PDA

View Full Version : iMac Revision and iLife on August 7th?

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Jul 17, 2007, 12:08 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

ThinkSecret (http://notes.thinksecret.com/secretnotes/0707august7.shtml) pinpoints Tuesday, August 7th as the likely date for the long awaited iMac revision.
The revamped iMac will represent the first substantial upgrade to the system since it initially adopted Intel processors in January 2006, and will sport an entirely new brushed aluminum enclosure.
ThinkSecret also suggests that the overdue iLife updates could also arrive at the same time, but are less certain on this possibility.

A recent rumor (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/04/new-ilife-gone-golden-master/) had suggested that iLife update had gone "golden master", suggesting an imminent release.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/17/imac-revision-and-ilife-on-august-7th/)

Eidorian
Jul 17, 2007, 12:09 PM
Yay, more waiting.

I've been waiting since Memorial Day. :(

ac-mac
Jul 17, 2007, 12:11 PM
i thought that the brushed aluminum look was reserved for pro machines. anyway cant wait... finished exams last month and that would be a nice well done on the exams present :)

likeavaliant
Jul 17, 2007, 12:11 PM
maybe ipod update as well?!

levitynyc
Jul 17, 2007, 12:13 PM
I honestly don't see new iMacs or iPods until September....but thats just me.

Mjolnir 998
Jul 17, 2007, 12:13 PM
sweetness!! they always release new products on my birthday
last year it was the Mac Pro and I think there was something else

lcm123
Jul 17, 2007, 12:16 PM
Does anyone know if Leopard will include new iLife ?

L3X
Jul 17, 2007, 12:17 PM

pcorajr
Jul 17, 2007, 12:18 PM
That seems like an odd day for Apple to release a update. Has apple always stuck to Tuesday's for new releases?

If this is true then people at the warehouses will have a busy weekend getting things ready for Monday and the onslaught of order that will pour in over the weekend.

Mjolnir 998
Jul 17, 2007, 12:19 PM

curious to know if any versions of OS X come with it??? I've only bought macs and they just came with all of it except iWork as a trial, if you buy just the OS does it come it?

Eraserhead
I'm pretty sure it will. The current OSX includes the current iLife suite.

No it doesn't, a retail copy of Tiger doesn't include iLife, but every new Mac comes with the latest version.

RoDe
Can't wait. I'm getting pretty tired of he current design. Give it to me Johnny Ive! :D

Random Ping
Jul 17, 2007, 12:20 PM

I don't know when the iMacs need to be available to leverage the "back to school" spending. Somehow I feel it should be August and not September.

timnosenzo
Jul 17, 2007, 12:20 PM

No it doesn't. New Macs come with iLife, but iLife is not included with OSX.

Squonk
Jul 17, 2007, 12:23 PM
i thought that the brushed aluminum look was reserved for pro machines. anyway cant wait... finished exams last month and that would be a nice well done on the exams present :)

iMac Pro? And with the previous rumors spelling the demise of the 17", why not...

L3X
Jul 17, 2007, 12:25 PM
No it doesn't. New Macs come with iLife, but iLife is not included with OSX.
that's what i meant to point out, thanks.

iBlackMac anyone?!?!

boss1
Jul 17, 2007, 12:26 PM
I could see that Apple might want to have the iMac out for the school shopping season. Or at least announced and allow orders to start taking place. I just don't understand the 10.5 date. Are they going to allow those who purchased an iMac a 10.5 update? or are they going to gouge us for an additional 150bucks a month later?

iBunny
Well I just bought my MacBook Pro on July 7th. If iLife 07/08 whatever does come out on August 7th, is there anything I can do to get a free copy? Or Do I just have to buy it?

Either way Im gonna get it, but if I can get it on the free why not :D

dmaxdmax
I assume a BTO would ship w/whatever software was current as of the shipment and not the order date. Yes?

Specifically, if I order on 8/5, iLife ships on 8/7 and my MBP ships after that I'll get the newest version.

No, I'm not going to wait the extra 2 days because 8/5 is a tax holiday.

Data
Jul 17, 2007, 12:28 PM

I think steve said in last years wwdc presentation of leopard that it would be full featured meaning the ilife apps would be included, but it has been more then a year so maybe if you play that from the apple site you can be sure about it ;-).

Squonk
Jul 17, 2007, 12:28 PM
I assume a BTO would ship w/whatever software was current as of the shipment and not the order date. Yes?

Specifically, if I order on 8/5, iLife ships on 8/7 and my MBP ships after that I'll get the newest version.

I would think that :apple: would give you the latest version. You may need to call and be insistent with them though...

sweet160
Jul 17, 2007, 12:29 PM
What do you people guess could change in the inside of the imac?

especially what kind of graphics card would fit in there?

:cool: I need Crysis to run smooth as butter ...

parafish13
Jul 17, 2007, 12:31 PM
I want to believe...guess we'll find out soon. :rolleyes:

Max.Power
Jul 17, 2007, 12:34 PM
Hope this is true. My current machine is has slowly been dying since March and I'm trying to hold out for this update as long as I can. Or maybe the computer gods just want me to have a Dell. :mad:

A Pittarelli
imac updates have been comming longer than jenna jameson :p

MIDI_EVIL
Apple will not give iLife with Leopard, they haven't given it with Tiger or Panther before.

iLife is almost half the price of Tiger/Leopard!!!

To all those people that are asking if Apple will give them a free update to Leopard or iLife if they buy now... :confused::rolleyes::eek::mad:

Rich.

Le Big Mac
Jul 17, 2007, 12:40 PM

More likely you will have to pay $19.95 as part of the up-to-date program.

Even more likely that they won't give it to you, because their practice is to give it to you (for $19.95) only for purchases after the announcement.

So, if you want to get the sales tax break, place the order on the 5th, and hope, and then if the announcement comes on the 7th, call to request a revision to the order, and hope they don't rebill.

hotdamn
Jul 17, 2007, 12:40 PM
I need Crysis to run smooth as butter ...

you might not want to invest in an iMac then.

I think steve said in last years wwdc presentation of leopard that it would be full featured meaning the ilife apps would be included.

wishful thinking on your part. probably worded wrong at wwdc.

iBunny
Jul 17, 2007, 12:42 PM

Quote of the Day

dlastmango
THERE IS NO BRUSHED ALUMINUM!!! lol :eek: :o :apple:

zedsdead
I am more interested in the iMac update, but the Mac Pro hasn't seen a real update since it's announcement (the 8-Core is simply an add-on).

Any chance Leopard will get released early?

thesdx
Jul 17, 2007, 12:44 PM
Boy, I hope. I can't really trust ThinkSecret, as they were the ones who told us these iMacs were coming at the WWDC 07.

Clive At Five
Jul 17, 2007, 12:45 PM
Yay, more waiting.

I've been waiting since Memorial Day. :(

boo fricken hoo.

I've been waiting since I saw the travesty that was the G5 iMac. My 800MHz G4 is waiting for a new younger quicker brother... And I'd rather shoot myself in the face than buy that one-legged white box.

So call me superficial...

-Clive

Eidorian
Jul 17, 2007, 12:47 PM
boo fricken hoo.

I've been waiting since I saw the travesty that was the G5 iMac. My 800MHz G4 is waiting for a new younger quicker brother... And I'd rather shoot myself in the face than buy that one-legged white box.

So call me superficial...

-CliveSounds like you have a Mac then...

teflon
Jul 17, 2007, 12:48 PM
maybe ipod update as well?!

I think that would be in September at the Apple Expo in Paris. Apple wouldn't unveil two big products at once. They want maximum publicity and limelight on each product for as long as possible.

pocketrockets
Jul 17, 2007, 12:49 PM
Great news.

Aug. 5 is when the new line of Transformer toys should come out too. According to the guy at Target.

What a great week in retail. Lol.

rubberduck007
Jul 17, 2007, 12:57 PM

and for us true English speakers "ALUMINIUM" :p

cliffjumper68
Jul 17, 2007, 12:58 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

ThinkSecret (http://notes.thinksecret.com/secretnotes/0707august7.shtml) pinpoints Tuesday, August 7th as the likely date for the long awaited iMac revision.

ThinkSecret also suggests that the overdue iLife updates could also arrive at the same time, but are less certain on this possibility.

A recent rumor (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/04/new-ilife-gone-golden-master/) had suggested that iLife update had gone "golden master", suggesting an imminent release.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/17/imac-revision-and-ilife-on-august-7th/)
You have to admit think secret is great at this kind of stuff. I hope they are on for the release date since I am in the market for a new home computer.

Glenny2lappies
Jul 17, 2007, 01:02 PM
I would have thought that iWork would be released the same time as iLife. No mention of iWork:-(

Isn't iLife/iWork supposed to rely on some Leopard features? If so, won't they release these all with Leopard in October? It makes sense from a business perspective as it will add more value to the Leopard upgrade as a kind of synergy, i.e. we'll buy Leopard with iLife/iWork.

And Santa Rosa for the Macbook? Blueray for the MBP? Also in August?

morespce54
Jul 17, 2007, 01:03 PM
I could see that Apple might want to have the iMac out for the school shopping season. Or at least announced and allow orders to start taking place. I just don't understand the 10.5 date. Are they going to allow those who purchased an iMac a 10.5 update? or are they going to gouge us for an additional 150bucks a month later?

2 months, It seems to me a bit long to extend the free upgrade promotion...

p0intblank
Jul 17, 2007, 01:05 PM
Sweet, bring it on! :D

yetanotherdave
Jul 17, 2007, 01:07 PM
As much as I'd like an iLife update I hope it doens't ship until Leopard ships, as I'd like to see a substantial update that really uses the new core technologies in leopard.

morespce54
Jul 17, 2007, 01:08 PM
Any chance Leopard will get released early?

Eh... no! ;):)

DeeTee
Jul 17, 2007, 01:08 PM
I work at a computer store and last week we had an Intel rep come to visit and give training. I asked when we would see quad cores in laptops and he told us that it would not be untill mid 2008. Being a Mac lover i said 'i take it we'll see them in apples first' it was to this that he let slip and said 'well apple already have a laptop type....' then he stopped went a dark shade of red and went 'oops'. so putting 2 and 2 together im holdin out for a quad core 24' iMac that would explain the brushed metal 'Pro' format.

just a rumor though

IEatApples
Jul 17, 2007, 01:12 PM
Sounds like you have a Mac then...
lol :D nice counterpoint! :p

GuillaumeB
Jul 17, 2007, 01:12 PM
iLife? mmm if this include a .Mac upgrade the I may sign up after all

lazyrighteye
Jul 17, 2007, 01:13 PM

Nah, they'll gouge us for $129 later. ;)

electronboy
Jul 17, 2007, 01:14 PM
it would be a complete surprise if Apple released the next version of iLfe before Leopard shipped. Just does not make sense. If they release it, I suspect very slow sales until Leopard ships.

overcast
Jul 17, 2007, 01:18 PM
What do you people guess could change in the inside of the imac?

especially what kind of graphics card would fit in there?

:cool: I need Crysis to run smooth as butter ...
Crysis is not going to run smooth as butter on any iMac. It would barely run smooth on the currently old x1900 in the mac pro with medium settings. Besides it's a DirectX10 game.

siurpeeman
Jul 17, 2007, 01:19 PM

the only copy of mac os x you can buy off the shelves right now is tiger for ppc, which doesn't include ilife. ilife only comes shipped with new macs, and it's never been packed with the operating system itself.

I think steve said in last years wwdc presentation of leopard that it would be full featured meaning the ilife apps would be included, but it has been more then a year so maybe if you play that from the apple site you can be sure about it ;-).

he said the operating system would include the "complete package." i doubt this means to include ilife in the operating system. you don't need ilife to make mac os x. similarly, you don't need microsoft office to make windows a complete operating system. if ilife were really to be included with mac os x, steve would have said so explicitly at wwdc.

