PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft New Operating System in 3 years

aaronptrck
Jul 21, 2007, 12:46 AM
Google News reports thar Microsoft is releasing a new OS in 2010... right now it is called Microsoft 7

-Now first of all it is quite obvious, with the failure of Vista, Microsoft wants to move on...

-2010 we can expect it will be delayed.

-What features will Microsoft rip-off of Mac OS X this time!

Microsoft can now be coined as "the most imitative company of the 21st century"

Airforce
Jul 21, 2007, 12:56 AM
Google News reports

Google news supplies links to articles. Google news never reports :p

siurpeeman
Jul 21, 2007, 01:00 AM
is anyone really calling vista a failure? give it time, people will have no choice but to upgrade to vista.

Scarlet Fever
Jul 21, 2007, 01:06 AM
i just found a leaked screenshot!

Introducing, MS 7
http://www.appletidbits.com/screenshots/100desktop.jpg

now with 'Liquid' interface, a revolutionary new file system, and a wealth of new applications to set productivity rocketing!

yg17
Jul 21, 2007, 01:08 AM
is anyone really calling vista a failure? give it time, people will have no choice but to upgrade to vista.

Vista is going to be the next Windows ME. It has all of the signs....rather slow adoption rate, a bunch of bloat, and if this 3 year thing is correct, relatively short time period until the next release. I think there was right around a year between ME and XP's release. ME didn't stick around for long, Vista won't either.

Dagless
Jul 21, 2007, 04:36 AM
I'm neutral towards Windows, but I can see how much a failure Vista is and can imagine their new system out sooner rather than later (unlike XP). I just hope they learn from their faults. Forcing gamers to upgrade to Vista, even when certain games aren't DirectX 10 (Halo 2) is just pathetic and I'm sure it's grounds for another anti-trust lawsuit.

Is this Vienna? I'm sure I heard about that a while ago. That it'll be a huge leap, revolutionary rather than evolutionary.

killerrobot
Jul 21, 2007, 06:14 AM
I wouldn't call vista a failure -- I'm sure it will sell more copies than Leopard (yeah I know that's a cheap shot, maybe I should say forced upon instead of sell) -- but like everyone else has said, not too popular at the moment.

I personally don't think Windows can copy anything else from Apple -- they've copied everything they can already. This next version might actually be "revolutionary" as raggedjimmi says.

Gymnut
Jul 21, 2007, 06:33 AM
I'm sure it'll incorporate a feature called "Time Capsule". This revolutionary backup application will allow you to go back in time and retrieve deleted items. The entire process will be animated, a spade will dig up the soil for you to retrieve the time capsule, allowing you to rifle through its contents. :rolleyes:

kwajo.com
Jul 21, 2007, 06:53 AM
I'm sure it'll incorporate a feature called "Time Capsule". This revolutionary backup application will allow you to go back in time and retrieve deleted items. The entire process will be animated, a spade will dig up the soil for you to retrieve the time capsule, allowing you to rifle through its contents. :rolleyes:

Why have a spade do the work when they've already got a perfectly capable dog?
http://www.smashsworld.com/uploaded_images/searchdog-714947.JPG

killerrobot
Jul 21, 2007, 06:54 AM

They've had that since XP. It's just that no one knows about it or how to use it.

Gymnut
Jul 21, 2007, 06:59 AM
They've had that since XP. It's just that no one knows about it or how to use it.

Wow, I never knew that. Goes to show my knowledge of XP. As for that pooch, he doesn't look like he could find his way out of a paper bag much less locate a time capsule. :D

Dagless
Jul 21, 2007, 07:06 AM
I don't think it's as easy as that. I haven't dealt much with XP's auto backups, but I'm sure it doesn't work like Time Machine. You can take your computer back to a certain date (documents included, IIRC) but you can't just fly through picking out files as you please. Select a date, press okay, let it do all it's jiggery pokery, restart and you're back on.

miniConvert
Jul 21, 2007, 07:18 AM
MS just need to keep the OS's rolling out. Vista took far too long, and I'd imagine they took a lot of heat from the OEM's because of it.

