PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro Display Component Shortages Strangling Supply?

MacRumors
Jul 18, 2007, 07:51 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

According to AppleInsider, a supply shortage of the LED-backlit displays (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/07/18/apple_struggling_to_meet_demand_for_new_led_lit_notebooks.html) powering Apple's latest MacBook Pros are the cause of continuing shipping delays. In addition, the site reports that third party retailers have seen virtually non-existent stock of the units.

Some high-volume Apple dealers tell AppleInsider that thousand of units have remained on backorder since early June, while others claim they've yet to receive a single shipment of the new notebooks. In speaking to these dealers, Apple representatives have reportedly identified the new 15-inch LED backlit display panels as the root of the problem.

Apple has not specified whether quality-assurance related yield issues are to blame, or rather it is simply a case of production not being fully ramped up for a relatively new technology.

Currently, Apple's U.S. Online Store (http://store.apple.com/) cites a 7-10 day ship time for 15" base configurations.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/18/macbook-pro-display-component-shortages-strangling-supply/)

Macmaniac
Jul 18, 2007, 08:00 PM
My sister was able to pick one up at a store no problem. I would check with Apple Stores first if you want one.

tinydragon123
Jul 18, 2007, 08:01 PM
i am hoping my two weeks shipping don't become six weeks.

PDE
Jul 18, 2007, 08:04 PM
For those who need one right now, Amazon.com has them in stock with free shipping and no tax.. I gave up waiting for the apple store to receive them (three weeks now with no stock of the 2.2ghz version) and just ordered from Amazon.

MindBrain
Jul 18, 2007, 08:06 PM
OHH Boo Hoo spoiled brats have to wait 7 - 10 days for their shipment. Bunch of cry babys.

AlBDamned
Jul 18, 2007, 08:09 PM
The repair/quality issue has to be a factor somewhere here. If an abnormal number of people are sending back two, three or four machines (which judging by the number of threads on the issue there are a lot of cases) then it's going to play havoc with the availability, not to mention the screens may have an inherent problem which has to be fixed (like the XBOX 360's billion dollar problem).

PDE
Jul 18, 2007, 08:18 PM
The repair/quality issue has to be a factor somewhere here. If an abnormal number of people are sending back two, three or four machines (which judging by the number of threads on the issue there are a lot of cases) then it's going to play havoc with the availability, not to mention the screens may have an inherent problem which has to be fixed (like the XBOX 360's billion dollar problem).

very true. I've had three already....fourth coming on Friday! Yippeeee, Apple quality is a joke.

DsurioN
Jul 18, 2007, 08:22 PM
I doubt this has much to do with apple but rather the quality and quantity of components shipped from their suppliers. There must be some design flaw in this relatively new LCD screen technology that they haven't corrected yet.

AidenShaw
Jul 18, 2007, 08:28 PM
My sister was able to pick one up at a store no problem. I would check with Apple Stores first if you want one.

Nice to see that Apple fully supports their channel partners.

</sarcasm>

I doubt this has much to do with apple but rather the quality and quantity of components shipped from their suppliers.

No - since Apple chose the suppliers it is Apple's problem.

If your new Apple arrived with a bad disk - would you be happy if all Apple did was to give you Fujitsu's toll-free service number? If you have a bad backlight, would you be happy if Apple gave you Samsung's service desk number? If the memory is bad, would Micron's email address be enough?

If Apple didn't do the QA work on the components - it's Apple's fault.

Rocketman
Jul 18, 2007, 08:30 PM
To me, the major takeaway of this story is that Steve Jobs is still at the bleeding edge of several technologies within the construct of Apple.

Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it "gets you". For the most part, overall, it is a case of "barely" UPOD by Steevie and a short list of apologies.

He may be close to the vest and also on the edge of the presapice, but he is winning and rarely gets screwed.

Rocketman

I wonder how long these screen suppliers will be "preferential" :)

uNext
Jul 18, 2007, 08:32 PM
I knew it
New led displays=new problems.
People where dying for the amazing new led panels to come out
and now those amazing led panels are here and people are still havin led issues.
Apple quality dropped while their market share gained. Sad that when a company share/market increases their product quality decreases.

AlBDamned
Jul 18, 2007, 08:34 PM
I doubt this has much to do with apple but rather the quality and quantity of components shipped from their suppliers. There must be some design flaw in this relatively new LCD screen technology that they haven't corrected yet.

To clarify, it doesn't have anything to do with Apple's manufacturing because Apple doesn't actually manufacture any hardware. What it does have to with Apple is Apple's component quality testing and the decision to include such new technology in this model, effectively making the SR MPB with LED screen a Rev A product.

Looking at it that way and Apple's recent history of Rev A products, the current problems are to be expected, if not entirely acceptable.

MrSmith
Jul 18, 2007, 08:56 PM
Looking at it that way and Apple's recent history of Rev A products, the current problems are to be expected, if not entirely acceptable.
Therein lies the problem: Having problems has become acceptable. This kind of situation would not be accepted with any other product, so why computers? Since when is it acceptable for testing to be carried out by consumers?

AlBDamned
Jul 18, 2007, 08:57 PM
Not OLED, LED. Big difference.

Corrected above. Am at this moment reading an OECD technology report and got my acronyms mixed up :eek:

Therein lies the problem: Having problems has become acceptable. This kind of situation would not be accepted with any other product, so why computers? Since when is it acceptable for testing to be carried out by consumers?

Most, if not all, brand new products have a failure rate of some kind. It's not acceptable so much as it is a way of life. The problem I think you're getting at is that this increasing failure rate is now getting unacceptable/stupid?

Number41
Jul 18, 2007, 09:02 PM
"relatively new technology."

you wish. OLED is new. LED is old.