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 17, 2007, 01:20 PM
Boy, I hope. I can't really trust ThinkSecret, as they were the ones who told us these iMacs were coming at the WWDC 07.

agreed, i hope some people can remember that...

roland.g
Jul 17, 2007, 01:22 PM
Can I just sleep from now till the 6th.

weezer160
Jul 17, 2007, 01:24 PM
I can see this happening without a doubt. New semester starts two weeks after the 7th for most university. Wouldn't want to miss out on all that profit.

vandlism
Jul 17, 2007, 01:25 PM
I think we may see the emergence of high definition optical drives as well as a focus on gaming for the mac. I think Apple is working on getting developers to port their games, the WWDC announcements as well as the recent Gears of War announcement make me all the more convinced. We may see a strong hardware push by Apple to catch a portion of the market. The iMac will most likely become the flagship product with ads to capture new buyers and bring them into the store to check out Leopard.

Expect 20" and 24" models with C2Ds, but with a new design as this is the first chance Apple has had to work on it since deciding to focus on the Intel architechture switch, as well as providing a stellar laptop line.

On a side note, I think movie rentals will appear in iTunes once the new iPods are announced (early September).

Eidorian
Jul 17, 2007, 01:26 PM
Can I just sleep from now till the 6th.1. Self induced coma
2. Cryogenic freezing

:D

Hamshrew
Jul 17, 2007, 01:27 PM
So no Mac Pro revision, still?

I told myself I'd wait until they put in a decent video card to get one. The 1900 was nice at the time, but it's very dated now. I don't even need top of the line, but that card is 18 months old now... and it's the best they offer?

Also, I suspect the next upgrade will be to offer a Blu-Ray burner option.

Update your professional line, Apple! I'm waiting with my money! My 1GHz G4 can't hold out forever!

oxygen8
Jul 17, 2007, 01:28 PM

and lose the back to school market?
not a chance.

desimus
Jul 17, 2007, 01:31 PM
Here's to hoping. I need a new computer for my office at school and of course i want to go with a new imac. So Aug 7th (one day before my b-day) is a perfect time with school starting 2 weeks later.

Now if i could just get school to buy me a new macbook to replace my PowerBook G4 then i would be in heaven. But I suppose all good things to those who wait...

:)

willybNL
Jul 17, 2007, 01:32 PM
Hopefully Apple will attrack more people to develop iMovie and iDVD themes, because fora like http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-13794.html are quite old already...

Diode
Jul 17, 2007, 01:36 PM
I hope so... I've been looking for a reason to get rid of my old ugly pc box and go back to my roots (aka apple). I would be happy retiring my old pc to a life of torrent seeding and remote storage :-)

imac/cheese
Jul 17, 2007, 01:39 PM
agreed, i hope some people can remember that...

If ThinkSecret keeps guessing, they are bound to get it right one day.

k2k koos
Jul 17, 2007, 01:41 PM

iPod shuffle, anyone?

bbyrdhouse
Jul 17, 2007, 01:41 PM
iWork!

Most of the time it seems that I don't have an iLife. But I need an iWork update.

C'mon Apple!

twoodcc
Jul 17, 2007, 01:43 PM
please oh please let this be t true. mainly about iLife

Yankees 4 Life
Jul 17, 2007, 01:46 PM
time to dust off tha old credit card... (last used to buy my 8gb iPhone....)

iPod shuffle, anyone?

nobody buys those anymore....

haha.... even a blind longhorn beats OU every once in a while...

GIG 'EM AGS

Cfour
Jul 17, 2007, 01:47 PM
Haven't we all heard this before?
Keep on guessin' and you're bound to get it right

Thats not saying I don't want it to be true, but it seems we get excited every time we hear this rumour.
Ah well, if it does come out when stated I'll be a proud new owner :)

glennyboiwpg
Jul 17, 2007, 01:54 PM
So where is that dude who ALWAYS puts in a post about apple products not being brushed alumimun?

CmdrLaForge
Jul 17, 2007, 01:58 PM
It really really is about time for new

iMacs
MacMini
iPods
iLife
iWork
and
Mac Pros
Cinema Displays

From my perspective the oldest model currently is the MacPro even so the buyers guide tells a different story. But there was no real upgrade to the MacPro just a new BTO.

Yebot
Jul 17, 2007, 02:00 PM
August 7th is a Tuesday. That's how I know this is true. ;)

... not to mention the back-to-school buying season.

Cloudsurfer
Jul 17, 2007, 02:02 PM
No iMac for me yet, but for iLife alone this is worthy of an iCal entry!

blumoon
Jul 17, 2007, 02:04 PM
Sweet! 3 weeks from today. I'm looking forward to buying an iMac.

Trout74
Jul 17, 2007, 02:06 PM

you are correct!

Think Secret hasnt had a good source for over 2 years, their track record in the past 18 months is lessthan pathetic. they may be correct with the date, but as stated above, it is a pure guess, and they are bound to guess correct once.

theheyes
Jul 17, 2007, 02:07 PM
After all the speculation and all the rumors that have come and gone, these iMacs had better be good.

I'm still not ruling out just a minor bump in specs on par with the new MBP.

RichyHo
Jul 17, 2007, 02:08 PM
So where is that dude who ALWAYS puts in a post about apple products not being brushed alumimun?

I was wondering that too... it's surely only a matter of time ;)

ATG
Jul 17, 2007, 02:11 PM
Crysis is not going to run smooth as butter on any iMac. It would barely run smooth on the currently old x1900 in the mac pro with medium settings. Besides it's a DirectX10 game.
No, it's a DX9 and DX10 game. I'm pretty sure Crysis will run on a new iMac on medium quality (Core 2 + 8600? = hell yeah).

I'm waiting for the new iMacs to come out too. It seems pointless buying a current model ATM.

mathwhiz90601
Jul 17, 2007, 02:14 PM
That seems like an odd day for Apple to release a update. Has apple always stuck to Tuesday's for new releases?

Yes.

I don't know when the iMacs need to be available to leverage the "back to school" spending. Somehow I feel it should be August and not September.

Earlier. I would say June but that's gone.

Agreed. ThinkSecret always falls down on that.

I think that would be in September at the Apple Expo in Paris. Apple wouldn't unveil two big products at once. They want maximum publicity and limelight on each product for as long as possible.

Yes. iPods in September. iMacs in July (please!) or August

You have to admit think secret is great at this kind of stuff. I hope they are on for the release date since I am in the market for a new home computer.

Shoot enough times and you'll hit eventually. TS is unreliable.

I work at a computer store and last week we had an Intel rep come to visit and give training. I asked when we would see quad cores in laptops and he told us that it would not be untill mid 2008. Being a Mac lover i said 'i take it we'll see them in apples first' it was to this that he let slip and said 'well apple already have a laptop type....' then he stopped went a dark shade of red and went 'oops'. so putting 2 and 2 together im holdin out for a quad core 24' iMac that would explain the brushed metal 'Pro' format.

just a rumor though

Lol... but a Quad core BTO iMac would be great.

Yep.

I think TS actually might overshoot the release date. I'm shooting for July 24 or 31.

I think there's a conspiracy, actually... Apple has a plant in AppleInsider and feeds them news to gauge the market. TS doesn't because Apple sued them for leaking actual info, and is forced to guess wildly. MR usually rehashes all the rumors from around the web.

freddiecable
Jul 17, 2007, 02:15 PM
1. I have the money in the bank...waiting

2. 9to5mac sounds realistic - but a quadra-core laptop cpu would be awesome :p

3. this rumour has an echo to itself - will anyone read think secret if it's not released on the 7th?

zioxide
Jul 17, 2007, 02:18 PM
Seems like a good date for them. If it is going to be August 7th and a major case revision, then Apple will most likely be sending out invitations for a special event soon.

I really doubt that they will be ANODIZED aluminum (the current pro lines aren't "brushed"), but they might come in both white and black like the Macbook.

Also, new iPods will be Sept-Oct just like the iPods have been like for the past few revisions. Maybe the Paris show or whatever.

iSee
Jul 17, 2007, 02:27 PM

I was wondering that too... it's surely only a matter of time ;)

You missed it, back at post 30 :p:

Anyway, maybe the new iMacs actually will be --> "brushed" <--- aluminium... :D

TunesRus90
Jul 17, 2007, 02:37 PM
Well personally, I am looking forward to the new iPods most because I actually plan on getting one of those. My 15GB 3rd gen is getting a little outdated :p However, I really hope that this (http://9to5mac.com/August-Aug-7-seventh-iMacs-Apple-Event-ipod-ipod-micro-nano-3450897543) is not accurate because that would be the ugliest iPod ever. I doubt apple would make something that grotesque.

Also, I want to see the new iMacs just out of curiosity. I have been hearing so much about them for awhile, and although I have no plans on buying one (one more year until college), I am still curious to see what apple can whip up.

davidmyers
Jul 17, 2007, 02:37 PM
I would think that :apple: would give you the latest version. You may need to call and be insistent with them though...

I doubt it will work. It appears that Apple has chosen August 7th specifically
*because* of the tax free days. SEVEN states (AL,GA,TN,MO,NM,NC,SC)
with tax free weekends that apply to computers have their days
scheduled for the first weekend in August.

This is extra stinky in two ways-
1) anyone who wants the newer chip has a dilemma
2) we were hoping for/promised 10.5 would be out, but you'll have to
fork $129 for that come October

The saving grace is that most people buying during tax free days
are probably buying for school (most of the states' dollar limits are around
a 1000 for the tax holiday), and Apple is once again throwing in iPods.

(Notice also how waiting until October for 10.5 means you get lose
the iPod?

'Course 10.5 costs $129 and the iPod rebate is $200... but then
again it's a *mail-in* rebate, bleh.)

My point is just- Apple's not stupid. They know how to play the calendar
game for maximum profit.

Thomas2006
Jul 17, 2007, 02:42 PM
it would be a complete surprise if Apple released the next version of iLfe before Leopard shipped. Just does not make sense. If they release it, I suspect very slow sales until Leopard ships.
I think iLife '08 will get demoed and released at MWSF2008. The demo won't be just about improvements to the apps, but also the updated .mac service, iPhone, new (hopefully) iPod, and how they compliment each other.

It is almost certain the new iWork suite will have a spreadsheet application, and maybe even a database application, so I do not see it getting released until after Steve gives a demo of it at the Apple Expo in Paris.

The iMac is getting released before the Apple Expo so the new "headless" Mac can get the attention. I know the "headless" Mac discussions have been beaten into the ground, but with the 17" iMac not getting updated, the Mac mini left to stagnate (EOLed?), and games coming back to the Mac I see a model that can take the place of the 17" iMac. It will cost the same as the 2.0 GHz model but instead of having a built-in monitor it will be designed with updatability in mind.

MacinDoc
Jul 17, 2007, 02:44 PM
you are correct!

Think Secret hasnt had a good source for over 2 years, their track record in the past 18 months is lessthan pathetic. they may be correct with the date, but as stated above, it is a pure guess, and they are bound to guess correct once.
I think they're even guessing the date. I suspect they just picked a Tuesday within the timeframe already rumored for release. It's still early enough to catch some of the back to school sales, but not so early that it would steal any thunder from iPhone's release. Add to that rumors of iLife going GM, and it doesn't take a genius to guess the date that TS did. The only other possible dates are July 31 and August 14 (which is getting a bit late for back to school).

milo
Jul 17, 2007, 02:45 PM
Isn't iLife/iWork supposed to rely on some Leopard features? If so, won't they release these all with Leopard in October?