No, Vista isn't doing as well as MS had hoped, but as has been said already it's now the default install on the majority of new computers being sold and gradually that will have an impact.

killerrobot
Jul 21, 2007, 07:21 AM
I don't think it's as easy as that. I haven't dealt much with XP's auto backups, but I'm sure it doesn't work like Time Machine. You can take your computer back to a certain date (documents included, IIRC) but you can't just fly through picking out files as you please. Select a date, press okay, let it do all it's jiggery pokery, restart and you're back on.

"Time Machine" will definitely be easier to use, and the "jiggery pokery" :) will be a godsend for many -- but the basic idea has been around forever, and roughly played with in XP--like I said, no one knows about it or how to use it because it is a pain in the a to use. There are so many 3rd party file recovery programs out there, that if it's that important to you you'd already have something like it installed. I haven't used Vista at all, but I thought they were suppose to have incorporated something easier to use?:confused:

Abstract
Jul 21, 2007, 08:10 AM
The next upgrade to Windows will be Window Vista 2: The Version With the Features We Envisioned and Promised Our Customers, But Couldn't Deliver On Time, and So We Released Vista With Half the Features We Wanted To Include With It, and Some Of The Features We Did Include Don't Work Very Well, But We're Hoping To Fix That!" Professional Edition.

And besides, 3 years isn't a short wait for a new OS. They took more time than they normally did when going from XP to Vista. They usually update on a 2-3 year cycle, while Apple is doing it more often. I hope they release something good. :)

andrewheard
Jul 21, 2007, 08:20 AM

I was under the impression that it only kept a backup of system files.

dmw007
Jul 21, 2007, 09:37 AM
Ya, I will believe it when they release it.......

............in 2012. :cool: :D

Introducing, MS 7

It's beautiful! :apple:

PlaceofDis
Jul 21, 2007, 09:48 AM
yeah... okay...
i'll believe it when i see it.

aaronptrck
Jul 21, 2007, 09:53 AM
Vista (to me) is both a failure and a MAJOR disappointment! After waiting all X amount of years for a operating system that is both hard to use, and to upgrade it, you need a lot of guts in your computer. I would consider it a failure because of the fact that nobody wants it, they are all forced upon upgrading it (when buying new computers...) so at that point you have 3 options

1. the "Switch" to MAC
2. Tough Vista Out.
3. Buy the copy of XP and downgrade it.

as raggedjimmi pointed out, there are certain games Vista can't handle, which to the high-end-gamer is a big let down.

bigandy
Jul 21, 2007, 09:59 AM
quite amusingly it's scheduled release was 2009 earlier this year.

and it's all about microsoft keeping tabs on what you're doing:

"That means that right now when you move from one PC to another, you've got to install apps on each one, do upgrades on each one. Moving information between them is very painful. We can use Live Services to know what you're interested in. So even if you drop by a [public] kiosk or somebody else's PC, we can bring down your home page, your files, your fonts, your favorites and those things. So that's kind of the user-centric thing that Live Services can enable. [Also,] in Vista, things got a lot better with [digital] ink and speech, but by the next release there will be a much bigger bet. Students won't need textbooks; they can just use these tablet devices. Parallel computing is pretty important for the next release. We'll make it so that a lot of the high-level graphics will be just built into the operating system. So we've got a pretty good outline."

it's also meant to be the first consumer version of windows to ship only x64, do away with the start menu/task bar approach, and talk with your dirty underwear.

however, these features are likely to be dropped from the initial ship and included in SP2, due to promising more than they can deliver.

irmongoose
Jul 21, 2007, 11:26 AM
It's amazing how out of synch Bill Gates is with how the world is reacting to new technology. Everything he's saying sounds like an envisioned future of the early 90's! I guess there's a good reason why he isn't CEO of Microsoft anymore... and why it's good time for him to be spending more of his time doing other things. The above quote makes it quite apparent he isn't a visionary (and probably never was).

