 11:20 PM
Eh, it looks alright.

JonMan
Jul 16, 2007, 11:22 PM
Anyone still think Apple will stop making ipods with the Click Wheel? I bet the old form factor will stick around for a while.

iProd
Jul 16, 2007, 11:35 PM
This isn't C&C3, BF2142, or NFS Carbon...stupid EA :mad:

dfnj123
Jul 16, 2007, 11:42 PM
apple, please give us iPhone games

TheNumberOneFan
Jul 17, 2007, 12:03 AM

no kidding wtf i want to play this **** on my phone it would rule

Royale w/cheese
Jul 17, 2007, 12:17 AM
It's an alright game, too bad it won't play on my 1st gen shuffle. :rolleyes:

nagromme
Jul 17, 2007, 12:24 AM
This isn't C&C3, BF2142, or NFS Carbon...stupid EA :mad:

Those are all coming to Mac soon. And--this is great news: none of them were harmed in any way by EA's development of iPod games :)

belovedmonster
Jul 17, 2007, 03:09 AM
Anyone still think Apple will stop making ipods with the Click Wheel? I bet the old form factor will stick around for a while.

Even if the iPod goes touch screen you still have the nano, and even if that goes touch screen you still have future versions of the shuffle. Its not going away for several years yet.

Royale w/cheese
Jul 17, 2007, 05:02 AM
Even if the iPod goes touch screen you still have the nano, and even if that goes touch screen you still have future versions of the shuffle. Its not going away for several years yet.

I wouldn't say the shuffle qualifies as a click wheel. No true wheel function. If that were the case, the front row remote is a click wheel also. :rolleyes:

aafuss1
Jul 17, 2007, 05:12 AM
As a Sims fans-it's great!. And can we have a mobile version of the Sims too.

About the iPhone-Apple would need to add in a on-screen virtual clickwheel to play current games.

twoodcc
Jul 17, 2007, 06:20 AM
cool, i like bowling. but i want it on my iPhonne

RumMunkey
Jul 17, 2007, 06:35 AM

Does anyone think that? Didn't one of the first touch-screen patent applications show that the click wheel would appear as a graphic overlay on screen?

You know how when watching a movie in QT and you bring your mouse over the picture you get that overlay of the pause, skip & scrub controls? I guess I just assumed that a touch-screen iPod would work the same way. Tap the screen to bring up a click-wheel overlay (and other controls -application specific).

Was that just a fever dream?

BornAgainMac
Jul 17, 2007, 07:15 AM
I bet when the iPods are OSX based, much better games will be produced. And these games won't work anymore or have to run in some type of classic mode.

mainstreetmark
Jul 17, 2007, 07:25 AM
Does anyone think that? Didn't one of the first touch-screen patent applications show that the click wheel would appear as a graphic overlay on screen?

You know how when watching a movie in QT and you bring your mouse over the picture you get that overlay of the pause, skip & scrub controls? I guess I just assumed that a touch-screen iPod would work the same way. Tap the screen to bring up a click-wheel overlay (and other controls -application specific).

Was that just a fever dream?

Yeah, I doubt they'll get rid of that clickwheel. That's what an iPod IS. This thing that's in the iPhone may be similar in function to an iPod, but an iPod it is NOT. It's harder to control and does just strange stuff. (For example, when listening to a playlist, and you wish to rate a song, you have to tap this tiny album art graphic in the corner, where you're presented with a list of all the songs on the album (not the playlist), and that's where you find the ratings. Then, when you're done, and you turn it sideways, you get all the albums on the iPhone, not all the albums in the playlist. It's maddening!)

Also, iPhone's music player is a pain to use while driving. To skip to the next song, you have to slide to wake it up, then go tap the fast-forward button, all of which requires eyes-off-the-road.

JonMan
Jul 17, 2007, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I doubt they'll get rid of that clickwheel. That's what an iPod IS. This thing that's in the iPhone may be similar in function to an iPod, but an iPod it is NOT. It's harder to control and does just strange stuff. (For example, when listening to a playlist, and you wish to rate a song, you have to tap this tiny album art graphic in the corner, where you're presented with a list of all the songs on the album (not the playlist), and that's where you find the ratings. Then, when you're done, and you turn it sideways, you get all the albums on the iPhone, not all the albums in the playlist. It's maddening!)

Also, iPhone's music player is a pain to use while driving. To skip to the next song, you have to slide to wake it up, then go tap the fast-forward button, all of which requires eyes-off-the-road.