I'm wondering that too. iLife has always shipped with or after OS updates (although I don't know if it has required the latest). It would be odd to release it a couple months before an OS update, the new apps are always great opportunities to show off new OS features.

filmmakerken
Jul 17, 2007, 02:45 PM
Speculation and guess work. Still, I hope I won't have to wait any longer than three weeks to get a new iMac.

Seems to me there ought to be a leak from someone at MacMall or MacConnection some time in the next week or two. Apple will expect them to order their stock before the release.

DaBrain
Jul 17, 2007, 02:53 PM
[QUOTE=TunesRus90;3930050]Well personally, I am looking forward to the new iPods most because I actually plan on getting one of those. My 15GB 3rd gen is getting a little outdated :p However, I really hope that this (http://9to5mac.com/August-Aug-7-seventh-iMacs-Apple-Event-ipod-ipod-micro-nano-3450897543) is not accurate because that would be the ugliest iPod ever. I doubt apple would make something that grotesque.

Really! I think that looks like crap! IM expecting a more iPhoneish look!

oscuh
Jul 17, 2007, 02:56 PM
I just hope they come out SOON. As soon as the new 24 inchers get updated, I get to replace my work machine (17" CD iMac). In the meantime, I guess I'll have to make due with a new 20" ViewSonic for extended desktop... finally, no more palette piling!

Porchland
Jul 17, 2007, 02:58 PM

Apple ships iLife installed but does not consider it to be part of the OS, i.e., an upgrade to Leopard won't get you iLife but buying a new computer will.

As for iLife, it was about time to skip a year:

* iPhoto needs Coverflow and some cosmetic tweaking, but it is extremely solid for a consumer/pro-sumer photo manager. (It's not Photoshop, but that's why Adobe makes Photoshop.)

* iMovie needs the usual new transitions, new titles, etc., but the handling and asset management seems fine to me.

* iDVD needs a refresh and the ability to burn to Blu-ray.

I haven't used GarageBand or iWeb very much.

theBB
Jul 17, 2007, 02:58 PM
Shoot enough times and you'll hit eventually. TS is unreliable.

No, TS is very reliable. Almost all of their claims turn out to be false, so if you could bet money against TS, you'd be rich.

DaiKirai
Jul 17, 2007, 03:01 PM
I'm also skeptical of ThinkSecret after they got it completely wrong at WWDC, and their constant chanting of "brushed aluminum" is getting tiresome.

I was hoping for a July 24 release, but that seems unlikely if we haven't seen any concrete evidence by now. Pity, I would have really appreciated two extra weeks of summer vacation to play with my brand new iMac...

AtHomeBoy_2000
Jul 17, 2007, 03:04 PM
from yesterday evening...
http://9to5mac.com/August-Aug-7-seventh-iMacs-Apple-Event-ipod-ipod-micro-nano-3450897543

eww... what an ugly iPod. Plus, it renders a lot of equipment that relies on the thin width of the iPod obsolete.

japanime
Jul 17, 2007, 03:05 PM
sweetness!! they always release new products on my birthday
last year it was the Mac Pro and I think there was something else

We have the same birthday.

Maybe Apple will send us a couple of those new iMacs and iPods as gifts!

arn
Jul 17, 2007, 03:06 PM
Story updated with 9to5mac info

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/17/imac-revision-and-ilife-on-august-7th/

arn

corywoolf
Jul 17, 2007, 03:09 PM
Sounds like Apple could be possibly dropping the yearly naming of iLife. I would favor that over the nearly forced yearly updates.

plumbingandtech
Jul 17, 2007, 03:12 PM
boy if they are right , people that were expecting an iphone like video ipod are going to be mifffed..

if they are right...

kansaigaijin
Jul 17, 2007, 03:12 PM

Pro machines are anodised. Are there any brushed aluminum Mac computers? I think not.

Loge
Jul 17, 2007, 03:20 PM
That iPod sure looked ugly - sort of Blackberry-like proportions. Here's hoping it's false, in favour of a full wide screen video iPod.

zap2
Jul 17, 2007, 03:22 PM
I'm kind of doubting that iPod....Apple has made the iPhone work with so many iPod add ons, seeems foolish for Apple to go an change the design, so it won't work with many docks, speakers etc

steve_hill4
Jul 17, 2007, 03:25 PM
I think anodized aluminium is more likely than brushed, especially since Leopard seems to have finally done away with the brushed look.

My question is more personally do I buy immediately after Leopard shipping is announced and hopefully get a brand new iMac with Tiger and iLife 08 and then pay £11.99 for the discs for Leopard or wait another couple of months and hope they do a minor bump in specs at the same time as Leopard. I doubt the latter so I may not bother waiting.

Blu Ray would be awesome on the iMac too, especially if iMovie, Final Cut Studio 2 and Final Cut Express all got free updates to support authoring of BD. iMovie 08 may have this built in anyway, FCS2 should be updated for free considering how long it's been available and FCE perhaps could be released as a new version. Blu Ray, more RAM, bigger HD, new C2D, better graphics and a few extra ports would be awesome for the same price, unlikely though.

How about for a massive event with lots of updates "Something Old, Something(s) New, Something Borrowed, Something Blu." That would set the rumor sites buzzing for the interim period for sure.

IEatApples
Jul 17, 2007, 03:26 PM
Story updated with 9to5mac info

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/17/imac-revision-and-ilife-on-august-7th/

arnYea, but it's the keyboard that's said to be "razor thin":

The keyboard is also redesigned to be much more mobile and gain additional media controlling functionality (remote control anyone?) - oh and it is RAZOR thin.At least that's MY interpretation?

slu
Jul 17, 2007, 03:27 PM
The iMac is getting released before the Apple Expo so the new "headless" Mac can get the attention. I know the "headless" Mac discussions have been beaten into the ground, but with the 17" iMac not getting updated, the Mac mini left to stagnate (EOLed?), and games coming back to the Mac I see a model that can take the place of the 17" iMac. It will cost the same as the 2.0 GHz model but instead of having a built-in monitor it will be designed with updatability in mind.

Keep dreaming on that.

The amount of idiocy in the thread is alarming. For all those wondering if they can get iLife for free if they do x,y, or z...you cannot! Jesus Tap Dancing Christ, software is just like everything else. If I buy the older version before the new version comes I am entitled to nothing unless I am still within the return period. THIS APPLIES TO EVERYTHING!

slffl
Jul 17, 2007, 03:27 PM
HAHAHA, are you kidding me? No way are the new ipods going to look like that. They will be exactly like the iPhone except with screen where the iphone has the ear speaker.

creator2456
Jul 17, 2007, 03:28 PM
That iPod sure looked ugly - sort of Blackberry-like proportions. Here's hoping it's false, in favour of a full wide screen video iPod.

DITTO...when I saw that 'new' iPod I wanted to burn out my eyes. If it is anywhere near that, Apple will have backtracked in design.

seashellz
Jul 17, 2007, 03:28 PM
I guess I can wait the extra 2-3 months to get 10.5 installed

ebow
Jul 17, 2007, 03:30 PM
and lose the back to school market?
not a chance.

Well that's a logical reaction, but unfortunately Apple doesn't seem to give a damn about the BTS market lately. Which is flippin' stupid, in my opinion. Take a look at the dates for recent releases in the Mac Buyer's Guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac), including: Sept 2003, Aug 2004 (cutting it close), Oct 2005, July 2006 (good), and Sept 2006. Arrgh.

wongulous
Jul 17, 2007, 03:34 PM
The 9to5mac site seems to be down.

Does anyone have a picture of this iPod mockup they've made?

GeoffShoulders
Jul 17, 2007, 03:35 PM
and for us true English speakers "ALUMINIUM" :p

Actually, the English guy who discovered it (I forget his name) called it Aluminum and the Puritans who fled from the permissive society of England to live God's pure life in the New World kept the proper name, as they did with many words we think are un-English. He then revised Aluminum to Aluminium to fall in line with other elements like Helium etc.

So there ;-)

PS Edit - it was Humphrey Davy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humphry_Davy

ebow
Jul 17, 2007, 03:35 PM

I can almost guarantee it won't be that wide. They're pretty much "standardized" on the width of the full-sized iPods, which coincide with the width of the iPhones. If the iPod were that wide, they'd have to throw away their universal dock and create a new one. Doesn't mean they wouldn't do something that consumer-unfriendly, but I really don't think it's likely.

weezer160
Jul 17, 2007, 03:36 PM
Well that's a logical reaction, but unfortunately Apple doesn't seem to give a damn about the BTS market lately. Which is flippin' stupid, in my opinion. Take a look at the dates for recent releases in the Mac Buyer's Guide (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac), including: Sept 2003, Aug 2004 (cutting it close), Oct 2005, July 2006 (good), and Sept 2006. Arrgh.

The last few iMac updates where great, with the C2D and CD, but I feel a new enclosure and more features (more RAM) and bigger screen, PLUS, how old the current ones are makes for a more likely case than the previous updates. Just my opinion. If there were a betting table, I'd put my money on the 7th.

Wie Gehts
Jul 17, 2007, 03:36 PM
I predict the biggest change in the Imac will be the box it comes in.

ebow
Jul 17, 2007, 03:37 PM

It's working intermittently for me. Try this direct link (no time to download / upload):
http://9to5mac.com/files/6G-ipod.png

kajitox
Jul 17, 2007, 03:37 PM
Good thing I'm not the first one to say that that mockup of the iPod is fugly. If they release anything short of an iPhone-esque iPod, thousands of people will die a little inside.

princealfie
Jul 17, 2007, 03:38 PM
Hurrah for the 17" still :D

emotion
Jul 17, 2007, 03:39 PM
eww... what an ugly iPod. Plus, it renders a lot of equipment that relies on the thin width of the iPod obsolete.

I agree. Aweful mockup. There's not even a tiny chance that Apple would release something that daft.

As for iMac. Meh, I'd rather a slightly bigger Mac Mini (midi?) that has similar specs and choose my own screen.

As for the spelling of Aluminum/Aluminium. I'm afraid the Americans are actually more correct with the name sadly (though we're not incorrect either).

kuebby
Jul 17, 2007, 03:42 PM
I can almost guarantee it won't be that wide. They're pretty much "standardized" on the width of the full-sized iPods, which coincide with the width of the iPhones. If the iPod were that wide, they'd have to throw away their universal dock and create a new one. Doesn't mean they wouldn't do something that consumer-unfriendly, but I really don't think it's likely.

Exactly. The "new" iPod mock-up on 9to5 is just a bad PS of the current iPod. There's no point in making the iPod wider; the hard drive fits snuggly inside the case as it is.

Cloudsurfer
Jul 17, 2007, 03:44 PM
HAHAHA, are you kidding me? No way are the new ipods going to look like that. They will be exactly like the iPhone except with screen where the iphone has the ear speaker.

Actually, that's the only way Apple could make it. The clickwheel is one of Apple's trademark input methods, it's here to stay. It will not be replaced by a touch screen anytime soon.

jicon
Jul 17, 2007, 03:46 PM
Is it me, or does the mock-up seem to indicate that the newer iPods will simply be shorter?

I'm not a fan of the smaller clickwheel on the 5G iPods, but certainly there is some space that could be saved in this supposed new design. Still holding out for an iPhone like iPod though... Still don't think it is going to happen for a long, long time.

morespce54
Jul 17, 2007, 03:49 PM

Oh boy, I do agree... :o

But regarding the form factor changes that render iPod equipment obsolete, I would not bet on that. I had to buy 3 different dock, 1 for each iPod I had (2 gen, 3 gen and now, 5 gen). Let alone all those FM transmitters, Remote control and FireWire cables that I bought... Even the Apple Earphone (with volume control)... all useless now... :(:(

They making money everywhere...

aafuss1
Jul 17, 2007, 03:57 PM
Will there be a new version of the standalone and wireless Apple keyboard? Hasn't changed in almost 5 years.

overcast
Jul 17, 2007, 03:57 PM
No, it's a DX9 and DX10 game. I'm pretty sure Crysis will run on a new iMac on medium quality (Core 2 + 8600? = hell yeah).