MrSmith
Jul 18, 2007, 09:04 PM
Most, if not all, brand new products have a failure rate of some kind. It's not acceptable so much as it is a way of life. The problem I think you're getting at is that this increasing failure rate is now getting unacceptable/stupid?
Exactly. It's less "I was obviously born unlucky" and more a regular forum thread.

AlBDamned
Jul 18, 2007, 09:07 PM
"relatively new technology."

you wish. OLED is new. LED is old.

Maybe, but 15.4" LED notebook screens are fairly new, wouldn't you say?

rockosmodurnlif
Jul 18, 2007, 09:34 PM

Because virtually everyone knows its true. The hardware/software market is full of examples. Software/hardware is released that maybe feature complete and ready to go but first adopters are seen like test pilots.

I know I'm not installing Leopard until an update comes out, I'm sure there are a fair amount of people who feel the same way. When the first MacBook Pros came out, there were people waiting until the next revision to buy theirs. GMail, Firefox, all came out as betas, much like Safari did, which implies that there were still bugs to be worked out.

The iPhone just came out and I have read posts on people waiting for version to 2 to come out.

I think its just the way this industry is.

mrjk
Jul 18, 2007, 09:52 PM
Maybe, but 15.4" LED notebook screens are fairly new, wouldn't you say?

Apple sells no notebook with an LED screen, NONE. They have notebooks with new LED backlights for the same old LCD type screens they have been using all along. You may have meant this, but LED screens to me and a lot of others imply LED pixels, and that ain't the case here. Using an LED backlight is newer, but not that revolutionary or anything.

AlBDamned
Jul 18, 2007, 10:03 PM
Apple sells no notebook with an LED screen, NONE. They have notebooks with new LED backlights for the same old LCD type screens they have been using all along. You may have meant this, but LED screens to me and a lot of others imply LED pixels, and that ain't the case here. Using an LED backlight is newer, but not that revolutionary or anything.

Fair enough, but I think in this context and thread about MacBook Pros - with "LED-backlit displays" fully detailed in the opening post – it's pretty clear what we're talking about... :rolleyes:

Rocketman
Jul 18, 2007, 10:14 PM

"Consumer funded development" is a 'feature' of bleeding edge technologies. I know. Look at my name. Get over it, or buy from Dell/HP/Lenovo.

BTW Dell has larger market share due to consumer risk adverse behavior.

Rocketman

twoodcc
Jul 18, 2007, 10:47 PM
well this is bad news. hopefully apple or whoever can get it worked out soon

orl2222
Jul 18, 2007, 11:09 PM
A week is not along time to wait. i ordered a T61 Thinkpad from Lenovo ( I refuse to run windows vista on my Macbook pro) Lenevo took three months to deliver me my T61 with xp pre-installed.So, a week delay is not bad at all.

Gymnut
Jul 18, 2007, 11:21 PM
Whew, makes me somewhat glad I ordered my MBP right after WWDC.

mathwhiz90601
Jul 18, 2007, 11:25 PM
I think I'm fairly safe to say that this would indicate a sharply increased likeliness that the new revision iMacs will NOT have LED technology in their screens.

zeppelin68
Jul 18, 2007, 11:28 PM
weird, mine shipped yesterday from macmall.

ipearx
Jul 18, 2007, 11:31 PM
The New Zealand store has a 1-2 week wait on the 15". The 17" is only a few days. I just ordered a custom build 17" and it took almost 2 weeks to ship. Ordered on the 6th of July. Initial estimated deliver of 17/07/2007 - 19/07/2007. It's now going to arrive "before or on the 24th July".

Not too far off I guess.

http://bla.st/apple/

nagromme
Jul 19, 2007, 12:33 AM
So... we're pretty certain this shortage is the result of a "defect" or "problem" rather than simply high demand?

Maybe Apple got tons of LED displays and it still wasn't enough.

I think I'm fairly safe to say that this would indicate a sharply increased likeliness that the new revision iMacs will NOT have LED technology in their screens.

That was pretty unlikely already: large-size LED units are either not available or outrageously expensive. For now.

techmonkey
Jul 19, 2007, 12:44 AM
So... we're pretty certain this shortage is the result of a "defect" or "problem" rather than simply high demand?

Maybe Apple got tons of LED displays and it still wasn't enough.

I think the demand is high, and the supply is low. I have a new MBP and love it. Reading the issues threads, it makes me wonder if some people are seeing things, or led to believe they have a problem when they really do not.

valiar
Jul 19, 2007, 12:46 AM
Makes me feel lucky.
I have ordered mine on June 16, and received it on 28th. Long shipping time in my case was due to 7200 RPM drive.
Interestingly, my original ship date was August 2 (!!!). I was really happy when I received an email from Apple on the 26th.
And the LED screen is fantastic. Worth the wait for certain...

valiar
Jul 19, 2007, 12:49 AM
A week is not along time to wait. i ordered a T61 Thinkpad from Lenovo ( I refuse to run windows vista on my Macbook pro) Lenevo took three months to deliver me my T61 with xp pre-installed.So, a week delay is not bad at all.

I had a 4 month wait with Lenovo last year (just when they have released the X60). Then they shipped me two X60s instead of one - and both with defective docking stations. Then I returned both, and they have charged me for both - after they have received them in their warehouse.
Parallels for me... I am not dealing with Lenovo clowns again.:cool:

zwiggles1
Jul 19, 2007, 12:52 AM
Man I have good & bad luck...

Bought a Rev A Macbook Pro after they were announced. When I finally got it, it had a dent corner. It took a full 5 weeks to get me a replacement b/c of shortages.

With that replacement I have had the thing in the shop 3 time b/c of fan rubbing, no backlit keyboard, then a screen malfunction. Then the straw that broke the camels back, the keyboard and touch pad cut out.

Almost 3 weeks ago, instead of fixing the computer, they decided to replace it. Ok, so now I'm stoked.
Not only am I getting a replacement, but it's the 2.4Ghz version (I bitched that the base model had only a 128Mb graphics card & mine was a 256Mb).