irmongoose

PlaceofDis
Jul 21, 2007, 11:29 AM
It's amazing how out of synch Bill Gates is with how the world is reacting to new technology. Everything he's saying sounds like an envisioned future of the early 90's! I guess there's a good reason why he isn't CEO of Microsoft anymore... and why it's good time for him to be spending more of his time doing other things. The above quote makes it quite apparent he isn't a visionary (and probably never was).

irmongoose

hes always been a very good businessman, which is why Windows is where it is now.

Peace
Jul 21, 2007, 11:35 AM
Microsoft didn't sign agreements with most of the official Linux flavors for no reason.

sushi
Jul 21, 2007, 11:36 AM
hes always been a very good businessman, which is why Windows is where it is now.
Yes he is.

Also, his vision of having every personal computer in the world running his OS has pretty much been true.

SJ's vision was to have the best operating system in the world.

Both have succeeded in their visions.

As for Vista, I am non-plussed by it. Our office just purchased a new Sony laptop with Vista installed. It's so slow. I am currently in the process of putting XP on it. So much faster.

irmongoose
Jul 21, 2007, 11:41 AM
Also, his vision of having every personal computer in the world running his OS has pretty much been true.

That's not a vision. It's a business forecast. ;)

irmongoose

Father Jack
Jul 21, 2007, 11:58 AM
Vista is SLOW and CRAP ... this is what a friend of mine say's and he's 100% Microsoft and swears he would never use a Mac .. :mad:

I asked him "If it's that slow and that bad doesn't it make sense to change to something fast and beautiful .... like a Mac?" ..... He didn't reply.

dmw007
Jul 21, 2007, 12:04 PM
I asked him "If it's that slow and that bad doesn't it make sense to change to something fast and beautiful .... like a Mac?" ..... He didn't reply.

Oh how precious that moment must have been Father Jack! :D :cool: :apple:

Rodimus Prime
Jul 21, 2007, 12:31 PM
Vista is SLOW and CRAP ... this is what a friend of mine say's and he's 100% Microsoft and swears he would never use a Mac .. :mad:

well for vista being slow compared to XP lets remember that XP was made in 2001. I bet Tiger would be slow on a comptuer compared to one now running OS9 simplely because 0s9 is a much smaller OS and does not tax the system as much as OSX.

XP is old. Vista biggest problem is the age between XP and vista really mess up a lot of people. It used to be if you got a computer with a previous version of windows on it then it work get with the next one (might not work so well if you try to go to the one following that) vista is replacing an OS that should of had a new version in 2004. it does tax 2004 system heavily but 2004 system general exceeded the recommended specs at least.

From what I was reading Vista is a stepping stone OS. It became the brigde between XP and the replacement to it. kind of like ME (load of crap OS) was the stepping stone bridging windows 98 and XP.

I think this one if it follows the way XP was then the one following vista would be a pretty nice. XP was a lot nicer than windows 98se. So the following to vista could easily be as nice of a jump.

Now the question will be will M$ be able to pull it off in 3 years.

Dagless
Jul 21, 2007, 12:46 PM
I was under the impression that it only kept a backup of system files.

Like I said, I'm not entirely sure on the details. But after a system restore once I lost some of my documents and .exe's.

I don't trust it because of that. Haven't used it since!

Time Machine seems to be the only program that lets you actively retrieve backup documents and the likes. Which is what I'm really after in a backup suite.

gnasher729
Jul 21, 2007, 02:01 PM

They have a choice. Can I remind you which board you have been posting on? So if someone is using Windows XP or an older Windows version, and doesn't want to switch to Vista (I hesitate to call it an "upgrade"), what possible alternatives could you recommend?

gnasher729
Jul 21, 2007, 02:05 PM
well for vista being slow compared to XP lets remember that XP was made in 2001. I bet Tiger would be slow on a comptuer compared to one now running OS9 simplely because 0s9 is a much smaller OS and does not tax the system as much as OSX.