I'm waiting for the new iMacs to come out too. It seems pointless buying a current model ATM.

So Macs run DirectX now? Unless you're running bootcamp I suppose, I'm still going to say it's going to run like garbage on the crippled 8600. You might as well buy a cheap gaming PC and a monster video card.

Cloudsurfer
Jul 17, 2007, 04:02 PM
Will there be a new version of the standalone and wireless Apple keyboard? Hasn't changed in almost 5 years.

Most likely, yes. It will be based on the MacBook's keyboard.

jakebot
Jul 17, 2007, 04:02 PM
[QUOTE=TunesRus90;3930050]Well personally, I am looking forward to the new iPods most because I actually plan on getting one of those. My 15GB 3rd gen is getting a little outdated :p However, I really hope that this (http://9to5mac.com/August-Aug-7-seventh-iMacs-Apple-Event-ipod-ipod-micro-nano-3450897543) is not accurate because that would be the ugliest iPod ever. I doubt apple would make something that grotesque.

Really! I think that looks like crap! IM expecting a more iPhoneish look!

totally. That thing is awful... they can at least TRY and make a mock of it with the way apple designs in mind. Thank god they dont design for apple.

No one is going to carry around an almost "square" mp3 player...

how can we believe the rest of their rumors, if they think the new ipods will look like that! hahahaha

APPLEFAN8
Jul 17, 2007, 04:03 PM
I was gonna get the new iMac but I'm gonna get the Black Macbook tricked out I think it will be more useful becuase I travel alot! If they look really good then I might get one but IDK right now most likely getting the macbook!

Bye Bye Baby
Jul 17, 2007, 04:04 PM
The new design for the ipod truly blows! How is anyone going to ever by an ipod that looks like that when the new iphone is so sexy???

Nepenthe
Jul 17, 2007, 04:05 PM
The last few iMac updates where great, with the C2D and CD, but I feel a new enclosure and more features (more RAM) and bigger screen, PLUS, how old the current ones are makes for a more likely case than the previous updates. Just my opinion. If there were a betting table, I'd put my money on the 7th.

LED Displays maybe? They did that with the new MacBook Pros. It does not seem too far-fetched that they would apply the technology to the new iMac as well.

acrafton
Jul 17, 2007, 04:10 PM
Actually, that's the only way Apple could make it. The clickwheel is one of Apple's trademark input methods, it's here to stay. It will not be replaced by a touch screen anytime soon.

Can you elaborate on why that ugly mockup is "the only way Apple could make it". The obviously use the touch screen already . . .

kevs
Jul 17, 2007, 04:15 PM
I think people are speculating on the aluminum look because really, what else can Apple do to better the G5 design? Aside from dropping the chin, an aluminum or perhaps coloured case would be the only thing to change. I think they've designed themselves into a corner as far as all-in-one design goes.

ariza910
Jul 17, 2007, 04:16 PM

The brushed aluminum on the iPhone is actually really nice plastic.
Could be that the new iMac is getting this really nice plastic treatment as well.

thejadedmonkey
Jul 17, 2007, 04:17 PM
Gah, I can't wait. If I ever get the money, I just might have to upgrade to a new iMac and get anew iPod as well! I really need Apple to come out with an iPod that rivals the design of the 3rd gen's...

vincebio
Jul 17, 2007, 04:17 PM
I think people are speculating on the aluminum look because really, what else can Apple do to better the G5 design? Aside from dropping the chin, an aluminum or perhaps coloured case would be the only thing to change. I think they've designed themselves into a corner as far as all-in-one design goes.

getting out of those deisgn corners is what aple excels at my friend make no mistake these guys have design genius combined like no other company and can get out of any hole they get into by making new 'before unseen' market places.

iSee
Jul 17, 2007, 04:22 PM
Please, allow me to pile on the group who think that iPod as ugly as this:

They need to leave the mockups to the professionals (and by that, I mean MR posters)

ToddW
Jul 17, 2007, 04:40 PM
i really want the new ipod to be widescreen it would have to be to have that new osx interface and to use common stuff with the iphone. oh well we will see.

Cloudsurfer
Jul 17, 2007, 04:46 PM
Can you elaborate on why that ugly mockup is "the only way Apple could make it". The obviously use the touch screen already . . .

They use the touch screen for iPhone, and iPhone only. Did you even see the Macworld 07 keynote? Apple's three revolutionary input methods are the mouse for Mac, clickwheel for iPod and multi-touch screen for iPhone. It makes sense, right? No, not to the majority of mindless Apple geeks running around here. Ever since iPhone came out, everyone expects every Apple product to grace a touch screen. It sickens me. Besides, could you image what would happen to iPhone sales if Apple released a product that does exactly the same sans the phone for a lower price? Exactly.

The next generation iPod WILL have a physical clickwheel. Apple invented the clickwheel, it works great, it's easy, you can play/pause and skip a track without looking at the device at all. It's here to stay. So, the only way to do that and still have a 16:9 screen is to make the iPod wider. What 9to5mac posted was a MOCK UP, it's just a basic indication of what it could look like. I'm sure it's not exactly what Apple has in store for us, yet everyone here bashes it like it's the freakin Apocholypse. Have faith. It's Apple. It'll be alright.

L3X
Jul 17, 2007, 04:54 PM
This date would be sweet. I'm in the market for a new iMac. I'm still hoping for a black option. iPod doesn't intrigue me as much. The 5G iPods are still nice so i'll get one of those with the BTS discount if i have to.

Eric Lewis
Jul 17, 2007, 05:04 PM
http://9to5mac.com/files/6G-ipod.png

why wouldnt they release ipods with iphone touchscreen etc?

bravedeer
Jul 17, 2007, 05:09 PM
Imagine if the iPod Shuffle were square? :/

[QUOTE=DaBrain;3930132]

totally. That thing is awful... they can at least TRY and make a mock of it with the way apple designs in mind. Thank god they dont design for apple.

No one is going to carry around an almost "square" mp3 player...

how can we believe the rest of their rumors, if they think the new ipods will look like that! hahahaha

ki-goi
Jul 17, 2007, 05:11 PM
i just added up the 9to5mac size guess for the ipod. 3.2"x2.5" would be almost perfect for a device that had the iphone's screen, but not the home button or speaker space.

Bobthemonkey
Jul 17, 2007, 05:32 PM
If they don't go multi-touch with the 6G, how about a large screen with a nano sized (not literally, but ipod nano) click-wheel at the side/bottom.

I'm thinking iPhone, with less unused space a the top, and the wheel where the home button is.

superlatic
Jul 17, 2007, 05:40 PM
apple announced a special event on tues 5th september for tues 12th sept, widely anticipated to include the announcement of C2D imacs

wed 6th sept c2d imacs announced :)

this yr apple announces a special event for august 7th on july 31st, then on wed aug 1st....

you know how the rest goes :)

sthpark7791
Jul 17, 2007, 05:46 PM
Um. it is a shrunk and stretched 5G ipod. there was no art involved. takes like 10 seconds.

Also guess what else is about 1/2 inch wider than an a 5G ipod?

That's right, an iPhone. 6G ipods use the same docks as the iPhone bluetooth dock

guess what else they have...

ummm...the iPhone and 5G iPod are both 2.4"

dontwalkhand
Jul 17, 2007, 05:49 PM
Do not forget guys, Apple still patented a touchscreen clickwheel thing. You can still keep the wheel, and the full screen iPod at the same time.

milo
Jul 17, 2007, 05:53 PM
They use the touch screen for iPhone, and iPhone only. Did you even see the Macworld 07 keynote? Apple's three revolutionary input methods are the mouse for Mac, clickwheel for iPod and multi-touch screen for iPhone. It makes sense, right?

Not really. The clickwheel is a great interface, but it has limitations, one of which is that space that could be used for screen isn't available. If you want the biggest possible screen on the smallest possible device, touchscreen beats clickwheel. Period.

So, the only way to do that and still have a 16:9 screen is to make the iPod wider.

Even if they stick with a clickwheel, it's not the only way to do that. To me, it seems the more obvious option is to make an iPod set up for "landscape" viewing, and if you do a wheel, put it off to the side. There may be one more generation with clickwheel, but the future is definitely touchscreen, it's the only option that makes the most efficient use of space and maximizes screen size.

DaBrain
Jul 17, 2007, 06:04 PM

Here Ya go:

Gymnut
Jul 17, 2007, 06:05 PM
A revision of the iMac next month sounds plausible but I'm doubtful that a new video iPod will be released alongside. I'd like to be wrong because I'd really like to upgrade my 40GB iPod Photo, but I'm more inclined to believe maybe in November we'll hear or see a new video iPod.

vandlism
Jul 17, 2007, 06:06 PM
I had to buy 3 different dock, 1 for each iPod I had (2 gen, 3 gen and now, 5 gen)

Though Apple introduced the Universal dock ever since the introduction of the 5g iPod, and thus far they have stuck to it. Also, the 3g was the first iPod with a dock...so...maybe you have a firewire cable for the 2g?

mickeymikey
Jul 17, 2007, 06:06 PM
Not really. The clickwheel is a great interface, but it has limitations, one of which is that space that could be used for screen isn't available. If you want the biggest possible screen on the smallest possible device, touchscreen beats clickwheel. Period.

Even if they stick with a clickwheel, it's not the only way to do that. To me, it seems the more obvious option is to make an iPod set up for "landscape" viewing, and if you do a wheel, put it off to the side. There may be one more generation with clickwheel, but the future is definitely touchscreen, it's the only option that makes the most efficient use of space and maximizes screen size.

Good response, especially considering Jobs even mentioned that they are developing iPods based on OSX, which goes hand-in-hand with the technology recently deployed in the iPhone.

mickeymikey
Jul 17, 2007, 06:07 PM
Besides, could you image what would happen to iPhone sales if Apple released a product that does exactly the same sans the phone for a lower price?

You do realize that some of us actually use the iPhone to make phone calls, right?

Dont Hurt Me
Jul 17, 2007, 06:12 PM

I'm waiting for the new iMacs to come out too. It seems pointless buying a current model ATM.With once a year updates you bet, I must admit iam interested in what they do with iMac.

peiffman1
Jul 17, 2007, 06:21 PM
so putting 2 and 2 together im holdin out for a quad core 24' iMac that would explain the brushed metal 'Pro' format.

Yes, hold out for the 24' iMac. You may never get another computer. I've always wanted a transparent all in one computer that is bigger than my garage. :eek:

In other news... the apple store is down.

mike dunx
Jul 17, 2007, 06:28 PM
wee man is gonna be the spokesperson for the new ipod.

seriously though that things is sooo ugly

QCassidy352
Jul 17, 2007, 06:33 PM
bah, 4 days too late. I'm in town until the 3rd, and was going to help my mother buy and set up a new imac. Why couldn't this be one week earlier? :(

mojohanna
Jul 17, 2007, 06:42 PM
Well personally, I am looking forward to the new iPods most because I actually plan on getting one of those. My 15GB 3rd gen is getting a little outdated :p However, I really hope that this (http://9to5mac.com/August-Aug-7-seventh-iMacs-Apple-Event-ipod-ipod-micro-nano-3450897543) is not accurate because that would be the ugliest iPod ever. I doubt apple would make something that grotesque.

Also, I want to see the new iMacs just out of curiosity. I have been hearing so much about them for awhile, and although I have no plans on buying one (one more year until college), I am still curious to see what apple can whip up.