So now I see this thread. I've been waiting almost three weeks for the thing to ship, and I may be getting another Rev A computer with a whole new set of problems... I know that I should be happy to be getting a new comp, but I should have had it done right the first time, especially when dropping $2600.

emotion
Jul 19, 2007, 01:05 AM
Apple: release a 13" mbp to relieve the pressure on the bigger machines.

BKKbill
Jul 19, 2007, 01:05 AM

I think you hit the nail on the head with this comment. Oh well.

netdoc66
Jul 19, 2007, 01:07 AM
contract awarded to the lowest bidder...:)

ajhill
Jul 19, 2007, 01:47 AM
I was at an Apple store yesterday and they were selling MacBook Pros like they were going out of style. They sold five while I was there. Shortages? Not at that store. Just happy, and lucky? MacBook Pro owners.

Incidentally the new screen looks great, and the extended battery life is an added benefit. Oh yeah, not to mention saving the planet from more mercury in the landfills.

CalBoy
Jul 19, 2007, 02:06 AM
Hmmm...certainly explains why so many people have had trouble finding mbps. The Bay Area seems to have plenty (I guess being close to Infinite Loop has its advantages;))

A little dissapointing, but not all of it was in Apple's control. We can't blame Apple for a supply shortage caused by a third party (although we can complain about it and show our disapproval).

Raven56
Jul 19, 2007, 02:22 AM
I ordered a new baseline 15" macbook pro on the 13th of June and am still waiting for it to arrive.
Apple is completely incompetent, 6 WEEKS is fare too long to wait for a laptop.
At least now i have some idea that I'm not the only one going through this pain.

:mad:SCREW THE ENVIRONMENT, I WANT MY LAPTOP! :D

DaveTheGrey
Jul 19, 2007, 02:23 AM
I ordered a MBP (2,2 GHz with 160 GB @ 5400rpm) on June 8th at the biggest apple dealer in germany (cancom) and I still don't got it yet.

Cancom confirmed that they will reciever theire first shipment of 8 (how lousy) MBPs from apple today (7.19) and that I'm on the 8th position on the waiting list.
So if I'm lucky I get it tomorrow...
Cancom also told me that apple stoped shipping because of flaws they found in the mbp, didn't told me if it was for the heat or the display or anything else though.

The waiting continues :o

dave

Fourno
Jul 19, 2007, 02:28 AM
i ordered a SR MBP 2.2 Ghz on July 7th
on July 11th I received an e-mail stating they have received my money.
Now i'm waiting...
Expected delivery: July 26th - August 1st

so does this mean I will have to wait longer then August 1st???
Or is the wait for the led backlights included in the current expected delivery date?

makes me feel stupid for ordering it online, i had better just gone to an apple reseller somewhere around here...

My first :apple: Mac, hope I don't regret it....

AnthonyP
Jul 19, 2007, 02:38 AM
I was at an Apple store yesterday and they were selling MacBook Pros like they were going out of style. They sold five while I was there. Shortages? Not at that store. Just happy, and lucky? MacBook Pro owners.

Incidentally the new screen looks great, and the extended battery life is an added benefit. Oh yeah, not to mention saving the planet from more mercury in the landfills.

Too bad there isn't an in-store pick up option for those of us who ordered online! I'll be in Sacramento and the Bay Area next week, but placed the order for the MBP last week, not knowing about the delay. I had wanted to have it delivered before a trip to LA on the 25th, but that doesn't look likely. I just had to use the education discount (college student) and take them up on the free Nano offer... otherwise, I could've just waited and gone to a store/ordered through Amazon. It really is just too bad. But not really. But yeah, kind of.

CalBoy
Jul 19, 2007, 02:42 AM
I ordered a new baseline 15" macbook pro on the 13th of June and am still waiting for it to arrive.
At least now i have some idea that I'm not the only one going through this pain.

6 weeks is way too long for a laptop to arrive. You should complain to Apple and get something for lost time. Apple hasn't delivered the product in a timely fashion, which means that they owe you something in compensation.

Raven56
Jul 19, 2007, 03:12 AM
6 weeks is way too long for a laptop to arrive. You should complain to Apple and get something for lost time. Apple hasn't delivered the product in a timely fashion, which means that they owe you something in compensation.

True i would do this had i paid online, unfortunately I think I have little grounds as i placed the order at a Mac1 store thus i haven't purchased the laptop yet.

The Article said very little about what was actually wrong with the LED Screens. Anyone heard any reports?

emotion
Jul 19, 2007, 03:17 AM
I understand people's impatience to get their hands on the new machines but I'd personally rather wait and get a screen that works well than get a flawed product that I'd probably return anyway.

Apple need to start being stricter with their suppliers. The whole Rev A macbook thing has tarnished their reputation enough. They don't need any more of this.

rockosmodurnlif
Jul 19, 2007, 03:24 AM
I think the demand is high, and the supply is low. I have a new MBP and love it. Reading the issues threads, it makes me wonder if some people are seeing things, or led to believe they have a problem when they really do not.

Absolutely, I agree 100% because some people just want to have problems with their new computers. Even when they are flawless Macs. Its digital-age Munchausen syndrome.

Iceduck
Jul 19, 2007, 04:32 AM
The Article said very little about what was actually wrong with the LED Screens. Anyone heard any reports?

There seem to have been two problems. One was yellow tints at the 1/3 bottom of the screen and the other was flickering at less than 100% brightness. The first seems to have been solved on new units and the latter has been fixed through a firmware upgrade.

I wouldn't worry about it.

pandayoghurt
Jul 19, 2007, 04:34 AM
Quote from the Macintouch website: "I am an Apple Dealer (have been for over 20 years) and have a heck of a time trying to get the MacBook Pros.

