PDA

View Full Version : Konfabulator 1.5 is now available

MacBytes
Jul 23, 2003, 10:48 AM
Category: 3rd Party Software
Link: Konfabulator 1.5 is now available (http://www.konfabulator.com/)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

arn
Jul 23, 2003, 10:49 AM
I guess love it or hate it... a new version is out.

:)

arn

maradong
Jul 23, 2003, 11:06 AM
i hope they ll impement sooner or later that the widgets can t be moved on the desktop, if you set the preference so.
and that you can put icons atop the widgets, then i will use confabulator, not before, my desktop place is to useful to put some widgets around.

Kid Red
Jul 23, 2003, 11:18 AM
Hate it :)

Jerry Spoon
Jul 23, 2003, 11:27 AM
I thought it was an interesting concept and tried it out, but it mucked up my system a bit. I might try this new version and see if it's any better.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 23, 2003, 11:39 AM
i'm sorry, but i hate konfabulator. i had it for a week, and then the widgets got in the way, and my whole systeem started to slow down. horrible, just horrible.

msassman
Jul 23, 2003, 11:41 AM
I use Konfabulator all the time! It's great for a quick reference on a laptop for a clock, battery status, etc. especially for tired eyes!

Kudos to Arlo Rose! My registration is on the way!

MacManDan
Jul 23, 2003, 11:42 AM
Konfabulator was neat when I tried it, but it only seemed to be a toy that became old quickly. I dunno, I wouldn't say I love it or hate it, but it's "ok" :rolleyes:

Gelfin
Jul 23, 2003, 02:18 PM
I guess somebody has to post from the "love it" camp. I've noticed no problems as a result of using it, and I have a couple of utility widgets on my desktop all the time. The initial release had a pretty nasty memory leak, but they patched that quickly.

Note for maradong: Since OS X wants to align icons to the right edge of the screen, why not put widgets along the left? That's how I do it. Then if your desktop is so full of icons that the widgets get in the way, then you've got no business calling your desktop "useful."

EDIT (also for maradong): I just installed the new version, and you can do EXACTLY what you want. In the widget preferences, set "Level of Window" to "Desktop" and your icons go on top of your widget.

Mudbug
Jul 23, 2003, 04:31 PM
I *like* it, but have had some problems. When it runs on my G3, it slows everything down and hogs most of the system resources, and refuses to quit.

however

on my powerbook, it runs quietly in the background and is a much better indicator of airport range than the built-in bar version of the OS... and the multiple clocks is nice to have when you travel a lot, which I haven't been doing lately, but will be soon.

MrMacMan
Jul 23, 2003, 05:05 PM
Does this new version issue the 'omfg, why is the hogging my system' issue?

I mean that was really annoying, there are some GREAT apps (widgets) but I can't stand it using that much CPU!

MrMacMan
Jul 23, 2003, 05:21 PM
Did I totally MISS every version update from 1.0.1 to 1.5?

I'm so confused, My last version was 1.0.1 and I never saw an update, untill now...

WHAT GIVES :ahh:

Capt Underpants
Jul 23, 2003, 08:09 PM
I love widgets!!! They are so cool. They look cool too. I am glad that a new version of konfabulator is out.

Billicus
Jul 23, 2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman

I'm so confused, My last version was 1.0.1 and I never saw an update, untill now...

Kind of like the jump from 8.1 to 8.5 huh? What happened to 8.2, 8.3, and 8.4 anyway? :p

Gelfin
Jul 23, 2003, 08:16 PM

The last public version was 1.0.2, which was the one that fixed the memory leak as I recall.

It's not uncommon for a developer to jump several minor version numbers, indicating the significance of the upgrade. You didn't miss anything but 1.0.1 to 1.0.2.

EDIT: Oh, and it seems to have very little impact on my system, performance-wise. I imagine some individual widgets could possibly, but in general it's very friendly. Granted I'm on a 17" PB, so your mileage (particularly on a G3) may vary.

MrMacMan
Jul 23, 2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Billicus
Kind of like the jump from 8.1 to 8.5 huh? What happened to 8.2, 8.3, and 8.4 anyway? :p
Hey its like an prelealsed alpha beta version becoming gold master with no steps in the middle.

They didn't even make a 1.1 ... wtf.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 23, 2003, 09:09 PM
Hey its like an prelealsed alpha beta version becoming gold master with no steps in the middle.

They didn't even make a 1.1 ... wtf.

he should have gone to 1.1 before 1.5.

applemacdude
Jul 24, 2003, 08:14 PM
Konfabualtor is so cool. Maybe ill install x on my g3 and download it

Flowbee
Jul 24, 2003, 10:16 PM
Pay for software that has no functionality other than to let people write 'widgets' to make it useful? No thanks.

mac15
Jul 25, 2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Flowbee
Pay for software that has no functionality other than to let people write 'widgets' to make it useful? No thanks.

True that, Its fun to watch the widgets they ship with but jeez. Pay $25 for something you have to make is wrong. This is a sub $10 app