You can't compare Tiger and MacOS 9. Compare Tiger with Panther: It runs faster. Compare Panther with 10.2: It runs faster. Compare 10.2 with 10.1: It runs faster. Compare 10.1 with 10.0 (scary): It runs faster. Every MacOS X version has been faster than the previous one.

And if MacOS 9 had been ported to Intel processors, it would have been much slower because MacOS X makes much more use of dual or quad processors.

Sherman Homan
Jul 21, 2007, 02:14 PM
Maybe Windows 2010 will have small applications that serve a specific purpose, like a weather report, or a language translator, or a Yellow Pages look up, or calendar. The possibilities are endless. Microsoft could call them Desk Accessories.

Killyp
Jul 21, 2007, 02:14 PM

XP is old. Vista biggest problem is the age.... blah blah blah blah
....vista could easily be as nice of a jump.

Now the question will be will M$ be able to pull it off in 3 years.

Windows XP was released the same date as Mac OS 10.0, which is MILES slower than Tiger. 10.0 < 10.1 < 10.2 < 10.3 < 10.4 < 10.5

My 350 MHz G3 iMac is faster than ever running on Tiger.

theperson
Jul 21, 2007, 03:02 PM
Sorry, I've got a business meeting in 3 years.

dmw007
Jul 21, 2007, 05:14 PM

How about 3 years & one day? :p ;) :D

Sherman Homan
Jul 21, 2007, 05:55 PM

Your scheduled meeting for July 21, 2010 has been delayed.

Cancel or Allow?

zap2
Jul 21, 2007, 07:03 PM
Doubt it

aaronptrck
Jul 21, 2007, 10:07 PM
Well (I don't believe this) in the news report Microsoft vowed never to have a delay like Vista again (BS!)

hopejr
Jul 21, 2007, 11:43 PM
Microsoft 7? Don't they mean Microsoft Windows 7, seeing Vista is version 6?

tutubibi
Jul 22, 2007, 12:36 AM
Well, say what you want, but Vista is better than XP from the technology/stability/usability point of view. Of course, things like activation, HW requirements and some other artificial restrictions are ridiculous but still, I like it more than XP.

BTW, IMO Vista is, technology-wise, somewhere between Panther and Tiger. So 2010 release will probably be something like Leopard ;)

IJ Reilly
Jul 22, 2007, 01:05 AM
Microsoft has to plan to release a new OS in 2010, otherwise how would they ever get it shipped before 2012?

gadgetgirl85
Jul 22, 2007, 01:15 AM
To be honest, I can't find fault with Vista. I quite like it. Looking forward to updating my MBP in a few years and running the OS after Leopard and MS on one computer :D

Mord
Jul 22, 2007, 02:40 AM
Microsoft 7? Don't they mean Microsoft Windows 7, seeing Vista is version 6?

Everyone knows windows is crap thus they're planning to remove the bad connotations?

devman
Jul 22, 2007, 02:49 AM
That's 3 microsoft years though - right? Aren't they like dog years? :p

Awesome! love it. How do they think of these things!

MacinDoc
Jul 22, 2007, 03:13 AM
That's 3 microsoft years though - right? Aren't they like dog years? :p
Yes, and from what I've heard, Vista is a bit of a dog.

Abstract
Jul 22, 2007, 04:27 AM
That's not a vision. It's a business forecast. ;)

irmongoose

Is "Cha-ching" considered a business forecast?

Father Jack
Jul 22, 2007, 06:48 AM
Oh how precious that moment must have been Father Jack! :D :cool: :apple:
Absolutely priceless, my friend .. :)

FJ

walangij
Jul 22, 2007, 07:44 AM
Is "Cha-ching" considered a business forecast?