I just received 2 today (Of the 20 I have on order) and discovered that they were "double sealed" by Apple - meaning they were opened and resealed at the factory.

Apple is definitely having issues with them!"

http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/macbookpro/index.html#18jul2007

I've had two defective units and NO techmonkey we are not seeing things. I've returned mine for a refund and waiting till apple resolves this issue as these new screens aren't up to scratch for pro users.

phonic pol
Jul 19, 2007, 04:57 AM
I've had my top spec 2.4 15" for a couple of weeks now. Pleased to say the screen is perfect, not a dead pixel in sight. It's also better than my 23" alu display when first turned on. The alu display has to warm up for a while before it's at it's most vibrant. I use the macbook pro with second display most of the time and hadn't noticed the change in vibrancy/brightness on my 23" until comparing it to the new 15" LED display.

The 2.4 MBP is also quite a bit faster than my G5 dual 2GHz with 2.5GB ram and 256mb graphics! Overall The new MBP's are very, very impressive!!:)

PDE
Jul 19, 2007, 05:04 AM
I understand people's impatience to get their hands on the new machines but I'd personally rather wait and get a screen that works well than get a flawed product that I'd probably return anyway.

Apple need to start being stricter with their suppliers. The whole Rev A macbook thing has tarnished their reputation enough. They don't need any more of this.

I just hope that this is the case, that Apple is somehow fixing things and that all macbook pros purchased today are good. Doubt it though.

phonic pol
Jul 19, 2007, 05:07 AM
I just hope that this is the case, that Apple is somehow fixing things and that all macbook pros purchased today are good. Doubt it though.

What exactly are the screen faults that are being talked about here? Are these just wild rumors or are there high numbers of bad screens out there that have been delivered to customers?

PDE
Jul 19, 2007, 05:07 AM
Absolutely, I agree 100% because some people just want to have problems with their new computers. Even when they are flawless Macs. Its digital-age Munchausen syndrome.

That's BS. Nobody here wants to have trouble with their new computers, but Apple has slipped with their quality control. The fact that people keep replacing despite Apple's abuse of consumers through their non-paying beta program is more like Stockholm syndrome than anything else - people love Apple despite everything.

Rob0
Jul 19, 2007, 05:21 AM
For those wondering about the wait times, I ordered a stock 2.2 MBP yesterday from the Apple UK HE store and have been told that it'll arrive between the 7th and 13th of August.

(The actual ship date was given as between the 27th of July and 1st of August)

cluthz
Jul 19, 2007, 05:30 AM

I ordered mine the 27th of june and had it last week, that was a baseline 2.2 Ghz with matte screen.

AlexisV
Jul 19, 2007, 05:53 AM
The fact that people keep replacing despite Apple's abuse of consumers through their non-paying beta program is more like Stockholm syndrome than anything else - people love Apple despite everything.

LOL! :D

motulist
Jul 19, 2007, 06:44 AM
Reminds me of the bad old days when shortages of G4 CPU supplies from motorola kept the supply of new Macs constrained and even greatly delayed the release of higher mhz Macs because moto couldn't tell their ass from their elbow. Although the G# family of chips really are much better than the X86 family of chips, I'm really glad Apple stopped using them. Because when you're stuck with only one (or occasionally two) suppliers of a necessary component, and the primary supplier can't ship a product for it's life, then your product line is seriously *********. Man, those days were frustrating.

k2k koos
Jul 19, 2007, 06:48 AM
i wonder if the upcoming iMac revision will utilize LED panels too, and then suffer the same fate....

:apple:

Fourno
Jul 19, 2007, 07:43 AM
damn why does this have to happen when i order my MacBook Pro :mad::p

dernhelm
Jul 19, 2007, 08:31 AM
damn why does this have to happen when i order my MacBook Pro :mad::p

Look at this way, it is better not to get it yet, then to get defective product and need to return it.

I'd rather wait, if it meant that the product I received the first time wasn't defective.

Of course, you could be waiting and receive defective product anyway... :D

morespce54
Jul 19, 2007, 08:36 AM
If your new Apple arrived with a bad disk - would you be happy if all Apple did was to give you Fujitsu's toll-free service number? If you have a bad backlight, would you be happy if Apple gave you Samsung's service desk number? If the memory is bad, would Micron's email address be enough?

If Apple didn't do the QA work on the components - it's Apple's fault.

Agree! It's might not be a problem about Apple technician but if it's a problem about Apple' suppliers, it's still Apple's fault.

And about a previous post on cry babies, when you pay that much for a computer, you expect to get a good machine and to get it rather sooner than later... ;)

morespce54
Jul 19, 2007, 08:47 AM

sorry but I disagree. if nobody buy a rev. a, then why would Apple do a rev. b? Tell me that they would throw away these machines a build new one from the ground up... :rolleyes:

Plus, as stated before, since when it is acceptable to pay $1500-2000 for a computer with "acceptable flaws" (like a problem with the screen)? As far as I'm concerned, no matter which revision a buy, I assumed the computer will work flawlessly. Might not be the best model of all time but still... :confused:

We are (kind of) aware of the revision a syndrome, but what about Mr. John Doe? Is it the kind of question he will think to ask the salesman "Sir, are you sure this is not a revision a model? How many people sent it back to Apple for repair?" ;)

Chef Medeski
Jul 19, 2007, 08:59 AM
When I went to the Apple Store they were all out of Matte and had only one Glossy left with the English keyboard (I'm in Quebec so they actually sell French and English versions).

I came in the next week and they had a huge shipment of like 50 of each with english keyboard. If the supply was so strangled why were they sendng good US computers with english keyboards out to Quebec where most people buy with a french keyboard anyways?

