PDA

View Full Version : Tammy Faye Messner dies

rdowns
Jul 22, 2007, 06:53 AM
Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070722/ap_on_re_us/obit_tammy_faye_messner_17;_ylt=AobWUxPq2u3.2f6_JCh3NYUE1vAI)

MrSmith
Jul 22, 2007, 11:57 AM
Hahaha. That beats MACDRIVE for #1 random thread. Here's more news: my neighbour's sister-in-law's cat died. :D Here's even more news: not everyone who comes by here is

A) American,
B) a religious nut, or
C) both

mkrishnan
Jul 22, 2007, 12:13 PM
She's still a human being who had to live with terminal cancer. Is it really necessary to make fun of her death?

MrSmith
Jul 22, 2007, 12:36 PM
She's still a human being who had to live with terminal cancer. Is it really necessary to make fun of her death?
I was referring to the fact that the poster just assumed everyone else here was American and knew who he was talking about. The Internet goes outside America. Believe me, if everyone here reported a death - however unpleasant it was - there'd be hundreds every day.

MacNut
Jul 22, 2007, 01:19 PM
I caught a glimpse of the Larry King interview and it was very sad to see what she looked like. She was suffering for over 10 years, kinda shocked that she lasted as long as she did.

For the record I think more people know who she is as Tammy Faye Bakker. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tammy_Faye_Bakker)American Christian singer, evangelist, entrepreneur, author, talk show host, and television personality. She was the former wife of televangelist, and later convicted felon, Jim Bakker, and she co-hosted with him on The PTL Club from 1976 to 1987. She was known for her tendency to wear heavy makeup, particularly mascara and false eyelashes. More recently, she was well-known for her appearance as a participant in the 2004 season of the highly rated reality show, The Surreal Life[1]. In May 2007, it was revealed that she was under hospice care for metastatic colon cancer. She died on the morning of July 20, 2007 at the age of 65.

Dagless
Jul 22, 2007, 01:29 PM
I was referring to the fact that the poster just assumed everyone else here was American and knew who he was talking about. The Internet goes outside America. Believe me, if everyone here reported a death - however unpleasant it was - there'd be hundreds every day.

That's a mega echo. I first clicked on here some time ago and there wasn't a relpy, or text, just a link. Would have been nice if there was some info.

yg17
Jul 22, 2007, 02:47 PM
My mom was watching her on LK thursday night and I made some comment like "Looks like she's going to drop dead any minute now." And Friday, she died. Sorta freaky I guess....

Bern
Jul 22, 2007, 03:15 PM
I thought she died a long time ago... beaten to death by a mob of angry makeup artists???

jsw
Jul 22, 2007, 03:25 PM
Hahaha. That beats MACDRIVE for #1 random thread. Here's more news: my neighbour's sister-in-law's cat died. :D Here's even more news: not everyone who comes by here is

A) American,
B) a religious nut, or
C) both
Thank you for pointing that out. From now on, let's please avoid any thread topics which are not universally known.

In fact, that'll make things a not easier, as we can just get rid of the "New Thread" buttons. :rolleyes:

I agree that more info would have been nice in the original post. I also think that she was fairly well known, and CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/21/tammy.faye/index.html) and BBC's UK site (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6910506.stm) both mentioned it.

Gymnut
Jul 22, 2007, 04:44 PM
Yowz, colon cancer that spread to her lungs. My family has a history of colon cancer and colonoscopies are no picnic.

rdowns
Jul 22, 2007, 05:11 PM
My bad. Obviously hit the post button before I added the description I wrote.

Never mind.

MrSmith
Jul 22, 2007, 10:06 PM
Thank you for pointing that out. From now on, let's please avoid any thread topics which are not universally known.

In fact, that'll make things a not easier, as we can just get rid of the "New Thread" buttons. :rolleyes:

I agree that more info would have been nice in the original post. I also think that she was fairly well known, and CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/21/tammy.faye/index.html) and BBC's UK site (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6910506.stm) both mentioned it.
Apologies to all. My post was out of line. :(

solvs
Jul 23, 2007, 01:25 AM
Why did I have a feeling this thread would go like this? Actually, I almost expected it to be worse. I'm sure it will be tomorrow.