Tunes, I completely agree. There is no way Apple would switch to a shape/size like this. It is too drastic. None of anyones size dependent accessories (cases, speaker systems, etc.) would fit on the new device. It would cause every one to replace all of this stuff. While a $30 case is not that big of an issue, a $259 iM7 is a huge deal to replace when it is in perfect working conditon other than an iPod that won't fit in it.

Besides, that mock up is terrible. The proportions seem all out of whack. Doesn't seem like it would fit in your hand very well.

newportmac
Jul 17, 2007, 06:43 PM

If this is true then people at the warehouses will have a busy weekend getting things ready for Monday and the onslaught of order that will pour in over the weekend.

I followed you up until the point of "getting ready for Monday... then totaly lost you on the "pour in over the weekend"..... Tuesday is after both Mondays and Weekends... the onslaught would be when again?

Di9it8
Jul 17, 2007, 06:51 PM
August 7th is a Tuesday. That's how I know this is true. ;)

... not to mention the back-to-school buying season.

There are several Tuesdays before the 7th, to max out on the back to school buyers. ;)

mathwhiz90601
Jul 17, 2007, 07:05 PM
I think they're even guessing the date. I suspect they just picked a Tuesday within the timeframe already rumored for release. It's still early enough to catch some of the back to school sales, but not so early that it would steal any thunder from iPhone's release. Add to that rumors of iLife going GM, and it doesn't take a genius to guess the date that TS did. The only other possible dates are July 31 and August 14 (which is getting a bit late for back to school).

Or 24. 31 is looking best, though.

mathwhiz90601
Jul 17, 2007, 07:17 PM
I'm also skeptical of ThinkSecret after they got it completely wrong at WWDC, and their constant chanting of "brushed aluminum" is getting tiresome.

I was hoping for a July 24 release, but that seems unlikely if we haven't seen any concrete evidence by now. Pity, I would have really appreciated two extra weeks of summer vacation to play with my brand new iMac...

Hey, I was gunning for 24 myself. 31 seems more likely now.

creator2456
Jul 17, 2007, 08:14 PM
In other news... the apple store is down.

Not for me...

PCMacUser
Jul 17, 2007, 08:31 PM
While I wanted to see what these new iMacs will be like, I just couldn't wait for Apple to finish fluffing around so I've built myself a PC instead. No doubt it is significantly faster than whatever the iMacs specs will be. It's just a shame I can't run OS X on it.

rockthecasbah
Jul 17, 2007, 08:32 PM
iMacs and iLife maybe, definitely not for the iPod. The mockup is horrendous, but realistically no chance for the iPod to be wider, what does it get Apple? Wider screen that's still not wide screen? No way they'd make that change. Also, I don't see an iPod coming out before the free iPod deal is done.

pocketrockets
Jul 17, 2007, 09:18 PM
Also, I don't see an iPod coming out before the free iPod deal is done.

I disagree. There's a good chance Apple will roll out the new iPods before the Back to School promotion ends. The new iPods won't qualify for the rebate. That's not going to stop students from buying laptops before school begins and getting the free (old) iPod.

Same thing happened last year. It wouldnt hurt Apple at all.

applecrag
Jul 17, 2007, 09:41 PM
the ipod in the mockup looks like it has to take a *****

pcorajr
Jul 17, 2007, 09:48 PM
I followed you up until the point of "getting ready for Monday... then totaly lost you on the "pour in over the weekend"..... Tuesday is after both Mondays and Weekends... the onslaught would be when again?

Nevermind me i was under the impression that the 7 was a Friday.:confused:

mathwhiz90601
Jul 17, 2007, 09:48 PM
LED Displays maybe? They did that with the new MacBook Pros. It does not seem too far-fetched that they would apply the technology to the new iMac as well.

I agree... I think LED LCD is in because LEDs use less power... less power usage = less heat.... less heat = more stuff they can stick in the computer, including a (hopefully) desktop CPU!!!

swingerofbirch
Jul 17, 2007, 10:00 PM
What I would think would be cool:

6 USB ports!
(maybe even on the side of the computer?)
Power button like on the cube where it's touch sensitive and on the front of the computer
Display capable of 1080p (I know the 24" one already is)
If the keyboard is to be redone, make it flatter, slimmer, more touch type like, and spill resistant
And for the mouse, basically anything other than the might mouse would be an improvement

mathwhiz90601
Jul 17, 2007, 10:00 PM
They use the touch screen for iPhone, and iPhone only. Did you even see the Macworld 07 keynote? Apple's three revolutionary input methods are the mouse for Mac, clickwheel for iPod and multi-touch screen for iPhone. It makes sense, right? No, not to the majority of mindless Apple geeks running around here. Ever since iPhone came out, everyone expects every Apple product to grace a touch screen. It sickens me. Besides, could you image what would happen to iPhone sales if Apple released a product that does exactly the same sans the phone for a lower price? Exactly.

The next generation iPod WILL have a physical clickwheel. Apple invented the clickwheel, it works great, it's easy, you can play/pause and skip a track without looking at the device at all. It's here to stay. So, the only way to do that and still have a 16:9 screen is to make the iPod wider. What 9to5mac posted was a MOCK UP, it's just a basic indication of what it could look like. I'm sure it's not exactly what Apple has in store for us, yet everyone here bashes it like it's the freakin Apocholypse. Have faith. It's Apple. It'll be alright.

I don't like the clickwheel... touchscreen is better for an iPod. I would agree that the iPod is going to be horizontal, not vertical. It won't have nearly the functionality as the iPhone since the iPhone's true uniqueness is that it can send and recieve signals. The iPod probably never will; it will use the space for the hard drive for the big ones and just be skinny for the nanos. The nanos won't get touchscreens in order to keep down costs.

xpovos
Jul 17, 2007, 10:16 PM
Does anyone remember Apple's Web site at the start of the year? "The first 30 years were only the beginning. Welcome to 2007."

Now more than half over, has 2007 seen anything significant from Apple, besides a $600 phone on the wrong carrier? Any new iPods? (iPhone doesn't count; nobody cares about a VIDEO iPod with only 8GB.) Any truly significant updates to ANY Mac model? Any actual "top secret" features revealed in a repeat performance of a previous keynote speech?

The only thing revolutionary about Apple in 2007 has been its disdain for anything revolutionary where its core business was concerned. As such, banking on their track record this year, you might want to curb your enthusiasm for a new iMac. Why should it be any different than any of their other computer updates this year? Which means you'll get a new processor, maybe a new graphics card, maybe (or not) a better hard drive, and that's about it. You might get a defect-ridden new LED display.

I really hope I'm wrong.

PCMacUser
Jul 17, 2007, 10:58 PM
Does anyone remember Apple's Web site at the start of the year? "The first 30 years were only the beginning. Welcome to 2007."

Now more than half over, has 2007 seen anything significant from Apple, besides a $600 phone on the wrong carrier? Any new iPods? (iPhone doesn't count; nobody cares about a VIDEO iPod with only 8GB.) Any truly significant updates to ANY Mac model? Any actual "top secret" features revealed in a repeat performance of a previous keynote speech?

Personally I think the Macbook Pro release was pretty good. While not revolutionary, the updates gave a nice refresh to the range - especially to the 2.2GHz base model. As for the iPhone, this is basically Apple's way of giving the 'finger' to the rest of the world outside the USA. The Macbook update was very disappointing. Leopard would've been good, ah, about 2 months ago.

Let's see what happens with the iMac. I'm only interested out of curiosity now. My new PC will handle what I need right now, and I've always got my iBook if I need some OS X lovin'.

jcrowe
Jul 17, 2007, 11:18 PM
I disagree. There's a good chance Apple will roll out the new iPods before the Back to School promotion ends. The new iPods won't qualify for the rebate. That's not going to stop students from buying laptops before school begins and getting the free (old) iPod.

Same thing happened last year. It wouldnt hurt Apple at all.

I'd expect a new iPod to have the same formfactor and display/controls as the iPhone, but without anything other than the iPod functionality. It should be quite doable and amount to leveraging off of the R&D of the iPhone. It would have a great functionality for watching movies and so forth and it would not need a click wheel. Further, it could have the same portrait/landscape mode function of the iPhone.....as to the iMacs and iLife, it's actually due so perhaps this will happen. I think it certainly needs to.

MacinDoc
Jul 17, 2007, 11:57 PM
Or 24. 31 is looking best, though.
The problem with the 24th is that we haven't had an announcement of a media event yet. If the iMac has a new form factor and will be introduced with iLife '07, you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be a media event, which Apple will need to announce at least a week in advance.

BKKbill
Jul 18, 2007, 12:24 AM
"anodised - brushed aluminum" white plastic. What ever it is I will be getting it when OX10 comes out although I do like the sound of aluminium. By then maybe Blue-ray, iLife, iWorks and a minor bump of specs. Hate waiting but it will be worth it at least for me. :)

JGowan
Jul 18, 2007, 01:05 AM
I am so there!

Father Jack
Jul 18, 2007, 01:10 AM
We are owed something special (besides Leopard) in the second half of 2007 .. ;)

reallynotnick
Jul 18, 2007, 01:30 AM
I really wish they would put a built in TV tuner for the iMac and a Blu-Ray (or HD-DVD, someone please win), it would be SOOO kick ass to have a 24in 1080p screen, oh yeah and 2 HDMI ports and one component for good measure.
Throw in a quad core processor and I will be all over that.

As for the iPod I can't wait to see what they do with it, it has been way too long since an update. I just hope they don't surprise us by making all these new features we don't really want and skipping all the ones we do (WiFi, and large touch screen).

4np
Jul 18, 2007, 02:30 AM
If they again release a new version of the current iPods instead of a new OSX widescreen iPod I'm gonna be quite annoyed.... we have been speculating about this for about two years now. C'mon!

phalewhale
Jul 18, 2007, 02:37 AM

The only thing revolutionary about Apple in 2007 has been its disdain for anything revolutionary where its core business was concerned. As such, banking on their track record this year, you might want to curb your enthusiasm for a new iMac. Why should it be any different than any of their other computer updates this year? Which means you'll get a new processor, maybe a new graphics card, maybe (or not) a better hard drive, and that's about it. You might get a defect-ridden new LED display.

I really hope I'm wrong.

I agree about the defect-ridden LED display's. I recently was upgraded to a new MacBook Pro because of audio problems on 2 MacBooks and long trips to the Apple Store. The customer service was fantastic though. But these new LED screens were abysmal for pro machines. Whilst some people haven't had any problems, both my new MBPs developed stuck/dead pixels after the first restart on the machine, and the bottom half of the screens were clearly darker on light colours. The manager at the apple store told me that I should go for a different computer because this is the way ALL MBP's are.

So, if the new iMacs come with LED screens, which I doubt anyway but you never know, you can keep them apple. Sell them to someone else.

My new 24" iMac with wireless K&M that I got for £900 - yes only £900 from the Apple store due to the problems I've had - that will do me fine for a good few years to come. Unless it has a problem of course - not opened it yet!

I am reluctant to buy any new/revised products with new components like LED LCDs because of the problems I've encountered.

mathwhiz90601
Jul 18, 2007, 03:35 AM
I poked around the ACD page at the Apple store and saw this:

All Apple Cinema Displays match the sculpted aluminum enclosures of the Mac Pro, Power Mac G5, MacBook Pro and PowerBook. Apple designers carefully chose this hue to minimize interference with color onscreen, providing a neutral reference point for viewing your work.

This completely convinces me that the new iMacs will be aluminum. It seems to be the most advantageous color out there for a display according to apple!