I guess it might be true, but I think there are plenty of ways to get MBP fast, so its not a major, major issue.

dcv
Jul 19, 2007, 09:01 AM
Have they run out of yellow bulbs? :rolleyes: :D

PDE
Jul 19, 2007, 09:10 AM
Of course, you could be waiting and receive defective product anyway... :D

THAT is the problem. Waiting is absolutely no guarantee that the laptop will not be defective. Look at Apple's last revision of the MBP - they were still using displays manufactured in early 2006 on notebooks sold in spring 2007. This despite the massive complaints about grain, viewing angles and illumination distribution. With some things Apple seems to care while with others it just ignores the problems.

If Apple wants to be taken seriously, I think it needs to become more response and much more transparent. If there is a problem, Apple should acknowledge, investigate and address the issues for those who have the problem quickly. As it is, it may or may not address the issues, but it almost never acknowledges them first or ever. Customers should not have to worry if their machine's defects will be fixed by Apple. Acknowledging issues quickly would go a long way in calming customers who have just made a significant investment in a defective machine.

Zadillo
Jul 19, 2007, 09:12 AM

Good thing you didn't order a Dell XPSM1330 - people's orders for those have been delayed for a couple of months, to the end of August at least.

Or a Lenovo T61 or T61p, which has seen order delays into the 3 month range.

Apple's hardly the only company that has issues like this.

techmonkey
Jul 19, 2007, 09:27 AM
Good thing you didn't order a Dell XPSM1330 - people's orders for those have been delayed for a couple of months, to the end of August at least.

Or a Lenovo T61 or T61p, which has seen order delays into the 3 month range.

Apple's hardly the only company that has issues like this.

Those are the most popular notebooks for Lenovo and Dell, correct? Do they also use the new LED backlite?

Zadillo
Jul 19, 2007, 09:32 AM
Those are the most popular notebooks for Lenovo and Dell, correct? Do they also use the new LED backlite?

The T series is the most popular ThinkPad I believe, yes. It does not use LED-backlit screens. Check the lenovo forums though on notebookreview.com, for example. A TON of frustrated customers, some of whom have been waiting 2-3 months for their machines to ship, and some who are still being told to wait til the end of August.

The XPS M1330 for Dell has an LED-backlit screen option (13.3"). It probably isn't the most popular.... that honor would go to the more mainstream and affordable Inspirons, I would guess.

But there's pretty much the same issue. People who ordered weeks ago are being told not to expect it to ship til the end of August.

My point mainly is that Apple is not the only company that might have trouble shipping systems. It sucks to have to wait 6 weeks for a laptop, but that's the nature of a popular machine. There are Lenovo and Dell owners upset about having to wait 2 months for their machines too.

rockosmodurnlif
Jul 19, 2007, 09:52 AM
That's BS. Nobody here wants to have trouble with their new computers, but Apple has slipped with their quality control. The fact that people keep replacing despite Apple's abuse of consumers through their non-paying beta program is more like Stockholm syndrome than anything else - people love Apple despite everything.

I need a font for sarcastic.

PDE
Jul 19, 2007, 09:58 AM
I need a font for sarcastic.

yeah, sarcasm is easily missed online, especially when there are people who'd defend apple at any cost. I should have checked where you're from before I responded....

iQuit
Jul 19, 2007, 10:09 AM
I have been a long time Mac user and have never experienced a noticeable quality issue. I own a Rev. A. MBP 15" and have had absolutely no problems since the day of purchase. I purchased the first iPod, as well as the U2 iPod, several iPod minis, and a iPod Video... again with no problems. I own an iPhone Rev. A and have no major problems besides a few Safari crashes here and there. (Software Update) I persuaded my dad to buy a Mac Mini, my brother a MB, my girlfriend, my best friend, and his girlfriend. All the machines have been absolutely flawless down to the pixels. So I really would like to see what the quality really is for the us Apple users as a WHOLE, because most people I know with Apple products have never had any adverse or minimal defects.

eroomdoc
Jul 19, 2007, 10:12 AM
Have they run out of yellow bulbs? :rolleyes: :D

haha..

MarshallM
Jul 19, 2007, 10:35 AM
For those wondering about the wait times, I ordered a stock 2.2 MBP yesterday from the Apple UK HE store and have been told that it'll arrive between the 7th and 13th of August.

(The actual ship date was given as between the 27th of July and 1st of August)
Shame, I ordered a glossy one with 160GB HDD yesterday and have to wait to the 7th-12th!!

johnee
Jul 19, 2007, 10:49 AM
Reminds me of the bad old days when shortages of G4 CPU supplies from motorola kept the supply of new Macs constrained and even greatly delayed the release of higher mhz Macs because moto couldn't tell their ass from their elbow. Although the G# family of chips really are much better than the X86 family of chips, I'm really glad Apple stopped using them. Because when you're stuck with only one (or occasionally two) suppliers of a necessary component, and the primary supplier can't ship a product for it's life, then your product line is seriously *********. Man, those days were frustrating.

WHAT? apple is TOTALLY dependent on intel now and they HAVE NO ALTERNATIVES!

What logic are you using?

motulist
Jul 19, 2007, 10:56 AM

I'm using the logic that intel actually delivers, in quantity, on time, every time. Moto NEVER did. And Apple is NOT AT ALL "totally dependent on Intel." Worst come to worst Apple could switch over to AMD (within certain business parameters). That's what happens when there are real competitors for your business, your supplier always delivers everything you need when you need it, becuase they know that you could just buy your parts from another vendor. And with the size of the x86 market demand, if Intel ever really dropped the ball and AMD couldn't pick up the slack, then a new manufacturer would gladly step up to deliver x86 chips.

weckart
Jul 19, 2007, 11:04 AM
i wonder if the upcoming iMac revision will utilize LED panels too, and then suffer the same fate....

:apple:

No chance. The only LED panels available (and not even that if this thread is anything to go by) are 15.4". I asked whether the 17" MBP is likely to be available with LED backlighting anytime soon and got a No rather than an I Don't Know as an answer.

