PDA

View Full Version : RIAA continues suing consumers.

MrMacMan
Jul 23, 2003, 09:33 PM
TechTV's article has USERNAMES listed in the lawsuits (http://www.techtv.com/news/culture/story/0,24195,3484600,00.html)

Look even though I feel this is wrong why make is so public?

BTW there are like 10 thousand 'www.k_lite.tk_Kazaa_Lite@Kazaa' usernames... :rolleyes:

They are Harassing users by suing then instead they can alteast trying to show users the legal ways of buying music and by LOWERING THE PRICE OF CD's!

Comeone, its not brain surgery RIAA!

rainman::|:|
Jul 23, 2003, 09:55 PM
the RIAA is living in a past time, their industry and economic base have shifted totally and they cannot adjust to the times. It's just never going to be the way they want it, with consumers spending way too much to buy music, when they can get it for free... this is just another feeble attempt and scaring people... after the first one, when traffic supposedly temporarily dropped, no one is paying attention to these suits...

pnw

uhlawboi80
Jul 23, 2003, 09:59 PM
im getting SICK of this *****!!

i didnt ever DL a ton of music.....mostly dance remixes that you cant go out and buy anyway. NOW, i'm so annoyed with the RIAA i wont even pay to DL, i will just borrow and rip CDs from people! i hate not supporting some of my favorite artists by buying a CD, but thats just too bad. Im now resigned to not do anything that will put on cent in the RIAAs pocket. :mad:

MrMacMan
Jul 23, 2003, 11:02 PM
I don't get how lawsuits are going to help them at all and how them getting $$$ from consumers is going to help them anymore.

meh, they are the dumb.

Jul 23, 2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
I don't get how lawsuits are going to help them at all and how them getting $$$ from consumers is going to help them anymore.

meh, they are the dumb.

Exactly. If they were really worried about money, they would drop a couple hundred thousand dollars promoting one of the online music services, making it attractive for people, then cutting production drastically to reduce those costs. The number of people who could use online services rather than buying hard copies is worth it. But the RIAA clings to an old ideology and refuses to admit they're wrong because of stubbornness... so i don't feel sorry for 'em.

Hopefully this whole mess will encourage artists to realize what a scam the RIAA is, and take matters into their own hands...

pnw

jbomber
Jul 23, 2003, 11:42 PM
it's a terrible situation. you can't threaten people with multimillion dollar lawsuits and then expect them to come running back to your old-world view of the global music scene. it just can't work that way. you can only kick a dog so many times before it stop coming back to you.....

They should really come to grips with the fact that the technology ship has sailed and they need to play catch up.

Abstract
Jul 24, 2003, 01:18 AM
If I'm Canadian, and I'm using Kazaalite on my PC, can I be sued? I thought Kazaalite used a different network/pool of songs separate from the original Kazaa.

Its funny how a company like Sony is part of the RIAA, and yet they produce their own blank CD's and CD burners.

Entrapment......ENTRAPMENT!!!!

tazo
Jul 24, 2003, 03:31 AM
omg i cannot describe what i was going through as i scrolled that list, seaching for my kazaa name. btw i always used kazaa-lite, i dont like condom ads every 5 seconds....

and in case u didnt figure it out, i am not on the list--pheww :)

RandomDeadHead
Jul 24, 2003, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by jbomber
it just can't work that way. you can only kick a dog so many times before it stop coming back to you.....

Yes but, we are not talking about dogs, we are alking about people. People will let you kick them over and over again as long as you have something they want.

MrMacMan
Jul 24, 2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Abstract
If I'm Canadian, and I'm using Kazaalite on my PC, can I be sued? I thought Kazaalite used a different network/pool of songs separate from the original Kazaa.

Its funny how a company like Sony is part of the RIAA, and yet they produce their own blank CD's and CD burners.

Entrapment......ENTRAPMENT!!!!

Um ... no.

KaZaA and KaZaA-Lite both use the FastTrack Network = Same network.

The RIAA probably wouldn't sue you because they have yet to gain a favorable court to let them sue Canadians.

right now only the US of A is being screwed.