AlexisV
Jul 18, 2007, 03:40 AM
I thought a white surround enhanced the vibrancy of colours, whereas grey has the opposite effect and makes white actually take on a slight grey tinge.

boobooq88
Jul 18, 2007, 03:41 AM
http://www.mp3buzz.net/index.php/2006/03/06/video-of-6th-gen-ipod/

this site has a couple videos from youtube of widescreen/touchscreen ipods. Most look fake but a couple look like they may actually be the real thing.. NOTE THE "MAY"... just something to look into :)

ajdphoto
Jul 18, 2007, 04:16 AM
There are 177 posts at this point and im not going to read ALL of them to see if im repeating myself. So here it goes...

Ever since Apple announced the iPhone there have been a number of people who wanted to wait and see if the phone would be as revolutionary as they said it would. Some people have been on the fence about getting a new ipod or not (im in that category). I understand the iPod is the device that has changed how people listen to music and the biggest selling product that comes out of apple, but what sense would it make to release the iPod in august, just shy of two months with the iPhone on the market. Wouldnt it make more sense that apple would ride the wave of the iPhone for as long as possible before releasing a new ipod? Especially if the new iPod is widescreen and runs OS X. If that were the case anyone that would be contemplating the iphone because of the widescreen feature would surely get an ipod. No, I think apple is going to wait till november, either early on or right around thanksgiving, just in time for christmas shopping season. More people would be willing to pay $250 for a new ipod thats widescreen than $499 for a phone that would force the person to pay at least $59 dollars a month. thats just what I think. . .

kin
Jul 18, 2007, 04:59 AM
Just hope they are still keeping the Mac Mini alive.I don't really think the iPod is coming so soon. It'll be probably out for Christmas sales. Last year Nano and Shuffle dominated that period. This time the focus should be on the Wide iPod, while the Nano n Shuffle will be only updates with bigger drive.

toughboy
Jul 18, 2007, 05:09 AM
iMac Pro? And with the previous rumors spelling the demise of the 17", why not...

All I want to see is an iMac Special Edition. An edition for gamers.. :cool:

With the latest 'so called-Extreme' processors and the greatest graphics cards, an iMac would be an ultimate choice for every gamer who wants to play their games on a decent operating system and wanna see a cool looking machine in their homes. iMac SE can also be black anodized aluminum.

And for the ones thinking about heat and fan noise and etc., I don't think 15 year olds would care about a little more fan noise while wandering Karazhan* (World of Warcraft instance) :rolleyes: iMac is already death-silent, PCers use machines waaaay to louder..:cool::apple:

chevitron
Jul 18, 2007, 05:19 AM
First of all, I haven't had enough time to read all the threads.

So my guess about the iPod is that the 6G Video iPod will be full-screen with a virtual click-wheel (indeed, I remember have seen fake picts). This means taking advantage of the multi-touch technology, but keeping the ICONIC wheel for iPods. Also, this way, there will be enough differences (product speaking) with the iPhone.

The traditional click wheel will remain in the iPod nano, which could be shortened in lenght (since it is NOT video).

Cloudsurfer
Jul 18, 2007, 05:29 AM
Good response, especially considering Jobs even mentioned that they are developing iPods based on OSX, which goes hand-in-hand with the technology recently deployed in the iPhone.

It's obvious that an OS X based iPod would benefit from things like Cover Flow and other animations. Not everything revolves around touch screens.

You do realize that some of us actually use the iPhone to make phone calls, right?

Yeah, so? That still doesn't rid the fact that a 30+ GB iPod with touch controls would eat away sales from iPhone.

Nym
Jul 18, 2007, 07:35 AM
If Apple doesn't release a Virtual Clickwheel system with multitouch on the new iPods there's going to be a mass suicide on MR :)

Imo the new iPod will be touchscreen.

But the iMac being named "iMac Special Edition" is completely UN-APPLE :D

It looks something out of a M$ product box.. blarghh, special edition... LOL

RichardI
Jul 18, 2007, 08:14 AM
Man, I really want an improved and more muscular iMac. I've got my fingers crossed. I'm a lot more interested in the "guts" of the iMac than how it looks on the outside - I actually really like the look of the current iMac (go figure:eek:). As you can likely guess, I come from the PC world and I'm switching to Mac when Leopard comes out. Thing is, I can't afford a Mac Pro (and besides it looks too much like my PC), so I'm hoping for a really honkin' iMac. Hey, I can dream can't I?

Rich :cool:

RumMunkey
Jul 18, 2007, 08:15 AM
I can't be the only one who thinks (assumes, even) that the next iPod will be touch-screen with a click-wheel interface ON THE TOUCH SCREEN like this mock-up:

http://files.hainsworth.com/blog/ipod_video_mockup.jpg

NightCastle
Jul 18, 2007, 08:17 AM
Long time lurker, first time poster. I don't typically make posts like this on boards that I frequent, but I couldn't help this one. Some are better than others. This was inspired by the squatty iPod mockup that has been posted as a possible new iPod Video.

1. miniMePod
2. shortPod
3. iSquat
4. iStout
5. iSquint
6. iPod Video for stumpy fingers
7. iPout
8. iNeedToLooseWeight
9. iWontBuy
10. iCouldntCareLess
11. iRumor
12. iPod VideHo
13. iStump
14. iSquared
15. iNapolean Video
16. True Crampeo iPod
17. iWontFit
18. iNeedNewAccessories

sanford
Jul 18, 2007, 08:28 AM

That mock-up is just a squished video iPod. I'd expect it won't be ugly. But otherwise, beside perhaps 40GB storage in the low-end capacity, thinner model, the wider screen to support wide-screen content, this makes sense to me. I've spent quite a bit of time playing with the iPhone interface, and it's quite cool, but for large music and/or video collection -- you know, the kind you'd store on a full-size iPod the click-wheel remains *leagues* ahead of the multi-touch interface. In fact, this would give me some real faith in Apple's plan for future consumer electronics devices: use the best interface, not the newest and therefore at least temporarily the most gee-whiz. Also, the iPhone gets smudgy, dirty, greasy -- which we're used to with mobile phone screens -- and contrary to what some reviewers have said, you do notice. Makes more sense to have a video iPod that doesn't require you touch the screen and for which you can use a case that protects (completely covers) the screen.

Only problem is, although I use TV video out on my iPod to watch video from my iPod when we're away -- Apple TV at home -- I don't like to watch video on the small screen much at all. Bigger and wider by the degree possible on an iPod won't improve that. But I've been wanting a new iPod just because I want a new iPod; the battery probably has *at least* another 18 months of full service life in it and because of the way I use mine, that screen change isn't going to be enough to make me buy a new one. Although, *not* feeling the compulsion to buy something new with a fair-size chunk of cash all in one place is not necessarily a bad thing.

toughboy
Jul 18, 2007, 08:48 AM
But the iMac being named "iMac Special Edition" is completely UN-APPLE :D

It looks something out of a M$ product box.. blarghh, special edition... LOL

Actually I dont care what the name is.. All I wanted to say is that iMac currently is/was not a good choice for the gamer community. iMac SE (or whatever the name is) should equip the best available options like Radeon X2900XT or Nvidia 8800 with desktop class processors instead of mobiles...

mambodancer
Jul 18, 2007, 08:58 AM
I thought a white surround enhanced the vibrancy of colours, whereas grey has the opposite effect and makes white actually take on a slight grey tinge.

Which is exactly the problem.

To artists, this optical effect is known as Simultaneous Color Contrast wherein dark objects, when surrounded by white appear lighter in color and light objects when surrounded by black appear darker. That's why, in a gallery the walls should be painted a 5th value or neutral-value grey so the viewers perception of the painting is accurate. What surrounds the form, influences our perception of the form.

Surrounding a computer screen in white plastic would have a similar effect on your perception of color. A neutral value, along the lines of the Mac Pro enclosures, would be better suited for framing the image on an iMac screen.

plumbingandtech
Jul 18, 2007, 09:09 AM
I can't be the only one who thinks (assumes, even) that the next iPod will be touch-screen with a click-wheel interface ON THE TOUCH SCREEN like this mock-up:

You aren't.

Thousands have already specualted this, and if they do this form factor it won't have the wheel displayed on it.

It will have the same audio and video controls of the iPhone.

TheBigL
Jul 18, 2007, 09:19 AM

Now that may be the naughtiest thing I've heard on this forum.. lol

But back on topic, I have been dying for the new iMac to come out.. August
7th... I can only hope and pray its true..

-Terry

mickeymikey
Jul 18, 2007, 09:23 AM
I can't be the only one who thinks (assumes, even) that the next iPod will be touch-screen with a click-wheel interface ON THE TOUCH SCREEN

Before seeing and owning the iPhone, I'd totally agree with you that a virtual click-wheel was the next step. Hey, it seemed logical at the time. However, Apple, in typical fashion, was thinking well beyond even their current success and working toward the multi-touch interface.

After using the iPod on the iPhone for several weeks now, I have begun to dislike using my older click-wheel based iPods. They're just so slow and clunky in accessing music compared to the iPhone. Spinning your thumb around in a circle to go through thousands of songs is slow and inaccurate. Why use an intermediary to manipulate objects when you can manipulate objects themselves. Whether its list view, album view, or cover-flow, finding and playing songs is fast and amazingly fun.

Each person that I let play with my phone is just amazed at the ease of use and the "connection" that you have with finding music. Again, it's just FUN! Every time it ends with "I HAVE to get one of these". Sure the iPod has been a success because it's a good product/system, but it has never had the "wow" factor of the multi-touch interface. Strip off the phone, add some serious capacity, and the new iPod is going to blow-away its previous sales success.

If you haven't lived with the iPhone and iPod both, you just can't fully appreciate the interface enough to see that the click-wheel is yesterday's success. I just can't see Apple not using this amazing new interface wherever they can.

Now, let's see that new iMac!

Nym
Jul 18, 2007, 09:24 AM
You aren't.

Thousands have already specualted this, and if they do this form factor it won't have the wheel displayed on it.

It will have the same audio and video controls of the iPhone.

"It will", "it wont", excuse but.. do you work for Apple? How can you say that "It will have the same audio and video controls of the iPhone" for sure? :O Your guess is as good as the next poster's.

Actually I dont care what the name is.. All I wanted to say is that iMac currently is/was not a good choice for the gamer community. iMac SE (or whatever the name is) should equip the best available options like Radeon X2900XT or Nvidia 8800 with desktop class processors instead of mobiles...

Yeah mate, I know, I was just messing with you.
Anyway, I created a thread about 2 weeks ago about the possibility of Apple splitting the iMac category into two.
The iMac and the iMac Pro.

Now, be honest! Doesn't "iMac Pro" sound better than "iMac SE"? Eheheh.

mickeymikey
Jul 18, 2007, 09:49 AM
I created a thread about 2 weeks ago about the possibility of Apple splitting the iMac category into two.
The iMac and the iMac Pro.

I could see that.

I currently use a PowerMac as my primary workstation, but it's far more power than I really need. However, the current mobile based iMac is a bit underpowered for me. I'd like to go full Intel, but I don't want to jump into another underutilized and high-priced Mac Pro. So, an iMac Pro would be perfect. Apple seems to be pretty good at identifying markets. Surely they know that there are plenty of us wanting something "in between".

sanford
Jul 18, 2007, 09:49 AM
Before seeing and owning the iPhone, I'd totally agree with you that a virtual click-wheel was the next step. Hey, it seemed logical at the time. However, Apple, in typical fashion, was thinking well beyond even their current success and working toward the multi-touch interface.

After using the iPod on the iPhone for several weeks now, I have begun to dislike using my older click-wheel based iPods. They're just so slow and clunky in accessing music compared to the iPhone. Spinning your thumb around in a circle to go through thousands of songs is slow and inaccurate. Why use an intermediary to manipulate objects when you can manipulate objects themselves. Whether its list view, album view, or cover-flow, finding and playing songs is fast and amazingly fun.