Aren't Apple and M$ both businesses with visions? They are both in the business to make money, just by different routes. Apple has made theirs by innovating the OS and creating a great niche product type along with crazy marketing, Microsoft has done it by massively saturating the market. If the roles had switched and Microsoft was behind from the beginning, I'm sure we'd all be singing a different tune.

Either way I think that a new OS for Microsoft sooner rather than later is a good thing. When there's competition, it's always good for the consumer. I think Vista is fine, works ok for me on my Windows box, no problems, faster than XP but then again the comp. I'm using is powerful in comparison to others.

Hopefully Microsoft and Apple will start to diverge in their OS offerings and the look b/c frankly I'm sick of both sides saying M$ copied Apple! and Apple copied M$! . Their offerings are just where the market is going and what consumers are wanting, blatantly copying I doubt it.

Eraserhead
Jul 22, 2007, 08:23 AM
I think Vista is fine, works ok for me on my Windows box, no problems, faster than XP but then again the comp. I'm using is powerful in comparison to others.

So are you actually saying that Vista is faster than XP on the same machine? That's not my experience, though Vista isn't considerably slower.

I agree that OS X and Windows are fairly similar in design though but making it different is certainly disadvantageous to Apple as it makes switching more difficult.

If MS get a new OS in 3 years I doubt it'll be a big improvement over Vista.

Thomas Veil
Jul 22, 2007, 08:44 AM
...frankly I'm sick of both sides saying M$ copied Apple! and Apple copied M$! . Their offerings are just where the market is going and what consumers are wanting, blatantly copying I doubt it.Apparently David Pogue shares your opinion. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaIUkwPybtM) ;)

They have a choice. Can I remind you which board you have been posting on? So if someone is using Windows XP or an older Windows version, and doesn't want to switch to Vista (I hesitate to call it an "upgrade"), what possible alternatives could you recommend?Hmm, let me think.

Uh...

Damn...it's on the tip of my tongue.....

walangij
Jul 22, 2007, 08:59 AM
So are you actually saying that Vista is faster than XP on the same machine? That's not my experience, though Vista isn't considerably slower.

I agree that OS X and Windows are fairly similar in design though but making it different is certainly disadvantageous to Apple as it makes switching more difficult.

If MS get a new OS in 3 years I doubt it'll be a big improvement over Vista.

On the same machine, Vista feels quicker, I don't know if I could scientifically conclude that it is, if I tested it rigorously XP would probably be quicker, but then again XP doesn't have Aero and other extras which are nice to the User experience haha.

The thought that both OS's are similar to allow more consumer adaptation is great, never though of it that way, but it does make sense that they will continue to be pretty close.

It also looks like MS's new OS isn't going to be what they are concentrating on so it sadly will be just ok and not "Wow". With all their new technological et ceteras like seadragon and the big ole' coffee table it's easy to see the Microsoft 7 being just like Vista, but something companies and colleges/ect will adopt quicker aka Vista the way it should've been done.

and ole davey pogue, sad I can't watch youtube in Thailand :( but I get it haha

ghall
Jul 22, 2007, 12:29 PM

Introducing, MS 7

now with 'Liquid' interface, a revolutionary new file system, and a wealth of new applications to set productivity rocketing!

Huh. It looks somewhat familiar. Now where have I seen that before?

matthew24
Jul 23, 2007, 04:10 AM

In appearance there may be be some similarities, but if you would look under the hood, these are two totally different OS's. Registry, DLL hell, Filesystems, mulitasking, seperation of system and user environment, embedded functionality (core services), language support, 32/64 support, App packages, Unix, module based vs integration based, window functionality etc.

From technical viewpoint OSX is far more advanced.

tomoisyourgod
Jul 23, 2007, 06:03 AM
New OS in 3 years? That means 5 or 6...

infact, I'm gonna run a book on this... place your bets

not that I really care though, I don't use Windoze or any Microsoft products for that matter because I don't need to.

terrible company

dmw007
Jul 23, 2007, 06:15 AM
In appearance there may be be some similarities, but if you would look under the hood, these are two totally different OS's. Registry, DLL hell, Filesystems, mulitasking, seperation of system and user environment, embedded functionality (core services), language support, 32/64 support, App packages, Unix, module based vs integration based, window functionality etc.