Tazo -- I'm glad your not on the list.

IMO each of the networks should block the last 3 numbers in your IP address to help your safety, I mean there aer only like what 512 different IP's there could be, but it would slow the RIAA don't alot, by forcing them to hunt for users.

MacFan25
Jul 24, 2003, 09:28 AM
Well, its not like these people downloading these songs are criminals, for the most part they are just harmless people.

I'm not sure these are going to hold up in court or not.

mac3dX
Jul 24, 2003, 10:54 AM
I think all CD buyers should stop buying CDs until the record companies stop suing.

obeygiant
Jul 24, 2003, 10:58 AM
should I be scared and never DL now?
Is limewire subjected to this?

Das
Jul 24, 2003, 11:42 AM
Finally, they put an end to Jessica and her evil deeds. A pox on Jessica@Kazaa, the most evil thief in the world! A POX!

iJon
Jul 24, 2003, 11:46 AM
i think what they should do is sue 1 teenager from every high school in america. that way everyone knows someone who got screwed over. i know it would scare me.

iJon

Laslo Panaflex
Jul 24, 2003, 12:02 PM
From what I read the RIAA is only targeting users that are sharing files, not users that are downloading. So if you use Kazaalite just disable downloading from your computer and you will not be sued. Of course, this could be what the RIAA is after, forcing everyone to stop sharing, hence no files to download.

So if you aren't sharing your files, you will not get sued.

Peas.

jadariv
Jul 24, 2003, 01:31 PM
Seriously. If your stupid enough to share 10,000 copyrighted songs from your home computer then you deserve to be sued.

The casual users of this service will not be touched by this.

Now whether or not there should be some kind of law that puts you in jail is ridiculous. If the RIAA or the record companies can prove you stole the music and distributed it to others illegally then i see no reason why they can't sue you.

I don't see too many people crying about the guy who distributed the "Hulk" movie. All the comments i hear are how stupid he was for copying and distributing it. The same laws that are in place for that movie are in place for an individual song. Just because it is easier to copy a song doesn't make it right. :p

zim
Jul 24, 2003, 02:46 PM
The way it looks to me is that the RIAA is out to shut down Kazaa without going after Kazaa. I bet they looked back at the Napster lawsuits and realized that hey we can get more money if we go after the people instead of the company that makes the application.

The next big thing will be that we find out that the top executives developed Kazaa in hopes that young kids and naive adults will share music making them millions.

Yes, Jesse may have ben foolish but at least she had support

"Thanks to the many donors, I have exceeded my goal by $5.67!

As of 11:25pm EDT on 6/22/03,
I have received
$12,005.67
(100.05%)
of your generous donations.
Words cannot express my gratitude. Thank You!

-- Jesse Jorda"

www.chewplastic.com

GeeYouEye
Jul 24, 2003, 04:31 PM
The RIAA will die soon. It's just a question of how and when. It will either go out with a bang, whereby a nation-wide boycott of CD's is staged, or with a fizzle, where it is eventually reduced to irrelevance by pay-per-download music services such as the iTMS.

Personally, I wanna see the bang, but I suspect the fizzle will likely happen instead.

The other thing I can't wait to see is the RIAA suing someone in error, and the subsequent countersuit for harassment drain them for all they're worth.

iJon
Jul 24, 2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Laslo Panaflex
From what I read the RIAA is only targeting users that are sharing files, not users that are downloading. So if you use Kazaalite just disable downloading from your computer and you will not be sued. Of course, this could be what the RIAA is after, forcing everyone to stop sharing, hence no files to download.

So if you aren't sharing your files, you will not get sued.

Peas.
do you have a story on than that. i would love to read about this guy who distributed the hulk.

iJon

jadariv
Jul 24, 2003, 05:14 PM
The Hulk story is over a month old. This link gives the overview.

http://www.web-user.co.uk/news/40.html

MrMacMan
Jul 24, 2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by iJon
do you have a story on than that. i would love to read about this guy who distributed the hulk.

iJon

They handed his ass on a platter.