EagerDragon
Jul 19, 2007, 11:55 AM
i am hoping my two weeks shipping don't become six weeks.

Hehe if it takes to October to get it, at least you get Leopard for free.

mangis
Jul 19, 2007, 12:18 PM
I just hate typing on by backlite LED Macbook Pro.

How stupid I was to buy one two weeks ago, and I even had to wait 7 days for delivery.

Are you kidding? These screens are the best that have been put in a Mac laptop. They are cutting edge, and brighter than anything we ahve ever seen as portable Mac users. I love mine so much that I almost cry with joy whenever I open it.

Of course, if there were an ultra portable Mac on the market I'd be happier.

Object-X
Jul 19, 2007, 12:32 PM
I just walked in an Apple Store this morning and bought a 2.4GHz MacBook Pro. They had all models in stock.

gnasher729
Jul 19, 2007, 12:34 PM

Depends. In the UK, 17 inch is available immediately, 15 inch is 1-2 weeks. Maybe you saw lots of lucky owners of 17inch MacBook Pros?

gnasher729
Jul 19, 2007, 12:37 PM

Apple is of course _not_ dependent on Intel. There is this other company, I believe they are called AMD or something like that, just in case that Intel messes up.

Except that (1) Intel doesn't mess up, Intel delivers; (2) Apple is at the top of the list at Intel when it comes to deliveries and all kinds of favours; and (3) should Intel mess up, then all the PC manufacturers are in the same boat.

Quicksilver867
Jul 19, 2007, 01:12 PM
I believe this is true, because I only managed to purchase mine after calling my store several times a day this whole week. Even when I called a store that's about 80 miles away, still no luck. However, as I mentioned, my store finally had them in stock yesterday at about noon.

motulist
Jul 19, 2007, 01:21 PM
...I only managed to purchase [my Macbook Pro] after calling my store several times a day this whole week.

So you're a macrumors forum newbie and your model-based username is already out of date! :D That's what you call a good problem to have!

MarshallM
Jul 19, 2007, 01:30 PM
I'm wondering why the basics of free market economies are so hard to understand :P

Quicksilver867
Jul 19, 2007, 01:36 PM
So you're a macrumors forum newbie and your model-based username is already out of date! :D That's what you call a good problem to have!

Bah, oh well. And anyway, I think Quicksilver867 sounds cooler than something derived from 'Macbook Pro.' :D

mustang_dvs
Jul 19, 2007, 02:30 PM

Still, it's better than a name like "IIvx32" or "Centris650ist" (both made-up) or naming yourself after a french manufacturer of brake fluid and engine lubricants.

DrMoray
Jul 19, 2007, 03:50 PM
This is too bad. I was really looking forward to a 17" with the new panels. My 17" MBP is just bright enough at the highest setting in certain bright lighting.

Stu-Duncan
Jul 19, 2007, 05:07 PM
I bought a 2.2 MBP from a 3rd party reseller (John Lewis) in the UK. They had 3 in stock, all 2.2 and matte screen, which was lucky as that's what I wanted.

It's the best screen I've ever seen on a Mac laptop. It's not just the brightness, it's the edge to edge consistency which I've never seen in Powerbooks or iBooks. Knocks the spots off my previous MBP Core (1) Duo. And the battery lasts around 1.5 hours longer.

And the bad news? I can't fry an egg on the bottom, which I could on the old one.

techmonkey
Jul 19, 2007, 05:28 PM
. And the battery lasts around 1.5 hours longer.

How much time do you get on your old one versus new one? Ive been getting around 3-3.5 hours. Depending on what I am doing. iStat Pro shows my temps being between 50 - 60 C on average.

pcmike
Jul 19, 2007, 11:04 PM
Here's to my now about a month old 15" mbp 2.4ghz SR still operating "perfectly." No issues to report here... kind of wish I could see a sample of a "defective" one in person.

Oh well... I'm loving my new Apple.

mathwhiz90601
Jul 20, 2007, 01:10 AM

Hmm, well, I might take that back. iMacs may still see them soon; LED technology has too many advantages:

1) No mercury
2) Less power usage
3) Less heat generation
4) Better color gamut (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamut and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD)

Maybe Apple's constraining its own supply with demand for its unreleased iMacs and ACDs.

mathwhiz90601
Jul 20, 2007, 01:24 AM
I persuaded my dad to buy a Mac Mini, my brother a MB, my girlfriend, my best friend, and his girlfriend.

Your brother bought a MB, your girlfriend, your best friend, and his girlfriend. Your brother is buying quite a lot there.

DHagan4755
Jul 20, 2007, 07:30 AM
Just got the delay email from Apple. My order was just bumped to a ship date of August 17th! Ordered on July 5th!

Stu-Duncan
Jul 20, 2007, 12:59 PM
I was getting just under 3 hours on the battery in my old Core Duo (1) 15" MBP. I reckon I'm getting at least 4.5 hours on the LED MBP CD2. Maybe even more.

The reduction in heat is the other great factor. It's cooler than either my old MBP or my old 12" G4 PB 1Mhz.

I am really chuffed with it.

inkhead
Jul 20, 2007, 10:04 PM
Actually the real reason fro the delay times is because of hardware bug in the nvidia graphics card and the way it interacts with the MacBook motherboard. every single 2.2ghz & 2.4ghz santa rosa MacBook Pro has a serious hardware issue that causes all displays requiring dual-link DVI to show "twinkling stars, small flashing green pixels, and flashing lines".

The problem only starts after the machine is connected to this type of display for at least 20 minutes, and continues to become gradually worse. Un-plugging the DVI cable for a few minutes can cause the MacBook Pro graphic card to reset and lessing the problem.

This was the reason for the reason EFI 1.3 Update. Apple is trying to mask the hardware problem but so far the EFI update only succeeds in slightly lessing the problem.