From technical viewpoint OSX is far more advanced.

Absolutely. Microsoft may try to make their OS look nice (aka copy stuff from Apple), but deep down inside Windows is still just Windows. :rolleyes: :cool: :apple:

dsnort
Jul 23, 2007, 07:16 AM
Google News reports thar Microsoft is releasing a new OS in 2010... right now it is called Microsoft 7

-Now first of all it is quite obvious, with the failure of Vista, Microsoft wants to move on...

-2010 we can expect it will be delayed.

-What features will Microsoft rip-off of Mac OS X this time!

Microsoft can now be coined as "the most imitative company of the 21st century"

And it has 27 varieties to fit every need:

1. Basic
2. Basic Plus ( Adds Caculator )
3. Basic Plus Plus ( Upgraded Calculator )
27. Ultimate Extremeo Superior Wonderous Edition ( Only $3299.00, but comes with a free pencil and notepad )

aaronptrck
Jul 24, 2007, 01:22 PM
And it has 27 varieties to fit every need:

1. Basic
2. Basic Plus ( Adds Caculator )
3. Basic Plus Plus ( Upgraded Calculator )
27. Ultimate Extremeo Superior Wonderous Edition ( Only $3299.00, but comes with a free pencil and notepad )

And, of course it will still have the registery, activation, IE7, and 10 million different versions.... and all everyone's favorite features from XP and Vista!

ryannel2003
Jul 26, 2007, 05:46 PM
I had Vista Home Basic on my Dell Dimension E521 and took it from a very fast PC to a sluggish computer. Has a AMD Athlon X2 64 3800+ processor and 1GB RAM. Now that isn't a slow machine, but Vista sure did make it. The whole interface wasn't near as clever as OS X, and to make it worse most of the applications MS copied weren't even as good as the Mac (of course). I just got fed up with Vista and put XP Pro back on the machine. Couldn't be happier.

GFLPraxis
Jul 26, 2007, 06:01 PM

Jimmi, you're thinking of System Restore, which only affects the system files.

Look up Volume Shadow Copy.

I support Windows for a living and still don't know how to use it, too. Don't know anyone who does, either. Most people don't know it exists.

It's pretty much a weaker version of Time Machine that can be used for individual files, but not in other applications outside of explorer and with very poor interface.

GFLPraxis
Jul 26, 2007, 06:04 PM
On the same machine, Vista feels quicker, I don't know if I could scientifically conclude that it is, if I tested it rigorously XP would probably be quicker, but then again XP doesn't have Aero and other extras which are nice to the User experience haha.

The thought that both OS's are similar to allow more consumer adaptation is great, never though of it that way, but it does make sense that they will continue to be pretty close.

It also looks like MS's new OS isn't going to be what they are concentrating on so it sadly will be just ok and not "Wow". With all their new technological et ceteras like seadragon and the big ole' coffee table it's easy to see the Microsoft 7 being just like Vista, but something companies and colleges/ect will adopt quicker aka Vista the way it should've been done.

and ole davey pogue, sad I can't watch youtube in Thailand :( but I get it haha

Vista's interface is snappier with explorer and all, but I can tell you right now that Vista is vastly slower when using multiple applications. And I mean VASTLY. With 1-2 GB of RAM you run out of RAM with only a few apps open, and with 512 MB of RAM, you can't even run Internet Explorer usably.

After G
Jul 26, 2007, 11:44 PM
New OS in 3 years? That means 5 or 6...

infact, I'm gonna run a book on this... place your bets

not that I really care though, I don't use Windoze or any Microsoft products for that matter because I don't need to.

terrible companyYou never know, they could take a BSD and make XP a "Classic" environment like Apple did.

Of course, it would then take a decade or two.