Each person that I let play with my phone is just amazed at the ease of use and the "connection" that you have with finding music. Again, it's just FUN! Every time it ends with "I HAVE to get one of these". Sure the iPod has been a success because it's a good product/system, but it has never had the "wow" factor of the multi-touch interface. Strip off the phone, add some serious capacity, and the new iPod is going to blow-away its previous sales success.

If you haven't lived with the iPhone and iPod both, you just can't fully appreciate the interface enough to see that the click-wheel is yesterday's success. I just can't see Apple not using this amazing new interface wherever they can.

Now, let's see that new iMac!

The multi-touch interface is horrible at scrolling through long lists. Short lists, it's great; superior to the click-wheel. I mean, to each his own, but I've used a friend's extensively and it's one of the major reasons I waffled and probably won't buy one. For a small amount of music on a 4GB or 8GB, sure. But even with a lot of music on his 8GB model, it was a pain; I couldn't wait to get back to the easy, fast scrolling of the click-wheel.

And how can you compare, really? Even if you devote all the usable space on an 8GB to music, it can barely hold the number of songs as my 30GB video iPod can hold albums. I think it's a great interface for the iPhone. I think the mouse is a great interface for a computer, but I wouldn't want to use it to control a toaster.

Porchland
Jul 18, 2007, 09:55 AM

I think Apple will move your direction. I don't see any reason why Apple would use a virtual click wheel for an iPod widescreen when it doesn't use one for the iPhone. Apple is all about unifying the look, feel and user experience of its products up and down the line, and they will want the iPod to have a very similar user experience to the iPhone.

There's definitely a possibility of a widescreen iPod cannibalizing the iPhone market, but Apple did a fantastic job of differentiating the iPod mini/nano from the iPod on storage, physical size and price. I think they'll distinguish the iPhone from the iPod on phone functionality (iPhone has it; iPod doesn't), storage (iPod will be much larger), battery life (iPod will have longer battery life), size (iPod will be flatter and lighter) and price (iPod will be cheaper).

Those differences should be enough to clearly define separate markets.

BKKbill
Jul 18, 2007, 09:58 AM
Welllll if you don't want to bother your self to read the posts why the hell are you even bothering to waste our time putting your 2 cents in. Just read the posts like every one else who cares about this site. Do you really think you are so much more important than all the other people on Mac rumors that read all the posts?

There are 177 posts at this point and im not going to read ALL of them to see if im repeating myself. So here it goes...

Ever since Apple announced the iPhone there have been a number of people who wanted to wait and see if the phone would be as revolutionary as they said it would. Some people have been on the fence about getting a new ipod or not (im in that category). I understand the iPod is the device that has changed how people listen to music and the biggest selling product that comes out of apple, but what sense would it make to release the iPod in august, just shy of two months with the iPhone on the market. Wouldnt it make more sense that apple would ride the wave of the iPhone for as long as possible before releasing a new ipod? Especially if the new iPod is widescreen and runs OS X. If that were the case anyone that would be contemplating the iphone because of the widescreen feature would surely get an ipod. No, I think apple is going to wait till november, either early on or right around thanksgiving, just in time for christmas shopping season. More people would be willing to pay $250 for a new ipod thats widescreen than $499 for a phone that would force the person to pay at least $59 dollars a month. thats just what I think. . .

gloss
Jul 18, 2007, 09:58 AM
The multi-touch interface is horrible at scrolling through long lists. Short lists, it's great; superior to the click-wheel. I mean, to each his own, but I've used a friend's extensively and it's one of the major reasons I waffled and probably won't buy one. For a small amount of music on a 4GB or 8GB, sure. But even with a lot of music on his 8GB model, it was a pain; I couldn't wait to get back to the easy, fast scrolling of the click-wheel.

And how can you compare, really? Even if you devote all the usable space on an 8GB to music, it can barely hold the number of songs as my 30GB video iPod can hold albums. I think it's a great interface for the iPhone. I think the mouse is a great interface for a computer, but I wouldn't want to use it to control a toaster.

Multi-touch would be fantastic for large collections, IMO. They just need to provide the same 'alphabet list' that they have on the iPhone's contacts list, so that you can zoom through your collection by letter. No-brainer.

Or, hell, an active search function, which they already have on current iPods, so I can't see being an issue with the rumored multi-touch iPod.

sanford
Jul 18, 2007, 10:00 AM
I think Apple will move your direction. I don't see any reason why Apple would use a virtual click wheel for an iPod widescreen when it doesn't use one for the iPhone. Apple is all about unifying the look, feel and user experience of its products up and down the line, and they will want the iPod to have a very similar user experience to the iPhone.

There's definitely a possibility of a widescreen iPod cannibalizing the iPhone market, but Apple did a fantastic job of differentiating the iPod mini/nano from the iPod on storage, physical size and price. I think they'll distinguish the iPhone from the iPod on phone functionality (iPhone has it; iPod doesn't), storage (iPod will be much larger), battery life (iPod will have longer battery life), size (iPod will be flatter and lighter) and price (iPod will be cheaper).

I do agree that if Apple replaces the click-wheel in the video iPods -- which I hope they don't -- they won't replace it with a virtual version on the screen. They'll use the multi-touch interface of the iPhone. Of course if they use the same processing power as in the iPhone, iPods are going to slow down a bit. The iPhone is pretty "snappy" but it's not as fast changing menus, screens, etc., as an iPod with all those high-resolution graphics to draw.

sanford
Jul 18, 2007, 10:02 AM
Multi-touch would be fantastic for large collections, IMO. They just need to provide the same 'alphabet list' that they have on the iPhone's contacts list, so that you can zoom through your collection by letter. No-brainer.

Or, hell, an active search function, which they already have on current iPods, so I can't see being an issue with the rumored multi-touch iPod.

It's the scrolling that's the problem. If they revise the interface so that if you, say, drag you finger to the bottom of the screen and it keeps scrolling, it will be much better. But having to repeatedly stroke the screen to scroll through long lists is a pain. Even on some of the shorter lists on the iPhone.

acrafton
Jul 18, 2007, 10:03 AM

Exactly. . .and to the comments that it would hurt sales to come out with a widescreen IPod. . .no, not really. I will not buy an IPhone because it doesn't mesh with my companies bb system and I hate AT&T. Same with my wife, my neighbor, and most of the people I work with. . .

However, we will ALL buy a widescreen IPod with touch screen - I will buy two, but if they come out with a fatboy IPod without touch screen I will wait or buy a different product. . .

So sales will actually go UP as people who want phones buy them and people who don't will have something else to buy.

KingofAwesome
Jul 18, 2007, 10:05 AM
the only copy of mac os x you can buy off the shelves right now is tiger for ppc, which doesn't include ilife. ilife only comes shipped with new macs, and it's never been packed with the operating system itself.

iLife can definitely be purchased separately. As for OS X being sold PPC-only, that's because no new version of OS X has come out since the Intel machines first came out.

Now hold on a second there, your comparison suggests that your albums contain an average of 3.75 songs each. I'll grant that it's only roughly a quarter of the space of a 30GB iPod, but exaggerations do nothing but discredit what would otherwise be a perfectly valid point.

acrafton
Jul 18, 2007, 10:11 AM

Keep in mind that many people need and want a PHONE not just an IPod. The blending/confusion of the two devices as an either/or is a mistake. As I mentioned there are many people who will NEVER buy an IPhone for a variety of reasons (millions perhaps) but will jump at the next gen IPhone with widescreen. Also keep in mind that the PROFIT on a new IPod may exceed that of the IPhone (even if the price is lower) due to the pulling out of expensive content (flash drive, wifi, sw, etc.).

BKKbill
Jul 18, 2007, 10:21 AM
This is what it is all about even for god forbid Apple It does keep the wheels turning and the prices lower. :)

So sales will actually go UP as people who want phones buy them and people who don't will have something else to buy.

rbroady
Jul 18, 2007, 10:47 AM

great point, i feel they will do something big to really set it appart from the iphone. we will just have to wait and see, i cant wait

mickeymikey
Jul 18, 2007, 11:14 AM

From your comments, I can tell that your really don't have much "seat time" with the iPhone. When scrolling through albums, artists, songs etc. the phone has the A to Z strip on the side just like the Contacts (see pic). All you have to do is press Z, and you're looking at ZZ Top, etc., INSTANTLY. With a click-wheel, you have to scroll for days to get the end of a long list.

Click-wheel is linear, not random access like multi-touch. Multi-touch not good for long lists? Sorry, you're mistaken. Take another look.

PS - In addition to the large capacity video iPods that live in the cars, I have several 8GB nanos for portability. So, it's pretty easy to compare to the iPhone. 8GB vs 8GB. For me, the iPhone is MUCH easier!

Daringescape
Jul 18, 2007, 11:45 AM
I was at the dentist yesterday and the hygienist saw my iPhone and was telling me about a patient that had an Apple product about the size of a phone with a slide out keyboard. She said it had number engraved on the back (control number Im assuming) and he really wouldn't let her see it.

I know it sounds like one of those my brothers girlfriends boss daughters etc... so take it for what its worth.

mathwhiz90601
Jul 18, 2007, 12:20 PM
WHY are we all speculating on ipods in an IMAC forum?!?! Get your own threads.

The iMac: Two lines possible. I'd like it.

I don't think any iMac will sell with less than 1GB RAM or 250GB HDD. Aluminum enclosures sound good, especially with the color-neutrality issue since consumers will want to do photo editing on them, which would require precise colors.

Processors will see a bump, possibly to Mobile Extreme or desktops, possibly quad.

I still am holding out for a July revision.

LoganT
Jul 18, 2007, 12:48 PM
WHY are we all speculating on ipods in an IMAC forum?!?! Get your own threads.

The iMac: Two lines possible. I'd like it.

I don't think any iMac will sell with less than 1GB RAM or 250GB HDD. Aluminum enclosures sound good, especially with the color-neutrality issue since consumers will want to do photo editing on them, which would require precise colors.

Processors will see a bump, possibly to Mobile Extreme or desktops, possibly quad.

I still am holding out for a July revision.

This is an Apple forum.

®achaeL
Jul 18, 2007, 01:12 PM
What are the odds that the new iMac will be the same or around the same cost of the current iMacs?? Somebody told me they would be the same cost... but when does a company release a better model for less??? They would have to further reduce the cost of the current ones.

verniesgarden
Jul 18, 2007, 01:13 PM
And how can you compare, really? Even if you devote all the usable space on an 8GB to music, it can barely hold the number of songs as my 30GB video iPod can hold albums.

Now hold on a second there, your comparison suggests that your albums contain an average of 3.75 songs each. I'll grant that it's only roughly a quarter of the space of a 30GB iPod, but exaggerations do nothing but discredit what would otherwise be a perfectly valid point.

I think you misinterpreted him, what he was saying was the number of albums on his 30 gig ipod exceeds what the average max number of songs can fit on a 8gig iphone, which is very easily done

verniesgarden
Jul 18, 2007, 01:23 PM
I was at the dentist yesterday and the hygienist saw my iPhone and was telling me about a patient that had an Apple product about the size of a phone with a slide out keyboard. She said it had number engraved on the back (control number Im assuming) and he really wouldn't let her see it.

I know it sounds like one of those my brothers girlfriends boss daughters etc... so take it for what its worth.

couldnt of been an apple product, can you think of anything they've ever made thats had a slide out anything, everything i can think of have been a seamless all-in-one smooth design

i think your dentist is BSing

Daringescape
Jul 18, 2007, 01:37 PM
couldnt of been an apple product, can you think of anything they've ever made thats had a slide out anything, everything i can think of have been a seamless all-in-one smooth design

i think your dentist is BSing

I kind of thought the same thing... but I was thinking maybe it was an iPhone design that never made it to production and he still had it?? I doubt that Apple would let those be out there still though.