Be aware that if you are buying a new MacBook Pro today you will be buying a machine with a HARDWARE defect. Apple is going to great lengths to cover the issue up. There is a huge thread on there site (16,000+) about it, and 3 others that have now been deleted.

I can reproduce the bug on any dual-link DVI (Dell, Apple 30") with ANY of the new MacBook Pros.

I spoke directly with an Apple engineer and friend of mine, and he said that it's a serious hardware bug, that might not be able to be fixed in the thousands, and thousands of models that have already shipped but they are trying to quietly sell all the ones they have and DO have new ones on the way to manufacturing. I'd really appreciate it if MacRumors would cover this story, as it needs major attention.

techmonkey
Jul 20, 2007, 10:19 PM
Actually the real reason fro the delay times is because of hardware bug in the nvidia graphics card and the way it interacts with the MacBook motherboard. every single 2.2ghz & 2.4ghz santa rosa MacBook Pro has a serious hardware issue that causes all displays requiring dual-link DVI to show "twinkling stars, small flashing green pixels, and flashing lines".

First time I heard about this, but what do you mean by dual-link DVI ? The MBP only has (1) DVI output.

mathwhiz90601
Jul 21, 2007, 01:02 AM
First time I heard about this, but what do you mean by dual-link DVI ? The MBP only has (1) DVI output.

Well, the monitor on the MBP doesn't need an input/output; it's handled with an internal bus, I'm sure.

Serious bug. Can you put a link to that 16000 post thread on Apple site?

CalBoy
Jul 21, 2007, 02:28 AM

The problem only starts after the machine is connected to this type of display for at least 20 minutes, and continues to become gradually worse. Un-plugging the DVI cable for a few minutes can cause the MacBook Pro graphic card to reset and lessing the problem.

This was the reason for the reason EFI 1.3 Update. Apple is trying to mask the hardware problem but so far the EFI update only succeeds in slightly lessing the problem.

Be aware that if you are buying a new MacBook Pro today you will be buying a machine with a HARDWARE defect. Apple is going to great lengths to cover the issue up. There is a huge thread on there site (16,000+) about it, and 3 others that have now been deleted.

I can reproduce the bug on any dual-link DVI (Dell, Apple 30") with ANY of the new MacBook Pros.

I spoke directly with an Apple engineer and friend of mine, and he said that it's a serious hardware bug, that might not be able to be fixed in the thousands, and thousands of models that have already shipped but they are trying to quietly sell all the ones they have and DO have new ones on the way to manufacturing. I'd really appreciate it if MacRumors would cover this story, as it needs major attention.

Can you corroborate any of this? If it is true, then I'll be marching myself to an Apple store and demanding something better than a firmware update.

Zadillo
Jul 21, 2007, 08:50 AM

Just to ask, shouldn't this same issue then affect other laptops with the NVida 8600M GT (Asus G1S, Dell Inspiron 1520, etc.)? Or is it just the combination of this card with the MBP's specific motherboard?

Alloye
Jul 21, 2007, 12:32 PM

Hmmm... Can you link to any of these threads? I frequent several Mac-related forums including Apple's support discussions and haven't seen even a blip about this problem. I would think if a thread on Apple's site had grown to 16,000+ messages, word would have propagated by now.

gsjr57
Jul 21, 2007, 10:43 PM
:eek:Therein lies the problem: Having problems has become acceptable. This kind of situation would not be accepted with any other product, so why computers? Since when is it acceptable for testing to be carried out by consumers?

Are you sure we're not talking about Microsft here. They seem to set the standard for consumer beta testing. :eek:

gsjr57
Jul 21, 2007, 10:53 PM
I just walked in an Apple Store this morning and bought a 2.4GHz MacBook Pro. They had all models in stock.

My question is ? I m sure you like your new box but why buy now ? Why not wait until they work out some problems and buy one with the new operating system in October ???
Just a thought which i may do myself... Give me some feed back.:)

Raven56
Jul 22, 2007, 12:41 AM

I urgently second the request for a link to this "(16,000+) thread on the apple site".

or any others who can confirm this hardware issue (with or without the EFI 1.3 Update).

i.e after waiting so long for apple to ship this laptop, I don't want to empty my bank account for a laptop that will have to go back to the supplier for 3 more months.

I can't wait much longer laptopless

techmonkey
Jul 22, 2007, 12:48 AM
I urgently second the request for a link to this "(16,000+) thread on the apple site".

No response from that poster after multiple questions from different people. I call BS. I checked out Apples Forum, didn't see any 16,000+ view/post threads.

MarshallM
Jul 22, 2007, 05:58 AM
So anyone going to phone up and ask about the long order times? To many people who use these laptops, time is money. Also, I was only told after I had provided my payment details on the phone about the delay.

*looks at UK consumer laws*

edit: * The seller must give you clear prior information about the goods or services, including:
* 1. A clear description of the goods or services
* 2. The supplier's contact details
* 3. Details of cost and payment, including taxes
* 4. Delivery arrangements, or date for service to be carried out
* 5. Cancellation rights

Unless it is a personalised good, but I would hardly call an Apple laptop personalised.

ngdesign
Jul 23, 2007, 07:54 AM
:rolleyes: only took 4 working days :D

drugs!
Jul 23, 2007, 09:32 AM
please employee discount

noobist
Jul 23, 2007, 11:35 AM
i ordered a CTO 15' macbook pro with the 7200rpm hard-drive option on the 27th of June from NextByte, an Australian Apple Reseller. almost 1 month now and i have still not received my laptop :confused:

after a few phone calls the people working at the store said that apple told them of a shortage of the 7200rpm harddrives and that all stock has run out (of the 160gb 7200rpm hard-drives), adding a 2week wait to the order, he also said that there is currently a backorder of 1,500 15' macbook pros that have not been received in Australia. he said apple estimated a 2week wait for shipment to Aus (although thier website says 7-10 days). unfortunately they still can't give me an ETA as the order is still listed as "in process" :mad:

NextByte have apparently not yet recieved ANY 15' macbook pro's even this far after its release...

seems like apple arn't focusing on resellers. sigh... :(

Raven56
Jul 24, 2007, 06:51 AM

My Mac Finally came on the 23rd July, Haven't had any problems so fare with it.
I guess Good things come for those who wait

Cole Slaw
Jul 24, 2007, 10:28 AM
I wonder if Apple will be offering the Hitachi 200 gig 7200 rpm drive, or the Western Digital 250 gig 5400 rpm drive, anytime soon.

emotion
Jul 24, 2007, 10:58 AM
I wonder if Apple will be offering the Hitachi 200 gig 7200 rpm drive, or the Western Digital 250 gig 5400 rpm drive, anytime soon.