When you distribute stuff you never give your identity, or proclaim you did it, moron.

Sun Baked
Jul 24, 2003, 05:20 PM
Parents, grandparents targets in Web-music subpoenas (http://www.azcentral.com/business/articles/0724downloading-music24-ON.html)

Associated Press
Jul. 24, 2003 02:36 PM

WASHINGTON - Move over, college kids. Grandparents and roommates may be the first ones to pay for downloading songs on the Internet.

The music industry's earliest subpoenas, issued as part of a high-stakes campaign to cripple online piracy by suing some of music's biggest fans, are aimed at a surprisingly eclectic group: a grandfather, an unsuspecting dad and an apartment roommate...

...The president of the Recording Industry Association of America, the trade group for the largest music labels, said lawyers will pursue downloaders regardless of personal circumstances because it would deter other Internet users.

"The idea really is not to be selective, to let people know that if they're offering a substantial number of files for others to copy, they are at risk," Cary Sherman said. "It doesn't matter who they are."...

[Delete to end]RIAA is really offering a bunch of nice quotes, even better quotes now that the people on the RIAA's list are coming forward.

Though I wonder how much money companies like BayTSP are going to get for tracking down a lot of these people for their clients.Related link = Advice for music downloaders (http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0724downloading-tips24-ON.html)

-If you are targeted, music lawyers may ignore you, send a stern warning or file a civil suit. The recording industry wants to deter downloaders and expects to file several hundred suits in the next eight weeks, but lawyers say they are willing to negotiate settlements.

-The music industry is targeting Internet users sharing "substantial" collections of songs; it has not said how many might qualify for a suit but the minimum number appears to be a few hundred songs. ...

[delete to end]

iJon
Jul 24, 2003, 05:27 PM
They handed his ass on a platter.

When you distribute stuff you never give your identity, or proclaim you did it, moron.
how do you know, they said he doesnt go to trial until september. are you assuming, because if you are im right up there with you, he will definently get his ass handed to him. and that ad agency guy will probably get fired as well.

iJon

tazo
Jul 24, 2003, 05:39 PM

Tazo -- I'm glad your not on the list.

[/B]

So am i man....so am i :(

jadariv
Jul 24, 2003, 05:49 PM
What i want to know now (especially since there was a scare for someone here) is that now that they are listing names and suing people, what is everybody going to do here:

1. Stop downloading and sharing songs.

2. Cut back on downloading (and no longer share from their hard drives).

3. Still download and upload (but with more protection like firewalls and ip blockers).

4. Just keep on going like usual and hope to hell that there are just enough people out there that they you won't get picked for a lawsuit.

Steradian
Jul 24, 2003, 07:20 PM
I am going to continue to Download what I like, and buy the albums of the bands that I really, like because they deserive to be supported :-P

MrMacMan
Jul 24, 2003, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by jadariv
What i want to know now (especially since there was a scare for someone here) is that now that they are listing names and suing people, what is everybody going to do here:

1. Stop downloading and sharing songs.

2. Cut back on downloading (and no longer share from their hard drives).

3. Still download and upload (but with more protection like firewalls and ip blockers).

4. Just keep on going like usual and hope to hell that there are just enough people out there that they you won't get picked for a lawsuit.
5. Many Filesharing more secure so the RIAA and MPAA can't easily see all of the files you have and that your IP cannot be easily traced.

If I go on to a P2P program right now, I can probably outright see the IP of the persons on the network and traceroute them, etc etc.

Comeone, I doubt people are gonna stop sharing files.

I choice 4.1 -- Keep plugging away and hope they sue me.

Originally posted by iJon
how do you know, they said he doesnt go to trial until september. are you assuming, because if you are im right up there with you, he will definently get his ass handed to him. and that ad agency guy will probably get fired as well.

iJon
This guy is going up against people who aren't suing like crazy, the MPAA.

They took a detour at the follow RIAA/not path.

They are the silent killers, still quite as deadly to file shares, but haven't gone out and sued tons and tons of people.

