PDA

View Full Version : What to choose for project?

davidlt
Jul 19, 2007, 01:56 PM
I am thinking to develop a few programs for Mac to see how everything is on this side. The problem I have that I can't find any good documentation how to make something visible.

First of all, I would like to find out which language should be the main for the work. As I can see there are just a few possible options:
- C++ + Cocoa
- JAVA + Cocoa
- Ruby/Python + Tk (8.4 supports native Aqua)
- Mono + Cocoa#

I was not able to find first two options documentations or any other more informative examples. Ruby + Tk already tested and it works, but everything is completely 100% open for people. Just open with any kind text editor and you can edit code.

While the last one looks the best. Mono, C# and .NET on the Mac. Plus, it is very well documented, very easy to program, but I think it's not the common way how the programs are written in Mac.

And JAVA as always requires a lot more from your computer.

I would like to know which one would you choose or you are using and of course why? Or maybe you are using Object-C, which doesn't sound nice for me. And where could I get some more examples, full documentation about programming in those environments using Cocoa?

Any other suggestions where should I look?

EDIT: The best documentation for JAVA should be here: http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Java/index.html (as I assume)

EDIT2:
"Using Python and the PyObjC bridge gives you the best of all worlds—Python and Cocoa."
"Welcome to the homepage of the RubyCocoa project, a bridge between the Ruby and the Objective-C languages, allowing you to manipulate Objective-C objects from Ruby, and vice-versa. It lets you write full-stack Cocoa applications in Ruby. It is also possible to write a Cocoa application that mixes Ruby and Objective-C code."
I think it answers some of the questions, that I should not use any other libraries. (expect this framework for ruby)

EDIT3: It looks like Object-C controls the life in Mac. Right now I have some more information about the programming in JAVA, Python, Ruby.

EDIT4: Found out about Objective-C 2.0, which looks a lot better from older version. It uses dot-notation that makes it understand more easily.

EDIT5: Python and Ruby programs should be easily editable by any users. These languages are scripting languages. And this is one of their minus.

iSee
Jul 19, 2007, 04:50 PM
Cocoa is the way to go on the Mac. There is actually really good documentation on it.

Here is a good place to start: http://developer.apple.com/referencelibrary/GettingStarted/GS_Cocoa/index.html

EDIT: a few more comments...

Java + Cocoa is not ideal. Stick with Objective-C.
Forget Mono, too. I have a feeling that you are familiar with C# so you are tending toward C#-ish options.
Objective-C is actually a simpler language than C#. If you learned C# you will not have a problem with Objective-C. Also, don't worry about dot notation in objective-C. After you've used bracket notation for a day or two, it will seem as clear as dot notation. In fact, it is simpler and more explicit than C# syntax.