For us macbook owners we don't need to worry what apple does on that front. Aside from the massive expense of Apple options, and the length of time BTO configs take to build and arrive, the HD is user replaceable. The MBP should be the same by rights but isn't.

Cole Slaw
Jul 24, 2007, 11:08 AM
For us macbook owners we don't need to worry what apple does on that front. Aside from the massive expense of Apple options, and the length of time BTO configs take to build and arrive, the HD is user replaceable. The MBP should be the same by rights but isn't.

Yes, that's right. That's one really great thing with the Macbook. I was a little surprised Apple didn't redesign the MBP to allow user replaceable hard drives with this SR revision.

emotion
Jul 24, 2007, 11:10 AM
Yes, that's right. That's one really great thing with the Macbook. I was a little surprised Apple didn't redesign the MBP to allow user replaceable hard drives with this SR revision.

Yeah, it was one of the features that I wanted to see too.

MBP15C2D4GBLED
Jul 25, 2007, 10:23 PM
... and the LED display is insurmountable. I only notice a yellow tint if I look off angle. Direct on viewing the display is perfect. I expect no more from a modern TFT.

On wakeup or boot while cold, display is ready to go, immediately... no VFL stabilization time.

I couldn't ask for a better display. I'm sure LED-backlit displays will improve, but the one on this unit isn't dissappointing me.

avn
Jul 31, 2007, 06:05 PM
I ordered my MBP on July 16th and have just had my "ship by" date pushed from July 30th to August 14th. I called apple who told me that it will ship by my ship date. I don't think he was happy with me when I told him that I didn't believe him since my last ship date changed...

I am considering canceling my order and waiting until 10.5 comes out before buying.

ktegtm
Aug 1, 2007, 01:53 PM
I ordered my MBP on July 16th and have just had my "ship by" date pushed from July 30th to August 14th. I called apple who told me that it will ship by my ship date. I don't think he was happy with me when I told him that I didn't believe him since my last ship date changed...

I'm in similar boat, but ordered through academic department channels in late June, and now hear that expected ship-date is August 15. Until I read this thread, all I had heard was 'glass shortage.'

I guess I am most curious as to why Apple still advertises a 7-10 day shipping period if you build one on the web-site.

Frustrating since I needed my new laptop, so my old G4 could be used for video by one of the 4 students working for me this summer. At this rate, they will be back in school by the time I get it.

avn
Aug 2, 2007, 10:21 PM
I'm in similar boat, but ordered through academic department channels in late June, and now hear that expected ship-date is August 15. Until I read this thread, all I had heard was 'glass shortage.'

I guess I am most curious as to why Apple still advertises a 7-10 day shipping period if you build one on the web-site.

Frustrating since I needed my new laptop, so my old G4 could be used for video by one of the 4 students working for me this summer. At this rate, they will be back in school by the time I get it.

Actually, mine too was ordered through an academic reseller. I ordered mine at a time that I thought I would have enough time to figure out the OS before school starts, but it looks like I will not have that chance.

I had mentioned to the apple rep. my irritation with the 7-10 day shipping estimation on the website, even though it is clearly taking much longer. He didn't seem to be bothered by that.

I am making the switch to apple after a long history with linux and windows, and am really reconsidering my decision after my experience with Apple.

avn
Aug 9, 2007, 06:13 AM
Actually, mine too was ordered through an academic reseller. I ordered mine at a time that I thought I would have enough time to figure out the OS before school starts, but it looks like I will not have that chance.

I had mentioned to the apple rep. my irritation with the 7-10 day shipping estimation on the website, even though it is clearly taking much longer. He didn't seem to be bothered by that.

I am making the switch to apple after a long history with linux and windows, and am really reconsidering my decision after my experience with Apple.

Finally received mine. I just did the $9.95 upgrade for ilife8.

knifegun
Aug 9, 2007, 07:23 AM
Finally received mine. I just did the $9.95 upgrade for ilife8.

How did you get such a cheap upgrade?

iW00t
Aug 9, 2007, 07:48 AM

or any others who can confirm this hardware issue (with or without the EFI 1.3 Update).

i.e after waiting so long for apple to ship this laptop, I don't want to empty my bank account for a laptop that will have to go back to the supplier for 3 more months.

I can't wait much longer laptopless

Now I am worried about it too.

Since I don't have a 30" ACD how do I convince Apple to replace my machine? I want a new machine for free!

avn
Aug 9, 2007, 04:57 PM
How did you get such a cheap upgrade?

I was told by my reseller that since I didn't receive my mac until August 7th (the date of the new announcement) that I could get the cheap upgrade from the mac site:
http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/

me_flay
Sep 10, 2007, 09:33 AM
Well I hope there's more in then simply the iLife update... Have been waiting almost 2 months now for my standard 2.2 MBP LED. It really kinda sucks as my PB is slowly getting more and more buggy by the hour.

Wondering, wasn't there a time when buyers of new Macs got a free update to the next operating system if it was released only little time later? Is that still a valid offer?? Would ease the pain at least a little bit...