Originally posted by tazo
So am i man....so am i :(
Though, I myself wanted to be listed inthe suits because then I can challange there lame suits with a decent defence and proper defense tactics.

Sun Baked
Jul 24, 2003, 08:03 PM
You did read the article of BayTSP didn't you?

Firm sleuths out illegal file sharers (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/07/21/BU289815.DTL&type=business)

Since they're only collecting 1.2 TB of information per day and culling 1.5 to 2 million bad guys per day, the chance of them coming after you for copyright violations are what?

GeeYouEye
Jul 24, 2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Steradian
I am going to continue to Download what I like, and buy the albums of the bands that I really, like because they deserive to be supported :-P

Sounds good, but buy from iTMS and the like. Don't give a penny to the RIAA (or 900 pennies, the average the RIAA gets per CD, IIRC) .

MrMacMan
Jul 24, 2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Sounds good, but buy from iTMS and the like. Don't give a penny to the RIAA (or 900 pennies, the average the RIAA gets per CD, IIRC) .

You know that the record companies get most of the money from iTMS anyway?

Hence the RIAA...

bennetsaysargh
Jul 24, 2003, 09:29 PM
the RIAA is being stupid. they can't just sue people for using P2P networks. even my dad knows how to use a P2P network, and he's a cop.
the point is, if they were to be more reasonable, we would stop.

also, i got a question. since i use poisoned to connect to FastTrack network, am i safe? i don;t have thousands, but i'm just curious.

MrMacMan
Jul 24, 2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
the RIAA is being stupid. they can't just sue people for using P2P networks. even my dad knows how to use a P2P network, and he's a cop.

also, i got a question. since i use poisoned to connect to FastTrack network, am i safe? i don;t have thousands, but i'm just curious.

So far, I have only seen users running OpenFT downloading from me, so probably not, but if fasttrack users start downloading off of you then you might be able for the RIAA to get ya, but I doubt RIAA is looking at OpenFT.

bennetsaysargh
Jul 24, 2003, 09:47 PM
well that's good to know
lol

but if they were, how would i be tried? what is the magnitude of the suits?

Jul 24, 2003, 10:40 PM

They certainly can sue people sharing music, it's well-established. But p2p networks are quite legal, it's why they cannot actually shut down kazaa and the like. They have surreptitious methods of finding out who is sharing and downloading music, they target you, sue you, and have the law backing them up...

Judges don't have a lot of choice in the matter either, they have to follow the law as well. But expect to see a lot of $1 judgements...

pnw

MrMacMan
Jul 24, 2003, 10:49 PM
well that's good to know
lol

but if they were, how would i be tried? what is the magnitude of the suits?

Um, look the chances are as follows:
Somehow god gives a FastTrack user the ability to download off you:
1:1,000,000 (yeah i meant alot higher, oh well.
The Off Chance that It was the RIAA that god gave the powers to:
1:1,000,000,000 (probably a hella higher)

Yeah since the change of someone downloading from you that is on KaZaA is like 0% I would say 0%.

QCassidy352
Jul 24, 2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by uhlawboi80
im getting SICK of this *****!!

i didnt ever DL a ton of music.....mostly dance remixes that you cant go out and buy anyway. NOW, i'm so annoyed with the RIAA i wont even pay to DL, i will just borrow and rip CDs from people! i hate not supporting some of my favorite artists by buying a CD, but thats just too bad. Im now resigned to not do anything that will put on cent in the RIAAs pocket. :mad:

entirely agree. I have always bought cds that I really wanted, but I refuse to spend another dollar if even one penny of it will go to the RIAA. I have always just downloaded songs that I felt like hearing, never whole albums that I would really buy... but now the hell with that. Too bad for the musicians, but the RIAA has gone too far.

Besides, this is stupid. Suing college students? For what, old pizza boxes and college debt?

iJon
Jul 25, 2003, 09:20 AM
from what ive read, nobody knows for sure but it seems a person sharing about a couple hundred songs or more is up for the lawsuit.

iJon