Anyway, I think we've all known someone who has had cancer. It's not pleasant. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I certainly had a problem with her back in her Bakker days (though more her husband at the time) but from what I later learned about her, she didn't seem quite as bad. She actually turned out to be a fairly nice person. I don't want to send this to the political forums, so I won't get too specific, but in her later work she seemed more sincere and less hypocritical than I would have imagined. Even supporting people and causes you wouldn't think someone like her would. It's hard to get over her complicity when she and her ex were televangeling, but you also can't ignore her later work, nor the good she's done. Nor the way she went.

I try never to be happy over any death, even the worst of us... especially those who die like this.

http://omnipotentpoobah.com/2007/07/22/rip-tammy-faye/
http://yikes101.blogspot.com/search/label/In%20Memoriam
http://www.mockpaperscissors.com/blog/?p=4700

maxvamp
Jul 23, 2007, 10:53 AM

Wait...

Some time ago I read on this very forum where Mr. Humphries ( a.k.a John Inman ) passed away.

Many Americans do not know who he was. There was no poster as crude as to dismiss his passing.

Max.

My mom was watching her on LK thursday night and I made some comment like "Looks like she's going to drop dead any minute now." And Friday, she died. Sorta freaky I guess....

She did mention Hospis was called in. That is usually a death knell.

Max.

leekohler
Jul 23, 2007, 11:10 AM
I actually found Tammy to be quite entertaining. I will miss her.

teflon
Jul 23, 2007, 11:51 AM
I'm not religious nor watched any of her shows, but i have known about her fight with cancer, and her courage is to be admired. I remember hearing that even when she was 65 pounds and have difficulty moving, she went and put on make up when her friends visited her. Just a little detail that seemed inspiring at the time. She never gave up, and fought until the end. R.I.P Tammy.

IJ Reilly
Jul 23, 2007, 11:56 AM
Watching Jim and Tammy Faye on TV became kind of a thing to do in college. Between the two of them, it really was a sort of surreal experience unlike anything else on the tube at the time. Not quite as all-out weird as Dr. Gene Scott at the height of his paranoia (whom we also watched), but strange just the same.

Silencio
Jul 23, 2007, 01:14 PM
She faced the end of her life with a lot of courage and dignity. I only hope I can be as strong if I ever have to face that.

wongulous
Jul 28, 2007, 03:17 PM
As a gay man who is spiritual (though not necessarily Christian), I watched The Eyes of Tammy Faye about a year ago and I learned a whole lot about this beautiful woman as a person and what she has been through and how she has changed and helped not only the GLBTQ community but a lot of people. She was ALWAYS confident to be herself and she LOVED everyone for who they were... I will always remember Tammy Faye and I hope that one day I can be a fraction as amazing as she was. Rest in peace, Tammy.

true777
Jul 28, 2007, 05:11 PM
I have never heard of this person.

solvs
Jul 28, 2007, 08:32 PM
I have never heard of this person.

Then why did you post?

synth3tik
Jul 28, 2007, 08:33 PM
When you serve god for money, you serve the devil. See you in Hell Tammy Faye.

adrianblaine
Jul 28, 2007, 08:40 PM

I guess a lot of people will be going there then...

I never watched her, but I've heard of her. May she rest in peace

mwsh2000
Jul 29, 2007, 12:49 AM

So if a pastor gets paid for delivering a sermon every Sunday, is he serving the devil too?

MrSmith
Jul 29, 2007, 08:31 AM
So if a pastor gets paid for delivering a sermon every Sunday, is he serving the devil too?
Not on account of his salary, but he's probably humping one of the congregation (according to my experience :o). If he's Catholic... well, read the papers... ;)

Bern
Jul 30, 2007, 02:37 AM
This is Tammy Faye and Jim Bakker on the cover of Newsweek back in 1987.

mwsh2000
Jul 30, 2007, 07:02 AM
Not on account of his salary, but he's probably humping one of the congregation (according to my experience :o). If he's Catholic... well, read the papers... ;)

Well, if he's Catholic, then he would be a priest, not a pastor.

I'm sure that the vast majority of pastors and priests are good, honest people, but, unfortunately, a few bad apples have spoiled the whole bunch, according to many people.