I dont know, I just thought it was interesting. She did say he is from the Ukraine, there cant be that many Apple employees that high up with Russian accents.

OK, Now Im just rambling, Ill stop.

mathwhiz90601
Jul 18, 2007, 01:42 PM
I kind of thought the same thing... but I was thinking maybe it was an iPhone design that never made it to production and he still had it?? I doubt that Apple would let those be out there still though.

I dont know, I just thought it was interesting. She did say he is from the Ukraine, there cant be that many Apple employees that high up with Russian accents.

OK, Now Im just rambling, Ill stop.

Maybe it's an ex-Soviet techno thingie.

®achaeL
Jul 18, 2007, 02:56 PM
What are the odds that the new iMac will be the same or around the same cost of the current iMacs?? Somebody told me they would be the same cost... but when does a company release a better model for less??? They would have to further reduce the cost of the current ones.

NickD
Jul 18, 2007, 02:57 PM
Apple has definitely had a track record in releasing better machines at lower costs consistently over the years. I wouldn't be too surprised if the new machines cost less than the current ones, if not the same price.

gkarris
Jul 18, 2007, 03:01 PM

http://files.hainsworth.com/blog/ipod_video_mockup.jpg

Why would Apple bother with a touchscreen clickwheel when they can use the iPhone touchscreen gestures???

Irishman
Jul 18, 2007, 03:11 PM
I WANT this rumor to be true. Therefore it will be. :)

Seriously, has anyone given any thought to plausible upgrades we'll see? Other than the stated processor bump and glowy keyboard, I mean.

I'd love to see an upgradeable graphics interface...whether it be AGP, PCIEE, whatever.

More affordable half- and full-terabyte drives. They're available now. An 8 series nvidia graphics card, with 256 or even 512 MB SDRAM. An inboard Dolby Digital surround audio processor so you could output movies to a true 5.1 system.

Default bluetooth and wifi, but dump the gigabit ethernet. Who cares for it on an iMac? I love they're ditching the 17 incher and focusing on the 20 and 24 inchers. Higher resolutions mean they could do something awesome like put a Blu-ray drive in there. Full HD movies...mmmmmmmmmmm

Anyon else got a feature wishlist?

c.joe.go
Jul 18, 2007, 03:19 PM
http://www.appletell.com/apple/comment/new-imac-details-surface/

don't know the reliability of this..... but what the hell.

whiteboytrash
Jul 18, 2007, 03:48 PM
Why would Apple bother with a touchscreen clickwheel when they can use the iPhone touchscreen jestures???

Agreed. The important thing to make it simple for users of iPhone, iPod and iMac is that the interfaces and gestures (note spelling - where not clowns here) are the same..... the one product line that doesn't have mass market appeal like the iPhone or iPod is the iMac...... how easy would it be for someone who has reservations about OSX to switch to an iMac from a PC because they have used multi-touch OSX on their iPod or iPhone......... its the KISS principle..... KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID......... ever used Lotus Notes ? I hate it.... why ? Because it doesn't store its common commands the same way Windows/MS applications do....... its not a bad product but I'm so used to using windows and MS office that when I want to refresh my screen or check spelling I cant find the short-cut key or menu option even thou I've been using Notes for 10 years !

Apple use this principle very well........ or will use it very well....

viper002060
Jul 18, 2007, 03:55 PM
if they seriously release an ipod that looks like that weird square thing, they're out of their minds.

MacinDoc
Jul 18, 2007, 03:56 PM
Apple has definitely had a track record in releasing better machines at lower costs consistently over the years. I wouldn't be too surprised if the new machines cost less than the current ones, if not the same price.
My impression is that Apple usually releases better models at approximately the same price. What will be interesting is whether the low-end iMac will remain at approximately the same price if the 17" model is dropped (I predict a $100 increase in the base model price if the 17" is dropped).

verniesgarden
Jul 18, 2007, 04:18 PM
i hope they don't get rid of the 17" imac, shoot i wish they'd make a super sleek 13" imac mini for the living room or kitchen

mathwhiz90601
Jul 18, 2007, 05:27 PM
i hope they don't get rid of the 17" imac, shoot i wish they'd make a super sleek 13" imac mini for the living room or kitchen

I've got a 13" iMac but its the opposite of super sleek.... its a CRT G3! Muhahaha!

Eidorian
Jul 18, 2007, 05:31 PM
I've got a 13" iMac but its the opposite of super sleek.... its a CRT G3! Muhahaha!15" friend.

WannaGoMac
Jul 18, 2007, 05:55 PM
Hmm, i doubt they will add LEDs. Cost too much I expect...

WannaGoMac
Jul 18, 2007, 05:57 PM
Welllll if you don't want to bother your self to read the posts why the hell are you even bothering to waste our time putting your 2 cents in. Just read the posts like every one else who cares about this site. Do you really think you are so much more important than all the other people on Mac rumors that read all the posts?

ANgry much?

mathwhiz90601
Jul 18, 2007, 06:19 PM
15" friend.

You mean all this time I thought I had a 13" screen?

SiliconAddict
Jul 18, 2007, 06:26 PM
I don't buy the wider iPod rumor. The thing would be way to cumbersome.

SiliconAddict
Jul 18, 2007, 06:28 PM
Hmm, i doubt they will add LEDs. Cost too much I expect...

Pretty pointless on a desktop. The amount of power saved for a laptop is a lot. For a desktop? Meh.

Why would Apple bother with a touchscreen clickwheel when they can use the iPhone touchscreen gestures???

They damn well better not loose the wheel. Gestures are useless if you want to use your iPod one handed.

yetanotherdave
Jul 18, 2007, 07:06 PM
Pretty pointless on a desktop. The amount of power saved for a laptop is a lot. For a desktop? Meh.

Greener, better backlighting consistency (no dark patches), less heat, lower power is always better

They damn well better not loose the wheel. Gestures are useless if you want to use your iPod one handed.

The wheel is good, but if they want a big widescreen it's going to have to go. Apple have never let sentimentality, or cutting a good feature get in the way of progress/better/the next big thing.

mathwhiz90601
Jul 18, 2007, 07:07 PM

LED's run cooler, which means in the iMac that they can put in a better CPU!!! :D

Eidorian
Jul 18, 2007, 08:56 PM
You mean all this time I thought I had a 13" screen?Yep

SiliconAddict
Jul 18, 2007, 09:42 PM
Greener, better backlighting consistency (no dark patches), less heat, lower power is always better

The wheel is good, but if they want a big widescreen it's going to have to go. Apple have never let sentimentality, or cutting a good feature get in the way of progress/better/the next big thing.

Greener is relative. The amount of power being consumed by the display is marginal.

Again they better not or I will pick up a current gen iPod and buy something else for video. I spend 80% of my day in the car. When I'm at a stoplight I want to scroll to an album and select it one handed while keeping an eye on the light and one hand on the wheel.

ImAlwaysRight
Jul 18, 2007, 10:19 PM
What are the odds that the new iMac will be the same or around the same cost of the current iMacs?? ... when does a company release a better model for less???

When it has been 11 MONTHS since it has updated the product. Think of how much prices have gone down in the last 11 months on the components in the iMac, yet Apple is selling these iMacs at the same retail price. Apple is making quite a large profit on these iMacs and could easily introduce a better model and sell it for less $.

ingenious
Jul 18, 2007, 10:28 PM
that's what i meant to point out, thanks.

iBlackMac anyone?!?!

ahem, iMac black...

by any means, how ever much I do love the current design, it is time for a refresh along the lines of the complete MacBook redo (from iBook and 12" PowerBook).

mathwhiz90601
Jul 18, 2007, 11:10 PM
Greener is relative. The amount of power being consumed by the display is marginal.

Again they better not or I will pick up a current gen iPod and buy something else for video. I spend 80% of my day in the car. When I'm at a stoplight I want to scroll to an album and select it one handed while keeping an eye on the light and one hand on the wheel.

What's wrong with setting the iPodWide down first? You can do that 1 handed.

BKKbill
Jul 18, 2007, 11:41 PM
ANgry much?

Nope. :p

AlexisV
Jul 19, 2007, 06:05 AM
It'd be good if they had alumnium, black and white so you could choose.

nordictalker
Jul 19, 2007, 06:57 AM
I just got an invitation for an in-house exhibition from my local mac dealer in Germany on Aug 17th. In the same conversation I asked him about his opinion about new Imacs (as I plan to buy several IMacs for my advertising agency as soon as possible). He told me that I really should wait and that there's a good reason why his in-house exhibition takes place on 17th of August. Then he smiled and said that he wouldn't plan such an exhibition event if there were no new attractions.

So, that was my (true) story I experienced today.

craig1410
Jul 19, 2007, 07:06 AM
I just got an invitation for an in-house exhibition from my local mac dealer in Germany on Aug 17th. In the same conversation I asked him about his opinion about new Imacs (as I plan to buy several IMacs for my advertising agency as soon as possible). He told me that I really should wait and that there's a good reason why his in-house exhibition takes place on 17th of August. Then he smiled and said that he wouldn't plan such an exhibition event if there were no new attractions.

I like the sound of that!!
:)

ABM
Jul 19, 2007, 07:18 AM

So... "Big tam tam" introduction on Aug 7th and available from Aug 17th?

BKKbill
Jul 19, 2007, 08:40 AM
17th of August sounds good I'll put it on my calender. :)

gregarious119
Jul 19, 2007, 09:43 AM

Being greener is not all about saving power. The LED displays get rid of mercury, which has been the biggest downside to CCFL backlights.

Steve jobs quoted that all new displays will be LED within a year, so why not add them into a major redesign. Especially if you can make your enclosure thinner and sleeker by incorporating them.

enkadrummer88
Jul 19, 2007, 09:55 AM

In my mind Apple is SURE to include the new iLife suite with Leopard, but that's just me.

sanford
Jul 19, 2007, 10:17 AM
In my mind Apple is SURE to include the new iLife suite with Leopard, but that's just me.

I think that's just you. The current iLife is included with new Macs, not with the operating system updates -- they may have done it once, but its been a long time. It's sold as a separate product.

mathwhiz90601
Jul 19, 2007, 10:24 AM

But Germany might get them after, say, the U.S., either because of different release dates or longer shipping times. Plus, are you sure he said seventeenth (siebzehnte?) and not seventh (siebente)? They sound similar in both English and German, whichever he spoke to you in.

mathwhiz90601
Jul 19, 2007, 10:26 AM
Being greener is not all about saving power. The LED displays get rid of mercury, which has been the biggest downside to CCFL backlights.

Steve jobs quoted that all new displays will be LED within a year, so why not add them into a major redesign. Especially if you can make your enclosure thinner and sleeker by incorporating them.

Ok, my expectations for LED iMacs are back online. I still hope that since they run cooler, they can put in some desktop components.

davidmyers
Jul 19, 2007, 10:51 AM
I do agree that if Apple replaces the click-wheel in the video iPods -- which I hope they don't -- they won't replace it with a virtual version on the screen. They'll use the multi-touch interface of the iPhone. Of course if they use the same processing power as in the iPhone, iPods are going to slow down a bit. The iPhone is pretty "snappy" but it's not as fast changing menus, screens, etc., as an iPod with all those high-resolution graphics to draw.

How do you think the recent announcement that Apple will probably
put lyrics on the ipod interacts with what they'll do to the scroll features?
I think if they do start selling songs with lyrics embedded (another reason
to buy $1.29 versions, I guess?) that it would be nicer to stick with
a scroll button, but some people might disagree. Softwarewise, I don't
which is easier- the iphone interface or the wheel, when it comes to
autoscrolling lyrics and then having the user interrupt that, etc.