I agree with everything you said. However, I think it is imporant to note that, when SJ was describing the iPhone, he called it "the best iPod we ever made". This suggests, to me at least, that they are marketing the iPhone as an actual iPod.

I am very curious as to what will happen with the stand alone iPods now...

nallwdrgn
Jul 17, 2007, 10:15 AM
I found it easier to just use the earphones that the iPhone came with. It has that little 'clicker' that you can double click to goto the next song or single click to pause/play. :)

Also let me just say...I cannot WAIT until games can be played on my iphone without having to use edge or wifi

Dagless
Jul 17, 2007, 10:17 AM
After playing Wii Sports I don't want to play this kind of virtual bowling again.

ghall
Jul 17, 2007, 10:20 AM
After playing Wii Sports I don't want to play this kind of virtual bowling again.

Amen to that. :)

Maccus Aurelius
Jul 17, 2007, 10:27 AM
Dammit. My fiance saw it was available and she now wants it on my iPod, and she's still addicted to Tetris.

Oh well, gotta please the better half :D

*I'm addicted to Tetris as well* :o

Redline13
Jul 17, 2007, 10:48 AM
Why do people buy this junk?

Antares
Jul 17, 2007, 11:51 AM
Why do people buy this junk?

Because it's fun and makes for a great, brief distraction.

cliffjumper68
Jul 17, 2007, 12:54 PM
Looks like a great game.

morespce54
Jul 17, 2007, 12:55 PM
I bet when the iPods are OSX based, much better games will be produced. And these games won't work anymore or have to run in some type of classic mode.

That's what I'm afraid... :(

And OT, but why can we play these games on an iPod but not on iTunes? At least, that would give me (a real) reason to buy those games... :confused:

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 17, 2007, 01:51 PM
cool, i like bowling. but i want it on my iPhonne

yea where the hell are my games!!??

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 17, 2007, 01:51 PM
That's what I'm afraid... :(

And OT, but why can we play these games on an iPod but not on iTunes? At least, that would give me (a real) reason to buy those games... :confused:

oh i assumed they were able to be played on itunes first...

jabu31
Jul 17, 2007, 02:04 PM
I think this looks like a great game especially if your a sims head just like me. I love playing that game. I would like them develop a good golf game not a put put golf game:rolleyes:

Regarding the form factor of the possible new ipod to be more along the lines of the iphone. I think it is very possible. I am betting it would happen soon at least i hope so :p

I have a nano and decided not to buy another ipod until something more significant is developed.......:D Im hoping for christmas:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Redline13
Jul 17, 2007, 04:05 PM
Because it's fun and makes for a great, brief distraction.

Fair enough. To each his own.

Virtualball
Jul 17, 2007, 04:18 PM
I WANT THIS **** ON MY GOD DAMN IPHONE!

I already spent 25 dollars buying games for my old iPod and I want it to God damn play on my iPhone.

Oh and the virtual click wheel idea won't work, there's no way to tell if you do a mousedown or just a drag. :(:(:(

Royale w/cheese
Jul 17, 2007, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I can't really see them putting a virtual click wheel in anything, especially for how much they are touting multi-touch. Yes it is a icon in the Apple world, but so are other things they abandon for new technologies of their own making. So I would think the click wheel stays physical, or goes the way of the dinosaur.

JD92
Jul 19, 2007, 10:08 AM
I think this looks like a great game

I think this looks like my dinner after I ate it.

(*****)

AJsAWiz
Jul 24, 2007, 04:40 PM

I LOVE bowling on the Wii and enjoy Sims Bowling on my Video iPod as well:D

AJsAWiz
Jul 24, 2007, 04:41 PM

There are iPhone games. They are web based though.

Chupa Chupa
Jul 25, 2007, 04:10 PM

Not Apple, but games: http://macmost.com/iphonegames/

MaddieBrad
Jul 25, 2007, 10:02 PM
gimme 60 gigs on my iphone... then we will worry bout games on it.

Monsterkid198
Aug 27, 2007, 10:55 PM
dude i ****ing hate the sims. i wouldn't wast a cent of my hard erned money on that game. hacks is ware it's at :D oh and is it seriously 5 bucks for a bowling game. come on give me a brake already i am going to pay a **** load for the 5th gen ipod that will last me another 3 and a half years. why would i rack up another 5 buck on which i would never get back. wow steve jobs really has this whole **** on lock.

guy's if you were half smart don't wast your money